Wednesday, April 2, 2014

KU recruit Myles Turner keeping options open

Kansas University basketball recruit Myles Turner and other top high school basketball players will play tonight in the McDonald's All-American Game at the United Center in Chicago.

— Myles Turner has heard the talk that his college choices are down to Kansas University or Texas.

It did not originate from Myles Turner, nor, the highly ranked basketball recruit said, any representatives of Myles Turner.

“There are three people in my circle and I keep it real tight,” Turner said, referring to himself and his parents. “Alternative sources, you never know what they might want out of it or who they know or what their ulterior motives are. Keeping a tight circle is very key in this whole process.”

Tuesday was Media Day leading up to tonight’s McDonald’s High School All-American Games, and it came as no surprise the cameras and notebooks flocked to the only uncommitted player in the group.

If the 6-foot-11 shot blocker with three-point shooting range handles college basketball as well as he did the attention, whoever lands Turner may not have him for long.

The Euless, Texas native answered every question eloquently and still managed to say very little.

His recent visits to Kansas and Texas have fueled speculation that it’s a two-horse race, but the No. 6-ranked prospect nationally by Rivals.com and Scout.com’s No. 2 prospect insisted that isn’t so.

“It is definitely a lot more open than that,” said Turner, who also visited Duke and Oklahoma State this winter and Ohio State in the fall. “People assume it’s Kansas and Texas because it’s close to home, it’s Big 12. I’m definitely looking at all my options. I don’t even know where I’m going.”

KU coach Bill Self’s incoming recruits, Chicago power forward Cliff Alexander and Findlay Prep (Nev.) wing Kelly Oubre, are both McDonald’s All-Americans, but there will be room for Turner — particularly if Joel Embiid joins Andrew Wiggins in the NBA Draft.

Turner did not discount the notion that Embiid’s looming decision could impact his own.

“I feel that it is important to see who you’re playing with and who you’ll be playing around,” Turner said. “I don’t necessarily think anywhere can be too stacked, but at the same time it’s good to know or have a good idea of who’s coming in and who’s going out.”

Turner will play with Alexander and against Oubre tonight.

Self’s two recruits have taken opposite approaches to playing recruiter this week, with Oubre “leaving it in God’s hands,” and Alexander giving the hard sell.

He’s not the only one.

“Every now and then (Ohio State recruit) D’Angelo Russell will talk about Ohio State, a couple guys from Duke will talk about it, Cliff and Kelly will talk about Kansas from time to time,” Turner said. “They’ll do little stupid things like, ‘If I make this shot, you have to commit to Ohio State.’ Stuff like that.”

Turner and a majority of the 24 McDonald’s All-Americans will also participate in the Jordan Brand Classic on April 18.

He said he will make his decision sometime after that.

“I’m going to let it come when it comes,” he said. “After the all-star games I’m going to sit down with my family and get it worked out.”

This, that: KU signee Alexander, who hurt his right wrist in the dunk contest on Monday night, skipped Media Day and missed Tuesday’s practice to go to the hospital to get his wrist X-rayed. McDonald’s officials reported the injury appeared to be a bruise. Alexander tweeted on Tuesday that he would be able to play in tonight’s game. He’s going to wear a brace on his wrist ... Tip for tonight’s game is 8:30 p.m. at United Center. It will be shown on ESPN. ... KU’s Joel Embiid fooled around on Twitter on April Fools’ Day. First he tweeted: “I think I’m going back to Africa for the rest of my life in 2 days so I’ll miss y’all.” Later he tweeted: “Time to make my decision and I decided to vxsfhjllggiifdsasewwfvookvgfff #sorry.”

Comments

Suzi Marshall 5 months ago

Wow, we all have to love the love shown to Danny! Two years in coaching and already making his mark. We’re so proud of you and as LB said. Ed would be (is) very proud of you.

Love Alexander's personality, which shows up in his recruiting of Turner...direct, hard hitting, to the point. Oubre leaves it in God's hands but Big Cliff Alexander the Great yields Gideon (means Mighty Warrior or Destroyer) sword to enforce God’s will. Alexander and Oubre are like Thunder and Lightning coming to Lawrence. Add Turner to the equation, should Embiid leave, and we have some Rain. Severe storm warning for the rest of the Big 12.

BYU’s Matt Carlino plans to transfer and will be immediately eligible (www.sltrib.com/sltrib/cougars/5776061...). He earned WCC third team All-Conference shooting about 38.5. I’m not sure he’s strong enough to displace Mason/Frankamp but trust Self is looking into this option. Hopefully he won’t need to take a physical from any GEHS nurses.

John Randall 5 months ago

I'm more interested in seeing Big Cliff wield some of that talent than having him yield anything to anyone!

Suzi Marshall 5 months ago

He has been disrobed revealing and insufficient compendium of skills for the job.

Greg Lux 5 months ago

Nadiir may have done HCBS a huge favor.

Jesse Johnson 5 months ago

FYI on Matt Carlino: 2014 season averages of 13.7 ppg, 3.4 RPG, 4.7 APG, 1.7 SPG, 38.5% FG, 33.9 3FG%. He started as a freshman (half-year, after he transferred from UCLA) and sophomore for BYU. Midway through his junior year he moved to 6th man but his minutes per game didn't really drop. Could be a solid prospect for KU.

Erich Hartmann 5 months ago

First: He cant seem to fit-in anywhere? So he has some issue...

Second: Why would KU "need" a OAD PG? (Gone in a year). Why not continue to grow Mason's abilities +/- Frankamp?

Third: When would he fit in? Sit out another year after transferring?

Counterproposal: Self go recruit 6'1-6'4 combo guards x 2 and let them come up behind Mason, Frankamp. Keep teaching and Hudy-izing the talent, which keeps getting better--> that's the Self-way.

Aaron Paisley 5 months ago

Who's out there this year that fits your description? Nobody. There are only 3 players left in the Rivals 150 that are uncommitted and they are all post players. This kid won't impact 2015 recruiting in any way and even if his on court impact isn't huge, he can be a mentor for Mason and Frankamp in a way that Black was a mentor for Embiid this season.

I'm assuming the Ben Howland mess is why he left UCLA, and I'm going to guess that the kid is Mormon since he transferred to BYU and 90%+ of their athletes are Mormon and there happens to be a fairly large Mormon community in the KC area so that could appeal to him. It is absolutely worth it to give this kid a look if the coaching staff thinks he can help KU on the court or at least help mentor Mason and Frankamp.

Jesse Johnson 5 months ago

Yes, Aaron, he left UCLA to escape Holwand Hell. Nobody can fault him for that. As far as why he wants to transfer now, the answer is why not? When there is no penalty that keeps you from playing right away why not go try something new somewhere else where he can get a different experience/coaching.

I don't know what he could contribute but it could be something like what Black contributed this year in terms of leadership and ship steadying.

He is an interesting prospect is all I'm saying. Not a gamechanger or program savior or anything.

Walter Bridges 5 months ago

Erich, that WAS the SELFway. Not so much as recruiting combo guards but in developing talent. Watching as successive groups of players went from freshman with very short leashes to developed NBA level talent by their third or fourth year.

Last season and next season are not the typical teams that HCBS has had during his stay here previously.

Suzi Marshall 5 months ago

As I stated, on the surface it sounds like he would not be strong enough to displace Mason/Frankamp. Self has a masterful eye for talent and the ability to use it to the max. I'm sure he and the staff are looking at his tapes. Wondering why the LJW has said noting on this?

Check out Andy Katz's comments: http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=10714733

Jeff Kilgore 5 months ago

Does Self's "masterful eye for talent" include Tharpe, whom you have railed against?

Rodney Crain 5 months ago

Jeff my reply to your question --- You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. Tharpe seems to be very good at not listening.

Walter Bridges 5 months ago

I would prefer warmer temperatures since the reservoir system is currently above level but you can expect the levels of hype to remain at basically unsustainable levels for at least another year.

Jonathan Allison 5 months ago

Speaking of Larry Brown, SMU will play Thursday night for the NIT championship against Minnesota (younger Pitino's team) in Madison Square Garden.

They have responded very well after the NCAA snub. Go out there and prove the committee wrong on Thursday!

Dirk Medema 5 months ago

After LB wins the National (it) Championship, and Jo decides to stay and get his driver's license, Turner commits to SMU.

Robert Brock 5 months ago

Jerry Meyer just switched his prediction from Kansas to Texas. Turner has no choice but to go there.

Luca Rossi 5 months ago

Yeah but that would mean playing ball for Rick Barnes. This kid just seems like so much smarter than to make that kind of a decision. I mean, they had Durant and they still only came in 3rd in the league. C'mon man!

If you're only going to play one or two years in college, might as well go where you have the best chance at a ring.

Walter Bridges 5 months ago

Well as long as Jerry Myer said so...

I don't get the "no choice but to go there.". Anything to back that up? Seems to me that this kid has as many choices as he wants.

Jonathan Allison 5 months ago

you're sarcasm detector isn't working.

Tony Bandle 5 months ago

If he was truly interested in Texas, Ohio State, Duke or Oklahoma State, why is he waiting to commit. The answer is elementary, my Dear Watson...Jo Jo is the key.

1] Jo Jo leaves, he almost automatically has major guaranteed PT at KU.

2] Bill's offense runs through the "Big Guys".

3] Ability to join an elite team almost intact plus joining with two other Micky D's, neither who play his position.

4] Kansas national exposure is a given with numerous Big Mondays, preseason tourneys. etc.

5] Duke, Texas and Ohio State are stacked in the center spot...and look who coaches Okalhoma State.

6] No teenager likes to be predictable so the more suitors, the merrier.

7] Cliff, Jamari, Hunter and Landon will be there to do the heavy lifting, thus giving Myles a chance to pop out and hit his three pointer once in a while.

8] Had a fantastic time during his in-house visit especially with Allen Fieldhouase and KU Nation.

9] Andrew's OAD positive feedback response certainly can't hurt.

Joe Baker 5 months ago

2] with a great pg, say a Smart, Wilbekin, or Napier caliber pg... A pg has a dream support. A fair pg can feast all day long and thrive in Self's system. A good pg has a number of options with Self's system. A great pg could really make this team work and become a great floor general. An outstanding pg could be the centerpiece for this team to make the system work. Self is the architect and brains. A pg would be the ONE to make Self's masterpiece come to life. It's there for the taking. A pt guard just has to take it and make this team their own. There seems to be a junior pg that doesn't realize what opportunity he's been given.

Walter Bridges 5 months ago

I agree Joe BUT there just isn't any PG available for next year's team other than those we already have. With that being said, run the offense through the big guys and use the PG who makes the least bad decisions.

Joe Baker 5 months ago

That is my point...so, we go with what we have and hope for the best. I like CF's upside and shooting. But, I think Mason has the ability that I described. He may not be quite the caliber, but I do like his aggressive play and tenacity. I think he needs to be vocal and lead. This team is ripe and ready for the pg to lead. I think Mason is our pg that is needed right now. CF will have to backup the 2 and the 1 on occasion.

Robert Brock 5 months ago

If he chooses Texas, he takes minutes from Prince Ibeh. Ibeh is a decent defender but is an incredibly poor shooter - especially from the FT stripe.

Rodney Crain 5 months ago

Myles will make his decision sometime after April 18th, the last period when players declare for the NBA draft... Hmmm trying not to connect the dots but if you did it sounds like he is waiting for Joel's decision.

We need a PG transfer and next year could be very very special.

Benz Junque 5 months ago

I agree. Him waiting basically ensures that if Embiid leaves that Turner is coming to Kansas. KU is really at a win-win at this point. I would obviously much rather have another year of Embiid but if we cannot have that then Turner looks like a great player to step right in. No bad options at this point.

Erich Hartmann 5 months ago

No PG transfer. Start at square 1 in learning Self's system? Nope. I'd give Mason the nod. Seriously, he is a 190lb dynamo, being groomed by Self, improving 3gun. MOST of the time, players get better year-to-year under Self. Dont let Tharpe's fail cause us to throw out an incredibly winning system. Just say occasionally "a certain kid may not work out". But dont scrap the system. We need the pipeline development to continue.

And, for most teams, OADs are a crapshoot. Either they work out, or they dont. Even for KY. NChamps one year, worst NIT team the next year, no chemistry. And now, KY back to playing A-rated (only the last 4 games!). Total crapshoot. And ALL 3 highly touted frosh who played for KU this season were no-show for various reasons (Stanford gameplanned Wiggy, Selden deferred as well as missed shots, and Embiid injured).

Accept our system: our guys need developmental time (>1yr) to play our system well enough to be a consistently dominating team.

Rodney Crain 5 months ago

So if someone like Kane from ISU were available you would say pass? A Senior, experienced, who could handle the ball, run the offense and hit the occasional outside shot, no thanks? Who could feed the other four like a new mom feeding a hungry baby, nope do not need them. Who could help teach this young group how to play PG at a higher level, no interest?

Rocky Curtis 5 months ago

Regarding Turner's pending choice … it seems to me that JoJo could realize that it's he that's holding up the show here. A little love for his Jayhawks would be nice. There is an old saying; "S _ _ _ or get off the pot!" Make a decision, JoJo.

Suzi Marshall 5 months ago

Everyone knows there is a deadline that the NBA set...actually two of them later this month.

Robert Brock 5 months ago

Turner is the one having difficulty making a decision. Summer school starts in sixty days - make up your mind, Kid!

Aaron Paisley 5 months ago

No he's not. He said several months ago that him coming to KU was dependant upon Embiid's decision because if Embiid stays, Turner is buried in the rotation. It will not be long after Joel Embiid's decision that we will here Turner's decision. It really is that simple in this case.

Walter Bridges 5 months ago

It would be a mistake for Turner not to wait. He is correct in wanting to know who else will be around. I think it could be a good thing to have both players as long as they are confident enough in themselves but it could also develop into a riff that affects the entire team.

Take your time and be happy with your decision Turner!

Suzi Marshall 5 months ago

That would also be my (and probably a lot of other JHawk/LB fans) dream wish. If that happened, I'd love to see Self schedule SMU into the Field House for a game and a LB Day. Ted Owens did this for Adolf Rupp. I was fortunate to be at that game. We all owe LB a lot.

I've said this before but my dream final 4 would be Kansas, Kentucky, UNC and SMU. LB would love the chance to show his abilities to his young pups.

Rodney Crain 5 months ago

I wonder if the friction has cooled with Self hiring Howard from LB. LB, nor Self might not be interested in that. Also like Roy, I do not think it is fun for coaches to schedule people they like or schools they used to work at. Remember the minor issues at the beginning of the NCAA's, when a few schools were paired in round one with former assistants, they did not like it. If it two coaches who respect each other and there is a school tie in like with Tad at CO that might be different.

Greg Lux 5 months ago

I am most interested in seeing how Kelly Oubre does against these other top recruits .. This should be fun.

Rodney Crain 5 months ago

OUCH - question to get to article was - Are you currently a student of Stanford University. Painful still...

Jonathan Allison 5 months ago

google has a warped sense of humor.

Max Ledom 5 months ago

I don't see this guy coming to KU. I would love to see him here though! But I doubt he does come here. "Hey we are really going after Okafor cause he's better, so you should look for someone new!" "Oh hey we didn't get Okafor.....I loved you all along. This was the plan, Myles." "We really only need you if JoJo doesn't come back..so hold off on committing to us." Either or: JoJo leaves: "Commit to us baby!" JoJo stays: "Yeah ya know I think you should look elsewhere."

I know this obviously isn't how Bill is talking to Myles. But it's hard to believe Myles isn't reading into it that way at least a tiny bit...

Jonathan Allison 5 months ago

many recruits would read into it that way.

Turner seems to be wise and have a good head on his shoulders. He understands the recruiting game.

He knows that if Embiid stays 1) he and Embiid play the same position and that he would have to share minutes with JoJo and 2) he still wouldn't have an official scholarship offer unless someone transfers out.

I don't know that he's going to pick KU even if Embiid leaves. I prefer to set my expectations low when it comes to recruiting. That way I'm at least prepared for the case of we may lose Embiid and not gain Turner.

Reggie Flenory 5 months ago

Hee showed good range tonight at the mcdonalds all american game

George Lam 5 months ago

The BYU point guard, Matt Carlino, is transferring. He looks to be a god fit.