Kansas defeats Emporia State, 109-56

• 7 p.m., Nov. 11, 2014
  • Allen Fieldhouse, Lawrence, KS

Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Jayhawks spread ball, playing time around in exhibition win

Kansas guard Frank Mason gets to the bucket past Emporia State guards Terrence Moore (11) and Tyler Jordan during the first half on Tuesday, Nov. 11, 2014.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Jamari Traylor, Brannen Greene & Landen Lucas talk about KU's 109-56 win over Emporia State

Download podcast

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Bill Self says KU was better vs. Emporia State but still has work to do

Bill Self says KU was better vs. Emporia State but still has work to do to be ready for Friday night's season opener.

Download podcast

One thing was obvious after eight Kansas University basketball players scored in double figures — and 11 played 12 or more minutes — in the Jayhawks’ 109-56 rout of Emporia State on Tuesday night in Allen Fieldhouse.

The Jayhawks have a lot of guys capable of logging meaningful minutes and are scrapping for playing time heading into Friday’s regular-season opener against UC Santa Barbara.

“Coach is still trying different rotations, but I mean it’s early in the preseason. It’s how it should be,” KU sophomore guard Brannen Greene said after connecting for 10 points in 16 minutes.

“We haven’t started playing games. He hasn’t seen who can do what yet. When the popcorn’s poppin’ it’s a little bit different. It’s not the same as practice,” Greene added, breaking up teammates Jamari Traylor and Landen Lucas in the interview room after the game.

Greene, who said “defense” is the key to emerging as one of the perimeter players who will see significant minutes, was joined in double figures by Lucas and Perry Ellis (13), Wayne Selden Jr. and Cliff Alexander (12), Frank Mason III and Hunter Mickelson (11) and Devonté Graham (10).

“I’ve got to do better, but it wasn’t bad. I enjoyed myself out there, had fun and we got the win. That’s the most important thing,” Greene, who suffered a concussion in the exhibition opener vs. Washburn and missed a few days of practice, said after hitting two of four threes.

“We’ve got to see how it starts going in games. Once we get in games we can see who can do what, what rotations and who fits well and plays well together. I expect a battle. I love a battle. It’s what I came here for.

“It’s the season. It’s here,” Greene exclaimed.

One perimeter player who drew a starting assignment — freshman Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk — was one of the rare players who didn’t threaten double figures. He was one of five from three and had three points in 18 minutes.

“It’s good to see Perry play well the second half (13 points, six boards, three assists; nine points second half). It’s good to see Wayne (5-7 shooting) see the ball go in the hole. The only one who labored was Svi,” coach Bill Self said. “That start ... he said he wasn’t nervous. I think obviously he was nervous. It’s like a high school junior running out there. I thought everybody played pretty well.”

As far as separation in terms of guys landing spots in the rotation ...

“I do feel there’s been a little bit the last two or three days. It’s not going to be guys playing the same minutes. Wayne, Perry and Jamari are gonna get theirs. Guys playing 18 may get 10, now. I think you’ll still see us play nine or 10 guys. I don’t know all 11, but nine or 10 at least early on. We do have balance. That’s a positive for us,” Self said.

As far as Greene’s comment about some guys playing better when that “popcorn is poppin” — when the lights are on during actual games rather than workouts — Self stated: “I would say there is some time in practice he leaves a little to be desired from an intensity standpoint. He went after the ball hard today, one thing Svi didn’t do. Brannen got his nose dirty, went after the ball. It’s just an exhibition game. I will not get too excited. We did play hard, though.”

Greene was happy to be healthy enough to make a funny postgame comment, considering eight days earlier he was knocked silly after running into a Washburn player.

“I’ve never had a concussion before. It was definitely unexpected and definitely hurt,” said Greene, who still has a little bit of stiffness in the neck. “When I ran into him I felt dizzy, off balance. I didn’t know how to handle it. I had trouble concentrating, couldn’t really do my schoolwork, but two days later, I felt better. It wasn’t too hard, then.”

Game time for KU’s regular-season opener against UC-Santa Barbara is 7 p.m., Friday, in Allen.

By the numbers: Kansas vs. Emporia State, Nov. 11, 2014

By the numbers: Kansas vs. Emporia State, Nov. 11, 2014

Comments

Steve Zimmerman 4 years, 7 months ago

Dunks dunks dunks. I love this team. i know it's exhibition game, but to see Cliff back-to-back dunking like that, just wow.. i can't wait to watch more lobs & dunks!!! we can beat UK! go Jayhawk!!!!

Erich Hartmann 4 years, 7 months ago

...that was burnt popcorn...(or stolen popcorn)...

Suzi Marshall 4 years, 7 months ago

It was Emporia State but 26 assist on 39 shots is impressive. 8 players in double figures scoring (Traylor with 9), the highest being 13 is impressive. Almost as many steals (11) as TOs (14) is impressive. Losing the NBA’s 1 and 3 draft picks plus the PG and a key rotation shooter then putting a better TEAM on the court is impressive.

Graham is the real deal. After watching him for two exhibition games and recalling the several times watching Tyus Jones last season in HS, it’s scary close as to my preference. Graham’s vision of the court and game combined with his skill set will make Kansas a title (Big 12 and NC) contender.

Kansas defense looks like it will return this season, led by our perimeter guys. Defensively, I can’t tell the difference between Oubre and Mykailiuk… twins. Alexander’s block then hustle down court for the dunk had to be the highlight of the night. After three (3) halves, Ellis showed why he should be considered the team’s scoring leader and perhaps the best player in the Big 12. Selden’s second half shows everyone he is “daMan”.

Self has so many effective combinations, it makes me dizzy thinking about them.

I know it was Emporia State but….the next two games will tells us a lot about this team.

Rodney Crain 4 years, 7 months ago

It looks like we went from a weakness to a strength at PG in one year, some subtraction some addition. I really like both of these guys. Wayne's assists are a plus from the outside too.

Even though Svi was not able to hit his shot, he still played well on defense, made some sweet passes and did not show bad body language the entire game. For a 17 year old he has a great head on his shoulders. As a 6'3 or 6'5 guard staring at him guarding me I would not like my chances to score.

It is encouraging what we have inside, but we will not know what we really have till we play better talent. These next two schools will clear that up for us. Wings are coming along. Will be fun to watch our talent with our PG's running. Defense how wonderful is that to see again.

Perry has not improved at all to me. We will either get first half Perry or second half Perry or like tonight a little of both. I know everyone is in love with him but if you have no idea what he is going to give you each game or if he will box out and rebound how can you keep him in there if he is coasting? We have options now. That was Emporia State out there not Texas, how does he not contribute in the first half?

Fun game, Yay for Manning, it was fun when they cut to his parents and they were having a good time too.

Steve Zimmerman 4 years, 7 months ago

Perry still has tons to learn & improve, indeed. I don't believe he's the best player in B12. scoring in the team will be contagious, it'll be tough for Ellis to be the team's scoring leader. and let's not forget Mickelson - this guy has a high-IQ and is aware of his team whereabouts. he looks a bit soft, but his game doesn't show that at all. Haunter can alter opponents' shots easily. i want to see him defending other bigs - we need physical bodies on the defensive ends besides Cliff.

Gerry Butler 4 years, 7 months ago

some really good comments from all. I also agree I like what I'm seeing out of our point guards I really like devonte just seems to me he has really good court awareness, plays under control frank seems like he s improved more trust the ball in either of their hands . I realize these were exhibition games but it made for some nice game time conditions. will be interesting to see how we match up on the inside when we have to D up against other teams with equal size or bigger only thing that kinda worries me a little is battling on the boards multiple shots from the other team I'm sure the guys will work their butts off just don't have that 1 guy like in past years like jeff, jo jo but all in all ya I think we are gonna be pretty good. really like what I'm seeing also out of landon think he will be a soli player getting more minutes. ready for the REAL season to begin. love this time of year, the WIFE ah maybe not so much lol no she knows how I love my hawks GO HAWKS

Ian Emerson 4 years, 7 months ago

I personally would like to know what Jack thought about the game.

Mike Riches 4 years, 7 months ago

I don't know how often in basketball (at any level) a team scores over 100 points, and the high scorer only has 13. That reminds me so much of the 07-08 team, where it seemed there was a different leading scorer every game. So basically, what I'm saying is we're for sure going to win it all this year! :)

Bryce Landon 4 years, 7 months ago

I'm fired up for the real season to start on Friday night, and so is Coach Self. He appeared on The Jim Rome Show to talk KU hoops. Rome, by the way, is an alum of our next opponent, UCSB.