Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Chalmers sets sights on repeat

— Two-time NBA champion Mario Chalmers is planning on cutting down the nets again in 2013-14.

“Next year is going to be a good year, a big year. We’re going for the three-peat,” said fifth-year Miami Heat combo guard Chalmers, a starter on teams that beat the Oklahoma City Thunder (2012) and San Antonio Spurs (2013) in consecutive NBA Finals.

“Next summer, basically our whole team is up. This might be our last hurrah together. We want to go out with a bang,” former Kansas University standout Chalmers added Wednesday in a news conference at his “Miracle Shot Basketball Camp” at Olathe East High School.

Chalmers, who will make $4 million this upcoming season, is a free agent after the 2013-14 campaign. The Big Three of LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh, as well as Udonis Haslem, have the right to decline player options on their deals and become free agents. Ray Allen and Shane Battier could elect to retire, while the team could elect to decline Norris Cole’s option.

“I haven’t thought about it yet,” Chalmers said of the upcoming season. “I’m still enjoying my time off, still enjoying the second championship.”

Chalmers said his second NBA title may have required more sweat than the first.

“The amount of work it took to beat the Spurs (seven games) was a lot different than the Thunder (five games). I’d say the second championship was a little bit harder to win than the first,” Chalmers said.

He scored 20 points a pivotal, series-tying, 103-100 Game 6 victory in Miami.

”My mindset was (to) attack from the beginning. I had three games in San Antonio I didn’t play well at all,” Chalmers said. “I felt I let my team down. I wanted to bounce back and give my team a boost, have my confidence back.”

Chalmers said it was great to have KU coach Bill Self in the stands for two of the Heat’s playoff games — one versus the Spurs in San Antonio and one against the Indiana Pacers in Miami.

“It means a lot. Coming to watch me play at the next level shows he still cares,” said Chalmers, who was in Lawrence earlier this week working out and speaking to KU’s six-player freshman class.

“They asked me what it takes to win a championship. With coach Self, just listen,” said Chalmers, a starter on the 2008 NCAA title team. “That was our main thing. He told us, ‘Just play defense and we can do whatever we want on offense.’ Once we figured that out and how to get our defense going, we just clicked and we played together. The main thing is having fun on the court and be about business.”

Chalmers said he hasn’t had a chance to work out with freshman sensation Andrew Wiggins.

“To be honest, I’ve only seen him play on highlights. I’ve only seen tape of him,” Chalmers said. “I’ve not seen him play in an actual game. I don’t even know what he does well. They say he does everything well.”

Chalmers’ four-day camp concludes today at Olathe East. An all-star game that features former KU players Nick Bradford, Jeff Graves, Jeff Hawkins, Brady Morningstar, Russell Robinson, Conner Teahan and perhaps Travis Releford is set for 7 p.m. today, at the O-East gym. Admission is $20. For information on signing up for Chalmers’ fifth-annual golf tournament set for Monday at Alvamar, click here.

Prep tourney in Shawnee: The Metro Sports KC Prep Invitational AAU tournament presented by 810Varsity.com is set for today through Sunday at Okun Fieldhouse in Shawnee. One of the top players in the tournament is KU target Jayson Tatum, a 6-6 sophomore from St. Louis Chaminade who will play for the 16-and-under St. Louis Eagles in the 17-and-under division. Check the website kchoops.com for schedules and information on live web streaming of the tourney. Tickets are $10 for each day or $30 for a full-tournament pass.

Comments

jhawkrulz 1 year ago

Two time college champion...always good to see the Google ads are paying for high quality editing.

jhawkinaz 1 year ago

Hey gary, mc15 is setting his sights on a 3peat not a repeat, he's a 1 time college champ and the spurs series went 7 games not 5, wow that's all it takes to work at the ljw. Smh

jhawkinaz 1 year ago

Dunno why I got flagged, I was just correcting a few mistakes by the writer, but owell, the head line still says repeat when mario is going for a 3peat

Mike Bratisax 1 year ago

Some extra letters slipped into the time machine..

KULA 1 year ago

"he let us do whatever we wanted offensively" That speaks volumes.

KansasComet 1 year ago

FearlessJayhawk 1 year ago

I couldn't say it any better. All you players listen to Chalmers. He's been there, done that. The only thing I would add to what he said is not only do you need to listen to what coach Self says, but DO IT.

jaybate 1 year ago

Lebron, you better stay tight on Mario. He's not only good, he's lucky.

That luck separates the great from near great, and rubs off.

Every giant needs a lucky mouse.

You have one.

Hang on to him!

chriz 1 year ago

Yeah, seriously...why does the headline read "repeat"?

texashawk10 1 year ago

And kD just made Pat Riley some more money.

wrwlumpy 1 year ago

Jayson Tatum tweeted today that he is headed to Kansas. This of course set off some excitement until he responded to all of the congratulations, "LOL, for a tournament."

Kevin Huffman 1 year ago

***:( ...Dan it!!!!

I really wanted him!

Smart, engaging, team player, but shows flashes of brilliance defensively and with his passes. Decent enough size for a PG, 6'-3, 185. Still while the schools other than Kentucky aren't exactly Indiana, Michigan State, KU, UNC, Duke, I suspect that he'll end up at UK UNLESS Tyus Jones surprises everyone and he & Okafor go to UK. THEN I would suspect that UCLA's probably the next most likely to land him.

So those like me who kept throwing Josh Perkins's name out there. I guess we can stop officially now! :( Luckily, many have Jordan McLaughlin higher ranked than Perkins and he seems serious about considering us so..... I'd really rather land that PG of the future for this coming class to be under Tharpe's tutelage and if he's good enough 1-2 years on their own and then on to the NBA.

Perkins sounds like he wants to possibly actually get there in 1 year....thus, the UK being EASILY his most likely destination now.

Kevin Huffman 1 year ago

To me Perkins was a priorty. I guess not to our coaching staff.

Right now in looking ahead past '13/'14 to '14/'15.....

Here are the givens:

Tarik Black's in his final season (opens up a scholarship) A. Wiggins will be an OAD barring a crazy significantly severe injujry. Mickelson will be eligible for the '14/'15 season and will be in competition for a PF/C spot. Could argue that he'd slot in as the 3rd PF

With no other moves this would be the roster for '14/'15

Tharpe / F.Mason

Selden / Frankamp

Br. Greene / White III (my assumption that Greene will be ahead of White)

P. Ellis / Traylor / Mickelson

Embiid / Lucas

Only position where a starting position MIGHT be earned from an incoming freshman before the '14/'15 season would start would seem to be SF. The 1-spot...you might be able to get a talent > Tharpe, but only two left, Jones or Mudiay would most likely start & I would argue that Jones is going to Duke & Mudiay to Kentucky.

That being the case, Selden & Perry would seem to be the offensive focus. Post-D would most likely be solid with Embiid being the star player in that vein.

I would think the No. 1 thing needed would be a versatile SF who excels at D.

Seems like the player they should target THE MOST in that '14 class is, in fact, Kelly Oubre. I'm almost positive that I heard that he's a Late Night attendee. So far I've only heard of one team REALLY HARD on trying to get him to sign and that was UConn and that might be a stretch if location matters to him at all (from Houston area).

I think after that the 2nd biggest need would be a backup PG. My preferrence at this point would be Jordan McLaughlin. I could see him develop over the year to be better at the end of the year than early on and be ready to take on the starting role the next season.

Of course, it would be a lot more glamorous to get the No. 2 recruit that we're all clamoring for in Cliff Alexander, but if all of the above holds true he wouldn't start for us in his OAD '14/'15 season. Some of why I keep touting S. Zimmerman as while I don't think that Embiid's an OAD, I DO think that it's likely that he could go the Arthur route and be a 2AD & Zimmerman I believe is the rare breed of C who will ACTUALLY be able to start right off the bat as a freshman.

So my lineup for '14/'15 would include just a 2-man '14 class of Oubre & McLaughlin

Tharpe / McLaughlin / F.Mason (but will still get minutes)

Selden / Frankamp

Br. Greene/Oubre (good battle to decide on starter) / White III

P. Ellis / Traylor / Mickelson

Embiid / L. Lucas

I think one key player to making that season a contender would be the development of Traylor and/or Lucas.

Alex Peekeaton 1 year ago

Kentucky hasn't offered Perkins a scholarship yet and quite possibly will not before the August 25th deadline of which he will announce his school. I do not see Perkins going to UK at this point.

Kevin Huffman 1 year ago

The only reason they have not is that UK's wavering on whether to believe that they can still net Jones or not. In all honesty, I SERIOUSLY don't see Jones & J. Okafor going to Kentucky together. I've heard rumors of Duke most strongly and then otherwise, they (UK) don't seem to be mentioned that prominently.

On top of that, there've been numerous reports that Perkins & Mudiay are friends and could actually play together (Mudiay at off-guard) there.

I remember maybe 6 months back when everyone was pining for Jones & Okafor I felt my more realistic combo. would've been for Perkins & Cl. Alexander. But that was anticipating Perkins being a 3AD. He's skyrocketed so far up the rankings that he probably sees himself as an OAD now.

Alex Peekeaton 1 year ago

Perkins has made it clear he is jumping to the NBA as soon as he can. I always said Okafor & Jones are going to Duke with Winslow possibly following, so I don't think UK is really competing for them although the recent scholarship to Winslow surprised me. Calipari wants Mudiay and eventhough both Mudiay & Perkins said they wouldn't mind playing on the same team next year, Mudiay stated he wants to be the starting point guard.

This is the first time I can recall all of these potential "package deals" being discussed by the players and an entire team's recruiting class might be signed on any given day.

Kevin Huffman 1 year ago

If we don't bother with a PG in this class, then they better get a Top 35 PG in the Class of '15 (heard them being connected to King McClure). And if that's the case, then I guess I could see them get a backup post type but again, I don't know that Alexander would agree to that. Would have to be someone more likely in that Top 30 - 60 range of recruits. Only four of those have us on their lists (ESPN Rankings):

No. 31 Craig Victor, 6'-7, 205

No. 36 Leron Black, 6'-7, 215

No. 44 Abdul Malik-Abu, 6'-8, 230

No. 60 Elbert Robinson, 6'-11, 270

I've heard of weight concerns with Robinson....seems like the type that Ohio State or Georgetown always get and sure enough I think both are in on him.

I think the best of that bunch would be Malik-Abu. Kind of like a "Poor Man's" Cliff Alexander. Plus, I think he's at a school that Selden would be familiar with (Both being in Boston).

This route would be contingent upon being very pleased with the PG play of Tharpe, Mason and/or Frankamp.

Still this route has one commonality. I feel like we need Oubre out of this year's recruiting class. I feel like his D's going to translate right away even if he has some growing pains offensively. Luckily, offensively he's ALSO versatile.

Kevin Huffman 1 year ago

So, again I see us adding just two (three if you include Mickelson) next season. So if we do land Jones & J. Okafor, then that's all that we'd be adding. Might have to move Perry to SF if that were to happen.

Could have a '14/'15 starting linup of :

Ty. Jones / Tharpe / F.Mason

Selden / Frankamp

P. Ellis / Br. Greene / White III

Embiid / Traylor / Mickelson

J. Okafor / L. Lucas

That would be a 6'-111 / 7' PF to go with a 6'-10 / 6'-11 C!!! :) 6'-8 SF along with a 6'-5 SG.

Mike Bratisax 1 year ago

I have a hard time seeing Perry stepping aside for any freshman. Could be wrong but EJ is the perfect example of what happens when players are forced to play out of position.

jhox 1 year ago

It's crazy not to sign at least one PG a year. We saw what happened this year being so thin at that spot.

I still like Tyrone Taylor out of Grandview as a dark horse. His AAU team hasn't let him play the point, apparently promising that to a kid from Denver before the Summer started. Consequently, most schools think he's a two, but he absolutely is a PG. I've not seen anyone in the class with his court vision, and he's so comfortable with both hands I saw him twice before realizing he's a lefty. He's legit 6'3" and as quick as any kid I've seen this year. All he needs is 15 or 20 lbs of Hudy magic and he's elite. I hear high majors are taking notice. I saw him put up 23 in a state playoff game with 8 assists, and that's while being face guarded and double teamed when he got the ball. Perhaps the most impressive high school performance I've seen to date (because of the defensive attention he was getting.)

He's a mirror image of Tyshawn Taylor with a jump shot.

These rankings are interesting. The top 40 or so guys are usually legit. Beyond that its a crap shoot. Too many guys get by on body and physical strength but no skill. Then they get to college and everyone is just as big and just as fast. Some adjust, some don't. People look at the rankings as gospel, including most college coaches. That's why some kids never get focused on like they should.

jhox 1 year ago

The 23 is a typo. He actually put up 33 with 8 assists.

Mike Bratisax 1 year ago

Normally I would agree but we will still have 3 players to fill that position. I have a feeling that if we go all the way or very close to it, we could lose 2 other (Selden & Ellis) players to the draft along w/Wiggins.

That could lead to getting another PG.

wrwlumpy 1 year ago

For those of us who have been hankering for an in-depth view of what practices are like. We know Self screams in the huddle and gets on players. Now watch him at practice.

southwindjay 1 year ago

Anybody see where Brannen Greene was picked up for hit and run? If so, that is a very bad start.

Greg Ledom 12 months ago

The title is an accurate representation of what Mario and the Heat intend to do. Just because it's for their third in a row, doesn't suggest "repeat" is inaccurate.