Originally published January 8, 2015 at 02:02p.m., updated January 8, 2015 at 03:41p.m.

Carlton Bragg headed to Kentucky…no…make that Kansas

Nation's No. 14 prospect misspeaks, but chooses Jayhawks

Villa Angela-St. Joseph’s Carlton Bragg (31) goes up for a shot between Lima Central Catholic’s Jake Williams (40) and Dantez Walton (32) during the first quarter of the OHSAA Division III boys’ high school basketball championship game on March 22, 2014, in Columbus, Ohio.

Coveted power forward prospect Carlton Bragg had no sinister switch planned Thursday afternoon when the 6-foot-9 senior announced his college choice at Villa Angela St. Joseph High, in Cleveland.

The nerves of the moment, though, led the graceful big man to stumble over his words, likely giving Kansas University basketball fans a genuine scare in the process.

Bragg, the No. 14-ranked recruit in the Class of 2015 by Rivals.com, walked to the podium wearing a crimson-and-blue striped tie, reached down, grabbed a red-billed KU hat, placed it on his head and declared: “Next year, I’ll be playing at the University of Kentucky.”

Instantly, the VASJ star, whose big moment was live-streamed by usatodayhss.com and Cleveland.com, covered his face with his hands and stuck out his tongue, trying to wag the misplaced K-word away.

“Kansas,” Bragg clarified. “I’m sorry.”

He chose KU over Kentucky and Illinois. Earlier, he’d also considered Arizona, UCLA and others. Bragg said the whole process had him twisting and turning daily. That’s why the five-star prospect, averaging 20 points and eight rebounds per game for the Vikings — off to a 7-0 start with wins over national powers Archbishop Carroll and Arlington Country Day — wanted to go ahead and make his college plans official now.

“A lot of stress kept coming on me,” Bragg said while fielding questions from media in attendance, “and I just wanted to go forward with my season, so I just got it out of the way.”

The soon-to-be Jayhawk said he spoke with those close to him about his choice, prayed about it and even asked current KU freshman Cliff Alexander for advice.

“He just said, ‘Go with your gut,’” Bragg said of his conversation with Alexander. “That’s what he did. That’s why I trusted and went with my gut.”

According to Bragg, the first member of the Class of 2015 to commit to coach Bill Self and Kansas, his official recruiting visit back in October played a key role in his decision-making process.

“When I went to Late Night… that’s when everything changed,” Bragg said. “It was a great experience.”

In his mind, KU took the lead that weekend.

“On my visit, toward the last day, we went to coach Self’s house, so we all got together, (were) hanging out, stuff like that,” Bragg recalled. “I felt that brotherly love they had and I felt comfortable around the guys. That’s when I knew I could be there. That’s what changed.”

It has been reported that Bragg would like to be part of a package deal with No. 2-rated Jaylen Brown, a 6-7 senior from Wheeler High in Marietta, Georgia; and No. 18 Brandon Ingram, 6-8 from Kinston (North Carolina) High. Both are also considering Kansas and Kentucky.

A reporter asked Bragg if he expected other big-name recruits to follow his lead and join him in Lawrence.

“I hope so,” he responded, with a laugh.

Later, Bragg told the Journal-World, “I believe so, yes,” when asked about convincing Brown and Ingram to follow him to KU.

Named second-team Division III All-Ohio in 2014 after averaging 18.7 points and 8.5 rebounds per game as a junior, and helping the Vikings reach the state championship game, Bragg admitted he never would’ve dreamed of this day as a youngster.

“Baseball was my sport at first, and then I hit a growth spurt,” he shared. “Ever since then I’ve been dreaming about playing college basketball. Dreams can come true.”

Even if they don’t go exactly as scripted. His VASJ coach, Babe Kwasniak, said during the event Bragg is a “rock star” in Ohio — “Everywhere he goes he gets the Justin Bieber treatment,” the coach said. Now, people also will probably remind him of his Kentucky flub.

Bragg, though, received a second take at his big moment when someone in the gymnasium asked if he could make his announcement again. This time, he got it right.

“Next year, I will be playing college basketball for the University of Kansas,” Bragg re-proclaimed, smiling.

And asked what he’d say to his new college fans, Bragg beamed and grinned and answered with a familiar three-word phrase: “Rock Chalk Jayhawk.”

Coach K speaks: Kwasniak had an idea where Bragg would end up not long after the standout returned from his visit to Lawrence.

“When Carlton came back from his visit, I could just tell he had a little bit of a different stride to him,” Kwasniak said. “Coach Self has a great track record. You go and play basketball at the University of Kansas ... it might be the most electric place to play basketball, not just in college, but in America.

“Self runs a high-low system, so that won’t be a shock to Carlton’s system because obviously with he and Dererk (Pardon, teammate), we run a high-low offense, so I think that’s something he’s going to adapt to,” Kwasniak said. “He’s used to playing with really good players. Now, obviously the caliber at Kansas is going to be great. But, not only is he used to playing with great players, our kids are used to playing against great players.”

Graham doubtful for Tech: Self on Thursday listed freshman point guard Devonté Graham (sprained right big toe) as “doubtful” for Saturday’s 2 p.m. home game against Texas Tech. Self said he’d have to practice full-go on Friday and respond well to play Saturday.

Two-year stay?: Bragg’s mentor, Michael Graves, has worked with Carlton on hoops and life skills since eighth grade.

“Hopefully the 3 or the 4,” Graves said of Bragg’s position in college. “He has a good enough jump shot to pull the bigs out, knock down threes. He can run the floor.”

Asked to compare him to somebody playing in the NBA, Graves said: “Sort of like a Kevin Love-type person. He can rebound and bang, but also hit the three. He’s kind of light so he can get up the floor.”

Asked how long he envisions Bragg playing college basketball, Graves responded, “probably two years. I think he’ll need one year to get acclimated. With the training they give him, hopefully he’ll be able to go in two years.”

Bragg told the Journal-World, “Anything would do. I’d love to be able to go in one year.”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FH1b5ihD1KE http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlVGnNjfXDI http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUM58jhY-jw

Comments

Rodney Crain 6 years, 11 months ago

Nice Aaron, when will you stop acting like a first grader?

Rodney Crain 6 years, 11 months ago

Reread what you just said lol. Now that is pretty funny

Micky Baker 6 years, 11 months ago

You have no room lecturing anyone about maturity.

Walter Bridges 6 years, 11 months ago

Aaron...you and I have had exchanges in the past but seem to moved past it. Maybe you can do the same here. And Ron...you now are a precursor to cancer. CONGRATS!

Ron Sterling 6 years, 11 months ago

Sorry? I had no idea a seemly innocent comment would cause such a poop storm.

Adam Tyler 6 years, 11 months ago

You did nothing wrong Ron.

There are some uber sensitive folks on this site.

And Rodney is off his meds....

Aaron Paisley 6 years, 11 months ago

Walter, I treat people on here they treat others. I have no issue with people having a different opinion than me. Our disagreements never resulted in personal insults from what I remember. Rodney continually takes a disrespectful and very abrasive approach to others who have a different opinion than his. I simply treat him in the same manner he treats others. That's always been my philosophy on life and I make no apologies for that approach.

Rodney Crain 6 years, 11 months ago

LOL yeah you take the high road -- "but it does nothing to remove the stick up his butt".

Try again ERRon mercy it is like 4 inches above your post for crying out loud. "I am holier than holy" you are just emabarassing yourself now..... ummm look up buddy.

You are not above the fray you are just another immature person on here. Proud of yourself? I bet!

Ron Sterling 6 years, 11 months ago

Was that at me? Just good natured ribbing. You seemed to be stressing a lot about our like of signees.

Rodney Crain 6 years, 11 months ago

Sad sad sad Ron. I am glad we finally have a recruit. You take a jab at me. Who is the fan and who is the child?

Ron Sterling 6 years, 11 months ago

That was a jab? Seems you're a little thin skinned.

Rodney Crain 6 years, 11 months ago

Still no comment on Carlton, hmmmmmmmmmm. Got anything Ronny? An original thought? You are pathetic!

Ron Sterling 6 years, 11 months ago

You realize you're just attacking me, right? Like over nothing. I guess you're right.

Rodney Crain 6 years, 11 months ago

I am still asking if you are ever going to say something about our new recruit is not an attack. My word who is really thin skinned? Do you just want to comment about me or do you have anything remotely directed about what everyone else is talking about? Grow up Ron and join the adults talking about our new player.

Ron Sterling 6 years, 11 months ago

You've called me sad, pathetic, and a child several times, now, and consider a little joke about an ulcer a 'jab'. By your own standards you're attacking me. As for Carlton, I don't owe you anything in way of conversation. And you chose to engage me in continuing this this line of inquiry, so if you don't appreciate it, I suggest you silence yourself.

Rodney Crain 6 years, 11 months ago

Still nothing on topic. You can only post about another poster. The silence is coming from you Ronny.

Adam Tyler 6 years, 11 months ago

Rodney, return to the asylum. You missed your meds this morning.

Rodney Crain 6 years, 11 months ago

We get our first 2015 recruit and your post is about me??? Pathetic Ron, just pathetic.

Ron Sterling 6 years, 11 months ago

Didn't know we were enemies. Good to know.

Rodney Crain 6 years, 11 months ago

I knew you were not a fan Ronny. You have yet to say anything about Carlton.

Suzi Marshall 6 years, 11 months ago

Heck Rodney, after all you recruiting comments, there are probably several posters, including me, that thought of you when he chose KU.

Rodney Crain 6 years, 11 months ago

Thanks Suzi, I am very glad we have a recruit. My point was it was strange that it took so long to have even one recruit this late, we usually do not have to wait this long. Now that we have one I think it is good. Ron has only commented about me, not once about Carlton, do you find that stranger? I do!

Benz Junque 6 years, 11 months ago

Good god, let it go. Your whining resulted in a good-natured joke. Learn to take it and move on.

Rodney Crain 6 years, 11 months ago

Benz I will never take it from these clowns. Never.

Adam Tyler 6 years, 11 months ago

I love how you cant see that you are the clown.

This is pure comedy.

Rodney Crain 6 years, 11 months ago

You mean the cola, RC Cola is actually really good.

Can I ask you something, do you like the name Duane?

Micky Baker 6 years, 11 months ago

This is what happens when you take cheap shots at fans and pretend like you're "mature".

Rodney Crain 6 years, 11 months ago

Shhh Micky you are not making any sense. Stop embarassing yourself!

Micky Baker 6 years, 11 months ago

You're really embarrassed yourself right now aren't you? You're a little weasel who likes to act like a big man on the internet.

Aaron Paisley 6 years, 11 months ago

This is a good get. Bragg is likely a mutiyear player who can come off the bench next year before sliding into a starting role as a sophomore. I haven't seen much video of him to know what his on court demeanor is, but it's also hard to tell from highlight videos anyway because that's a player at his best.

Rodney Crain 6 years, 11 months ago

It is a nice player settle down Aaron, geeze you have barely seen him play.

Aaron Paisley 6 years, 11 months ago

I said he's not a nice player? Thanks for telling me what my opinion is and doing all my thinking for me. My life will now be so much better because of you. Oh wait, I'm now the guy with no sense of humor that has to get the last word in on everything. Screw it, I'll go back to being the guy with the sarcastic remarks directed at the people with no sense of humor, I like that better. Have a nice day Rodney!

Aaron Paisley 6 years, 11 months ago

Clearly, now when did I say Carlton Bragg isn't a nice player?

Allison Steen 6 years, 11 months ago

Oh, yeah, I was not talking about Aaron. :)

Aaron Paisley 6 years, 11 months ago

You still haven't answered my question Rodney. For the 4th time, where did I say Carlton Bragg isn't a nice player?

Rodney Crain 6 years, 11 months ago

Sorry Aaron, I did not say you said that. I thought you were overly excited about him - "this is a good get... but then you backed that up with who knows how good he is. I said It, (he) is a nice player, not great or a good get. It is very hard to say that till you see him play defense right? As you said. Especially when there is not much video on how he plays defense. Last year when we got Cliff, he was thought to be equal to the Big Oak at Duke. Not even close at the college level. As Mick Allen pointed out Cliff although highly rated cannot play good defense yet, he has room to improve.

Now I was a little fired up about the ulcer comment and your "but it does nothing to remove the stick up his butt" point. There was no need to go there or to say that. I took exception to that. I do not take personal insults silently. I would imagine you do not either.

Aaron Paisley 6 years, 11 months ago

...but then you backed that up with who knows how good he is.

Not really what I followed with. I followed with speculation that Bragg will likely come off the bench as a freshman and then inquired about on court demeanor because highlight videos don't do a good job of doing that.

Kind of like referring to the eternally optimistic KU fans as the "pom pom homer crowd". When you stereotype a large group of KU fans, people are going to stereotype you. When you quit putting jabs at groups of people in your posts and making basically the same post in 50 different articles (that's a grammatical tool called hyperbole), people will quit taking jabs at you and making jokes when something happens in regards to the topic you made basically the same post ad nauseum. Have a nice day Rodney!

Rodney Crain 6 years, 11 months ago

After, repeat AFTER I was called a negative nancy and debbie downer, I did not cast the first stone -- LOL a large group??? EERon you cannot make an arguement to save your life. You are way way over your head but if you want to keep going please take another swing. Please this is easy, really really easy..... You must be comfortable with losing. Take another swing my little buddy.

What a disappointing opponent, you are cannot not even argue like an adult.

Aaron Paisley 6 years, 11 months ago

Of course I can't argue like an adult, you've told me I'm just a first grader and since it's on the internet, it must be true because you can't put anything on the internet that isn't true.

Micky Baker 6 years, 11 months ago

It's not that you're a negative nancy, but that you're a nancy boy.

Luca Rossi 6 years, 11 months ago

I think he originally said Kansas but put on the Kentucky hat, hahaha. They made him do it again with the right hat afterwards. Too funny. Welcome aboard big guy, rock chalk jayhawk!

Joe Ross 6 years, 11 months ago

Just the opposite. He said "Kentucky" but put on a Kansas hat. I bet you a dollar John Calipari got a good laugh out of that.

Andy Tweedy 6 years, 11 months ago

I see some of our fellow posters didn't read your post the other day...the dukes are out!!!

Rodney Crain 6 years, 11 months ago

Maybe call him like he did with that player in Oregon? Can't think of his name but got the kid to switch to KY.,..

Rodney Crain 6 years, 11 months ago

Duane got an original idea about what we are talking about? Anything?

Crickets........

Thought so. Thank you for adding to the conversation.

Duane Parr 6 years, 11 months ago

Sorry RC I don't argue with trolls but you are not a Kansas fan. So shut up!!!

Jonathan Allison 6 years, 11 months ago

KU... UK... I could see an Ohio kid getting confused on the most important day of his young life.

Suzi Marshall 6 years, 11 months ago

Now that is funny. Bragg and Alexander, providing he stays, will get along great with each other!!!!

David Kemp 6 years, 11 months ago

Who's could he not stay. That guy is truly lost right now and needs to get stronger, quicker and develop at least another year.

Russ McCaig 6 years, 11 months ago

NOW, I would like to see us get Zimmerman out of Las Vegas (7 footer)... That would give us the full package heading in to the next season...

Walter Bridges 6 years, 11 months ago

I thought it was an accident but either way...Booyah!

Suzi Marshall 6 years, 11 months ago

Self up to his usual recruiting by hauling in the big fish late. Self is a master end of game coach and recruiter.

Walter Bridges 6 years, 11 months ago

I tend to agree. I think this is the first to a solid new incoming class.

Tom Jones 6 years, 11 months ago

Not sure this qualifies as "late", but....he does have a good track record with getting spring signees, anyway...

Rodney Crain 6 years, 11 months ago

Welcome new Wildcat, umm new Jayhawk!

Yeah I guess, we finally get a 2015 recruit!

We need 2-3 more please!

Tyson Ailshie 6 years, 11 months ago

Does this mean we are now front runners for Dorsey and Zimmerman?

Rodney Crain 6 years, 11 months ago

I don't think so, but who knows. I sure would some 6'11 or taller in the 2015 class. Tyson thank you for an actual basketball post. It is always a pleasure to see your posts.

Ron Sterling 6 years, 11 months ago

Zimmerman's the only guy left that's a legit footer. Rabb is 6'10". Diallo is 6'9". I'd take either of them, tho.

Rodney Crain 6 years, 11 months ago

I agree any of them at this point, add Newman and we would have a very nice class

Len Shaffer 6 years, 11 months ago

The good thing about guys that are still in high school is that they could still be growing. If we get someone who's 6'8" or 6'9" now, they could well be 6'11" by the time they start playing at KU.

Benz Junque 6 years, 11 months ago

No, it means we're frontrunners on Graham and either Newman or Brown (whichever one jumps first).

Walter Bridges 6 years, 11 months ago

Zimmerman..not very likely, but a real good shot at Newman. This is from 247Sports which predicted Bragg correctly.

Jonathan Allison 6 years, 11 months ago

that was actually a really clever joke Tyson. No one seemed to get it. We were frontrunners for Julius Randle all along! Someone gave him the wrong hat..

Rodney Crain 6 years, 11 months ago

Somebody just used your comment on ESPN did you trade mark that yet Mick :))

Jonathan Allison 6 years, 11 months ago

Looks like he's pretty agile, but not sure if he's a tremendous jumper. He looks to have decent ball handling for a big fella, and possibly even legitimate range out to 3 pt land.

Ian Emerson 6 years, 11 months ago

Goodness we are going to be stacked next season. Very interested in seeing who gets the last scholarship spot.

Rob Bedford III 6 years, 11 months ago

Hopefully Lucas will see the writing on the wall and free up another spot for a more talented big man.

Aaron Paisley 6 years, 11 months ago

It won't be Lucas this year. Mickelson graduates this year so he could transfer without sitting like Tarik Black did when he transferred into KU. Mickelson is also behind Lucas in the rotation so Mickelson leaving after this year would make a lot more sense than Lucas would. Lucas did reshirt so if he transfers and has to sit, he would lose a season of eligibility unless he waits and becomes a graduate transfer as well after next.

Russ McCaig 6 years, 11 months ago

Stacked at all but the big guy position...really hope we can pull Zimmerman in...

Walter Bridges 6 years, 11 months ago

I would still like to see another PG but I'm not sure what is left...maybe a JUCO transfer.

Gerry Butler 6 years, 11 months ago

ya pretty funny Carlton putting on KU cap and then sayin playing for Kentucky, covering his face and apologizing your right Rodney need a couple of more, really not sure what to think. like I've said theres all kinds of gossip just checked out 247 sports again shows KU in lead for Malik and Brandon I'm not buying it, if its between the 2 I would give Brandon Ingram the nod over Malik Malik would be a nice get but I think he is Kentucky, and the only slight reason for Brandon is that Carlton has been talking about trying to get Brandon to play with him time will tell I guess. but we will be fine GO HAWKS

Rodney Crain 6 years, 11 months ago

Newman would help, a 6'10++ would help. I am just glad we have someone now. Bragg is a face up 4 mostly, but how can you complain.

Luca Rossi 6 years, 11 months ago

Ok, so I've seen some creative writing from Jack about a potential recruiting apocolypse, however, I'd be interested to see an analysis in the opposite direction. Like Rodney has said, feels like things have gone from 0 to 1000 mph quickly and with KU only have one real scholarship left to offer and so many recruits out there that have been offered to, i think it would be an interesting read. For instance, what if nobody wants to transfer, Kelly decides life at KU is too good and stays another year, etc and most of Bragg, Ingram, Malik, Brown, Zim, etc decide to form a Jayhawk package. How will the cookie crumble? Bragg was smart to declare now and take the first class ticket on board.

Chad Lee 6 years, 11 months ago

Glad to have a big are we still offering Daillo? It would be great to get two top bigs then we would just need a wing.

Aaron Paisley 6 years, 11 months ago

Wing is the bottom of KU's needs next year. Even if Oubre leaves, KU still has Greene and Svi and those two are more than capable of locking down the 3 next year. A shot blocking post followed by a 2 are KU's biggest needs.

Ron Sterling 6 years, 11 months ago

Diallo and Zimmerman are the best left in that category (and in that order).

Micky Baker 6 years, 11 months ago

For what we need the most, Zimmerman should be the first priority. We need a footer. We can also pursue Brown, Diallo,or a couple of others and still get another footer that is still in the top 50. I also think that Kansas is the favorite for Zimmerman and we need that presence at the rim and a guy that play the high low with height.

Bragg also said that he is going to try to get Brown and Newman. Either, or both of those would be good gets. I think we can only sign 3 unless someone declares for the draft at the end of this season(Oubre most likely if anyone does). If Oubre does, than here is where I think we might end up. Bragg, Newman, Brown, Zimmerman coming in to play with Ellis, Alexander, Traylor, Lucas, Mason, Svi, Selden, Graham, etc.

If we only get just Brown or Newman, then I think we should pursue a 6'10" or taller even if it's outside the top 20. There aren't any other centers left but Zimmerman who is at least that tall in the top 20. If we were to get Brown, that would help our rotation among the 4's and 5's, but it may be more beneficial for the immediate future to pick up Newman to add a little depth at point guard so we can avoid only having one if one get's injured.

Any way, I hope it turns out that we get Bragg, Zimmerman, Newman, and Brown and with Bragg now committed, he can help attract all three of them. However, if Zimmerman came to Kansas, he would be an instant starter as long as he came in right away and worked hard on defense. That presence in the paint will allow our guards to play heavier pressure on the ball with Zimmerman behind them babysitting the rim. Also, if we were to get these four guys, we'd have the top recruiting class,hands down and Kentucky wouldn't want to put us on their schedule.

Chad Lee 6 years, 11 months ago

I put Green and Svi at the two or the three they both have the skills of a two. if Selden stays it would be good to have another like KO so our team is more interchangeable. I'm curious on your opinion of what we need more than a wing we have to point guards and in my for mentioned scenario we get Daillo with his enormous wing span and great timing for blocking shots. That would stack us pretty deep with bigs. just curious on another's perspective.

Aaron Paisley 6 years, 11 months ago

I said what I believe KU's two biggest needs are. A shot blocker, Diallo or Zimmerman have the skills to fill that need although I seriously doubt KU lands either at this point. The other biggest need to me a 2 guard. KU's biggest weakness on defense is guarding the perimeter, why is that? KU doesn't have the quickness on the perimeter outside of Mason and Graham to keep opposing players out of the lane. Another quick guard would allow KU to always have 2 quick guards on the floor and would significantly improve KU's perimeter defense. Greene and Svi just aren't quick enough to guard smaller players. Selden could get there if he slims down some. I'm not calling him fat, but he is built like a linebacker and has had knee issues and dropping 15-20 lbs. would likely improve his quickness and make him a much better defender almost overnight.

I don't care what position a player projects to at the NBA lever, in college, Greene and Svi are 3's and not 2's.

Rodney Crain 6 years, 11 months ago

Carlton likes headbands will the students wear them too, I think they will!

Jonathan Briles 6 years, 11 months ago

Does Bill allow headbands? It could just be we never get guys who wear them, but I can't really think of anyone who has worn a head band for us in a long time. I do think the students would do it if Bragg does though.

Erich Hartmann 6 years, 11 months ago

I believe Self's position, as described by former players (like Sherron, Chalmers, etc..) is that Self doesnt want fashion-based distractions, be they hair or headband, etc. Player can wear whatever, if its a stable, consistent thing. Doesnt want a Rodman-like circus.

Jonathan Allison 6 years, 11 months ago

I'm glad that he allowed Kevin Young to have a Fro. I remember when Sherron had some design shaved into the side of his head for a game and then it was gone days later.

Self always has some comment about player's hair if it starts getting fan attention or media attention. I remember comments about Sasha Kaun's hair when he let it grow out a little as a Sr. And Jeff Withey's hair when it got too shaggy. Self's not been shy to tell the media that he thinks a certain player needs a haircut or to shave.

Michael Bennett 6 years, 11 months ago

Great pickup. Hopefully he's closer to Darrell Arthur or Marcus Morris than Ellis, but it's nice to have another athletic PF with a high ceiling in the pipeline.

Michael Bennett 6 years, 11 months ago

Didn't say I don't like Perry, I just hope he's more like the other two. Greater value to the team moving forward, IMO.

Ron Sterling 6 years, 11 months ago

Perry as a jr is averaging 12.4 pts and 6.4 rebounds. Marcus Morris averaged 17.2 and 7.6 the same year. Perry's ok, but I'd rather have another Marcus.

Ron Sterling 6 years, 11 months ago

I did and I named him Markieff. Unfortunately, my timing was off and he came out the same age as Marcus. On the plus side, he is doing pretty well in the league. Looks like I'll need to a third. Does Carlton sound like a good name?

Jonathan Briles 6 years, 11 months ago

I love your response. I got a good laugh at that. I also agree that Marcus is much better than Perry. Perry is a great person and I respect him, but he only leads our team in scoring and rebounding because he gets the most minutes and Bill runs the offense through him. The minutes he plays and the offense he is in should be getting him more. He also disappears far too often. Great guy, but very average basketball player.

Walter Bridges 6 years, 11 months ago

Both of which have decreased from last year... Being the 'go to guy' is not something Ellis handles well.

Erich Hartmann 6 years, 11 months ago

The best summation of Perry Ellis Portfolio, is that he is like a UNC-style MickeyD: Got moves, skills, got shooting touch...but is soft regarding physicality to a fault, which he is trying hard to overcome. There's games this season where he fights for boards, and other games where old tendencies resurface (where he disappears). He's a classic Roy big. Just not a banger like Self would prefer. Similar analysis to Elijah Johnson, who while very skilled, did not like the limelight nor physical contact (as much as Sherron or Tyshawn or even Mason).

But actually, we are building the perfect situation for Perry: A bruiser MickeyD (Alexander), or Traylor in the same role...and a defense-occupying PG (Mason), along with 2 more MickeyDs doing damage from wings (Selden, Oubre). So Perry can be the happier quiet assassin. Again the analogy to EJ, where he was deadly in his jr season, operating behind the headliners Thomas Robinson and Tyshawn.

Luca Rossi 6 years, 11 months ago

"I don't really care for minutes, I just want to be part of the team," Bragg told ESPN.com after his Kansas visit. "Freshmen aren't supposed to be playing all the time. It doesn't matter to me. I'll be a hustler, rebounder, shooter, passer. I can fit in real good."

Wow, this kid sounds like he has a great head on his shoulders and is thinking long term with this decision. This is the kind of attitude that fans love to hear and what makes for a great teammate. He's moving up my list of favorite players already!

Bryce Landon 6 years, 11 months ago

I like this guy; he's thinking old-school!

Russ McCaig 6 years, 11 months ago

yeah but...before Frank played a single game for KU, I asked him how a HS kid that was a scoring machine comes into a program like KU and becomes more of a fascillitator. He said, "I don't need to score, I got a 7 footer (Withey), Wiggins, Ellis.." It was obvious from the get-go he wanted to score (and I am all for that!!). My point is, they know what to say when the mic is in their face....glad he is coming...

Erich Hartmann 6 years, 11 months ago

And as it turns out, we really have relied on Frank's scoring, but he has indeed done an admirable job of facilitating, as well as bringing his consistent hustle every single game.

Joe Ross 6 years, 11 months ago

Just wanted to express the hope again that the personal attacks can stop. It's a great day for the Jayhawks, isnt it? No need to have it devolve into anything personal. Lets stop the attacks on each other and start celebrating the huge get on the recruit! Rock Chalk!

Benz Junque 6 years, 11 months ago

There's a difference between attacking someone and harmlessly joking around. "If you can't laugh at yourself them you can't laugh at other people and who wants to live in a world where you can't laugh at other people." If Rodney wants to be able to constantly harass and belittle people then I think he can learn to take a harmless jab.

Rodney Crain 6 years, 11 months ago

I am not sure you understand what you are saying Benz. I make points about our program, some positive and some negative. When someone wants to reply with a label or a joke, harmless as you think or not I take excpetion to it. Why is there a need to do that? Especially when none tof them are people I know, like my friends or family. When I start to reflect that behavior, they go nuts. I only reply to those who want to belittle me, not the other way around. It is always in response. They hate it, yet they started it in most cases. Negative Nancy, Debbie Downer and many others.

I am not going away, I am not scared or concerned about the immature posters on here. It is curious that they sometimes never comment about the article or what someone is saying about it. Strange that someone comes onto a posting area and never comments about the subject, just me. Why do they do that Benz? I think there is a name for posters like that isn't there?

I would also think you yourself should be open to defending yourself. Someone on here immaturely flagged every article you posted on, even in most cases just to mess with you. It was unfair and unwarrented but because they did not like your realistic approach they acted like a child and tried to silence you. I spoke out to you that it was unfair. Was that a harmless joke to you?

I reflect to people not because I can't take a joke, it is because one was made where it has no place.

Disagree with what I said, point out why you are right in your view, show me with facts, stats or your reasoning why you perspective is better. I react well to that and just yesterday agreed with someone that my view about seeding was wrong. Just do it with respect.

There are many on here who have told me privately and publically they appreciate my point of view and my right to say it. I am not alone, I just happen to be one that will not go silently into the night.

Finally, I would be fine if no one would reply to me or call me out. I just want to say my 2 cents and move on.

Ron Sterling 6 years, 11 months ago

You really just want to say your piece and move on? Why, then, do you regularly greet people that question your opinions with open hostility and name calling? Why do you go to such lengths to always get the last word in an exchange? And why are you the one to decide what is and isn't an appropriate place to make a joke? Are you a share holder in the LJW or it's parent company? Do you make some sort of fiduciary contribution to the upkeep of this forum that the rest of us don't? Are you in their employ to moderate the discussion here?

You absolutely have the right to say whatever you want, but so does everyone else here, on topic or not. And when you choose to exercise that right, you open yourself up to criticism and complaint, don't you? You want to claim the sympathy of the victim, but you're fully willing to jump all over people for simply not sharing your point of view or not liking what you have to say. How do you justify that hypocrisy? If you don't like the way people react to your behavior, maybe it's a good time to consider how you behave. If you truly feel disrespected, why not just say so? I certainly wasn't out to disrespect you. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me you're no less oppressive than your supposed oppressors.

I noted your concern about our lack of recruits on several threads. I made a joke as to whether or Bragg's commitment would alleviate your stress (and for the record, I do consider that an 'on topic' post). If you feel disrespected by that, that's on you. I'm not going to apologize for your feelings, but I will tell you, for what it's worth, no harm was meant.

Rodney Crain 6 years, 11 months ago

Ronny I could care less what you do or what you think but if you want to disrespect me, in a minor or major way I am going to let you know that I do not appreaciate non sports related comments. You did not question my opinion you said I had an ulcer from worrying about no commits. Cheap low forehead shot from someone I am not a freind of. When I do it back to you, act like a child, you get fired up. So if you want to have an adult conversation and debate my point please lets debate a sports point, if you want to talk about me having an ulcer or anything else non sports related I am going to reflect back your childish behavior. It has no place on a sports forum, that is where we are if you have not noticed, not some place to make childish jokes to belittle someone for your amusement. Others see below are tired of it too.

It was disrespectful to me, it is not a LJW issue, where did you go to school for heavens sake. You want to disrespect me like a child I can defend myself with no issue. I can do this all day long if you want.

Your argument is mute about Hypocrisy. I did not throw the first stone buddy. That honor is all yours with your first grade humor. You do not make that comment and none of this happens. Think about that. If you would have asked me for my response now that we have a commit, since I was so concerned before, I would have answered you that I was happy we have someone. It looks like others are coming too. But you would have to agree it was a longer wait than what we are used to. Just like I did below for someone who spoke to me like an adult.

We are here because you went for a cheap laugh and I took exception to it.

Ron Sterling 6 years, 11 months ago

Well, like I said, it's your's to take exception to. You're right that I don't know you, but based on your behavior, I don't care to. I'm sure the feeling is mutual.

If you think my joke was childish and cheap, that's your opinion. If you feel that you're the adult in this scenario, then maybe you could have just expressed that it was hurtful to you. But you didn't. Regardless, it doesn't change the fact that you get to choose your own behavior. I don't decide your reactions for you. I never attacked you. Your behavior is untoward. You don't have a moral high ground to stand on. You'll elicit no sympathy nor apologies here. Regardless, no one owes you this forum. If you don't like my jokes, don't like them. It has no bearing on whether or not I'll make them in the future. Also, the word you're looking for is 'moot', not 'mute'. But I'll enjoy a chuckle at the irony of the guy whose idea of justice is 'eye for an eye' runs around calling everyone else childish. As for where I went to school, KU. How about yourself?

Rodney Crain 6 years, 11 months ago

Going to school and graduating are two different things I guess. I have degrees at KU, Avila, and the U of Cent OK.

look buddy, if you want to keep going I would love to, its like arguing with my 7 year old neice, easy to win.

You were wrong, you can't admit it, and I have no respect for that. I could really care less what you think. But this all started by you making a childish poor taste joke about me. I will never, never stop standing up for myself to people like you. Too many have let your disrespect go which is why you cannot handle someone who stands up to you.

Look in the mirror, like what you see tonight? Didn't think so.

Pathetic.

Ron Sterling 6 years, 11 months ago

I was wrong about your ulcer? I never actually thought you had one. That's part of what makes it a joke.

So were you born in this country, Rodney? If so, you' re the first person I've ever met that would consider that a tasteless joke. Ulcers don't kill people or anything. They certainly don't feel good, but they're far from a serious medical issue. Actually, the history of ulcers and what we've learned about them is kind of fascinating. In fact, my joke doesn't even really work in this day and age because we now know that ulcers aren't even caused by stress. They're the result of a certain bacterial infection. The doctors who figured that out won the Nobel prize for their research, and ulcers are now 100% treatable today.

So how did you manage to make it through so many schools and reach the age of 56 without anyone ever correcting you about 'moot point' versus 'mute point'? You may want to inquire about getting a refund at the registrar.

Anyway, you're the only one operating under the misapprehension that we're having an argument of any sort. We aren't. I'm just pointing out to you that the reason so many people on here give you grief is because you lack basic social graces and the ability to read cues. In short, you're a jerk. Thus, I have no interest in soliciting your respect or getting to know you better. You're not standing up for yourself. You're just behaving poorly. But allow me a moment to take you up on your challenge:

I'm looking in the mirror. Uh oh. I liked what I saw. Sorry. You thought wrong. Thanks for playing. Oh. And I'm working late tonight. Gotta do a bunch of data clean up for a client before some training tomorrow, so sure, I'm game. We can go all night. I'll get something importing, then I can check back here and see what you have to say. Should be fun!

Rodney Crain 6 years, 11 months ago

Ron, let's face facts, I think your a punk, and I have no respect for you. I would like to take a much different course. Don't post to me unless you are respectful. I will do the same. If you want to keep acting like a child who thinks they are clever, I will reply with comments about our team, program, and coach. I suspect you will be confused and not know what to do, but we can only hope for the best that you do.

Ron Sterling 6 years, 11 months ago

I'm a punk? Ok. I don't need to overreact to your labeling me. I made a joke that I thought you might take in good humor on a happy occasion. I was wrong. If that makes me a punk in your view, so be it. As I said, I'm not interested in garnering your respect, but since our distaste for one another is mutual, I'll accept your detente. Let's just agree to not post to or about one another in the future.

Benz Junque 6 years, 11 months ago

You're so desperate top make everyone on here look like stupid children. You constantly berate and belittle other users. You aren't standing up for yourself. You're trying to make everyone else look bad so that you feel better. Look up Bullying 101 and every character trait listed has been hit by you in this thread alone. You aren't accomplishing anything here tonight except to make this place a lot less enjoyable to use. And before you say it, yes, I know, you don't care what I think and I am childish and pathetic. Second verse, same as the first...

Rodney Crain 6 years, 11 months ago

I disagree. I did not cast the first insult, these weak minded posters who only want to disrespect me will always get a reply. They hate to be insulted, everyone else hates the noise it creates but I do not care. Explain to me Benz why they can call me names, be disrespectful and that I am the only one in the wrong to do the same things. I try to post about sports on here, others post on here I have stick up my butt. If you want to make a valid point about this crap include everyone who is doing this, Adam, DuAne, Aaron, Ron, Micky, et all. Why single out just me?

No one replies to me like a child I have nothing to say. You are wrong to just say to me, this is all your fault.

Benz Junque 6 years, 11 months ago

Rodney, you have flat out BASHED a number of users on this site repeatedly. I get that you think you're the "never backs down" guy but you're really just the annoying wannabe bully that every hates having to tolerate to use this site. One freaking harmless poke and you go full Rain Man. If you cannot take it them don't dish it out.

Benz Junque 6 years, 11 months ago

Rodney, you have flat out BASHED a number of users on this site repeatedly. I get that you think you're the "never backs down" guy but you're really just the annoying wannabe bully that every hates having to tolerate to use this site. One freaking harmless poke and you go full Rain Man. If you cannot take it then don't dish it out.

John Fitzgerald 6 years, 11 months ago

Amen. I've been guilty of this before but I agree they need to stop. We're a family here!

Micky Baker 6 years, 11 months ago

Apparently Rodney doesn't want to be a part of it.

Rodney Crain 6 years, 11 months ago

And were back lol. It makes it so hard Joe, it really really does.

See what I have to deal with?

Micky Baker 6 years, 11 months ago

Rodney, you do remember what happened after the Baylor game right. I was discussing the game and disagreed with you and you kept saying move on? Then you said I couldn't read, when apparently you were just being "respectful" by telling me to move one. You are a piece of crap.

Brad Farha 6 years, 11 months ago

Agreed. The tit for tat on this board is getting old.

Rodney Crain 6 years, 11 months ago

Joe I agree. I wish people would just stop the disrespect. I will not stand for it no matter how minor.

Make a point about the program or the article or disagree with something I said. Why do you have to call anyone a name? Or be derogotory about someone. It is childish.

I appologize it disolves into this, but even yesterday someone after a hard win, after I had been positive all day, all they could do was rail on me, not what I said or even posted. I asked them 5 times to stop before I replied. They never did.

I really would prefer they ignore me altogether.

Rodney Crain 6 years, 11 months ago

Now that is very funny Micky. That is like the pot calling the kettle black.

Do you know who closed a great live post session with hostility yesterday - You did.

I asked you to stop 4 or 5 times and agree to disagree and you just could not and each time you raised your ire.

You could not just stop.

Why is that? I wonder, no need to reply I know... that was a rhetorical question.

Adam Tyler 6 years, 11 months ago

Rodney,

You act like a complete d-bag when you are off the meds.

Please help yourself, and others, and just take a couple happy pills.

Rodney Crain 6 years, 11 months ago

Adam are you in the 2nd grade with Ronny and ERRon? It sounds like it.

DO you have anything to say about Carlton, our program, our coach?

No -- did not think so, look if you need help, and it sounds like you might, this is a S P O R T S forum. Not a place for 2nd grade insults. If you have nothing to say about sports please try watching a soap opera where your made up self made drama can find a real home.

Please seek some kind of help...

Micky Baker 6 years, 11 months ago

You're getting this because of your cheap shot against the fans. You brought this on yourself because YOU'RE IMMATURE. Right after the Baylor game, you were being immature, and you're still being immature now. What does it take for you to get it? This is all your fault.

Daniel Reinigungsmittel 6 years, 11 months ago

Some of us can exist in more than one place in the big wide world web.

Feel free to just stay here and argue with the same four idiots.

Rodney Crain 6 years, 11 months ago

Daniel you arguing with a pebble (Adam), doing so with reason and as an adult, pebble does not know what that is. Good luck with that. I agree with you by the way.

Rodney Crain 6 years, 11 months ago

As you can see below, the good fight is here. I have no fear of fools, but thanks for the offer Adam.

Micky Baker 6 years, 11 months ago

That's probably true. You would have to be afraid of yourself if you were afraid of fools.

Rodney Crain 6 years, 11 months ago

LOL I don't think you understand what you said. Cause it makes no sense Micky, another swing and a miss, what a surprise.

Micky Baker 6 years, 11 months ago

Touch a nerve? It usually touches a nerve when it's true, especially with idiots like you.

Luca Rossi 6 years, 11 months ago

I agree with you Rod, I have seen the difference in you're posts the past day or so and can tell you're making effort to make this site a better environment.

Rodney Crain 6 years, 11 months ago

Thank you Luca. I would prefer to just talk about sports in here, but a small group think it is fun to talk about me. Never actually talking about our program, our coach. Again thank you for your support.

Micky Baker 6 years, 11 months ago

If that's what you prefer, then why did you mention "the homer crowd"?

John Randall 6 years, 11 months ago

Noble sentiment, Joe, but any group finding their way from adolescence to adulthood is bound to include a fair number who believe putting others down somehow makes it ok they don't have the class to put themselves up. Some of them outgrow that behavior, some of them don't – even with your and my help.

Glen Miller 6 years, 11 months ago

Why any of you argue with Rodney is beyond me..... it's pointless. Kind of like arguing with a 2 year old. They can hear you, but not understand what you or themselves are saying.

Rodney Crain 6 years, 11 months ago

I agree Glen I would prefer either a comment on what I said or nothing. Not all the name calling and labeling because I have different view than you might have. The immaturity on this site is amazing, especially when I reflect what they say back at them and they go nuts. What is good for the goose is good for the gander.

I thank you for trying to make a point, although yours has nothing to do with our team, program or coach. Why is that Glen?

Glen Miller 6 years, 11 months ago

You need to realize that some of the conversation isn't always going to be directed at our team or sports necessarily and that's absolutely OK. This site, while about KU athletics is also a place where we as fans are entitled to talk about whatever we deem necessary. If we'd like to talk about our favorite colors, we can. If we'd like to talk about what we think is the best movie of all time, we can. If we'd like to tell someone they are being an arrogant jerk, we can. There are no rules or guidelines to what we can talk about on this site, only the language and manner in which we talk. I think you are forgetting that Mr. Crain. So if you don't like it, leave or maybe just don't comment on that topic. Now there is a novel idea! Be the mature one and just ignore it. People call you a name, oh well. Someone tells you to stop hating, oh well. Someone brings you up in their post, no biggie. Unless you feel threatened or have been done wrong, let it slide and just laugh dude. Don't get so set on trying to make everyone that doesn't think much of you look bad. In the end you just end up making yourself look like the fool. From what I have seen of your sometimes very ignorant and combative posts, you seek a fight and sometimes when there wasn't even a fight to begin with. You're a bully who thinks everyone should agree with you, yet want us to keep an open mind. You make me laugh, I think you're just seeking attention that you may not get in your real world life. If that's the case, go make some new friends..... oh, and try not to demean all of them, like you do all of us.

As for the subject matter of this article...... the kid was nervous and he goofed. I wasn't upset, bitter or embarrassed that he said Kentucky. Stuff happens and in the end, he chose Kansas. That's all that really matters to me.

Rodney Crain 6 years, 11 months ago

Glen your illogical reasoning thus gives me the right to say what I want to anyone on here who I feel disrespects me, without a call for me to act certain way. Or let some stupid insensitive misplaced comment be ignored without response even though it has nothing to do with the site. Why does someone who clearly has a personal negative agenda given a pass like a spoiled child is given? I say enough of the disrespect.

I post realistic comments, both positive and negative. The weak minded childish responses that are directed to me, with no effort to disagree with what I said, but only to diminish me personally because Ii do not say what they think someone should say on here but also the way it should be said, RCJH are uncalled for. These childish comments come from a very small group on here that feel it is not only acceptable to do this but their duty to. When reflected back to them they go nuts as expected. You see Glen they beleive that free speech on here is their right, not anyone else's who might disagree with them. They are the ones trying bully me to their way of thinking. When I verbally pop them in the nose they do not like it.

I actually seek and prefer they ignore me. They prove they cannot by using ignorant and combative comments, which I reply with.

So your comments about me are wrong, I am also not a victim or a bully. I am someone who not going to let a spoiled child call me names without retort. Keep this in mind on this thread, if they did not call me out, I would have only spoken about the program and our new recruit.

Joe Norton 6 years, 11 months ago

Carlton gets it. How this kid understands how it will be at KU is to how good Self is at recruiting! He sold a top #20 kid that could start at 95% of most places and chose KU. Self is worth every penny. Also having Hudy on staff is big too. Carlton has a sweet shot for being 6 ft 9.

Nicholas Cederlind 6 years, 11 months ago

Make no mistake, Jerrance Howard's Chicago recruiting ties must have come through huge to pull Bragg away from Illinois (and then UK!). Way to go, coach Howard!

Gerry Butler 6 years, 11 months ago

Rodney, hey guy 1st let me apologize to you I have to be truthful I have taken exception to some things you have said but everyone has their opinion right? isn't that what America is all about freedom of speech? of expression? so with that being said I agree with you and you DO HAVE some solid points at times and I like that I feel you are knowledigle on the game. me I'm just an old 60 yr old life long Jayhawk fan lol. but anyways yes this is surpose to be a BASKETBALL FORUM on this article as well as so many others I know you have seen me say Carlton is a good catch mentioned quite some time back I felt Carlton was ours to lose got kinda nervous, shaky but he came thru I dunno about you Rodney but I feel maybe and its a slight maybe I think we can land Malik would be huge but with Frank being here and Devonte not so sure, my gut still feels he is Kentucky bound although liie I said previously 247 sports show us in the lead for him and Brandon ingram. a side note Rodney I think probably the thing that kinda got me on you personally was I got the impression you wewnt into a panic mode since we hadn't gotten any recruits until today ya true its later then normal but had full confidence in Bill that t would come. but bud let me say again I apologize you have some on here that I think have a personal vendetta against you and that's sad, aren't we all KU fans don't we unite? anyway Rodney keep it up your an alright guy but of course this is coming like I said from a 60 yr old beat up worn down Jayhawk fan from way back lmao keep posting bud. no one says we have to agree 100% of the time. but this is basketball forum guys so her is an idea lets talk basketball. GO HAWKS

Joe Ross 6 years, 11 months ago

Excellent, Gerry. It's not about side-choosing. When you come into a sports forum you have to expect that there will be opinions that range from one end of the spectrum to the other. So Rodney's views (which are sometimes very like my own) happen to be on one end of the spectrum. Someone's is going to be...even if Rodney weren't here. We have to start respecting the fact that opinions here aren't all going to be of the same variety. What a joy it was last night on the live message board during the game. Not a single argument that I recall. I dont believe Ive ever seen that. We can disagree without being personal. I absolutely do NOT intend to start anything with this, but this is a day where we landed a very BIG recruit and a lot of the conversation today is geared toward personal insults. I agree with someone above who says it's getting old, so I have decided to politely campaign for civility...beginning with myself. Let's everyone just do the "Carlton"!

Rodney Crain 6 years, 11 months ago

Thank you Gerry, I apologize to you as well. I am a 56 year old fan, so Gerry we are close in age. I have more things falling off then I care to mention. :)!

Thank you Joe we have made our peace. Joe is in the medical profession and I see more than my share of those now too, so I have the utmost respect for his profession and his point of view on here.

Joe you are right on the live post yesterday, even in a close game, where we did not play our best, it was a fun time, we all respected each other’s views, it felt like we were all watching it in the same room. It was kind of fun.

Tom Jones and I had a wonderful discussion about what I said about our future seed in the NCAA's a day or two ago. He made some great points. I told him I was wrong in what I said and we parted with a good debate and a change of perspective. Also mutual respect for each other. I mention this to say it is ok to disagree, change your mind, be happy one day be upset on game day, et al... People can have a debate without degrading the conversation. There is no minor, all in fun joke, if it comes from someone you do not know.

What has to stop, what I cannot stand for is the lack of respect for someone’s point of view, not just for me but for anyone else's point of view. I will not let that pass without a note. Especially when all that person does it comment on the person and not the program.

Joe you are absolutely correct - This is a sports forum. Lets keep the conversation about sports.

I optimistically join your cause. I do hope you start something with this actually. It would be nice to have a repeat of the live post yesterday. That was enjoyable.

Rodney Crain 6 years, 11 months ago

Little ol me Adam lol The disrespect of others views taints this site. If no one would disrespect me what could I say?

Micky Baker 6 years, 11 months ago

Rodney, start treating other people respectfully. You're the problem. How many times do you have to be told and by how many people? Swallow your pride.

Rodney Crain 6 years, 11 months ago

Swallow yours Micky, Adam, Ron, et al I respond to disrespectful comments with disrespect.

Justin Millsap 6 years, 11 months ago

There's an opportunity for personal growth here, Mr. Crain. Responding in kind to disrespect is really no better than being disrespectful in the first place. I wish you good health and happiness.

Rodney Crain 6 years, 11 months ago

Turning the other cheek Justin only you gets you slapped again from someone who only has vengeance in their hand.

Micky Baker 6 years, 11 months ago

Rodney, you're the one that started this. We all know you're not man enough to acknowledge it. You have mommy issues.

Rodney Crain 6 years, 11 months ago

I called myself someone who has a stick up their butt? Who is a Debbie Downer, a plague, a worry wort, a dram queen, a Negative Nancy??? I have responded to those names, not began any post with them. Reread what you type Micky, please for the love of everything holy, please think about what you are saying. Never seen someone so wrong so often. Mercy...

Micky Baker 6 years, 11 months ago

I do think about what I'm saying. I saw how disingenuous you were after the Baylor game when I was talking about what you posted. You then still acted disrespectfully. You're not an honest person.

Rodney Crain 6 years, 11 months ago

So you agree I do not start any of this childish behavior? Thank you Micky. Most sense you have made in years.

On the Baylor end of the live post section. You replied to me, I replied to you. We had a difference of opinion. You restated your point, I repied with something like, its a win, its been a good day, lets agree to disagree, (This is something adults do by the way Micky...). You got all mad cause I decided to end our exchange with a simple truce. You do not think what you are going to say.

Micky say anything you want about me but what you have done, especially lately is try to pick fights, go out of your way to be a jerk, and as at the end of the Baylor game refuse to act like an adult. So buddy, whatever you are trying to say, whatever point you are trying to make is moot. (thanks Ron LOL I know the different btw just did not catch my grammer mistake)...

I just do not care what you say, you have no idea how to act like an adult. So... if you want to continue to talk just about me, I am going to reply to you now with random meaningless facts that make no sense. Just like you do. Kiss Kiss Micky... what a troll.

Chad Lee 6 years, 11 months ago

The kid probably came to this site to hear how excited the fans were and now he is just thinking Who is Rodney?

Rodney Crain 6 years, 11 months ago

I am excited about Bragg Chad, just not the fans who like to disrespect other posters.

Joe Baker 6 years, 11 months ago

Look out...he reminds me a lot of a much more talented DBlock. Bill Self is going to have a field day with this kid. He is the prototypical Bill Self post player. He will be called "CBlock." This kid is a force and I love his attitude, swager, and power. I want to see him get some Hudyizing ASAP. I bet she can't wait to get a hold of him. This kid won't be at KU long folks! He's already NBA bound.

Let's enjoy and hope he can bring us a championship. I really wish we had DMan to develop this kid.

Congrats to Bill Self and Co...great catch. Now, let's definitely get Zim, Brown and/or Ingram.

Mark Lindrud 6 years, 11 months ago

Great get here, and this can get the ball rolling so to speak. I would be happy getting Newman and Zimmerman in this class personally. I know kids like to be a package deal, but we need a big man, and from what I gather Newman can shoot the rock, which we can use another shooter. I know people speak about Brown, but all I see is an OAD and I would like to avoid those if possible, which I know is not guaranteed. .

My first and only thought was and has been who are we bringing in along with Bragg because seeing a McDonald's All-American type kid has to bring attention to us and you know these kids start recruiting each other to come to the school that they are attending, which is a big reason I am happy we got him. Now, I am also happy he is another big body that we need because our rebounding this year is below average so bringing in Bragg, and hopefully Zimmerman would be HUGE for next year.

Glen Miller 6 years, 11 months ago

Zimmerman isn't coming to Kansas..... he's all but ruled us out.

Joe Norton 6 years, 11 months ago

Lots of folks were worried that Self lost his touch I recruiting. Of course we were all wrong. He's got coaches and friends in high places. If we get another top #20 prospect in a spot we need we are good to go. Two more top 20 recruits and Self is again one of the best recruiters in the biz. As some say Trust in Self.

Bryce Landon 6 years, 11 months ago

I'll trust Self more fully when he gets us to another Final Four.

John Randall 6 years, 11 months ago

It sure is untrustworthy of HCBS to keep us waiting 3 years or more between FFs. Damn, I think I'm getting sarcastic in my old age.

Michael Lorraine 6 years, 11 months ago

We own the bragging rights now. Sorry. That was bad but I bet we’ll see plenty of similar type headlines in the future.

Gerry Butler 6 years, 11 months ago

was watching recruiting nation off ESPNU this afternoon at about 5:45 and they talked about Carlton said how he would fit perfectly in Coaches high low system and how he had range being able to shoot the three but yet very physical like to hear these type of things and once again this basketball guru can't remember his name have read a lot of articles from him but again HEY I'm 60 lol that's what happens you start to lose your memory old timers disease lol but still dropping hints as to where this MAY be just the beginning for KU how they could end up challenging for the nu 1 or 2nd spot in recruiting for the year, he did this without mentioning names and re-stating that like 7 out of the top 10 have not committed and KU in on all of them, but also stating KU_UK going head to head on most of them and like I stated previously the reasoning of his thoughts were Malik Newman, Brandon Ingram, the Zimmerman kid, Diallo, Jaylen Brown, all we are in on going to be interesting to see how it pans out. and one last thing Rodney I know bud you talking about things falling off because of our age that's to much TMI bud lol, just messin with you. one thing that's not falling off at age 60 for me is my weight I wish I could get that to fall off GO HAWKS

Rodney Crain 6 years, 11 months ago

It is promising Gerry. Meyer has Zimmerman going to UCLA, I have no idea why he would go there, that program is going to take a while to turn around and they have a lack of players. I watched their game against USC and they looked out of sync. We need a big guy, you and I already agreed to that.

Great Post!

Daniel Reinigungsmittel 6 years, 11 months ago

Wow. Great recruit!!

I don't know what's going on here in the comments with all the bizarre bickering, but if you want to read and contribute to some good-natured fan chat and analysis without the personal drama and facebook baloney, head over to www.kubuckets.com

Constructive... informative... no flame wars...

Jay Reynolds 6 years, 11 months ago

thumbs up. Lurk mostly, but i read stories here and kubuckets both every day! Getting sick of the stupid stuff in here tho. It's all about some of these dudes. LOL

Daniel Reinigungsmittel 6 years, 11 months ago

Chillax, grasshopper, you seem like a decent guy, and I admire your tenacity. No joke. We're on the same side. It's not like I'm trying to steal your girlfriend or something... unless she wants to talk hoops over at www.kubuckets.com.

Benz Junque 6 years, 11 months ago

Yes, that's why I do not participate. I have no interest in reading fifty page posts.

Jonathan Allison 6 years, 11 months ago

I can't view kubuckets.com because my employer won't let me update my web browser from Netscape Navigator.

Tony Bandle 6 years, 11 months ago

Well, I finally got on the site after a long day at the office [as a 66 year-old KU graduate architect and Vice-President not much of my time is my own]. As I "fast-forwarded" through the 4th grade playground double dog dare arguments, I think all of you posters have made some great 'basketball" points:

1] Great get by why so long to get it.

2] Great potential but let's wait and see what we have.

3] We have three maybe four chairs, one just got taken and there are still five or six guys walking around in the circle waiting for the music to stop...who gets left standing?

4] I was a taught that freedom of speech carries the obligation of using it wisely because what you say ends up showing who you are.

5] PS.I like all of you guys and gals because I know we are all Jayhawks.

6] PSS Totally agree with "Hot Rod" in that we need a footer to make this recruiting class a winner.

7] Once again, I'm so late no one will see this post anyway but everybody take care and Go Hawks!!!

Suzi Marshall 6 years, 11 months ago

I read it.

With regards to your first amendment statement: "Shouting fire in a crowded theater" is a popular metaphor for speech made for the principal purpose of creating unnecessary panic. The phrase references Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.'s opinion in the SCOTUS case Schenck v. United States in 1919, which held that the defendant's speech in opposition to the draft during World War I was not protected free speech under the First Amendment.

Rodney Crain 6 years, 11 months ago

Great post Tony. 1 & 2 I agree 1000%, on ESPN he even says he has a long ways to go and does consider himself a OAD. ALso lists him at 6'10 maybe he is still growing??? 3) totally agree - we need 2 more min. 4) I wish I could always take the high road, I am going to try to stay on point more. There are only a few on here who think like children, its not too bad I have dealt with brats before. I am getting so many people supporting me for standing up to them though. It has been refreshing to see how many supportive posts or private emails I have received.
5) sometimes that does not matter unless you are unconditional with your praise for the program. sigh 6) thanks, like I said need 2-3 more please 7) I read it :) Always a pleasure to see your thoughts.

SOrry Carlton does NOT consider himself a OAD

Rodney Crain 6 years, 11 months ago

I always like your references to history Suzi. Very Knowledgeable, you would be a great partner in trival pursuit... We have had good debates, but you are always interesting.

My 2 cents on the topic - Freedom of speech comes with a price that many do not think about. If we choose not to temper our speech, which is fine as to per the essence of that freedom, then we must accept that others will react, sometimes even venomously, to what we say, and we should be prepared for that consequence. Decide if you feel this price is worth voicing the words before you speak.

I do not seek out to belittle others on here with my program related inital posts, as I have stated many times I would prefer to just post my thoughts and move on. It is when I, just I, feel that I have been disrespected for having a different view. Then my venom, right or wrong responds. I am adult enough to at least try to shake hands and move forward with decorum after I calm down. Those that continue to respond to me with venom do not wish to put down the sword. They can carry that weight, I at least no longer wish to.

Suzi Marshall 6 years, 11 months ago

I know what you mean. When I've got into spats on this site, I tend to ignore them after awhile.

Nevertheless, I always take solace in the fact the KU BBall is such a uniting factor. I always think of Owen’s ’70-’71 Final Four team that united the entire campus. It was the previous year when Abby the jerk Hoffman spoke in AFT with the Union being burned a week later.

Tyler Capone 6 years, 11 months ago

Id rather have Ingram and Brown than Zimmerman to be honest..but maybe thats just me

Chris Shaw 6 years, 11 months ago

Amazing to me that a recruit signing garners 168 posts and after today probably well over 200...Yet, you can't a get a discussion about the X's and O's of what happened after the Baylor game. Something wrong with that.

I am glad Bragg signed early, but if I am advising a so-called "Blue Chip" recruit...I would never have them sign early. In this day and age of Basketball and the "Business" side of an amateur sport (That is completely sarcastic statement)...too many variables involved with Coaches, Coaches decisions from one month to the next, transfers, player turnover, etc.

Welcome to the Phog, Bragg!

Benz Junque 6 years, 11 months ago

He committed yesterday. He can't actually sign until April.

Jim Stauffer 6 years, 11 months ago

Didn't have time to read all the comments, but I wonder if everyone else is as curious as I am about who was on the first team of that Region III BB team in Ohio. How could this kid not make every first team that is picked in that State?

Erich Hartmann 6 years, 11 months ago

Welcome to KU, Carlton! He will be great for us!

RCJH

Rodney Crain 6 years, 11 months ago

Erich this might be the best post on this thread.

I am serious.

Mike Riches 6 years, 11 months ago

Hopefully Bragg will be able to contribute next year, but the most exciting part of this announcement to me is that it (presumably) adds a much-needed piece to our 16/17 team. I realize not everyone agrees with this, but I'm one who believes that the best way to build a team in this OAD era is to get a good mix of experience and young talent, so getting a likely multi-year guy like Bragg is huge. Assuming we still lose Svi after next year, and barring any other transfers/early exits, we should have in 16/17:

Graham (JR)

Mason (SR)

Greene (SR)

Bragg (SO)

Lucas (SR)

I'm not saying that's our starting five, obviously A LOT can and will happen in the next two years, but that's not a bad core to build around.

One more thought, I know Graham and Mason together make up a pretty small backcourt, but I won't be surprised if eventually those two start together. If we're fortunate enough to have them together for three years, they are just too good for me to imagine one of them coming off the bench for that long. But of course, all that will depend on the other pieces that are added.

Walter Bridges 6 years, 11 months ago

I haven't processed 2015/16 yet...a LOT can happen in ONE year.

Ryan Gee 6 years, 11 months ago

Wow, what a boring comment section. Thanks for making it not fun. Glad we got Bragg, but I guess I will just have to stick to the articles.

Bob Bailey 6 years, 11 months ago

Way too long, but hope we got that settled. Surprised a lot of you are old guys -- hope you learned a lot.

Would prefer some attention to some of our skills == esp Perry. He has goofed up his shooting skill. Maybe a return to Free Throw shooting and muscle-memory along with near-by (not close) shooting 'In The Zone'. Would perhaps be more productive.

p

Chris Baker 6 years, 11 months ago

I've always thought it was odd that basketball recruits announcing their college choice do so by donning a baseball cap with the team logo on it. Honestly I think it'd make way more sense (and be way, way more fun) if they would wear their new teams jersey beneath their suit's and rip open their shirt Hulkamania style.

Hulkamania

Hulkamania by Chris Baker

Rodney Crain 6 years, 11 months ago

I like your idea. How about a warm up top???

Kristen Downing 6 years, 11 months ago

Rockchalktalk is another good site. Shorter comments mostly about sports and the commenters don't seem to need verbal hugs.