Thursday, May 1, 2014

Self confirms Naadir Tharpe transfer

Veteran guard cites desire to be closer to daughter as reason

Kansas point guard Naadir Tharpe pumps his fist after forcing an Iowa State timeout during a Jayhawk run in the second half on Monday, Jan. 13, 2014 at Hilton Coliseum in Ames, Iowa.

Kansas University junior point guard Naadir Tharpe will not return for his senior season, he and head coach Bill Self announced on Thursday.

“Naadir and I have talked numerous times since he’s been here about his role and about his situation back home with his daughter,” Self said. “He’s told me many times how much he misses his little girl and she’s had some health issues that has certainly made it difficult for him to be away from her for this extended period of time. She’s doing very well now, but Naadir approached me after the season was over about him wanting to be closer to her. This is his decision to try and accomplish that.”

Worcester, Mass., native’s Tharpe’s daughter, Amara, was born in January of his freshman season.

“Due to extenuating circumstances within my personal life, I will no longer be attending the University of Kansas,” Tharpe said. “My daughter has current medical issues that require weekly visits to her physician, as well as with a specialist. At this juncture, I feel it is best to be closer to home where I can assist and support in any way necessary.

“I enjoyed my time here,” Tharpe added. “I appreciate the players that were here before me that I got a chance to play with and that are still friends with me right now. It’s going to be tough leaving a situation like this because of the teammates I’m leaving behind. Everything happens for a reason and I have to continue my journey a different way.”

Of the situation, Self added: “Personally, it’s something that we 100 percent support and wish him nothing but the best. I certainly appreciate all of his efforts since he’s been here. Naadir has been a good player for us in his three years here. But we also respect the fact that he wants to be closer to his daughter and we want to do everything we can to support that.”

Self had no comment regarding any negative issues regarding Tharpe. A picture of Tharpe and a woman that included nudity appeared online after the season. Tharpe did not attend the postseason awards ceremony as he was attending the memorial service of his grandfather.

Tharpe's departure leaves KU with very little experience at point guard, with sophomores-to-be Frank Mason and Conner Frankamp having logged some time as Tharpe's backup and not much else.

The Jayhawks are in the running for 6-foot-2 point guard Devonte' Graham, who hails from the same prep school as Tharpe (Brewster Academy) and, on Wednesday, narrowed his choices to Kansas and North Carolina State.

Comments

Benz Junque 2 months, 3 weeks ago

What? This is GREAT news. Sorry, but Tharpe was the anchor around the ankles of last eyar's team. His carelessness was a cancer that spread through the team. When your leader is careless and irresposible, the other players take on that same mindset. Good riddance.

Hopefully Self is calling Devonte Graham and pointing out the number of minutes that just became available.

Jeremy Wilhelm 2 months, 3 weeks ago

I wish KU Sports had a thumbs down option.

Gerry Butler 2 months, 3 weeks ago

you don't reply to IDIOTS like that

Sam Constance 2 months, 3 weeks ago

This is a BS comment.

Tharpe was inconsistent, and at times that did us no favors. But to say that his carelessness was a "cancer" and lay the team's departure from the NCAA tournament at his feet is asinine.

Not sure if you remember, but our most important player was missing from our NCAA tournament run, and our second most important player had his worst game of the year in our elimination game. Now, if Tharpe had been better, we might have overcome those serious obstacles, but to lay blame for our season ending earlier than we would have liked is simply wrong.

Benz Junque 2 months, 3 weeks ago

What is the job of an experienced PG leader? To deal with issues like Wiggins was having. Tharpe sttod out there like an innocent bystander. Get in Wiggins' face and demand more. Make plays to get him shots. The fact that Wiggins took six shots is as much an indictment of Tharpe as it is Wiggins. It is the PGs job to run the offense, not just watch the train wreck happen like you are unable to affect the outcome.

Jeff Kilgore 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Say what you will, I liked Tharpe, and I am sad that he is leaving. I also agree that you're putting too much blame on Tharpe, like many KU fans. Yes, we've had better guard play, but you can't look at the Stanford game and see many player statistics that looked very good. I thought that Tharpe might really have a good senior year. I wish him the best.

Sam Constance 2 months, 3 weeks ago

That's insanity. You can't actually believe that Wiggins' poor game is an indictment of Tharpe.

Good lord.

Benz Junque 2 months, 3 weeks ago

What is the job of an experienced PG? If it is not to get your team and teammates into position to score then what is it? Don't just rag on my opinion without offering your own. Enlighten us all as to what I am wrong about.

Sam Constance 2 months, 3 weeks ago

You are conflating the notion that a PG runs a team's offense with the idea that a PG is responsible for making sure everyone has a good game at all times.

You also seem to be confusing the job of a COACH with that of a PG. If Wiggins is having a terrible game, it's more Self's job to get him going or wake him up than it is Tharpe's.

The blanket blaming of Tharpe is unfounded. I also already mentioned what you were wrong about--that Tharpe wasn't the "cancerous" cause of our late season collapse. That there is a difference between being a cause of something and being unable to be the remedy for that something.

PS - I would love to know what it was you said to me that warranted removal from the site. Too bad i twas removed before I got to see it in all its glory.

John Fitzgerald 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Come on man ... Your ignorance is embarrassing all the other KU fans.

Jonny Swift 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Daaaaaaaaammmmmmnnnnnniiiiiittttt. For all of Tharpe's ups and downs, I know he's a true Jayhawk at a heart, and is an important part and leader of this team. Very dissapointing....even though he might not be the answer at starting PG playing 30-35 minutes a game, I think Tharpe would be a solid, steadying leader next year and could provide 15-20 energetic, scoring filled minutes off the bench. Really hope this rumor isn't true, but Self seems to confirm that it's going to happen. I hope Self isn't pushing him out, regardless of the stupid photo or not. I could care less about that kinda stuff.

Jeff Kilgore 2 months, 3 weeks ago

We are going to miss him. Thanks for supporting a pretty good guy, that is, the things I've heard about him. Let's wish Tharpe and his daughter the best.

Walter Bridges 2 months, 3 weeks ago

I hope the best for him but miss him? Nope.

Mike Barnhart 2 months, 3 weeks ago

We didn't have a really good point guard and still don't! Unless he was planning to get a lot better his senior year, this isn't a huge loss.

Rodney Crain 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Interesting this breaks before Grahams announcement and the day after Turners. If Graham wants playing time, his chances for more minutes just got a lot better. I was not a Tharpe fan, but I do wish him well if this is true.

John Fitzgerald 2 months, 3 weeks ago

I honestly thought you'd say something completely different Rodney. But I like the classy take on this. You were not a fan of Tharpe in any way, yet you still wish him well.

Eric Groves 2 months, 3 weeks ago

I agree that numbers may not tell the full story, but Naadir Tharpe was still a Big 12 Honorable Mention PG. That's quite a feat in a conference that contained Jawan Staten, Marcus Smart, Deandre Kane, and even Monte Morris's run at the end.

Tharpe's defense may not have been the best, but it was better than Frankamps - Tharpe also had more of a build over Frankamp for defending. Mason also is guilty of making the same mistakes Tharpe did on the court. But, we only have a very small sample size for Frankamp and Mason. For Graham, he's only played High School Competition.

Tharpe did a very good job with this team given its circumstances (loss of Embiid, etc.). I'm not ready to jump on any bandwagon until I see that someone else performs better than Tharpe overall did in the 31 games he started this year.

Benz Junque 2 months, 3 weeks ago

I don't care. We are better without him than with him, even if we lose more games as a result. Careless both on and off the court and a poor representative of Kansas basketball. I will not miss him one bit. I'd rather see Frankamp and Mason take their lumps now. They'll be better in the long run for it than if they spent another year learning carelessness from Tharpe's example.

And we have a better shot at Graham with Tharpe gone.

Benz Junque 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Apparently this website only allows polite conversations and pleasant comments.Thank you so much for your wonderful contributions to Kansas basketball, Mr. Tharpe. We will all hold the memory of that pass of your face as the lasting image of your career at KU.

Feel free to remove this comment as well you frickin' communists. This site sucks.

Rodney Crain 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Benz have you contacted support at LJW? See why or what you are doing that is getting your comments removed? The ones I have seen are not all negative or angry and respectful for the most part. Just a suggestion.

Benz Junque 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Apparently no one wants anything negative posted about any current or former Jayhawks EVER. My fan card is going to be pulled because I am OK with a player leaving the program who has a history of suspensions, benchings, poor play, poor decision making and poor behavior. Apparently I am the only person who would like to cheer for players who represent the program in a positive manner.

I would understand even slightly if Tharpe had success. People overlooked Collins transgressions because he produced. But Tharpe was the leader of a team with the worst defense (in which he was the worst defender on that terrible defense) and one of the worst records in the Bill Self era who failed miserably against a terrible team in the NCAA tourney. If you have to deal with a knucklehead, he should at least be WORTH IT.

But hey, all people want to read is shiny, positive stuff as if anything other than that makes us a bad fan base. News flash, folks, fans that support poor behavior are the bad fan bases. Fans that expect more of their players than just results are the fan base I prefer to be associated with. Mizzou is OK with jerks that produce. Is the goal really to be like Mizzou's fans?

Rodney Crain 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Have you contacted support? Eric and Ol are being removed too, and their posts are mostly benign. I would at least contact them and find out if they are filtering your responses or it is something else. I see negative things posted, you know I have gone round and round with some posters. Maybe they put you on probation? Find out. You make points that are mostly honest and no worse than others. Maybe someone hit a button and its an easy fix. At least ask them via email.

Walter Bridges 2 months, 3 weeks ago

I don't get it either. I've seen your posts then see that they have been removed for what seems like no reason.

Tony Bandle 2 months, 3 weeks ago

.."SEX IN THE FIELDHOUSE!!!!" ....how in the heck did I miss that story!!

Joseph Leon 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Why wouldn't being near his sick daughter be a perfectly good reason?

Eric Groves 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Is a great reason. People were contemplating before that bit leaked that he was being "forced out" based on his past actions. I was saying that I don't think you could force out Naadir because he hadn't done anything warranting it.

Being close to his sick daughter is a great choice by Naadir. Wish him nothing but success in the future.

Walter Bridges 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Sounds as if she is better now..Self, "She’s doing very well now".

It would be hard for anyone not to be w/his daughter so early in her life, surprised he waited until his final year to make this decision. Personally, I think there is something else going on here but that is pure conjecture.

I wish him good luck but I'm not going to pretend to be sad. The PG position was easily our weakest spot last year and I think Frankamp is ready to take over.

Suzi Marshall 2 months, 3 weeks ago

We all knew that was coming. After reading his grandfather's obit, I feel bad. Tharpe comes from foos people. His grandfather must have been a heck of a guy.

Suzi Marshall 2 months, 3 weeks ago

good....it was a typo off my cell phone.

Walter Bridges 2 months, 3 weeks ago

LMAO...I Googled foos trying to find what you meant.

Brett McCabe 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Naadir is from Worcester so maybe UMASS could bring him on? He would be a solid addition for depth at almost any program.

I won't pretend to know what's going on behind the scenes or in his life, but I know that most fans hope that a change of scenery will positively impact him. RCJHK Naa!

Sean O'Grady 2 months, 3 weeks ago

The only D-1 school around Worcester is Holy Cross. There are a lot of other D2/D3 schools, WPI, Assumption, WSU (Also known as the Woo), Clark, Becker and Nichols.

Worcester is about an hour from Boston, so N'Eastern, BC and BU out east and then UMass is about 90 minutes west down the 'Pike. Also can't rule out PC about 45 minutes south in Providence.

I don't have kids, but it must says a lot about how much you love your children if you're willing to leave a place as beautiful as Lawrence, KS for a Worcester, MA. The place, for lack of a better term, is an f'ing dump.

Ryan Zimmerman 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Frankamp showed more poise, sharper passing and can shoot better than Tharpe. The inconsistencies he brought hurt more than the good games he had. While it's never good to lose a starter on your team, I believe we have the personnel to fill in his spot

Jack Wilson 2 months, 3 weeks ago

From a harsh basketball perspective, this is incredibly good news. This is a simple recognition of Tharpe's poor play and that our other options are better. Sometimes guys don't develop. It happens. Tharpe's defense was a killer. This move eliminates a possible locker room distraction -- senior sitting and potentially pouting. It also signals that Graham may be on the way in. Again, this is terrific news on the basketball front. We will be better without Tharpe.

From a personal perspective, it is horribly sad news. The last thing we want is a guy who has been her three seasons, a Jayhawk surely to the bone, leaving. Seems like a very nice young man. I'm sad for him. But with each closing door another one will surely open. Hope he finds the right fit.

Sam Constance 2 months, 3 weeks ago

So, our "other options"--two sophomores who have their own warts that will likely show in their first go-rounds as starting PGs (much like Tharpe showed some warts in his first year as a starter) and a potential true freshman who has never played a game of D-I in his live--are better?

I'm sorry, but I just don't see it.

It baffles me how people can be so convinced that Tharpe was done growing/maturing as a player, but be certain that our younger, less experienced options are sure to have grown up enough to be a better replacement. It makes no sense.

Jack Wilson 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Sam - His poor defense compromised everything. He'd had three years to improve it. In two consecutive seasons, Self had issues with him in November. He lacked grit and tenacity. He had major meltdowns late in the season and was benched for long stretches as a junior. I personally don't see those changing much. That's just my take. Others may not agree.

But no one knows for sure. What I will say is that I think Mason and CF are both better all around basketball players.

Sam Constance 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Fair enough. His defense was pretty poor, and while his size was a detriment to it, I agree that his biggest problem on defense was a lack of focus.

That said, I still think that if he doesn't take a pretty big step back offensively in the last dozen games of the season, his sketchy defense was something we could live with. Our offense was so much more fluid when he was playing well--shooting and passing. But when his shooting disappeared near the end of the season, he forgot how to be an effective creator with the ball.

I think the jury is still out on whether Mason and Frankamp are better all-around players than Tharpe, but in fairness, they are younger and theoretically have more room to improve--more of a empty cup to fill. Mason needs to improve his ability to create and involve teammates, and Frankamp needs to improve his defense and his willingness to make difficult passes. Unfortunately, his defense is more about physical shortcomings than mental, which means his ceiling on defensive improvement is only so high.

Benz Junque 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Just to sum up, you are saying that he took a "pretty big step back offensively in the last dozen games of the season" (AKA the most important time of the year) and was sketchy on defense. He started the year on NCAA suspension for stupidly playing in a summer game in Chicago after players were told what type of summer activities they could and could not participate in. He was benched in the heart on our non-con season for poor attitude, leaving a freshman to start @Colorado and @Florida.

And yet "It baffles me how people can be so convinced that Tharpe was done growing/maturing as a player"? REALLY?

Sam Constance 2 months, 3 weeks ago

1) He slumped late in the season, based on what I saw as a loss of confidence. He stopped hitting shots he had been hitting all season. That happens to players--especially young ones--all the time. It happened to Tyshawn Taylor his SENIOR year.

2) I'm not going to stick up for Tharpe's defense, and even agreed that his shortcomings in that area are reasonable to believe as done growing.

3) Harping on a silly mistake like playing in a summer league game is foolish. It reveals your opinion for what it really is: Tharpe hating. It's not like the NCAA rules are super clear, and they involve a number of situational restrictions that I can imagine might be hard to forget. It was a mistake, but a pretty innocent one. I can only imagine you were bringing out the pitchforks in regards to McLemore's or Selby's eligibility issues due to mistakes they had made?

4) Not sure what you're talking about with him being benched for poor attitude. He was benched because of poor performance, and in both of the games you reference, he played to his season average in minutes. In one of the games, he played MORE than Frank Mason. That doesn't really jive with the way Self has dealt with players that showed attitude problems in the past. Say what you will about Tharpe--he was careless and absentminded at times, but I don't think having a poor attitude was ever his issue. It's just something you want to hang on him because you've lost your ability to see anything he does objectively.

Grow up.

Benz Junque 2 months, 3 weeks ago

"Tharpe hating"? It's called pointing out a consistent pattern of careless, irresponsible actions. I don't hate Tharpe, I hate his consistent pattern of careless, irresponsible actions.

News flash, being careless and absentminded IS an attitude problem.

Walter Bridges 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Last year was actually Tharpe's first as the starting PG. He barely got off the bench his freshman year and managed 21 assists to 22 turnovers. Conner was 15 and 3 and Mason was 77 and 32.

Tharpe wasn't capable of playing the PG his 2nd year, forcing Self to move EJ to point and Tharpe played the 2. As a Jr.,. Tharpe's numbers (except shooting pct) were not horrible last year but he disappeared at key moments and his loss of focus hurt the most.

I think Mason and Frankamp can do better than would Tharpe. Guess time will tell.

Sam Constance 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Tharpe didn't start a SINGLE game in 2012-2013, so I have no idea how you could argue that he was really the starting PG and Self was forced to move Johnson to the point.

When he did play, he played PG, so I also have no idea how you could argue that he wasn't capable of playing PG in his second year. He averaged 3.1 assists per game in 19 minutes. With a 2:1 A/TO ratio. Seem like pretty solid backup PG numbers to me.

It's pretty obvious to me that Self had planned on using Tharpe to back up Johnson all along.

I'm not sure your comparison of Tharpe's freshman year to Mason's/Frankamp's is fair. Tharpe played on a team with 4 more-than-capable guards. Three upperclassmen (Taylor, Johnson, Releford) and a stud "freshman" (McLemore) who was really a sophomore due to eligibility issues. Self had the freedom to keep him on a short leash for his mistakes. He didn't have that luxury this year, with Tharpe being the only upperclassman guard, and White III being the only non-Freshman guard. Even with the lack of experience, Frankamp STILL didn't get much more time (8.1 mpg) than Tharpe did as a freshman (5.5 mpg) and when he did play it was largely as the shooting guard.

I honestly do hope that Mason takes a step forward. I think he'll certainly be better than Tharpe was defensively, but before Tharpe's late-season loss of confidence and meltdown, Tharpe was MUCH better at running the offense, occasional mistake aside.

Walter Bridges 2 months, 3 weeks ago

You completely missed the point..I said this past season was his FIRST as the starting PG. In 2012-13 as a 2nd year player he was not capable of being the starting PG so Self moved EJ to the point.

Frankamp got most of those minutes late in the season while Mason averaged over 16 mpg but his minutes dropped late in the season so I do think the comparison is fair.

Sam Constance 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Wait, you explained to me that last year was his first year as starting point guard in response to my point that this past year was his first as starting point guard, and you believe that I missed the point?

Okay...

EJ was not "moved" to the point. We'd have to climb inside of Self's head to confirm this, but I doubt that Naadir was EVER the primary plan for point guard in his second year. EJ was recruited as a PG. The fact that many KU fans wanted to explain away his struggles as a position switch, the truth was that he didn't really switch positions.

And you're wrong on Frankamp--if you remove the final two games of the year, in which he played 25 and 18 minutes, his per game average was pretty steady over the course of the year. There was no rising trend near the end of the season--until those final two games skewed the overall average.

Walter Bridges 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Wish we had the scholarship earlier when it might have done some good...

John Fitzgerald 2 months, 3 weeks ago

This is sad to see because I've always liked and believed in Tharpe. It will be interesting to see what transpires from here on out. We now have a better chance at Graham though, and if Calapari goes to the Lakers maybe we can steal a UK recruit. Either way I'll miss Tharpe and hope where ever he goes he's successful. Once a Jayhawk, always a Jayhawk Naa!

Brandon Mahon 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Rumors are that he is leaving to be closer to his daughter who is having health issues. Could be a cover up but a Damn good reason.

Eliott Reeder 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Count me in with those who are sad to see him go. I could care less about his off-the-court stuff and he was an underrated offensive player who could have improved defensively... good luck wherever life takes you Naa!!!

Eric Groves 2 months, 3 weeks ago

If there's no "off the court stuff"

Then don't be a fan of Brannen Greene - Hit and Run

don't be a fan of Mario Little - Bar Fight Arrest

don't be a fan of Thomas Robinson - Battery charge during Fight at "The Cave"

don't be a fan of Brady Morningstar - 2 DUIs

don't be a fan of Brandon Rush - Failure to appear to court arrest

don't be a fan of JR Giddens - Bar fight

The point I'm getting at is these are college kids. They're young, they're in the spotlight, they're immature, and they're going to make dumb mistakes. What make you believe in them is how they make the most of these situations and learn from them. This is just the stuff that got leaked to the media, I'm sure there's plenty of other dumb stuff going on that never makes it out.

Tharpe was a Jayhawk, and will be missed by myself and by many others.

Once a jayhawk, always a jayhawk. Rock Chalk

Benz Junque 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Sorry, but I managed to survive my college years without getting arrested or without having pictures of myself with a married woman's exposed breasts smashed up against me. I managed to get through my college years without getting anyone pregnant.

And the vast majority of guys you listed I was not fans of for the exact reason you listed, except for Rush. that's a pretty huge strecth to list a failure to appear over a traffic ticket. Nice try, though.

Benz Junque 2 months, 3 weeks ago

I have been in thousands of bars with friends and have NEVER had a friends punched or been involved in a fight.

Was I a fan of Robinsons's play? Yes. Of his story and overcoming his personal family tragendies? Yes. Was I a fan of his chest thumping, mouth wagging east coast bada$$ mentality that at times crossed the line? No. And for the record, I had no idea that he had been arrested for battery. That would have made we like him less.

I don't follow Rush in the NBA, so what he does now makes no difference to me. I am not cheering for him or a team he plays for any more.

Whether you like my reasons or not is irrelevant. If I chose to feel less attached to people that I feel are idiots that is my choice. Some fans believe you have to blindly love all manner of scum just because they put on the jersey of the team you love and had some success. That does not work for me. to each their own.

Jeremy Wilhelm 2 months, 3 weeks ago

yeah, but how were your ball-handling skills? How about your jump shot?

Luca Rossi 2 months, 3 weeks ago

This post would have been so much better if you didn't add the second sentence, haha.

Jeff Kilgore 2 months, 3 weeks ago

I was arrested as a 19 year-old and graduated in four years down in Emporia. If I had had one-fifth of the temptations that Tharpe and others have had, well, I think you get the drift.

Jeff Kilgore 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Did you forget Sherron on purpose?

Eric Groves 2 months, 3 weeks ago

No, I did not, I was just naming a few that I could think of. There's many more to that list.

Walter Bridges 2 months, 3 weeks ago

I'm not sure about underrated...he had 3 years to prove otherwise and didn't.

Beau Woolsey 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Tharpe was a great guy on the bench who would always cheer on the team he will be missed.

Robert Brock 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Self has had a difficult time recruiting point guards lately. Let's see if he can right the ship by recruiting Jalen Brunson out of the Class of 2015 against the likes of Michigan, Michigan State, Illinois et al.

I will be watching Brunson play for the MacIrvin Fire at the Nike EYBL in Dallas May 10 & 11. My guess is that Brunson is the best true PG in the class and I hope that the Hawks can land another good one from the Fire like we did recently with Cliff Alexander.

Self has done well recruiting the 3, 4, and 5 spots. It's time to reel in a big-time PG.

I don't know anything about Devonte Graham. His coach says he is just like one of his earlier players - Naadir Tharpe. Whatever...

Walter Bridges 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Seems ever since the Selby disaster, pgs go elsewhere..

Lance Cheney 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Well I bet everyone that was taking jabs and bashing him for leaving are feeling pretty stupid right about now.

Benz Junque 2 months, 3 weeks ago

No one is bashing him FOR leaving.

Tony Bandle 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Well, crap.....I too wish him only the best. Shame on all of you who are cheering this development...it hurts to see one of our own fall...at least it should, anyway!!

Naadir paid his dues as a freshmen, almost saved us a sophomore [had he been on the court against Michigan we would have won that friggin' game], went through growing pains as a starter as a junior and I had fully expected a much improved NT who had learned his strengths and weaknesses and would at least be a force off the bench.

I am afraid as a high profile Jayhawk player for our elite program, how you conduct yourself off the court is almost as important as what you do on the court.

I am a man of my convictions and, right now, I say we have a starting point guard...and his name is Conner Frankamp!!

Naadir, take care and only the best, despite everything, you will always be a Jayhawk!!

Tony Bandle 2 months, 3 weeks ago

PS Damn...I think we just became one of the youngest teams in America again!!

Joe Joseph 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Next year's team just got a lot younger, yet surprisingly more mature!

Ian Emerson 2 months, 3 weeks ago

What can ya say it's best for the team. I was a big supporter of Tharpe before and during the season but if you can't stand the pressure you can't play point at ks. He may have developed a better understand of defense his senior year but his physical limitations almost assured that he would be an absolute liability on the defensive end. When that happens and you can't produce on offense, you can't be a starting guard on Kansas.

Without an elite shot blocker like Jojo or Jeff this quickly becomes too big of a liability for Self to allow. Frank and devonte will fill in quite nicely when guarding fast poi guards and frank will be a much needed consistent pg that we lacked last season when calm was needed.

I however was terribly bothered by the posting of that picture that caused such a stir considering the woman lost her job and her kids stopped going to school for a time, a terribly stain on a struggling players career. If he was successful it would have been different story. Bring on Devonte and lets develope this lengthy guard over a few years and get another tyshawn like pg that can lead us to another championship!

Jesse Johnson 2 months, 3 weeks ago

I'm with Jack Wilson. I was secretly hoping this would happen after his horrible slump to end the season. I feel like he had his chance to develop into a solid PG for KU but with three full years with significant playing time he was just simply not good enough. I do wish him the best and I definitely wish him success wherever he goes but I am excited for a fresh start with someone else.

Steve Williams 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Not a huge loss, made poor decisions on and off the court-

Love the way next year team is filling out

1. Mason/ Oubre/ Wright? (i like Oubre to start
  2. Frankamp/ Oubre/ Selden
  3. Selden, Greene, AW3
  4. Perry, traylor
  5. Cliff, Mickleson, Lucas

Selden can play the 2 or 3, his skill set would be better as a swingman, Frankamp, Mason, and Oubre, could all play the 1.

Ashtin Meerpohl 2 months, 3 weeks ago

1. Frankamp, Mason, Graham
  2. Selden, White
  3. Oubre, Greene
  4. Perry, Traylor
  5. Alexander, Mickleson/ Lucas

Glen Miller 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Wow.... News flash buddy, Oubre is a 3. The kid is a 6'-7" slasher and rim rattler, he is not a point guard.

1 - CF, Mason 2 - Selden, Greene 3 - Oubre, White 4 - Ellis, Alexander, Traylor 5 - Mickelson, Lucas

Eliott Reeder 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Julian Wright!?! At point guard? He wishes... LOL.

Dirk Medema 2 months, 3 weeks ago

He did leave after his soph yr. Can we get a couple back?

Walter Bridges 2 months, 3 weeks ago

I don't want to be rude but it looks to me that you have no idea on what positions our players play.

Oubre at the 1? Frankamp NOT at the 1? Selden at the 3?

And who the heck is Wright?

DB Ashton 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Without regard to Mr Tharpe's personal issues, nor the comparative potential of his likely successors, there was no question Tharpe possessed insufficient talent to lead the team where it wished to go. So both he and the team are far better served moving on. No blame attached to either party. (And no surprise, here...) Thanks. Best wishes...

Bryce Landon 2 months, 3 weeks ago

I don't know that the issue was lack of talent so much as it was lack of good judgment. This is addition by subtraction, and KU will be better off without him.

Beau Woolsey 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Oubre won't play pg and he will start.

Skip Tidwell 2 months, 3 weeks ago

The health issues his daughter was going through and is still having may well explain his up and down play at the end of the season. No matter what mistakes he may have made I wish him well in the future and hope that his daughter regains her health.

Benz Junque 2 months, 3 weeks ago

His track record of poor judgement and numerous appearances in Self's doghouse probably had more to do with it. Let's not pretend that the photo incident was the first problem that Tharpe has had. He also had a suspension and a benching on his resume just last year. The only thing consistent about Tharpe was poor decisions.

Robin Smith 2 months, 3 weeks ago

I'm embarrassed by the bashing levied at Tharpe by fans.

Waylon Cook 2 months, 3 weeks ago

only question did he know his daughter was sick before or after the twitter porn?

Sam Constance 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Anyone who thinks this is a net positive for KU is letting their frustration about Tharpe's inconsistency over the second half of last year blind them to reality.

Tharpe had issues, and anyone who denies it is lying to themselves. However, he also was a steady hand most of the time. Steadier than Frank Mason at any rate. And we can't really compare him to Frankamp, given that there is such a wide gap in the sample sizes. Frankamp ran the point for all of a half of basketball.

Yes, his inconsistency was maddening at times, but apparently hating on our lead PG is the thing to do at Kansas over the last 8 years. Mark my words, Frank Mason will draw the ire of many of the same people who've spent their time lambasting Collins, Taylor, Johnson and Tharpe this season. It will happen.

We won't miss him terribly much on defense, but we will absolutely miss him on the offensive end. A lot of you are willing to overlook the value that a senior PG brings to a team with a lot of younger players. You don't post a 2.5/1 A/TO ratio against a schedule like KU played this past season without having some ability to steady the ship. Granted, his confidence waned over the second half of the season and his steadiness decreased. But he was also thrust into a higher pressure position with Embiid being out. Embiid helped cover defensive deficiencies and kept pressure off of other players offensively, due to the need for other teams to double him in the post.

I originally thought the photo might've been the thing pushing him out. It's a bittersweet feeling to see that I'm wrong--I'm glad he isn't being pushed out for a mistake that many of us older Jayhawks have ZERO perspective on, given that social media is a relatively new phenomenon. But it's also saddening to hear that his daughter has health issues. I wish the best for them both, and genuinely hope that he finds a spot at another school next year, where he will shine with a new opportunity, less venom from the fans that supposedly love their team, and less weight on his mind from the issues with his daughter.

FOE is right. Too many people seem to have forgotten that.

Shane Johnston 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Frank has some inconsistencies but he was a freshman- the expectations are different.

Also, there were plenty of times where Frank made plays in big moments. He was great against Duke. He stripped the ball on the last possession of the home game against OSU. He was great in the second half against Stanford, especially defensively. I love his intangibles and think he often rose to the occasion late in games when given the opportunity. I'm confident our guards will continue to develop.

Luca Rossi 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Good luck Naadir, very sad to hear you are leaving. Wish you and your family the best.

2 months, 3 weeks ago

Good luck Naa, FOE means exactly what you are doing!!

John Giffin 2 months, 3 weeks ago

With as much talent as Ku has had on the wings and down low I'm just not a fan of these shoot first point guards. Ku needs a guy that can lead, distribute, play defense and hit open jumpers when needed. Tharpe looked to create his own offense too much when he should have been trying to get others good shots. I would like to see more Jacque Vaughn, Aaron Miles type point guards. With that being said, I'm sad to see him go. Will be a loss of leadership and experience.

Shane Johnston 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Agree. Those are model point guards. Teams that move the ball around are much more fun to watch.

Dirk Medema 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Jacque Vaughn, Aaron Miles type point guards are Roy Williams PG's. Coach Self definitely leans more toward the combo guards. Maybe you should consider transferring schools.

Erich Hartmann 2 months, 3 weeks ago

No, Giffin. Where you been the last 10yrs? Why do you mention 2 ROY recruits? Did you miss the 2008 KU Championship led by 3 combo guards: Robinson, Sherron, Chalmers??? How about the '12 RunnerUp run led by Tyshawn+Elijah??

For the hundred-millionth time: Bill Self wants complete guards who are athletic, can score, can defend, make proper decisions, and did I say defend? Notice how he consistently recruits guys that can score, and possess that intangible athleticism, but then tries to teach them the rest. Self himself was a 6'2, tough as nails, scoring+distributing type of combo guard, and was smart with the ball. Thus he wants all of this in his recruits. See how Naadir is the one aberration.

Roy ball is an outmoded concept, even old Roy has gone to scoring-type PGs lately (see Marcus Paige of UNC)...problem is they still cant play D. Roy got tired of getting 3 Tournament runs ended by Self since 2008.

PROOF OF CONCEPT is right here x 10yrs at KU under Bill Self...yet some people choose to ignore it?! Let this last season with poor guard play be even more proof of Self's own phrase of "having multiple competent ball-handling guards on the floor at all times" (by not having it, we sufferred). And partially include EJ's final season, as 1 lone combo guard is not as good as 2, like the year before when EJ + Tyshawn go all the way to the Champ game.

Richard Gullotto 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Sad to see him go. Tharpe had his faults, but he (aside from some stupid teenager moves) was an inspiration to our team. We got to watch him grow and mature. Make mistakes and make up for them. Someone's getting a hellova PG and sounds like someone daddy will be closer for her. Never ever fault a man for choosing family over anything. We have preached FOE for years. This is nothing more than FOE. Good luck son!

Austin Lopez 2 months, 3 weeks ago

This is a big lost! I understand Naadir might have frustrated us at times but don't forget at one point he was playing GREAT basketball for Kansas... He might have shined away at the end of the season but I was looking for him to put it all together this year... Not everyone puts it together right away so put it all together there senior year... I was looking for him take his game to the next level It's not how you START BUT HOW YOI FINISH.. Unfortunately we won't have a chance to see how he finish because of transfer but everyone is big on this Devonte Graham kid talking about all the minutes he will log next year but when was the last time a freshman came in and started or played a full season at Kansas and dominated? Josh shelby came off the bench at one point in time in his one season at Kansas and he was way more talented so losing Naadir is Bad, Can Frank Mason take the next step? That we don't know I would have liked to see Frank Masom develop a little more behind Naadir... Conner Frankamp might have a chance to do something special but can he develop more on the defensive end? But I was hoping naadir would finish strong next year

Joseph Bullock 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Anyone who blames our loss in the NCAA Tournament, on Tharpe, doesn't know a thing about basketball. The only person who played good (actually excellent), was Tarik Black. Conner made a couple big shots at the end, but I was at the game, and he didn't play well on the defensive end, earlier in the game, which is why he didn't play more. But nobody really played great defense for us, that game. It really did hurt that Embiid could not play, because he would have negated their size. But I really believe our problem this whole season, is that we got off track, and played outside in, instead of our bread and butter, which is playing, inside out. That started with Andrew (who is a great young man), initiating our offense, waaaaaaaayyyyy, too much. However, Tharpe was not as consistent, as he should have been. I bet we will go back to inside out, next season. I hope Lucas improves a ton, but he needs to work hard, starting right now, and he needs a lot more playing time. I also hope we get Graham, and by the way, just because he hasn't played in College ball yet, does not mean he won't be a great player, even his freshman year. I hope Conner and Brennan, get stronger, and have more confidence. We will be a lot better, and go a lot further, next season. Good luck Naadir. I hope you are still a Jayhawk for Life! Rock Chalk!

Bryce Landon 2 months, 3 weeks ago

I don't blame Tharpe for the Stanford game, although he was as much part of the problem as anyone that day. The majority of the blame lies on Andrew Wiggins for disappearing when we needed him most, as well as on Self for not getting through to his players on the importance of defense.

Jack Wilson 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Bryce - Really, I can't skim by this and not comment. Blaming Wiggins completely ignores the fact that Dawkins took him away and we had no response, by scheme or strategy, to get the guy open looks.

Though being humble at the end, here's Wiggins' post game quote: “Wherever I went I saw three people. They were keying in on me,” said Wiggins, who, like the rest of his teammates, struggled against Stanford’s 1-3-1 and 2-3 zones. He was guarded by 6-7 Josh Huestis the times the Cardinal played man. "Whenever I went right, I saw three Stanford guys. Whenever I went left I saw three Stanford guys. That’s no excuse. You are supposed to find different ways to score and different ways to get your teammates involved. I failed to do that tonight.”

I just can't lay really any blame at Wiggins' feet for the Stanford debacle.

That's on coach Self. Dawkins had the superior plan. We had no response. Pretty simple.

Suzi Marshall 2 months, 3 weeks ago

HEM, we had a decent game plan. Review of the tape clearly shows our 4s (especially Traylor) and Tharpe had a really bad day. Ellis, Traylor and Wiggins combined for 4-16 finishing at the rim. Everyone had a bad game except Black and possibly Frankamp.

Jack Wilson 2 months, 3 weeks ago

I watched the game four times. Dawkins took away Wiggins. We did nothing to get Wiggins open shots. We didn't screen for him. Didn't move him around. Reading Wiggins' quote, who's job is it to find ways to get Wiggins open? Stanford collapsed on the ball and most interior shots were contested. Self judges his defense in large part on defensive field goal percentage, which is from contesting shots. Self said after the game that most of our shots were contested. That's scheme. Greg Anthony made the excellent point on the broadcast of sliding Wiggins to the high post -- Self left him on the wing. Stanford didn't have a point guard -- meaning they didn't have a top ball handler. Yet Self didn't start pressing until the 10 minute mark. Further, Self started Tharpe, and played Tharpe. Not much question on what you would get there given the recent history.

Against Stanford, it was Dawkins over Self in a KO.

Suzi Marshall 2 months, 3 weeks ago

The guys need to play. If we converted the mildly contested bunnies, we win easily. I counted every one of that 4-14 as did Jessie Newell. For Self to do what Anthony suggested would mean moving Wiggins to the 4. That wasn't going to happen. Ellis/Traylor needed to convert. Tharpe, mostly, and Frankamp passed on making the passes into the post. Mason did a good job making the passes...but we missed the bunnies.

Benz Junque 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Jack, the point being that there are FOUR OTHER PLAYERS on the floor. If they are going to commit 2-3 guys to stop Wiggins then that leaves at least one or two guys completely unguarded. You can look at virtually every game last year and find one where one of our good players was held to single digits. If the rest of the guys do their job they cruise to a comfortable win.

Erich Hartmann 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Bullock, disagree. Wiggins was trying to be more aggressive, BECAUSE HIS COACH WANTED HIM TO BE. ALL SEASON. So where do you come up with your "conclusion"? Self's gameplan was to feed the post (we couldnt finish our paint shots), and also the dribble-drive with Wiggins. That's his strength. That's what he's good at...better than just a 3shooter. Problem was Wiggins had 5 or 6 empty penetrations where he either got stripped, or had a charge call against him, even taking 2pts off the scoreboard. We lost by 3.

Jack Wilson and Suzi make some very good additional points about gameplan. Your conclusion is wrong about the all-season thing. Self was harping on Wiggins to be more of the focus, to do more...all season...where were you? Why cant you remember those public, recurring quotes from Self? He said the same to Selden. He wanted Naadir to be more aggressive. Its just that Wiggins was the most capable...Self was focusing on Wiggin's strongest attribute. And let's not forget Wiggins was THE best defender on the team, with Selden right behind him in that ability. Maybe that's the lesson, is that our returnees (Ellis, Tharpe) were very poor defenders? This team scored 83+ points TWICE, and still lost, because they "couldnt stop the other guy"(another Self phrase).

Benz Junque 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Funny that the person who knows so much about basketball can't see that the reason Wiggins had to initiate the offense is BECAUSE the PG "leader" (Tharpe) whose job it was to initiate the offense failed to do it so often. And you talk about poor defense but fail to mention that Tharpe was by far the worst defender on the team.

Shane Johnston 2 months, 3 weeks ago

I thought there was a chance that Connor, Frank or Naadir would transfer when Self made it clear he was looking to add another point guard. I just couldn't see any of them red-shirting. I was always more worried about Connor than Naadir.

I'm excited that Connor and Frank will get more minutes, but agree with some of the other posters- Tharpe transferring is a loss in the short term. All the best to Naadir. Would not be surprised if he becomes an impact point guard after sitting out a year and taking care of the personal issues.

Gerry Butler 2 months, 3 weeks ago

unbelievable, trolls, fair weather fans, bandwagon fans. some of the people here just read what they wanna see, the hell with the entire story about this is more then a kid that played ball for KU, whether you like he bad unbelievably bad, average, good whatever he happens to be a person, a father, with a daughter who is sick oh ya ooops forgot about that right? he is more then a piece of meat. I might be the only right thing to do wish the best for him and his daughter, but NO we wanna throw parting shots, say how terribly bad he was as a player how he WAS THE ONE who cost us the season, the NCAA championship right? ya ok you keep right on believing that one moron. some of the people on here make me sick, you are so closed minded hell really he is the one huh? he was the one who forced the other players to take ridicilious shots , trying to finger roll instead of taking it to the hole with authority, he is the one who let all the players of the othe team continue to make un impeded drives for layups while he told the other 4 players of ours to drop their shorts an pick up there jocks a once again they got beat off the dribble drive and what AWSOME help defense that he told the others not to help on yep definitely HE is the ONE player that cost us the season , the championship ya that's it. I just got to say congradulations you succeeded in drivin him off you kept whining and crying he finally got tired of listening and reading all your B.S. yep his daughter is sick and he probably can't get to her fast enough to be with her and to get away from a bunch of sniffling lil b - - - - - GREAT JOB a great day to be a Jayhawk fans to be proud of

Benz Junque 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Nice rant. This is a conversation about Tharpe, not a letter being written TO Tharpe. We aren't talking to him and he isn't reading this. If I met him on the street I would shake his hand, wish him and his daughter good luck and thank him for choosing to come to Kansas.

Get off your high horse.

Kevin Jenkins 2 months, 3 weeks ago

It is sad to hear about his daughter's health issues. But now we know why he wasn't focusing on playing. So many people are saying he played good last year. Maybe 2 games stand out, but the rest just felt like he was only going thru the motions. I honestly like the kid, but this really doesn't feel like a great loss to me. KU basketball needs someone who gives us that killer instinct and leadership.The desire to take us for the long haul. We will be better off now. We do have the people to replace him and it would be great to get the transfer PG. But again Tharpe wasn't playing to his potential last year and a daughter's health can be a big distraction. Thanks Tharpe for your game and best wishes for your future and your daughter.

Bryce Landon 2 months, 3 weeks ago

If he was so worried about his daughter, then why did he go off and party with a stripper a few nights later like losing that game was no big deal?

Janet Olin 2 months, 3 weeks ago

I was critical of Naa's inconsistent play late last season and of his poor judgement with the photo incident. I never challenged his desire to play or loyalty to KU. Who knows how much family issues weighed on him; I wish him and his family nothing but the best.

Bryce Landon 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Anyone who believes that this is about his daughter's health should check out the beachfront property in western Kansas I just put up for sale. It's just a convenient excuse to let him leave without the embarrassment of the dismissal he deserves after partying with a stripper like losing in the Tournament was no big deal.

RJ King 2 months, 3 weeks ago

"It's too bad the dancing girls are on vacation; this crowd's getting ugly."

Gerry Butler 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Bryce there MR RORAL CRIMSON & BLUE you need to get ahold of coach self see if he is interested in your BEACHFRONT property there biggin as he believes nadir just give the ol atheletic dept a call there guy, I'm SURE COACH would love to talk to ya. you could really bring hin in seeing as how he believes nadir. what idiot doesn't believe here left hee for other reasons BESIDES his daughter also, tell ya what why don't you just pony on up and go talk to na for yourself get the REAL scoop and get back with us fill us in ok? ok bye bye abd have a nice day

Matthew Pyle 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Not sure why all the hate thrown at Tharpe. He had his issues, but what KU point guard hasn't over the last decade. He was still going to be a senior and a leader on this team (eh hem, experienced guards win championships??). Those of you thinking Alexander and Oubre are going to be instant all Americans and lead us to a title need to take off your crimson and blue colored glasses. I'm sure they'll be nice players, but playing in pick-up AAU games is very different than Division I basketball.....it's not inconceivable that one or both come off the bench.

Brian Wilson 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Well I get to say I told you so! I wrote back in March about how Self should have changed to Connor when he had the chance.
Naa was a 5'11" 4 star recruit. Shorter than Mason and Frankamp. Time develops defense and it never happened for Naa. He was afraid to defend up into the face of opponents making it easy for the other guard to make decisions, pass and to penetrate. While under Tharpe's direction, the number of steals dramatically dropped off from 2012 while turnovers went up. That is a sign of bad guard play! This all happening while everyone saying Connor and Frank are too small and other teams will score over them. Well if that is true then we should just stop recruiting point guards less than 6'4". But it's not and their height is just fine. But to give it consideration, the fact is that such an opportunity only arises 3 or 4 times a game and would probably only make a 4 to 6 point difference. I challenge anyone to tell me about one point guard that got burned for 25 points or more than one occasion just because he was too short to defend.
So, IMHO, Connor will start at PG. Connor and Frank are taller than Naa. People said Connor he had difficulty defending. Wrong. He was just figure things while not getting any minutes. In late season, Connor stayed in front of his man, kept his hands forward and up (unlike Naa), stole the ball in penetration, and remembered to position for loose balls. Connor is the fastest player on the team while dribbling the ball, hands down, period! Although Frank Mason is physically faster and can jump higher. When Connor had the ball, the other team had no chance to get a hand on it. He makes very few mistakes and his game management results in KU having more points and the other team less. You could not say that about Naa.
Connor is a 6'1" 4 start recruit. Before his freshman year, Connor played all summer long with the very All Americans in various camps and even though he got ignored by the press he pummeled the other teams and doubters.
Mason is 6'0" and had 3.3 stars when recruited. He is pure point guard and a more aggressive when penetrating to the bucket and going to the basket. Kind of interesting because it contrasts to Connor's penetrate and pull up for the jumper style. Mason is by far a much higher rated guard than Graham ever. So if Graham does pick KU, how can anyone say he will start. I don't think so. He will not be much a factor. He is underrated insurance against injury that could surprise or develop. He is a 2-Star guard and it's been a while since KU had a PG ranked so low.
(1) Frankamp, Mason, Graham(if he comes), (2) Selden, White, (3) Oubre, Greene, (4) Ellis, Traylor, Alexander, (5) Mickelson, Lucas, Alexander

Jack Wilson 2 months, 3 weeks ago

You do understand that Self will start Ellis and Alexander, right?

Brian Wilson 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Although I won't be surprised if Alexander wins a starting spot, Don't be surprised if Mickelson starts instead. He is a 4 star stud and has two years experience playing and starting for Arkansas and he just spent the past year practicing against Embiid and in case you didn't know, Hunter Mickelson set the freshman school record for most blocked shots while he played at Arkansas. Even Self has said....He is a poor man's Embiid. If I had to predict. Ellis and Mickelson to start with Alexander first off the bench

Michael Sillman 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Not sure where you got your info on Graham but you are way off. He is a 4 star recruit and the 36th ranked overall player in Rivals. Those are almost exactly the same numbers as Frankamp.

Mason was rated in the 70's but was a pleasant surprise this past year.

Anyone who thinks the Jayhawks are better off next year losing an experienced point guard either doesn't know college basketball or is just trying to rationalize a personal animosity for Tharpe.

We don't win our tenth Big 12 without Tharpe this past year and winning number 11 next year just got a lot harder.

Brian Wilson 2 months, 3 weeks ago

You are correct Rivals has him at 4 stars. But ESPN has him at a 2. And his composite across several other scouting services put him at a 2.7 and 79th overall.

John Williams 2 months, 3 weeks ago

1st time posting here but I have read the sight and comments for years and finally actually took the time to get set up and contribute my loyal 'ball hawk thought to what I consider a highly competitive and super loyal Kansas jayhawks forum. Naadir was never considered a great catch when self signed him 3 1/2 years ago or so. It seems like yesterday I remember seeing his mug on this sight with most everyone being pretty curious in their comments about what BSelf was doing recruiting such a short pg from way up North. Here we all r 3 years later with some of the same questions as we had but with the storied twist of why as a junior he is transferring or as I would put it leaving. It is coincidental as far as the timing.and the picture, however, no one who has ever been a parent or is now a parent would ever question the need to be around your child whether they are sick or healthy. I do a lot of traveling in my job and when I have to stay the night in a hotel even for just a day I miss my kids terribly and pray nothing happens to them while l'm gone. He is a parent and a young one at that, and has always been a true jayhawk and tried really hard to b the leader of a super young team. I could tell that he was laboring to do that about 2/3 of the way thru the season and was really gettn ripped by Self. At any rate, I know its a long post, especially for my 1st one, but Thorpe did contribute in his 1st year as the starting pg, but he was never gonna impress anyone enough to think he was a NC caliber pg. He was clearly overmatched physically and.mentally when it came.to consistent on the court performance. If only he played as good as he could moon walk things could have been better.for him. I applaud him for going to his child when she is in need but he is as well. U don't need luck Nadiir, u need exactly what your going home too. More later

Tom Gillaspie 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Two points to make here. 1 - He's gone, doesn't mater why. 2 - He could never play solid defense. If you watched his footwork it was a fundamental/physical issue. He has an odd style of running(?) with short steps instead of stepping and sliding. Starting line-up next year: 1. Frankamp/Mason 2. Selden 3. Oubre 4/5. Ellis/Alexander
See you in six months.

Sean Doherty 2 months, 3 weeks ago

I hate this fan base. I really cannot think of a fan base who's existential existence relies on what happens to young men more than this one. I love every young adult who takes the plunge of college athletics. I am a huge KU basketball fan. Those of you who address your life through young players lives are going to get yours. God and Jesus will make it so. Make fun of me all you want. Say whatever you want. You will get yours in the end. I send prayers to Tharpe and the rest of his teammates who love him. I can imagine how tough it will be for guys like Traylor and Ellis. Those who hate on these young men are right where you belong. I would be just as awful of a human being as you are if I stated the truth.

Erich Hartmann 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Oh, please! Save us the blanket lecture, and keep the religious comments to yourself. You obviously do not know that some of us KU "fans" may also be KU alums...may also be WilliamsFund donors...and we also may have spent years and years playing the game of basketball. And still play. Not to mention being firm believers in the FOE thing. The outpouring of support for Thomas Robinson is but one example. And I contributed to that Jayla Fund. SO, when some of us get analytical about a player's performance, or of a particular KU team's strengths or shortcomings, maybe we have more than just a passing fancy about KU basketball. Maybe, Mr. Doherty, you could call it a vested interest in KU basketball? Maybe you stand corrected? About some of us, at least. Dont make blanket statements.

And maybe you need to get out of your cocoon, and go read some comments by UNC, MichSt, Duke and Kentucky fans (after they got bounced out of the Tourney). You wont believe the negativity? So forget the "existential" speculation on us, and go discover the "reality" of the intensity of royalty-level fandom, and the many perspectives present, depending on the background of each fan. Should we get analytical about your post and maybe call you a 'simplistic reactionary'?

Erich Hartmann 2 months, 3 weeks ago

We wish Naadir Tharpe (& his daughter) the best. Unfortunate that he has to transfer, and no doubt a complex decision. He certainly did have a chance to come back strong his Sr. season with solid play, but, apparently that isnt going to happen now. A college kid who needed some maturing like many college kids do, but whose every move both on and off the court were under scrutiny, mostly because he played for a royalty level basketball program. Good luck Naadir Tharpe, wherever you go.

Erich Hartmann 2 months, 3 weeks ago

As for the returning players, with no Myles Turner...Landon Lucas and Hunter Mickelson now know they have to perform. So do Perry Ellis and Traylor. Cliff Alexander and Kelly Oubre bring an aggressive on-court disposition, so that will be a welcome mindset.

With Tharpe gone, just like when a senior PG graduates, the young returning guards know it is up to them to lead the team. Both Mason and Frankamp have some experience, especially Frank Mason. And analytically speaking, both have some attributes in some areas that exceed what Tharpe displayed in those same areas. Self will get them up to his standards.