Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Chalmers sets sights on repeat

— Two-time NBA champion Mario Chalmers is planning on cutting down the nets again in 2013-14.

“Next year is going to be a good year, a big year. We’re going for the three-peat,” said fifth-year Miami Heat combo guard Chalmers, a starter on teams that beat the Oklahoma City Thunder (2012) and San Antonio Spurs (2013) in consecutive NBA Finals.

“Next summer, basically our whole team is up. This might be our last hurrah together. We want to go out with a bang,” former Kansas University standout Chalmers added Wednesday in a news conference at his “Miracle Shot Basketball Camp” at Olathe East High School.

Chalmers, who will make $4 million this upcoming season, is a free agent after the 2013-14 campaign. The Big Three of LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh, as well as Udonis Haslem, have the right to decline player options on their deals and become free agents. Ray Allen and Shane Battier could elect to retire, while the team could elect to decline Norris Cole’s option.

“I haven’t thought about it yet,” Chalmers said of the upcoming season. “I’m still enjoying my time off, still enjoying the second championship.”

Chalmers said his second NBA title may have required more sweat than the first.

“The amount of work it took to beat the Spurs (seven games) was a lot different than the Thunder (five games). I’d say the second championship was a little bit harder to win than the first,” Chalmers said.

He scored 20 points a pivotal, series-tying, 103-100 Game 6 victory in Miami.

”My mindset was (to) attack from the beginning. I had three games in San Antonio I didn’t play well at all,” Chalmers said. “I felt I let my team down. I wanted to bounce back and give my team a boost, have my confidence back.”

Chalmers said it was great to have KU coach Bill Self in the stands for two of the Heat’s playoff games — one versus the Spurs in San Antonio and one against the Indiana Pacers in Miami.

“It means a lot. Coming to watch me play at the next level shows he still cares,” said Chalmers, who was in Lawrence earlier this week working out and speaking to KU’s six-player freshman class.

“They asked me what it takes to win a championship. With coach Self, just listen,” said Chalmers, a starter on the 2008 NCAA title team. “That was our main thing. He told us, ‘Just play defense and we can do whatever we want on offense.’ Once we figured that out and how to get our defense going, we just clicked and we played together. The main thing is having fun on the court and be about business.”

Chalmers said he hasn’t had a chance to work out with freshman sensation Andrew Wiggins.

“To be honest, I’ve only seen him play on highlights. I’ve only seen tape of him,” Chalmers said. “I’ve not seen him play in an actual game. I don’t even know what he does well. They say he does everything well.”

Chalmers’ four-day camp concludes today at Olathe East. An all-star game that features former KU players Nick Bradford, Jeff Graves, Jeff Hawkins, Brady Morningstar, Russell Robinson, Conner Teahan and perhaps Travis Releford is set for 7 p.m. today, at the O-East gym. Admission is $20. For information on signing up for Chalmers’ fifth-annual golf tournament set for Monday at Alvamar, click here.

Prep tourney in Shawnee: The Metro Sports KC Prep Invitational AAU tournament presented by 810Varsity.com is set for today through Sunday at Okun Fieldhouse in Shawnee. One of the top players in the tournament is KU target Jayson Tatum, a 6-6 sophomore from St. Louis Chaminade who will play for the 16-and-under St. Louis Eagles in the 17-and-under division. Check the website kchoops.com for schedules and information on live web streaming of the tourney. Tickets are $10 for each day or $30 for a full-tournament pass.

Comments

Greg Ledom 8 months, 3 weeks ago

The title is an accurate representation of what Mario and the Heat intend to do. Just because it's for their third in a row, doesn't suggest "repeat" is inaccurate.

southwindjay 8 months, 4 weeks ago

Anybody see where Brannen Greene was picked up for hit and run? If so, that is a very bad start.

wrwlumpy 8 months, 4 weeks ago

For those of us who have been hankering for an in-depth view of what practices are like. We know Self screams in the huddle and gets on players. Now watch him at practice.

Kevin Huffman 8 months, 4 weeks ago

If we don't bother with a PG in this class, then they better get a Top 35 PG in the Class of '15 (heard them being connected to King McClure). And if that's the case, then I guess I could see them get a backup post type but again, I don't know that Alexander would agree to that. Would have to be someone more likely in that Top 30 - 60 range of recruits. Only four of those have us on their lists (ESPN Rankings):

No. 31 Craig Victor, 6'-7, 205

No. 36 Leron Black, 6'-7, 215

No. 44 Abdul Malik-Abu, 6'-8, 230

No. 60 Elbert Robinson, 6'-11, 270

I've heard of weight concerns with Robinson....seems like the type that Ohio State or Georgetown always get and sure enough I think both are in on him.

I think the best of that bunch would be Malik-Abu. Kind of like a "Poor Man's" Cliff Alexander. Plus, I think he's at a school that Selden would be familiar with (Both being in Boston).

This route would be contingent upon being very pleased with the PG play of Tharpe, Mason and/or Frankamp.

Still this route has one commonality. I feel like we need Oubre out of this year's recruiting class. I feel like his D's going to translate right away even if he has some growing pains offensively. Luckily, offensively he's ALSO versatile.

Kevin Huffman 8 months, 4 weeks ago

***:( ...Dan it!!!!

I really wanted him!

Smart, engaging, team player, but shows flashes of brilliance defensively and with his passes. Decent enough size for a PG, 6'-3, 185. Still while the schools other than Kentucky aren't exactly Indiana, Michigan State, KU, UNC, Duke, I suspect that he'll end up at UK UNLESS Tyus Jones surprises everyone and he & Okafor go to UK. THEN I would suspect that UCLA's probably the next most likely to land him.

So those like me who kept throwing Josh Perkins's name out there. I guess we can stop officially now! :( Luckily, many have Jordan McLaughlin higher ranked than Perkins and he seems serious about considering us so..... I'd really rather land that PG of the future for this coming class to be under Tharpe's tutelage and if he's good enough 1-2 years on their own and then on to the NBA.

Perkins sounds like he wants to possibly actually get there in 1 year....thus, the UK being EASILY his most likely destination now.

wrwlumpy 8 months, 4 weeks ago

Jayson Tatum tweeted today that he is headed to Kansas. This of course set off some excitement until he responded to all of the congratulations, "LOL, for a tournament."

chriz 8 months, 4 weeks ago

Yeah, seriously...why does the headline read "repeat"?

jaybate 8 months, 4 weeks ago

Lebron, you better stay tight on Mario. He's not only good, he's lucky.

That luck separates the great from near great, and rubs off.

Every giant needs a lucky mouse.

You have one.

Hang on to him!

FearlessJayhawk 8 months, 4 weeks ago

I couldn't say it any better. All you players listen to Chalmers. He's been there, done that. The only thing I would add to what he said is not only do you need to listen to what coach Self says, but DO IT.

KansasComet 8 months, 4 weeks ago

KULA 8 months, 4 weeks ago

"he let us do whatever we wanted offensively" That speaks volumes.

jhawkinaz 8 months, 4 weeks ago

Dunno why I got flagged, I was just correcting a few mistakes by the writer, but owell, the head line still says repeat when mario is going for a 3peat

jhawkinaz 8 months, 4 weeks ago

Hey gary, mc15 is setting his sights on a 3peat not a repeat, he's a 1 time college champ and the spurs series went 7 games not 5, wow that's all it takes to work at the ljw. Smh

Ralster Jayhawk 8 months, 4 weeks ago

Awesome comments by Chalmers about Self being supportive... Also loved the "Just play D, and he let us do whatever we wanted offensively".

Ryan Lee 8 months, 4 weeks ago

Gravy, go grab Bradford and Pauly...we got the inside scoop homey.

Ryan Lee 8 months, 4 weeks ago

Sett'n my sights on a hooker and an eight ball. Is this Craig's list?...

jhawkrulz 8 months, 4 weeks ago

Two time college champion...always good to see the Google ads are paying for high quality editing.