Missouri defeats Kansas, 24-10

• 2:30 p.m., Nov. 26, 2011
  • Arrowhead Stadium, Kansas City, MO

Saturday, November 26, 2011

So long: Kansas gives Missouri going-away gift in 24-10 Tigers’ victory

Kansas safety Bradley McDougald (24) talks to senior linebacker Steven Johnson following KU's loss to Missouri on Saturday, Nov. 26, 2011 at Arrowhead Stadium.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Turner Gill

Kansas coach Turner Gill talks to reporters following the Jayhawks' 24-10 loss to Missouri on Nov. 26, 2011.

Download podcast

KU coach Turner Gill press conference

KU coach Turner Gill talks to reporters following the Jayhawks' 24-10 loss to Missouri on Nov. 26, 2011.

— If Saturday’s 24-10 loss to Missouri at Arrowhead Stadium was Turner Gill’s final game in charge of the Kansas University football program, the second-year head coach did not stray far from what people have come to expect.

All of the things that plagued the Jayhawks during Gill’s long and lean two seasons in Lawrence hurt the Jayhawks against the Tigers on Saturday.

Turnovers? Check.

Bad penalties? Check.

Confusion and chaos? Check.

In short, even though the 120th — and possibly last — edition of the Border War battle began with Kansas taking a 10-0 lead, it ended in the same fashion that so many losses before it had.

“It’s disappointing and frustrating,” said Gill, who fell to 5-19 overall at Kansas, 1-16 in Big 12 play. “When an opportunity presents itself, you cannot allow those type of mistakes, whether it’s fourth-and-one, whether it’s third-and-six or whatever it is.”

Early on, it was the Tigers who made the mistakes. Mizzou quarterback James Franklin threw three first-half interceptions and watched as Bradley McDougald returned one of them 57 yards for a touchdown. The fast start gave the Jayhawks, as well as the KU fans in the announced crowd of 47,059, a bit of a spark.

“We felt that our defense played extremely well in the first half,” Gill said.

Unfortunately for Kansas, the rest of the team did not follow suit. The offense, which finished with just 137 yards, three fumbles (one lost) and a 3-for-16 conversion ratio on third down, limped into the locker room at half with a 10-3 lead and the feeling that it should have been larger.

Although the defense’s inspired play in the first half provided a momentary lift, it also may have backfired.

“The only thing I was worried about was keeping guys motivated and not taking the brakes off,” McDougald said. “After we got one pick and another one, and then we got a score on defense, guys were definitely feeling good, but we tried to tone it down. I started seeing too many smiles and joking around, some laughing, some complacency that wasn’t needed at the time.”

Kansas received the opening kickoff of the second half, but failed execution on first and second down prevented offensive coordinator Chuck Long and Gill from digging into their bag of tricks.

“We dropped the ball on the second play, and that put us in long yardage,” Gill said of the slow start to the third quarter. “We had a trick play coming up if we got the first down, but we just never got anything going.”

The Tigers, on the other hand, did, outscoring KU, 14-0, in the third quarter to take a 17-10 lead. Kendial Lawrence scored on a two-yard touchdown plunge after a high snap on a punt attempt by KU set Missouri up with first-and-10 at the Kansas 15-yard line. A couple of possessions later, Franklin hit Wes Kemp for a 25-yard touchdown pass in the back of the end zone.

“We came out lackadaisical for just a split-second in the second half,” senior linebacker Steven Johnson said. “And in that split-second, they just capitalized on it. We did play good. It’s just those two plays I feel like it got away from us. Two plays, mental breakdowns, that’s all it takes to win the game.”

MU’s strong third quarter — somewhat uncharacteristic for a team that had been outscored 68-40 by opponents in the third heading into Saturday — brought KU’s dismal third-quarter numbers to a 145-38 advantage for KU’s opponents.

Missouri padded its lead with 53-yard TD pass from Franklin to Marcus Lucas on the opening play of the fourth quarter, and, although the Jayhawks remained close, they never seriously threatened.

Kansas recorded just 77 yards of offense in the second half, including 28 yards rushing on 24 carries.

“The defense was playing real well, but I think they got tired,” sophomore running back James Sims said. “And that’s on us. As an offense, we have to move the ball. The defense played (all)-out today, and without them, the game could’ve been worse.”

As the two teams sparred their way to an uneventful finish that ended with Mizzou fans filling Arrowhead with chants of “S-E-C, S-E-C” and KU fans screaming angry goodbyes to Gill as he exited the field, the reality of the end of another disappointing season began to sink it.

“It does hurt,” McDougald said. “Seeing guys go out … there’s a lot of tears. It’s an emotional day. It’s the seniors’ last game. Some of those guys in the locker room will never touch a football again. Some of those players who were seniors in there are the most devoted guys I’ve ever met in my life. They haven’t played a snap all year, but they were still in there full of emotions, shedding tears. It’s just an emotional day.”

Added Sims: “It’s tough. The mood in the locker room was down. This is the last game we have against them, and we had a chance to win. As an offense, we just didn’t pull through like we expected to or wanted to.”

As for Gill, whose future at Kansas is uncertain at best, he continued to push the same message after the loss.

“I still believe we can get some things done here and move this program in the right direction and do the things that we need to do,” he said. “That’s obviously to win games, get to bowl games and eventually be able to win championships.”

Asked if he thought he’d get the opportunity to do that, Gill said: “I do. Yes.”

Comments

middleoftheroader 2 years, 11 months ago

I'm thinking Jim Leavitt will be the one getting the opportunity to "...win games, get to bowl games and eventually be able to win championships".

Jeffery Barrett 2 years, 11 months ago

Jim Leavitt will be the next coach at KSU.

kufaninmo 2 years, 11 months ago

well tell you what, i could take it or "Leavitt"! get it? leave it?? yeah, we have fun on here...

KSseahawk 2 years, 11 months ago

Pretty obvious by now that TGill needs to go. What happens if he gets another year? Just sayin...

Dillon Davis 2 years, 11 months ago

Don't even wana think about that. We would lose an unrecoverable amount of money and Zenger would be under so much fire he wouldn't know what to deal with. It's very unlikely Gill stays because things are just soo unfathomably bad right now that an immediate change is absolutely necessary. I don't want Jim Leavitt though, like Keegan said in his article this next coach needs to be big, and we need to pull out all the stops in this next hire because if we get another couple years of this then it will set the program back to where it was before Mangino got here and I don't think any of us want to go back to that.

WilburNether 2 years, 11 months ago

Good riddance, Missouri. There is nothing good that involves Missouri. You will NOT be missed. Don't let the door hit your a** on the way out.

sheahoRn 2 years, 11 months ago

Ok listen. I know everybody would love to hear something from me but the truth is I missed my flight back from Hawaii. And rather than pay for the change fee the chancellor told me to rent a paddle boat and then hitchhike home once I hit land. Which would of been fine if I had paddled east coming out of Hawaii instead of west. I had to do some backtracking.

I'll sit down and watch the tape tonight and make a decision whenever BGL tells me what that decision is. From the looks of things TG is going to get another year. I mean 24-10 is a close game. I imagine we must of played mistake free ball in front of a sold out stadium to keep it that close.

EMAW! Oh...wait...sorry...old habits are hard to break. I mean Rock Chalk.

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 11 months ago

I'm not so sure I'd be so happy. In fact, I would have preferred a different outcome.

Vincent Patterson 2 years, 11 months ago

How in the world do you come out lax in the second half Stevie? This is the Border Showdown! Did the "Now, let's go out there and continue to be well-behaved gentlemen" halftime speech by Coach Gill not get you fired up enough?

Seriously though, good year Stevie even though the team was awful. Good luck at the next level. You'll be successful man.

I don't know if you can hear her in Lawrence, but the fat lady is singing like a Mofo out here in Johnson County! Loud and Clear! Gill is gone! Compliments of A & M and Misery's exit fees! C-ya!

gongs4ku 2 years, 11 months ago

Two years really isn't long enough to develop a program, but at the same time, if you compare Turner Gill's record after two seasons to three other coaches who came into similar situations--Bill Snyder, Paul Rhoades, Mark Mangino--he does not come out looking like a very good football coach. Two of the three made bowls in their second year, and all of them won a lot more games... In short, cya Turner, we all hope for the best for you in your career elsewhere.

boknowssports 2 years, 11 months ago

Turner Gill does not belong in a BCS conference. After two years he has shown that he could only win one conference game, what is that 1-19? That is simply horrible and his team even did worse this year compared to last, so this is all on him. Stop the Mangino bashing. Gill proved at Buffalo he would have losing seasons (all but one) and he is doing that here just fine. Championships???How about wins coach? He is losing fans, recruits are de-comitting, our football program has become the joke of sports programs across America. KU will be lucky to g0 3-9 next year if we keep him. Watch his in-game coaching, his pre-game planning, his pathetic press conferences, this guy has no clue how to turn around this mess HE has made worse!~

Chayse Patrick 2 years, 11 months ago

as good as the big 12 is and will continue to be with TCU and West Va, coming in I really doubt if Gill would ever get us to a bowl...& winning Championships??? OMG what is Gill smoking??????

KGphoto 2 years, 11 months ago

Gill's mistake in not leaving Matthews in for the entire 4th quarter was inexcusable. Webb was sucking the life out of the team and CM was pumping them back up when he was in. As far as I'm concerned this was Gill's biggest mistake of the year. We should have been running the style of offense that Matthews and Cummings seem so perfect to run, and that has been working so well in college recently. But to not recognize the damage Webb was inflicting on the team, that Matthews was making great decisions, and that the team could've won that game with #12 in there, it just blows my mind. Minus big points for Gill on that one, and if he sticks with Webb for any reason to start next season, I'll be off the Gill wagon.. Yeah, I said it.

However, we have the tools to make the switch to that option attack next year, and I think the rest of the team played well enough to warrant another year to see if Gill can make the adjustment from this year to next year, that he wouldn't make from half to half this season. I saw plenty of reasons to believe that with a leader at QB for KU, they could've easily won four more games this year. Iowa St., Baylor, Texas Tech, Missouri. That would've put us at 6-6 and in a bowl!

Obviously the defense struggled but the circumstances where unbelievable, between the coaching change, scheme change and schedule. Next year with a new coordinator, a little familiarity with the scheme and leadership of McDougald, they should at least be more consistent.

KSseahawk 2 years, 11 months ago

I asked you at the end of last season what Gill has done to deserve a second season. Please tell me what you saw this year after another winless conference season and constant regression that he deserves another year.

I'm sorry...I'm sure you're a great KU fan...but you've completely lost your mind. Even if TGill can recruit...he can't coach them or motivate them or get them to play an entire game.

Displayhawk 2 years, 11 months ago

If they do keep HCTG, then they need to make some sweeping changes on the staff, beginning with Defensive Coordinator. Vic Shealy is not the answer!
KU really screwed up when they fired Chris Dawson as Strength and Conditioning Coach and let him go to train the kitties down I-70. I still say he was a very big reason for the Orange Bowl season. Everyone keeps saying that David Beatty is a great receivers coach, but how many times did we have a false start on a receiver this year (Including last night.)??? You look in and go when the ball is snapped! I learned that in junior high school football, but apparently it's too complex for our receivers. It just seems as though KU's players weren't progressing, and that comes down to coaching.

KGphoto 2 years, 11 months ago

I really think some of that actually comes down to inconsistent, and even terrible play from the QB. You have to have rhythm on offense and Webb doesn't have it. It affects everything else the offense does, including but not limited to offsides penalties and dropped passes. When the QB is not leading the team, it jumbles everything up.

I said at the beginning of the year, that we'd be in trouble if one of our captains wasn't the QB, and it killed us.

mjhawkchalk 2 years, 11 months ago

We need to fire Vic Shealy. Hire Tom Bradley. And bench Jordan Webb.

KU_Alumn_2000 2 years, 11 months ago

McDougald saying that he saw too many smiles and guys playing grab ass after the first half performance. That wouldn't happen under a coach that teaches players how to focus on the task at hand until its complete.

That AJ Stewart penalty killed us...and showed that these kids have no self discipline when it comes to focus and concentration. I really like Coach Gill as a person...but Perkins must of had no idea how incompetent he was as a football coach.

irvan moore 2 years, 11 months ago

it's not the assistant coaches that are the problem, they work for tg and he is responsible. hopefully bgl will give zenger the ok to fire gill

manginodrh00lz 2 years, 11 months ago

Alright Pinkel...put down the wine and the computer. No more illegible posts from you. Sober up man.

jayhawk02 2 years, 11 months ago

I am with you 100% KGPhoto. I, too, have been saying a head coach needs at least 3 years to get his recruits and systems going. However, I can't, for the life of me, figure out why he kept putting Webb back in there during the 2nd half. Matthews was moving the offense. With him in the game, they had to key on both him and the RB. With Webb, it was key on the RB, because he sure as heck couldn't throw down the field. Oh well, the coaches had some reason I'm sure, but I couldn't figure it out.

irvan moore 2 years, 11 months ago

yeah, the coaches could't figure it out either

gardenjay 2 years, 11 months ago

Well, I was wrong pretty much all season, and I admit it. Go ahead and plaster me with your i-told-you-so's. Any positive attitude approach to KU F-ball will have to wait until next season now.

I thought the seniors had some really good moments, and still found a lot of great plays to be thankful for. We have a great freshman class, that's a positive and thanks to HCTG for that recruiting ability. He may get a shot at coaching next year, and if so, please work hard on the recruiting trail again TG.

Rock chalk, and remember our vaunted semi-pro basketball team has some losses now as well. Boo hoo.