Originally published November 27, 2011 at 12:01a.m., updated November 27, 2011 at 01:02a.m.

Missouri’s T.J. Moe wants Border War to continue

Kansas safety Victor Simmons (27) wraps up Missouri wide receiver T.J. Moe during second half Saturday, Nov. 26, 2011 at Arrowhead Stadium.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Turner Gill

Kansas coach Turner Gill talks to reporters following the Jayhawks' 24-10 loss to Missouri on Nov. 26, 2011.

Download podcast

KU coach Turner Gill press conference

KU coach Turner Gill talks to reporters following the Jayhawks' 24-10 loss to Missouri on Nov. 26, 2011.

— Missouri junior receiver T.J. Moe brought a personal item to Arrowhead Stadium for Saturday’s Border War game against Kansas.

“We fly the flag of Quantrill in our locker room right now,” Moe said. “It’s up. It’s my flag. I brought it.”

Moe, who purchased the flag off the Internet two years ago, said after MU’s 24-10 victory that the flag was still hanging on the wall in MU’s locker room.

The receiver described it as a black flag with a white Q in the top-left-hand corner.

“You’ve got rivalries who kind of developed over good football games. We’re talking about ... we went over there and killed all their people and burnt their city down. OK?” Moe said. “So that’s what makes it. They hate us. We hate them, too.

“We were maybe on the wrong side of the deal (then). However, we’re the good guys now,” he added with a smile.

The O’Fallon, Mo., native isn’t ready to see the rivalry die.

“I will miss ’em. Yeah,” Moe said of the Jayhawks. “It’s like your brother. You fight with him every day, but at the end of the day, you need him to have the rivalry, and it’s fine. I don’t like ’em at all, but you need them to have a rivalry, don’t you?”

Moe pointed out that, even though they’re not in the same conference, Georgia and Georgia Tech and Florida and Florida State still play each other every season.

“I’ve been telling everybody: The players would like to continue year after year,” Moe said. “You’ve got Bill Self, he’s all fired up about not ever wanting to play Missouri again. I heard coach (Turner) Gill over there, he didn’t want to, either. It’s mostly the higher-ups. Their AD, he’s all fired up too.”

Moe said no team could replace KU as MU’s rival.

“Well, dude, if they don’t want to play any more, they don’t want to play any more,” Moe said. “Take your toys and go home. Whatever.”

Moe finished with three catches for 20 yards in what most likely will be the last KU-MU football game for a while.

“They don’t want to play. And really, fine,” Moe said. “I was trying to score enough points to hold us over for the next 50 years.”

• A previous version of this story has been updated.

Comments

Displayhawk 2 years, 4 months ago

Poetic justice would be that the Wal-Mart manager is a KU grad when T.J. Moe goes there to apply for a job, and the manager remembers this Quantrill flag business!

toopelagic 2 years, 4 months ago

I'm not affiliated with either school but why is KU refusing to play MU? Every sports pundit keeps talking about how KU is acting bitter like a "scorned lover".

I'm in the Big 10 (Northwestern), and have been watching the conference realignments. The Big 12 has been pretty unstable since 2008 when OU started hinting of jumping, which obviously propelled CU and Nebraska to leave. MU left for financial and stability purposes. I'm convinced KU would have done the exact same thing given the opportunity.

Second longest rivalry behind Min and Wisc,...shame to just stop it.

bjejayhawk69 2 years, 4 months ago

Having grown up in north central Kansas with 5 siblings and many friends that went to KSU the only rivalrly I knew was KU KSU. Now having lived in the KC area for 20 years the KU MU rivalry is huge but primarily in this area. It is big for both schools east of Lawrence and west of Columbia. I have a feeling other areas of both Kansas and Missouri don't care as much about it.

Continuing it only benefits Missouri for fan support and for recruiting presence in the KC area. For KU to continue it would only benefit Misery and therefore why would KU want to continue it. For MU and their state's fearless leader Nixon to say it is KU's issue, well every one can see it simply comes down to - MU is the school leaving. If the rivalry was so important why are you leaving. You are putting $$$$$$$$ over everything. You are the ones screwing your own fan base on many levels.

TJ Moe = idiot. I am sure your African American team mates love what you stand for. Plus his play has regressed this year. Good luck getting open next year in the SEC.

Kristospherein 2 years, 4 months ago

To H*ll With Mizzou (THWM). You can't have your cake and eat it too. This rivalry is not over but the Border War is dead in the water. Go start a new in conference rivalry with Arkansas...the only team you have even a hint of similarity with in the SEC.

FLJHK 2 years, 4 months ago

The other rivalries cited: Florida-FSU, Georgia-G. Tech, are among schools that have never been in the same conference. Also, they are schools in the same state so there is an internal economic benefit. Neither of these factors are in consideration in the KU-MU rivalry.

MU chose to end the rivalry by bolting a conference affiliation they had shared for a century. No way we should ever agree to play them again. Only MU would gain, by maintaining a presence in the KC metro area. We cannot allow that.

Good riddance to a foolish and historically underperforming university.

TXBBall55 2 years, 4 months ago

Mizzou ended with a 1 game edge in football, and KU beat MU to a bloody pulp in basketball. I'll take it! Have fun taking it "Deliverance style" in the SEC.

RCJH!!!

plogan 2 years, 4 months ago

We could offer to play missouri in basketball every year....in Allen Field House.

bootlegger 2 years, 4 months ago

It was indeed a pleasure beating you jaychicken; redlegs at Arrowhead...........

Dan Pawlowski 2 years, 4 months ago

I'm bored with the inbreds. They represent no challenge to me. I'm out of here.

CrodieBroyle 2 years, 4 months ago

tj moe is a stupid confederate p.o.s., he can rot in hell with the rest his bushwhacker brethren

Swamphawk 2 years, 4 months ago

I'd suggest that if they really want to keep the rivalry then make it up to us by coming and playing at our house for the next 10 years or so. I don't see why we should go to play them at there place or any other structure inside the state of Missouri.

JhawkalumJB 2 years, 4 months ago

I'm sure MIZWHO, Missourah, Misery, whatever you wanna call em still wants to play KU. Once they are playing a full SEC schedule the wins are gonna be hard to come by, and KU appears to be a winnable game for the tiggers for the foreseeable future.

I must admit I will enjoy seeing them struggle and bask in mediocrity in the SEC. Good riddance, now just go away already..CHUMPS!!!

hihawk 2 years, 4 months ago

Missouri wants t keep the rivalry going as long as KU keeps gill. Missouri sure made an @ss out of KU with them running around with the KU drum after the game.

kusully 2 years, 4 months ago

Can you imagine bedtime stories at the Moe's. The SEC is going to roll out the red carpet for his family. You think his dad owns a pointy hat? TJ Moe: Mangna Scum Laude.

bootlegger 2 years, 4 months ago

"Are ye gonna throw that football?" or just whistle Dixie............

Topside 2 years, 4 months ago

And people in Hell want ice water...who cares what TJ moe wants, I don't. The real "scoreboard", slave lover is that the south lost. If u want the rivalry to continue drive ur jacked up pickup or camaro with confederate flag window graffix up to the ADs office and bitch to them. Enjoy the SEC=epic fail!

HottRod 2 years, 4 months ago

TJ Moe is obviously uneducated but did you expect any thing else? I am okay with the border showdown ending. We need to look toward the future and every year fan behavior seems to get even more toxic over this rivalry. On both the KU and MU side you have idiot fans who take the game too far. I am perfectly happy with Mizzou going to the SEC and losing most of their games and wishing they were back in the Big 12. Mizzou isn't close to being near the top team in the Big 12 so I doubt they will go to the SEC and have the success they think. Lets put them behind us and focus on the NEW big 12 and supporting our athletics.

Displayhawk 2 years, 4 months ago

How about KU agrees to play MU if they give us all that extra money they are going to make in the SEC??? C'mon MU, put your money where your mouth is!

jartiv 2 years, 4 months ago

Hmmm the flag sounds a little over the top, but I think this kid gets it. I for one want the rivalry to continue because he's right. WE need the rivalry.

I was there last night in the student section. It was amazingly awesome.... Mizzou fans were starting stuff with KU fans. One KU girl had shown up with her Mizzou boyfriend and 4 of his friends - they started s**t with the KU crowd, and lets just say she ended up going home with her KU family. Some guys tried to play keep away with my Jayhawk hat in the hall so I shoved a beer in one of their faces. Yes, it all sounds so hateful. But that's what the rivalry is - WE LOVE TO HATE MISSOURI.

I was one of the unfortunate few to sit in the student section last night and it was a surreal moment realizing that this was it. The loss was expected - thanks Gill. Maybe we'll get it started again in 4 - 5 years, but it won't be the same unless we keep it going.

Displayhawk 2 years, 4 months ago

jhawkrulz 2 years, 4 months ago

"We were MAYBE on the wrong side of the deal (then). However, we’re the good guys now,” he added with a smile.

Is he still fighting for the confederates, do they teach history anymore? He does realize that the war was to end slavery, right?

I can't believe his statement.

kusully 2 years, 4 months ago

Are Moe and Jason Sutherland step brothers? Pinkel allows Moe to fly that flag and shoot his mouth off? You stay class Columbia, MO.

troutsee 2 years, 4 months ago

Good-bye and good riddance. Obnoxious fans. Never want to play them again. Rivalry is one thing. Hatred is another. I had an MU fan stick his drunken face in my face on the way out and shriek an obscenity. Let's just say that I did not let it go unchallenged and let it go at that. They are poor winners and poor losers. I grew up in Missouri and still live in the state but have always disliked there demeanor and their worship of the Dixie flag. They are now where they belong. Never ever want to play them again.

baldwinjhawk 2 years, 4 months ago

I'm sure his black teammates back him 100% on that slaver flag.. Idiot

Michael Maris 2 years, 4 months ago

Living here in St. Charles County, I watched T.J. Moe and Carl Gettis play together at Ft. Zumwalt West High. To hear T.J. Moe talk about purchasing a Quantrill Flag and being so proud of having that flag hung in the Mizzou Locker room makes me wonder just how informed T.J. Moe actually is.

Does he even have a clue as to what Quantrill actually believed in?

I wonder how all of the African-American Mizzou Football players feel about Quantrill (or if they even know of Quantrills beliefs?).

Nonetheless, T.J. Moe has let the Kansas Fans know about his ignorance (or his actual beliefs). I wonder if Carl Gettis knows what William Quantrill actually stood for (as well)?

Eybea Opiner 2 years, 4 months ago

MU desperately wants to maintain a presence in the KC area, and that will be a lot harder to do now that they're in the SEC. Without the KU series they will be hard-pressed to display their wares in western Missouri. They don't really care about maintaining the oldest rivalry west of the Mississippi, they only care about trying to keep their KC area fans involved.

meastland 2 years, 4 months ago

All I keep hearing is that the decision to continue the rivalry is all on KU. My barber made a good point yesterday. When MU is in the SEC with a new crop of schools that they have to schedule every year, whose to say they will even be able to find an open slot to play us? Granted, this is probably more true for football than basketball, but still...

dynamitehawk 2 years, 4 months ago

Cmill1221 2 years, 4 months ago

Well if T.J. Moe wants it....

Benjamin Piehler 2 years, 4 months ago

I'm undecided on if it should continue or not. I just finished watching the "Roll Tide/War Eagle" special on ESPN; the venom shown between the fans reminded me of the Border War in alot of ways. It was cool to have our own rivalry with such strong historical roots. The KU/K-State rivalry is all well and good, but it just doesn't match the Border War.

Last May, I volunteered with a few friends in Joplin to help clear debris from homes damaged by the tornado. By some twist of fate, the day I went down there was the same day the Mizzou football team volunteered. My group of friends and I were selected to be in the same volunteer group as a half of the Tiger team. My friends and I were wearing KU gear, and at one point during the day while trying to pull a stubborn fence-post out of the ground, out a Mizzou player (I don't know who) said, "Look at that... Kansas and Missouri helping each other." For whatever reason, that has kind of stuck with me. After volunteering with the MU team in Joplin, I found new appreciation for the "midwest identity".

KU and MU are actually pretty similar from a collegiate atmosphere point of view. The fans are, generally speaking, good ol' midwestern people and many of us in East Kansas/West Missouri live in the same neighborhoods. It's too bad such similar institutions couldn't have stuck together and kept some sort of identity. Mizzou will likely find that culturally, they have less in common with schools in the deep-south areas.

It's a fierce rivalry, and it's easy to let my contempt for all things Mizzou to cloud my judgement. I'm not trying to get into the politics of why Mizzou left or why KU doesn't want to continue the Border War; I'm just bummed the Big XII was ever unstable enough to cause any school to want to leave. I think Mizzou fans have the right to want to go, and KU fans have a right to be mad about that.

flyingfinn 2 years, 4 months ago

Who in the hell cares what Moe wants he can go get slobberknocked in the SEC what a jerk

kusportsdotcom 2 years, 4 months ago

As far as Missouri players and coaches wanting the rivalry to continue... that's like breaking up with your girlfriend, getting a new girlfriend, and asking the ex to give you a quickie every once in a while. That's just not how it works. "Take your toys and go home. Whatever." Haha.

kusportsdotcom 2 years, 4 months ago

First of all, it's not Quintrill. It's Quantrill. Second, what kind of person flies a Quantrill flag, glorifying the massacre and killing of 200 innocent people? Oh, right, someone from Missouri.

oldnongrad 2 years, 4 months ago

They knew that they weren't playing anymore if they left and went SEC. They left and they deserve to have to go a bit farther to get that game. They worked very hard to get out of the Big XII and deserve to never play another school still in the Conference.