Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Kansas interested in Ojeleye?

The Cameron Crazies salute Semi Ojeleye (30) and the rest of the Blue Devils following their 113-44 win over Presbyterian in Durham, N.C., Friday, Nov. 14, 2014.

photo

Associated Press

In this Saturday, Oct. 25, 2014, photo, Duke's Semi Ojeleye (30) watches during an NCAA college basketball scrimmage at Cameron Indoor Stadium in Durham, N.C.

Kansas University on Monday was one of many schools to inquire about Duke forward Semi Ojeleye, who has decided to transfer. The 6-foot-7 Ojeleye, who averaged 3.0 points in six games for the Blue Devils, played in 17 games a year ago. Ojeleye, whose brother was a walk-on at Kansas State, chose Duke over KSU, Indiana, Oregon, Missouri, Stanford, UCLA and Wisconsin his senior year at Ottawa High.

He has said he wants to make some visits before picking his new school. KU has two scholarships to give in recruiting, more if players turn pro or transfer after the season.

Schools such as Missouri, Maryland, Indiana, Butler and Wisconsin have also inquired.

Related story:

Comments

Joe Ross 6 years, 11 months ago

Too many players Kansas is in on to give one of those few schollies to Ojeleye.

Andy Hess 6 years, 11 months ago

I fail to see how adding another wing is helpful when we are so woefully thin at PG and decent bigs at PF/C

Jesse Johnson 6 years, 11 months ago

Exactly. Unless both Selden and Oubre go pro after this season I don't see any need for more wings. Even if they do both go pro we will still have Svi and Greene, not at all a bad wing rotation. We need more quality bigs, preferably ones that are taller than 6' 8". Should be good at PG if Mason and Graham can stay healthy.

Keith Gellar 6 years, 11 months ago

Wow..now we're taking hand me downs from Duke? surprised Bill's ego would even let him get this far.

Laser Quest 6 years, 11 months ago

Did you like Tarik Black? Jeff Withey?

It would be nice if people would attempt to use their brains every once in a while before commenting.

RJ King 6 years, 11 months ago

I smile every time I hear the name Kevin Young. My gosh - what a great contribution to that team. I'll never forget him owning someone else's foul (Withey's?) that would've been their 5th.

Nathan Scholl 6 years, 11 months ago

Says the commenter who's name is Laser Quest. Do you live in your Mom's basement? Sorry, I had to.

Greg Ledom 6 years, 11 months ago

So is it always Nathan Scholl where you do other postings, or on fantasy leagues? Do you have high water pants, a short sleeve dress shirt with a pocket protector and black rimmed glasses? Sorry, I had to.....

Separately, LQ was spot on.

Walter Bridges 6 years, 11 months ago

I think Laser Quest scored a direct hit with his comment. Why wouldn't you at least take a look at the kid and see if he is capable of contributing and if not, say goodbye.

But to just write off a player because he is a transfer doesn't make much sense when you look at some of the key transfers that Kansas has picked up. I'm not saying Ojeleye is the answer and would probably pick Kansas State anyways but why not take a look. Nothing to lose. And..uhh 'Laser Quest' needs an upgrade despite making a good point.

Jonathan Allison 6 years, 11 months ago

Is Semi a three or is he more of a stretch 4?

If he transfers at semester will he have 2 and a half years left of eligibility?

Does he play defense?

If we anticipate in 2016-2017 (let alone for next season) that we won't have Alexander, Oubre, Svi, or Selden and Ellis will graduate, then adding Semi now is not a bad idea. He will be a Jr when Greene is a Sr.

Walter Bridges 6 years, 11 months ago

He will have 2 1/2 years left to play at whatever school he transfers to. In my opinion Semi is a 3. He has a strong physique but I think he is capable of banging with the bigs game in and out. Scout gave a score of 26 and Rivals at 31. He had a decent freshman year but found himself stuck behind a lot of talent.

Robert Brock 6 years, 11 months ago

He has an NBA body and Division 2 skills.

Stay in the hunt for the top remaining 2015 seniors who can provide what the team needs. Zimmerman, Jaylen Brown, Bragg, Rabb, Diallo etc.

Brian Mellor 6 years, 11 months ago

He went to High School less than an hour from Lawrence and there was very little indication that KU was ever even seriously on his radar, or him on KU's. One would guess that there was a reason for that, and hard to say why that reason would have changed in a year. Maybe he was a KSU fan and just hates KU. Or he was just ready to leave Kansas. I live in Raleigh now, 30 minutes from Duke, and it would take a whole lot to get me to ever come back to Kansas.

John Boyle 6 years, 11 months ago

Great. Then don't come back. The state has gone on just fine without you.

Brian Mellor 6 years, 11 months ago

Hmmm, looks like somebody's getting grouchy in the sub-freezing temperatures. Guess I'll go take a walk outside without a jacket on.

Ian Emerson 6 years, 11 months ago

Not grumpy, we just dont want you back.

Brian Mellor 6 years, 11 months ago

That's fine. Just understand that when it comes to the choice, my priority tree looks something like:

Average Winter Temperatures - Duration of Winter - Distance to Beach - Distance to Mountains - Employment - 10-15 more applicable reasons --------------> Level of welcome from internet people I've never met.

Admittedly, I might be exaggerating, putting that last one so high on the list.

Walter Bridges 6 years, 11 months ago

LMAO@ Level of welcome from internet people I've never met.

Glen Miller 6 years, 11 months ago

That's too bad that you don't like where you grew up. I agree the weather and scenery isn't all that great compared to where you are..... but I'm proud to have grown up in Kansas. No need to dog out our state, just because you don't feel the same. When you go to Kansas to play basketball, it's not for the scenery or pretty trees..... it's because you want to win basketball games and play on the biggest stage possible prior to the NBA. If that were the case, FAU would be a perennial powerhouse. Don't come on our site and dog on our school, that's very immature.

Brian Mellor 6 years, 11 months ago

I've got a bachelor and two master degrees from KU, and I wear a Jayhawks hat all the time, deep in Tar Heel, Wolfpack, and Blue Devil country. It's really rather fun. Perhaps you shouldn't assume so much. Particularly with a profile that says that you live in Tulsa, Oklahoma.

But man, you guys are Sensitive, ha. I can't even tell how you read some of this into that short pair of lines.

Glen Miller 6 years, 11 months ago

What does having a degree at KU have to do with the fact that you dogged out the STATE? Looks to me like for all of your book smarts, your common sense is lacking. I had to move to Tulsa for my job, not by choice. I have been trying to find a job back home, but have come up empty thus far..... maybe you shouldn't assume either.

Walter Bridges 6 years, 11 months ago

You might have noticed that Willie Cauley Stein also received very little interest from Kansas. I've got a feeling Brian, it would be hard to find anyone who cared if you ever came back.

Mike Riches 6 years, 11 months ago

Sounds a lot like Andrew White to me...

Joe Joseph 6 years, 11 months ago

An interesting and probably fair comparison based on their height, weight, and skill sets. Almost identical size coming out of high school and both were known for shooting it well. Semi was a bit more highly touted, however.

Brian Skelly 6 years, 11 months ago

We dont need another undersized 4 - or underskilled 3. Im sure he's a great kid and seems reasonably athletic. But we have those guys coming out the ears. We need those spots for PGs. Which by the way, it would be nice if Coach Self actually got a top flight PG one of these years.

Rodney Crain 6 years, 11 months ago

Normally I would say pass, if you cannot play for coach K that means, well you can't play right now, but we might get shut out in recruiting, he might be all we can get. Beggars cannot be choosers.

Glen Miller 6 years, 11 months ago

Holy wow...... calm down man, we are not going to get shut out on recruiting. The kids we are in on are just waiting to see who leaves early before they make their decision. It's the way of recruiting now. We'll get a couple studs, the sky is not falling lol.

Rodney Crain 6 years, 11 months ago

Holy wow, what are you 10?

I am kidding in my post, kind of. Glen in case you have not been paying attention, only 6 players of the 17 left in the top 100 even visited our campus, we are not the leading school for any one of those players. I am sure we will get somebody, but doesn't it strike you as very unusual that we are the only school with multiple open scholarships who has failed to get even one commit, or be the leading school for any player left? If you think the answer is we are only interested in players who are waiting till Spring, that would be incorrect. The answer is we are down to our final six, everyone else passed.

Chad Lee 6 years, 11 months ago

pretty sure we are ahead on Diallo and calling Kansas beggars just concluded my opinion of you. The rhetorical bulsht that you spew is just nonsense. no need for a pre or post teen reply. I try very hard to skip your posts. sorry everyone I just couldn't take it anymore. no teen replies either please. yeah right! only in my dreams. I give it 30 minutes.

Glen Miller 6 years, 11 months ago

And you know we don't lead on anyone because you know each of these kids personally? The "leader boards" for these kids is at best an educated guess. Nobody really knows who leads in most cases. Everyone last year thought Miles was a done deal if Embiid left and oooooops, he went to Texas. We have 2 scholarships that we know for certain will be available. If the roster stays in tact, Newman probably doesn't come here because of Selden. If Oubre stays, we lose out on a top wing more than likely. I'm not really quite sure why no bigs have commited, because it's obvious we need size down low.... but it is what it is. If you really think that we don't lead for ANY of our top targets, you're smoking some good product. But with only 2 open spots, you have to factor in that Self has told a few of these guys not to commit yet, because he is waiting on his top targets to decide. It's part of the business. If a kid commits early that is borderline or is not your top target, it can cause you to lose out on your top guy. We'll be fine and no, I'm 35 and apparently not as uptight as you are.

Erich Hartmann 6 years, 11 months ago

Good lord, guys, do we really have to blast fellow fans/alums on here? All my gut feeling on Ojeleye is that he isnt a slam-dunk type of guy. He's a tweener that also, most importantly, didnt contribute much at Duke. He's not ready to "star" at a royalty level program. Developmental project at best, maybe like a sophomore Traylor, but then I dont want to slam Traylor, because he has an amazing energy and motor, something you cannot teach. I know little if Ojeleye has a motor or a high-energy guy...

Gerry Butler 6 years, 11 months ago

no, we need to pass on this, still in on too many players better players. latest article I saw was we leading for Diallo which would definitely benefit us better and still very much in the hunt for Bragg think it would be mistake and believe me we don't have to BEG for players to come to KU ya a lot of the high profile players have yet to commit but just because they haven't committed to us isn't squat . they also haven't committed to any other university either you can look at that any way you want. if they were decided to where they were going they would have committed to that school already instead of waiting so ya we are still in the mix for these guys no reason just to be grabbing bodies just to fill scholarships. KU will NEVER have to beg very good players to play for the jayhawks. GO HAWKS

Rodney Crain 6 years, 11 months ago

Your right of course, I would much rather have zero recruits, only 6 that have visited our campus and we are sitting on 2 open scholarships. This is exactly where the mighty KU should be sitting GO HAWKS! You have no concern at all that we will get who we want, not who is left?

Give me a break Gerry, you are dreaming if you think we are not waiting for those 6 to see if they can play at KY first before having to settle for KU. Maybe Duke or any other school that is close to their home as well. If those highly impactful players want to come to any school they will find a place for them. We might not be begging, but we will not be choosing either.

Glen Miller 6 years, 11 months ago

Jesus negative nancy.... I guess in your fantasy land, KU basketball is no better than Georgia Southern. Apparently our history, success under Self or name has no bearing with recruits anymore. We should just shut down the program....

Rodney Crain 6 years, 11 months ago

It ok Glen its just a post you do not have to reply if it upsets you. I know how fragile rainbows are in your blue sky world. Your right I agree we do not seem to be as big a draw as we used to be. I am sure it is just some weird quick, its just a cycle. By the way when was the last time you can recall that we had no commits, and open scholarships? You guys kill me, We are Kansas we are great. Come on, this is embarrassing.

Luca Rossi 6 years, 11 months ago

You're right Rodney in the fact that its unusual for KU to have no commits for a season at this point. However, i think its just a product of the new era of basketball recruiting. Things are transitioning and aren't like they used to be. More and more of the top recruits are waiting until the last minute to decide. Recruits are reclassifying as well. Media is giving more and more attention to these kids earlier and earlier in high school, etc. KU has gone all-in on filling their schollies with these players, boom or bust. Odds are we'll get one or two but theres still the chance we get none. It seems like the risk that Self has decided to take.

Aaron Paisley 6 years, 11 months ago

Why is everyone against even looking at a kid. It's called doing due diligence and every successful person, regardless of field, does it to determine the best fit for a situation. If Self determines that Ojeleye fills a need on the team better than anyone else available, he will offer and if there are better options available to fill KU's needs, he will pursue those options first. Right now, Self is doing his due diligence on Ojeleye which is what he needs to do.

Joe Ross 6 years, 11 months ago

Potential benefits must be weighed against risks. While Ojeleye's presence may possibly benefit the team in the short term, it is much more certain that we stand to miss out on some big blue chip recruits available next year if he claims a scholarship. I like Landen Lucas, Jamari Traylor, and some others, but we don't need another one of those kind of guys when impact players are being added to Kentucky and Duke annually. At Kansas we need to be cognizant of the way that the best teams are competing, and then we need to break the mold of the old way ("build them up in 2 or 3 years and then threaten for a title"). Ojeleye, as good as he could become, will not be on par with the Jahlil Okafors, Tyus Joneses, etc.

Aaron Paisley 6 years, 11 months ago

Joe, you completely missed the point of my post. Tell me where I said KU needs to sign Ojeleye or that Ojeleye is the solution to KU's future depth issues?

Joe Ross 6 years, 11 months ago

I did not miss the point of your post. You are pursuing the question of whether or not Ojeleye fills a need on the team and whether or not he is worth giving a "look" to. I lift those things almost verbatim from your comments. My argument is that any need he would fill is not worth it in the long-term analysis and that he is not worth giving a serious look to because, as I stated above, we are in on too many recruits that are and will be greater impact players than Ojeleye. Your points are not lost on me. I simply suggest they are wrong.

Aaron Paisley 6 years, 11 months ago

You did miss my point. My point is that Self needs to do due diligence with this just like Zenger did with the coaching search in football. The 2012 recruiting class is all the proof you need about why Self needs to take a serious look. Self didn't do due diligence in recruiting that year, got burned by unexpected departures and he is still trying to play catch up with roster balance because of it.

Joe Ross 6 years, 11 months ago

Again, I did not miss your point. Im all for due diligence. But it is self evident that a simple consideration of the matter of Ojeleye's open recruitment will not benefit Kansas because 1. we already have underperforming players in the same positions that Ojeleye--an underperforming player himself--plays, 2. we have holes elsewhere (at point and at center), and 3. awarding a scholarship to Ojeleye hurts the prospects of filling those holes. Furthermore, my previous points directly addresses the arguments you laid out as grounds for considering Ojeleye (i.e., doing "due diligence") and as such I am not off topic. If recruiting impact players is really your concern as is evident in your last comment, then the matter of whether or not we should settle for Semi is closed. We should not.

Walter Bridges 6 years, 11 months ago

Good ole Joe..Bring in the OADs and stop wasting time on players who need a year or two to develop..

At Kansas we need to be cognizant of the way that the best teams are competing, and then we need to break the mold of the old way ("build them up in 2 or 3 years and then threaten for a title"). 'Ojeleye, as good as he could become, will not be on par with the Jahlil Okafors, Tyus Joneses, etc...'

What a bunch of crap. Anybody see UConn beat UK in last years title game?

Joe Ross 6 years, 11 months ago

First of all, I wish there were no such thing as OADs. But as long as there is you need to wake up and smell the coffee. Most OADs are better than 4-year players in their first year. You can fight the tide but reality is going to be reality regardless of how you choose to look at it. RE: Anybody see Uconn beat UK in last years title game is a poor defense of your position. Why? BECAUSE UK MADE IT TO THE FINAL GAME! And sure, they wont always win; but Calipari is making it to the title game more than anyone else. And guess what. Sometimes they WILL win it all. "Anybody see UK beat KU in 2012's title game?" You have to change with the times, Walter, even if you do it kicking and screaming. Incidentally, Coach Self spends a whole lot of time recruiting OADs...

JD Roth 6 years, 11 months ago

Semi can play if given the opportunity. You nay sayers are just ignorant if you believe he is unskilled. He can shoot the rock as he eclipsed the Kansas state record for points.

Erich Hartmann 6 years, 11 months ago

And Duke shoots 3s as an integral part of their attack...so why did Ojeleye be so non-productive at Duke? Could it be grades? I would think he'd be a decent student to get accepted into Duke University in the first place, so I doubt its grades. Could he be homesick? Well, then his short list should be midwestern teams such as Nebr, KU, KSU, WSU, Mizzou...but who knows!

Mine is just idle speculation...

Jason Musick 6 years, 11 months ago

I would like to see him transfer to Wichita State and play with Conner Frankamp. It would be nice to see 2 Kansas kids play locally. ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK.