Kansas defeats Baylor, 92-74

• 8:30 p.m., Jan. 16, 2012
  • Allen Fieldhouse, Lawrence, KS

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Awesome babeee! KU routs Baylor, wows Dick Vitale

Kansas forward Thomas Robinson gets up for an alley-oop over Baylor defenders Perry Jones III and Anthony Jones (41) during the first half on Monday, Jan. 16, 2012 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Dick Vitale removed his headphones, leaned forward in his press row seat and proceeded to lavish praise on Kansas University’s basketball team late Monday night in Allen Fieldhouse.

“Today it was the Robinson/Taylor show. The inside/outside combination now of Taylor and Robinson is really special,” ESPN broadcasting legend Vitale said after Tyshawn Taylor matched his career high of 28 points (for the second-straight game), and Thomas Robinson chipped in 27 points and 14 rebounds in the Jayhawks’ 92-74 rout of previously undefeated Baylor.

“Robinson to me is my choice today as the Player of the Year,” Vitale added. “Kansas was great. I said this on the air: ‘This is probably the least talented team one through eight he (Bill Self) has had since he’s been at Kansas, but as a team they really believe in each other and really are playing as a unit.’”

Oh, there was a lot to praise on a night No. 7-rated KU improved to 15-3 overall and 5-0 in the league. No. 3 BU fell to 17-1, 4-1.

Senior point guard Taylor hit 10 of 14 shots, including four of six threes with six assists and five turnovers in 33 minutes. Junior power forward Robinson cashed 11 of 18 shots and five of six free throws in 35 minutes.

“In big games, the best players have got to play. Thomas played, and Tyshawn played,” Self said. “Not too many players in America played like those two did tonight.”

KU’s tallest player, 7-foot junior Jeff Withey, also was big with 10 points, 10 rebounds, three steals and three blocks in 30 minutes.

“He played like a man tonight,” Taylor gushed.

“He’s one of the best shot-blockers in the country. And those two fouls he had were not fouls,” Robinson said, cracking a big smile.

Withey went straight up and stuffed Perry Jones III, but was whistled for a foul to the crowd’s chagrin five minutes into the second half.

Also for KU, Travis Releford and Elijah Johnson chipped in 11 points apiece against BU’s zone and man-to-man defenses. Johnson played 29 minutes, leaving the court for a while in the second half after suffering a dizzy spell.

“It happens sometimes. I’m fine,” Johnson said.

The Jayhawks actually trailed, 27-22, with 5:57 left in the first half. That’s when Taylor took over, scoring 11 points in a half-ending, 17-2 run that gave KU a 39-29 lead at the break. He finished the half with 14 points to Robinson’s 12.

He also took part in perhaps the best play of the season, lobbing a pass to Robinson, who threw down a one-handed slam for KU’s second basket of the game.

“He pressed the up button and went up,” Taylor said.

Robinson admitted the vicious dunk might have been the best of his career.

“It’ll go down with the lob I caught at Arizona,” he said of a lob dunk Taylor tossed him, actually last year in Las Vegas versus Arizona.

Back to basics, the Jayhawks who led just 43-37 with 17:34 left, then went on a 16-5 run to build a 59-42 advantage. Releford had four points, Robinson three and Taylor two in that run. Up 63-52 at 10:32, KU used an 8-0 run to put the game away effectively for good.

“I think we made a statement (as far as the league race). Going out with 11 minutes (before tipoff), I told the guys we had to make a statement,” Taylor said. “The last few games we showed we can be one of the best teams.”

Self noted: “We played terrific. That’s the best game we’ve played all year. The energy level was great.”

There were an awful lot of smiles in the interview room after the game, with players joking around after KU took a one-game lead over the Bears in the standings.

“Turnovers don’t come up too much when we are winning,” Taylor said of the coaches and fans getting on him for bobbles.

Yet Self tossed a barb Taylor’s way, concerning a clutch three-pointer Taylor hit with five seconds left to conclude the first-half scoring.

“It was a called play,” Self said. “I said, ‘Go flat, let’s get Conner (Teahan) a three.’ He did exactly what I asked. He shot it himself,” Self added, smiling. “I should have said, ‘Shoot it.’ He’d have passed to Conner. We went flat, and (Taylor) was feeling it.”

The Jayhawks will meet Texas at 3 p.m. Saturday in Austin, Texas.

Comments

southwindjay 2 years, 3 months ago

The same Dickie V that picked us to finish 8th in the Big 12 I believe? Gag me baby, go back to kissing ACC and Big East butt we are fine on our own!

JayHok 2 years, 3 months ago

Great article on Withey. What Taylor and Robinson say are great but check out what Johnson says at the very end.

Steve Brown 2 years, 3 months ago

Couple games ago Teehan got punched in the jaw, our men showed great discipline and didn't go off, as we would expect from our beloved twins.

We can't win if anyone of our guys gets an ejection. We play with 'controlled' passion.

This team is making a liar out of me, I predicted maybe 19 w this season, just hate these rebuilding years. I should never doubt.

RCJHGKU w.out the woo.

Jeeveshawk 2 years, 3 months ago

After the way we played against BU I would like to see us get another shot at UK. We have gotton alot better than we were back then and our desire to get revenge may give us an edge. But then again, Kentucky is Kentucky.

brooksmd 2 years, 3 months ago

I visited a couple of Baylor forums last night and there were many posts where people envied the crowd support in AFH and wished they had it. There were also negative comments about the "overrated" chant. I agree. Kansas doesn't have to show lack of class because it was shown to us. We do expect to win no matter what the ranking of the opposing team. That is Kansas basketball. Maybe the student paper should do an editorial on the subjects of the "wooo" and showing more class.

Brockster 2 years, 3 months ago

I was at the game last night, and right before the second half started there was another pump up song playing really loud in the Fieldhouse. Does anybody know what song that was? Everyone was going nuts right before the ref blew his whistle to signal the start of the second half. Just looking to find out what song that was. Any help is appreciated! Rock Chalk! Great win!

Benjamin Piehler 2 years, 3 months ago

Mizzou is playing at Baylor later this week, I believe. Should be a good game for eyeing the competion. Baylor is going to have to abandon the zone if they don't want Mizzou shooting their eyes out.

A buddy of mine said that the post game handshake between Bill Self and Scott Drew didnt look very warm, he suggested they dont like eachother. Asides from always losing to him, is there any reason why Drew wouldnt like Self? Drew has always come off as a hothead to me, so I just assumed he was still steaming over the game.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 3 months ago

I wonder if Tony Parker was watching the game??

Big Monday in Allen Fieldhouse on the ESPN National Game coached by Bill and Danny......Tony, it doesn't get any better than this!!

Interestingly, the last four Saturdays of the regular season [02/11, 02/18, 02/25 and 03/03] all feature Kansas home games from Allen Fieldhouse.....maximum national exposure, Tony.

Year after year after year!!

William Blake 2 years, 3 months ago

This was our break-out game from the pack. We are no longer flying under anyone's radar; we are no longer an underdog except to 1 or 2 teams... We are now elevating to sit atop this country's thrown as a contender once again.

That sounds great, but is it?

I can't recall a Hawk team from the past improving so much in one month. There is still plenty of potential left... still so far to go. This team is sitting in the driver's seat and can punch their own ticket to whatever future they go after.

But... is the chip lifting from their shoulders? Are players sitting in the locker room breathing a sigh of relief? I hope not. It is the weight of the chip that turns our boys into men. We have come so far with the help of our chip. We can not abandon it now!

I've said all along that this team is capable of bringing home the gold... it is all a question of peaking at the end. The team that peaks last goes home with the gold. Talent is a big help and creates a larger margin of error, no doubt, but talent will never guarantee a win. That is why the game is played and that is why so many people love the game.

Now we must battle the distractions of more media attention and too many slaps on the back for a job yet to be completed. Our gutsy troops must now survive the plush red carpet... you can look at the rafters in AFH to discover how many of our great teams stepped off the red carpet onto the throne. Not many!

I'm thrilled with the win and witnessing a spectacular effort! It creates hope in me to see it again regularly... especially in March!

It is difficult to capture the throne... and even harder to maintain ownership!

Rock Chalk, Hawks... great game! Just realize the chip is even bigger now because you have proven what you can do! So keep doing it!

UncleMiltyN 2 years, 3 months ago

It's ok to get excited, and I guess I kinda understand KU fans comparing these guys to the 88 team, but come on. Hey, time will tell.

I personally don't see that many similarities other than it's a team with a POY candidate and a short bench.

While Piper, Newton, and Pritchard have always been underrated, even by KU fans, I do think 2012 team could be considered better in many ways with one huge difference....

TRob is one of my favorite players of all time, but a D. Manning comparison is a bit much. Too bad we won't see Thomas's senior year....

RockChalk26 2 years, 3 months ago

Here is a good example of why HCBS is better then Scott Drew.

With all of Scott Drew's appearances on ESPN, Scott Van Pelt Show, and ESPNU The Experts this morning, you would think that Baylor had won the game last night. News flash Mr. Drew, you got you're butts handed to you. Shouldn't you travel back to Waco, with your team, and get back to work? Why are you in Bristol?

I just don't see HCBS going on a media tour after a butt whooping like that. I would like to think that Bill would be watching film and working at getting better.

Redlandsjhawk 2 years, 3 months ago

I remember a few times in the last couple years when a poster would say "our bench could be a top 15 team" or something to that effect. Well turns out they were right! Except for TT this team is basically our bench from last year, and they have defeated the number 2 and number 3 ranked teams this year. They are themselves ranked in the top 10 and have a good chance to crack the top 5! The label as the least talented team is starting to peel off with a POY candidate and a senior who could be an all american.

All the things we fretted over and hoped for are coming true (Withey, Releford,etc)

I noticed in the North Dakota game the genius of Coach Self. TRob was being doubled and couldn't get going so Self takes Withey out of the game, inserts Teahan and now ND has to guard the extra shooter which frees up TRob and you know the rest.

Great job, everyone... Rock Chalk

Blake Brown 2 years, 3 months ago

Great game and a big win!

The improvement that each player has made from last year to this year is truly amazing and a credit to the coaching staff as well as the players.

For them to come together as a team is even more remarkable and also attributed to the coaching staff.

I also agree with those who disliked the "overrated" cheer. Its really a put down to our own team to state that someone we just beat is not that good. Thats somwhat obvious by the outcome. Having said that, Baylor is a very good team and we`ll see them in a more competitive place in Waco.

We`ve got a lot of work to do yet.

Who would have thought the Hawks would be where they are at this point in the season? Self is a miracle worker; he`s "got it figured out" as Calipari states about himself.

bennybob 2 years, 3 months ago

I honestly didn't think we could hang with Baylor this season, that team is talented, deep, and hungry. but it appears that analysis was made with one fatal flaw.

in college basketball, muscle still trumps athleticism in the post. Baylor's front court is loaded with guys that will play in the NBA one day; but those guys will be playing on the wing at the next level. Thomas Robinson is a legitimate NBA power forward and he and Withey had there way with Baylors undersized(albeit talented) frontcourt.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 3 months ago

Sometimes it's the little things that make the difference:

1] Have you all noticed the increased intensity and fire shown by the team coincidental to the introduction of Jamari and BenMac into practice? Wait till those two kids get on court next year.

2] Nice subtle coaching, letting Elijah bring up the ball occasionally and Conner getting the first pass against a press. Takes pressure off Tyshawn.

3] Elijah's comment about his fainting spell.." it happens"...should alarm bells be ringing?

4] This team lost three seniors to graduation, three underclassmen to the NBA and three recruits to ineligibility...that's nine players, and yet, like "The Little Engine That Could", they keep pushing up hill against all odds and opponents.

5] This may be Coach Self's least talented team, but, without a doubt, it's Coach Self's team with the most heart.

kubiggestfan 2 years, 3 months ago

Loved this game....Robinson and Taylor were phenomenal....GO JAYHAWKS !

wildjayhawk 2 years, 3 months ago

This was close to sex and a movie.I hate sex in the movies. Tried it once. the seat folded up, the drink spilled and - that ice, well,it really chilled the mood.

hawkster007 2 years, 3 months ago

Best game by far for KU last night, I was at the game and have had tickets since the Larry Brown era. Its difficult to compare crowd noise, but this may have been the loudest I have heard AFH on a consistent basis the entire game, plus we had to stand the entire game and we have never done that (not that I'm complaining - - no wine and cheese butts here).

Re: Vitale, don't get too caught up in any of his comments about TRob as player of the year, or his accolades for TT. Vitale's love affair with a player/team is only the next game away, he always loves the team and players the best in the game he is announcing.

Self was worried about 1 day of prep time and 30 minutes of practice before this game. Maybe this is the approach to use for all big games...It sure would be nice to bottle and sell whatever was going on with KU last night!!

TT's ability to finish at the bucket was uncanny, I hope he carries that confidence forward. TRob/Withey owned the boards, TR and EJ in good supporting roles. I guess if I could write a script for scoring, rebounding, balance, and not relying on the 3-pointer - - what happened last night would be perfect for each game going forward.

The starters played a lot of minutes against the 2nd best team in the league, with subs only logging 37 minutes. Self has said he wants 55 or so minutes out of his bench. Don't know if that is good or bad, or if KU can keep up that pace all year, but maybe that is what KU will have to do against the better teams.

I shouldn't complain about the refereeing since it was fairly even, but calling those 2 fouls on Withey 30 feet from the bucket for bumping a guard when that happens between the guards all game long is what drives me crazy about Big 12 refs. Hey, I gotta find something to complaint about!

Rock Chalk....with or without the Whooo, who cares in a win like that!

wildjayhawk 2 years, 3 months ago

Drew is a very good coach and has recruited well, this is just one game in the field house, we will see what KU is made of away from the phog. We do remember Davidson, right? hawkinator, you don't know anything.

Benjamin Piehler 2 years, 3 months ago

Did Baylor attempt to double team TRob at all? I don't recall... It seemed like TRob was able to do whatever he wanted all night, unlike the ISU game. I don't have much respect for Drew as a coach. He brings in some talent, but I can't honestly say I've ever seen him make a good adjustment.

refugee 2 years, 3 months ago

WOW, we really dodged a bullet there. It's a good thing Scott Drew didn't have anyone reading the comments here after the ISU game. Had he read jaybate's amazing analysis of the ISU defensive strategy we were DOOMED. He had the genius to suggest that teams try to deny TRob the ball. Nobody had ever contemplated this before, according to jaybate, other than he and Fred Hoiberg. Since Fred unveiled this radical new strategy, jaybate predicted an offensive collapse. Good thing Baylor didn't learn this secret...

lrahardja 2 years, 3 months ago

This talented Baylor team will be itching to return the favor on Feb 8 in Waco. Don't get too excited, it's a long season. Get ready and play that D. RCJH!!!

wildjayhawk 2 years, 3 months ago

Baylor is one heck of a good team, they have good talent and a great coach. They will go far in the tournment, watchout. This was just one game on KU's court.

Kye Clark 2 years, 3 months ago

Watched the game at a sports bar and never once was able to hear Vitale. It was a great atmosphere, packed, all KU fans.

The thing I think I was most grateful for last night was that the Syracuse-Pitt game ended when it did, and we were switched over to the main event in time to see TRob's ferocious lob dunk! Seriously, I get so tired of the Big East. Jamie Dixon calling a timeout down 8 points without the ball and under 10 seconds left. Ridiculous.

William Blake 2 years, 3 months ago

Drew did what he always does...

He brought street ball to a college basketball game.

danno1313 2 years, 3 months ago

Dear Baylor,

Know your place.

Signed,

KU

KansasComet 2 years, 3 months ago

This team is coming together. It seems everyone knows their role.

Ron Prichard 2 years, 3 months ago

I laughed at Dickie V's top 4 places to play. The Museum? WTH? I've never heard Rupp or the Dean Dome listed as two of the toughest or loudest places to play. Cameron, yes, but not the other two. There are definitely louder, tougher places to play. I've never been there, but I've always heard the Pit in New Mexico was amazing. Don't forget about Gallagher Iba and OSU.

Dickie V is just a front runner and he will always place Duke, UNC, and Kentucky above the rest. Occasionally, he includes KU in that mix. The rest of ESPN is much better. KU, TRob, TT and Allen Fieldhouse got love all over the place last night on Sportscenter.

Douglas Creelman 2 years, 3 months ago

I definitely like the energy and focus the team played with last night. If they show this level each game, they will be a serioius force to contend with for the rest of the season and well in to March! Even though they won the I-State game, I felt they were playing down to the competition. Let's take last nights game and use it as the baseline for how they have to play night in and night out!

Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

Jeremy Paul 2 years, 3 months ago

Dan Patrick is talking about how great Allen Fieldhouse is, and how he got to see a game there and it was great, and then he goes on to gush about how he got to see Jason Kidd play there. What a bunch of baloney. Who goes to a wonderful, historic, energetic basketball arena and is excited about seeing a guy for the visiting team? I'm sure the crowd and the excitement was a little more pronounced for the home team, loser.

jazzhawk 2 years, 3 months ago

Already one of my favorite teams. I would say this is truly THE testament to Coach Self and his staff. If they are blessed to make even a decent run come March, Coach Self is the National Coach of the Year, hands down. Probably his most masterful job so far at KU.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

BCRavenJHawkfan 2 years, 3 months ago

So now Vitale gushes over KU. Well, how could he not after that performance.

I was really amazed at what I watched. KU really broke Baylor's willingness to go inside and that was nice to see. I was also pleased that the defense stuck with Baylor's shooting savants and didn't let them have many looks (closing minutes not withstanding).

And the Withey block, Oh My! And PGIII knew he had been stuffed cleanly as he genuflected to the official for showing pitty on him.

Ron Franklin 2 years, 3 months ago

Withey was an outsider until 5 games ago.

He wasn't fitting in with the guys on the team.

Tyshawn made an effort to befriend him and invite him into his circle.

Since then, the entire teams' new-found chemistry has ignited Withey's fire.

It's amazing what confidence can do.

Witnessing Tyshawn begin to take Withey under his wing has made me extremely proud of Ty.

Ludwig Supraphonic 2 years, 3 months ago

Dick Vitale gives us some compliments though always returns to his true love. AFH always in the same sentence with Cameron and Smith Center. Discussion of Baylor's zone leads to slobbering over the Syracuse zone and a man-crush on Boeheim.

Scut Farkus 2 years, 3 months ago

I'm with OldKU. When Dickie V. is on I turn down the sound and listen to the radio. His voice is like nails on a chalkboard. I never did like his antics, he seemed to distract from the game.

SCHNBALL 2 years, 3 months ago

As EJ says, put your shoes on!!!

Bill Shaw 2 years, 3 months ago

Thankfully, I missed ALL of Vitale's comments. I had the sound off on the TV & listened to Bob & Chris on LAZR 105.9 internet feed. The less I hear Vitale (Duke's #1 fan), the better.

SCHNBALL 2 years, 3 months ago

memhawk, did you not look at the box score, look what Traylor did last night:

Who needs Taylor when you have Traylor. What a freshman we have scoring 28 while sitting on the bench!!

Jamari Traylor 33 10 14 4 6 4 7 0 2 2 6 1 1 5 0 28

Just think what he can do next year when he gets off of the bench, May go for 56!!

I sure thought I saw Tyshawn last night pass a 3 up in the corner in the second half and drive to basket for an easy 2. What a senior move!!

Chris Shaw 2 years, 3 months ago

Some Shawesome observations from this game:

1) Personally, the most important statistic from my standpoint for this team thus this season is 3 point FG attempts. I know it may sound like a broken record from me, I think this statistic outside of maybe TO's is the most crucial to this team's succss come tourney time.

With that said, if you take away TT's first 10 minutes of the game he did a great job of controlling tempo. When you control tempo defensively, you control it offensively and the result is 6-11 from 3 point range. Awesome, Fantastic, and Simply Out of this World Stat.

2) I have to give 4 Player of the game awards to (No particular order) TT, T-Rob, Relly (For his defense), and J-Withey (That block was so freaking clean on PJIII).

I'm so proud of TT for bouncing back after that maddening first 10 minutes. I mean, those first 4 TO's were absolutely and utterly mind blowing, but that's who the kid is. It does still concern me to an extent, but when you play the next 30 minutes the way he did, we'll talk about those 4 TO"s another day. I remember all 4 pretty vividly so we can get a discussion if you all like, but I'm going to ignore it for now.

I'm just really happy about this time and I like this team a great deal. It's a frustrating and maddening team at times, but I like it. Limit those 3 point FG attempts and get a good draw in the Big Dance, let's see if this team can do what nobody thought it could do.

Martin Rosenblum 2 years, 3 months ago

Just think how much McLemore and Traylor are wanting to be out there playing. And, how much they're learning by observing and practicing under Bill and Danny. It may be coincidence, but since they've been able to practice, we've seemed more confident and less like the team we saw in the first couple of games of the season. We'll need them to step into some huge shoes while we look back on this "down year" that many have suggested we would have! The only thing "down" right now is the ball being thrown down!

MorganR 2 years, 3 months ago

Congratulations to the players and coaches on another excellent game. While Mr. Robinson and Mr. Taylor had their typical great stats, I was impressed that every player on KU's team had a great game and was well prepared for Baylor. Thank you all for another wonderful memory.

Timmay97 2 years, 3 months ago

Terrific game by our Jayhawks!!! They made us all proud and gave 110% effort.....especially Tyshawn and Thomas.

Just my own personal opinion....Baylor is going NOWHERE playing defense like they did Monday night. Credit Thomas and Tyshawn for breaking it down and WORKING to get their baskets, but their bigs don't have a freakin' clue how to play D (regardless of Acy's shot blocking totals). Their team defense is dreadful. It didn't matter whether you played zone or man, KU was breaking it down easy.

Granted, KU is one the best half courts teams in the nation......always will be in Bill Self's system. But Baylor didn't show me ANYTHING on the defensive side of the ball.

Long story short.....KU truly does have the better coach (and coaching staff for that matter). A bunch of you mentioned it above and on other posts....come to Kansas if you truly want your game to improve. There's nothing that Bill Self can't teach.

Great win boys! Now.....let's see how we perform against quality teams on the road.

Timmay97 2 years, 3 months ago

Mike Barnhart 2 years, 3 months ago

Listen up recruits: Thomas Robinson was ranked as the 24th best prospect in the class of 2009 and Tyshawn Taylor was ranked number 77 in 2008. Today, both are all-american candidates headed to the NBA.

Want to get better? Want to improve your draft stock? Want to spend a couple of years learning your trade and maximizing your NBA value? There's no better place than KU!

Clarence Haynes 2 years, 3 months ago

What a performance by TRob, TT, Jeff, EJ, Travis and the rest of the 'hawks. Loved that game so much that I watched the replay on ESPN later during the night! Rock Chalk!

HAWKTOPIA 2 years, 3 months ago

Rock Chalk! This team played a great game that exposed a real scoring personality. When this team goes to the tapes, and irons out a couple of peripheral errors, they are going to improve some more.

Most of our early mistakes were simply bad pass selection, getting trapped with the ball, or the wrong people shooting from the wrong spot. All this is easily remedied, because they did so much correct.

There is a funny similarity to TT and Withey. You can watch them do so much correctly, and then in a moment, do stupid fundamental stuff wrong that drives you crazy. With TT it is usually "what were you thinking!" and with Jeff it is "just squeeze the ball and slam it, " or "what are you shooting from there for?"

Great game guys, my hands are sore from all the high fives!

RCJHKU!

Jeremy Paul 2 years, 3 months ago

My only complaint about the game is that with about a minute left, the crowd started chanting "Overrated.......overrated....." Don't you people realize how moronic that is? If you're saying that the #3 team in the country --the team we just whupped up and down the floor-- is overrated, then that completely diminishes the outstanding victory. I'd like to hear from people who were there last night: what were you thinking?

Benjamin Piehler 2 years, 3 months ago

I'll take a Bill Self down season over any "Best in 20 Years Baylor/Mizzou" Team

KULA 2 years, 3 months ago

Welcome back to the Top 5, Jayhawks! Did you enjoy your brief visit to the Teens?

Dirk Medema 2 years, 3 months ago

It seems to me that the team has played tougher since the game a couple weeks ago that Travis led. Was it a game with him opening the game diving for a loose ball. The whole team seems so much tougher lately.

lv_jhwk 2 years, 3 months ago

On a related note, is it just me or does the team seem to have finally gotten comfortable in its own skin, so to speak? No longer do they seem as careful, trying not to make the mistake which in turn leads to a different mistake. If so, more credit to Self, who likely had to come to accept the "occasional bad with all the good" style that seems to suit this group best much more than he expected or wanted.

lv_jhwk 2 years, 3 months ago

I agree with Vitale...yes, this team does not have the overall ability that past teams have had.

In part because of that, regardless of how the rest of the season turns out (a brief funk wouldn't surprise me any more than continued strong play), I have to admit that I've enjoyed watching this team as much as any of Self's squads. Ever since the Davidson game, I don't think there's been a moment that I've doubted the team's work ethic, desire, and toughness. This doesn't mean that they've been outstanding at all times by any means, but there's just something about a group putting forth hard-nosed, maximum effort that makes at least this fan proud.

LAJayhawk 2 years, 3 months ago

Two big things stood out to me as reasons how they hammered these guys (and sorry, going to repeat myself a bit from the Keegan ratings):

1) TT equaled his career high in points with 28 two games in a row, but did it with 7 less shot attempts. After the first 5 minutes, he was simply fantastic.

2) Offensive Rebounding. We just destroyed them on the offensive glass. Withey had 9 of his 10 boards of the offensive side. NINE!! 14 offensive rebounds when we shot 57.4% from the floor.... Not sure how we didn't win by 40.....

Great game. Easily the best they've played so far this year. Sitting in the driver's seat for the conference title. If they can run the table at home, they probably only need to go 5-4 on the road to at least share the title. If that happens, any doubt Bill Self is national coach of the year?

manginorh00lz 2 years, 3 months ago

Great win...puts us in contention for the conference. Now, let's get some big road Ws where it counts.

Brianna Zaleski 2 years, 3 months ago

Jesus... Sweet pic. That will be in a frame in the Union someday!

Proud of our guys tonight. Baylor has more talent than us as a whole, but we are a tough team who is well coached. I can't say enough how much I love the way Kansas BBall plays since Self got here. We win a lot of games on our toughness. And that's not something we could say about our previous regime. Love Roy, but its the truth.