Kansas defeats Towson, 88-58

• 7 p.m., Nov. 22, 2013
  • Allen Fieldhouse, Lawrence, KS

Friday, November 22, 2013

Kansas unstoppable in rout of Towson

Kansas guard Andrew Wiggins delivers a dunk past Towson forward John Davis during the first half on Friday, Nov. 22, 2013 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Bill Self says Friday's 88-58 win over Towson was first time all year team's looked athletic

KU men's basketball coach Bill Self talks about his team's offensive onslaught after 88-58 win over Towson.

Download podcast

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Tarik Black, Andrew Wiggins & Joel Embiid discuss playing fast and having fun after 30-point win.

Download podcast

Kansas 88, Towson 58

Box score

Nobody was talking about an undefeated season or anything crazy like that after Kansas University’s fourth basketball victory of the 2013-14 campaign — Friday’s 88-58 taming of Towson in Allen Fieldhouse.

The Jayhawks players, and coach Bill Self, were impressed enough, however, to concede that this has the makings of one special squad.

“When we are playing our game, no one can stop us,” KU freshman guard Andrew Wiggins said after scoring 16 points off 6-of-8 shooting and grabbing seven rebounds. He had 14 points the first half as KU cruised to a 49-16 lead.

“When we play in the flow of the game, no one can stop us. We have too many tools, too many weapons to use, especially when we are all playing well. Hitting shots like we were today and playing unselfish, no one can stop us,” Wiggins added.

KU had four players in double figures on a night no Jayhawk took more than eight shots. Andrew White III hit three threes in four tries and had 13 points; Wayne Selden 12 and Perry Ellis 10. Joel Embiid had eight points and eight boards on a night the (4-0) Jayhawks hit 60 percent of their shots to (3-2) Towson’s 36.7 percent.

KU outrebounded Towson, 40-28, and held the Tigers to 5-of-22 three-point shooting.

The Jayhawks had all the flashy plays, ramming eight dunks to Towson’s none.

“Potentially we could be one of the better teams without question,” Self said when informed Towson coach Pat Skerry said he can’t imagine a better team out there than No. 2-ranked KU.

“It was nice of Pat to say that. He caught us on a night we were better than we’ve practiced and played. By the end, if our young kids keep getting better, I think we’ll have a chance to be in the conversation. There are a lot of nice teams out there. Certainly when we play and play with energy, we can be one of the better ones,” Self added.

Senior power forward Tarik Black, who set the tone with two early dunks (in helping KU open with an 11-5 lead) said: “We have eight, nine new guys on this team. We are not going to be a perfectly flowing team. We will not be as flowing as some teams that have guys that returned, but we are looking very good. We are one of the top teams in the country and we deserve it. We are going to continue to work hard and try to move forward.”

Black, a 6-9, 260-pound transfer from Memphis who had picked up a pair of fouls in the opening minutes of KU’s first three games, this time had a steal and one-hand slam, giving KU a 6-5 lead at 17:11. He downed a dunk off a lob from Naadir Tharpe to make it 11-5.

“It felt real good because of the momentum thing,” Black said of his first dunk off his drive to the goal. “It got everything going. It’s what sparked everything. The next play, Wayne came down and had a two-hand dunk (and foul shot, following feed from Tharpe) . It gets everything flowing. It’s the energy and fun we want to have as a team this year.”

Black had four points and two boards in eight minutes the initial half, finishing with six points and four boards in 15 minutes.

“Coach (Kurtis) Townsend talked to me. He told me the thing about it is just be an aggressive player, because a guy like me, I’m going to pick up fouls, especially with the (new) rules this year. The whole team had fouls tonight,” Black said. Towson hit nine of 18 free throws to KU’s 15 of 22. “At the end of the night I had foul trouble (four). He (Townsend) told me, ‘Don’t be nervous. Don’t be shaky out there. That’s when you attract fouls. That’s when the refs will say, yeah (he’s committing a foul).’ If I come out there and play intense and high energy, then some things will shift.”

Self said Black, “is an angles guy and power guy. He did some active things tonight. He still got two quick fouls (second with 8:04 left in half). I thought one was cheap, but he’s a good player. It was good to see him get off the ‘schneid’ so to speak.”

And to finally have some fun as a Jayhawk.

“It felt great,” Black said. “As a basketball player, I don’t plan on coming out every night and sitting on the sideline, not at all. It felt good to be out there on the court doing what I love to do.”

KU will next meet Wake Forest in a Battle 4 Atlantis quarterfinal at 2:30 p.m., Central time, Thursday in Bahamas.

Comments

Ben Schwartz 5 months ago

Someone mentioned in the live blog that they were surprised Black's two-handed throw-down to start the second half didn't put a hole in the hardwood.

Seriously though, look how high the ball rebounds after it hits the floor: http://youtu.be/ntecwVHqKIE?t=1m3s

Rodney Crain 5 months ago

I am thinking about renaming my dog to "OH YEAHHHH!!!" since I tend to scream this out loud a lot when I am watching them play this year.

Dirk Medema 5 months ago

The discouraging aspect of the game came late in the 2nd half. Brannen Greene started playing like a cross between Rio Adams and CJ Henry - the "Hey notice me and my amazing ability" game instead of running the offense. Someone needs help him understand that Coach already knows how good he is, but what will get him PT is Coach's confidence in his ability to run the offense and defense as it has been design and very successfully implemented.

Grouch Lives 5 months ago

Last night was the first time Wiggins was able to join the post-game interview. He was a joy! While I can't quote him at the moment, he made it clear he's a pretty good defender. A friend and I were laughing that he had a bit of "Mike" in him. One thing that was noticeable was that his shoulders were as large as Black's. They are massive! It was the first time that I could see how the NBA, physically, is so excited about this kid. My family has seen several NBA games the last few years, and been fortunate to be up close to many of today's stars, and I can say that when you add another three inches to this kids arms, he will have a body like Lebron's. If the personality that he showed in the press conference starts to break through into the games, look out. We may see a hawk explode for some massive point outings and defensive shutdowns. If we want to beat OkS, Wiggins needs to play Smart the whole night, no pun intended. He will lock him down.

Joseph Bullock 5 months ago

TRUBLUE here. Coach Self will use the depth they have, especially with the new rules. It did seem, however, in watching the game, and all of the off ball stuff, that the refs last night were much more lenient, and let em play much more than the other games. I am an ex ref, and this new rule, is not really a new rule, per say. But I always called the game, with two things in mind (and we would teach other refs this, also), and that was: Advantage/DisAdvantage! In other words, if nobody gained an advantage, and it was not a really hard foul, let em play, and keep the flow of the game moving. The problem was that too many refs, let too much stuff go, that they should have called, and some basketball games, looked more like football games.
PS: On the depth thing: It is a whole lot easier to use it, when you have such intelligent, talented and athletic players! Rock Chalk!

Mike Riches 5 months ago

What an impressive game! My thoughts after the game:

1. I love, Love, LOVE this team!! As has already been said, they have so much depth, so much talent, and SO MUCH athleticism!! They are SO fast (I don't ever remember a KU team this fast, especially in November) but I think what I love most is it seems to make absolutely no difference whether they're in a fast break or playing in the half court, their offense just works! It's so impressive how much they seem to improve game to game.

2. Andrew Wiggins is simply amazing and so fun to watch! For all the talk about his questionable effort, one of my favorite moments in this Towson game, came with just under 7 minutes left in the game, Kansas up by 30+ points, the game had been over for awhile...Wiggins hustled for an offensive board, and had to fight to rip it away from 2-3 Towson players. This is not a kid coasting through his only year in college, this is a man who wants to hang another NC banner in Allen Fieldhouse!

3. If Allen Iverson and Sherron Collins had beast-child, its name would be Frank Mason. Seriously he has no fear taking it right at a defense, and even when getting knocked to the ground, he has the poise to finish the shot! I'm so grateful he didn't have a black uniform on last night!

4. Of course, there were still some plays that left us scratching our heads...I still think Tharpe has to suppress his natural inclination to shoot; he is infinitely more valuable as a facilitator than a scorer. Having said that, it's hard to be too critical of how a team plays when they're up 35 points...

5. The only situation I'm curious to see how this team handles, is how will they respond when they're not playing well? What will they do if things aren't going their way, if the shots simply aren't falling? Usually in March, a team has to win at least one game like that, a lot of times against a lower seed (Purdue in 2012, VCU and Northern Iowa in previous years). I think the greatest strength we'll have in those situations is Perry Ellis. Not only does he seem to have nerves of steel, but he shoots such high-percentage shots!

Happy Thanksgiving and safe travels to the Bahamas! Turkey dinner and KU basketball...can it get any better?? Rock Chalk!!

Gerry Butler 5 months ago

hey guys, i'm an old man, lol a little over 59 yrs old been a HUGE hawk fan all my life. I have NEVER, I repeat NEVER seen a team of ours that is soooooo deep. I can't begin to imagine one, coach self has assembled a team, such a young team but sooo talented I sit back and watch and try to curb my excitement because they are soo young, but its really hard not to. will they lose this year? oh ya I think they will 1 maybe 2 almost rather see them lose 1 before tourney the longer a team goes without a loss the more pressure they have, lets face it stronger teams a coming, teams with silimar talent, maybe not as deep but just as talented . I cam remember vegas team went undefeated and into the touney and was the nu 1 seed and thought would go undefeated and just didn't happen, but what a team still just scratching the surface of their talent Bottom line all I have to say is sit back and enjoy I feel this is gonna be a very special season have to understand it isn't always gonna be pretty, but again my god the raw talent of joel, the skills of Andrew, wayne, WAYNE is a man glad to see brennan get back on the floor a bit, mason has NO FEAR of the lane I could go on, and on, and on finally GO HAWKS

Paul Rupp 5 months ago

Selden's"make it 11" dunk was one of the most eloquent, powerful, fluid moves I think could be seen on a basketball court. Wow.

Matt Spitzli 5 months ago

Every time I read a quote from Tarik Black, I have to double check that it isn't a quote from a member of the coaching staff. What an eloquent young man.

And yeah, this team looks good. It's different than any KU team I've seen. So many weapons.

Tony Bandle 5 months ago

ODDITIES FROM OAKVILLE:

1] I swear, if you took our bench team of Mason, Frankamp, Embiid, Traylor, White III, Greene and Lucas and put them out on the floor as a separate unit, they would be Top 25 and maybe even Top 10!!!

2] Would someone please rent Papa Embiid a Lawrence condo for this season so he could stay in town!!!

3] Love all the country flags in the crowd..Canada, Cameroon...no Missouri, however!!

4] I have been a Jayhwk for 47 years and this team, by far from top to bottom, is more athletic than any KU team I have ever seen and probably, any KU team period!!! Probably the toughest team they'll face, with a few exceptions, is the one they see every day in practice!!

5] I feel there is only one team in America that can beat these guys...and that's themselves. If they indeed play to their talent level and potential every game, they will go 40 - 0. That being said, as young as they are, they will stumble.

6] Haven't seen Jason and Olivia at a game yet. Must be on location somewhere.

7] Can you all imagine how good we'd be if Wayne, Andrew and Jo Jo stayed for four years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ben Kane 5 months ago

this site is not anywhere near as active as in the past... what happend?

Benz Junque 5 months ago

The Fieldhouse was hopping tonight from the second they threw the ball in the air. That was one of the most exciting halves of regular season basketball I have ever seen. The crowd gave Black a standing ovation when he went to the bench the first time because he had more dunks than fouls. We were just happy to see him make it 5 minutes without fouling, regardless of the dunks!

This team is coming together very nicely and still has room for improvement. Tharpe was not very good to start the game at all with a few bad TOs and decisions. Embiid still needs to learn to walk his man up the lane and then seal him off for an easier pass into the post. Wiggins still needs to attack MORE.

With the depth of this team and the rules the way they are calling them, Kansas basketball should be a relentless assault. Wave after wave of players attacking the rim and moving without the ball and passing to find open cutters, posters and shooters.

Doug Cramer 5 months ago

"Nobody was talking about an undefeated season or anything crazy like that"

Well I am. This team will go undefeated. Been watching KU basketball since I was an infant. This team compares to the Kentucky team 2 years ago...and I think would even beat that team.

Jeffrey Nelson 5 months ago

I was kind of thinking what Wiggins said. I mean this is early in the season but geez louise these guys could be really good come March, possibly great. You have other teams to think about as well, but I can't remember a time when Self has had so many playmakers.