Monday, October 28, 2013

Bill Self: Kansas hoops lineup coming clear

Hunter Lavallie, 11, of Lawrence shows off his dance moves as he competes, and eventually beats, Kansas basketball player Naadir Tharpe in a game of Dance Dance Revolution, Sunday afternoon at Abe & Jake's Landing. The event was part of an equipment drive put on by Bill and Cindy Self's Assists Foundation.

photo

photo

Kansas basketball player Justin Wesley pushes off Niko Roberts as they play an impromptu game of one-on-one with a mini basketball Sunday afternoon at Abe & Jake's Landing.

“You would think that Tarik (Black), Perry (Ellis), Wayne (Selden), Andrew (Wiggins) and Naadir (Tharpe) would probably have a head start on everybody, because that’s kind of how we’ve viewed it, and that’s kind of how they’ve been since the first day,” KU coach Bill Self said Sunday at his Assists Foundation’s Fall Festival and Equipment Drive at Abe & Jake’s Landing.

“There’s other guys out there fighting hard.”

Barring some surprise, one senior (Black), one junior (Tharpe), one sophomore (Ellis) and two freshmen (Selden, Wiggins) will start Tuesday’s 7 p.m. exhibition opener against Pittsburg State.

“Don’t read into it who starts in our exhibition games. That to us is another practice, but obviously a choreographed practice,” Self noted.

Asked if anybody has been dominating the closed scrimmages that have been held since the open scrimmage on Oct. 19, Self said: “Obviously, Andrew (Wiggins) has had his moments. Andrew White has had his moments. Joel (Embiid) and Perry ... all of ’em have had their moments,” Self said. “Naadir has been consistent. I like our team a lot. I don’t think we’re close to putting it together though, not even close.

“I do think the pieces fit. We haven’t figured out how to put ’em together just quite yet. Guys are fighting for minutes. I know we’re looking forward to playing against somebody else.”

Self’s continued praise of Andrew White III puts to rest any thoughts out there that the 6-foot-6 sophomore guard from Richmond, Va., might red-shirt this season.

“Andrew’s going to play. I can’t imagine him not playing,” Self said. “I think he’s worked so hard. He’s been one of our most consistent performers, without question.”

The only veteran to red-shirt this season will be newcomer Hunter Mickelson, who can practice but not play in games in accordance with NCAA transfer rules. He played at Arkansas two seasons.

KU’s six freshmen can play in the two exhibition games and still be red-shirt candidates in accordance with NCAA rules. Any veteran that plays in an exhibition cannot be red-shirted.

“I don’t know what we’re going to do yet. We still have about 10 more days to try to figure it out,” Self said of the possibility of meeting with a freshman about sitting out a year to get a fifth year down the line.

Of the status of the six freshmen heading into Tuesday’s practice game, Self said: “Yeah, they’ll all play. I don’t know how much, though. Everybody is so young, we need to get them all up there (in game situations).”

Self, who didn’t push the players hard the first week or so of the NCAA’s new, expanded season, which opened on Sept. 27, said things have picked up of late.

“We’ve got a lot of stuff to get in,” Self said. “We’ve got to get real serious. We’ve got, I guess, a legitimate 10, 11 days before we need to have the majority of our stuff in. We’re not going to have it all in when we play our first game (against Louisiana Monroe, Nov. 8).

“Hopefully we’ll get something out of our exhibition game Tuesday. Hopefully we’ll play well and get some confidence and really have a serious week, not so much getting after them, but as far as getting in a lot of things that have to be gotten in before we play our first game.”

Equipment-drive fun: More than 100 youths played interactive games with the Jayhawks, posed for pictures and landed autographs at Sunday’s event for Bill and Cindy Self’s Assists Foundation. All equipment brought by fans will be donated to the Boys and Girls Club.

“We’ve got some games I think our players are enjoying playing more than the actual kiddos,” Self said. Stations were held where youths and the Jayhawks fired baseballs through targets and also competed in Pop-A-Shot and Dance Dance, Revolution. “The biggest thing is getting equipment to give away to kids through the Boys and Girls club. Hopefully then they’ll become more active and do some things they wouldn’t have been able to do. A lot of equipment has come in today.”

Tharpe said he enjoyed competing against the youths in the dance game.

“I love being around the kids all the time. Just for them to be able to see basketball players up close, people they look up to, is great. They’re trying to get competitive. It’s fun,” Tharpe said.

“It’s great coach is doing something for the kids of the community. Everybody is coming together as a team, and it’s good for us to get together as a unit and do something like this. It’s a great atmosphere,” Tharpe added.

Noted freshman Brannen Greene: “It’s cool being able to interact with the little kids. What else would I be doing on a Sunday? It’s fun.”

Cliff notes: Cliff Alexander, a 6-8 senior from Chicago’s Curie High, has switched his decision date from Nov. 16 to Nov. 15, Zagsblog.com reports. He will announce on ESPN. No. 4-rated Alexander, who visited Illinois last weekend, has a list of KU, Illinois, DePaul, Memphis and Michigan State.

“We had a great time like all the other visits,” Alexander’s mother, Latillia, said of the Illinois visit to SNY.tv and zagsblog.com. “The coaching staff was great. They really make you feel like a family, and that plays an important part in our decision. I need to know that my son is going to be taken care of on and off the court. He might just be Cliff Alexander to most people, but he’s still my baby.”

Dynamic duo visited Duke: Jahlil Okafor (6-10, Chicago Whitney Young) and Tyus Jones (6-1, Apple Valley, Minn. High), the Nos. 1- and 5-rated players in the Class of 2014, visited Duke over the weekend. “Back home in minny. Had a good visit to Duke, thanks to the fans for showing love,” Jones tweeted. The two visited KU Oct. 18-19.

Robinson ticketed: Former KU forward Thomas Robinson of the Portland Trail Blazers was cited by Portland police for driving his Porsche 107 mph on Interstate 5 on Oct. 25, the Oregonian newspaper reports.

An officer “observed a white 2013 Porsche Panamera traveling at a high rate of speed on the freeway,” Sgt. Pete Simpson, Portland Police Bureau, told the Oregonian. “The officer’s LIDAR would clock the vehicle at 107 MPH in a 55 MPH zone.”

Robinson was cited for violation of the Basic Rule (100-plus mph), which carries a fine of $1,150, Simpson told the paper.

Robinson tweeted on Sunday: “Apologies for that speeding ticket rip city gotta be more careful with watching the speed limit my first and last one tho for sure”

Twins hit jackpot: The Phoenix Suns have picked up the 2014-15 team options on the rookie contracts of former KU players Markieff and Marcus Morris, according to valleyofthesuns.com. Markieff will make $2,989,239 and Marcus $2,943,221 next season. Markieff makes 2,091,840 and Marcus $1,987,320 this season.

Comments

Ashwin Rao 1 year, 1 month ago

Nice to hear about the Morris brothers! Be careful, TRob! Hope no one leaves if they get lesser playing time!

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 1 month ago

Self confirms what we already knew about the lineup.

Cliff to announce on ESPN, uhoh... Hopefully it's not a hat ceremony.

Congrats to the twins! They've worked hard and earned it.

TRob had his accident in Sacro and now 107 in a 55. "Need to watch the speed limit" Hah. I hope that it is your last one TRob. Speeding is one thing, but 107... that's irresponsible and destructive behavior.

Bryce Landon 1 year, 1 month ago

Tomorrow, we will finally be able to set aside our disgust with the football team, if only for a little while, and focus on our basketball team.

Benjamin Jones 1 year, 1 month ago

Does the writer of this headline mean "Kansas hoops lineup BEcoming clear"? I know a headline has to fit the space, but come on!--you can't just lop two letters off a word to make it fit!

Bryce Landon 1 year, 1 month ago

This is the Lawrence Journal-World, not the New York Times.

Gary Bedore 1 year, 1 month ago

Coming clear makes sense to me, Benjamin. It's even alliterative, rolling off the tongue beautifully IMO.

Benjamin Jones 1 year, 1 month ago

Respectfully, in what way does "coming clear" make sense, Gary--other than in the vernacular native-Kansas-speaker sense of, "I am coming clear from Salina to see the game"?

Gary Bedore 1 year, 1 month ago

I got it right away. It's coming clear. I've heard that saying a lot.

Benjamin Jones 1 year, 1 month ago

Uh-huh. Right. It's becoming clear to me that this conversation is going nowhere.

Ben Schwartz 1 year, 1 month ago

'become' is a copular/linking verb for transition of state

'come' is largely used as an intransitive (action) verb

you are possibly thinking of 'come clean' (slang) as the common phrase, Gary 'dream come true' is another exception that is an example of archaic hold-over

the meaning is definitely conveyed and I won't be bothered if the title doesn't change, but I think it is a fair argument that the alliteration doesn't make up for the semantical clash

Jack Wilson 1 year, 1 month ago

Same headline usage as last season .. fyi

Other than these two headlines, I've never see "starting to come clear" used in this way.

Rodney Crain 1 year, 1 month ago

A few days before the first exhibition game and just 4 comments so far on an article like this. Oh how the mighty have fallen...

Robert Brock 1 year, 1 month ago

Has KU ever gotten a recruit when there was a "hat ceremony" involved? On ESPN?

Aaron Paisley 1 year, 1 month ago

I see nothing about a hat ceremony at this point.

Ron Prichard 1 year, 1 month ago

Any indication on when Okafor and Jones are going to announce? I would love Alexander, but I would think if he picked KU that would mean we are out for the duo. I would rather have two than one, but I'm not going to be picky.

Gary Bedore 1 year, 1 month ago

No word yet, Ron. There'd been speculation it might be days after the Duke visit. I've heard it could be a couple weeks, as well.

Jeffery Barrett 1 year, 1 month ago

"If everybody stays healthy — and produces as expected — Kansas University’s starting basketball lineup might not change much during the course of the 2013-14 season."

Uhh, Gary, isn't that every team, every year?

Karen Collier 1 year, 1 month ago

Gary Thank you for your inside KU Basketball article, Very informative. You ask good questions and get great answers.

With all the hype and a young inexperience team I was a little worried, But at the end of the day "or at least this one".

#1 Naddir is our best point guard. " Solid and Consistent". #2 Wiggins is our most athltic player. " Slasher " And can dominate at times. #3 Ellis Best forward, good mid range shot. Great body control and can dominate at times. #4 White best Natural shooting guard, Perimeter defender and can dominate at times. #5 Good rebounding, Defending and spacing will make this season Special.

Jeffery Barrett 1 year, 1 month ago

Wow. Didn't need my glasses for that one.

Gary Bedore 1 year, 1 month ago

Thanks for the words, Karen. I'd say this year's motto for fans should be, "Enjoy the ride." With all these freshmen and another newcomer to the system in Tarik Black, there could be a few bumps along the way. The nonconference schedule has been called the best in the country. Some questions: Can KU beat Duke in Chicago? Can the Jayhawks beat an average field in the 3 games in Bahamas? Can KU split or actually sweep Colorado and Florida on the road in a killer Dec. 7-10 road trip? Can KU take care of Georgetown and SD State at home and New Mexico in Sprint Center? I would say two losses would be a heck of a nonconference campaign. Three is definitely possible. You don't want to lose any more than that heading into the Big 12 which will include two tough games vs. OSU and the usual snakepits on the road. We shall see. How many losses do you folks predict for the noncon? I'll say 2 would be a darn fine performance, though I wouldn't be shocked at 3.

Suzi Marshall 1 year, 1 month ago

I wouldn't be surprised if the Hawks ran the table and went undefeated in the non-com.

Doug Cramer 1 year, 1 month ago

Find it interesting that White's name keeps getting brought up by Coach Self when he's asked to discuss pre-season practices. He must have figured some stuff out.

Regarding the line-up...this is intriguing...because Self normally only plays 8 at the most.

Wonder if Brannen Greene or Connor Frankamp will red shirt. Was looking forward to watching them play...but...the field is crowded.

1. Selden, Tharp, Mason
  2. White III, Frankamp
  3. Wiggins, Greene
  4. Ellis, Traylor, Lucas
  5. Black, Embiid

Not ALL these guys can get significant P.T. Would think 1 or 2 will have to red shirt. It's got to be either Brannen Greene or Frankamp...or both. Maybe even throw Frank Mason in there as well.

Doug Cramer 1 year, 1 month ago

If White makes his way into the starting lineup...I can really see this starting 5 evolve.

1. Selden
  2. White III
  3. Wiggins
  4. Ellis
  5. Black

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 1 month ago

I see no way that Tharpe is not a starter on this team. From everything I've read of Self's comments, he's currently our only capable point guard. However, that is a very intriguing lineup and I wouldn't be surprised to see Self test it out for a few minutes in some of the exhibition/early season games.

Nick Cole 1 year, 1 month ago

No chance Self goes without a true PG in the starting lineup. Selden is not a true PG. And no way White III is in the starting lineup. I believe the lineup in the article above (Tharpe, Selden, Wiggins, Ellis, Black) will be solid for the year. I could see Embiid taking Black's spot as the starter, but they will probably split time pretty evenly depending on the opponent, so that won't really matter much.

Doug Cramer 1 year, 1 month ago

Jon and Nick - From people that attended the Late Night Scrimage...there was a ton of discussion regarding Selden's amazing ability to run the point.

If this is true...then lets bring Tharp off the bench. Sure Tharp has the experience...but he's not going to get us to a final four. I could be wrong...and hope I am...but thats my opinion. He wasn't even close to having that ability last year...otherwise Self would have played him in the final minutes of the Mich game.

Gary Bedore 1 year, 1 month ago

Tharpe did play at the end of the Michigan game. He was the poor guy who had to throw up a three-pointer at the buzzer after Elijah's head-scratching pass that left poor Naadir trying to sink a 30 footer. I'm surprised he even drew iron.

Gary Bedore 1 year, 1 month ago

The edit button is missing. I should say it was a miracle Naadir was even able to release a shot in time considering the horrific pass by Elijah in that situation. I didn't mean to imply Naadir is a bad shooter or something.

Jay Reynolds 1 year, 1 month ago

Tharpe missed the last shot in regulation against Michigan too. Not just the one at the end of overtime. It's weird that people keep saying Self should've had Tharpe in at the end of that game. He was in!

Benjamin Jones 1 year, 1 month ago

Tharpe would have gotten us to a Final Four last year, had he been allowed to lead the team at the end of the Michigan game. Best ballhandler, best free-thrower on the team. Would have sealed that game.

Aaron Paisley 1 year, 1 month ago

Naadir Tharpe is starting, period end of story. Bill Self has already said multiple times that he will not play Selden at PG early in the season because he does not want to overwhelm Selden. Self has also said Selden may play Selden at PG a little later in the season, but he will not start Selden at PG baring any injuries.

Ian Emerson 1 year, 1 month ago

Considering that Selden is looking to play point in the nba I see him being used in a more facilitative role than 2 guards in years past. God we are so athletic compared to last years head is going to explode. Who would have saw us having this team in 11-12

Justin Steele 1 year, 1 month ago

BREAKING NEWS Wayne Selden is not a Point Guard and most likely will play the Two in college and the NBA. Dwayne Wades true height is like 6'3 1/2, so he could very well play the Two in the NBA. Whew now thats done maybe I watched a different Jayhawks team last year but Naadir saved our tales from EJ on more than one occasion, and I think he will be the only reason we would be able to make it to the Final Four not the reason we wouldn't! HCBS has always had a strong PG to run the team and set up the D, that will be Naadir this year! In my humble opinion he will be the X factor this year he will be the guy not scared to take that last shot, or get in someones face (from a step stool) and his penetration will be vital to setting up shooters and slashers. Im a big fan of Naadir's and I hope KU fans don't jump ship if he has bad quarter or game! he will be the QB of this team so he will need our support! and the only other starting job that is even up for grabs is JoJo will be the starting Center when he's ready other than that there set?

Gary Bedore 1 year, 1 month ago

Naadir should be fine. I know Self has been impressed with him so far this preseason. The newcomers currently have the "unknown" on their side. It's always intriguing to think about the unknown players, especially when Self conceded that Selden can play some point and has brought it up some. Self also has said Wayne's not ready for that, so if Wayne is truly a one and done, he probably won't play a lot of point here, unless Naadir, Mason and Conner have horrible seasons.

Tom Keegan 1 year, 1 month ago

Plus, With any lineup I think a relevant question is: Who is the second-best ball-handler. If Selden doesn't play point that doesn't mean he's not a point guard. It can also mean that if he's the point there isn't enough ball-handling on the court with him. If he's the shooting guard, you'll always have two good ball-handlers on the floor.

Asad Zoberi 1 year, 1 month ago

Mason will be Tharpe's back up at PG. I don't see him red shirting. I can see Conner or Greene but most likely CF as red shirt candidate.

And I will be very surprised if Tharpe is not the starting PG. He has the experience and has improved tremendously over the years. There were several games last year where Tharpe was the X factor, especially the road win at OSU. Without that win we would not have won the Big 12 Championship.

Teejay Roden 1 year, 1 month ago

I suspect a lot of us are not really thinking this PG thing all the way through. Unlike last year, most of Bill Self's teams have not had a clearly defined point person. In fact the 2008 championship team had at least two, three if you count Mario. Self's guards have been largely interchangeable; last year was the exception, not the rule and even then EJ and Nadir were often on the floor together. I shudder at the thought of Selden developing PG skills with everything else that he has going on.

Teejay Roden 1 year, 1 month ago

And for what it's worth I think we have next to zero chance at Jones and Okafor, and a pretty good shot at Alexander and Turner. But then again, I thought we had no shot at Wiggins so what do I know?

Jack Wilson 1 year, 1 month ago

Good lord .. Tharpe is the point guard.

Self has always had a clearly defined point guard. Miles, Robinson, Collins, Tyshawn, EJ. A guy that is 90% of the time the main ball handler. The combo guard thing is a myth. Chalmers could handle the point. Tyshawn could handle the point when Collins was there. Guys that could handle the point, playing the two.

This speculation on Selden as a point guard is because we wish Selden was a point guard. It seems enticing. It is fantasy.

The only real comment Self has had on Selden as a point guard is that he could do it in an emergency. An emergency might be Mason flaming out, Tharpe being injured, etc. Or a few possessions a game.

Teejay Roden 1 year, 1 month ago

Miles was Roys guy. A number of the people you cited actually did play together.

Erich Hartmann 1 year, 1 month ago

Yes, Tharpe is the primary ball handler. Will be interesting to see how much raw ability Mason & Frankamp (& Selden...) show with ball handling. Self's comment on Mason being "an instant change of pace" makes me think the kid could be a Sherron-lite type of player, although not a MickeyD. Will be watching all...

Martin Rosenblum 1 year, 1 month ago

So, it looks like with the decline in comments, Gary and Tom are resorting to responding to comments more frequently and making comments themselves. Or, they are communicating with each other here in order to boost the volume of comments. How sad!

Gary Bedore 1 year, 1 month ago

Not sad, Martin. I've always said I was willing to comment to real people with real names. Now that there are real people, I'm naturally willing to express myself. I'll only post if I know who I'm speaking to. I don't go for anonymity.

Brian Stoops 1 year, 1 month ago

So you'll write articles to anyone who reads 'em.

But you'll only post comments to real people with real names.....

got it.

Gary Bedore 1 year, 1 month ago

What's so hard to understand about that, Brian. Why would I try to have a conversation with someone with a fake name? I'll write a story for anybody who is kind enough to read it.

Brian Stoops 1 year, 1 month ago

Remind me again, Who's trying to have a conversation with you?

All I can remember is a couple of occasions where people questioned the accuracy of the recruiting information you wrote about.

Not to say that people haven't directed questions your way from time to time, but the majority of posts from the community were back and forth between the community.

Now that you guys have destroyed the community, you write articles and do the majority of posting on them. And, according to you, this makes the J-W better off?

You guys have sabotaged, in my mind, the best KU basketball community out there.

What's so hard to understand about that, Gary?

Jay Reynolds 1 year, 1 month ago

I love your articles, Gary, but--please, please, please--get out of the comments. These aren't real people. You replied to a "real" guy named Mike Rotchurtz. Say that out loud a couple of times.

I hope these past couple of weeks are just an experiment to find out how idiotic the supposed non-anonymous Facebook verification is, because otherwise you and LJW management are being played for fools.

Talk to "Mike:" http://www2.kusports.com/news/2013/oc...

Gary Bedore 1 year, 1 month ago

I may get out of the comments as I did last time after experimenting with commenting for a while in search of good discussion about KU basketball, but if I do, it's not cause I'm being played as a "fool." I'm no fool. Jesse can continue to kill the fake people's handles as they become evident. If someone has time on their hands to make fake Facebook accounts just to post here and try to get childish playground laughs, ha ha, good for them. No matter what happens with comments, the J-W is a winner because people in theory have to identify themselves now. All news organizations that require real names are winners. If people want to circumvent the rules for playground laughs, good for them. They are the true "fools" IMO.

Jay Reynolds 1 year, 1 month ago

Welcome to the internet, Gary. People have a lot of time (five minutes is about all it would take). This will not end well, but it may end quickly.

Just keep working hard and tossing out great stories for us from the local perspective. You, Jesse, Matt and--ok, even Keegan--are our lifeline to the inside scoop.

If, as I expect, the online J-W doesn't stay free, offer a reasonable online subscription option. My hometown paper, (Knoxville News Sentinel) essentially lopped off their hard-core nationwide sports junkies by only providing an online pay plan that matched the local daily home delivery. Your bean counters have the math, but I think 1000 people @ $1.99/month compared to 10 @ $12.99/month makes sense.

My 2 cents.

Lacy Mohler 1 year, 1 month ago

I came on to post just out of curiosity. Wanted to give it a try. I've had a FB account since 2007 and it is totally bogus.

So looking forward to the game tomorrow. Will completely enjoy the ride this year as I do every year. RCJH.

Brian Stoops 1 year, 1 month ago

"In search of good discussion ......."

Good luck, you guys destroyed that.

"No matter what happens with comments, the J-W is a winner ........"

Did you really just say that?

Someone at the "J-W" really needs to reel you in, Gary - you appear to be coming un-wound.

The Gary count is already at 9 comments to this article, his own, When will it stop?

Gary Bedore 1 year, 1 month ago

Of course I said that. I meant that. It was a fair statement.

Ben Schwartz 1 year, 1 month ago

As much as I don't want to contribute to derailing this article, I simply don't understand the collective J-W view on internet anonymity.

With all due respect Gary, you mention that "all news organizations that require real names are winners," but what leads you to that conclusion? CNN.com is the highest ranked news-specific website on the Alexa top US sites, and they allow registered handles. Youtube, Twitter, Imgur, and Tumblr all allow registered handles. Anonymous user-content sites like Reddit and 4chan are some of the most current (albeit unreliable) news sources today. Facebook and ESPN are the two major players with required real names off the top of my head, and the general consensus I have gathered is unfavorable for both identity policies.

The argument really boils down to the virtues of detached expression versus the disorder and how being anonymous empowers creative expression, both good and bad.
Seemingly every week a worldwide sensation is born via a site like Youtube, the large majority of which are referred to by a pen-name or moniker of some sort. Most are not afraid of their name being known after the fact, but to facilitate expression they had to be an an anonymous entity first. Being anonymous is part of internet culture, and the creative expression really does outweigh the trouble... especially on a site like KUsports. I have yet to see a 'troll' or abusive user here that holds a candle to the norm on the rest of the web. So to have this policy now seems beyond ludicrous.
It seems most likely someone on the J-W staff was personally insulted and wants to prove a point or the decision was driven by revenue... I just refuse to believe you are all so misguided.

You have our IPs (it can be spoofed but not by most casual users), you can require real names during registration (some users were already using handles that alluded to their real names), text-based validation, you can even hire or recruit volunteers as moderators, but your choice was to force us to tag our comments about a common HOBBY with our professional names (or fake it against your terms of service). The editors are the professionals on this site, we are the voice of the public.

PS - How is it even possible to moderate based on Facebook identity? I did not have a Facebook account and I created one with no friends and no intent of using it simply to post here. You have my real name from it, but that could have just as easily been obtained with KUsports user registration.

At least just keep up the quality KUsports content.

Brian Stoops 1 year, 1 month ago

"It seems most likely someone on the J-W staff was personally insulted and wants to prove a point...."

This is EXACTLY what I've been thinking all along.

All your points are right on, Ben. Well written comment.

Martin Rosenblum 1 year, 1 month ago

Advertisers are monitoring traffic wherever they place their ads. Other media, such as radio and TV have a haeder time determining their audiences. If there once were 80-100+ comments made within a 48 hour window on this site, with one article, it would probably be more likely to please advertisers than only 40-50. Let's get real, there is advertising being sold here and they probably don't need to see the staff of LJW repeatedly being part of the viewership volume, at least as a measurable percentage of a declining number.

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 1 month ago

advertisers don't really care about the number of comments as much as the number of page views.

Every page view is an ad view. This site probably has lost very little in terms of page views, even with the decline in comments.

Martin Rosenblum 1 year, 1 month ago

I doubt if all of the missing characters still visit with regularity if they are not posting.

Ron Prichard 1 year, 1 month ago

I'm going to throw my two cents in on the new user policy debate. First, I couldn't agree more with Ben Schwartz (if that is even his real name) above. Absolutely spot on. Second, don't begrudge Gary or Matt or Jesse (or maybe even Keegan) for the policy and their views on it. I have to believe this decision was made at a level above their heads. If so, you can't expect any of them to come on here and bash the decision. Publicly disagreeing with your employer on a controversial decision is no way to keep a job. Regardless of whether or not Gary, Matt or Jesse privately agree or disagree with the decision to require "real" names, they would almost certainly agree with the policy from a public standpoint. And have you ever thought that a couple of them may have posted on here frequently under aliases and you simply didn't know it? It could be that they have been here all along and you never knew.

Anyway, the policy sucks but don't blame the writers. I would guess if you could talk to them privately they would agree. Maybe not, but it is a thought.

Ben Schwartz 1 year ago

Valid points. I didn't mean to imply I am blaming the writers if that is what it seemed like. They are our connection to the J-W here since we get to interact with them, so questions about the company do tend to go through them in some capacity. Also, maybe I am misinterpreting, but so far the message that the J-W writers have conveyed to us is kind of an 'avoid the topic/reader opinion doesn't matter/deal with it' approach.
It was presumably a decision over their heads, and I assume the PR approach was dictated for them as well (like you noted).

You bring up an interesting point with the alias bit, and I actually wanted to touch on it in my original post but forgot. It is very possible the writers had poster aliases, but even more interesting musing is if Bill Self or any other significant personalities in KU Athletics ever posted under an alias. It isn't very likely at all, but it is still significantly less likely under the new policy.

One last thing pertaining to my original post: Using Jaybate as an example for sake of notoriety, the beauty of the internet is none of us really cared what Jaybate's real name was. Sure, we are probably curious about how the entity we knew as Jaybate functioned in daily life, but the online entity was always our primary reference. We came to know Jaybate as an enigma, not a person. The opinion is all that mattered, not the person. Even if Jaybate posted under a real name, the enigma simply cannot exist anymore and whether you liked his/her posts or not, that principle is a shame.

It is almost like knowing the secret to a magic trick, it really doesn't make for a better show. (That might be a bad example, but I am posting it anyways)

Rock Chalk Basketball Season