Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Self visiting top prep basketball recruits

Kansas University basketball coach Bill Self was to visit with the families of top ten guards Tyus Jones and Rashad Vaughn on Wednesday in Minnesota, about the same time No. 43-rated point guard Jordan McLaughlin orally committed to USC.

McLaughin placed a hat of USC on his head during a ceremony in which he had the caps of USC, UCLA, KU and Indiana lined in front of him on a table.

“They’re an up-and-coming program, and I feel I have a great rapport with the staff already,” McLaughlin told ESPN.com. “In addition, they told me they would bring No. 11 (jersey of Bill Sharman) out of retirement so I could wear it during my Trojan career. That definitely was a nice finishing touch on the visit (last weekend).”

Meanwhile, Jones, a 6-1 senior from Apple Valley High who is ranked No. 5 nationally by Rivals.com, will visit KU on Oct. 18 with his good friend, No. 1-rated Jahlil Okafor, 6-11 from Chicago Whitney Young.

Jones and Okafor have already visited Baylor and will visit Duke together on Oct. 25. Jones is also considering Minnesota and Kentucky. Coaches from Duke, Minnesota and Kentucky visited with Jones on Monday and Tuesday.

No. 7-rated Vaughn, a 6-5 senior from Findlay Prep High in Henderson, Nev., has a list of KU, Minnesota, North Carolina, Arizona, Baylor, Georgetown, Iowa State, Kentucky, UCLA, UConn and UNLV. One of Vaughn’s coaches told the Ames Tribune he will visit ISU on Nov. 17, Baylor on Oct. 18 and North Carolina on Sept. 27. KU coach Self, who was to meet with Vaughn’s family members Wednesday in Vaughn’s hometown of Minneapolis, will travel to Las Vegas to visit with Vaughn on Friday.

Self today is scheduled to visit the family of No. 3-rated Stanley Johnson, 6-6 senior from Mater Dei High in Santa Ana, Calif. He is considering KU, Arizona, Florida, Kentucky, Oregon, UCLA and USC with Kentucky and ‘Zona considered the leaders.

l

More on Milt: Milt Newton, who on Tuesday was introduced as general manager of the Minnesota Timberwolves, became the third GM off KU’s 1988 national championship team. The others: San Antonio’s R.C. Buford, an assistant to Larry Brown at KU and Indiana’s Kevin Pritchard, a guard on the team.

“It was just something that was on my mind,” Newton told the Washington Post, referring to becoming a general manager. He was in the Wizards’ front office 10 years before moving to Minnesota. “My dad always told me that ‘you don’t have a job, you have a very well paid hobby,’ but it’s something that I love and it’s always good to do something that you love and that you can put your heart and soul into it.”

Comments

Dirk Medema 1 year, 3 months ago

a very well paid hobby is a great thing.

chahawk 1 year, 3 months ago

Opinion check, should the numer 60 ever come out of retirement?

JayHawkFanToo 1 year, 3 months ago

Ku does not retire the number, it retires the jersey.

COHawk10 1 year, 3 months ago

Yeah, so for example, Jeff Boschee wore Wilt Chamberlain's #13.

DoubleDD 1 year, 3 months ago

A guy that is happy to have a Jersey pulled down out of the rafters (history) Is not somebody that I want to wear the Kansas Uniform.

Alex Wishart 1 year, 3 months ago

Are you kidding me? I'd let Wiggins wear a different retired number every game if he wanted to. Good thing we don't have to worry about that because we only retire jerseys and not numbers.

kranny 1 year, 3 months ago

No Freakin way. Wiggins or anybody else can go play for Fort Hays if it means pulling down Wilt Chamberlain's number, jersey or both. I don't think Jayhawk Nation wants any Prima Donna who makes demands or expects considerations like that.

Steve Reigle 1 year, 3 months ago

I don't believe KU retires numbers. We retire jerseys. The number can still be worn by other players. Maybe USC does the same thing and this kid thinks he's getting something special but he isn't.

klineisanazi 1 year, 3 months ago

I was thinking the same thing. But if not, they sold out for a #43 rated point guard?

ohjayhawk 1 year, 3 months ago

Looking back through the rosters of USC, it appears the last time the number 11 was used was "clear back" in the 2005-2006 season. A freshman named Adam Goldston wore it. Adam (and presumably his twin brother Ryan) disappeared from the roster the next season, and the number has not been worn since. I also found an article where USC retired a jersey in 2010. I would guess you are on to something where they only retire jerseys at USC as well, not the numbers.

After doing a bit more digging, Adam Goldston was a walk-on. Definitely doesn't appear to be quite the honor Mr. McLaughlin is being led to believe it is.

jhawkrulz 1 year, 3 months ago

USC is up and coming in basketball? That was the most interesting part of the news article.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 3 months ago

They probably meant their cheerleaders. Whew !

RJ King 1 year, 3 months ago

Oh yes. Hopefully returning to their glory days of OJ Mayo.

Dan Cook 1 year, 3 months ago

With the former Florida Gulf Coast head coach (and his wife), I wouldn't be surprised if USC surpasses UCLA in recruiting the next couple of years.

REHawk 1 year, 3 months ago

Another sorry cap parade. I know, I know, it is bound to be employed again for a future Kansas recruit. But after the miserable Terrence Jones fiasco, the routine seems clownish. This old fan is very pleased at the manner in which our current freshman recruits handled their signings with lowkey and mature class and dignity.

klineisanazi 1 year, 3 months ago

What if you had a cap selection ceremony and nobody knew? I mean, who knew he was choosing and that KU was a "candidate"?

Brett McCabe 1 year, 3 months ago

There is a very high probability that, of the four caps on the table, only one school had "officially" offered. However, I'm guessing that Enfield staged this, just to have a picture of a kid picking an SC hat over KU and Indiana.

He can now tell other recruits: See? We beat out Indiana.

It's like when I went to KU. Their academic offer of admission and in-state tuition beat out any offers I had from Harvard, Princeton and Yale.

jaybate 1 year, 3 months ago

I can hardly wait til hard times force Nike and Adidas to diversify into women's hosiery for men; then recruits can line up the school embroidered hosiery on the press conference tables and select their schools by slipping on some semi sheer camo-panty hose!!! Yech! This all makes puke "sheer energy."

Next!

jaybate 1 year, 3 months ago

Dear NCAA,

Why can't we have jock strap ceremonies; this would surely up the ratings among women? And if the straps were sheer, they could practically corner the cougar sub market!!!

No wait, this would be a slippery slope into Trojan wanting to sponsor the event!!!

jhox 1 year, 3 months ago

Personally, I'm thrilled we didn't land a 5'11" point guard. As good as they can sometimes be offensively, most are defensive liabilities at the high D1 level. Some work out but I'd much rather us going after 6'2" or taller PG's. the odds of success are better.

Brett McCabe 1 year, 3 months ago

This kid probably fits more of the dunk city mold that Enfield employs. Defend as best you can....just make sure and get down the court fast, drop a trey, an assist for a jam or find an open trey.

jhox 1 year, 3 months ago

6'1' I can live with, but the taller the better in my mind. In fact, I wouldn't mind 6'8" if he plays like Magic Johnson!

Beate Williams 1 year, 3 months ago

Jaybate, you are nuts. Now I can go to work with a smile on my face. Thanks

Hawk8086 1 year, 3 months ago

So.........is the consensus that we have the best shot of landing Alexander, Turner, Oubre? We are lagging other schools in the recruitment of all those mentioned above? Not that HCBS couldn't change that.

Robert Brock 1 year, 3 months ago

That is the conventional wisdom. Getting that threesome would be a great class, IMO.

Robin Smith 1 year, 3 months ago

agreed -- I really want that trio to be joining up

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 3 months ago

Yes, but Alexander & Oubre would be slam-dunks.....for one available schollie & one that's OBVIOUSLY going to available - those of T. Black & A. Wiggins.

Turner (who's waiting 'til Spring [smart move on his part]) would be if Embiid were to leave early, unless he were to commit BEFORE Alexander. but not sounding that way if he's already making it known that he's likely a Spring commit.

Oubre's about 50/50 UK or KU, but I think KU & him would fit like a glove whereas UK probably would prefer S. Johnson (who's also sounding like a Spring deciison).

Tony Bandle 1 year, 3 months ago

RANDOM THOUGHTS.

1] What a delicate balance, recruiting must demand of the elite coaches. Bill visits two Top Ten guards almost simultaneously yet has to make each kid and his family feel like they are his first choice.

2] My guess is that Bill is totally honest with everyone and lets them know that other players are being considered.

3] Double Whammy...hat ceremony and implying that getting a retired jersey number sealed the deal. See ya, wouldn't want to be ya!!

4] Whatever we did for Andrew and his parents on their visit, KU Nation, please duplicate for Tyus and Jahlil on 10/18!!

5] Waffle fries are such a treat, I always wonder why more places don't offer them.

6] I asked Cheyenne, my 13 week old female Golden Retriever puppy, which team was going to win on Saturday by putting down a stuffed Owl and a Baby Jayhawk. She took the Jayhawk and peed on the Owl. Boys and girls, it's a done deal!!!

7] The Chiefs, Rams, Royals and Cardinals all won games last weekend.....how often has that happened in the last several years!!??

8] The white helmets remind me of Penn State. Ever since that famous Kansas Twelve Man Defense Orange Bowl loss, I've hated PSU ergo I hate the white helmets. Sorry, just sayin'.

9] The coolest jersey number ever was worn by Bill Bell, the Kansas kicker in 1969. It was 100 in honor of the first century of college football.

Ron Prichard 1 year, 3 months ago

Number 6 almost made me spit out my coffee. Great stuff, Oak. Although I have to disagree on the white helmets. I loved the look Saturday. I'm curious to see what they break out this week, but I'm guessing it will be a different color helmet.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 3 months ago

Nice stuff Oak .. random replies:

1] It's called talking out of both sides of your mouth, and meaning it.

2] Good guess.

3] USC .. a hoops destination. They should retire the program.

4] Unless it was cash.

5] Then they wouldn't be a treat.

6] Just hope you you've stopped sleeping with the owl.

7] I just know the Cardinals aren't the problem.

8] But they gave KC Todd Blackledge.

9] I did not know that.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 3 months ago

regarding No. 1] - two VASTLY different players. Tyus Jones known to be more of a "Chris Paul"-esque PG. Rashad Vaughn more of a scoring SG - good to drive, mid-range OR from long-distance.

Rashad's our insurance in case Selden were to decide to leave early come Spring (and luckily by all indications Rashad's not deciding 'til the Spring).

And technically speaking I don't think that we ARE looking at any other Class of '14 PGs or SGs.

SFs: S. Johnson, Oubre & Winslow

PFs: Cl. Alexander

Cs: J. Okafor, Turner, El. Robinson

Would be nice to AT LEAST land 2 of those 9. Honestly, I'd prefer that Selden & Embiid stay - that being the case I don't know that Ty. Jones, J.Okafor is the best combo. Probably best fit for players that would depart after this year would be Oubre & Alexander then.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 3 months ago

I don't consider White III more suited to play SG than SF.

jaybate 1 year, 3 months ago

Systematized randomness, now that is neo postmodern!

justinryman 1 year, 3 months ago

I had a cup ceremony this morning. My choices were a Starbucks, a Seattle's Best, or my own KU insulated travel mug.

KU won!!! And was it some fine and dandy homemade coffee and a heck of a lot cheaper than that $9 stuff at the other places.

Preston Dwiggins 1 year, 3 months ago

Scratching my head, I wonder if Jordan McLaughlin got confused and thought he was gong to UCLA instead of USC, because USC isn't up and coming.

texashawk10 1 year, 3 months ago

Steve Alford is a good coach and he will have UCLA back contending for conference titles and making deep runs in the NCAA tournament in a couple of years. Andy Enfield is a bit of a question mark as he's never been a head coach a school in a major conference so we'll see if he can keep up the momentum from FGCU.

Robin Smith 1 year, 3 months ago

they are both up-and-coming

they both hired new coaches with buzz and recruiting acumen.

REHawk 1 year, 3 months ago

Not yet verifiable that USC hoops program is up and coming. However, considering the appearance of the spouse of the new coach, I tend to give credence to an essential element of USC basketball most probably fitting that mold.

Steve Gantz 1 year, 3 months ago

Wow, never heard of Bill Sharman, but If I was a USC fan I'd be saying how dare you give a number to one of the NBA's 50 greatest players? He's in the hall as both a player and as a coach, something Wooden and Lenny Wilkins can also claim. He won ABA and NBA titles as a coach. And he interrupted his playing career to go fight the bad guys in WW2.

And there's also this. In 1951 he played in the Dodgers minor leagues and got called up at the end of the season. He was on the bench when the ump ejected the entire Dodger bench for arguing. He never got into a big league game making him the only big leaguer to never play in a game but get ejected from a game!

wrwlumpy 1 year, 3 months ago

Next to AFH this is my favorite arena. Glad to see this national treasure upgraded. Coach Allen is the reason it became so famous for all of the NCAA championship games played there. http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/23609956/umkc-makes-big-upgrades-to-classic-arena

Steve Gantz 1 year, 3 months ago

Thanks for sharing, I was there once, but not for basketball, but an evangelism conference and I heard Billy Graham speak there!

Andrew Horigan 1 year, 3 months ago

I saw that. Before ESPN went all Facebook and I used to have pretty lengthy conversations (a nice way to put it) with Zona and UK fans, they always referred to us as KUpcakes. That would irritate me so much! We've never scheduled easy in basketball and Coach Self has done a great job this year at getting these kids ready for competition. Come Big 12 and tournament time they will be ready, regardless of our record. We might lose some games early on but they will be more beneficial than stacking W's against lesser opponents.

jaybate 1 year, 3 months ago

Public service announcent--for future ceremonial cup selection ceremonies for RECRUIT SIGNING press conferences.

jaybate 1 year, 3 months ago

NCAAPrime Cup Selection Committee Meeting Minutes:

Chrmn: market research indicates we can increase market share 2 full points by having the male athletes use athletic cups with school logos on the press conference table and select the cup with the logo of the school they will attend. All in favor?

Committee Person 1: I would like the chair to entertain discussion before a vote.

Chrmn: keep it brief.

CP1: can the logos be in bas relief, or must they be decals?

Chrmn: At this time, only decals, but the chair would entertain such a motion.

CP1: I move to, we'll, what I just said.

Chrmn: do I hear a second.

CP2: I second

Chrmn: all in favor of allowing bas relief logos on athletic cups to increase viewership, say aye.

CP3: point of order. I want to discuss this.

Chrmn: noted.

CP3: bas relief logos could be mistaken for genital bulging, perhaps even arousal.

Chrmn: Chair recognizes committee person one.

CP1: I am not sure that would be a bad thing for ratings.

CP2: it would be great for ratings.

Chrmn: out of order.

CP1: I relinquish my remaining time to my distinguished colleague.

Chrmn: chair recognizes committee person 2.

CP2: marketing indicates sex sells.

Chrmn: surely the committee person is not suggesting the players wearing bas relief cups have sex on the public airways, too.

CP2: not salaciously, or for free, no. But...

Chrmn: I am outraged, sir.

CP1: he has a point, Mr. Chairman.

Chrmn: I fail to see it and you're out of order. But if he can make it quickly, then proceed.

CP2: you see, technically, the cup serves a dual function. It is both protection against injury, and arguably, a contraceptive device.

Chrmn: I see.

CP2: and today most major networks allow ads for condoms, so we can argue this is even better than a condom. Each bas relief athletic cup can be shown to actually prevent sex.

CP1: it a chastity cup. We can have chorus girls from Vegas dancing around the OAD and a banner runs reading "player X selects school Y and protects abstains from temptation!!!!"

CP2: it will spike ratings 50%!!"

Chrmn: all in favor.

All shout together: aye for bas relief!!