Sunday, September 23, 2012

Bill Self fired up for dreaded Boot Camp

KU coach Bill Self huddles with the Jayhawks after a Boot Camp conditioning session in this file photo from 2006.

Bill Self views his 10th Kansas University basketball Boot Camp as one of the most important in his decade at KU.

“I am real excited for this one, maybe more than the others because I’ve got nine guys who have never been through anything like this,” Self, KU’s coach, said of newcomers Rio Adams, Perry Ellis, Landen Lucas, Evan Manning, Ben McLemore, Zach Peters, Tyler Self, Jamari Traylor and Andrew White III. “If they look at it as punishment, it’ll be hard for them. If they look at it as an opportunity to get in great shape and a team-bonding experience, they’ll end up being very proud of themselves after they complete it.”

McLemore and Traylor were on campus for the 2011 Boot Camp, but couldn’t compete as they awaited word on their eligibility from the NCAA.

They, of course, are eligible this year and will be in KU’s practice facility at 6 a.m. today for the first of 10 up-before-the-crack-of-dawn conditioning drills.

“We’ll get through it. We always do. I’m looking forward to it,” Self said.

He could only laugh when asked if he considered scrapping Boot Camp this year, considering his Jayhawks held 10 official practices prior to last month’s four-game exhibition tour to Switzerland and Paris.

“No. No. No. I would never cancel Boot Camp. It’s too important,” Self said. “Boot Camp is something we can draw from every year. It will help provide leadership, unity and toughness. I would cancel the European trip before I’d cancel Boot Camp. When we came back from Europe, we also took two weeks off. The guys’ bodies are fine.”

Self was asked to identify the unofficial stars of Boot Camp throughout his KU years.

“When you are talking about the biggest stud of Boot Camp, it’d be hard to impress more than what Tyrel Reed did, and also Travis Releford, I’d say, has been excellent so far,” Self said.

Releford, a fifth-year senior out of Kansas City, Mo., was asked who stood out to him in the past.

“All of us,” he said. “What do you mean?

“Tyrel ... he wouldn’t lose any races. If you want to say he was the star of that, yes, Tyrel was,” Releford added of the 2011 KU graduate. “Since I’ve been here, he’s been the only one who has completely dominated.”

Boot Camp consists of sprints, defensive slides and backboard touches — all sorts of running, with no basketballs in sight.

In the past, a player or two has lost his breakfast at Boot Camp, which will run from 6 a.m. to just after 7 Monday through Friday this week and next.

“I’ve never puked,” Releford said. “There have been a few in the past, but I can’t remember. I think the last time was early-on my freshman year. The past few years, I don’t think anybody has ever puked.”

Self gave a final bit of advice for his veterans and newcomers alike.

“All it is, is convince your body you can do things you didn’t think you could do,” he stated.

Roberson has six finalists: Tyler Roberson, a 6-foot-8 senior small forward from Roselle (N.J.) Catholic who is ranked No. 29 nationally by Rivals.com, has cut his list of prospective colleges to six: KU, Kentucky, SMU, Rutgers, Syracuse, and Villanova.

“Coach Self showed me a lot of highlights of Marcus Morris,” Roberson told jayhawkslant.com, asked about last Thursday’s in-home visit. “He said that I’d be doing something similar to what Marcus was doing on offense. I watched Marcus when Kansas was on TV, and I think there are some similarities.”

Comments

jaybate 1 year, 12 months ago

• Travis made a tactical mistake. Never tell Self no one's puked for a few years...as BC starts!

• 9 about to hit the wall at once. 9 about to break through to a new level. Line up the trash cans.

• I was loyal to Coach Gill, even though I thought he was the wrong hire because he had not been recruiting BCS grade talent for 3-4 years while in the NFL and at Buffalo U. He deserved his 3-4 years to get it rebuilt "the right way." Now I am loyal to Coach Weis, even though I thought he was hired a year too soon and also probably lacked the recruiting pipeline required to turn KU around. He deserves 3-4 years to turn it around "the right way." Fans need to get off Coach Weis' back. It takes 3-4 years to do it. Each time you fire a football coach after 2 years, it is starting over from scratch. Weis could easily not win another game this season, and that has to be ok. Fans need to man-up about this, or KU will never get on the map in football. Judge Weis this year only on whether KU improves in the facet of the game he has committed to rebuilding first. Probably offense. But regardless of the judgment, he still needs 3-4 years to get to .500 to see if his system is on the way to the next step-- bowl consistency. And don't iLynch Weis the way Gill was. Let Weis have his shot.

• Coaches are hired and fired for many reasons. A bad w&l statement often just catalyses other latent issues. Mangino's declining W&L appeared to catalyse player treatment and appearance issues. Gill's bad W&L statement appeared to catalyse latent religious and racial issues. My concern with Coach Weis is that a bad W&L statement could catalyse realignment and religious issues. I have always suspected that in addition to being an experienced candidate, Weis might have been hired also to give Notre Dame a trusted wire into KUAD as part of a realignment process aiming to attract ND into the Big 12. CBernie was in charge of conference realignment. They appeared to have hired the essentially under qualified Gill previously in part as a kind of chit to keep Nebraska mollified and in the Big 12. When NU left, one of the reasons for keeping Gil left, too. Similarly, with ND out of the Big 12 picture, a reason for keeping Coach Weis could disappear too. Add to that many fundamentalist KU alums may still be smarting from fundamentalist Gill getting run early and their patience and support may have a short fuse.

Support Coach Weis now! Before we have to start from scratch yet again.

• Dave Doeren can kiss my hip pockets for talking about his team winning because it was more aggressive. Don't ever kick a professional colleague, when he is down, so you can get his job. Doeren appears to be sticking the needle in, because he got passed over for the KU job and maybe still wants it.

akgjenkintown 1 year, 12 months ago

Why in the world would you think hiring a coach at KU that Notre Dame fired because they were not competing for National Championships, could possible influence a decision of this magnitude. I can't imagine that Notre Dame gave a second thought about who is KU's head coach when considering conference realignment. It came down to $$ and Notre Dame's insistence on remaining an independent in football. And Gill was fired because the KU football program was regressing (e.g., the players were not being held accountable for conditioning and offseason training) and had nothing to do with the timing of NU departure from the Big XII.

63Jayhawk 1 year, 12 months ago

Petty much total agreement, jaybate

oldalum 1 year, 12 months ago

Why are we discussing football on an article about basketball boot camp?

Eric TheCapn 1 year, 12 months ago

I concur. Leave football and its 12-15 minutes of action per three-hour broadcast to the football pages.

John Boyle 1 year, 12 months ago

Keep in mind that Snyder didn't turn KSU into a winner overnight. In his first 4 seasons they went: 1-10 5-6 7-4 5-6 before they started winning consistently. It takes time to build a winner. I don't know if Wiess is the guy to do it or not but he certainly isn't going to do it in one year or even two years. Give him a chance or as jaybate has stated, we will just be starting over again.

hawk316 1 year, 12 months ago

jaybate, you have made some excellent points. Thank you.

Like you, I was loyal to Gill. Because I loved the kind of person he was, I wanted very badly to see him succeed. I argued often that in all fairness we needed to give him more time and two years was not a fair shot.

My loyalty to him as a person undoubtedly clouded my judgment concerning his abilities as a football coach. To this day I'm not sure if a head football coaching position is the best fit for him (recognizing that people can learn, grow and improve over time), but by many accounts, Turner Gill is truly an extraordinary person and many of us could only hope to come close to his stature.

And when all is said and done, the kind of individual we are far far outweighs how successful we may be in our chosen vocation.

jaybate 1 year, 12 months ago

Serial Disclaimerer fails to man-up for Coach Weis.

Serial Disclaimerer fails to man-up for Coach Weis.

Serial Disclaimerer fails to man-up for Coach Weis.

Serial Disclaimerer fails to man-up for Coach Weis.

Ah the joys of macro grind it out.

Robin Smith 1 year, 12 months ago

Are there actually people dumb enough to want Coach Weis fired??

After only four games??

After KU was historically bad last season??

Are there actually people so egotistical, with bloated expectations, without any shred of humility, without any appreciation for what it takes to build a program, that they would already even bring up the idea of firing Coach Weis??

Who do these people think they are? Notre Dame??

jaybate 1 year, 12 months ago

Robin,

Alas, it seems yes. I have systematically avoided reading the threads on the football page, until yesterday, when someone told me KU was 1-3. I had avoided them, because posters expectations had been so unrealistically high after Coach Gill was s-canned and Coach Weis was hired. I decided to read them, because I suspected the 1-3 record against some modest opponents might send the let-down posters into a rage against Coach Weis that he would not deserve. What I saw was more negative than I expected. So: I decided to speak up before a fire storm started, rather than wait till after, as I had when Coach Gill was hit with an atmosphere on fire. I am not a football fan anymore, but, as a Jayhawk, I would still love for KU football one day to be respectable on a consistent basis, not just exceptional for a couple years every 15 years or so. I decided to post about it here, rather than on the football thread, because my experience of posting on the football page briefly during the Gill firing and the Weis hiring did not seem worth repeating. KU football fans that posted there seemed especially closed to loyal dissent. Basketball fans on this page will at least give their reasoned side when they call one a dunce. :-)

It did not seem so with many of the football posters, outside of the few basketball fans that post both places.

Bottom line for now: I think Coach Weiss and his team may rebound and surprise some people over the next few weeks. They could be 3-1 right now with some breaks. He seems to be keeping them directed at the fixing the problems. So long as he does then, then it is almost certain that the breaks will go there way some soon. But the talent is thin, and injuries could mount, and it could turn into a very bad record, too. If posters don't stay out front on this issue of insisting that Coach Weis deserves 3-4 years to do it the right way, then I am afraid things could get ugly again. And I don't want that. No way.

Rock Chalk, Coach Weis!

Do it the right way!

Sane people are behind you!

flyingfinn 1 year, 12 months ago

Agree on Coach Weis....you are wrong on I won't even call him a coach Gill. Not only could he not coach he had no respect for player's getting in shape nor in getting good grades, 50+ F's for the football team his final semester is disgraceful

REHawk 1 year, 12 months ago

Rio Adams, here lies your opportunity to step up to be the next Tyrel Reed. Go get 'em!

KEITHMILES05 1 year, 12 months ago

What was Gill's "latent racial issues" you speak of?

Robert Brock 1 year, 12 months ago

Are the Hawks lowering their recruiting ambitions a notch? Looks like it...

Robert Brock 1 year, 12 months ago

6-6 1/2 190 pound combo-forward. Meh. I thought we were going after great-quality bigs and a hyper-quick point guard. How many wings can we pile up?

63Jayhawk 1 year, 12 months ago

Brock, I'm looking forward to the day you pass Bill Self in wins at the division 1 level!

Robin Smith 1 year, 12 months ago

Yo, Brock, what's the deal? We already have one of the best recruiting classes, we're in the running for several of the absolute top players, we have a legitimate shot with a slew of really excellent premiere players... complaining is not only ridiculous, it's just ignorant.

Not to mention, when you criticize our recruiting efforts based on the arbitrary ranking system of these various agencies you're forgetting that Self knows more than they do and his evaluation is what matters.

So defer to history if you think our recruiting is taking a dip, because people been saying it, but Kansas just wins - 8 straight, 2 FF and 2 Title games in the last 4 years. On top of it all, just look at how Thomas Robinson was rated coming out of high school.

Robert Brock 1 year, 12 months ago

I'm glad that we have commitments from Greene and Frankamp. But Self said that he wanted - in addition to those two - a couple of game-changing bigs and a great ball-handling, athletic point guard. Who ya got? We've missed on Barber and Jackson. And it looks like we seem to be dismissing Randle, Gordon, and Shepherd. What now?

Robin Smith 1 year, 12 months ago

Big: Parker, Randle, Vonleh, Roberson, Shepherd

Guard: Peters, Young, Selden

I think we have a legit shot at all of these guys, contend what you will.

The point is it doesn't matter. Unexpected things happen, guys develop and step up, guys transfer, de-commit, are under-rated; it doesn't matter, because we have seen over the years that no matter what happens Self and his crew put it together and succeed at the highest levels.

bennybob 1 year, 12 months ago

The ambitions haven't lowered, the results have.

but your not allowed to point that out on this website or the homers will flame you to no end and question your fandom.

Also, in Self's defense, its still pretty early in the recruiting game. The staff has struggled the past few years on the recruiting trail but relative to where they were this time of year in '10 and '11 things are looking alot better this time around. But i agree we are justified in being nervous

clevelandjayhawker 1 year, 12 months ago

I always forget Morningstar was with this team for like 6 years, great file photo

oldalum 1 year, 12 months ago

All I noticed about the picture was Robinson's back muscles. Really impressive. I hope he has kept up with his weight training. Edit: If this is truly 2006 that can't be Robinson. Who is it?

Dirk Medema 1 year, 12 months ago

It's Brandon on the left and Case on the right, so 2006 would be right. Good eye for Rio1.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 12 months ago

Interesting on Cothron ...

Just saw this at ESPN. Noah Vonleh is reclassifying. We had already made him an offer, along with a number of other schools. This adds another big to the radar for 2013. What's interesting there .. go to your Lebron James link. His wingspan is 7' 3". Shepherd's is 6'11".

bennybob 1 year, 12 months ago

I don't agree with your rationale for not wanting Lawrence. I don't think its possible for a kid to be to athletic for our program(T Rob!). as for wanting to play the 3. I refer to you Perry Ellis.

Self can promise Lawrence time at the 3 all he wants. but once he gets him on campus he'll put him on the post. What's lawrence gonna do? transfer after his only potential year in college basketball?

Tony Bandle 1 year, 12 months ago

• Boot Camp in 2012 = Fourth Quarter Comebacks in 2013

• My pick for the Golden Puke Bucket Award...nine frosh, pick one!!

• My guess is most of us posters [including myself ] would not survive Boot Camp...literally.

• Alternate names: Puke Camp, Beat to Hell Camp, Cramp Camp, Crap Camp, AM S&M, Sunrise Smackdown, Dawn Destruction, Dead Men Running.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 12 months ago

Please forgive me...I couldn't help it, but maybe Bonnie should do the same thing.

You could call in Booty Camp!!

clevelandjayhawker 1 year, 12 months ago

halfs in basketball but great post...hahah booty camp

bennybob 1 year, 12 months ago

That fact that we might not get a second PG isnt whats concerning. Its the fact that the staff wants a second PG and cant land one.

But your a "Self can do no wrong" kinda guy so i'm sure youll dazzle me with another excuse as to why this isn't something to be worried about.

bennybob 1 year, 12 months ago

alright you know what, I'm done. you can't go 3 posts with out launching an insult.

If you want to debate, lets debate, but if you want to attack me personally, i've got better things to do with my time.

i could make multiple counter points to this post buts what the point? so you can then make counter points and call me a name in the process?

I assume your Kansas alum, show some class.

Alohahawk 1 year, 12 months ago

The recruiting boards have officially announced Jackson has cut his list to two schools - Notre Dame and Illinois, and will announce on Wednesday. After what's been reported over the last couple weeks, that's not surprising. Still think Wayne Selden at 6' 5", and a 5 star, is an option as a combo PG/SG/SF.

Meanwhile, Noah Vonleh reclassifying to 2013 is huge news. Self has been recruiting him for quite a while, and was one of the few to offer NV before he reclassified. He will probably be a OAD and is ranked just behind Gordon in the 2013 PF position. Believe he was ranked one of the top 3 overall in the 2014 class. Unfortunately, Vonleh's reclassification almost gaurantees that Wiggins will reclassify as well. That's a lot of top ranked 2014's jumping to the 2013 class (Selden, Vonleh, and probably Wiggins were all in the top 5 - 10, depending on which recruiting board one consulted.)

bennybob 1 year, 12 months ago

Aloha did you just endorse the recruitment of a OAD? gasp

Alohahawk 1 year, 12 months ago

Double gasp! A non-argumentative comment by our resident "cup half empty" poster. Nothing wrong with OAD's, as long as they produce and fit KU's/Self's needs. I'll endorse any recruit willing to sign on with the Jayhawks, while helping KU achieve another Final Four and especially, an NCAA championship. :>)

bennybob 1 year, 12 months ago

All of a sudden frankamp is a PG? that couldn't possibly be because it makes your math look better could it?

If you assume frankamp as a wing player, Self has gone ofer on his PG targets and is well below your magical "4-6 players for every scholarship" stat you just made up.

according to that stat, the Elite programs of college basketball would be making 30+ scholarship offers a year to land a 5 man class. i'm to lazy to do the work but if you really want to prove yourself right show me one rivals recruiting class where any blueblood offered 30 different kids a scholarship.

bennybob 1 year, 12 months ago

your claim, your obligation to support.

Why should i work to prove you wrong when the burden is on you to convince me your right.

I conceded our previous debate about Self's recruiting yeilds because i was too lazy to compile the data i needed to support my argument. feel free to do the same.

or launch another personal attack at me. your great at that.

Dirk Medema 1 year, 12 months ago

Francamp was a leader in assists on the national team last year. His HS team needs his points, and he's ridiculous at putting up points, so some might mistakenly view him as a 2. Looking a bit deeper shows otherwise.

Pitthawk34 1 year, 12 months ago

I wish I could sit in the stands and watch boot camp. Just sit up in the stands with cheetos and a cooler full of coors.

Martin Rosenblum 1 year, 12 months ago

Your idea of a good time is watching 18 year olds push themselves to the point of puking while you sit there with orange fingers and lips chugging Coors? Wow man, there's a life out there....

KUsmoothies 1 year, 12 months ago

I was giving bennybob the edge until the wiping comment gave me a good laugh. Konkeydong slight favorite at this point

HawkKlaw 1 year, 12 months ago

Recruiting slump? There's a debate on these boards about it, but ESPN and the likes don't seem to have noticed (read: there is none).

Talent slump? Emphatically and absolutely "NO."

Rock Chalk.

Scott MacWilliams 1 year, 12 months ago

Hey Jayahwk Nation --

Does anybody know if Boot Camp is exclusive to KU? I'm not seeing it, or anything similar, mentioned in reports of other teams starting their seasons.
Seems like all the other top teams would all be doing something similar, trying to get that extra edge in conditioning.

I live in Eugene, OR, and the Ducks football team is WAY serious about conditioning, but I haven't heard anything about the basketball team doing anything out of the ordinary. And they play like it....

What have folks heard about the rest of the hoops world on this??