Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Self visiting top prep basketball recruits

Kansas University basketball coach Bill Self was to visit with the families of top ten guards Tyus Jones and Rashad Vaughn on Wednesday in Minnesota, about the same time No. 43-rated point guard Jordan McLaughlin orally committed to USC.

McLaughin placed a hat of USC on his head during a ceremony in which he had the caps of USC, UCLA, KU and Indiana lined in front of him on a table.

“They’re an up-and-coming program, and I feel I have a great rapport with the staff already,” McLaughlin told ESPN.com. “In addition, they told me they would bring No. 11 (jersey of Bill Sharman) out of retirement so I could wear it during my Trojan career. That definitely was a nice finishing touch on the visit (last weekend).”

Meanwhile, Jones, a 6-1 senior from Apple Valley High who is ranked No. 5 nationally by Rivals.com, will visit KU on Oct. 18 with his good friend, No. 1-rated Jahlil Okafor, 6-11 from Chicago Whitney Young.

Jones and Okafor have already visited Baylor and will visit Duke together on Oct. 25. Jones is also considering Minnesota and Kentucky. Coaches from Duke, Minnesota and Kentucky visited with Jones on Monday and Tuesday.

No. 7-rated Vaughn, a 6-5 senior from Findlay Prep High in Henderson, Nev., has a list of KU, Minnesota, North Carolina, Arizona, Baylor, Georgetown, Iowa State, Kentucky, UCLA, UConn and UNLV. One of Vaughn’s coaches told the Ames Tribune he will visit ISU on Nov. 17, Baylor on Oct. 18 and North Carolina on Sept. 27. KU coach Self, who was to meet with Vaughn’s family members Wednesday in Vaughn’s hometown of Minneapolis, will travel to Las Vegas to visit with Vaughn on Friday.

Self today is scheduled to visit the family of No. 3-rated Stanley Johnson, 6-6 senior from Mater Dei High in Santa Ana, Calif. He is considering KU, Arizona, Florida, Kentucky, Oregon, UCLA and USC with Kentucky and ‘Zona considered the leaders.

l

More on Milt: Milt Newton, who on Tuesday was introduced as general manager of the Minnesota Timberwolves, became the third GM off KU’s 1988 national championship team. The others: San Antonio’s R.C. Buford, an assistant to Larry Brown at KU and Indiana’s Kevin Pritchard, a guard on the team.

“It was just something that was on my mind,” Newton told the Washington Post, referring to becoming a general manager. He was in the Wizards’ front office 10 years before moving to Minnesota. “My dad always told me that ‘you don’t have a job, you have a very well paid hobby,’ but it’s something that I love and it’s always good to do something that you love and that you can put your heart and soul into it.”

Comments

jaybate 7 months, 1 week ago

NCAAPrime Cup Selection Committee Meeting Minutes:

Chrmn: market research indicates we can increase market share 2 full points by having the male athletes use athletic cups with school logos on the press conference table and select the cup with the logo of the school they will attend. All in favor?

Committee Person 1: I would like the chair to entertain discussion before a vote.

Chrmn: keep it brief.

CP1: can the logos be in bas relief, or must they be decals?

Chrmn: At this time, only decals, but the chair would entertain such a motion.

CP1: I move to, we'll, what I just said.

Chrmn: do I hear a second.

CP2: I second

Chrmn: all in favor of allowing bas relief logos on athletic cups to increase viewership, say aye.

CP3: point of order. I want to discuss this.

Chrmn: noted.

CP3: bas relief logos could be mistaken for genital bulging, perhaps even arousal.

Chrmn: Chair recognizes committee person one.

CP1: I am not sure that would be a bad thing for ratings.

CP2: it would be great for ratings.

Chrmn: out of order.

CP1: I relinquish my remaining time to my distinguished colleague.

Chrmn: chair recognizes committee person 2.

CP2: marketing indicates sex sells.

Chrmn: surely the committee person is not suggesting the players wearing bas relief cups have sex on the public airways, too.

CP2: not salaciously, or for free, no. But...

Chrmn: I am outraged, sir.

CP1: he has a point, Mr. Chairman.

Chrmn: I fail to see it and you're out of order. But if he can make it quickly, then proceed.

CP2: you see, technically, the cup serves a dual function. It is both protection against injury, and arguably, a contraceptive device.

Chrmn: I see.

CP2: and today most major networks allow ads for condoms, so we can argue this is even better than a condom. Each bas relief athletic cup can be shown to actually prevent sex.

CP1: it a chastity cup. We can have chorus girls from Vegas dancing around the OAD and a banner runs reading "player X selects school Y and protects abstains from temptation!!!!"

CP2: it will spike ratings 50%!!"

Chrmn: all in favor.

All shout together: aye for bas relief!!

jaybate 7 months, 1 week ago

Public service announcent--for future ceremonial cup selection ceremonies for RECRUIT SIGNING press conferences.

wrwlumpy 7 months, 1 week ago

Next to AFH this is my favorite arena. Glad to see this national treasure upgraded. Coach Allen is the reason it became so famous for all of the NCAA championship games played there. http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/23609956/umkc-makes-big-upgrades-to-classic-arena

Steve Gantz 7 months, 1 week ago

Wow, never heard of Bill Sharman, but If I was a USC fan I'd be saying how dare you give a number to one of the NBA's 50 greatest players? He's in the hall as both a player and as a coach, something Wooden and Lenny Wilkins can also claim. He won ABA and NBA titles as a coach. And he interrupted his playing career to go fight the bad guys in WW2.

And there's also this. In 1951 he played in the Dodgers minor leagues and got called up at the end of the season. He was on the bench when the ump ejected the entire Dodger bench for arguing. He never got into a big league game making him the only big leaguer to never play in a game but get ejected from a game!

Preston Dwiggins 7 months, 1 week ago

Scratching my head, I wonder if Jordan McLaughlin got confused and thought he was gong to UCLA instead of USC, because USC isn't up and coming.

William Blake 7 months, 1 week ago

We must lead the country in cap ceremonies... and perhaps, failure rate at cap ceremonies.

I'm going to stretch out over a limb on this one and give a reason for WHY we take the lead in such a flaccid, redundant cliché... because KU caps are sold more than any other college team cap in America, and available even at gas stations.

Proving that point... I recently had a cap ceremony for which lawn company would win my business. KU lost again!

Tony Bandle 7 months, 1 week ago

RANDOM THOUGHTS.

1] What a delicate balance, recruiting must demand of the elite coaches. Bill visits two Top Ten guards almost simultaneously yet has to make each kid and his family feel like they are his first choice.

2] My guess is that Bill is totally honest with everyone and lets them know that other players are being considered.

3] Double Whammy...hat ceremony and implying that getting a retired jersey number sealed the deal. See ya, wouldn't want to be ya!!

4] Whatever we did for Andrew and his parents on their visit, KU Nation, please duplicate for Tyus and Jahlil on 10/18!!

5] Waffle fries are such a treat, I always wonder why more places don't offer them.

6] I asked Cheyenne, my 13 week old female Golden Retriever puppy, which team was going to win on Saturday by putting down a stuffed Owl and a Baby Jayhawk. She took the Jayhawk and peed on the Owl. Boys and girls, it's a done deal!!!

7] The Chiefs, Rams, Royals and Cardinals all won games last weekend.....how often has that happened in the last several years!!??

8] The white helmets remind me of Penn State. Ever since that famous Kansas Twelve Man Defense Orange Bowl loss, I've hated PSU ergo I hate the white helmets. Sorry, just sayin'.

9] The coolest jersey number ever was worn by Bill Bell, the Kansas kicker in 1969. It was 100 in honor of the first century of college football.

Hawk8086 7 months, 1 week ago

So.........is the consensus that we have the best shot of landing Alexander, Turner, Oubre? We are lagging other schools in the recruitment of all those mentioned above? Not that HCBS couldn't change that.

Beate Williams 7 months, 1 week ago

Jaybate, you are nuts. Now I can go to work with a smile on my face. Thanks

jhox 7 months, 1 week ago

Personally, I'm thrilled we didn't land a 5'11" point guard. As good as they can sometimes be offensively, most are defensive liabilities at the high D1 level. Some work out but I'd much rather us going after 6'2" or taller PG's. the odds of success are better.

jaybate 7 months, 1 week ago

Dear NCAA,

Why can't we have jock strap ceremonies; this would surely up the ratings among women? And if the straps were sheer, they could practically corner the cougar sub market!!!

No wait, this would be a slippery slope into Trojan wanting to sponsor the event!!!

jaybate 7 months, 1 week ago

I can hardly wait til hard times force Nike and Adidas to diversify into women's hosiery for men; then recruits can line up the school embroidered hosiery on the press conference tables and select their schools by slipping on some semi sheer camo-panty hose!!! Yech! This all makes puke "sheer energy."

Next!

REHawk 7 months, 1 week ago

Another sorry cap parade. I know, I know, it is bound to be employed again for a future Kansas recruit. But after the miserable Terrence Jones fiasco, the routine seems clownish. This old fan is very pleased at the manner in which our current freshman recruits handled their signings with lowkey and mature class and dignity.

jhawkrulz 7 months, 1 week ago

USC is up and coming in basketball? That was the most interesting part of the news article.

iamakufan 7 months, 1 week ago

I don't believe KU retires numbers. We retire jerseys. The number can still be worn by other players. Maybe USC does the same thing and this kid thinks he's getting something special but he isn't.

Alex Wishart 7 months, 1 week ago

Are you kidding me? I'd let Wiggins wear a different retired number every game if he wanted to. Good thing we don't have to worry about that because we only retire jerseys and not numbers.

DoubleDD 7 months, 1 week ago

A guy that is happy to have a Jersey pulled down out of the rafters (history) Is not somebody that I want to wear the Kansas Uniform.

chahawk 7 months, 1 week ago

Opinion check, should the numer 60 ever come out of retirement?

Wis Hawk 7 months, 1 week ago

I'd much prefer three goal hat tricks than 4 cap tricks.

Dirk Medema 7 months, 1 week ago

a very well paid hobby is a great thing.