Monday, October 28, 2013

Bill Self: Kansas hoops lineup coming clear

Hunter Lavallie, 11, of Lawrence shows off his dance moves as he competes, and eventually beats, Kansas basketball player Naadir Tharpe in a game of Dance Dance Revolution, Sunday afternoon at Abe & Jake's Landing. The event was part of an equipment drive put on by Bill and Cindy Self's Assists Foundation.

photo

photo

Kansas basketball player Justin Wesley pushes off Niko Roberts as they play an impromptu game of one-on-one with a mini basketball Sunday afternoon at Abe & Jake's Landing.

“You would think that Tarik (Black), Perry (Ellis), Wayne (Selden), Andrew (Wiggins) and Naadir (Tharpe) would probably have a head start on everybody, because that’s kind of how we’ve viewed it, and that’s kind of how they’ve been since the first day,” KU coach Bill Self said Sunday at his Assists Foundation’s Fall Festival and Equipment Drive at Abe & Jake’s Landing.

“There’s other guys out there fighting hard.”

Barring some surprise, one senior (Black), one junior (Tharpe), one sophomore (Ellis) and two freshmen (Selden, Wiggins) will start Tuesday’s 7 p.m. exhibition opener against Pittsburg State.

“Don’t read into it who starts in our exhibition games. That to us is another practice, but obviously a choreographed practice,” Self noted.

Asked if anybody has been dominating the closed scrimmages that have been held since the open scrimmage on Oct. 19, Self said: “Obviously, Andrew (Wiggins) has had his moments. Andrew White has had his moments. Joel (Embiid) and Perry ... all of ’em have had their moments,” Self said. “Naadir has been consistent. I like our team a lot. I don’t think we’re close to putting it together though, not even close.

“I do think the pieces fit. We haven’t figured out how to put ’em together just quite yet. Guys are fighting for minutes. I know we’re looking forward to playing against somebody else.”

Self’s continued praise of Andrew White III puts to rest any thoughts out there that the 6-foot-6 sophomore guard from Richmond, Va., might red-shirt this season.

“Andrew’s going to play. I can’t imagine him not playing,” Self said. “I think he’s worked so hard. He’s been one of our most consistent performers, without question.”

The only veteran to red-shirt this season will be newcomer Hunter Mickelson, who can practice but not play in games in accordance with NCAA transfer rules. He played at Arkansas two seasons.

KU’s six freshmen can play in the two exhibition games and still be red-shirt candidates in accordance with NCAA rules. Any veteran that plays in an exhibition cannot be red-shirted.

“I don’t know what we’re going to do yet. We still have about 10 more days to try to figure it out,” Self said of the possibility of meeting with a freshman about sitting out a year to get a fifth year down the line.

Of the status of the six freshmen heading into Tuesday’s practice game, Self said: “Yeah, they’ll all play. I don’t know how much, though. Everybody is so young, we need to get them all up there (in game situations).”

Self, who didn’t push the players hard the first week or so of the NCAA’s new, expanded season, which opened on Sept. 27, said things have picked up of late.

“We’ve got a lot of stuff to get in,” Self said. “We’ve got to get real serious. We’ve got, I guess, a legitimate 10, 11 days before we need to have the majority of our stuff in. We’re not going to have it all in when we play our first game (against Louisiana Monroe, Nov. 8).

“Hopefully we’ll get something out of our exhibition game Tuesday. Hopefully we’ll play well and get some confidence and really have a serious week, not so much getting after them, but as far as getting in a lot of things that have to be gotten in before we play our first game.”

Equipment-drive fun: More than 100 youths played interactive games with the Jayhawks, posed for pictures and landed autographs at Sunday’s event for Bill and Cindy Self’s Assists Foundation. All equipment brought by fans will be donated to the Boys and Girls Club.

“We’ve got some games I think our players are enjoying playing more than the actual kiddos,” Self said. Stations were held where youths and the Jayhawks fired baseballs through targets and also competed in Pop-A-Shot and Dance Dance, Revolution. “The biggest thing is getting equipment to give away to kids through the Boys and Girls club. Hopefully then they’ll become more active and do some things they wouldn’t have been able to do. A lot of equipment has come in today.”

Tharpe said he enjoyed competing against the youths in the dance game.

“I love being around the kids all the time. Just for them to be able to see basketball players up close, people they look up to, is great. They’re trying to get competitive. It’s fun,” Tharpe said.

“It’s great coach is doing something for the kids of the community. Everybody is coming together as a team, and it’s good for us to get together as a unit and do something like this. It’s a great atmosphere,” Tharpe added.

Noted freshman Brannen Greene: “It’s cool being able to interact with the little kids. What else would I be doing on a Sunday? It’s fun.”

Cliff notes: Cliff Alexander, a 6-8 senior from Chicago’s Curie High, has switched his decision date from Nov. 16 to Nov. 15, Zagsblog.com reports. He will announce on ESPN. No. 4-rated Alexander, who visited Illinois last weekend, has a list of KU, Illinois, DePaul, Memphis and Michigan State.

“We had a great time like all the other visits,” Alexander’s mother, Latillia, said of the Illinois visit to SNY.tv and zagsblog.com. “The coaching staff was great. They really make you feel like a family, and that plays an important part in our decision. I need to know that my son is going to be taken care of on and off the court. He might just be Cliff Alexander to most people, but he’s still my baby.”

Dynamic duo visited Duke: Jahlil Okafor (6-10, Chicago Whitney Young) and Tyus Jones (6-1, Apple Valley, Minn. High), the Nos. 1- and 5-rated players in the Class of 2014, visited Duke over the weekend. “Back home in minny. Had a good visit to Duke, thanks to the fans for showing love,” Jones tweeted. The two visited KU Oct. 18-19.

Robinson ticketed: Former KU forward Thomas Robinson of the Portland Trail Blazers was cited by Portland police for driving his Porsche 107 mph on Interstate 5 on Oct. 25, the Oregonian newspaper reports.

An officer “observed a white 2013 Porsche Panamera traveling at a high rate of speed on the freeway,” Sgt. Pete Simpson, Portland Police Bureau, told the Oregonian. “The officer’s LIDAR would clock the vehicle at 107 MPH in a 55 MPH zone.”

Robinson was cited for violation of the Basic Rule (100-plus mph), which carries a fine of $1,150, Simpson told the paper.

Robinson tweeted on Sunday: “Apologies for that speeding ticket rip city gotta be more careful with watching the speed limit my first and last one tho for sure”

Twins hit jackpot: The Phoenix Suns have picked up the 2014-15 team options on the rookie contracts of former KU players Markieff and Marcus Morris, according to valleyofthesuns.com. Markieff will make $2,989,239 and Marcus $2,943,221 next season. Markieff makes 2,091,840 and Marcus $1,987,320 this season.

Comments

Ron Prichard 5 months, 2 weeks ago

I'm going to throw my two cents in on the new user policy debate. First, I couldn't agree more with Ben Schwartz (if that is even his real name) above. Absolutely spot on. Second, don't begrudge Gary or Matt or Jesse (or maybe even Keegan) for the policy and their views on it. I have to believe this decision was made at a level above their heads. If so, you can't expect any of them to come on here and bash the decision. Publicly disagreeing with your employer on a controversial decision is no way to keep a job. Regardless of whether or not Gary, Matt or Jesse privately agree or disagree with the decision to require "real" names, they would almost certainly agree with the policy from a public standpoint. And have you ever thought that a couple of them may have posted on here frequently under aliases and you simply didn't know it? It could be that they have been here all along and you never knew.

Anyway, the policy sucks but don't blame the writers. I would guess if you could talk to them privately they would agree. Maybe not, but it is a thought.

Martin Rosenblum 5 months, 2 weeks ago

I doubt if all of the missing characters still visit with regularity if they are not posting.

Martin Rosenblum 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Advertisers are monitoring traffic wherever they place their ads. Other media, such as radio and TV have a haeder time determining their audiences. If there once were 80-100+ comments made within a 48 hour window on this site, with one article, it would probably be more likely to please advertisers than only 40-50. Let's get real, there is advertising being sold here and they probably don't need to see the staff of LJW repeatedly being part of the viewership volume, at least as a measurable percentage of a declining number.

Ben Schwartz 5 months, 3 weeks ago

As much as I don't want to contribute to derailing this article, I simply don't understand the collective J-W view on internet anonymity.

With all due respect Gary, you mention that "all news organizations that require real names are winners," but what leads you to that conclusion? CNN.com is the highest ranked news-specific website on the Alexa top US sites, and they allow registered handles. Youtube, Twitter, Imgur, and Tumblr all allow registered handles. Anonymous user-content sites like Reddit and 4chan are some of the most current (albeit unreliable) news sources today. Facebook and ESPN are the two major players with required real names off the top of my head, and the general consensus I have gathered is unfavorable for both identity policies.

The argument really boils down to the virtues of detached expression versus the disorder and how being anonymous empowers creative expression, both good and bad.
Seemingly every week a worldwide sensation is born via a site like Youtube, the large majority of which are referred to by a pen-name or moniker of some sort. Most are not afraid of their name being known after the fact, but to facilitate expression they had to be an an anonymous entity first. Being anonymous is part of internet culture, and the creative expression really does outweigh the trouble... especially on a site like KUsports. I have yet to see a 'troll' or abusive user here that holds a candle to the norm on the rest of the web. So to have this policy now seems beyond ludicrous.
It seems most likely someone on the J-W staff was personally insulted and wants to prove a point or the decision was driven by revenue... I just refuse to believe you are all so misguided.

You have our IPs (it can be spoofed but not by most casual users), you can require real names during registration (some users were already using handles that alluded to their real names), text-based validation, you can even hire or recruit volunteers as moderators, but your choice was to force us to tag our comments about a common HOBBY with our professional names (or fake it against your terms of service). The editors are the professionals on this site, we are the voice of the public.

PS - How is it even possible to moderate based on Facebook identity? I did not have a Facebook account and I created one with no friends and no intent of using it simply to post here. You have my real name from it, but that could have just as easily been obtained with KUsports user registration.

At least just keep up the quality KUsports content.

Gary Bedore 5 months, 3 weeks ago

Of course I said that. I meant that. It was a fair statement.

Brian Stoops 5 months, 3 weeks ago

"In search of good discussion ......."

Good luck, you guys destroyed that.

"No matter what happens with comments, the J-W is a winner ........"

Did you really just say that?

Someone at the "J-W" really needs to reel you in, Gary - you appear to be coming un-wound.

The Gary count is already at 9 comments to this article, his own, When will it stop?

Lacy Mohler 5 months, 3 weeks ago

I came on to post just out of curiosity. Wanted to give it a try. I've had a FB account since 2007 and it is totally bogus.

So looking forward to the game tomorrow. Will completely enjoy the ride this year as I do every year. RCJH.

Gary Bedore 5 months, 3 weeks ago

I may get out of the comments as I did last time after experimenting with commenting for a while in search of good discussion about KU basketball, but if I do, it's not cause I'm being played as a "fool." I'm no fool. Jesse can continue to kill the fake people's handles as they become evident. If someone has time on their hands to make fake Facebook accounts just to post here and try to get childish playground laughs, ha ha, good for them. No matter what happens with comments, the J-W is a winner because people in theory have to identify themselves now. All news organizations that require real names are winners. If people want to circumvent the rules for playground laughs, good for them. They are the true "fools" IMO.

Gary Bedore 5 months, 3 weeks ago

Not sad, Martin. I've always said I was willing to comment to real people with real names. Now that there are real people, I'm naturally willing to express myself. I'll only post if I know who I'm speaking to. I don't go for anonymity.

Martin Rosenblum 5 months, 3 weeks ago

So, it looks like with the decline in comments, Gary and Tom are resorting to responding to comments more frequently and making comments themselves. Or, they are communicating with each other here in order to boost the volume of comments. How sad!

Jack Wilson 5 months, 3 weeks ago

Good lord .. Tharpe is the point guard.

Self has always had a clearly defined point guard. Miles, Robinson, Collins, Tyshawn, EJ. A guy that is 90% of the time the main ball handler. The combo guard thing is a myth. Chalmers could handle the point. Tyshawn could handle the point when Collins was there. Guys that could handle the point, playing the two.

This speculation on Selden as a point guard is because we wish Selden was a point guard. It seems enticing. It is fantasy.

The only real comment Self has had on Selden as a point guard is that he could do it in an emergency. An emergency might be Mason flaming out, Tharpe being injured, etc. Or a few possessions a game.

Teejay Roden 5 months, 3 weeks ago

And for what it's worth I think we have next to zero chance at Jones and Okafor, and a pretty good shot at Alexander and Turner. But then again, I thought we had no shot at Wiggins so what do I know?

Teejay Roden 5 months, 3 weeks ago

I suspect a lot of us are not really thinking this PG thing all the way through. Unlike last year, most of Bill Self's teams have not had a clearly defined point person. In fact the 2008 championship team had at least two, three if you count Mario. Self's guards have been largely interchangeable; last year was the exception, not the rule and even then EJ and Nadir were often on the floor together. I shudder at the thought of Selden developing PG skills with everything else that he has going on.

Asad Zoberi 5 months, 3 weeks ago

Mason will be Tharpe's back up at PG. I don't see him red shirting. I can see Conner or Greene but most likely CF as red shirt candidate.

And I will be very surprised if Tharpe is not the starting PG. He has the experience and has improved tremendously over the years. There were several games last year where Tharpe was the X factor, especially the road win at OSU. Without that win we would not have won the Big 12 Championship.

Gary Bedore 5 months, 3 weeks ago

Naadir should be fine. I know Self has been impressed with him so far this preseason. The newcomers currently have the "unknown" on their side. It's always intriguing to think about the unknown players, especially when Self conceded that Selden can play some point and has brought it up some. Self also has said Wayne's not ready for that, so if Wayne is truly a one and done, he probably won't play a lot of point here, unless Naadir, Mason and Conner have horrible seasons.

Justin Steele 5 months, 3 weeks ago

BREAKING NEWS Wayne Selden is not a Point Guard and most likely will play the Two in college and the NBA. Dwayne Wades true height is like 6'3 1/2, so he could very well play the Two in the NBA. Whew now thats done maybe I watched a different Jayhawks team last year but Naadir saved our tales from EJ on more than one occasion, and I think he will be the only reason we would be able to make it to the Final Four not the reason we wouldn't! HCBS has always had a strong PG to run the team and set up the D, that will be Naadir this year! In my humble opinion he will be the X factor this year he will be the guy not scared to take that last shot, or get in someones face (from a step stool) and his penetration will be vital to setting up shooters and slashers. Im a big fan of Naadir's and I hope KU fans don't jump ship if he has bad quarter or game! he will be the QB of this team so he will need our support! and the only other starting job that is even up for grabs is JoJo will be the starting Center when he's ready other than that there set?

Ian Emerson 5 months, 3 weeks ago

Considering that Selden is looking to play point in the nba I see him being used in a more facilitative role than 2 guards in years past. God we are so athletic compared to last years head is going to explode. Who would have saw us having this team in 11-12

Doug Cramer 5 months, 3 weeks ago

If White makes his way into the starting lineup...I can really see this starting 5 evolve.

1. Selden
  2. White III
  3. Wiggins
  4. Ellis
  5. Black

Doug Cramer 5 months, 3 weeks ago

Find it interesting that White's name keeps getting brought up by Coach Self when he's asked to discuss pre-season practices. He must have figured some stuff out.

Regarding the line-up...this is intriguing...because Self normally only plays 8 at the most.

Wonder if Brannen Greene or Connor Frankamp will red shirt. Was looking forward to watching them play...but...the field is crowded.

1. Selden, Tharp, Mason
  2. White III, Frankamp
  3. Wiggins, Greene
  4. Ellis, Traylor, Lucas
  5. Black, Embiid

Not ALL these guys can get significant P.T. Would think 1 or 2 will have to red shirt. It's got to be either Brannen Greene or Frankamp...or both. Maybe even throw Frank Mason in there as well.

Karen Collier 5 months, 3 weeks ago

Gary Thank you for your inside KU Basketball article, Very informative. You ask good questions and get great answers.

With all the hype and a young inexperience team I was a little worried, But at the end of the day "or at least this one".

#1 Naddir is our best point guard. " Solid and Consistent". #2 Wiggins is our most athltic player. " Slasher " And can dominate at times. #3 Ellis Best forward, good mid range shot. Great body control and can dominate at times. #4 White best Natural shooting guard, Perimeter defender and can dominate at times. #5 Good rebounding, Defending and spacing will make this season Special.

Jeffery Barrett 5 months, 3 weeks ago

"If everybody stays healthy — and produces as expected — Kansas University’s starting basketball lineup might not change much during the course of the 2013-14 season."

Uhh, Gary, isn't that every team, every year?

Ron Prichard 5 months, 3 weeks ago

Any indication on when Okafor and Jones are going to announce? I would love Alexander, but I would think if he picked KU that would mean we are out for the duo. I would rather have two than one, but I'm not going to be picky.

Robert Brock 5 months, 3 weeks ago

Has KU ever gotten a recruit when there was a "hat ceremony" involved? On ESPN?

Rodney Crain 5 months, 3 weeks ago

A few days before the first exhibition game and just 4 comments so far on an article like this. Oh how the mighty have fallen...

Benjamin Jones 5 months, 3 weeks ago

Does the writer of this headline mean "Kansas hoops lineup BEcoming clear"? I know a headline has to fit the space, but come on!--you can't just lop two letters off a word to make it fit!

Bryce Landon 5 months, 3 weeks ago

Tomorrow, we will finally be able to set aside our disgust with the football team, if only for a little while, and focus on our basketball team.

Jonathan Allison 5 months, 3 weeks ago

Self confirms what we already knew about the lineup.

Cliff to announce on ESPN, uhoh... Hopefully it's not a hat ceremony.

Congrats to the twins! They've worked hard and earned it.

TRob had his accident in Sacro and now 107 in a 55. "Need to watch the speed limit" Hah. I hope that it is your last one TRob. Speeding is one thing, but 107... that's irresponsible and destructive behavior.

Ashwin Rao 5 months, 3 weeks ago

Nice to hear about the Morris brothers! Be careful, TRob! Hope no one leaves if they get lesser playing time!