Wednesday, August 22, 2012

2013 Texas center has KU men’s basketball on short list

Karviar Shepherd, a 6-foot-10, 225-pound senior basketball center from Grace Prep High in Arlington, Texas, has narrowed his list of prospective colleges to eight — including Kansas University — Rivals.com reports.

Shepherd, who is ranked No. 34 nationally in the recruiting Class of 2013, lists KU, Texas, TCU, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, SMU, Marquette and LSU.

“Kansas is a great school,” Shepherd told JayhawkSlant.com. “I took a visit to Kansas last summer and it’s a great campus ... my relationship with the coaching staff is good. I know that I’ll get back to Kansas for a visit. I do plan to take some visits and I’ll know more about those visits next week.”

Shepherd plays for coach Jazzy Hartwell’s Urban DFW team — traveling team of former KU forward Darrell Arthur.

“I’m probably going to try and sign in the fall. For right now that’s the plan; it could change,” Shepherd told Rivals.com.

He played well on the AAU circuit this past spring and summer.

“I think my offense was a little better. I still have a ways to go with that and my court awareness. I also tried to block more shots and take some pressure off of Jordan (Mickey) because he’s our shot blocker,” Shepherd said.

Mickey, a 6-7 senior forward from Grace Prep, also has KU on his long list of schools. He’s ranked No. 51 nationally by Rivals.com.

Williams update: Troy Williams, a 6-6 forward from Oak Hill Academy in Mouth of Wilson, Va., is considering KU, Kentucky, North Carolina, Alabama, Louisville, Georgetown, South Carolina, Ohio State, Arkansas and Memphis. Rivals.com reports that UK and Carolina have “not been as active in his recruitment as they once were.”

No. 41-ranked Williams recently visited Alabama, which is a major player for his AAU teammate and good buddy, Anthony “Cat” Barber. Barber, a 6-2 point guard from Hampton (Va.) High, who is Rivals.com’s No. 9-rated player, lists KU, Alabama, N.C. State and Louisville.

“The Alabama visit was good,” Williams’ uncle, Boo Williams, told SNY.tv. “They did a good job showing him the campus and showing him all the things he needed to see.”

Barber told JayhawkSlant.com on Tuesday night that he plans to visit KU the weekend of Sept. 1-3.

More recruiting: No. 2-ranked Julius Randle, a 6-9 senior from Prestonwood Christian Academy in Plano, Texas, and former high school teammate of KU’s Zach Peters, visited Oklahoma State last weekend. Currently, KU, Duke, Kentucky and North Carolina appear to be his leaders. ... No. 33-ranked Marcus Lee, a 6-9 power forward from Deer Valley High in Antioch, Calif., visited UCLA unofficially last weekend, Zagsblog.com reports. Lee will have an in-home visit with KU’s coaches on Oct. 6. He will visit Louisville on Sept. 7, Kentucky on Oct. 12 and Indiana on Oct. 20. He’s also considering Duke.

Goodrich honored: KU senior Angel Goodrich received an award Tuesday from the NCAA for leading women’s college basketball in assists per game during the 2011-12 season (7.4 per game). The Tahlequah, Okla., native broke a KU and Big 12 Conference record in totaling 250 assists.

Comments

trustyourSelf 1 year, 8 months ago

Is it a joke when it says he has a short list of 8?

David Hall 1 year, 8 months ago

JUST LET IT SELF WORK OUT OF WHO WANT TO COME TO KU AND WHO DO NOT WANT TO COME HERE

Alohahawk 1 year, 8 months ago

I posted this above, under my original post regarding Randle's recruitment, but I'm double posting it for those who skip to the bottom having previously read the above posts.

He's at it again. In an article that just appeared on Zagsblog.com late this afternoon (Hawaii time): Randle is attempting to talk the Harrison twins and Wiggins into joining him at Kenstinky. Anyone still think Randle isn't leaning towards UK? Bah! Humbug! I'd rather see them all go to any other school. Come on Maryland. Work those twins.

Konkis Dongington III 1 year, 8 months ago

Cat's official visit is gonna be labor day weekend:

I think this is a good development. Be first or be last. Don't be inbetween. If you're inbetween, that's the worst. Otto Porter, we were in between. Marcus Smart, in between. Going first me's we get the first crack at really convincing him to commit on the spot. Going last means the last word, which in this case goes to Bama. Hopefully Self, Dooley and co get the job done and he cancels his other visits. If he doesn't commit by then, I still think we're better off with Bama last. Louisville is the team that I think would really threaten a commit but they're in the dreaded middle.

Ralster Jayhawk 1 year, 8 months ago

I read under one of the European trip stories on this site that Justin Wesley + Jamari Traylor were considering red-shirting. Very athletic guys, but short on finishing skills, at this point in time. Which means Lucas will play as the #4 big. (Withey, Ellis, Peters, Lucas). Ellis has polish & repertoire, being a McDAA. You can throw him to the wolves early. Peters has size and poise. Didnt get fazed or mopey after getting stuffed, etc. Size to bang. Lucas self-adjusted himself. Hit some face-up jumpers, has 6'10 size...so he arrives with at least something, and he sounded calm, collected, and confident in his interview with Jesse. The asterisk signifies/speculates that he arrived with "something" that is 'causing' Wesley and Traylor to redshirt, if that is true. I'm just tickled silly we have 4 bigs+KYoung, wherever he fits. Clearly Young would be ahead of Traylor & Wesley on any depth chart also.

Larry Smith 1 year, 8 months ago

I think that Ellis will be moving out to the wing after this year, so there will still be room down low for those on the existing roster.

RJ King 1 year, 8 months ago

How great would it be to give Bob Knight the opportunity to go on and on about Caviar Sherbet of Kansas State, along with the starter, Cat Barber, and Anthony Barber coming in off the bench?

Alohahawk 1 year, 8 months ago

I get the impression Randle will play the field, and will wait till Spring to sign. About a month ago he named 4 or 5 top recruits and stated that Kenstinky would have an unbeatable class, the best ever, if they were to join with him. I think he was attempting to drum up those he named to urge them to join with him at UK. It hasn't happened (yet), which could mean Randle might decide to go elsewhere.

I'd like to see what type of season Cal Lie Pari could put together if he only gets an even playing field of recruits, if Kenstinky were to lose out on all those OADs. Unfortunately, with his ties to World Wide Wes (or whatever his name is), I don't see that happening very soon. Makes one wonder what type of retainer WWW receives from Cal Lie Pari for his services. (?)

Jeff Suther 1 year, 8 months ago

I want randall baddddd. But hes going to kentucky. More money

Tony Bandle 1 year, 8 months ago

Here is my list of sure things we can actually count on for the Class of 2013:

1] Frankcamp 2] Greene 3]....."crickets"........"crickets"........"crickets"......

My point being is that we can't count on anyone who hasn't signed on the dotted line, but it is fun to speculate!! Actually, the Class of 2013 is so deep, KU will score with somebody.

My future projection is that, sooner or later, the NCAA is going to get sick of hearing how Calipari keeps pulling the wool over their eyes so don't be surprised when they come down hard on UK with both feet!!!

REHawk 1 year, 8 months ago

Prime consideration: big man to replace Withey.

RockChalk26 1 year, 8 months ago

2013 class is going to be epic. I think we land Shepherd and either Parker or Randle.

soapisurfriend 1 year, 8 months ago

An relatively unknown big that nobody talks much about who was on my wish list just cut KU. Jarell Martin is, in my opinion, the most athletic guy in the class and a top 2 or 3 post prospect. I wish we could have got him. Anyways, Kentucky will almost always have the number one class. Unfortunately, 4 or possibly 5 top 50 guys is a sterling class, but would be second to UK who could have 4 top 10 guys.

Jesse Johnson 1 year, 8 months ago

I love reading articles on recruiting like this one. A couple other tidbits in case you missed them: It is rumored that Jabari Parker has reduced his list to 3 (MSU, Duke, KU) http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/334151-jabari-parker-down-to-three-schools

And Julius Randle was recently asked about KU and HCBS and he had some pretty encouraging things to say: http://theshiver.com/2012/08/julius-randle-looking-to-cut-list-down-soon/

With KU now with 3 more scholarships to offer and so many great recruits considering KU this is a really exciting time to be a Jayhawk! You have to believe we will land at least one more great recruit to add to our already pretty darn good class with Greene and Frankamp.

Chris Bruning 1 year, 8 months ago

Karviar Shepards article made me think this kid is most likely gonna be a jayhawk!!!! Rock Chalk Karviar!!!

utahjayhawk 1 year, 8 months ago

I love that eight schools is considered a "short" list.

TwistedFish31 1 year, 8 months ago

If it comes down to KU/Alabama to land that duo and we some how lose out to a joke of a basketball program like that, rest assured that those kids and their families were offered big bucks to head to the SEC.

bennybob 1 year, 8 months ago

UK and UNC are backing off Williams? That's interesting. Could be a signal he's starting to lean towards KU. which creates the real possibility of actually landing the Williams/Barber package deal.

4 backcourt prospect in one class? Makes me think the coaching staff can see the writing on the wall that Mclemore is leaving early. possibly after this year.

I'd still take Randle, Lawrence, Parker, or Shephard before that duo however. the frontourt is in need of a serious talent upgrade after this season.

Alohahawk 1 year, 8 months ago

On another note: ESPN.com on their NCAA BB page, is running a five day series entitled "50 in 50 Series". Using a slightly different formula than they used back in 2008, when Duke came out on top (I think KU was ranked about third?), they have ranked the most successful, top 50 college BB programs over the last 50 years. They've already shown #'s 36 thru 50, and the final top teams will appear on Friday. (They're counting down something like 12 teams a day - starting each morning adding a different team every 15 minutes.)

In reviewing the somewhat complicated formula they used, KU should do very well and might even come out #1. ie. A team is awarded 4 points every time they win their conference. 25 points for each national championship and 20 for each runner up, and so on. In addition, a team receives more points for a better winning %, All Americans (1st, 2nd, and 3rd teams), and players chosen in the top ten in the NBA draft. Also, a team loses points for poor records, NCAA sanctions, Etc.

My guess for top 7: KU, Duke, UCLA, N. Carolina, Kenstinky, Michigan State and Syracuse.

Alohahawk 1 year, 8 months ago

Pretty good recruit list update. However, surprised that Jabari Parker wasn't included in the recruits mentioned above. From recent reports I've had the impression Parker is higher on KU than Randle is. Getting either one would be surprising (to me), and would make for a top 1 or 2 class. If it makes any difference, let's show them some love. Add some "Rock Chalk Jayhawk" to your dreams, guys.

dustfan 1 year, 8 months ago

Too bad he's not interested in the University of Kansas. Wherever this Kansas University is I wish them luck. I would rather he go there than to Texas.

disclaimer: Just in case it's not clear, the above is sarcasm.