Monday, September 19, 2011

Statehouse Live: Kansas Board of Regents to discuss future of Big 12

— State higher education officials will meet in closed session on Thursday to review what is going on with the Big 12.

Kansas Board of Regents Chairman Ed McKechnie of Arcadia said Monday that he wanted to make sure board members were up to speed on all the talk about conference realignment.

Officials with Kansas University and Kansas State University will be included in the meeting, McKechnie said. The board is holding its regularly scheduled monthly meeting Wednesday and Thursday and will go into executive session at noon Thursday for the Big 12 discussion.

The Southeastern Conference has voted to accept Texas A&M; and Missouri has reportedly been looking to go there too. Oklahoma and Texas are considering whether to go to the Pac-12, and if they did Oklahoma State and Texas Tech might land there too.

Reports have indicated that officials with the Big East and Big 12 are discussing a possible merger if Big 12 teams start leaving.

McKechnie said whatever happens he wants KU and KSU to be in the same conference, and hopefully that conference will be the Big 12.

"I believe the Big 12 has more to offer than some folks are giving it credit for," he said.

McKechnie said he has spent a lot of time over the past few weeks talking with higher education officials with other Big 12 institutions.

"There are as many scenarios out there as there are people to talk to," he said.

Comments

manginorh00lz 6 years, 2 months ago

They better not be trying to tie K-State to us. That will ruin the whole state.

TXBBall55 6 years, 2 months ago

McKechnie needs to go. If KU goes down because of that purple POS, Kansas will burn!

TXBBall55 6 years, 2 months ago

I'm talking about KSU...he's a POS, too. There are very little KU ties on the Regents. #1 failure was for KU to not have its own BOR (like Texas, Oklahoma, etc.). The mentality became "if KSU is going down, so is KU". It's all garbage now...burn the state down!!!!

Tim Quest 6 years, 2 months ago

That's NOT at all how "every other top flight public school in the country" is set up. Try doing even a modicum of research before spouting off such patently false nonsense.

That said, I sure as hell wish that WAS the case in Kansas. All these podunk western Kansas morons in charge of our future makes me very nervous.

NH_JHawk 6 years, 2 months ago

Watch your mouth, idiot. There are lots of us "podunk western KS morons" on this board who are a lot more educated and refined than you are. Stop being so self righteous and pull your freaking head out of your axx.

NH_JHawk 6 years, 2 months ago

I will be praying for you too. At this point, I'm praying for all of our KU bretheren. (btw...my comment was directed at Farney Mac for running his mouth, not you mangino). Peace be with you, good sir.

burnmu 6 years, 2 months ago

why don't you guys start a pray group? all the faith in God, won't keep the big 12 afloat! That's the God honest truth

Deb Fitch 6 years, 2 months ago

Ok what makes you an authority to call the second best university in the state of Kansas a whorthless school. Save that title for the POS school in Manhattan.

statesupporter 6 years, 2 months ago

I am a large fan of the Jayhawks. I follow this message board regularly, but have never posted on one before. I grew up watching a taped copy of the 1988 national championship game over and over. I was seven. I have watched or listened to almost every KU basketball game played since. I am also a Pittsburg State University graduate twice over. I will not defend the regents, the presidents, the AD's or anyone else, but his problem started years ago. Both large state schools had poor football programs for years. KU had shades of light in the mid 90's, while K-State was dominate later in the decade. Pittsburg State was once a better place to come to win and possibly get to the NFL than those two schools combined. That is nothing to be proud of if you are a citizen of this state. I worry about opportunities for my kids if our flagship universities fall behind the OU's, OSU's, and Missouri's of the world. I live 4 miles from the border. If Missouri is in the Big whatever, and Kansas is in a mid-major conference, which is more attractive? I think Kansas City could become more of a black and gold city than a crimson and blue one. Our entire state is trusting the administrators and regents with our future. You may feel that Pittsburg State is not good enough, or Kansas State is not attractive enough. This is big for all of us. West, East, South, North. KU MBA, high school kid, retired grandma. I am a big Jayhawk fan, but at somepoint conversation like this needs to be productive and pro Kansas, and not just slanted toward the university you like most. They are all state sponsored, which we should be proud of. I have always looked at Iowa in this process. For one state school to be in the Big, and allow another to take a free fall is crazy. It indcates the weaknes of that state's leadership. Oklahoma has solidarity. They are comfortable in their skin because they have prepared and they know who they are. I'm afraid Kansans are not quite ready for such strong leadership. This state has always been split east/west, and that holds true in this debate.

baldwinjhawk 6 years, 2 months ago

REGENTS...CHRISTINE DOWNEY SCHMIDT/WSU MILDRED EDWARDS/WSU TIM EMERT/KU DAN LYKINS/KSU ED "HOSER" MCKECHNIE/PITTSTATE JANIE PERKINS/ KANSAS NEWMAN ANDY TOMPKINS/EAST CENTRAL OK NOW WHAT KIND OF PUSH IS KU GETTING OUT OF THIS GROUP? NADA!

selfishhawk 6 years, 2 months ago

Agreed. One of you local folks stuff a sock in this fool's mouth!!!

Cora Smith 6 years, 2 months ago

If there is even a perspective out there that a conference can not get KU without K-State, we are doomed.

Jeff Kilgore 6 years, 2 months ago

Kansas. State. Government.

Proactive. Decisive. Visionary. Creative. Timely. Fair. Openminded. Tuned in. Leading.

Kansas. State. Government.

Jeff Kilgore 6 years, 2 months ago

And by this I mean, of course, now that the cows are out of the barn, the water under the bridge, use your favorite Kansas cliche, here comes the posse to save the day!

How much more connected could you be? I used to live in Western Kansas, and I'm pretty sure our political leaders west of Hutchinson have the Internet, although most places have electricity. It's nice that they were on the cutting edge of the action.

And those leaders in Eastern Kansas? Where have you been? The barn has already burned. That train has sailed, my friends.

Kansas. It's Behind as You Think.

Ben Kane 6 years, 2 months ago

this is the worst thing i've read since the whole thing starting spinning weeks ago. I think i'm going to throw up in my mouth.

HawkTronic 6 years, 2 months ago

I think I'm going to throw up in your mouth also.

Kevin Heath 6 years, 2 months ago

Well, for what it's worth he said he "wants" the two schools in the same conference. I want $1,000,000....but what we want is often not realistic, right? He didn't say "the two schools must remain in the same conference."

There is NO WAY he would come out and say anything different right now. If he made ANY suggestion that either school had a bid and was leaving the other behind that would be a terrible mistake. There really isn't anything else for him to say.

texashawk10 6 years, 2 months ago

Problem is he is someone who has the power to tie KU to KSU and sink KU's prospects of landing in the PAC or any other conference that has bright future.

Graczyk 6 years, 2 months ago

That won't happen. If KU got an offer, I am sure they will try to bring KSU along. But is the prospective conference said "Nope. KU only," there is no way that anyone would stand in the way of that. It's better to have one foot in the door rather than none. If KU were accepted to a power conference, it would eventually be able to lobby or KSU.

Luke Kay 6 years, 2 months ago

+1 I have always thought that of all the realignment talk, the one conference that made sense for KU to go to is the conference that rarely is brought up. The Big 10/12 makes the most sense based on location. It would be a nightmare for KU in football, but should be very very interesting for basketball and other sports.

TXBBall55 6 years, 2 months ago

Dude, he knows what is happening...and he's loving it! They have one KU rep, the rest went to some crummy other Kansas school. They're loving the fact that they get to bring KU to its knees. PERIOD!

COJayhawker 6 years, 2 months ago

I emailed this guy. I suggest we all fill his inbox. I doubt it will help, but doing nothing is guaranteed to not help.

Lance Hobson 6 years, 2 months ago

The whole thing is terrible, but we need to take the ACC if they want us and not go to the Big East just to keep tied to KState. This fad will die out in a few years and the Big 12 will reform. There's a reason why the giant WAC didn't last that way.

itsalwayssunnyinlarry 6 years, 2 months ago

"McKechnie said whatever happens he wants KU and KSU to be in the same conference, and hopefully that conference will be the Big 12"

so...we're screwed right? I had heard before that we weren't a package deal.

JayHawk_from_SWKS 6 years, 2 months ago

I think I speak for everyone when I say

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Benjamin Piehler 6 years, 2 months ago

If you have to.... drop KSU like they're hot....

ejlumus 6 years, 2 months ago

I bought a call on KU on the other message board. i just bought an efn put with this news item.

We are doomed if we are tied together. Let the schools make their own deal, we may still end up in the same conference.

jayhawkboogeyman 6 years, 2 months ago

It has never been any more official than wishful thinking on KU's part that KSU does not come as a package. The local reporters have rolled over to the hype that KU will be ok, while now all indications are we will end up in a ragtag craphole with KSU and the other Big 12 losers, plus some curb trash from the Big East and/or non-BCS schools.

Andy Tweedy 6 years, 2 months ago

Curb trash! I like that...wish it weren't true, but not sure what else to call SFU, Louisville, Cincy, etc, at least in football! Of course, when it comes to football, they're probably saying the same thing about us!

franklin2739 6 years, 2 months ago

I beleive regents are appointed by Gov. Brownback. That said, contact Brownback and point out to him that if KU and KSU are tied together in this realignment mess, KU alumni will put so much money in the hands of the DEMs during his re-election that Kansas will be more liberal than San Fransico. I'm talking medical marijuana being sold on every street corner, an ammendment to the Kansas constitution that requires gay marriage, and it will only be legal to say the word "God" if it is followed by "Dammit" in public.

TXBBall55 6 years, 2 months ago

LOL +1

Unfortunately, for every super angry KU fan, there will be happy fans from every other school. It's actually a net gain for them...and they know it.

Bye KU. It was a good run...should have had your own BOR and WAY better leadership.

franklin2739 6 years, 2 months ago

Why? We are demanding that KSU not go to a super con. Just that they are not tied to us. If KSU got an invite, I would not want the Board of Regents making them take us along. To be honest that is insulting. Having at least one BCS school in a Conference would be good for the entire state. If we don't have one than Kansas is North Dakota. Honestly, if the Kansas BOR do insist that KU and KSU stay together the entire higher ed system in the state loses prestige and money. Plus, it is political sucide for Brownback. KU alumni dominate in this state. We have more students rolling through than KSU, more political clout, and I don't see how Washburn alumni are happy that KU is in a weaker position.

Last point, their is no law or rule that ties us together. Expect lawsuits

Dan Pawlowski 6 years, 2 months ago

GTF off our board. I really wish Texas would have seceded when they were threatening to do so. No one would have tried to stop them and we would be talking about this issue now.

franklin2739 6 years, 2 months ago

Are you suggesting I'm a UT fan? I'm really confused. I think you replied to the wrong person. I hate UT. I think everything I have written is pro KU. I just realized I mis-typed. I intended to say " We are not demanding that KSU not go to a super con". still , I'm not from UT. I bleed crimson and blue, and was drinking when I wrote that. Sorry... I guess. Calling me a UT troll is really insulting..

Dan Pawlowski 6 years, 2 months ago

Sorry I was not replying to you I was replying to TXBball55. Again, I apologize.

nckujayhawk 6 years, 2 months ago

Actually, most were appointed by Parkinson

Luke Kay 6 years, 2 months ago

HAHAHA +1 it would be awkward at first... but just imagine elementary school children all over the state saying "the pledge of allegiance" WINNING!

Eric Dawson 6 years, 2 months ago

Ok, before blowing a gasket, the first question I want answered is this -- Is KU legally (NOT politcally, but legally) bound by a Kansas State Board of Regents order to stay in the same athletic conference as KState? Gray-Little said "no" at the start of this mess. If she is right and KU is not, I would happily point out that our chancellor is not tied to the state, and thus has more wherewithal to do what is best for KU, even if it goes against BOR "guidance". Might be politically harmful in the short run, but it would almost certainly work out best for both schools in the long run. The state of Kansas is simply not populous enough in people and business to continue to try to support two large state schools as equals, and the Board needs to understand that or else both schools are going to severely degraded.

Jonathan Kealing 6 years, 2 months ago

Long, long ago, before I became online editor for our sites here, I covered KU's academic side and the Board of Regents. The regents are, officially, "the governing body for the six state universities" — KU, KSU, WSU, Pitt State, Emporia State and Fort Hays. Just for semantics sake, here's what that means, according to the dictionary: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/governing+body

As a practical manner, the Regents have and annually exercise the power to approve or reject all tuitions, fees and housing expenses for each university. They also make annual appropriation of operating funds for the universities and approve or reject capital improvement projects. They also approve or reject legislative initiatives for the universities. While I've never seen them take specific action with regards to college athletics (except to tell Mark Mangino good job for winning the Orange Bowl and Bill Self brave for his national championship), I do believe it is within their power, explicitly, to say yes you can go separate ways, or no you can't.

That said, I have yet to see a Board of Regents that has been willing to truly buck its campus presidents. If KU and KSU were united in their desire to go separate ways, I doubt the regents would stop them. Where it gets hazy is when KU and KSU disagree. At all the regents meetings I attended, I don't remember a time when the two schools publicly disagreed about anything. Granted, it's been a few years since I attended all their meetings, but I keep an eye on their agenda still. Don't remember any disagreements there either. So, what happens if they disagree? That's hard to say. My gut says they really won't stop KU from doing what is in its best interest, though I certainly wouldn't bet the Campanile on it.

kuilander 6 years, 2 months ago

they are NOT. BGL already dispelled that there is NO documentation legally joining the two or stating they must be in the same athletic conference together. and when she said that in a very public manner, there was not a single ounce of dispute.

Jonathan Kealing 6 years, 2 months ago

One last point worth making on whether the Board of Regents has the power — whether they'd exercise it is an open question — to prohibit the schools from separating. The Regents are given the power to approve or reject any contract that a state university enters into. See Kan. Stat. 76-721: http://www.kslegislature.org/li/statute/076_000_0000_chapter/076_007_0000_article/076_007_0021_section/076_007_0021_k/

To join an athletic conference, you must sign a contract. So, again, none of this is to say that they would ever actually prohibit the two schools from separating, I'm reasonably sure they have the power to do so.

Hawk007 6 years, 2 months ago

Jonathan, Two points, the BOR now oversees all of the junior colleges in the state as well.

And, isn't our athletic department ruled by KU Athletics, Inc.? Which is actually a separate entity entirely from the University? So technically, they may not have the power to approve the contracts signed by KU Athletics?

lv_jhwk 6 years, 2 months ago

No, the two schools are NOT attached. That from the mouth of a Regent himself.

Now, will that hold when the time comes? I'm more confident that UT would dissolve LHN than that be the case.

kureader 6 years, 2 months ago

The Regents position isn't new news. This has been a problem from the beginning.

The real question is whether Zenger (who has worked for K-Straight much longer than he has worked for KU), our Chancellor (who hasn't seen a fence she can't straddle), or other KU officials/alumni (don't know who) can somehow overcome the position held by the Regents. Who knows?

Michael Bowden 6 years, 2 months ago

I hope that were talking to our ACC connection behind closed door, send KSU to the mountain west they can run that table lol they don't even hold a candle to the mu ku rivalry anyway if the state board is gonna whine we schedule a non conference game every year for the sunflower show down, if ksu is gonna ride are backs get ready for not just are football but basketball to go down the drain as well nobody is gonna wanna play at ku if were the big dog in the mountain west or conference usa or what's left if this potential merger goes down. We better buckle up its gonna be the worst ride!

VaJay 6 years, 2 months ago

Streams of consciousness like this have no place here. If you want to make a point and be read and understood, please go back to English class & work on your grammar, & spelling and maybe think about what you're trying to say before typing it out.

Graczyk 6 years, 2 months ago

Ease on back there, dude. No reason for blindside insults.

Jeff Kilgore 6 years, 2 months ago

No, I agree with VJ. This is a discussion board. If you want to talk, then first of all, figure out how to write a complete sentence. This is a third grade competency on the National Core Curricular Standards. Is that too much to ask?

Not like ht5 would have the slightest idea about "stream of consciousness."

An educated society must demand educated discourse. That might be the title of the next book I don't finish.

ahpersecoachingexperience 6 years, 2 months ago

I thought this was scary when BLG and SZ were involved and now I'm even more scared!

kuilander 6 years, 2 months ago

man, you guys are just looking for the negative in everything. i understand the heightened sensitivity, but good lord ... reeeelax. there isnt one thing in that article that is detrimental to KU. so McKechnie is saying he hopes for the big xii and the two schools to be together when he has a microphone uut in his face. is this REALLY something we didnt know already?? come on. if it comes down to it, the bix x11-2-1 is gone, and KU has an opportunity to go and the kitties dont, ku is gone. there is nothing the bor can do in that situation other than THREATEN funding that goes to KU, and there is no way in hell any bor or boc or political figure would ever go through with that just because of a schools ATHLETIC affiliation ... ever. more to the point, if texas legislature and state funding operatives didnt touch texas a&m with a ten foot pole when push came to shove, it aint happening in the state of kansas either ... or any state. it would be political suicide to even attempt to do something like that over athletic affiliation, much less over academics.

Randy Bombardier 6 years, 2 months ago

I don't think we will be tied together. We might both apply to the Big together and let the chips fall where they may. We might also be partners in a lawsuit against the five schools that swore to keep the conference together last year. Darn, knew I should have chosen law school.

DVLPER 6 years, 2 months ago

We are in trouble if this is true, does this guy have any clue the damage he could do by even putting that bs out there? Kstate belongs in the mountain west, not the flagship institution! Hopefully this guy is educated very quickly, otherwise his job should be taken!

LloydDobbler 6 years, 2 months ago

This from a guy who supports a football team that allowed Georgia Tech's record setting rushing on Saturday. Yea, KU is going to look really good in the Big 10 or, God forbid, the SEC. Can you say constant, biblical butt-kicking?

Ben Kane 6 years, 2 months ago

with Perry making his decision soon, i hope BS got in his ear recently about this conference stuff. after all, if we go to an inferior conference it will be our bb team that resurrects us. losing a local top recruit at the same time as losing the bcs would be awful. we are on the cusp of the largest rebuilding season in the self area (specially now with the loss of anderson) and have to consider Perry a huge priority.

with his decision on wednesday on all this conference baloney i can't handle the anticipation.

LogicMan 6 years, 2 months ago

It's our turn to make the Greedy 2+2 sweat! Let's hope there's an offer on the table for KU, KSU, MU and maybe ISU to go to the Big 10.

Enough of their disloyalty and drama.

kuilander 6 years, 2 months ago

in trouble if what is true?!? that he hopes the big xii survives, that he wishes the two schools to be together?? how on earth are in trouble because of this???

droppinplates 6 years, 2 months ago

LOL. You idiots need to settle down. Geezus, all the "good bye KU" doom and gloom is rediculous. The guy said he wants them in the same conference. Doesn't mean it will happen. How old are you clowns??

kuilander 6 years, 2 months ago

no kidding, this drives me insane when our fans act completely illogical like this. for cripes sake, the guy said he thinks the bix xii is viable and he wishes the two schools remain together ... wow. thats big news right there ... not.

TXBBall55 6 years, 2 months ago

Anyone that doesn't understand what it means to be tied to dead-weight like KSU doesn't have a clue. While Utah is counting its $35 MILLION per year I'll remind you Kansas Cowboys just how badly KSU has already screwed KU.

LloydDobbler 6 years, 2 months ago

UT screwed KU...BGL has screwed KU. KSU has done nothing to KU.

jayhawkinsf 6 years, 2 months ago

Like it or not, we are tied to KSU. That has been a political reality since before any poster here was born. What is happening now has nothing to do with tying us to them. The question is can we divorce ourselves from them, if it comes to that. This meeting can't hurt our chances since the worst thing that can happen is the status quo. What we can hope for is the opportunity to go our separate ways should it come to that. All that said, if there is a chance to help out K-State while screwing missouri, I'm all for that.

100 6 years, 2 months ago

If the board of regents only played fair is fair games, Pitt State, Emporia State & all would have to also follow KU if OU & UT were actually stupid enough to risk their legacies by going PAC.

DVLPER 6 years, 2 months ago

Well, this guy has the ability to make that happen. If they decide not to allow the schools to split, that's it.

Joseph Kuebel 6 years, 2 months ago

So, if KU gets a chance to leave and join a stable BCS Conference, the Kansas legislature is going to stick us with a no name, $#¡€ conference cuz KSU can't get in on their own?????

This meeting better address this subject or these clowns should be fired on the spot. What kind of government wants its state to have 0 top flight universities??? Which is what will be the end result if these donkeys tie us together w kstate.

They have to be smart enough to know that KU will be severely hurt, if not completely destroyed and will only remain a shell of itself if we are forced to be with this clownish purple cowboy school.

Joseph Kuebel 6 years, 2 months ago

Sounds almost similar to: you cannot take away the man's right to make an income... Appears like KUs right to make an income as a top school would be stripped, totally unamerican.

DevilHawk 6 years, 2 months ago

The meeting is probably just to let K-State know that it can keep the name "Wildcats" because the school does not have offers from the Pac (Arizona), the B1G (Northwestern), or the SEC (Kentucky).

Hammertoe 6 years, 2 months ago

I would hate to see K-State not have the opportunity to dominate ku in sports (13-1 last year in all sports) and especially in the Money Sport of Football (59-7 last year) . KU fans lower your ego's and come to reality. Why would any BCS conference be interested in one of the weakest football teams in the country with one of the worst stadiums in the country?

TXBBall55 6 years, 2 months ago

Go back to your farm sheep lover. KU has completely dominated the purple pukes FOREVER! KSU is a complete embarrassment to the State. One decent year doesn't begin to change that. Now go count your 84 cent endowment dork.

Hammertoe 6 years, 2 months ago

In Football? Put down the crack pipe... K-State have never given up 750 yards of offense! Basketball is taking the back seat. Conferences are not realigning over basketball. Do you think anybody in Texas and Oklahoma is even thinking about basketball in the conference realignment money grab?

TXBBall55 6 years, 2 months ago

Hey, when you're right you're right. It still doesn't change the fact that KSU is the most completely irrelevant piece of garbage in this while mess. Have fun in the MWC...just hope KU isn't there to keep you company.

LloydDobbler 6 years, 2 months ago

Big 12 football record: KSU 6 UT 2

Why don't you go bother some of your future PAC 16 partners. This is about Kansas.

Benjamin Piehler 6 years, 2 months ago

64–38–5 overall record vs KSU.... we could lose for decades and still have a better record versus state.

olathefbfan 6 years, 2 months ago

Funny you should say that. From all indications the Hawks will be losing for decades (in football at least).

Jeff Kilgore 6 years, 2 months ago

I usually don't respond to stupidity, but this is the worst. That "worst stadium" is located in about as beautiful a place as there is in America for a football game. You really don't have an argument.

Yeah, KSU has had a good run, but while you're spewing stupidity, the roof is about to fall in on both schools. KU has a chance to land somewhere---KSU, a lesser chance.

Outside of Manhattan, nobody, and I mean nobody thinks about KSU. You think your football team is a big deal because it beats Kansas? No. Everywhere I read on the internet, KSU is unfairly targeted as a no-place destination--as dumb an idea as you posted in your purple pride.

The reason KSU has a chance landing in an BCS school, and that chance is slim, is because of KU, which has a national reputation in basketball.

I'm not clowning on KSU. I hope both schools land somewhere, but your pointless, one-year domination in rodeo and all the other unimportant sports don't matter one bit. You know that. Use your time more wisely. End of transmission.

Benjamin Piehler 6 years, 2 months ago

Sort of insulting yourself considering the fact that we have already gotten at least a little attention from other conferences... if your football program is so much better than our hoops program why hasn't a single conference shown any interest?

hawksince51 6 years, 2 months ago

Big difference between "he wants" and 'he requires.' I have to think the BOR will go along with what is best for KU with or without KSU. The same would go for KSU. Having said that, my reality check says that if UT and OU along with their subsidiaries go to the Pac ??, there is better than a 50% chance we end up in the merged leftover conference from B12 and BE along with KSU, ISU, and Baylor. That is because the Pac will be full, the ACC will soon be full, and the B1G and SEC are unlikely to be interested in KU's weak FB program, small stadium, and limited TV market. MU will probably have better options. I sincerely hope my reality check is wrong.

JayDocMD 6 years, 2 months ago

This is horrible. I've have said repeatedly that I don't know how any conference can be undertaking any kind of meaningful discussion about bringing in KU when EVERY current and historical indication from the board of regents has been binding the 2 schools together. And everyone can quit mentioning Bernadette - KU Administrators have no authority.

KSU, rather the perception of an attached KSU, has tied our hands in negotiations and has not allowed for any type of meaningful movement - and ultimately may have sunk any shot of landing in the Big 10 or PAC 12.

Ideally they would have met today and publicly announced that, while they hope the 2 can stay together, they are each free to negotiate on their own. If anything less than that comes from Thursday, we are destined for whatever fate befalls KState.

Jeff Kilgore 6 years, 2 months ago

Bill Self needs to storm the Board of Regents, slam his fist down on the tables of our hallowed leaders, (urp), and tell them what they need to do. There is no time for KU to act with sensitivity and aplomb. This is time for getting to the last teat before the sow turns over.

Ryan Mullen 6 years, 2 months ago

Would you please stop pretending to be a Doctor. You can't even put together sentences let alone paragraphs.

JayDocMD 6 years, 2 months ago

Guess I struck a nerve with POTUS. Maybe I'm not a doctor. Maybe my first name is Jay and my nickname is "Doc." Maybe I live in Maryland. Maybe I should play a doctor on these message boards and diagnose you with a (lack of) personality disorder.

Other than that, I don't recall dispensing any medical advice recently on these boards.

As far as the grammar - do the hyphens - bother - you - along with the run-on sentences? The incomplete sentences? Please tell me so I fix my deficiencies and thus better tailor my posts to please you.

Otherwise, in the spirit of a KU message board and since you are a fellow Jayhwak I wish no ill-will towards you and best of luck on winning a second term.

JayDocMD 6 years, 2 months ago

I now see the error that likely inspired your displeasure. The "I've have" mistake is just unpardonable and I apologize for offending your grammatical senses.

I can only say that while typing my thoughts on my phone, my presbyopia, ADHD and carpal tunnel syndrome did play a factor. I will now sing Hail to the Chief 20 times as penance.

Christopher Hauser 6 years, 2 months ago

Tim Emert, who earned a Juris Doctorate from The University of Kansas is the only board member that has ties to The University of Kansas from what I know.

Christopher Hauser 6 years, 2 months ago

The Kansas Regents website says he is a Juris Doctor of Law, which he recieved from KU. Is there a difference between Juris Doctor and Juris Doctorate, I thought they were the same thing.

"Governor Mark Parkinson appointed Tim Emert to the Kansas Board of Regents in 2010. He currently serves as Vice Chair of the Board. Emert is a partner in the Emert, Chubb and Gettler law firm in Independence.

Emert is a past president and board member of the William Inge Festival Foundation, a board member of the St. Andrew’s School Foundation, and is serving as the chairman of the Independence Downtown Art and Cultural Advisory Board.

He earned his Associate Degree from Independence Community College. He went on to earn a B.S. in Journalism and a Juris Doctor from the University of Kansas. Emert and his wife, Barbara, have three adult daughters and one grandchild. In his free time, he enjoys traveling and gardening." --http://www.kansasregents.org/tim_emert

Jeff Kilgore 6 years, 2 months ago

As I lampoon our state government, they're waiting until Thursday to talk this over. Thursday. This is what we get for leadership in this backwards state. These are the people we have put in place to represent us during important times. Thanks a lot. By the time Thursday rolls around, they're going to be caught with their pants down. Wait, that happened today.

The new Big 12. Creighton, Tulsa, Drake, Brown Mackie, Missouri State, Central Arkansas, KU, Wayne State, Davenport Chiropractic Clinic, Barnes and Noble State, (no wait, they've already merged), Olivet, St. Mary's of the Plains--no St. Mary's of Leavenworth, Kansas State, and Kinko Central.

Friday, September 23. 2011 Kansas officials are proud to announce the formation of the New Big 12 Conference.

"We're excited by this new conference," stated Ed McKechnie. "We're particularly pleased to keep our state schools together." Sometime in the next 30 months, we're going to be announcing a premiere tv package with KTWU, a deal worth hundreds--perhaps thousands," he said with a knowing smile. "I know we have 15 schools, we're still entertaining offers from all over Shawnee County to get to the magic number that will make us a Super Conference," he stated as he hiked hiking his shoulders proudly and adjusted his Wildcat belt. He then drove away in his Ram truck, with its famous Cummings engine.

DevilHawk 6 years, 2 months ago

They probably already gave the 'OK' to KU to do what it needs to do regarding realignment. Otherwise the meeting would have been moved up to tomorrow.

This is probably the "KU put in applications to the Pac and B1G and was waiting for OU and UT to figure out what they were doing" meeting.

Jeff Kilgore 6 years, 2 months ago

If you're right, I'd be stunned. Kansas, and especially its political leadership, is not known for acting in concordance in the same century in which it exists.

Didn't you love DCC? The Clinic?

Randy Bombardier 6 years, 2 months ago

Believe me, Topeka is run a lot better than most states and far better than DC. You should know that KU has one of the best public policy and public administration programs in the country. You did know that, right?

CaramelMacchMan 6 years, 2 months ago

We can't deal with KSU or we'll be playing in C-USA with them. So no deal.

CaramelMacchMan 6 years, 2 months ago

if Kansas Board of Regents does not let KU go where it wants to go, I'm going on a hunger strike. (Gandhi style)

Jeff Kilgore 6 years, 2 months ago

Osceola, ironically named itself after the famous Seminole leader.

I love Wikipedia. "Osceola had two wives and at least five children. One of his wives was a black woman, and he fiercely opposed the enslavement of free peoples."

Well, now slave state? What do you have to say for this?

question4u 6 years, 2 months ago

Wow. You people are incredible! Of course we want the best for KU, but all of this stupidity toward KSU is completely classless. There hasn't been any suggestion that the two schools are linked except for the fact that neither has garnered much interest so far from any other conference that might pick up the pieces of the Big 12.

It's tough to face up to the fact that KU is not a plum, but listen to yourselves. If KU had the success of OU on the football field or academics comparable to those at UT, things would be different. KU might still squeeze into one of the major conferences as the last one through the door, but if we don't it's not going to have anything to do with KSU. Grow up.

hawksince51 6 years, 2 months ago

Some of us who have posted above have already stated most of your points. And, at my advanced age I do not appreciate being told to grow up sonny-boy.

franklin2739 6 years, 2 months ago

I don't want KSU to get screwed in all this. That being said, I don't see us making to the same super congerence even if both of us make one. Despite what you think about academics, KU works for the Big 10 while K-State is not an AAU school. K-state should slip into the ACC in the last spot if the SEC raids them (this could happen). Both temas will be the last worthy teams standing when leagues get to number 16. However, if we are forced to stay together KSU and KU are screwed because the reject league is going to be awful. Neither team will want to be there and we both had a chance at something elese. Sure I still want to play KSU but not as the highlight of of the year. this sucks for everyone.

LogicMan 6 years, 2 months ago

Ok, I don't see anything in the article other than the Big East. So maybe there's no firm invitations, and the BOR is just discussing things. Stuff will happen fast if the Big 12 implodes further, and it would be good to be prepared. Hopefully KU and KSU do then land in the same conference, and if not the Big 12+? then the B1G or PAC-??. But who knows, maybe the best offers will be KU to the B1G and KSU to the SEC.

Jeff Kilgore 6 years, 2 months ago

KSU to the SEC? Not a chance. Not even 1%. Not with the likes of VT and others. They're not regional enough. Football is good enough, but there are better, closer, and more logical choices.

scraptown 6 years, 2 months ago

In all honesty, I think most of you will be glad to be tied to KSU, you're going to end up in a Big 12/Big East hybrid either way, at least now you can complain, until the end of time, about how you'd be dominating the Big 10, if it weren't for the Wildcats.

The writing is on the wall, KU is in no better position than K-state, and they're both in a far worse position than MU, who has the best shot at Big 10 or SEC.

scraptown 6 years, 2 months ago

Nice rebuttal, like I said, the writing is on the wall...

Jeff Kilgore 6 years, 2 months ago

I'm thinking that as a KU fan, the cluster conference is about equivalent to competing as an independent, which I would rather see KU do. Play regional schools in football, including the likes of Tulsa, etc, and go it alone in basketball. I honestly don't see why we couldn't. The money we lose probably gets spent in trying to keep up with all the athletic programs we'd still have to sponsor.

John Sheehan 6 years, 2 months ago

In the realignment game, there is no payoff for partnering with another school, unless that school has leverage. K-State has ZERO leverage.The only schools with any power are Texas and OU. Our leadership is absolutely crazy if they think there is ANY payoff aligning ourselves with K-State if we want into a major conference. This is Zenger's opportunity to shine and prove his loyalty.

That being said, if we come to our senses, assuming we can't get tied up to OU or Texas (both of which I think are Pac 16 bound), our best option is to let the dust settle. KU and possibly MU will be the only schools left from the Little XII with any clout and all remaining conferences will be looking to round out to 16 teams.

At that point the Big Ten would be looking hard at us...we would fit very nicely - 2 bitter rivals with geographic appeal, football fan base (MU) and elite basketball needed (KU). MU and Illinois are already rivals. KU adds prestige basketball season playing Indiana, Ohio State, Michigan State every year. Rivalries with Nebraska are renewed. The Big 10 picks up two top 30 TV markets in KC and STL. That is my dream scenario, and also makes a lot of sense.

scraptown 6 years, 2 months ago

I find it very amusing that everyone will cry foul at having to be tied to K-state, then in the next breath suggest KU piggybacking on MU's more favorable position.

John Sheehan 6 years, 2 months ago

It is a more favorable, appealing partnership to all these conferences. Pull off the blinders.

I'm not an MU fan...but there is a reason they danced with the Big 10 a year ago. There is a reason they now are a front runner for the SEC.

IMO. MU has a better alumni base, has better educational appeal to a major conference, and they have been more competitive in football on a consistent basis in recent years.

And don't forget - this is all about money and MU would bring the STL market.

There is not a single major conference out there that would consider KSU over MU.

I would like to see KSU and MU in the Big 10 with us, but I'd say our chances are better tied in with MU - without a doubt.

nckujayhawk 6 years, 2 months ago

Why not spend some of the time and energy that everyone is spending on these message boards, and use it instead, use it to contact Kansas political leaders to encourage them to pressure the KBOR to understand the political, social, and financial ramifications that the wrong decision can have on the state of Kansas.

P0WER 6 years, 2 months ago

Personally, KU, KSU, ISU and MU to the Big 10 makes the most sense to me.

hawksince51 6 years, 2 months ago

But this whole thing is about dollars, not sense.

P0WER 6 years, 2 months ago

Understood. But why wouldn't it make financial sense also? Big 10 already has a network, revenue sharing, etc. It would be a dominant 16 team conference in both football and basketball. Geographically it makes sense; not to mention there are a lot of tv sets between Happy Valley, PA and Manhattan, KS. The Big 10 rivalries plus KU/MU, ISU/Iowa, MU/Illinois, KU/KSU and annual match ups on the hardwood against Indiana, OSU, Michigan, Wisconsin and Michigan St. Other than being reunited with Nebraska it sounds like a match made in realignment heaven. Or maybe I am just dreaming.

TXBBall55 6 years, 2 months ago

I don't think you're dreaming. KSU is dead-weight and they just need to partner up with WSU in the MVC. KU will do well in the Big 10 with Mizzou, ND, and ISU.

Kevin Huffman 6 years, 2 months ago

Most realistic "saving possibility" from this ugly Big XII / Big East merger at this point is latching on w/ Mizzou & West Virginia to take the SEC to 16. Certainly I favored Big Ten, PAC-16 AND ACC (in that order) over SEC. But SEC >>>>>>>>> alternative waiting us out there. SEC would pretty much be adding KU to introduce a basketball power into the SEC West which has been SEVERELY lacking. I.e., I think the division winner, Alabama, last year was on the wrong-side of the bubble. They've had some good ones in the East (namely, UK, Vanderbilt, Florida & Tennessee)...but been SORELY lacking quality bball in the West. A&M, themselves already helps that though.

LloydDobbler 6 years, 2 months ago

13 and 1...KSU's record versus KU in 2010 in all sports. Don't get me wrong, I don't want KSU and KU tied together either. It's not fair to each school...they should compete on their own merits. But remember this...realignment is about football. Even ESPN commentators have stated this pretty emphatically. As good as KU's basketball history is, that's not what this is about. Nobody in a position that matters gives a damn.

You can spew all the self-aggrandizing crap you want to about how great KU is, but facts suggest poor overall leadership on all fronts for at least 10 years and remnants of a morally deficient former AD that are still felt today (reference the weekend pounding KU took...would that have happened if Mangino were still around?).

I hope it works out well for both schools and don't really care if they are together. At this point, having read the hateful crap in these posts, maybe it's better if they aren't. After all, I would hate to see KU hold KSU back.

Ryan Mullen 6 years, 2 months ago

This is not about football. Conferences want viewership and that means media markets. Oklahoma is a brand not just a good football team. When Oklahoma is on people all over the country watch. When K-State is on people all over Manhattan watch. This is not about football. As with everything in this world it is about money and TV contracts provide that. And sir please don't molest any pigs tonight, let them have there sleep.

pgittemeier09 6 years, 2 months ago

notaubermime 6 years, 2 months ago

A quick scroll through the comments and it seems to me that people may have missed something. Oklahoma and Texas had their regents meet yesterday. Oklahoma State's regents meet Wednesday. The Kansas Board of Regents meet Thursday. Texas Tech's regents will not meet this week.

Anyone else see something interesting there?

TXBBall55 6 years, 2 months ago

No. Tech already gave their leadership the thumps up. No reason for them to meet. TTU doesn't have its head up its...

Mike Skiles 6 years, 2 months ago

After reading these comments, and the Kansas in-fighting of west versus east, big versus smaller schools, state government versus everyone apparently........I am now truly disheartened on the realignment uncertainties. I've been holding hope for some leadership from KU administration, or influential alumni, or perhaps god?..... But with lack of any evident actions, and the music beginning to wind down on this round of college conference musical chairs, it is beginning to look bleaker with every passing day. I didn't want it to come to this......but it is now time to light the prayer candles and pray for devine intervention!

haydenhawkco 6 years, 2 months ago

"State higher education officials will meet in closed session on Thursday to review what is going on with the Big 12. Kansas Board of Regents Chairman Ed McKechnie of Arcadia said Monday that he wanted to make sure board members were up to speed on all the talk about conference realignment".

If only they would have read Tait's daily blog, they would have been up to speed long ago. I'm glad they are meeting after it looks like the Big 12 has already dissolved.

JHawk06 6 years, 2 months ago

The idea of being tied to K-State scares me to death…..they will drag us down so far below where we should naturally end up.

Please join me in a prayer for the Big 10.

rs1123 6 years, 2 months ago

The Board of Regents Chairman Ed McKechnie is from Arcadia. I can bet over half of the people in Kansas have no idea where Arcadia is. I know I don't and I've been to most of the couties in the state.

If you want to complain about the elected officials in Kansas just look at the buffoon in the Governors mansion. Case closed, Proud to be from Kansas, Glad I don't live in Kansas.

RCJH

statesupporter 6 years, 2 months ago

Its outside of Pittsburg. I don't understand why anyone from this state would discount a guy who has done no harm other than saying he would like for two schools to remain close. Being from Pittsburg, Ed knows football. Just at a lower level. But, make no mistake, He is from a little school in southeast kansas that has 3 football national championships. 3 more than anyone esle around here. Maybe the big boys should study the smaller one for a change. Check out this link, look at it, and come back when you know something.

WestNEHawk 6 years, 2 months ago

The BigEast is in decline. NDame isn't completely stupid. They need a conference affiliation for their non-football sports. A little east conference isn't of value and NDame will view the Big10+ as a huge money generating machine.

The next step is logical. The Big10+ isn't bound by the wishes of a Kansas regent. The Big10+ will look at overall institutional quality and hopefully extend an invite to KU (without the manure facility to the west ). Forget about meth' mizery - they're not a Big10+ type institution.

tominkc 6 years, 2 months ago

This is stupid. Tying K-State to KU really doesn't increase K-State's options/viability. KU doesn't have the football cache to bring K-State with it to the Pac-whatever, the Big Ten, or the ACC, and it seems K-State's academics could be a problem as well. If KU and K-State are tied together, then realistically, the best they can do is the Big 12-Big East "leftover" conference. K-State can get in there with or without KU. So, why not let KU see what it can get on its own?

Someone might have already mentioned this, but won't KU and K-State both have the opportunity at the BoR meeting to lay out what they have in the way of options? If KU can lay out options that are only available without K-State, maybe the BoR realizes how truly moronic it is to tie KU and K-State together and screw both schools.

Mike Barnhart 6 years, 2 months ago

Where did all this crap begin? Maybe here: "If Big Ten Called, Missouri Would Listen," - Gabe DeArmond, Missouri beat writer for the Kansas City Star, December 16th 2009.

Thanks Miz-sery!

Steve Brown 6 years, 2 months ago

who agrees? My goal is to stay in or find a chair in a BCS conference with MU and KState. If that is not possible, then free all ties. While my devotion is 100% KU I would not take down KState or MU if they got a BCS offer somewhere safe after B12 implodes. Abandon ship, women and children first, man the lifeboats.

Keep KU in Lawrence but move our football program to San Antonio, they are one of the top ten fastest growing cities, have large stadium, huge TV market. Sort of like a lend lease program, we loan them Jayhawk ball and they loan us 80,000 fans a game. while we lower the feild tear up the track and add more seats.

sometimes in face of chaos only path is silliness when reason fails.

Orangedog87 6 years, 2 months ago

1) Government at work is a beautiful thing..unless you expect a reasonable and competent outcome.

2) KU has a great BB tradition. Great current and past BB coaches but do not forget when we go bashing on KSU which school has repeatedly lost to mid-majors in the NCAA tournament of which last years was the most heart breaking and has also had for many years a football program that has not been anyones idea of great football.

3) I am praying that KU lands in a good spot and retains HCBS.