Saturday, March 29, 2014

Virginia Tech big man eyeing Kansas

Virginia Tech’s Trevor Thompson (32) dunks as Miami’s Raphael Akpejiori watches in this photo from March 12, in Greensboro, N.C. Thompson has been granted his release and has been contacted by Kansas University coaches, according to a published report.

photo

Associated Press

Another college basketball big man has Kansas University on his list of possible transfer destinations.

Trevor Thompson, a 6-foot-11, 210-pound freshman from Virginia Tech, this week was granted a release by the ACC school. According to the Indianapolis Star, Thompson, who averaged 5.0 points, 4.7 rebounds and 16.2 minutes a game, has heard from coaches from KU, Arizona, Auburn, Florida, Georgetown, Kentucky, Nebraska, Northwestern, Ohio State, Purdue, Tennessee and Xavier.

Thompson, who started 11 games for 9-22 Virginia Tech, spent a year at St. John’s Northwestern Military Academy in Wisconsin after attending high school at Ben Davis High in Indianapolis. Unranked in high school, he chose Virginia Tech over Tennessee, Xavier, Indiana, Purdue and others. He hit 41 percent of his shots as a freshman and 65.3 percent of his free throws.

Thompson’s father, Ryan, spent nine years playing major-league baseball, winning a World Series with the New York Yankees. Thompson will be able to practice but not play in games next season in accordance with NCAA transfer rules. He’ll have three years of eligibility left starting in 2015-16.

Earlier this week it was reported KU may have interest in Temple transfer Anthony Lee, who will graduate in May and have immediate eligibility next season. The 6-9 junior is visiting Ohio State this weekend and also is considering KU, Indiana, Iowa State, Notre Dame and Louisville. He averaged 13.6 points and 8.6 boards during the 2013-14 campaign.

Mentoring: Kobe Bryant of the Los Angeles Lakers was asked by a fan about KU’s Andrew Wiggins and Duke’s Jabari Parker.

“Both have great potential. I’d mentor either one,” Bryant wrote on Twitter.

Wiggins, Embiid 1-2: SI.com’s Chris Mannix issued his most recent NBA Draft Big Board on Friday, consisting of his top 20 NBA prospects. KU’s Wiggins and Joel Embiid were listed as No. 1 and 2 overall prospects in the 2014 Draft.

“Wiggins began the season in the No. 1 spot — and finishes it there,” Mannix wrote. “He disappears a little too often, has shown a reluctance to consistently attack the rim and his mental toughness has been questioned, but there is too much brilliance to overlook. Wiggins has that rare ability to make difficult plays look effortless, and his on-ball defense is superior to that of virtually anyone at his position. NBA coaches should be able to draw out Wiggins’ star talent.

Of Embiid, Mannix wrote: “Let’s be clear: Embiid’s back injury isn’t raising red flags among NBA executives — yet. Several executives with likely lottery picks told SI.com that they will wait to get a closer look at Embiid’s medicals before moving him down on their boards. For now, they still see Embiid as a strong defender with high-level physical tools and the form and footwork to develop into an elite two-way center.”

Kerr likes trio: Steve Kerr, former general manager of the Phoenix Suns, was asked by the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel to make a choice between Embiid, Wiggins and Parker in terms of their pro potential.

“I think Embiid has the highest upside just because of his length and his ability to potentially control a game defensively,” Kerr told the paper. “Wiggins and Parker are both going to be really good, but I don’t see either one dominating a game at the defensive end. But I like all three of those guys. Parker feels like he is ready to play right now. Wiggins is going to score a lot of points next year. These guys are all so young. It takes time. But all three have all-star potential.”

Cliff runner-up: KU signee Cliff Alexander of Curie High placed second in voting for the Chicago Tribune’s Mr. Basketball Award, the paper announced Friday. Alexander had 55 first-place votes and 402 points; Duke signee Jahlil Okafor of Whitney Young had 64 firsts and 492 points.

Comments

Reggie Flenory 6 months ago

We need a point guard why on earth are we even talkin to anymore bigs embiid has yet to declare and miles turner has yet to commit not to mention we still have hunter mickleson commin in next yr

Dirk Medema 6 months ago

You talk, because that is all it is at this point in all cases. Thompson would sit next year, just like Hunter this year. Gotta plan for the future so we're not starting walk-ons in NC games - again.

Walter Bridges 6 months ago

Agree but with absolutely no malice towards this guy, there really isn't any need for him to fill. Hope he finds a good program where he can contribute.

Suzi Marshall 6 months ago

The idea of Embiid and Wiggins going 1,2 in the NBA draft will most likely produce a sardonic smile with a lot of JHawk fans due to the 10 losses and round of 32 exit. We all love our players and very proud of them so the reminder that today Dayton, with no first round draft picks, will be playing in the Elite 8, is a sobering thought.

Ryan Thompson is a very good dad and very much involved parent with the lives of his kids (www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tUULplebYY). He played some for the Astros in ’99. He’s not at all like X’s father.

Not sure what Self recruiting Thompson might mean in regards to signing Turner and the number of available scholarships. Turner just left UT and heading to Chicago for the McD game. My bet is he makes his announcement during that game.

Steve Kerr {6'3"} reminds me a lot of a slightly taller CF. Kerr played the two as should CF.

Alexander won the Sun-Times POY Award further demonstrating the spit personality of Chicagoland.

Rodney Crain 6 months ago

Its been tough to watch Kentucky advance too. So young, talented, and full of OAD's. Biggest differences, they have a PG and have figured out how to play defense.

Hope we get Turner and a PG!

Dirk Medema 6 months ago

Kerr got to play the 2 because da Bulls had a another 2 & 3 that could initiate the offense.

That was my hope for us before the season began, but we unfortunately didn't have another 2 or 3 that was dependable enough with the ball to initiate the O.

Well, that and the fact that CF shot less than 30% from 3 prior to March. Also guessing different system means not as likely to happen here.

Walter Bridges 6 months ago

I know we don't agree much Dirk but I never understood why CF was given such a short leash while Selden was pretty much given full reign from day one. Same with Greene and White before him. Three shooters known for their deadly trey and not one becomes the three point assassin we needed all season to help create space?

Nothing is a sure thing in sports but I think the blame lies somewhere other than behind the arc.

Walter Bridges 6 months ago

I still think Myles will be a Jayhawk. I cannot see any other reason for him waiting so long to make his decision was solely based on JoJo going to the NBA. Or maybe he really likes the attention (it would drive me crazy even if I had the talent).

As for a PG, not much chance of landing anyone for next year. It will once again (for the third straight year) be our Achilles' heel unless Mason or Frankamp can make a major leap forward.

Andy Hess 6 months ago

A VT transfer, eh? Hard pass.

Adam Tyler 6 months ago

Do you think any Iowa State fans said that when DeAndre Kane from Marshall was transferring in?

Turned out pretty good for them...

Andy Hess 6 months ago

Different school, different position, different skill set. Apples and oranges, my friend.

Len Shaffer 6 months ago

You're right, Andy. Clearly you know more than the coaches at KU, Arizona, Florida, Kentucky, and Ohio State, all of whom are interested in this guy. It's a wonder that you're not on a major coaching staff somewhere.

Andy Hess 6 months ago

God, I hate people like you. Anyone who offers an informed opinion that differs from the norm is an idiot because they don't work in a "major coaching staff somewhere," because unless I'm working for a college athletic program, my opinion isn't valid. Go play in traffic while the adults talk. Let's look at the team next year. At worst, assuming Embiid leaves and Turner doesn't pick KU, next year we've got Ellis, Alexander, Lucas, Traylor, and Mickelson to handle the four and the five. By all means, let's tie up a scholarship with another post player who couldn't even hack it at a mediocre ACC school when our strongest need is CLEARLY at the point guard. Also, comparing the transfer value of Kane, a guard from Marshall for Iowa State, with a post player from Va-Tech for KU is attenuated at best. If you can't understand why those two things aren't comparable, maybe you should just go color something.

Adam Tyler 6 months ago

You failed to describe how a guard from Marshall is so much different than a post-player from Virginia Tech.

Have you seen him play? Did you watch Kane prior to the season? What are you basing your information on?

Please enlighten us...

Walter Bridges 6 months ago

Most basketball fans past the middle school JV team level of knowledge would not need to be enlightened but I guess in your case let's start off in the lotus position...

Adam Tyler 6 months ago

Still no answer though.

Please inform me of a rule that states if you are a guard from a mid-major you will definitely be a stud, but if you are a post-player from a power conference looking to transfer it is absolutely absurd.

Neither of you answered. You just tried to mock people and look more intelligent. But failed to give a response.

Walter Bridges 6 months ago

Really Len? The coaches from KU, Arizona (don't they have two pretty big guys already?), Kentucky (don't get in Coach Cal's way), Ohio State and all of the other institutions are all beating a path to sign this unranked vunderkid?

I could see the interest in Lee if we were thin at that position - we aren't - but I obviously do not have the inside info that you surely must have. The brain trust at these institutions are surely monitoring your every comment as they search for new leads on previously average at best prospects.

Jason Keller 6 months ago

Please oh god please let the Lakers get Wiggins!!! That would be so sick!!! He would start yesterday! They start Jody Meeks for god's sake!

Benz Junque 6 months ago

I hate the Lakers with a passion, so please no.

Walter Bridges 6 months ago

Growing up within a ferry ride and a train transfer to Madison Square Garden, I loved the Lakers. Wilt, West, Gail, Happy and then later SHOWTIME! Magic, Kareem, Worthy, Silk, Superman and the best bunch of backup players/stars and the hated Celtics.

But then came Shaq, Kobe, Phil Jackson and my Laker apparel were boxed up, shoved up into the attic where they remain. Once Gerry West left the organization and Dr. Buss gave up more and more control to a bunch of whiners and malcontents I officially stopped following NBA teams. I still follow players and coaches and will watch the playoffs (but that's it), the pro-game became nothing more than a bunch of extremely overpaid though talented all about me cesspool of waste.

If I were to pick a team, it would be Oklahoma and there are plenty of team oriented players plus Jayhawks in the league that keeps me at least minimally interested. I ran an eBay business for 20+ years in which I have accumulated some valuable (if only to me) and a few objects of real value in sports memorabilia. My cousin was the executive vice president of sales for Topps cards and even though the business was never more than a secondary vocation, I have just about every Jayhawks rookie card (signed/memorabilia/both even including Josh Selby's McDonald All-American card going back to JoJo White)

Where Wiggins and the other super rookies end up doesn't really matter. Very few players have any loyalty and the teams have even less. In the end, I think the only thing that matters to these guys is how many rings they can earn, regardless if they even play, and their personal records that will eventually be surpassed and forgotten. I dealt in all the sports, even have US troops in Afghanistan and Obama campaign cards but my signed Danny Manning Sports Illustrated magazine (has some other dudes home address in the lower right corner) and a few other special items are about all I value in what was once a true love for professional sports.

Anyways, who gives a **** I'm an alcoholic and thanks for letting me share.

Kevin Jenkins 6 months ago

if he has to sit a year, it's a good idea to take TT. With Embiid leaving us THIS year or next and Turner undecided yet. Even if he chooses KU. We could use him next year. KU's priority should be a point guard with some height. Yes, maybe next year we use Conner or Mason. Tharpe hasn't shown he has the heart to lead. Is there any transfers available?

Yonatan Negash 6 months ago

Embiid - going to the NBA

Black - graduating

Traylor - ???

Lucas - May not be with Kansas anymore

Turner - May not be a sure bet to come to Kansas

In that case, I can see why we are recruiting more bigs.

I'd have to agree though, recruiting a point guard should be on top of the list.

Aaron Paisley 6 months ago

Why do you have question marks next to Traylor's name and what makes you think Lucas might transfer?

Jeremy Wilhelm 6 months ago

Not to mention this kid mentioned in the article will be sitting out a year.

Dirk Medema 6 months ago

and you don't mention Hunter or Alexander.

We definitely need improved guard play, but that doesn't mean you ignore continuing to develop quality depth in the front court.

Yonatan Negash 6 months ago

I think Landen Lucas is a perfect candidate to transfer. Like I said, he may be leaving Kansas. Lucas averaged 4.9 minutes this season; do you really think his playing time is going to increase significantly next season?

As I see it, unless Jamari becomes a reliable scorer, I don’t see him starting anytime soon. To me Jamari is a huge question mark, we’ll have to wait and see how he continues to develop.

I don’t mention Alexander because he’s going to be a OAD. However, Alexander will be a treat to watch.

As for Hunter, I just don’t know much about him. I don’t know how he’ll play, I don’t know if he’ll be a great fit, I don’t know if he’ll be a starter. I just don’t know, I haven’t seen him play. We’ll just have to wait and see.

I trust in our coaching staff and frankly, they’ll make the right decisions for our team.

Aaron Paisley 6 months ago

I just don't see Lucas as a realistic transfer candidate until he gets his degree and leaves as a senior transfer like Tarik Black did and he may not even do that. Lucas taking the redshirt his first year to says that he understands that he may not be a big factor early on in his career and may never be a starter. Players who get to a school expecting playing time only to find out they won't get much tend to not use a redshirt until they transfer and use the redshirt during the season they sit out.

Andrew White makes much more sense for the reasons you think Lucas will tranfer. White was a top 50 recruit who ran into bad luck with KU recruiting over him. This would've been the perfect situation to redshirt White if he was a big part of the future plans, but White not taking the redshirt this year to me is a strong sign that Self advised him to save to use next year while sitting out wherever he transfers to.

Dirk Medema 6 months ago

4.9 mpg for a freshmen sounds pretty good, especially considering the 4 bigs ahead of him. I would definitely agree with you that he isn't likely to see a big increase in his minutes next year, but then most soph's don't. Landen is practicing for his Jr/Sr years. Coach has said that from the beginning.

Not talking about Alexander because he's a OAD doesn't make sense when you do spend the time to list Black and Embiid. It's right up there with not even listing Hunter because he's an unknown, though there is plenty to know about him from his 2 seasons at Arky.

Walter Bridges 6 months ago

Sounds perfect to me... Then after sitting out another season only this time losing a year of eligibility, he can transfer again. He can be the first NCAA player to ever use all four years of eligibility as a redshirt player.

PERFECT!

Walter Bridges 6 months ago

Traylor???..Umm, is he a Mormon getting ready for a two-year mission because if not, where else is he going to be but in a Kansas uniform? He's already used up his redshirt (this will be a reoccurring theme) Lucas may not be with KU? He's already REDSHIRT one season, so where is he going? Hunter Mickelson? Does he have some alternative plans that only you know about? Because if not, he practiced with the team last year but wasn't able to play because he was a REDSHIRT player. Perry Ellis Cliff Alexander

That's five players for the 4/5. Even if Myles Turner heads elsewhere, I think it's safe to say HCBS has it covered.

Walter Bridges 6 months ago

Myles Turner visits Texas, doesn’t commit: http://shar.es/BG2Yz

Aaron Paisley 6 months ago

Never hurts to give a kid a look because options are a good thing, but this kid and the Temple kid should pretty low on the priority list right now.

Dirk Medema 6 months ago

"Mr. Thompson, I'd like you to meet Ms. Hudy. You can put your bags in that corner of the training room. This is where you'll be living for the next year."

Jack Wilson 6 months ago

Why pursue Thompson?

Easy. In 2015-16, the first year he would be eligible, it is likely (as it stands now) that the only big men on campus that we'll have are Lucas, Traylor, and Mickelson.

Alexander and Turner (if he comes) are both considered OADs. And Turner may not come.

Good chance that Ellis may go after his junior season, though that possibility has slipped. And even if Embiid is a two year player (which he won't be), we're in the same position.

So all coach Self is doing is planning and protecting.

When you are on the OAD merry go round, and you are apparently focusing on those guys, your ability to develop the next level of talent takes a hit. So we look to transfers to fill the void.

Why pursue the Temple kid?

Because, as was the case last season, Self is not completely enamored with his bench players -- Traylor, Lucas, and now Mickelson. Self would only pursue Lee, it seems, as a backup plan to Turner and because he sees Lee as better than Traylor, Lucas, and Mickelson. That analysis seems quite easy.

And don't anyone worry for one moment about scholarships available. If we need something, we will get it. And the appropriate player will transfer. A nudge, we'll call it.

Right now, we have four scholarships available -- Black, Wiggins, Embiid and White*.With Oubre and Alexander, it would appear that we only have two available. But if we need more, we will get them.

*Yes, I'm assuming Embiid leaves, as is the entire basketball world.

**Yes, I am assuming White transfers. The writing on the wall has never been so clear with any player that I can recall.

Aaron Paisley 6 months ago

The VT kid is a pure project. Only 210 lbs. and 6-11, Isaiah Austin thinks this kid is skinny. He's a 2 year project just to get his weight to a place where he can play Bill Self defense.

With the Temple kid, he's a big body that can anchor the post and be a mentor to Cliff like Black was to Embiid this season. Self's already shown he trusts Traylor to play big minutes when necessary. Traylor's game is also different from Lee if I'm remembering Temple's roster from this season in the Traylor will take guys off the dribble from the high post and Lee is primarily a back to the basket type player. Again, I could be wrong about Lee's game, but that's what I remember the couple of times I watched them this year, so if that's the case, Traylor and Lee will complement each other well on the offensive end of the floor.

Rodney Crain 6 months ago

Be careful Jack, I mentioned a nudge as you call it a few days ago for the right player transfer, a graduated PG, and Benz took it as an affront, like this thing does not happen at his school. Now he might give you a pass cause its you, but I said the same thing, it happens right?

Jack Wilson 6 months ago

See below .. we all know "nudges" occur.

John Randall 6 months ago

A purely objective look at AWiii as a potential transfer. Coach Self sees him as an odd-man-out, and would make every effort help him relocate where he'd be better situated to have the kind of impact he is capable of. There are many schools where this player would thrive, and I think by now even he realizes KU just isn't one of them. Both Andrew and KU could, probably would benefit.

Dirk Medema 6 months ago

There is at least 1 part of the BB world - a tiny speck of dust from the lint ball in the corner, that is not assuming either * or **. Both are possibilities, but maybe not.

Benz Junque 6 months ago

I don't think there's much chance that Ellis leaves after next year at all. He isn't athletic enough for the NBA to be trying to scoop him up early.

Mark Lindrud 6 months ago

So, no point guard. If we don't get one to come in then maybe Selden starts playing the point because we've got enough depth at the wing. I'm starting to wonder why Mickelson came here because I don't know when he's going to get minutes. If it's Embiid or Turner the backup is Lucas which means Mickelson may play quality minutes by his senior year unless we bring in another center.

Rodney Crain 6 months ago

This is just news, a statement, it does not say we are done or not looking for a PG or any other player that might help our team. File it away, we are in the mix, this is all this means to me.

Mark Lindrud 6 months ago

Agreed. It's very early and we haven't gotten into April yet. Recruiting is always fluid and things change. The next month is going to be interesting because I'm betting some integral changes happen and not just with Joel.

Travis Clementsmith 6 months ago

Here's what I don't get. Time and again, some of our best teams are teams that draw heavier from experience than from talent. Our best teams had both. Last year we had no returning starters, a lot of freshman and a senior transfer. Lots of new pieces that still won the B12 in a year considered one of its strongest and would probably still be playing if one of its most dominant pieces hadn't been sidelined with injury. People point to 10 losses (against one of the toughest schedules in recent memory) and think that by bringing in a new PG, that's going to cure what ails us. Its like the fan base never learns. I get it, the PG play was erratic, and defensively it was a liability, but why do people think you could bring a brand new player, no matter how talented, to arguably the most demanding position on the court, and its all going to magically fall in place? Worked well for Kentucky last year, eh? KU will be better next year because they have a greater part of their players with experience than without it. Freshman who stay will show the sophomore jump in improvement that regularly occurs, especially here at KU. This isn't the pros where you can rent a vet. These kids are not full adults, emotionally and psychologically. Those of you who think they can get some transfer PG to throw into the pressure cooker of starting KU point guard are nuts. Our improvement at the position will have to come from within this next year, or it won't come at all.

Jonathan Allison 6 months ago

people point to Deandre Kane and say "Get a guy like him", but how many transfers did Fred Hoiberg take before he lucked out on Deandre Kane?

Those kinds of players tend to not transfer, and we can't just grow them on trees. If there's a promising transfer out there we'll definitely get in the mix, but don't hold your breath.

Also, as far as recruiting transfer bigs goes (Black, Mickelson, Thompson, Lee), HEM made a great point that I want to emphasize. Not just when recruiting OADs, but in general when recruiting HS basketball players, you NEVER know how that player will transition to college. When recruiting transfers you have very valuable information on that player from his previous university. It's almost like the NBA instating the OAD rule. It not a bad way to recruit, in my opinion, especially when you plan on also having a bunch of freshman who will contribute. Hoiberg has definitely help to turn the tide in my eyes on transfers.

Dan Cook 6 months ago

I think it's a valid point, Travis. Not sure using UK's point guard situation as support is wise though. They're still playing and the Harrison kid, as wild and erratic as he was at times during the season, is playing very well. Clearly a future pro.

If a PG candidate surfaces, our guys will be on it. I doubt any PG considering movement would ignore KU. I'd bet they send up flares to make sure we know. If no one surfaces, then we approach the season as if the job is open. Someone steps up and grabs it. Maybe even Wayne gets into the mix.

As for recruiting big men, I just want JoJo to announce already. Shy of some recurrence of injury, I can't see him coming back. And I certainly don't want to see him injured again before the draft. I'm guessing there may be some advantage to Joel in waiting to declare?

Jeremy Wilhelm 6 months ago

He did say last year. And this year is still in the balance.

Jack Wilson 6 months ago

Self wants a player to transfer so he can open the scholarship .. hypothetical conversation say between coach Self and Landen Lucas. Just as an example.

Self: Thanks for coming in to talk.

Player: Sure coach, what's up.

Self: Well, I just wanted to talk with you about what I project your role to be on this team moving forward. I talk to most of the guys about that.

Player: Well, I'm looking forward to getting back to work.

Self: I'm sure you are. In looking at our roster, what I try to do is anticipate my rotation, backups, etc. It's what I need to do as far as recruiting. When I see what I have here, and what I have coming in, it's hard for me to see you getting much playing time, even in your junior and senior seasons.

Player: Really? It seemed I was making progress.

Self: Oh, you are. I love how you play the game. Unfortunately, at Kansas, we are always targeting the top guys. We have Cliff coming in, maybe Turner. Ellis will be here. And Jamari has made great leaps. You and Hunter appear to offer a lot the same thing. Both of you very good players.

Player: Well I could compete and win time, right?

Self: Of course. But I see things objectively. I have to. No matter how much I like you, I have to put what I think is the best talent on the floor. For 2015, we'll likely have 2 highly ranked post guys. I'm not sure either one will be a one and done. So both those guys would be here through your senior season. I also anticipate bringing in a transfer. The transfer I'm anticipating is farther along than you are. I guess what I'm saying is that it's hard for me to project you being part of a 4 man post rotation at any point.

Player. I guess I'm not totally surprised. I love it here though.

Self: And we love having you here. Look, this is your scholarship. It's your life, your career. If you are content, then so am I.

Player: But I want to play. I only get to be a college player once, and I think I can play pro ball.

Self: I do understand. I think you can too.

Player: Well how can I do that if I don't play?

Self: Well, you make a great point. I'm not saying you won't play here. I'm just trying to shoot it to you absolutely straight so you can have all the information. It would be selfish for me not to give you my thoughts. I love having all of the security I can get. But it's not fair to you if I keep it to myself.

Player: Well, thanks coach. Do you think I should transfer? I mean, if I leave I have to sit out another season. I would only have two seasons left to play since I redshirted a year.

(continued)

Jack Wilson 6 months ago

Self: That's not my decision. I do know the desire to play the game. And playing the game puts you in a position to make a living playing the game. If you were my son, I'd want you to play the game. And honestly, I want that for you. Selfishly, I want you here. But if you aren't going to play here for three seasons, but could get good playing time, probably start, somewhere else for two seasons -- I guess you just have to balance that.

Player: Ok, well I have to think about this.

Self: If you are considering an alternative, I would love to know soon. You know, planning and all.

Player: Sure, how soon?

Self: Coach Townsend is out in the hall and he can visit with you more. See what his thoughts are. Or coach Roberts and Howard. If you or family have any questions, let me know.

Player: Ok, thanks coach.

Just a hypothetical.

Aaron Paisley 6 months ago

HEM, your thoughts about Bill Self going after Kevin Ware from Louisville now that Ware has announced he's planning on transferring for his final season?

Rodney Crain 6 months ago

If I can chime in, looks like he wants to stay close to home, not sure he is the guard we would want to run the Ferrari of a team we got coming in next year. We need to find someone like Kane at ISU, that would be the dream.

Aaron Paisley 6 months ago

Dreams get coaches fired. KU cannot depend upon someone that might come available when there is currently someone available. If Ware says no thanks to KU or he's deemed to big of a medical risk because of his leg, that's fine and KU moves on somewhere else. I think it would be a bad idea to ignore a currently available PG who played meaningful minutes for a team that won a national title, even if he was a back up PG.

Rodney Crain 6 months ago

Aaron you missed the point, the dream is to uncover a player no one knows about that was as GREAT as Kane was. Thus today all you can do is dream or hope that happens. Ware is not the answer and due to his injury and that he is a combo/PG guard who wants to stay close to family in GA lets look else ware. We got one shot for a PG transfer it would be a waste to use it on Ware. Coaches dream all the time they just do not share them. I bet Self dreamed his team played better defense, tharpe played better, and their shooters from 3 point land were better. By the way we got 3 back up point guards on the roster already. Do not need a 4th.

Dirk Medema 6 months ago

Any ideas what was the new injury to his broken leg?

Aaron Paisley 6 months ago

From what I've read, it sounded like he came back too soon from his broken leg. He got kicked in the leg during a game against Mo. St. and that reaggravated the injury.

Rodney Crain 6 months ago

Very possible, next years team could have all the pieces if we find a PG.

Yonatan Negash 6 months ago

Jack - You're spot on with your hypothetical statement. I really see coach having this type of talk with couple of our current players (i.e., Lucas, White and may be even Nadire)

Tom Keegan 6 months ago

Ryan Thompson was with the Mets when I wrote a baseball column for the New York Post. Super nice guy. Smart, really funny, always upbeat.

Luca Rossi 6 months ago

I like the sounds of this guy. Good size, military background, athletic family... could be a nice addition for KU.

Joe Baker 6 months ago

We don't need any big men, but I do like anticipating Alex leaving after next year's season. I see Hunter and Lucas playing some great mins their last season or two at KU. No big man is coming with possibly having Embiid, Turner, Alex, Hunter, Ellis, Lucas, and Traylor. I definitely see Embiid and or Turner and Alex all gone sooner than later.

The longer Embiid takes, the more I'm convinced he's gone. I would think like Selden, he would've announced his staying sooner. I think Wiggins and Embiid are working their agent details right now. Mbah aMoute is helping Embiid and Wiggins' dad is helping him with representation. In fact, Embiid will likely use Mbah aMoute's agent.

We need something from Embiid so Turner has a chance to make a decision. His waiting this long convinces me he's waiting on Embiid. Turner would've committed to any other team by now. We need a great juco pg. I just don't know if we'll find a top notch pg from the juco ranks. I keep thinking of Tyrone Appleton, ugh.

Sam Burns 6 months ago

If I was on the coaching staff, I'd be asking myself what we are doing to cause such exceptional shooters to underachieve. I was so excited this year to see Greene, Frankamp, and White III along with Wiggins and Seldon finally put a stop to our three point shooting problems (excluding McLemore of course). But it was the biggest disappointment of the season for me.

Rock Klein 6 months ago

Who is the coach responsible for coaching the guards. I know that Norm Roberts is the 'Bigs' coach. I agree that it appears like adjustments need to be made in our guard development. Watching teams in the sweet sixteen, I have seen some excellent guard play, and I don't think we would have competed well against most of those teams.

Kevin Jenkins 6 months ago

Well Jack has some good ideas. Self has always been great at getting the big guys and shooting guards. But for the last few years the point has been a big let down.Bringing in a transfer pg would not cause problems. Even if he didn't start right away, it could only be a plus.Self should take the transfers if offered. If Lucas applied himself he may work out. As far as White I don't know. Didn't see him enough. Could he workout at Point guard? I don't think so. There really isn't a place for him at the SG spot.

Joe Baker 6 months ago

The last pg situation that I remember was Scottie Reynolds with Nova/OU...The other was Turner with zona and you saw how those turned out. I just don't think a pg worth having or impacting your team/program is going to leave nor is a good coach going to let them leave. Your pg is a HUGE piece as we are seeing in these last F4 teams this year. They all have great pg play: Napier, Harrison (fair), Wilbekin, and Wisconsin. I think you're going to see either Florida or UConn take this NC. They have the best two pgs in the tourney this year. Wilbekin and Napier are outstanding.

Where can we get points like them? Anyone? HCBS? Any ideas? hmmm...crickets? I don't see any pgs being recruited either. I hope Mason develops into Collins 2.0 and fast. I think Bill Self has a reputation that uses 3s,4s, and 5s. PGs want to be the ONE. He wants the team to be build around him. Self's system doesn't exactly encourage pg leadership. The pg in Self's system always yields to the 3, 4, or 5 the majority of the time. I don't think a Wilbekin or Napier would thrive with HCBS's system. Collins was the last pg that Self really let lead like Napier and Wilbekin. He never really turned TT, EJ and now Tharpe lose. I'm trying to understand how much is Tharpe and how much is Self. Maybe if Self would stop trying to force Tharpe into a mold, Tharpe would thrive. Tharpe seems confused or frustrated.

I forgot Selby...ugh.