Kansas defeats Baylor, 92-74

• 8:30 p.m., Jan. 16, 2012
  • Allen Fieldhouse, Lawrence, KS

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Awesome babeee! KU routs Baylor, wows Dick Vitale

Kansas forward Thomas Robinson gets up for an alley-oop over Baylor defenders Perry Jones III and Anthony Jones (41) during the first half on Monday, Jan. 16, 2012 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Dick Vitale removed his headphones, leaned forward in his press row seat and proceeded to lavish praise on Kansas University’s basketball team late Monday night in Allen Fieldhouse.

“Today it was the Robinson/Taylor show. The inside/outside combination now of Taylor and Robinson is really special,” ESPN broadcasting legend Vitale said after Tyshawn Taylor matched his career high of 28 points (for the second-straight game), and Thomas Robinson chipped in 27 points and 14 rebounds in the Jayhawks’ 92-74 rout of previously undefeated Baylor.

“Robinson to me is my choice today as the Player of the Year,” Vitale added. “Kansas was great. I said this on the air: ‘This is probably the least talented team one through eight he (Bill Self) has had since he’s been at Kansas, but as a team they really believe in each other and really are playing as a unit.’”

Oh, there was a lot to praise on a night No. 7-rated KU improved to 15-3 overall and 5-0 in the league. No. 3 BU fell to 17-1, 4-1.

Senior point guard Taylor hit 10 of 14 shots, including four of six threes with six assists and five turnovers in 33 minutes. Junior power forward Robinson cashed 11 of 18 shots and five of six free throws in 35 minutes.

“In big games, the best players have got to play. Thomas played, and Tyshawn played,” Self said. “Not too many players in America played like those two did tonight.”

KU’s tallest player, 7-foot junior Jeff Withey, also was big with 10 points, 10 rebounds, three steals and three blocks in 30 minutes.

“He played like a man tonight,” Taylor gushed.

“He’s one of the best shot-blockers in the country. And those two fouls he had were not fouls,” Robinson said, cracking a big smile.

Withey went straight up and stuffed Perry Jones III, but was whistled for a foul to the crowd’s chagrin five minutes into the second half.

Also for KU, Travis Releford and Elijah Johnson chipped in 11 points apiece against BU’s zone and man-to-man defenses. Johnson played 29 minutes, leaving the court for a while in the second half after suffering a dizzy spell.

“It happens sometimes. I’m fine,” Johnson said.

The Jayhawks actually trailed, 27-22, with 5:57 left in the first half. That’s when Taylor took over, scoring 11 points in a half-ending, 17-2 run that gave KU a 39-29 lead at the break. He finished the half with 14 points to Robinson’s 12.

He also took part in perhaps the best play of the season, lobbing a pass to Robinson, who threw down a one-handed slam for KU’s second basket of the game.

“He pressed the up button and went up,” Taylor said.

Robinson admitted the vicious dunk might have been the best of his career.

“It’ll go down with the lob I caught at Arizona,” he said of a lob dunk Taylor tossed him, actually last year in Las Vegas versus Arizona.

Back to basics, the Jayhawks who led just 43-37 with 17:34 left, then went on a 16-5 run to build a 59-42 advantage. Releford had four points, Robinson three and Taylor two in that run. Up 63-52 at 10:32, KU used an 8-0 run to put the game away effectively for good.

“I think we made a statement (as far as the league race). Going out with 11 minutes (before tipoff), I told the guys we had to make a statement,” Taylor said. “The last few games we showed we can be one of the best teams.”

Self noted: “We played terrific. That’s the best game we’ve played all year. The energy level was great.”

There were an awful lot of smiles in the interview room after the game, with players joking around after KU took a one-game lead over the Bears in the standings.

“Turnovers don’t come up too much when we are winning,” Taylor said of the coaches and fans getting on him for bobbles.

Yet Self tossed a barb Taylor’s way, concerning a clutch three-pointer Taylor hit with five seconds left to conclude the first-half scoring.

“It was a called play,” Self said. “I said, ‘Go flat, let’s get Conner (Teahan) a three.’ He did exactly what I asked. He shot it himself,” Self added, smiling. “I should have said, ‘Shoot it.’ He’d have passed to Conner. We went flat, and (Taylor) was feeling it.”

The Jayhawks will meet Texas at 3 p.m. Saturday in Austin, Texas.

Comments

Brianna Zaleski 3 years, 3 months ago

Jesus... Sweet pic. That will be in a frame in the Union someday!

Proud of our guys tonight. Baylor has more talent than us as a whole, but we are a tough team who is well coached. I can't say enough how much I love the way Kansas BBall plays since Self got here. We win a lot of games on our toughness. And that's not something we could say about our previous regime. Love Roy, but its the truth.

lv_jhwk 3 years, 3 months ago

Perhaps I do believe the hype. So what...its everything else that makes a player (and a team) that they lack.

Ed Brown 3 years, 3 months ago

Sorry but I hve to agree with you. Baylor is loaded or bear or with bears however you want to say it. They have about 7 guys with over 7' wingspan wich is great for Syracuse but not as good with a less experienced coach like Drew but he has put something together that is a big leap from what happened just before him if you remember the basketball player murdering the othe player just before Drew was hired. You can't be 17-0 without talent and there were only a couple undefeated teams until Lawrence popped up on map!

Great game and nice to see the rest of the team provide the support when needed. This was perhaps one of the better if not best displays of team play since HCBS showed up in town!

RCJH Go KU!

Brianna Zaleski 3 years, 3 months ago

Baylor is a more talented team. Pound for pound. They have more athleticism, height and length than us, not to mention they are deep. Can you imagine what Bill Self would get out of that roster? Scott Drew can obviously recruit, but can't coach his talent.

The only hype I don't buy into is the notion that you might have something intelligent to say. You get on here and put down posters w/ ur snarky remarks w/out contributing anything meaningful to the board. So get f-ed. Quit posting. Permanently.

lee3022 3 years, 3 months ago

Talent is as talent does? This night there is no question which is the more talented team.

wildjayhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

mangin, you don't know anything about basketball, Baylor has a lot more talent then KU by far. How about KU going to Baylor and see what happens. You better believe the hype.

martyks 3 years, 3 months ago

I'm sure they have more athleticism than KU, but more talent? No way. Proof's in the pudding. We beat them to 50 50 balls. We out rebounded them by a big difference. We out shot them. We out defended them. It's one game, granted, but we passed the test. They failed. There's a difference betweeen athleticism and talent... and talent almost always wins out.

hdotk 3 years, 3 months ago

No need to get so defensive. Baylor does have more talent. They have more pro's and lottery picks than KU has, and their bench is better than KU's. Kansas is a better team but Baylor is more talented. I'd rather be the better team than be more talented.

packywacky88 3 years, 3 months ago

Gotta love the "Oh S*&# " look on PJIII's face. Priceless.

LAJayhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

Two big things stood out to me as reasons how they hammered these guys (and sorry, going to repeat myself a bit from the Keegan ratings):

1) TT equaled his career high in points with 28 two games in a row, but did it with 7 less shot attempts. After the first 5 minutes, he was simply fantastic.

2) Offensive Rebounding. We just destroyed them on the offensive glass. Withey had 9 of his 10 boards of the offensive side. NINE!! 14 offensive rebounds when we shot 57.4% from the floor.... Not sure how we didn't win by 40.....

Great game. Easily the best they've played so far this year. Sitting in the driver's seat for the conference title. If they can run the table at home, they probably only need to go 5-4 on the road to at least share the title. If that happens, any doubt Bill Self is national coach of the year?

Alohahawk 3 years, 3 months ago

It's been said that when a team shoots a lot of 3's, they have an advantage on the offensive boards. Today, I'd say that KU rebounded better because they kept their 3's to a minimum. JW had the height in close and TRob had the muscle. In previous games they weren't always in sinc with each other, but in this game they worked well in tandem. Definitely, both put forth more effort than Baylor.

Alohahawk 3 years, 3 months ago

Kye Clark 3 years, 3 months ago

Good post. I had said yesterday that we needed to get back on the boards after having been out-rebounded in 2 or the previous 3 games.

One thing I disagree with is your prediction that we can share the league title with 4 losses. I don't see many other teams beating Baylor. Maybe someone gets hot from 3 and hands them another loss, but I just don't see any other teams in the league beating them. In my opinion they should be favored in every game from here on out, including at Misery. If we lose in Waco, I think we can only afford one more.

LAJayhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

You very well could be right. I think it will to be very difficult, however, for anyone to make it through 18 games with only two losses, but Baylor certainly could. I think Baylor at least splits games with mizzou, and losses somewhere else. So, I'll split the difference with you and say 3 losses will assure at least a tie. :-)

Sam Constance 3 years, 3 months ago

Baylor has never made it through the 16-game grind with fewer than five losses.

I know this is a different team than years past, but 1) the coach is the same, 2) the basic offensive/defensive philosophy is the same, and perhaps most importantly, 3) they haven't experienced the night-in, night-out determination to win games at a 70% clip, let alone a near-90% rate.

I will be genuinely shocked if Baylor escapes the Big 12 with a record of 16-2, seeing as how only one team has ever gone through the Big 12 with 16 wins.

My opinion? Saying that Baylor should be favored in every game on out gives too much weight to things like athleticism and length.

lee3022 3 years, 3 months ago

p>Kenpom.com projects Baylor to finish with a league record of 13-5 (although predicting individual losses to MU and KU to come). This is a good measure. Kansas is projected to a league record of 15-3 with only a loss to MU specifically.

Mike Bratisax 3 years, 3 months ago

TT was at his best. I'm sure a lot of coaches watching were left thinking, "How do we stop that?". In the past it has mostly been TT shutting down TT. Too erratic..Not enough focus. Now he seems to be getting it all together.

lv_jhwk 3 years, 3 months ago

I agree with Vitale...yes, this team does not have the overall ability that past teams have had.

In part because of that, regardless of how the rest of the season turns out (a brief funk wouldn't surprise me any more than continued strong play), I have to admit that I've enjoyed watching this team as much as any of Self's squads. Ever since the Davidson game, I don't think there's been a moment that I've doubted the team's work ethic, desire, and toughness. This doesn't mean that they've been outstanding at all times by any means, but there's just something about a group putting forth hard-nosed, maximum effort that makes at least this fan proud.

lv_jhwk 3 years, 3 months ago

On a related note, is it just me or does the team seem to have finally gotten comfortable in its own skin, so to speak? No longer do they seem as careful, trying not to make the mistake which in turn leads to a different mistake. If so, more credit to Self, who likely had to come to accept the "occasional bad with all the good" style that seems to suit this group best much more than he expected or wanted.

LAJayhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

Reps. It's all about the reps. So many on this team had picked up very little playing time before this season. The more reps they get, the more comfortable they get. With that said, I don't mean to diminish Self's coaching effort. It has been spectacular.

nuleafjhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

+1,000,000

(Btw - Self can't recruit. Or coach)

ku_foaf 3 years, 3 months ago

Call me Charlie Brown. I know sarcasm when I hear it.

I haven't seen much of Merv, but Kevin Young and Justin Wesley have been two good additions to the team. Coach Self might just know a good player when he sees one.

actorman 3 years, 3 months ago

Yeah, it's great to be a Jayhawk, isn't it? No other program has been able to "rebuild" quite the way we have.

Dirk Medema 3 years, 3 months ago

It seems to me that the team has played tougher since the game a couple weeks ago that Travis led. Was it a game with him opening the game diving for a loose ball. The whole team seems so much tougher lately.

Alohahawk 3 years, 3 months ago

Mentioned this under Keegan's Ratings. Over the last two or three weeks, adding McLemore and Traylor has raised the competition during practice sessions. Not to say that repetitions and coaching hasn't improved the Jayhawks, but I believe that some of the credit could be directed their way.

KULA 3 years, 3 months ago

Welcome back to the Top 5, Jayhawks! Did you enjoy your brief visit to the Teens?

Benjamin Piehler 3 years, 3 months ago

I'd love a top; but Id be surprised if the East Coast folks let us gain more than a couple positive spots.

Benjamin Piehler 3 years, 3 months ago

Sry. I'd love a top 5 spot; but I'd be surprised if the hawks make it that high, even with the win... Not that we don't deserve it.

KULA 3 years, 3 months ago

Doesn't matter what the polls say--Kansas IS one of the Top 5 teams in the country.

LAJayhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

Well, they looked like it last night. That's all I know.

RockCaCO3 3 years, 3 months ago

Really? Dude, its time for your meds.

Ed Brown 3 years, 3 months ago

+1 or at least a checkup to see if they need adjusting. just sayin

wildjayhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

mangino, get off the blog as your ignorance is not worth reading.

LAJayhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

Well, he was "Pac 12 or Bust."

Maybe he busted.

Benjamin Piehler 3 years, 3 months ago

I'll take a Bill Self down season over any "Best in 20 Years Baylor/Mizzou" Team

Jeremy Paul 3 years, 3 months ago

My only complaint about the game is that with about a minute left, the crowd started chanting "Overrated.......overrated....." Don't you people realize how moronic that is? If you're saying that the #3 team in the country --the team we just whupped up and down the floor-- is overrated, then that completely diminishes the outstanding victory. I'd like to hear from people who were there last night: what were you thinking?

rwhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

Completely agree! It's like Nebraska, Alabama, or Ohio St. rushing the field after a football game to bring down the goal posts.

Benjamin Piehler 3 years, 3 months ago

Ummm... KU does that. Students throw the goal posts in Potter Lake traditionally. You haven't seen it in awhile due to the lack of upsets. (I thought they might after the Georgia Tech win.)

LAJayhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

I think his point was the top teams don't do that.

rwhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

A rare humble poster. You are better than most of us and have my respect.

Mike Bratisax 3 years, 3 months ago

First time I saw the goal posts in Potter Lake was after a UCLA game '78? in which we blew a 28 pt lead but held on for the tie.

Casey Gee 3 years, 3 months ago

I agree. I was at the game and when that chant started, I would say that half of the crowd was trying to get them to stop, but the other half of the crowd kept going. It was really annoying.

JD Roth 3 years, 3 months ago

Apparently some of the students need to be educated in proper etiquette in terms of what we do and don't do at Allen Fieldhouse. Knock off the nonsense!!

Phoghorn 3 years, 3 months ago

+694! They also need to stop yelling "Chiefs", stop WOOOING during the Rock Chalk Chant, and stop doing the second part of the chant at auctioneer tempo!

MimiHawk 3 years, 3 months ago

I'm afraid they are speeding up the chant because they are so excited to get to the Wooo. I hate the wooo.

ku_foaf 3 years, 3 months ago

While I understand what you and KUfaninPA are saying,basically that we have more class than that...

Hardly the first time, used to be a common thing. It has been such a rare thing to have a team ranked higher than us come to the Fieldhouse that you may not remember!

I remember a few games where this was heard in the Larry Brown era against OK, MU and Memphis State.

We still get it from Big 12 members, I guarantee. Texas, A&M and Baylor have all chanted it at us, so payback is a dog with puppies.

MorganR 3 years, 3 months ago

I agree KU fans should not employ chants like "over-rated." I also appreciate that KU fans don't rush the court after major victories; in large part because KU is so accustomed to winning big games like the victory over Baylor. I would like to think KU students had more class than to engage in trite actions that belittle opponents. This is only a game. Even after the Civil War, President Lincoln was asked about how the South should be treated. Lincoln said “Let ‘em up gently…”

MimiHawk 3 years, 3 months ago

President Lincoln once said, “If I went West, I think I would go to Kansas." Wise man.

nuleafjhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

I agree 100% KUfaninPA -

I wasn't there, but this has always been one of my biggest pet peeves. To me it just says " well, you MUST be overrated because our team isn't good enough to beat a really good team ".

I hope I never hear this chant from a KU crowd again.

Mike Kendall 3 years, 3 months ago

Yes, I agree. Hopefully, the "overrated chant" doesn't come back to haunt us." We still have a lot of tough road games left on the schedule.

Ron Prichard 3 years, 3 months ago

Throw in the "Wooo" at the end of the Rock Chalk chant and it's like our fans have never learned what it means to be a Jayhawk. Man, I hate that "Wooo."

Phoghorn 3 years, 3 months ago

Every time I hear the WOOO, I feel like yelling YEEEHAWWW just to illustrate how ridiculous the RCC sounds with unwelcome noise that detracts from the original sound.

packywacky88 3 years, 3 months ago

I know it has been said before, but the "home of the Chiefs" thing is a little low rent also.

NebraskaJayhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

I'll be the one to disagree. It was a huge win and it did show that Baylor is in fact over rated. This chant has always been a staple when a lower ranked team beats an overated team. Baylor is not the #3 team in the nation and I thought the chant served well. There is nothing wrong with having a hostile crowd, which we do have. To be anything but hostile because of the want of being politically correct is a bunch of horse manure. Having an elitist attitude that we are always and always will be better than a team like Baylor is what gets us losses in the NCAA to mid-majors. Sorry, but it just does. I know I will be attacked for being the one to agree with the crowd last night, but oh well. I liked it. It's my story and I'm sticking to it.

NebraskaJayhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

And that said...we are NOT a top 5 team. The moment this team starts thinking they are is when we begin losing a grasp on the 8th consecutive B12 title. Great game last night fellas. Keep up the hard work.

wildjayhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

Being from Nebraska, you fit right in with you ignorance about "overrated" thats the Nebraska stupid way as we all know. Nebraska can't play football, basketball, or baseball in the big 10 and they couldn't in the big 12.

NebraskaJayhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

First of all, I'm not from Nebraska. I was born and raised in Kansas and always will be a Kansan. It's funny that you assume I am from Nebraska just because of my username. You and hihawk must be brothers. I find that in and of itself hillarious because it shows your own ignorance.

Secondly, to say that Nebraska can't play football or baseball is just rediculous. You probably don't even know that Dr. James Naismith was the head basketball coach for a while at Nebraska too. I know....heresy, but it's true. Hope that doesn't hurt your feelings.

I hate Nebraska athletics as much as anyone...probably most here on this site, but I sure get tired of defending ignorant statments such as the one you just made.

wildjayhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

Maismith didn't coach at Nebr. you don't know anything about James. Just shows how stupid you really are.

LAJayhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

I certainly hope you are not attacked for voicing an opinion, but, unfortunately, that happens with some frequency on this site (and, really, every anonymous comment board out there).

That being said, I think you may be missing the point. Calling for us to not use the overrated chant isn't about being politically correct. Simply, the chant diminishes the victory. Last night was a huge win. By chanting "overrated," the fans are saying that the team we beat is not that good, and, therefore, it was not actually a big win. That's what [most] people who oppose the chant get upset with. There is no reason to diminish ourselves after a victory. Use the "Rock Chalk" chant. That, to me anyway, is a MUCH MORE hostile chant. Everyone in the sport knows what that means when it comes. But no reason to say "this is not a big win" when the crowd was going crazy the entire night proving otherwise.

You say that Baylor is not a top a top 3 team. I would disagree with you -- Baylor is a very, very good team -- but that is beside the point. It's about diminishing our own victory and announcing it to anyone watching ESPN at the time. Personally, I just find that self-defeating.

NebraskaJayhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

I don't see how it dimishes the victory, but you too are entitled to your opinion. I love the Rock Chalk chant as much as anyone, and it sounded awesome last night. However, that chant of "overated" (to me) sent a message to those Texas boys that they aren't all that. We can disagree all we want about Baylor being a top three team, and I will agree wholeheartedly with you that they are extremely talented...probably moreso than we are across the board. But that's why I stated that we are not a top three team either. I think we have the potential to be dangerous at the end of the year, however. Baylor? They've peaked in my opinion and don't have the coaching to get any better. My two cents....peace, bro.

bad_dog 3 years, 3 months ago

Perhaps it was an attempt at "payback". Baylor fans were chanting "high school football" at the football team during the 2010 beatdown, I mean "game" at Waco.

ku_foaf 3 years, 3 months ago

I've been to a few KU vs Baylor games in Waco. Their crowd has been very rude to our players, so no real sympathy.

swavity 3 years, 3 months ago

God, I really hate this argument. The whole "I'm above 'overrated' chants because they're stupid and illogical" is, frankly, pretentious and hipster.

First of all, the chant is not a mechanism for the purpose of expressing the crowd's collective opinion on the rankings; it's to taunt and get under the other team's skin, like any number of other chants that aren't taken so literally.

Second, if Baylor is rated higher than Kansas...then doesn't that make them overrated if Kansas fans believe their team is better? What would you prefer - that our fans commend the opponent on being the better team and relish in our astounding luck in winning by 18 simply because that somehow makes the win more miraculous, rather than a exceptional team playing well and enforcing their will at home?

lurkerhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

No because it's called sportsmanship. It's disrespectful. Just as Baylor players skipping the introduction is disrespectful.

LAJayhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

"...like any number of other chants that aren't taken so literally."

Huh. That's interesting, since so many seem to be taking it so literally...

Benjamin Piehler 3 years, 3 months ago

I was at the game. The chant was mostly coming from the student section. There were a few Baylor fans goading the students for a lot of the game. I couldn't see them, but the students frequently turned around and boo'd them. If I had to guess, it was more of a taunt than an assessment of rankings. I'm not really pleased about it, but if the student section brings that kind of emotion to every game, I could care less.

Hank Cross 3 years, 3 months ago

No problem with the "Over-rated" chant b/c as was shown, BU didn't deserve to be No.3. They hadn't played any top teams and got exposed when they did.

As for the "we don't taunt" meme - what do you call doing the RCJH Chant on the road? I do it and support it. But let's face it, when you do that in opponent's gym it's like rubbing a little salt in the wounds.

HAWKTOPIA 3 years, 3 months ago

Rock Chalk! This team played a great game that exposed a real scoring personality. When this team goes to the tapes, and irons out a couple of peripheral errors, they are going to improve some more.

Most of our early mistakes were simply bad pass selection, getting trapped with the ball, or the wrong people shooting from the wrong spot. All this is easily remedied, because they did so much correct.

There is a funny similarity to TT and Withey. You can watch them do so much correctly, and then in a moment, do stupid fundamental stuff wrong that drives you crazy. With TT it is usually "what were you thinking!" and with Jeff it is "just squeeze the ball and slam it, " or "what are you shooting from there for?"

Great game guys, my hands are sore from all the high fives!

RCJHKU!

Clarence Haynes 3 years, 3 months ago

What a performance by TRob, TT, Jeff, EJ, Travis and the rest of the 'hawks. Loved that game so much that I watched the replay on ESPN later during the night! Rock Chalk!

Mike Barnhart 3 years, 3 months ago

Listen up recruits: Thomas Robinson was ranked as the 24th best prospect in the class of 2009 and Tyshawn Taylor was ranked number 77 in 2008. Today, both are all-american candidates headed to the NBA.

Want to get better? Want to improve your draft stock? Want to spend a couple of years learning your trade and maximizing your NBA value? There's no better place than KU!

NomadHawk 3 years, 3 months ago

Amen! There is no team in the country that can offer better player development than the D-man HCBS tandem!

LAJayhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

Quote from ESPN's Dan Shulman on Twitter before tip off last night:

"Of all the talented big men in college ball this year, something tells me Thomas Robinson is going to be the best pro. #jayhawks"

Then ESPN's Recruiting Insider tweeted this point this morning:

"Thomas Robinson came to KU with half the skill set @cwalkertime23 [Chris Walker, #8 in class of 2013] already has. It's scary to think What Danny Manning could turn Walker into."

A lot of people out there are learning what we've all known for a while, and they are starting to finally talk about it.

Benjamin Piehler 3 years, 3 months ago

Our strength and conditioning in combination with coaching under Danny Manning makes KU a farm for monsters. Look at what the Morris kids were able to do over an offseason. If you are a big kid wanting to go pro, you can't do better than KU!

Timmay97 3 years, 3 months ago

Terrific game by our Jayhawks!!! They made us all proud and gave 110% effort.....especially Tyshawn and Thomas.

Just my own personal opinion....Baylor is going NOWHERE playing defense like they did Monday night. Credit Thomas and Tyshawn for breaking it down and WORKING to get their baskets, but their bigs don't have a freakin' clue how to play D (regardless of Acy's shot blocking totals). Their team defense is dreadful. It didn't matter whether you played zone or man, KU was breaking it down easy.

Granted, KU is one the best half courts teams in the nation......always will be in Bill Self's system. But Baylor didn't show me ANYTHING on the defensive side of the ball.

Long story short.....KU truly does have the better coach (and coaching staff for that matter). A bunch of you mentioned it above and on other posts....come to Kansas if you truly want your game to improve. There's nothing that Bill Self can't teach.

Great win boys! Now.....let's see how we perform against quality teams on the road.

Mike Barnhart 3 years, 3 months ago

Never zone a Bill Self coached team. N E V E R !!!!

Sam Constance 3 years, 3 months ago

It's right up there with starting a land war in Asia and having a battle of wits with a Sicilian when death is on the line in the gamut of things you just don't do.

gdkadjayhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

No more rhyming now, I mean it!

Anybody want a peanut?

NomadHawk 3 years, 3 months ago

T-Rob was tearing Baylor's zone apart and showed great ability to marginalize their double-teams. After switching to man-to-man, Baylor's D simply had no answer for Tyshawn and never gave each other help when he drove. After Ty put 'em in a big hole before the half, they just stopped playing D all together. Way to demoralize 'em boys!! I just hope T-Rob gets a chance to dismantle Syracuse's zone in the NCAAs!

Timmay97 3 years, 3 months ago

Alohahawk 3 years, 3 months ago

+1 Marvelous. Simply marvelous. Couldn't have said it better.

MorganR 3 years, 3 months ago

Congratulations to the players and coaches on another excellent game. While Mr. Robinson and Mr. Taylor had their typical great stats, I was impressed that every player on KU's team had a great game and was well prepared for Baylor. Thank you all for another wonderful memory.

packywacky88 3 years, 3 months ago

No Morgan, thank you for your post. It was well thought out and very concise.

Martin Rosenblum 3 years, 3 months ago

Just think how much McLemore and Traylor are wanting to be out there playing. And, how much they're learning by observing and practicing under Bill and Danny. It may be coincidence, but since they've been able to practice, we've seemed more confident and less like the team we saw in the first couple of games of the season. We'll need them to step into some huge shoes while we look back on this "down year" that many have suggested we would have! The only thing "down" right now is the ball being thrown down!

Chris Shaw 3 years, 3 months ago

Some Shawesome observations from this game:

1) Personally, the most important statistic from my standpoint for this team thus this season is 3 point FG attempts. I know it may sound like a broken record from me, I think this statistic outside of maybe TO's is the most crucial to this team's succss come tourney time.

With that said, if you take away TT's first 10 minutes of the game he did a great job of controlling tempo. When you control tempo defensively, you control it offensively and the result is 6-11 from 3 point range. Awesome, Fantastic, and Simply Out of this World Stat.

2) I have to give 4 Player of the game awards to (No particular order) TT, T-Rob, Relly (For his defense), and J-Withey (That block was so freaking clean on PJIII).

I'm so proud of TT for bouncing back after that maddening first 10 minutes. I mean, those first 4 TO's were absolutely and utterly mind blowing, but that's who the kid is. It does still concern me to an extent, but when you play the next 30 minutes the way he did, we'll talk about those 4 TO"s another day. I remember all 4 pretty vividly so we can get a discussion if you all like, but I'm going to ignore it for now.

I'm just really happy about this time and I like this team a great deal. It's a frustrating and maddening team at times, but I like it. Limit those 3 point FG attempts and get a good draw in the Big Dance, let's see if this team can do what nobody thought it could do.

SCHNBALL 3 years, 3 months ago

memhawk, did you not look at the box score, look what Traylor did last night:

Who needs Taylor when you have Traylor. What a freshman we have scoring 28 while sitting on the bench!!

Jamari Traylor 33 10 14 4 6 4 7 0 2 2 6 1 1 5 0 28

Just think what he can do next year when he gets off of the bench, May go for 56!!

I sure thought I saw Tyshawn last night pass a 3 up in the corner in the second half and drive to basket for an easy 2. What a senior move!!

rwhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

Nice catch! Anybody know if he was in dress shoes for all of this? Imagine what will happen with sneakers on!

Martin Rosenblum 3 years, 3 months ago

Shhh....don't tell the NCAA! When Tyshawn and Jamari switched bodies, the result was a super scoop to the hoop, dipsy-doo uber-guard. Now if we can get BenMac to switch with TRel, we've got new weapons for sure.

Bill Shaw 3 years, 3 months ago

Thankfully, I missed ALL of Vitale's comments. I had the sound off on the TV & listened to Bob & Chris on LAZR 105.9 internet feed. The less I hear Vitale (Duke's #1 fan), the better.

nuleafjhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

I think Dickie V may be cheating on Duke with Syracuse. He only mentioned them about 79 times last night.

RockCaCO3 3 years, 3 months ago

Vitale actually gave KU a little bit of love last night. He gave T-Rob alot of love.

Mike Kendall 3 years, 3 months ago

Yes, that was a pleasant surprise. Mr. Vitale, you did fine! Thanks!

VaJay 3 years, 3 months ago

Is that a free feed? I had to keep hitting the mute button when DV was gushing about Duke, NC, Syracuse, etc. and then he had the gall to say that KU was probably in his final four of places to play (and he included NC as one of the top four!) - just top four, are you kidding me!!!!

wildjayhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

You must not have pushed the button hard enough as you say you heard DV was gushing about Duke, NC, Syracuse, etc. and then he had the gall to say that KU was probably in his final four of places to play (and he included NC as one of the top four!). Come on knothead, you were listening all a long.

VaJay 3 years, 3 months ago

Get out of the wrong side of the bed today? Thanks for the nice remark.

rwhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

"PYSO" should be this year's motto! I'm going to make it a regular appearance on this board from now on.

wildjayhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

Must be something wrong with your ears in hearing, or the thing that they are attached too..

KPOP 3 years, 3 months ago

agreed. he ruins a broadcast for me. He must have nude pictures of people in high places to keep his job. "I really believe" he is an ACC suck up baby. His mindless chatter and yelling should be banned from the airwaves.

Ludwig Supraphonic 3 years, 3 months ago

Dick Vitale gives us some compliments though always returns to his true love. AFH always in the same sentence with Cameron and Smith Center. Discussion of Baylor's zone leads to slobbering over the Syracuse zone and a man-crush on Boeheim.

Sam Constance 3 years, 3 months ago

He doesn't actually mention the Smith Center in the same air as Cameron and AFH, does he?

I can't remember having heard that specific comparison, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen. Vitale says a lot of nonsensical, credibility-killing things.

Cameron and AFH on a similar level. Perfectly reasonable.

Mentioning the soulless, cold, ginormous Dean Dome in the same breath as two of the most active, small-gym-style venues in the country is insanity, even by DV's standard.

Ron Franklin 3 years, 3 months ago

Withey was an outsider until 5 games ago.

He wasn't fitting in with the guys on the team.

Tyshawn made an effort to befriend him and invite him into his circle.

Since then, the entire teams' new-found chemistry has ignited Withey's fire.

It's amazing what confidence can do.

Witnessing Tyshawn begin to take Withey under his wing has made me extremely proud of Ty.

JayDocMD 3 years, 3 months ago

I agree. I also noticed this change over the course of the season. Early on it seemed no one helped up Withey when he was on the court. After a good play I wasn't seeing the high fives or running butt-bumps or whatever they are doing these days. Now they are congratulating him on his play and encouraging him on the court. Good to see.

Benjamin Piehler 3 years, 3 months ago

Don't forget back to back 20+ point showings by TT himself!

jayhawker4real 3 years, 3 months ago

Just proves that selflessly helping and doing good deeds for others results in unforseen rewards. We have all known Tysahwn has this in him, and I'm thrilled he has found a way to thrive with his new leadership role this season.

gdkadjayhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

Great observation 4real. Good words for all of us to live by.

BCRavenJHawkfan 3 years, 3 months ago

So now Vitale gushes over KU. Well, how could he not after that performance.

I was really amazed at what I watched. KU really broke Baylor's willingness to go inside and that was nice to see. I was also pleased that the defense stuck with Baylor's shooting savants and didn't let them have many looks (closing minutes not withstanding).

And the Withey block, Oh My! And PGIII knew he had been stuffed cleanly as he genuflected to the official for showing pitty on him.

jazzhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

Already one of my favorite teams. I would say this is truly THE testament to Coach Self and his staff. If they are blessed to make even a decent run come March, Coach Self is the National Coach of the Year, hands down. Probably his most masterful job so far at KU.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

jayhawker4real 3 years, 3 months ago

I remeber a similar team from 198...no I'm not going to jinx it.

Jeremy Paul 3 years, 3 months ago

Dan Patrick is talking about how great Allen Fieldhouse is, and how he got to see a game there and it was great, and then he goes on to gush about how he got to see Jason Kidd play there. What a bunch of baloney. Who goes to a wonderful, historic, energetic basketball arena and is excited about seeing a guy for the visiting team? I'm sure the crowd and the excitement was a little more pronounced for the home team, loser.

Douglas Creelman 3 years, 3 months ago

I definitely like the energy and focus the team played with last night. If they show this level each game, they will be a serioius force to contend with for the rest of the season and well in to March! Even though they won the I-State game, I felt they were playing down to the competition. Let's take last nights game and use it as the baseline for how they have to play night in and night out!

Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

Ron Prichard 3 years, 3 months ago

I laughed at Dickie V's top 4 places to play. The Museum? WTH? I've never heard Rupp or the Dean Dome listed as two of the toughest or loudest places to play. Cameron, yes, but not the other two. There are definitely louder, tougher places to play. I've never been there, but I've always heard the Pit in New Mexico was amazing. Don't forget about Gallagher Iba and OSU.

Dickie V is just a front runner and he will always place Duke, UNC, and Kentucky above the rest. Occasionally, he includes KU in that mix. The rest of ESPN is much better. KU, TRob, TT and Allen Fieldhouse got love all over the place last night on Sportscenter.

KGphoto 3 years, 3 months ago

With 9,000 seats it's worthy of comparison to The Coors Events Center in Boulder. ; )

danmoore 3 years, 3 months ago

Scott Van Pelt said Cameron and Rupp were good but AFH is the best.

gdkadjayhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

The Pit is amazing, but AFH is superior, especially for a game like we just witnessed.

KansasComet 3 years, 3 months ago

This team is coming together. It seems everyone knows their role.

danno1313 3 years, 3 months ago

Dear Baylor,

Know your place.

Signed,

KU

JD Roth 3 years, 3 months ago

Speaking of Drew, did you catch that post game handshake??

Kye Clark 3 years, 3 months ago

Watched the game at a sports bar and never once was able to hear Vitale. It was a great atmosphere, packed, all KU fans.

The thing I think I was most grateful for last night was that the Syracuse-Pitt game ended when it did, and we were switched over to the main event in time to see TRob's ferocious lob dunk! Seriously, I get so tired of the Big East. Jamie Dixon calling a timeout down 8 points without the ball and under 10 seconds left. Ridiculous.

bad_dog 3 years, 3 months ago

Indeed, ict. What was even more irritating to me was after they took the time out, Pitt didn't even try to score. They brought the ball in and just dribbled it around like they had the lead. Why even call the time out? Were they discussing seating arrangements for their bus ride home?

Kye Clark 3 years, 3 months ago

Actually if I'm remembering right, Pitt didn't have the ball. They had just scored and called a timeout. Syracuse was the one dribbling it out. I guess the thinking was that if they (Pitt) didn't get the steal, just let it go. Was still frustrating, just because even if they had gotten the steal, and let's say a lightning quick 3, they would still be down by more than one score with maybe...7 seconds left (best case scenario)?

I'm sure it was a teaching moment, but whatever!

Kye Clark 3 years, 3 months ago

As for Bad_dog's explanation of what happened - see my reply above.

Regarding why they don't switch, I'm sure they're contractually obligated to stay on the Big East game. Not good news for us, but it's the way it is. Normally it's not a big deal for me because I've got the game streaming on ESPN3 at home, but I was out with some fellow Jayhawk fans last night.

Alohahawk 3 years, 3 months ago

I was ranting so hard when that timeout came with just 9 1/2 seconds left. I was afraid they were going to shelve the KU/Baylor game for post game interviews with Booheim. Luckily, Pitt/Crean wasn't within two baskets at the end or they'd still be calling timeouts. ( Probably to discuss what diapers to buy for next year's recruits.)

jayhawker4real 3 years, 3 months ago

What's truly crazy is ESPN has put an extra half hour in there. The games used to be at 7pm and 9pm Eastern and now they're 7pm and 9:30pm Eastern. Nobody but the Big East could have figured out a way to make already overly long boring end games last throughout this extra half hour plus another ten minutes.

Kye Clark 3 years, 3 months ago

I do believe the schedule was different yesterday, because of MLK day. I had made the same comment to somebody, and he told me that the Pitt-Syracuse game hadn't started until 6:30 (our time). So while still frustrating, I don't believe they stretched it out that long.

rwhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

I was annoyed. However, if I was a coach, I'd be thinking that although we lost this game, you never know when we might be down by 5 with 9 seconds left. I'd use this as an opportunity to have the players try and then break down their execution in the film room.

Sam Constance 3 years, 3 months ago

I almost lost an HDTV when that timeout was called.

And if I had lost the TV, I was ready to buy a plane ticket to Pittsburgh to give Jamie Dick-son a piece of my fist... er, mind.

wildjayhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

Baylor is one heck of a good team, they have good talent and a great coach. They will go far in the tournment, watchout. This was just one game on KU's court.

Nick Cole 3 years, 3 months ago

Great coach? What exactly has Scott Drew won? Very good recruiter, but as far as x's and o's go, really not anything special.

Ron Prichard 3 years, 3 months ago

Scott Drew is not a great coach. Bill Self put a coaching clinic on him Monday night. Absent that, Drew has never been considered a great coach. Great recruiter, yes. Great coach, no.

lrahardja 3 years, 3 months ago

This talented Baylor team will be itching to return the favor on Feb 8 in Waco. Don't get too excited, it's a long season. Get ready and play that D. RCJH!!!

refugee 3 years, 3 months ago

WOW, we really dodged a bullet there. It's a good thing Scott Drew didn't have anyone reading the comments here after the ISU game. Had he read jaybate's amazing analysis of the ISU defensive strategy we were DOOMED. He had the genius to suggest that teams try to deny TRob the ball. Nobody had ever contemplated this before, according to jaybate, other than he and Fred Hoiberg. Since Fred unveiled this radical new strategy, jaybate predicted an offensive collapse. Good thing Baylor didn't learn this secret...

Benjamin Piehler 3 years, 3 months ago

Did Baylor attempt to double team TRob at all? I don't recall... It seemed like TRob was able to do whatever he wanted all night, unlike the ISU game. I don't have much respect for Drew as a coach. He brings in some talent, but I can't honestly say I've ever seen him make a good adjustment.

wildjayhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

Drew is a very good coach and has recruited well, this is just one game in the field house, we will see what KU is made of away from the phog. We do remember Davidson, right? hawkinator, you don't know anything.

Benjamin Piehler 3 years, 3 months ago

You're breaking my heart.

Like I said, he recruited well. But that's it. What does Davidson have to do with Drew being a good coach? You have yet to provide any actual insight. Name one good coaching move Drew made last night asides from calling a timeout to shut the crowd up.

Brak 3 years, 3 months ago

LOL coming from the guy that posted the exact same comments within an hour of each other, you must be a regular brain surgeon. Sorry to break the news to you buddy but Drew is an awful coach, thats why he has them play zone, makes no adjustments during the game, and plays a weak non-con. You are right though it will be tougher to play them on the road, thats why I'm only predicting we beat them by 15.

wildjayhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

Hey moron Brak, this is one game, don't you get it stupid? There is more games to play, get your head out of your @$$.

Bion Ostrander 3 years, 3 months ago

Best game by far for KU last night, I was at the game and have had tickets since the Larry Brown era. Its difficult to compare crowd noise, but this may have been the loudest I have heard AFH on a consistent basis the entire game, plus we had to stand the entire game and we have never done that (not that I'm complaining - - no wine and cheese butts here).

Re: Vitale, don't get too caught up in any of his comments about TRob as player of the year, or his accolades for TT. Vitale's love affair with a player/team is only the next game away, he always loves the team and players the best in the game he is announcing.

Self was worried about 1 day of prep time and 30 minutes of practice before this game. Maybe this is the approach to use for all big games...It sure would be nice to bottle and sell whatever was going on with KU last night!!

TT's ability to finish at the bucket was uncanny, I hope he carries that confidence forward. TRob/Withey owned the boards, TR and EJ in good supporting roles. I guess if I could write a script for scoring, rebounding, balance, and not relying on the 3-pointer - - what happened last night would be perfect for each game going forward.

The starters played a lot of minutes against the 2nd best team in the league, with subs only logging 37 minutes. Self has said he wants 55 or so minutes out of his bench. Don't know if that is good or bad, or if KU can keep up that pace all year, but maybe that is what KU will have to do against the better teams.

I shouldn't complain about the refereeing since it was fairly even, but calling those 2 fouls on Withey 30 feet from the bucket for bumping a guard when that happens between the guards all game long is what drives me crazy about Big 12 refs. Hey, I gotta find something to complaint about!

Rock Chalk....with or without the Whooo, who cares in a win like that!

KGphoto 3 years, 3 months ago

And taking away Withey's poster block of PJIII was criminal.

wildjayhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

This was close to sex and a movie.I hate sex in the movies. Tried it once. the seat folded up, the drink spilled and - that ice, well,it really chilled the mood.

Benjamin Piehler 3 years, 3 months ago

............

Please stop posting. Forever.

Phoghorn 3 years, 3 months ago

Another dating tip...always take your old girlfriends bras off the ceiling fan before bringing your new girlfriend over.

kubiggestfan 3 years, 3 months ago

Loved this game....Robinson and Taylor were phenomenal....GO JAYHAWKS !

Tony Bandle 3 years, 3 months ago

Sometimes it's the little things that make the difference:

1] Have you all noticed the increased intensity and fire shown by the team coincidental to the introduction of Jamari and BenMac into practice? Wait till those two kids get on court next year.

2] Nice subtle coaching, letting Elijah bring up the ball occasionally and Conner getting the first pass against a press. Takes pressure off Tyshawn.

3] Elijah's comment about his fainting spell.." it happens"...should alarm bells be ringing?

4] This team lost three seniors to graduation, three underclassmen to the NBA and three recruits to ineligibility...that's nine players, and yet, like "The Little Engine That Could", they keep pushing up hill against all odds and opponents.

5] This may be Coach Self's least talented team, but, without a doubt, it's Coach Self's team with the most heart.

James McGuire 3 years, 3 months ago

Although there is a possibility of something adverse going on, I am thinking its more a result of him pushing it a little too hard. Undetected heart problems usually don't give you significant warning signs - you just collapse.

I would guess he is nearing his maximum heart rate during some stretches of play. If the brain isn't getting the oxygen it needs, you're going to have issues.

Ben Simonett 3 years, 3 months ago

I honestly didn't think we could hang with Baylor this season, that team is talented, deep, and hungry. but it appears that analysis was made with one fatal flaw.

in college basketball, muscle still trumps athleticism in the post. Baylor's front court is loaded with guys that will play in the NBA one day; but those guys will be playing on the wing at the next level. Thomas Robinson is a legitimate NBA power forward and he and Withey had there way with Baylors undersized(albeit talented) frontcourt.

Blake Brown 3 years, 3 months ago

Great game and a big win!

The improvement that each player has made from last year to this year is truly amazing and a credit to the coaching staff as well as the players.

For them to come together as a team is even more remarkable and also attributed to the coaching staff.

I also agree with those who disliked the "overrated" cheer. Its really a put down to our own team to state that someone we just beat is not that good. Thats somwhat obvious by the outcome. Having said that, Baylor is a very good team and we`ll see them in a more competitive place in Waco.

We`ve got a lot of work to do yet.

Who would have thought the Hawks would be where they are at this point in the season? Self is a miracle worker; he`s "got it figured out" as Calipari states about himself.

Redlandsjhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

I remember a few times in the last couple years when a poster would say "our bench could be a top 15 team" or something to that effect. Well turns out they were right! Except for TT this team is basically our bench from last year, and they have defeated the number 2 and number 3 ranked teams this year. They are themselves ranked in the top 10 and have a good chance to crack the top 5! The label as the least talented team is starting to peel off with a POY candidate and a senior who could be an all american.

All the things we fretted over and hoped for are coming true (Withey, Releford,etc)

I noticed in the North Dakota game the genius of Coach Self. TRob was being doubled and couldn't get going so Self takes Withey out of the game, inserts Teahan and now ND has to guard the extra shooter which frees up TRob and you know the rest.

Great job, everyone... Rock Chalk

KGphoto 3 years, 3 months ago

Nice observations. Especially the bench being a top 15 team. I'm one of the guys who's said that in the past.

RockChalk26 3 years, 3 months ago

Here is a good example of why HCBS is better then Scott Drew.

With all of Scott Drew's appearances on ESPN, Scott Van Pelt Show, and ESPNU The Experts this morning, you would think that Baylor had won the game last night. News flash Mr. Drew, you got you're butts handed to you. Shouldn't you travel back to Waco, with your team, and get back to work? Why are you in Bristol?

I just don't see HCBS going on a media tour after a butt whooping like that. I would like to think that Bill would be watching film and working at getting better.

Kye Clark 3 years, 3 months ago

While not exactly the same thing, remember that at least once in the past (I think it was 2 years ago after the UNI loss) Self has done studio work following a KU exit from the NCAA tournament. It's not the same because this is taking place during the middle of the season and Baylor has more games they need to prepare for, but the desired effect is the same. Coach Self said it himself when discussing why he was willing to do the studio work - exposure. It's good exposure for the program, and possibly helps in recruiting. And just think, Coach Self is fighting for added exposure at KU! One of the royalty programs in all of college basketball. Drew has to try and elevate the program and try and get people to notice basketball in Waco, TX. I don't necessarily begrudge him his media appearances.

UncleMiltyN 3 years, 3 months ago

It's ok to get excited, and I guess I kinda understand KU fans comparing these guys to the 88 team, but come on. Hey, time will tell.

I personally don't see that many similarities other than it's a team with a POY candidate and a short bench.

While Piper, Newton, and Pritchard have always been underrated, even by KU fans, I do think 2012 team could be considered better in many ways with one huge difference....

TRob is one of my favorite players of all time, but a D. Manning comparison is a bit much. Too bad we won't see Thomas's senior year....

Hank Cross 3 years, 3 months ago

I also hope they are not changing their attitude. In the past couple of years the teams have had at times a 'We'll win b/c we're KU' attitude, and thought they could turn it on at will.

Not this team. This team knows that it if they're going to get anything - they're going to have to take it by force. I think this team would've beaten UNI and VCU.

Tony Bandle 3 years, 3 months ago

I wonder if Tony Parker was watching the game??

Big Monday in Allen Fieldhouse on the ESPN National Game coached by Bill and Danny......Tony, it doesn't get any better than this!!

Interestingly, the last four Saturdays of the regular season [02/11, 02/18, 02/25 and 03/03] all feature Kansas home games from Allen Fieldhouse.....maximum national exposure, Tony.

Year after year after year!!

Benjamin Piehler 3 years, 3 months ago

Mizzou is playing at Baylor later this week, I believe. Should be a good game for eyeing the competion. Baylor is going to have to abandon the zone if they don't want Mizzou shooting their eyes out.

A buddy of mine said that the post game handshake between Bill Self and Scott Drew didnt look very warm, he suggested they dont like eachother. Asides from always losing to him, is there any reason why Drew wouldnt like Self? Drew has always come off as a hothead to me, so I just assumed he was still steaming over the game.

kureader 3 years, 3 months ago

The PREGAME handshake was cold as well ... neither even stopped walking. Neither said more than two words. Drew met Self on the KU side of midcourt. After their "moving handshake", Self continued towards the Baylor bench. Only one Baylor coach came forward to shake Self's hand ... the rest were nowhere around.

I don't pretend to know what Self thinks of Drew. I do know that Drew made alot of enemies last year when he removed his team and staff from the field house floor during the introductions of the KU team. The fans were really PO'd. Self didn't like it either.

James McGuire 3 years, 3 months ago

I have heard - an article from a couple years ago from I don't remember where - that quite a few of the coaches in the Big12 don't care for Drew because of his recruiting tactics and his fondness for bad-mouthing the other teams in the league.

brooksmd 3 years, 3 months ago

As fast as Drew blew past Self I'm surprised he didn't rip Self's arm off if there was a handshake at all.

JayHawkFanToo 3 years, 3 months ago

The following article might shed some light on the chilly relationship between Scott Drew and the other conference coaches: http://thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/03/15/barnes-has-stern-words-for-baylor/

Brockster 3 years, 3 months ago

I was at the game last night, and right before the second half started there was another pump up song playing really loud in the Fieldhouse. Does anybody know what song that was? Everyone was going nuts right before the ref blew his whistle to signal the start of the second half. Just looking to find out what song that was. Any help is appreciated! Rock Chalk! Great win!

brooksmd 3 years, 3 months ago

I visited a couple of Baylor forums last night and there were many posts where people envied the crowd support in AFH and wished they had it. There were also negative comments about the "overrated" chant. I agree. Kansas doesn't have to show lack of class because it was shown to us. We do expect to win no matter what the ranking of the opposing team. That is Kansas basketball. Maybe the student paper should do an editorial on the subjects of the "wooo" and showing more class.

kureader 3 years, 3 months ago

Chants like that just happen. There's no conspiracy. Everyone was excited, relieved and in a great mood. I think I even joined in. It's true, though, the chant didn't fit very well with Baylor. They're obviously NOT overrated. They just didn't shoot well in AFH, and somehow we killed 'em on the boards.

That same chant would have been appropriate at the K-Straight game. A week or two ago, they were really overrated. They didn't belong in the Top 20. And, MU is overrated still.

Jeeveshawk 3 years, 3 months ago

After the way we played against BU I would like to see us get another shot at UK. We have gotton alot better than we were back then and our desire to get revenge may give us an edge. But then again, Kentucky is Kentucky.

Steve Brown 3 years, 3 months ago

Couple games ago Teehan got punched in the jaw, our men showed great discipline and didn't go off, as we would expect from our beloved twins.

We can't win if anyone of our guys gets an ejection. We play with 'controlled' passion.

This team is making a liar out of me, I predicted maybe 19 w this season, just hate these rebuilding years. I should never doubt.

RCJHGKU w.out the woo.

JayHok 3 years, 3 months ago

Great article on Withey. What Taylor and Robinson say are great but check out what Johnson says at the very end.

southwindjay 3 years, 3 months ago

The same Dickie V that picked us to finish 8th in the Big 12 I believe? Gag me baby, go back to kissing ACC and Big East butt we are fine on our own!