Sunday, September 1, 2013

Paul Pierce making noise in New York

Former Kansas University basketball standout Paul Pierce has been stealing headlines in the Big Apple this summer.

Pierce, who played the first 15 years of his NBA career with the Boston Celtics before being traded to the Brooklyn Nets this offseason, told ESPN New York radio 98.7 his dislike for the Knicks “has grown to another level. I think it’s time for the Nets to start running this city.”

Later, Pierce told “Complex Magazine” that the Nets, who also added Boston’s Kevin Garnett, will soon emerge as the most popular team in New York.

“Oh yeah. Right now it might be like 70-30, but we’re gonna push that the other way,” Pierce told the magazine.

The Knicks’ J.R. Smith responded to ESPN New York, saying, “I just look at him as a bitter person just getting out of Boston. He doesn’t really know what New York is all about. He’s been playing in Boston his whole career. He just knows, just know that his words have consequences, and he’s going to have to pay for them.”

Knicks point guard Ray Felton also spoke to ESPN New York about Pierce’s statements.

“They will never take over the city. Because we’ve got ‘New York’ on our chest,” Felton said. “They’ve got ‘Brooklyn’ on their chest, and we’ve got ‘New York.’ They’ll never take over the city. (Pierce) saying that is just him talking. At the end of the day, it’s all about rivalries. We understand that — he knows that, I know that. He’s just trying to fuel it.”

Pierce, by the way, told ESPN New York he will not accompany the team to an Oct. 23 Nets-Celtics preseason game in Boston. He will play in the one regular season game in Boston on Jan. 26.

“You just want to get it out of the way. When you gotta go through something tough, I’ve always been a guy that just wants to get it out of the way. It’s gonna be in the back of my mind,” Pierce said. “I’ll do it just one time next year.”

Comments

Mike Bratisax 7 months, 3 weeks ago

I can finally stop rooting for the Boston Celtics. I guess the Brooklyn Nets are my new favorite team.

jaybate 7 months, 3 weeks ago

6-8 losses estimated, but strong finish. Still...

• Frankamp shoots about as well as Ben? This is sick. AW3, your red shirt is ready.

• Black is good? A freight train with game? This is sicker. Bring on the B1G.

• Greene is long, skilled, really talented? Even A Wigs has a challenger? This is epidemic sick. In blow outs, is the lead going to increase, when the subs come in?

• Ellis, a 5-star, and stated early 1st option, has to play well, or he will lose minutes? Pandemic sick!

• What's next? Is Self going to bring in Phil Jackson and Larry Bird to coach B12 schools to give himself more competition? Chem/Bio sick! No anti-venom sick!! No antidote sick!!!

Michael Auchard 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Wasn't this reported on ESPN almost a week ago? I know they're looking for stories, but this ancient, ancient news.

Richard Holmes 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Born in Pittsburgh, Kansas. KU grad. moved to New York in 1981. People here feel the way about Kansas that people from Kansas feel about what it's like here. Both are wrong. Both are great places. Brooklyn is the upcoming place to be. Very expensive and very chic . great music scene. As far as the Midwest is concerned, Lawrence and Kansas City are great places to live, although most people here don't believe that there's life west of the Hudson.

Danny Hernandez 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Brooklyn's cool...my son's an ADA there and many of his colleagues reside there. They love it, of course, rents are less than in Manhattan and that has to be factored into the equation. Manhattan to some is a dump and to others the greatest city in the world.... In Manhattan you have your choice of great trendy restaurants, so many in fact that you can visit one every weekend and still not see them all in one year. What other city can make that claim? So much to do and so many ppl walking late at night that my wife & I definitely feel safe while walking. Definitely has that "it" factor. Brooklyn will never be Manhattan but no city can be either. Brooklyn can stand on its own.

Vince Brown 7 months, 3 weeks ago

@Cmill1221.... "wonder onto a game"? Whatizzat?

mikehawk 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Paul is just having fun and fueling things up for all of basketball in New York. Gets the kids thinking about something other than the Heat. His legacy is secure and he has earned the right to talk some smack, even though he is just playing around and entertaining himself. He and Garnett probably get on the phone and yuk it up about this type of stuff. These guys are not rooks or 3 year guys who sit on the bench and hope for their contracts are picked up. Paul and Kevin are Big Dogs with a rings. Both teams will benefit from the "smack." These guys are on their last legs and will be high dollar role guys who can make the difference during 4th quarters and in the playoffs, assuming they can stay healthy. Enjoy every minute and keep laughing every time you go to the bank, Paul.

William Blake 7 months, 3 weeks ago

If any of you have driven in NY... you realize Pierce said really nothing. Verbal bantering is a NY cultural thing... much different than midwest lifestyle where everyone is expected to be polite and non-abrasive.

I agree with baldjedi, Pierce is trying to fire up the troops and jump right in as a team leader.

Jack Wilson 7 months, 3 weeks ago

NBA talk .. I am .. falling .. asleep.

Mark Lindrud 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Paul is getting his team fired up to be successful. He's got only a few years left and its possible for those few years the Nets are better. The Knicks haven't done much to improve and with the Nets improving and Rose returning to the Bulls, the East will be tougher. Lets not forget Indiana gets Granger back.

Steve Gantz 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Grown men acting like children. JR Smith, a decent player, but no Paul Pierce, saying he's going to pay for his words.

I guess James (turn to your Bible's please) was right when he said "I only takes a spark to set off a forest fire....By our speech we can ruin the world, turn harmony to chaos."

Paul may have done this, but what he said wasn't that bad, unless you're JR Smith.

KansasComet 7 months, 3 weeks ago

The Kansas City Kings left in 1985. The Kansas Jayhawks went to the Four the 1984-1985 season, and have not had a losing season in over 30 years. I'm cool with that.

jahawkdave 7 months, 3 weeks ago

? Nets play @Bos at least twice jan 26 and mar 7

Janet Scott 7 months, 3 weeks ago

This Pierce story is OLD news here on the east coast, in the NJ-NYC area. Yawn. I'm still laughing at the [limited] belief that KC can support an NBA or NHL team. Don't see it happening.

REHawk 7 months, 3 weeks ago

heterohilfiger, what do you hear or read about Tyshawn? He in the serious mix as a backup to D. Wms.?

Alex Wishart 7 months, 3 weeks ago

I visited NYC and Brooklyn in February of this year. We stayed 3 nights in Brooklyn and I can attest they are having a rennesance. It's where all the hipsters live and they have great food, a great nightlife, and a unique shopping experience. There are plenty of rich folks in Brooklyn and its a place with a lot of momentum right now. Plus Jay Z being a former minority owner of the franchise and their really great rebranding have skyrocketed their merchandising success. I live in LA and there's a ton of folks repping Brooklyn Nets gear. There's a definite cool factor. Unfortunately I think athe Truth is wrong here. Just like the new look Clippers will never overtake the Lakers hold on LA, the Brooklyn Nets fans will never grow to exceed that of the Knicks.

Also, most of New York is a dump. Even the nicest areas are dirty and give you an uneasy feeling walking around at night.

Cmill1221 7 months, 3 weeks ago

I have never been to the big apple and I could be wrong, but isn't Brooklyn a dump? Not trying to be rude, just wondering how it could get an NBA team and KC is still without a NBA or even NHL team.