Thursday, June 11, 2015

Sources: KU to add UAB wide receiver Quincy Perdue via transfer

Kansas University football recruiting.

Kansas University football recruiting.

Quincy Perdue, a 6-foot-3, 210-pound wide receiver from the University of Alabama-Birmingham, will leave UAB and transfer to Kansas University for the upcoming season, sources close to the KU program told the Journal-World on Thursday morning.

Perdue, a former three-star prospect out of Lassiter High in Georgia, is expected to be eligible immediately because of the ongoing situation at UAB, which not long ago dropped its football program but recently announced that it was bringing it back.

Perdue played in six games at UAB as a true freshman in 2014 and finished with 82 yards and a touchdown on two receptions, including a long haul of 75 yards.

His length, size and speed make him an ideal candidate to work down the field and he brings some needed experience — albeit not much — to one of KU's thinnest and most inexperienced positions.

Out of high school, Perdue received offers from Florida Atlantic, Marshall, Memphis and Troy. Coaches from many of those same schools checked in with him after learning he planned to transfer, with Mississippi State adding itself to the mix.

News of Perdue's addition comes at a terrific time for the Jayhawks, who, on Tuesday, dismissed former juco transfer and deep-threat wide receiver Rodriguez Coleman for violating team rules this spring.

Because of the unique circumstances surrounding Perdue's transfer, the former UAB Blazer will retain his entire clock and have four years left to play out his three remaining years of eligibility.

Comments

Jim Stauffer 4 years ago

Give these guys credit. They are not sleeping on the job.

Aaron Paisley 4 years ago

A big bodied WR is something KU desperately needs and hopefully he shows up on game days which is something Coleman never did.

Michael Maris 4 years ago

The way I see it, David Beaty and his assembled staff are truly in this deal for the LONG haul.

I felt that Turner Gill was as well. But obviously, Gill was letting his recruits run the show (from all of the past information that I've read on this website).

Weis, I felt he was just trying to prove the critics wrong on his firing from Notre Dame. And, he failed in that mission.

In reading the stories that are posted on this website, the communication from Beaty & Staff shows that they are truly excited and enthusiastic about their mission in Lawrence, Kansas. I'll admit, I'm still waiting to see more 3 Star Rated players (than 2 Star).

But, I know they have to start from scratch. And, I'll trust that they see more upside in the 2 Star rated players than the average NCAA coaching personnel does.

Final results on the field in the coming seasons will be the true testament to this current staff's evaluating skills of these incoming recruits.

Yeah, I know that Mangino's staff did a good job of evaluating the under dog recruits. And, I feel that Beaty's Staff will do the same. I say this, Mangino surrounded himself with quality assistant coaches. And, my gut feeling is that Beaty is doing the same thing.

I just have to say, 2006 through the 1st Quarter of the 2009 Season really spoiled me. And, it's really trying these days to be patient.

I'll close with this (as Coach David Beaty would say #Neat Deal!).

Andy Tweedy 4 years ago

Not so much because of this specifically, but it seems so much easier for me to get behind Beaty and his crew than either of the last couple hires. Gill just seemed in over his head, and I don't want to even get started about what I think of Weis. I know that wins need to follow, but I'm loving this change of command. Maybe it's just because these dudes seem to actually care about a place that I care so much about!

Ray Winger 4 years ago

Weis.........was all about Weis.

Jay Hawkinson 4 years ago

One of the few concerns I had with Beaty when he was hired was discipline. Sometimes the ace recruiter types fall too close to the players' coach end of the spectrum to be effective head coaches. But kicking two of the best players off the team suggests he takes discipline very seriously.

Micky Baker 4 years ago

This staff is having to work harder than most other teams to get guys to come here that will fit into what Beaty wants to do. I'm optimistic by this pick up, but I want to see it on game days. I want full out effort and every guy competing every play.