Originally published October 29, 2013 at 10:07p.m., updated October 29, 2013 at 11:33p.m.

Notebook: Naadir Tharpe to miss KU’s season-opener; Self says redshirts still possible

Blue team member Naadir Tharpe gets loose for an easy two during the men's basketball scrimmage during Late Night in the Phog Friday at Allen Fieldhouse.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self

Kansas coach Bill Self talks to reporters following the Jayhawks' 97-57 exhibition victory over Pitt State on Oct. 29, 2013.

Download podcast

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Perry Ellis, Andrew White III, Naadir Tharpe

Kansas' Perry Ellis, Andrew White III and Naadir Tharpe talk to reporters following the Jayhawks' 97-57 exhibition victory over Pitt State on Oct. 29, 2013.

Download podcast

Box score

KU-Pitt State

Kansas University junior point guard Naadir Tharpe will miss the season-opener on Nov. 8 against Louisiana Monroe after he illegally played in a summer-league game in Chicago, KU coach Bill Self announced after KU's 97-57 exhibition victory over Pitt State on Tuesday in Allen Fieldhouse.

“He played in it, (and) he wasn’t allowed to play in it, because it wasn’t from here and it wasn't from his own area,” Self said. "So he goes up there to hang out with 'Mari (Jamari Traylor, Chicagoan), and he plays in one summer-league game.

“So we self-reported that, because he didn’t get prior approval, which he would not have gotten because it wasn’t in his area. It’s a game for a game (penalty). Naadir can play in the next exhibition game, but he will not play in our first regular-season game.”

Self said backup point guard Frank Mason will play more in KU's next exhibition game on Nov. 5 against Fort Hays State. Mason also will start that game, Self said, to prepare for the opener.

Traylor also played in the Chicago summer league, but as Self stated, it’s allowable since he is from Chicago.

Red-shirt status: Self said it’s still possible he could red-shirt a freshman or two.

“We’ll make some decisions in the next week or so. Just because we make decisions doesn’t mean it’s the direction we’ll end up going,” he said.

“Maybe families don’t want to do it or a kid doesn’t want to do it or we don’t want to do something. We’ll not be able to distribute the minutes evenly from this point forward. We need to try to get better so we are prepared to play the season.”

He said frosh Conner Frankamp (zero points, two assists) was currently thinking too much, like all freshmen. He said Brannen Greene (10 points) needed to bend his knees more to “move quicker” but that he was definitely “talented.”

Weekend warrior: Andrew White III, who has been known to visit KU’s practice gym instead of heading out to the clubs on weekends, was rewarded for his work with 12 points and four boards in 15 minutes.

“I go in at 11 o’clock, midnight, it’s what I like to do, how I like to spend my weekends,” White said. “I’ve done it at a young age. I like being in the gym late. It’s not to get recognition or the word out I’m in the gym. I feel at night it’s a calm atmosphere for me to go in and work on things. I’ve become a big fan of late-night workous.”

TV time: Canadian TV network TSN will televise every KU game this regular season as folks up North keep track of the progress of Jayhawk freshman Andrew Wiggins. The majority of games will air live with some having same-day coverage on TSN platforms.

“There are many Canadian basketball fans who can’t wait to watch Andrew and follow the Jayhawks this season,” said KU coach Bill Self in a TV release. “When we have played in Canada in the preseason, a lot of KU fans have come to see us play. Now they can watch all our games on TSN, which will be great exposure for Kansas basketball.”

Early anthem: There was a mixup before the exhibition game in which the Star-Spangled Banner was played much earlier than normal, with the teams in the locker rooms instead of on the court.

Comments

Bryce Landon 9 months, 3 weeks ago

Technicalities suck.

By the way, I noticed Naadir changed his jersey number...? Was that out of deference to Wayne Selden, or did he want the #10 all along? And I thought Evan Manning wore #10?

Andy Hess 9 months, 3 weeks ago

Tharpe wore 10 in high school. He took 1 when Tyshawn had 10, had the opportunity to switch to 10 when Selden wanted to wear 1, so he took it.

Evan Manning switched to 5.

Daniel Kennamore 9 months, 3 weeks ago

...Now we have to wait to see how hard the NCAA comes down on us for this.

Alex Berger 9 months, 3 weeks ago

• 5 Scholarships lost, 3 years postseason ban, Tharpe ruled ineligible for rest of collegiate career.

Sae Thirtysix 9 months, 3 weeks ago

Lance Cheney 9 months, 3 weeks ago

NCAA will probably give us the death penalty over this...

John Fitzgerald 9 months, 3 weeks ago

Andrew Wiggins, Joel Embiid, and Wayne Selden suspended for the season and we aren't allowed in the NCAA tourney for ten years making recruiting impossible and Self would leave for the NBA. And that's the best case scenario ...

Dale Kroening 9 months, 3 weeks ago

I understand rules are rules and shouldnt be broken but someone please explain to me how Naa benefits from this ??? If anything he should be sat by Self for taking a chance of injury, but as usual Im sure the NCAA will hammer us for this idiotic rule...........

Ben Schwartz 9 months, 3 weeks ago

I read "KU's Tharpe banned for illegal summer game" on ESPN and my stomach literally dropped through the floor. I am glad it is only one game.

Daniel Kennamore 9 months, 3 weeks ago

Typical ESPN though; story about UK's game was posted within minutes of it being over but no mention of ours until they can put that headline on it.

Chad DeShazo 9 months, 3 weeks ago

Funny. The same thing happened to me. I couldn't breathe for a second or two...

Bryce Landon 9 months, 3 weeks ago

I wonder if there's a way to stream TSN coverage of KU games this season...:)

Jonathan Allison 9 months, 3 weeks ago

I hope that AWIII is also enjoying college life. The hard work is much appreciated, but you gotta make some time to cut loose a little bit.

Brett McCabe 9 months, 3 weeks ago

Hadn't really thought too much about the Canadian angle with Andrew. Kind of cool that KU will get so much Canadian exposure. Should be interesting and kind of fun for the players and the athletic department.

Naismith was born Canadian, so there is a nice story loop there.

Can't hurt recruiting either. Though there aren't a ton of D-1 basketball players from Canada, there are a few, plus a few in football and other sports. They will probably run some highlights of Cornish and Boogart, and do some features on KU in general.

This could be a real opportunity for us to get established in a reasonably fertile recruiting area for all of our sports and general student admissions. I hope that everyone at KU is ready to take advantage.

Jim Roth 9 months, 3 weeks ago

I want to hear Oh Canada after the Star Spangled Banner, for Wiggins and the Canadian fans. Maybe that's why the anthem was played early, to give time for the next one.

Jonathan Allison 9 months, 3 weeks ago

But after "my home and native land" no one knew the rest of the song, so they just decided to go straight into I'm a Jayhawk

Eliott Reeder 9 months, 3 weeks ago

Don't forget the Cameroonian national anthem for JoJo!!!

Kevin Heath 9 months, 3 weeks ago

I'm just curious why Naadir is being forced to miss the opener. North Carolina player JP Tokoto is being punished for "unapproved participation in summer league games in Milwaukee" (per ESPN.com) and he will "miss the November 1 exhibition game against UNC Pembroke." Can anyone clear this up for me? UNC player gets to miss an exhibition game, KU player has to miss the season opener?

"Tokoto will be available to play in the season opener Nov. 8 against Oakland."

Matthew Pyle 9 months, 3 weeks ago

I can't believe he would Redshirt both Greene and Frankamp. My guess...due to Greene's length and ability contribute in other areas, Frankamp gets the Redshirt.

Erich Hartmann 9 months, 3 weeks ago

I believe there is YouTube video of Tharpe and Traylor in that summer league game. Tharpe evidently was the standout, as he hit 5 3s...