Sunday, September 23, 2012

Bill Self fired up for dreaded Boot Camp

KU coach Bill Self huddles with the Jayhawks after a Boot Camp conditioning session in this file photo from 2006.

Bill Self views his 10th Kansas University basketball Boot Camp as one of the most important in his decade at KU.

“I am real excited for this one, maybe more than the others because I’ve got nine guys who have never been through anything like this,” Self, KU’s coach, said of newcomers Rio Adams, Perry Ellis, Landen Lucas, Evan Manning, Ben McLemore, Zach Peters, Tyler Self, Jamari Traylor and Andrew White III. “If they look at it as punishment, it’ll be hard for them. If they look at it as an opportunity to get in great shape and a team-bonding experience, they’ll end up being very proud of themselves after they complete it.”

McLemore and Traylor were on campus for the 2011 Boot Camp, but couldn’t compete as they awaited word on their eligibility from the NCAA.

They, of course, are eligible this year and will be in KU’s practice facility at 6 a.m. today for the first of 10 up-before-the-crack-of-dawn conditioning drills.

“We’ll get through it. We always do. I’m looking forward to it,” Self said.

He could only laugh when asked if he considered scrapping Boot Camp this year, considering his Jayhawks held 10 official practices prior to last month’s four-game exhibition tour to Switzerland and Paris.

“No. No. No. I would never cancel Boot Camp. It’s too important,” Self said. “Boot Camp is something we can draw from every year. It will help provide leadership, unity and toughness. I would cancel the European trip before I’d cancel Boot Camp. When we came back from Europe, we also took two weeks off. The guys’ bodies are fine.”

Self was asked to identify the unofficial stars of Boot Camp throughout his KU years.

“When you are talking about the biggest stud of Boot Camp, it’d be hard to impress more than what Tyrel Reed did, and also Travis Releford, I’d say, has been excellent so far,” Self said.

Releford, a fifth-year senior out of Kansas City, Mo., was asked who stood out to him in the past.

“All of us,” he said. “What do you mean?

“Tyrel ... he wouldn’t lose any races. If you want to say he was the star of that, yes, Tyrel was,” Releford added of the 2011 KU graduate. “Since I’ve been here, he’s been the only one who has completely dominated.”

Boot Camp consists of sprints, defensive slides and backboard touches — all sorts of running, with no basketballs in sight.

In the past, a player or two has lost his breakfast at Boot Camp, which will run from 6 a.m. to just after 7 Monday through Friday this week and next.

“I’ve never puked,” Releford said. “There have been a few in the past, but I can’t remember. I think the last time was early-on my freshman year. The past few years, I don’t think anybody has ever puked.”

Self gave a final bit of advice for his veterans and newcomers alike.

“All it is, is convince your body you can do things you didn’t think you could do,” he stated.

Roberson has six finalists: Tyler Roberson, a 6-foot-8 senior small forward from Roselle (N.J.) Catholic who is ranked No. 29 nationally by Rivals.com, has cut his list of prospective colleges to six: KU, Kentucky, SMU, Rutgers, Syracuse, and Villanova.

“Coach Self showed me a lot of highlights of Marcus Morris,” Roberson told jayhawkslant.com, asked about last Thursday’s in-home visit. “He said that I’d be doing something similar to what Marcus was doing on offense. I watched Marcus when Kansas was on TV, and I think there are some similarities.”

Comments

Ralster Jayhawk 1 year, 6 months ago

Stepping back a bit and looking at the excreta above between bennybob and konkey, I will say this: We never, ever know the full details of even what our own coach is doing recruiting-wise. And we know even less about other programs. I guarantee you every single KU fan, myself included, gets nervous about recruiting...as all this success Self has built does require talent. But contrary to a lot of alarmist-type posters (whose clanging really doesnt change what Self is doing one iota, does it?), I keep my very real nervousness pretty close to the vest--other than sharing it at this moment. I honestly dont think I have anything to offer Bill Self regarding recruiting. But on the other hand, I will defend the winningest coach the last 6yrs running from personal slams and attacks. And will defend Weis as he deserves a "real" coach's 3-5yr chance, unlike the football-stupid disaster that preceded him. (See what I did there: Gill put us in a major, major hole with his total incompetence, thus earning the above slam. Self has done nothing but exemplary things as the face of our program, and does not deserve anyone's slam. Self is worthy of being aggressively defended.)

Scott MacWilliams 1 year, 6 months ago

Hey Jayahwk Nation --

Does anybody know if Boot Camp is exclusive to KU? I'm not seeing it, or anything similar, mentioned in reports of other teams starting their seasons.
Seems like all the other top teams would all be doing something similar, trying to get that extra edge in conditioning.

I live in Eugene, OR, and the Ducks football team is WAY serious about conditioning, but I haven't heard anything about the basketball team doing anything out of the ordinary. And they play like it....

What have folks heard about the rest of the hoops world on this??

HawkKlaw 1 year, 6 months ago

Recruiting slump? There's a debate on these boards about it, but ESPN and the likes don't seem to have noticed (read: there is none).

Talent slump? Emphatically and absolutely "NO."

Rock Chalk.

KUsmoothies 1 year, 6 months ago

I was giving bennybob the edge until the wiping comment gave me a good laugh. Konkeydong slight favorite at this point

Pitthawk34 1 year, 6 months ago

I wish I could sit in the stands and watch boot camp. Just sit up in the stands with cheetos and a cooler full of coors.

Konkis Dongington III 1 year, 6 months ago

Brock 28 minutes ago I'm glad that we have commitments from Greene and Frankamp. But Self said that he wanted - in addition to those two - a couple of game-changing bigs and a great ball-handling, athletic point guard. Who ya got? We've missed on Barber and Jackson. And it looks like we seem to be dismissing Randle, Gordon, and Shepherd. What now?

Brock, who's getting dismissed? We had an in-home with Randle a couple weeks ago. We have an in-home with Gordon tomorrow. Shepherd's coming to late night. We're pursuing Roberson too. How's that a problem exactly?

Since, like bennybob, you seem to not get recruiting, let me explain something: Recruiting is a numbers game. Most coaches pursue 4 - 6 players for every scholarship they fill. Sometimes you do better than this, but most of the time, you don't. That includes elite recruiters like Williams, K, Rick Barnes (crap coach, great recruiter). The only one who consistently does better than that ratio is Calipari, and he's probably closer to 3 - 5.

Self wanted two good pgs in this class.He targeted Frankamp, Barber, Jackson, Jordan, and Ennis. When Ennis and Jordan dropped out, he added Jones. When Jones and Barber went, he offered Peters. If we sign him or miss and sign someone else, we'll still be par for the course. We wanted two good bigs and we've looked at 10 so far, 11 if you count Parker. If we add another, we'll still be par for the course. In a 5 man class, you'd expect to look at 20 - 25 players to fill your needs. We're on track in that regard.

chriz 1 year, 6 months ago

LOVE the new mobile site!

clevelandjayhawker 1 year, 6 months ago

halfs in basketball but great post...hahah booty camp

Tony Bandle 1 year, 6 months ago

Please forgive me...I couldn't help it, but maybe Bonnie should do the same thing.

You could call in Booty Camp!!

Tony Bandle 1 year, 6 months ago

• Boot Camp in 2012 = Fourth Quarter Comebacks in 2013

• My pick for the Golden Puke Bucket Award...nine frosh, pick one!!

• My guess is most of us posters [including myself ] would not survive Boot Camp...literally.

• Alternate names: Puke Camp, Beat to Hell Camp, Cramp Camp, Crap Camp, AM S&M, Sunrise Smackdown, Dawn Destruction, Dead Men Running.

Konkis Dongington III 1 year, 6 months ago

If you're interested in a little more of what's going on with Roberson's recruitment, here's a diary post from Zagsblog:

As the field of available bigs begins to narrow, I wonder if Self is going to reach back out to Luke Cothron. For those that don't remember, Cothron was a top 50 commit in 2011, but was forced into JUCO play because of academic issues. He played the 2011 - 2012 season at Southern Idaho where he performed incredibly well. This year, he transferred to Northwest Florida St, the same school we were recruiting Chris Jones from. he's 6'9", 210, and does it all down low.

The main reason I bring Cothron up is because I'm becoming more and more convinced that Jermaine Lawrence will go to Cuse and even if he doesn't, he may not be the best fit. The kids is insanely athletic, but he's obsessed with becoming a 3pt shooter, and that's not what this team needs from the 4. Boheim might let him do it, but the team he should really play for is Duke, if that's his aspiration.

All of that said, Roberson would be a fine get, giving us a second Ellis type player to work with. If we do pick up Roberson, though, I'd still like to see us pick up a more traditional post player a'la Karviar Shepherd or the aforementioned Cothron.

clevelandjayhawker 1 year, 6 months ago

I always forget Morningstar was with this team for like 6 years, great file photo

Robert Brock 1 year, 6 months ago

Are the Hawks lowering their recruiting ambitions a notch? Looks like it...

KEITHMILES05 1 year, 6 months ago

What was Gill's "latent racial issues" you speak of?

REHawk 1 year, 6 months ago

Rio Adams, here lies your opportunity to step up to be the next Tyrel Reed. Go get 'em!

jaybate 1 year, 6 months ago

Serial Disclaimerer fails to man-up for Coach Weis.

Serial Disclaimerer fails to man-up for Coach Weis.

Serial Disclaimerer fails to man-up for Coach Weis.

Serial Disclaimerer fails to man-up for Coach Weis.

Ah the joys of macro grind it out.

jaybate 1 year, 6 months ago

• Travis made a tactical mistake. Never tell Self no one's puked for a few years...as BC starts!

• 9 about to hit the wall at once. 9 about to break through to a new level. Line up the trash cans.

• I was loyal to Coach Gill, even though I thought he was the wrong hire because he had not been recruiting BCS grade talent for 3-4 years while in the NFL and at Buffalo U. He deserved his 3-4 years to get it rebuilt "the right way." Now I am loyal to Coach Weis, even though I thought he was hired a year too soon and also probably lacked the recruiting pipeline required to turn KU around. He deserves 3-4 years to turn it around "the right way." Fans need to get off Coach Weis' back. It takes 3-4 years to do it. Each time you fire a football coach after 2 years, it is starting over from scratch. Weis could easily not win another game this season, and that has to be ok. Fans need to man-up about this, or KU will never get on the map in football. Judge Weis this year only on whether KU improves in the facet of the game he has committed to rebuilding first. Probably offense. But regardless of the judgment, he still needs 3-4 years to get to .500 to see if his system is on the way to the next step-- bowl consistency. And don't iLynch Weis the way Gill was. Let Weis have his shot.

• Coaches are hired and fired for many reasons. A bad w&l statement often just catalyses other latent issues. Mangino's declining W&L appeared to catalyse player treatment and appearance issues. Gill's bad W&L statement appeared to catalyse latent religious and racial issues. My concern with Coach Weis is that a bad W&L statement could catalyse realignment and religious issues. I have always suspected that in addition to being an experienced candidate, Weis might have been hired also to give Notre Dame a trusted wire into KUAD as part of a realignment process aiming to attract ND into the Big 12. CBernie was in charge of conference realignment. They appeared to have hired the essentially under qualified Gill previously in part as a kind of chit to keep Nebraska mollified and in the Big 12. When NU left, one of the reasons for keeping Gil left, too. Similarly, with ND out of the Big 12 picture, a reason for keeping Coach Weis could disappear too. Add to that many fundamentalist KU alums may still be smarting from fundamentalist Gill getting run early and their patience and support may have a short fuse.

Support Coach Weis now! Before we have to start from scratch yet again.

• Dave Doeren can kiss my hip pockets for talking about his team winning because it was more aggressive. Don't ever kick a professional colleague, when he is down, so you can get his job. Doeren appears to be sticking the needle in, because he got passed over for the KU job and maybe still wants it.