Originally published November 27, 2011 at 12:01a.m., updated November 27, 2011 at 01:02a.m.

Missouri’s T.J. Moe wants Border War to continue

Kansas safety Victor Simmons (27) wraps up Missouri wide receiver T.J. Moe during second half Saturday, Nov. 26, 2011 at Arrowhead Stadium.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Turner Gill

Kansas coach Turner Gill talks to reporters following the Jayhawks' 24-10 loss to Missouri on Nov. 26, 2011.

Download podcast

KU coach Turner Gill press conference

KU coach Turner Gill talks to reporters following the Jayhawks' 24-10 loss to Missouri on Nov. 26, 2011.

— Missouri junior receiver T.J. Moe brought a personal item to Arrowhead Stadium for Saturday’s Border War game against Kansas.

“We fly the flag of Quantrill in our locker room right now,” Moe said. “It’s up. It’s my flag. I brought it.”

Moe, who purchased the flag off the Internet two years ago, said after MU’s 24-10 victory that the flag was still hanging on the wall in MU’s locker room.

The receiver described it as a black flag with a white Q in the top-left-hand corner.

“You’ve got rivalries who kind of developed over good football games. We’re talking about ... we went over there and killed all their people and burnt their city down. OK?” Moe said. “So that’s what makes it. They hate us. We hate them, too.

“We were maybe on the wrong side of the deal (then). However, we’re the good guys now,” he added with a smile.

The O’Fallon, Mo., native isn’t ready to see the rivalry die.

“I will miss ’em. Yeah,” Moe said of the Jayhawks. “It’s like your brother. You fight with him every day, but at the end of the day, you need him to have the rivalry, and it’s fine. I don’t like ’em at all, but you need them to have a rivalry, don’t you?”

Moe pointed out that, even though they’re not in the same conference, Georgia and Georgia Tech and Florida and Florida State still play each other every season.

“I’ve been telling everybody: The players would like to continue year after year,” Moe said. “You’ve got Bill Self, he’s all fired up about not ever wanting to play Missouri again. I heard coach (Turner) Gill over there, he didn’t want to, either. It’s mostly the higher-ups. Their AD, he’s all fired up too.”

Moe said no team could replace KU as MU’s rival.

“Well, dude, if they don’t want to play any more, they don’t want to play any more,” Moe said. “Take your toys and go home. Whatever.”

Moe finished with three catches for 20 yards in what most likely will be the last KU-MU football game for a while.

“They don’t want to play. And really, fine,” Moe said. “I was trying to score enough points to hold us over for the next 50 years.”

• A previous version of this story has been updated.

Comments

oldnongrad 3 years ago

They knew that they weren't playing anymore if they left and went SEC. They left and they deserve to have to go a bit farther to get that game. They worked very hard to get out of the Big XII and deserve to never play another school still in the Conference.

Curtis Stutz 3 years ago

It's a big boost to Misery if they get to play KU in basketball every year, KU gets nothing out of playing Misery. Just 'cause we hate 'em doesn't mean we care to play 'em. KU needs to worry about keeping up OOC games with teams like UCLA and UK in basketball, and if they are going to have 9 conference games in football for the foreseeable future, doesn't leave many left to schedule. If there are any teams that have left the BigXII KU could continue to schedule it's Nebraska and CU, at least their moves made some sense. Nebraska has a more natural rivalry with Iowa brewing and CU is much more western than central plains in culture.

Dan Pawlowski 3 years ago

Agree with all but the last statement about CU. There are plenty of central plains people here and out culture is definitely different than much of the west. It is uniquely Colorado.

Dan Pawlowski 3 years ago

...our culture....I am sure you figured out the typo.

Yosemite 3 years ago

Who names their school mascot after terrorists that murdered, stole, raped and burned? Oh, yeah, KU. You can't rewrite history. Quantrill was seeking revenge for lives and property lost in Missouri by Jayhawkers.

Jaminrawk 3 years ago

Quantrill upported slavery too. Good for you guys.

jmatthews5 3 years ago

Bin Laden was seeking revenge as well...revenge isn't an excuse to kill innocent people and anybody that glorifies William Quantrill is either extremely ignorant about the subject or an absolute psychopath. TJ Moe should be ashamed of himself and Pinkel should at the very least keep this moron away from the media if he isn't going to punish him.

A "Jayhawk" is a big, mythical bird. "Jayhawking" is term that has been associated with the actions you listed and was carried out by both Missourians and Kansans (and folks from lots of other states) during the Civil War era. "Jayhawker" is term adopted by the Kansas regiment fighting off Missourians during this same time period. "Raiders", "Pirates", "Vikings", etc, etc would all be similar names that don't have the best connotations but have been used by sports teams that don't imply the behavior the names were originally derived for.

Yosemite 3 years ago

Lawrence, Kansas was a stronghold for Jayhawkers. To say KU is not glorifying them by taking them on as their mascot is very naive, extremely ignorant, or psychopathic. KU tries to justify it by making their mascot into some cartoon bird, but once again, you can't rewrite history. It's as bad as if some Muslim university called their teams the Al Qaedas.

jmatthews5 3 years ago

You are clearly uneducated on this topic. Again, the term "Jayhawker" and "Jayhawking" are 2 separate things and to try to explain to you why the cartoonish mascot is not a terrorist would be a waste of my time. I sincerely hope you read a bit on William Quantrill and reconsider glorifying him in any manner. It is racist, creepy, and immoral to make him out as a hero.

JayHawkFanToo 3 years ago

But....the Jayhawks have been terrorizing the MU Tigers on the basketball court for a long time now...maybe this is why they hate -make that resent- KU so much.

Yosemite 3 years ago

It was called jayhawking because jayhawkers did it. I know history well enough. You're the one who should reading about the border war. I wasn't glorifying Quantrill, just stating his motives.

jmatthews5 3 years ago

TJ Moe is glorifying Quantrill...not you. You are just defending Mr Moe's ignorance for some reason.

Yosemite 3 years ago

coolhand357 3 years ago

You are right. We should have named the mascot after something more meaningful to our roots... like Tigers.... BWAHAHAHA!!!

Yosemite 3 years ago

The civilian militia that guarded the town of Columbia from Union troops, Confederate troops, bushwhackers, and jayhawkers was nicknamed the Missouri Tigers. It is a very meaningful name in Columbia.

Dan Pawlowski 3 years ago

The term Jayhawker was around before the civil war, 1848, and was used from Texas to Illinois.

Benjamin Piehler 3 years ago

.... the Tigers were a similar group... what's your point?

MizzouBGS 3 years ago

Once again your crimson and blue tinted glasses fail to see the entire picture... You do realize that the burning of Lawrence was Quantrill's response to James Jane burning down Osceola, MO? Why don't you watch the Outlaw Josey Wales from front to back to get an idea about why and how the atrocities started on both sides? Even though the movie is based loosely on facts for entertainment purposes, the premise is accurate with character names changed. I personally find it funny when KU plays quotes from the movie when the primary protagonist is a Missouri bad ass.

In war, you must be willing to do anything and everything your enemy does, and more. Apparently, Quantrill just did it better than Lane and John Brown. Have a nice day.

Jaminrawk 3 years ago

Only a MIZZOU fan would reference Wikipedia. Must be why it's so easy to graduate from there.

Randy Bombardier 3 years ago

And a movie. Was thinking the same thing. Education the Missouri way.

Dan Pawlowski 3 years ago

Still proud to have been slavers I see.

SaltLakeHawk 3 years ago

I'd be interested to know what all the black players on the MU squad think of that flag.

...or what they think in general about MU's despicable past.

JayDocMD 3 years ago

Here's a first hand account of this "hero" who murdered sons, husbands and fathers in front of their wives and children who were pleading and praying for mercy. These men were senators, doctors, judges, clergy and businessmen who were sleeping in their homes and not active military. This was a cold-blooded terroristic act - plain and simple.

Benjamin Piehler 3 years ago

I was a history major, and you have no idea what you are talking about, just like the History Channel.

coolhand357 3 years ago

MizzouBGS = methally challenged.

flyingfinn 3 years ago

Who in the hell cares what Moe wants he can go get slobberknocked in the SEC what a jerk

Benjamin Piehler 3 years ago

I'm undecided on if it should continue or not. I just finished watching the "Roll Tide/War Eagle" special on ESPN; the venom shown between the fans reminded me of the Border War in alot of ways. It was cool to have our own rivalry with such strong historical roots. The KU/K-State rivalry is all well and good, but it just doesn't match the Border War.

Last May, I volunteered with a few friends in Joplin to help clear debris from homes damaged by the tornado. By some twist of fate, the day I went down there was the same day the Mizzou football team volunteered. My group of friends and I were selected to be in the same volunteer group as a half of the Tiger team. My friends and I were wearing KU gear, and at one point during the day while trying to pull a stubborn fence-post out of the ground, out a Mizzou player (I don't know who) said, "Look at that... Kansas and Missouri helping each other." For whatever reason, that has kind of stuck with me. After volunteering with the MU team in Joplin, I found new appreciation for the "midwest identity".

KU and MU are actually pretty similar from a collegiate atmosphere point of view. The fans are, generally speaking, good ol' midwestern people and many of us in East Kansas/West Missouri live in the same neighborhoods. It's too bad such similar institutions couldn't have stuck together and kept some sort of identity. Mizzou will likely find that culturally, they have less in common with schools in the deep-south areas.

It's a fierce rivalry, and it's easy to let my contempt for all things Mizzou to cloud my judgement. I'm not trying to get into the politics of why Mizzou left or why KU doesn't want to continue the Border War; I'm just bummed the Big XII was ever unstable enough to cause any school to want to leave. I think Mizzou fans have the right to want to go, and KU fans have a right to be mad about that.

Damian Glaze 3 years ago

Don't compare Auburn/Alabama and the continuance of our matchup anymore. They are state rivals AND they are still in the same conference. Mizzou has moved on and so should we. How often does Notre Dame play Indiana or Purdue? Rarely. If having a rival is important to KU going forward, we should focus on making the media and the rest of the country embrave a KU/KSU rivalry. KU/Mu on a yearly basis is over. I can't think of one continuous rivalry that involves two teams from different conferences. Let it go and focus on making KU the best it can be in the conference we are in now.

treed14ku 3 years ago

Ummm, Florida-Florida State, Georgia-Georgia Tech, Clemson-South Carolina, etc. disagree with your statement. Don't get me wrong, I don't think we should even consider playing Mizzou again, but don't say that there aren't rivalries being playing between different conferences.

Damian Glaze 3 years ago

All of those are in-state rivalries that benefit the economy within the state. I think that makes a difference.

bradh 3 years ago

And they weren't in the same conference at the start of the rivalry before one of the teams left to join another conference.

railer20 3 years ago

Pretty sure Notre Dame and Purdue play every year

Armen Kurdian 3 years ago

I think that a lot of the people who don't want the rivalry to continue are a lot younger. I've been around for awhile. I want to see it continue. The problem this year is that we had hardly any fans at Arrowhead because our coach stinks, no one was excited about the game, and neither of the schools like the lame idea of playing in Arrowhead.

Rivalries are what make college sports so exciting. I want this to continue. There's history here. Unfortunately, the almighty dollar is driving everything in college athletics these days, taking the fun out of it.

dynamitehawk 3 years ago

fancy80 3 years ago

I nominate this for post of the day....thank you for making me spew Diet Pepsi on my iPad.....still laughing over this one.

fancy80 3 years ago

LJW, I think it was wrong to remove the post about this kids name. That was funny. The comment this kid made about coming over here killing all our people and burning all our buildings...not so funny. Maybe instead of the poster's suggested name of Hoe, maybe the parents should have named this kid Richard...Dick for short.

Jeffery Barrett 3 years ago

Wow! I agree with fancy80! Post of the WEEK!

Ben Kliewer 3 years ago

Wish the rest of us could read it...

meastland 3 years ago

All I keep hearing is that the decision to continue the rivalry is all on KU. My barber made a good point yesterday. When MU is in the SEC with a new crop of schools that they have to schedule every year, whose to say they will even be able to find an open slot to play us? Granted, this is probably more true for football than basketball, but still...

jhox 3 years ago

Very good point and an angle I hadn't thought of. I have a friend who knows parents of several D1 prospects on the Missouri side and he said a couple of the parents have volunteered that MU was no longer their first choice because of travel distances to see their kids play. My friend in fact has a son being recruited by MU in bball and this guy is a lifelong MU fan and he now has reservations about his son going there. He is hoping KU recruits his son, not just for that reason though. He understands KU would give his son much more exposure. His son did attend the KU elite camp so it isn't out of the realm of possibility.

In any event, there is no doubt the SEC move is already hurting MU recruiting on this side of the state not to mention Texas.

Michael Maris 3 years ago

Living here in St. Charles County, I watched T.J. Moe and Carl Gettis play together at Ft. Zumwalt West High. To hear T.J. Moe talk about purchasing a Quantrill Flag and being so proud of having that flag hung in the Mizzou Locker room makes me wonder just how informed T.J. Moe actually is.

Does he even have a clue as to what Quantrill actually believed in?

I wonder how all of the African-American Mizzou Football players feel about Quantrill (or if they even know of Quantrills beliefs?).

Nonetheless, T.J. Moe has let the Kansas Fans know about his ignorance (or his actual beliefs). I wonder if Carl Gettis knows what William Quantrill actually stood for (as well)?

minnhawk84 3 years ago

Hmmmm. Evidently the citizens or Osceola are revisionist historians, or it all depends on which accounts of the Osceola incident you want to believe. General Lane attacked Osceola with 3,000 men and two artillery pieces. The military force was a federalized militia, wearing union uniforms, and performing a tactical operation to seize the supply trains and stores of a Confederate force -- a Confederate force in uniform campaigning in west central Missouri. 3 Osceola men were courtmartialed and shot for being under the employ of the Confederate army. While people in 2012 might find Lane's tactics reprehensible, what Lane did in Missouri was no different than Rebels did elsewhere to union sympathizers.

Contrast this military action with that scumbag, murderous gang who rode with Quantrill to Lawrence. What was the tactical reason for the raid on Lawrence? Where were the military orders from the Confederate Army, where were the uniforms, artillery, and support troops? How many unarmed men and boys were killed for the pure sake of killing?

Dan Pawlowski 3 years ago

Answering facts with emotions refutes nothing.

Dan Pawlowski 3 years ago

...and still not refuting anything.

JayDocMD 3 years ago

I'll post it again for Osceola's sake:

Nobody was shooting at Quantrill when he dragged these senators, judges, doctors, preachers and businessmen out of their beds and murdered them in front of their wives and children.

JayDocMD 3 years ago

Sorry - no camcorders or cell phone videos were available for review. Written first hand accounts are about the best we can ask for. If you have a reference for a differing first hand account publicized somewhere, please do share.

Since the numbers aren't debated by either side, I guess you are questioning the manner in which it was done? Perhaps he was exaggerating. I'm sure Quantrill and his men were very humane and considerate as they:

• burned one hundred and fifty-four businesses and homes to the ground leaving two-thirds of the people homeless.

• watched nearly a hundred widows and two hundred fatherless children wailing in the streets after they had killed one hundred and eighty-five men.

baldwinjhawk 3 years ago

I'm sure his black teammates back him 100% on that slaver flag.. Idiot

troutsee 3 years ago

Good-bye and good riddance. Obnoxious fans. Never want to play them again. Rivalry is one thing. Hatred is another. I had an MU fan stick his drunken face in my face on the way out and shriek an obscenity. Let's just say that I did not let it go unchallenged and let it go at that. They are poor winners and poor losers. I grew up in Missouri and still live in the state but have always disliked there demeanor and their worship of the Dixie flag. They are now where they belong. Never ever want to play them again.

Dan Pawlowski 3 years ago

Thats all you got? We know we suck in FB and you suck in BB . It's been played.

Dan Pawlowski 3 years ago

Your lack of creativity underwhelms me.

Dan Pawlowski 3 years ago

Sorry I should have replied 162-93. Ok now we are back in your one track comfort zone. Getting your ass kicked in BB.

Dan Pawlowski 3 years ago

Sorry 164 -93 , forgot to include last years beat downs.

Dan Pawlowski 3 years ago

Just going along with your one track mind. Wouldn't want to you to get lost by using imagination.

kusully 3 years ago

Are Moe and Jason Sutherland step brothers? Pinkel allows Moe to fly that flag and shoot his mouth off? You stay class Columbia, MO.

jhawkrulz 3 years ago

"We were MAYBE on the wrong side of the deal (then). However, we’re the good guys now,” he added with a smile.

Is he still fighting for the confederates, do they teach history anymore? He does realize that the war was to end slavery, right?

I can't believe his statement.

Randy Bombardier 3 years ago

I guess he means that being a good guy now is leading the effort to destroy the Big12.

Displayhawk 3 years ago

Dan Pawlowski 3 years ago

Hmm a small group of nutjobs vs an entire state of nutjobs.

SaltLakeHawk 3 years ago

Tool:

I haven't heard you respond to a very real question: how do black people at MU feel about your scumbag history?

Dan Pawlowski 3 years ago

Brownback does not speak for the entire state. Lawrence , like many college towns are much more progressive than the surrounding state. Columbia is an exception.

Displayhawk 3 years ago

You talk big, little d. Enjoy it now, because when you repeatedly get beat down by SEC teams from next year on, you will have nothing to talk about but what a mistake you losers made!

jartiv 3 years ago

Hmmm the flag sounds a little over the top, but I think this kid gets it. I for one want the rivalry to continue because he's right. WE need the rivalry.

I was there last night in the student section. It was amazingly awesome.... Mizzou fans were starting stuff with KU fans. One KU girl had shown up with her Mizzou boyfriend and 4 of his friends - they started s**t with the KU crowd, and lets just say she ended up going home with her KU family. Some guys tried to play keep away with my Jayhawk hat in the hall so I shoved a beer in one of their faces. Yes, it all sounds so hateful. But that's what the rivalry is - WE LOVE TO HATE MISSOURI.

I was one of the unfortunate few to sit in the student section last night and it was a surreal moment realizing that this was it. The loss was expected - thanks Gill. Maybe we'll get it started again in 4 - 5 years, but it won't be the same unless we keep it going.

fancy80 3 years ago

1. I would never date anyone from Missouri or anyone that is a fan of Missouri.
  2. I am sad to see the rivalry end, but I honestly don't care if we ever play Misery again.
  3. I actually thought they would try to put 80 pts on us, so I was relieved that the final outcome was not as bad as I expected.
  4. I would have shoved by beer in their face too. Their fans are the worst ever.
  5. I do not blame Mike Anderson for leaving in the middle of the night like he did.
  6. I don't blame Gary Pinkel for hitting the bottle, nor do I blame Quinn Snyder for developing an "alleged" substance abuse problem. I would probably kill myself if I had to surround myself with their fans.
  7. Moe sounds like a jerk. I know he is just a kid, so I will cut him some slack and hope he grows up a little bit.

Displayhawk 3 years ago

How about KU agrees to play MU if they give us all that extra money they are going to make in the SEC??? C'mon MU, put your money where your mouth is!

HottRod 3 years ago

TJ Moe is obviously uneducated but did you expect any thing else? I am okay with the border showdown ending. We need to look toward the future and every year fan behavior seems to get even more toxic over this rivalry. On both the KU and MU side you have idiot fans who take the game too far. I am perfectly happy with Mizzou going to the SEC and losing most of their games and wishing they were back in the Big 12. Mizzou isn't close to being near the top team in the Big 12 so I doubt they will go to the SEC and have the success they think. Lets put them behind us and focus on the NEW big 12 and supporting our athletics.

Dan Pawlowski 3 years ago

Would have been disappointed if you had not revealed your jr. high maturity level.

Dan Pawlowski 3 years ago

Really, figure out the caps lock yet?

Topside 3 years ago

And people in Hell want ice water...who cares what TJ moe wants, I don't. The real "scoreboard", slave lover is that the south lost. If u want the rivalry to continue drive ur jacked up pickup or camaro with confederate flag window graffix up to the ADs office and bitch to them. Enjoy the SEC=epic fail!

Topside 3 years ago

??? We are still in the big twelve, MU tried to flex their mouths, and "muscle", and now they have to leave and be the SECs new prison girlfriend. Tata.... M. U. Your f'n out! -Kenny Powers

Topside 3 years ago

Well Carnac, U seem to be good at trying to predict the future with things that haven't happened and probably won't. Here's a history lesson for u... -MU wins a championship in a sport that counts -Judgement day -me dating January jones

What are three things that have never happened. LoL Tata Missouri go play some banjo and make some moonshine

Dan Pawlowski 3 years ago

Sorry Mangino would only be recognized for a stroke.

SaltLakeHawk 3 years ago

I got hammered with Gary Pinkel last night. He was telling all sorts of racist jokes in honor of MU's proud history.

Dan Pawlowski 3 years ago

LOL. Thats pretty much equivalent to the "I know you are but what am I" argument.

Dan Pawlowski 3 years ago

Good movie but it is not a documentary and you have turned that reference into glue.

CrodieBroyle 3 years ago

danmoore 3 years ago

JayHawkFanToo 3 years ago

JayHawkFanToo 3 years ago

LJW Staff: Why do you remove post from KU posters that are just responding to the the offensive posts from MU trolls? Giving a forum to the comments of the ignorant bigot, T.J. Moe, was a poor decision in the first place.

fancy80 3 years ago

Totally agree. His comments were offensive. Why would LJWorld give this kid his 15 minutes of tool time for that comment about killing all our people and burning our buildings?

kusully 3 years ago

Can you imagine bedtime stories at the Moe's. The SEC is going to roll out the red carpet for his family. You think his dad owns a pointy hat? TJ Moe: Mangna Scum Laude.

Yosemite 3 years ago

It's not a KU drum. There's a Mizzou insignia on the other side of the trophy. The team that wins the game gets to keep the drum till the next game. I guess it's Mizzou's forever.

JhawkalumJB 3 years ago

I'm sure MIZWHO, Missourah, Misery, whatever you wanna call em still wants to play KU. Once they are playing a full SEC schedule the wins are gonna be hard to come by, and KU appears to be a winnable game for the tiggers for the foreseeable future.

I must admit I will enjoy seeing them struggle and bask in mediocrity in the SEC. Good riddance, now just go away already..CHUMPS!!!

Swamphawk 3 years ago

I'd suggest that if they really want to keep the rivalry then make it up to us by coming and playing at our house for the next 10 years or so. I don't see why we should go to play them at there place or any other structure inside the state of Missouri.

CrodieBroyle 3 years ago

tj moe is a stupid confederate p.o.s., he can rot in hell with the rest his bushwhacker brethren

Dan Pawlowski 3 years ago

I'm bored with the inbreds. They represent no challenge to me. I'm out of here.

plogan 3 years ago

We could offer to play missouri in basketball every year....in Allen Field House.

TXBBall55 3 years ago

Mizzou ended with a 1 game edge in football, and KU beat MU to a bloody pulp in basketball. I'll take it! Have fun taking it "Deliverance style" in the SEC.

RCJH!!!

Displayhawk 3 years ago

The way I figure it, KU won the first half, and Miztake won the second half, so we're still tied!

FLJHK 3 years ago

The other rivalries cited: Florida-FSU, Georgia-G. Tech, are among schools that have never been in the same conference. Also, they are schools in the same state so there is an internal economic benefit. Neither of these factors are in consideration in the KU-MU rivalry.

MU chose to end the rivalry by bolting a conference affiliation they had shared for a century. No way we should ever agree to play them again. Only MU would gain, by maintaining a presence in the KC metro area. We cannot allow that.

Good riddance to a foolish and historically underperforming university.

Kristospherein 3 years ago

To H*ll With Mizzou (THWM). You can't have your cake and eat it too. This rivalry is not over but the Border War is dead in the water. Go start a new in conference rivalry with Arkansas...the only team you have even a hint of similarity with in the SEC.

bjejayhawk69 3 years ago

Having grown up in north central Kansas with 5 siblings and many friends that went to KSU the only rivalrly I knew was KU KSU. Now having lived in the KC area for 20 years the KU MU rivalry is huge but primarily in this area. It is big for both schools east of Lawrence and west of Columbia. I have a feeling other areas of both Kansas and Missouri don't care as much about it.

Continuing it only benefits Missouri for fan support and for recruiting presence in the KC area. For KU to continue it would only benefit Misery and therefore why would KU want to continue it. For MU and their state's fearless leader Nixon to say it is KU's issue, well every one can see it simply comes down to - MU is the school leaving. If the rivalry was so important why are you leaving. You are putting $$$$$$$$ over everything. You are the ones screwing your own fan base on many levels.

TJ Moe = idiot. I am sure your African American team mates love what you stand for. Plus his play has regressed this year. Good luck getting open next year in the SEC.

toopelagic 3 years ago

I'm not affiliated with either school but why is KU refusing to play MU? Every sports pundit keeps talking about how KU is acting bitter like a "scorned lover".

I'm in the Big 10 (Northwestern), and have been watching the conference realignments. The Big 12 has been pretty unstable since 2008 when OU started hinting of jumping, which obviously propelled CU and Nebraska to leave. MU left for financial and stability purposes. I'm convinced KU would have done the exact same thing given the opportunity.

Second longest rivalry behind Min and Wisc,...shame to just stop it.

coolhand357 3 years ago

Northwestern??? OU started hinting of jumping in 2008?? That is news to everyone including OU. Thanks for signing up for one day MU troll. How's Pinkel's DUI working out? Not one "sports pundit" has ever said KU is acting bitter like a "scorned lover", only MU trolls. There is no financial need for KU to play mzOO, but there is a financial need for mzOO to play KU. mzOO made their decision, and KU makes theirs. As usual, mzOO has obviously over-rated their swagger... again. They "need" KU for more financial stability and recruiting. KU gains in both by not playing mzOO. It's all about money, which is supposedly the reason mzOO went to the SEC, isn't it? FYI: mzOO started this "re-allignment" by wanting to join the B1G, failed miserably, and is now considered the laughing stock of the NCAA. I see nothing has changed. Champions of Nothing.

Yosemite 3 years ago

I do believe KU is the current laughing stock.

Displayhawk 3 years ago

Poetic justice would be that the Wal-Mart manager is a KU grad when T.J. Moe goes there to apply for a job, and the manager remembers this Quantrill flag business!