Friday, January 11, 2013

A Devil, you say: Ottawa standout Semi Ojeleye says Duke best fit

Ottawa High School senior Semi Ojeleye has the possibility to break the Kansas high school state record for scoring in a career. The small forward has committed to play basketball for Duke University.

photo

— When he walks into a gymnasium, heads turn, eyes inevitably gravitating in his direction.

Quiet by nature and serious in his demeanor, it is nothing more than Semi Ojeleye’s physical presence that draws the gazes of onlookers when Ottawa High’s boys basketball team takes the court.

At 6-foot-7, 225 pounds, the mammoth senior forward is Thor with a hi-top fade. A teenage superhero in Nike Hyperdunks. And that’s before he even gets his colossal mitts on a basketball. When he does, good luck stopping him.

Ranked the class of 2013’s No. 33 recruit in the nation by Rivals.com, the Duke University signee has helped the Cyclones (9-0) destroy most of their competition this season, averaging 40.6 points and 7.3 rebounds in the process. Accustomed to elevating and shooting over defenders on the perimeter (43-for-97 from three-point range this year) and going into beast mode to overpower them in the paint (77-for-126 inside the arc), Ojeleye scored a career-high 58 points in December against Wray, Colo. His career scoring total at OHS stands at 2,176 points, and he’s on pace to break the Sunflower State’s record — 2,554, set by Brewster’s Josh Reid, class of 1996.

Ojeleye’s talent and the exposure that comes with signing to play at Duke have drawn national attention to Ottawa’s living legend. Staff from USA Today and Sports Illustrated, not to mention Blue Devils coach Mike Krzyzewski, have flown halfway across the country to attend Cyclones practices this season. Amid all of this, somehow, the hoopla hasn’t gone to Ojeleye’s head.

“It’s humbling,” the soft-spoken superstar said. “I just want to help my teammates out and have a good year.”

Modest monster

Actually, humble is the word people around Ojeleye use most to describe him. Senior classmate Dallas Natt, Ottawa’s starting point guard, remembers when Ojeleye first began receiving letters of interest from the top basketball programs in the nation.

“He’d try to hide ’em,” Natt said. “He’s not the kind of guy who would be like, ‘Oh, look what I got!’ He’s the quiet guy, and that’s why we like him so much. He doesn’t showboat.”

The state’s best player doesn’t gloat on the court, either. Natt said Ojeleye simply plays the game. And dominates.

“Whenever he gets the ball on the block, it’s a hassle,” Natt said, adding that Ojeleye has an un-blockable three-point shot, too. “He’s too explosive, too fast. He has the guard talent, but the post body. It’s just insane.”

Ojeleye’s modest disposition impacts everything he does, according to Ottawa coach Jon McKowen. Sure, he has the skill set and physical ability to attract interest from national college powers such as Duke, Arizona, Indiana, Kansas, UCLA and others. McKowen sees much more in his elite senior.

“You top it all off with his work ethic,” the OHS coach said. “It’s unmatched. He works like he has absolutely no skill at all.”

One can usually find Ojeleye getting in an hour of aerobic work before school. He lifts weights after school at least three days a week. When Ottawa practice ends, he’ll goof around with other stragglers in the gym, then end his day with another full-blown, drenched-in-sweat individual basketball workout.

“It’s every day with him,” McKowen said of Ojeleye’s dedication. “You can see it when he plays and when he practices.”

It all has been a means to an end for Ojeleye. He said those long hours secured him a spot at Duke, currently undefeated and ranked No. 1 in the nation.

“That’s what you work for,” he said.

A Blue Devil in Kansas

Of course, as a Kansas resident, when Ojeleye gets approached by people who want to discuss his college choice, it’s rarely to ask him about playing with fellow incoming Duke freshman Jabari Parker, of Chicago, Rivals’ No. 2 recruit in the country. It’s more like: Why didn’t you pick Kansas or Kansas State?

“You have to live with your own decision at the end of the day,” Ojeleye said, adding he did what was best for him.

His older brother, Victor, walked on at K-State, and KU is the national powerhouse over which basketball fans in this part of the country fawn and fret. The state’s two Big 12 programs were on Ojeleye’s radar before last summer, when he pared down his list to Duke, Indiana, Stanford and UCLA.

Former KU assistant coach Danny Manning had been Ojeleye’s contact at KU. When Manning left to become Tulsa’s head coach this past spring, Ojeleye said his communication with Kansas tapered off. He said KU showed renewed interest in him later, in the summer, and wanted him to take an unofficial visit to Lawrence. But by then he already had an idea of the programs best suited for him, and Ojeleye let Kansas know it wasn’t on the short list.

Eventually, Krzyzewski and Duke beat out the rest of his suitors.

“I was thinking, ‘What team’s the best, and what coaching staff has my best interest in mind?’” Ojeleye said. “And I thought Coach K and his coaching staff really meshed with me. That’s what it came down to.”

It certainly didn’t hurt that Krzyzewski came to Ottawa for an in-home visit in September, to meet with the Ojeleye family.

“That sent me a message that I was important to them,” said Ojeleye, who committed to Duke during that meeting. “From there, just whenever we talked, we talked about me off the court as well as on the court.”

McKowen considers Duke the perfect fit for Ojeleye, a 4.0 student who wants a great college education.

“Duke might have been the only place he could’ve chose to go that nobody could complain about,” McKowen said. “If he would’ve went to KU or K-State, he would’ve made half the people mad and half the people happy.”

Returning to ‘game 26’

The four seasons Ojeleye has worn Ottawa red and white have been bliss for Cyclones fans. OHS has gone 77-10 since his arrival and advanced to the Class 4A state title game three straight years. Ottawa lost to Kansas City, Kan., Sumner Academy in 2010 (66-45) and 2011 (66-60) before Ojeleye’s junior season ended in 2012 with a 56-52 loss to Basehor-Linwood.

The program’s only state championship came in 1971, as a 3A school. On slow practice days, McKowen might dangle a 2013 title in front of the players as motivation. They need to prepare with speed and tempo then “for game 26,” he’ll remind them. But, in general, the top-ranked 4A team doesn’t have to talk about its chase for a title. As McKowen pointed out, Ojeleye isn’t the only OHS senior. Natt, Austin Blaue, Dillon Boeh, Taylor Graf, Alex Hasty, Jordan Markley, Wyatt Peters and Kaden Shaffer are experienced, too.

“All of them have been through it,” their coach said of the previous three seasons. “If they weren’t on the (varsity) team, they were in the program, so they’ve been through the emotional roller coaster, and every one of them was on the team last year.”

The group’s collective mettle even surprises McKowen at times. He wasn’t at all satisfied with how the Cyclones, who hadn’t played a game in more than two weeks, practiced the day before their January opener. But Ottawa beat Paola, 77-30, the following night behind Ojeleye’s 56 points.

So far this season, Ottawa has averaged 71.7 points a game, winning by an average margin of 32.1.

“I have to be everywhere,” he said of his approach. “That’s inside, outside. As the game starts to flow, if the guys are going, I just need to step up defensively. If they’re not, then I need to carry the scoring load that much more. I just kind of have to read the game and react to it.”

The Cyclones, who play host to Eudora tonight and will travel next week to the Basehor-Linwood Invitational, will spend January and February building toward a fourth straight state-tournament berth. If along the way Ojeleye seems detached or businesslike after throwing down an alley-oop as easily as most people tie their shoes, don’t think for a second he isn’t reveling in his team’s success.

“We want to enjoy the moment,” he said, “have some fun, and whatever happens, happens.”

Comments

Phil Leister 1 year, 6 months ago

Man I'm glad I got to start my day off reading about Duke.

JHawk06 1 year, 6 months ago

.. Wow, that was a lot of information about someone who isn't going to KU. So you are telling me he never took a visit to Lawrence and made a decision?

Jesse Newell 1 year, 6 months ago

This was originally only posted on LJWorld.com, and after reading it, I felt it had enough relevance to KU to post on KUsports.com as well.

I figured most people reading the headline would understand what they were getting into as well.

Michael Auchard 1 year, 6 months ago

The problem is, a ton of people really dislike Duke. You're not just posting about some other program here...

jhawkrulz 1 year, 6 months ago

Based on several of the LJW headlines, you never know what you will get.

There are a lot of headlines that don't align with the story.

kevz87 1 year, 6 months ago

KU didn't even go after this kid. i've seen him play a couple times. he wouldn't come in here and play over anyone. he's good not great, but we don't need him here at KS. Wayne Seldon will be better and if we get Aaron Gordon that's just icing on the cake. We won't be mad at not getting him.

jhox 1 year, 6 months ago

kevz87, with all due respect, if you thought he wouldn't get playing time at KU, you need to have your eyes checked. I finally got to see him in person earlier this season, and Bill Self would have turned him into a monster. He's got a great 3 point shot (but in my opinion relies on it a bit too much) and he's got a big banging body that can go inside.

One knock I've heard is on his ball handling. He's not a point guard, but has a handle perfectly adequate to play the 3 in college. The KU fan reaction to Semi reminds me of the reaction to Willie Cauley last year. They assume because KU didn't go after him hard, he must not be any good. I thought that about Cauley too, until I finally went and saw him play in person. I knew then that we had made a big mistake...he will play in the NBA. Semi likely will as well.

I've heard Coach Self initially wasn't sure if he could play the 3 or if he would be an undersized 4. By the time he realized the kid was a natural 3, it was too late to make a serious run at him. I also wonder if, growing up in a KSU family, Semi really would have seriously considered KU anyway? Finally, I believe his Dad is a physician, and the family is all about education. I'm sure Duke's academic reputation played a big role in his chosing them.

Look for him to be a contributor at Duke next season. I don't see him as a guy who will take 2 or 3 years to become a competitive college player. He may not start, but he'll contribute early on.

Waylon Cook 1 year, 6 months ago

jhawkrulz 1 year, 6 months ago

jhawkrulz 1 year, 6 months ago

I'm not sure why I was removed. Saying that a reporter should spend more time on KU sports rather than a team that is a lesser basketball program shouldn't be removed.

B0B 1 year, 6 months ago

We already had Brannen Greene committed at his position. Obviously we'd take him if he wanted to come, but a big is a bigger priority in this class. He was smart enough to realize that.

jhox 1 year, 6 months ago

I see him as more of a Selby type player than a Greene type player, and I do believe Selby is the better prospect, so it's not like we'll be devastated without Semi. Still, we should have gone after him hard, and early on, instead of waiting. When a guy like that grows up 15 miles from your campus, you shouldn't let him get away.

Waylon Cook 1 year, 6 months ago

Can someone tell me why my comment was removed????????????

It wasn't bad!

Like I said having lived in North Carolina. He being from Kansas he is already one of the smartest people in the state. And he hasn't even arrived!

Btw according to Rivals KU didn't even offer.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 6 months ago

They didn't go for Willie Cauley-Stein either (heck, K-State went after him a LOT more than we did), and honestly he could've helped when Young or Withey needed a breather.

ku1otaku 1 year, 6 months ago

Clearly you don't understand high school recruiting. Cauley-Stein wasn't coming to KU. I believe he played for MoKan and they push towards the Nike schools.

jhox 1 year, 6 months ago

I've heard from someone in a position to be "in the know" that Cauley was upset that KU took too long to decide to recruit him (but I've also heard he was more of a KSU fan so it may not have mattered.) He felt he was disrespected by KU, with them waiting so long to come after him.

That wouldn't be the first time that approach has cost us. We don't need to offer local stars early, but we should be contacting them frequently, letting them know they're on our radar and we have an interest (assuming we do.) Kid's don't appreciate feeling like they were the fall back guy, especially when they have other high major options.

Clarence Haynes 1 year, 6 months ago

We all have to make those type of decisions. I wish him the best.

Joe Joseph 1 year, 6 months ago

So, lets split the difference and make no one happy and everyone disappointed?

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 6 months ago

not to mention Andrew White III also being a SF & Selden's kind of a SG/SF hybrid.

Joe Joseph 1 year, 6 months ago

I get that everyone has their own reasons; I respect that. I just can't imagine Bill Self wouldn't have made room for a blue-chip recruit from Ottawa, Kansas? Or at least made it a priority to go after this kid?

Guess what it comes down to is I am guilty of viewing recruiting through the crimson-and-blue-colored blinders. I just can't conceive how a top-rated recruit from Kansas would not end up at Kansas. And then to go to DUKE?! BARF!

Robert Brock 1 year, 6 months ago

I watched the kid play some AAU ball and I didn't think that he was anything special. Mature body; undefined skills. Reminded me of Nino Samuel.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 6 months ago

Here's a good question. OTHER THAN Danny Manning, who's the best high school player to come out of Kansas over the last say 25 - 30 years? Would you say Wayne Simien, maybe? Hopefully, Perry Ellis 2 years from now?

I don't know about other programs but for KU, themselves, the best I can remember since Manning would probably be: 1) Simien, 2) Woodberry, 3)???? - Tyrel Reid, maybe?

Others I can remember = C.B. McGrath, Greg Gurley, B.J. Williams, and Brady Morningstar...that were good enough to get some major enough minutes. Were Patrick Richey or Mark Turgeon from KS?

Heck, we've done better out of K.C., MO w/ Br. Rush, Travis Releford, Jeff Graves & Jeff Hawkins all coming from there.

dylans 1 year, 6 months ago

Hands down Jackie Stiles. No sarcasm. That woman was awesome. Easily the best basketball player out of Kansas during that time frame. Too bad women's knees aren't built to handle the rigors of basketball. Jackie didn't have as fruitful of a pro career as she could have.

dylans 1 year, 6 months ago

Perry Ellis, Wayne Simien, Shalee Lehning; all great, but not Jackie Stiles great.

dylans 1 year, 6 months ago

I hope Frankamp tops the list by next year though.

ku1otaku 1 year, 6 months ago

Definitely. She was a beast. I am hoping that Connor ends up having a better college career though. That would mean a national title for KU.

holidaysmore 1 year, 6 months ago

Laurie Koehn from Moundridge was also damn good. Maybe not the best player coming out of KS but I think she was better that Stiles.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 6 months ago

Tell me what really good player at Robinson wouldn't have dominated Jackie Stiles? Sorry. I played against "womens" college players back in the day. Not even in the same discussion. Not even close.

dylans 1 year, 6 months ago

None of them. You never saw her play if you have to ask.

dylans 1 year, 6 months ago

Women's players of the last 20 years are a lot different than in your day. Britney Griner says hello.

samdubya 1 year, 6 months ago

Don't give KCMO so much credit. I have no idea why Releford is introduced as being from there. He and his brother went to Miege and his brother, at Alabama, is intorduced as being from Roeland Park, KS. Also, Hawkins was either a Sumner or Washington kid from KCK.

Some notable exclusions on your list: Antoine Carr, Korleone Young, Adrian Griffin, Maurice Evans, Earl Watson, and Matt Frieji (sp).

Lastly, to answer your question, Turgeon is from KS, but Richey is not. However, he does live here now. I used to workout at the same gym as him.

DCLawHawk 1 year, 6 months ago

I seem to recall that Releford lived in KCMO even though he went to Miege. That may explain it. Also, Hawkins went to Sumner Academy.

Bill Skeet 1 year, 6 months ago

Sadly, I think too many here have forgotten of her greatness.

dylans 1 year, 6 months ago

She graduated HS in 1978. More than 30 years ago.

jhox 1 year, 6 months ago

Willie Cauley is rated on just about every draft board. I've seen him as high as number 2. Not bad for a guy we didn't go after hard.

Michael Johnson 1 year, 6 months ago

Patrick Richey was from Lee's Summit.

jaycard 1 year, 6 months ago

Nino Samuel, wow, what a blast from the past. I grew up in Salina idolizing the future KU signee. What a physique..wide shoulders, bulging biceps, and arms longer than most 7 footers. I remember him dropping 44 on Emporia and the Terry twins in 1970. He lived with a local doctor, and we would play him 5 on 1 in the driveway and always lose.(we were 13). And above all, he was humble, gracious and always nice to us kids. He was 6' 4'', and lacked the requisite ball handling skills for the big time, as he always played down low in high school with his crazy jumping ability. He later transferred to NAIA Marymount and was a home town hero for a good Spartan team. Nino is now a successful businessman on the Wesrt Coast. Ah...the memories.

PistolPete 1 year, 6 months ago

Local md was Doc Roderick, KU bball team 1943, played 1 season for Dr. Allen. Nino lives in Atlanta, GA area and does run a successful business there. Nino scored +50 vs. Garden City in McPherson Tourney back in '72. Avg 31 ppg sr. yr at Salina Central. Great player and individual

Gary Denning 1 year, 6 months ago

I still have bruises from practicing against Nino in HS. Was a man playing against boys in HS, not so much in college.

PSM 1 year, 6 months ago

In regards to Duke's 2013 recruiting class, their fans are getting a Semi.

wildjayhawk 1 year, 6 months ago

Self missed a good one there and it's going to hurt down the line.

milehighhawk 1 year, 6 months ago

We're already loaded at the position - I'm not really losing sleep over it.

Machawk 1 year, 6 months ago

Jaycard,

To this day, I still lean towards Nino as the most dominant high school player I've observed playing in Kansas. He was not the most skilled, for sure, but did he ever dominate the ball game just with his jumping ability and strength.

Semi Ojeleye reminds me of Nino in the domination area although he roams all over the court unlike Nino and is much more skilled in ball handling and outside shooting. I am a little disappointed that Coach Self didn't go after him more just because I like to see Kansas talent stay in state. We don't have that many highly ranked players to choose from so I feel like we should get them whenever possible. Like others have pointed out, we are well stocked at that position and Bill knows best.

I know the Ojeleye family and they are the nicest, classiest family you will ever meet. Their kids are smart, humble, respectful, and studious just like their parents. Semi would have been a perfect fit for KU just on his character alone, but I do think for him Duke is a great fit. It will be interesting to see how he develops in a good system and how soon he may have to make a decision in his career. If he chose to get his education over the lure of money, it would not surprise me. So KU fans, don't be too hard on anyone on this outcome, instead let's just lick our chops for the great class coming in next year!

coloradojayhawk 1 year, 6 months ago

Don't we play Duke next year? I wonder if Frankamp, Ellis and Ojeleye will be on the court together.

KEITHMILES05 1 year, 6 months ago

As has been stated above Self got the best fits for the program. No program can get everybody regardless of what state they live in.

Steve Reigle 1 year, 6 months ago

Sounds like the kind of young man we like to have at KU. I wish him the best at Duke but sure wish he'd chosen Kansas. Duke's gain, our loss.

75Jayhawk 1 year, 6 months ago

Darnell Valentine from Wichita was the best all around player from Kansas to play at KU. Lucious Allen from Wyandotte High School played for John Wooden at UCLA in the 1960's and might be the best player ever from Kansas. Ralph Miller from Chanute might be the best all around athlete from Kansas.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 6 months ago

When I posed the question, I had said from the last 25-30 years.

Phog4FUNner 1 year, 6 months ago

You just may be correct! Ralph Miller achieved something that I've never heard of in team sports before or since. He was on the Track & Field team for Chanute High that won the State Championship....oh yeah, Ralph was the ONLY member of the team. A close second might be that kids from western Kansas with the bowl-cut who played for Bud Moore in the wish bone offense who still holds the NCAA single game rushing record for a QB.... That's right, Roll'n Nolan Cromwell from Ransom, KS who went on to star as a Safety for the Rams. But there's more, he was also an alternate for the '76 US Olympic 4x400 high hurdles as well. Cheers!

TaCityHawkFan 1 year, 6 months ago

Where do you get good reliable statistics about High School Basketball? It is hard to find. I had been wondering if Frankamp was going to break the State Scoring record, or the 5A/6A class record, I know he is on pace to break the city league scoring record (probably more impressive than state scoring record from all classes) but not even sure where he is at on that.

Jesse or any other posters? Any help on finding the stats?

Thanks!

rcjgku94 1 year, 6 months ago

I've seen him play the past three seasons against where I went to High School and figured I'd give my 2 cents. I think he has really matured from the last two seasons to this one. Before, he relied A LOT on his deep jumper, and it obviously worked for him because he was so much bigger than anyone guarding him, nobody could contest. But this year he attacks the paint much more. The kid is chiseled. He has the body for big time D1 ball strength wise (I'm not sure about the quickness, haven't seen enough there). And all my buddies that played against him said he was a cool dude that has it between the ears. Defense and rebounding aren't there but can you blame a kid like that? I don't. I'm sure that will come around when he has to do it. Definitely don't think he is even close to being a OAD.

And for the record I like seeing stuff like this on here! The kid is from the area and it's clear in the title that it isn't KU related so just don't click on it if you don't want to.

BucknellJayhawk3 1 year, 6 months ago

Starting lineup for next year?

1 Tharpe 2 Connor Frankamp? 3- Andrew White? 4/5- Traylor 4/5- Perry

So we'll probably have 1 freshman start next year? Unless Rio gets the start of Frankamp?

Jack Wilson 1 year, 6 months ago

My guess is Selden is a more likely starter than Frankamp.

Gary Denning 1 year, 6 months ago

Don't count Greene (Green?) out.

BucknellJayhawk3 1 year, 6 months ago

Just a guess, but I bet we'll see some playing time from Embiid. Self's teams of the past couple of years have always had a beast down low. Can we count out a 7 footer?

texashawk10 1 year, 6 months ago

Self won't start two players as small as Tharpe and Frankamp and we may not see them on the floor very much together either. Those two together seem like it would create a major defensive liability for KU and KU's low post defense for next year doesn't project to be great right now. Embiid will likely play some, but not major minutes and if Lucas isn't a factor on defense, it'll cause a lot of problems that Self won't have an answer for.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 6 months ago

Right .. enter Julius Randle.

Robert Brown 1 year, 6 months ago

I thought this was a good story and have no problem that it is posted. I guess I am not surprised by all of the negative remarks. KU will be young next year and there will be a lot of competitiion for playing time. Given the unknown nature of the returnees next year- only Ellis, Tharpe and Traylor will get sigificant playing time this year, it will be nice to have a large selection of talented players to choose from. I can assure you that some several players currently in the Rivals Top 50 will not live up to their potential.

jhawkrulz 1 year, 6 months ago

The complaint isn't whether it was a good article. The complaint is why aren't they writing this good of articles about recruits that either have a desire to come to KU or are coming to KU.

texashawk10 1 year, 6 months ago

This article was written by the high school sports guy and since Ottawa is 20 minutes down the road, it's easy to cover the best basketball player in the area.

jhawkrulz 1 year, 6 months ago

This article isn't about a local guy. This is an article about how a local guy chose Duke not KU. Even the headline suggests that Duke is the better fit for this guy. In fact, KU wasn't an option for the kid.

Robert Brown 1 year, 6 months ago

I don't understand your problem. Very rarely does Kansas produce a player this highly regarded. The article said he was recruited by Danny Manning so there is a KU tie. I think a lot of people are curious why someone who grew up 20 miles from Lawrence would choose to go to Duke. The #1 team in the country clearly thinks highly of him.

Jayhacker 1 year, 6 months ago

I've seen Semi play at least 2-3 games per year since he was in the 5th grade, including last night's 40 point outing against Eudora (BTW, he was selected by the student body to be "Winter Homecoming King"). I have no knock on him personally; he's a really well-rounded kid from a solid family. He has tremendous offensive skills, a lot of room to grow on the defensive side, and seems to have a good "life plan." Would I like to have seen him play for KU? You bet, but I have a lot more trust in Bill Self's assessment of "fit" than do some others here.

My knock on Semi has nothing to do with him personally, but more with his coach, Jon McKeown, and his use of Semi at the high school level. It became apparent early on in Semi's playing career that he saw himself as a 3 or even a 2 at the college level. In large part, this is because of the AAU "game", which emphasizes individual performance far above team play. IMHO, McKeown bought into this at the expense of the development of the rest of his players, and even the success of the OHS team in the last 3 championship games. Ottawa has a really good team besides Semi, but allowing him to roam the perimeter on bothe offense and defense, instead of using him at the 4 or 5 spot where his size could allow more balanced scoring has held back the play of the other kids.

In part because of this "scheme", Ottawa has 9 seniors, NO juniors, and only 2 sophomores on its varsity roster. I've heard that the low representation from the lower classes is a result in how McKeown has allowed Semi to be his sole focus for the past 3 years. Regardless, I'll be watching with interest to see how OHS does the next few years, and to see if Jon can have any success without a "stud".

Michael Pannacciulli 1 year, 6 months ago

Yuk. As if I needed more reasons to hate on Dook.

JhawkalumJB 1 year, 6 months ago

I don't blame any kid for going to Duke or Stanford over KU, especially Stanford. He is a 4.0 student and both Duke and Stanford are superior to KU academically. Superior academics AND quality athletics. This kid has a good head on his shoulders, and is hopefully thinking of life beyond b-ball selecting Duke over KU.

As a KU alum and fan I don't blame him at all for going to Duke. Sounds like they did a better job recruiting him anyways. It's only relevant to us because he' s from Kansas. We'll be fine.