Sunday, September 1, 2013

Paul Pierce making noise in New York

Former Kansas University basketball standout Paul Pierce has been stealing headlines in the Big Apple this summer.

Pierce, who played the first 15 years of his NBA career with the Boston Celtics before being traded to the Brooklyn Nets this offseason, told ESPN New York radio 98.7 his dislike for the Knicks “has grown to another level. I think it’s time for the Nets to start running this city.”

Later, Pierce told “Complex Magazine” that the Nets, who also added Boston’s Kevin Garnett, will soon emerge as the most popular team in New York.

“Oh yeah. Right now it might be like 70-30, but we’re gonna push that the other way,” Pierce told the magazine.

The Knicks’ J.R. Smith responded to ESPN New York, saying, “I just look at him as a bitter person just getting out of Boston. He doesn’t really know what New York is all about. He’s been playing in Boston his whole career. He just knows, just know that his words have consequences, and he’s going to have to pay for them.”

Knicks point guard Ray Felton also spoke to ESPN New York about Pierce’s statements.

“They will never take over the city. Because we’ve got ‘New York’ on our chest,” Felton said. “They’ve got ‘Brooklyn’ on their chest, and we’ve got ‘New York.’ They’ll never take over the city. (Pierce) saying that is just him talking. At the end of the day, it’s all about rivalries. We understand that — he knows that, I know that. He’s just trying to fuel it.”

Pierce, by the way, told ESPN New York he will not accompany the team to an Oct. 23 Nets-Celtics preseason game in Boston. He will play in the one regular season game in Boston on Jan. 26.

“You just want to get it out of the way. When you gotta go through something tough, I’ve always been a guy that just wants to get it out of the way. It’s gonna be in the back of my mind,” Pierce said. “I’ll do it just one time next year.”

Comments

Cmill1221 11 months ago

I have never been to the big apple and I could be wrong, but isn't Brooklyn a dump? Not trying to be rude, just wondering how it could get an NBA team and KC is still without a NBA or even NHL team.

jhox 11 months ago

A quick Google search shows NYC has 18.9 million in the metro area while KC has 2.3 million. That's how they can support two teams while KC has none. I'm guessing Brooklyn has its fair share of millionaires, as well. Not every millionaire likes to flaunt their wealth, and live in a Manhattan high rise apartment. But, more importantly, I suspect the owner of the Nets knew of Brooklyn's history of being fiercely supportive of their teams, and is taking advantage of that with the relocation and renaming of the team.

I do believe KC would be supportive of the right NBA franchise, but it would have to be a winner. If we had landed OKC's franchise, instead of them, they would have done just as well in KC as they are in OKC. KC is starved for a winner. Look how supportive they've been of soccer, and that's still a second tier sport in this country.

Cmill1221 11 months ago

I figured population had a lot to do with it. With that many people I'm sure there are 12-20 thousand people that could wonder into a game. Just wasn't sure about the actual city.

Carolyn Troupe 10 months, 4 weeks ago

They might 'wonder' why they are at the game if they were to 'wander' into the game.

Jonathan Allison 10 months, 4 weeks ago

warning, Grammar Police!

When I was in high school I cared enough about people's grammar to correct them. Then, when I was a TA in college I learned that if I continued to give a crap about grammar that I was going to have persistent diarreagh

W.C. Beck 10 months, 2 weeks ago

Just so you know, Brooklyn is the most populous of NYC's five boroughs, with just under 2.5 million people living in Brooklyn alone. That's not including the suburban areas that surround the city. If Brooklyn were an independent city (and not lumped in as one of the five boroughs) it would rank as the fourth largest city in the US, behind NYC, LA and Chicago.

I agree that it is frustrating that so much focus is put on the New York area and would love to see an NBA team in KC. However, it's a numbers game, especially with Stern at the helm.

Priest Fontaine 11 months ago

Cmill, as a Kansas City boy living in Brooklyn for the past 10 years, I can assure you that Brooklyn is not a dump. If Brooklyn were it's own city, it would be the 4th most populous in the USA. There are some bad areas here and there but KC and every other city has those too. You should check out: Boerum Hill, Cobble Hill, DUMBO, Park Slope, Fort Greene, Williamsburg, Greenpoint, Brooklyn Heights, Carroll Gardens, etc. Unless you are filthy rich, good luck trying to buy even a tiny apartment in any of those neighborhoods. The amount of money here is ridiculous. Then you would have to factor in the popularity and the cool factor of the Brooklyn 'brand'. That said, I'd love it if KC would get an NBA team!

Steve Gantz 11 months ago

Does Kotter and the sweathogs still live there? That's how I learned Brooklyn would be the 4th largest city in America!

doolindalton 11 months ago

Brooklyn is a wonderful place, especially if you have lots of money.

funkitect 11 months ago

as someone who grew up in (very) small-town Kansas, got a professional degree from KU, lived/worked in KC for 5 years, lived in other major cities such as Chicago and Copenhagen, Denmark, AND spent the last 8 years living in Brooklyn, this comment really irks me. Brooklyn is one of my favorite places in the world. perhaps it's time to step outside your own little world for a minute before making a generalized statement like that. I actually lived about a block down Flatbush from the site of the Nets new, amazing stadium before moving to Fort Greene (only about a 20 minute walk from the stadium). I love that area so much, and I was so sad to move out of BK 4 months ago. If I had my druthers, I'd spend the rest of my life there...

Steve Gantz 11 months ago

No need to criticize him. He was wondering what it was like. Most Americans probably have a similar view of Brooklyn.

Cmill1221 11 months ago

Lol. My bubble? I made American Airlines Top 3% of flyers the last 3 year years. (I don't travel for work) I'm going to Singapore for 4 days this month just for a mileage run to keep my status. I've seen plenty. The main reason I ask is b/c I live in "FABULOUS LAS VEGAS" and despite what people think this place is a HUGE DUMP! And my only impression I have had of NY has been the airport Radison and a few drives between JFK and LaGuardia. But now I know from all these posts it's fabulous in Brooklyn. Next time I'm flying through I may take a day or two and check it out.

Brad Farha 11 months ago

Bay Ridge is particularly nice.

Clarence Haynes 11 months ago

Sounds as if you have never been east of the Kaw!

jaybate 11 months ago

Great to hear all this input about Brooklyn. Its a place I haven't visited. I will remedy that ASAP. :-)

Priest Fontaine 11 months ago

Let me know if you make it out during a KU bball game. There's a couple good (unofficial) Brooklyn-based KU watch sites we've got going. Would love to meet you and soak up some of your amazing commentary in person!

Chris1955 11 months ago

I suppose it depends on your definition of what a dump is. I like Brooklyn, and was there and in Queens yesterday. I like visiting NYC, I just wouldn't want to live there.

Michael Pannacciulli 10 months, 4 weeks ago

Dang if you weren't trying to be rude, maybe you could have used a better term than "dump". No, Brooklyn is not a "dump". Where are you from? Anyway, Brooklyn is definitely surging, the city is so big and diverse...Manhattan priced everyone that wants more than 500 square feet for half a mil out, and Brooklyn and Queens are benefiting from that. The new arena is great, the fans love the team (and trust me - it's a far cry from the Jersey Nets when they used to have fake crowd noise pumped in). Go visit and see for yourself.

nyyHawk 10 months, 4 weeks ago

Brooklyn has a population of more than 2.5 million people. If it were still its own city it would be the 4th largest in the U.S. Just like any big city it has its real nice parts and its dumpy parts. I'd love to see KC get an NBA team, but I can't say I'm surprised to see the nets move to Brooklyn from Jersey. The Nets did start as an ABA team in NY (Long Island), So they have always played in the New York City area.

Mike Bratisax 10 months, 4 weeks ago

Ever heard of Brooklyn Heights? Or any of these neighborhoods: Fort Greene, Park Slope, Clinton Hill, Bedford-Stuyvesant (especially towards the end of Bed-Stuy beginning Clinton Hills or Prospect Heights?

Brooklyn is giving Manhattan a run for the place to be - but not yet.

Mike Bratisax 10 months, 4 weeks ago

This is NOT your father's Brooklyn.

Brooklyn is an up-and-coming place to be. They have a lot to go before passing Manhattan but if you are near Brooklyn Heights or some of the other top neighborhoods, Brooklyn is a great place to be.

The Williamsburg area in Brooklyn has some of the top nightclubs and restaurants in New York City. Brooklyn Heights is one of the best places to live in Brooklyn with top restaurants, nightclubs and neighborhoods.

Brooklyn is definitely not a dump.

Mike Bratisax 10 months, 4 weeks ago

And sorry for the double replies. After trying to post the original, I received an error message so tried a second time and got both replies.

archercc 10 months, 3 weeks ago

Not a dump. Doesnt have the glitz or glamour of midtown manhattan but that is because its one of the places people actually live. Houses, mid rises and high rise apartments.

Alex Wishart 11 months ago

I visited NYC and Brooklyn in February of this year. We stayed 3 nights in Brooklyn and I can attest they are having a rennesance. It's where all the hipsters live and they have great food, a great nightlife, and a unique shopping experience. There are plenty of rich folks in Brooklyn and its a place with a lot of momentum right now. Plus Jay Z being a former minority owner of the franchise and their really great rebranding have skyrocketed their merchandising success. I live in LA and there's a ton of folks repping Brooklyn Nets gear. There's a definite cool factor. Unfortunately I think athe Truth is wrong here. Just like the new look Clippers will never overtake the Lakers hold on LA, the Brooklyn Nets fans will never grow to exceed that of the Knicks.

Also, most of New York is a dump. Even the nicest areas are dirty and give you an uneasy feeling walking around at night.

REHawk 11 months ago

heterohilfiger, what do you hear or read about Tyshawn? He in the serious mix as a backup to D. Wms.?

Priest Fontaine 11 months ago

I wish I had the inside scoop REHawk! I did hear good things about how he is coming along in summer league ball. It should be an interesting year with Jason Kidd taking over as coach and Paul Pierce most likely taking Tyshawn under his wing. I'm looking forward to going to some games. Especially is Tyshawn starts getting decent minutes.

Mike Bratisax 10 months, 4 weeks ago

I have heard Tyshawn has a real good shot to become the second point guard for the Brooklyn Nets. I would be surprised if he is not on the team's roster for the upcoming season. Also, having both Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett, the Nets will need to add depth to their backcourt.

jahawkdave 11 months ago

? Nets play @Bos at least twice jan 26 and mar 7

KansasComet 11 months ago

The Kansas City Kings left in 1985. The Kansas Jayhawks went to the Four the 1984-1985 season, and have not had a losing season in over 30 years. I'm cool with that.

Steve Gantz 11 months ago

By went to the four I assume you mean final 4, and if so, it was actually a year later. I remember it quite well it was my first year on campus. And yes I'm cool with my choice to go to KU!

KansasComet 10 months, 4 weeks ago

Thanks, early morning typing can get the best of us. You had a great first year!!

Steve Gantz 11 months ago

Grown men acting like children. JR Smith, a decent player, but no Paul Pierce, saying he's going to pay for his words.

I guess James (turn to your Bible's please) was right when he said "I only takes a spark to set off a forest fire....By our speech we can ruin the world, turn harmony to chaos."

Paul may have done this, but what he said wasn't that bad, unless you're JR Smith.

jhox 11 months ago

It's refreshing to hear these guys care about winning enough to do a little trash talking. A lot of guys, at Paul's age are just trying to collect a final paycheck or two.

Steve Gantz 11 months ago

I didn't mind what Paul said, what bugged me was Smiths he's gonna pay comment. Just childish in my mind.

Mark Lindrud 11 months ago

Paul is getting his team fired up to be successful. He's got only a few years left and its possible for those few years the Nets are better. The Knicks haven't done much to improve and with the Nets improving and Rose returning to the Bulls, the East will be tougher. Lets not forget Indiana gets Granger back.

Jack Wilson 11 months ago

NBA talk .. I am .. falling .. asleep.

Mike Bratisax 10 months, 4 weeks ago

lol..if it wasn't about Paul Pierce, I would never have bothered to read the article. Glad to see two Jayhawks on the team.

mikehawk 11 months ago

Paul is just having fun and fueling things up for all of basketball in New York. Gets the kids thinking about something other than the Heat. His legacy is secure and he has earned the right to talk some smack, even though he is just playing around and entertaining himself. He and Garnett probably get on the phone and yuk it up about this type of stuff. These guys are not rooks or 3 year guys who sit on the bench and hope for their contracts are picked up. Paul and Kevin are Big Dogs with a rings. Both teams will benefit from the "smack." These guys are on their last legs and will be high dollar role guys who can make the difference during 4th quarters and in the playoffs, assuming they can stay healthy. Enjoy every minute and keep laughing every time you go to the bank, Paul.

SaltLakeHawk 11 months ago

I wonder how much money Pierce has made during his career? 300 million?

Vince Brown 11 months ago

@Cmill1221.... "wonder onto a game"? Whatizzat?

Danny Hernandez 11 months ago

Brooklyn's cool...my son's an ADA there and many of his colleagues reside there. They love it, of course, rents are less than in Manhattan and that has to be factored into the equation. Manhattan to some is a dump and to others the greatest city in the world.... In Manhattan you have your choice of great trendy restaurants, so many in fact that you can visit one every weekend and still not see them all in one year. What other city can make that claim? So much to do and so many ppl walking late at night that my wife & I definitely feel safe while walking. Definitely has that "it" factor. Brooklyn will never be Manhattan but no city can be either. Brooklyn can stand on its own.

jooz 10 months, 4 weeks ago

You have forgotten how to spell the city you were born in? Pittsburg in Kansas has no 'h'. (In Pennsylvania it does.)

jooz 10 months, 4 weeks ago

Oops! Sorry replied to the wrong person.... Pittsburg in Kansas has no 'h' at the end. No big deal, just noticed the spelling.

Richard Holmes 11 months ago

Born in Pittsburgh, Kansas. KU grad. moved to New York in 1981. People here feel the way about Kansas that people from Kansas feel about what it's like here. Both are wrong. Both are great places. Brooklyn is the upcoming place to be. Very expensive and very chic . great music scene. As far as the Midwest is concerned, Lawrence and Kansas City are great places to live, although most people here don't believe that there's life west of the Hudson.

Michael Auchard 11 months ago

Wasn't this reported on ESPN almost a week ago? I know they're looking for stories, but this ancient, ancient news.

jaybate 10 months, 4 weeks ago

6-8 losses estimated, but strong finish. Still...

• Frankamp shoots about as well as Ben? This is sick. AW3, your red shirt is ready.

• Black is good? A freight train with game? This is sicker. Bring on the B1G.

• Greene is long, skilled, really talented? Even A Wigs has a challenger? This is epidemic sick. In blow outs, is the lead going to increase, when the subs come in?

• Ellis, a 5-star, and stated early 1st option, has to play well, or he will lose minutes? Pandemic sick!

• What's next? Is Self going to bring in Phil Jackson and Larry Bird to coach B12 schools to give himself more competition? Chem/Bio sick! No anti-venom sick!! No antidote sick!!!

Mike Bratisax 10 months, 4 weeks ago

I can finally stop rooting for the Boston Celtics. I guess the Brooklyn Nets are my new favorite team.