Sunday, November 6, 2011

KU’s Self not fretting over Missouri’s decision to leave Big 12 for SEC

'Majority of Kansas fans don't give a flip about playing Missouri,' Jayhawk basketball coach states

Kansas University basketball coach Bill Self will not lose any sleep in coming days, weeks and months over Missouri bolting the Big 12 Conference for the SEC.

“I think everybody hoped that Missouri would stay, but I don’t know of any Kansas fans that are crying over them leaving,” Self told the Journal-World on Sunday night, following the announcement that the Tigers had bid the Big 12 farewell.

Self was asked if the Jayhawks and Tigers would play again in men’s basketball.

“We will play them two more times — we’ve got them home and away this year,” Self stated.

What about perhaps scheduling the Tigers down the line?

“Like I said before, we have absolutely no obligation whatsoever to play Missouri in basketball. None,” Self said. “If we do so, it will only be done because it’s best for Kansas, not done because anybody else wants us to. We couldn’t care less what Missouri wants. If in fact they want to play us, it will be strictly determined if we want to. It will not be determined by other people, because I’ll be honest, the majority of Kansas fans don’t give a flip about playing Missouri.”

KU athletic director Sheahon Zenger and Chancellor Bernadette Gray-Little issued statements Sunday. Zenger said: “This news doesn’t surprise us. We wish Missouri all the best in the future. The University of Kansas can now focus on TCU, West Virginia University and the other members of the Big 12 Conference who choose to be with us.”

Gray-Little said: “We’re sorry to see a century-old conference rivalry end. Missouri’s decision may have implications for fans and for the Kansas City area, but it won’t affect the long-term strength of the Big 12.”

Comments

REHawk 2 years, 5 months ago

Thanks, lighthawk, for the classic personal revelation. Sounds like a decision with no regrets.

wavinghawk 2 years, 5 months ago

Why would we waste a game playing "them" Let's go play and beat some real big boys like Duke, Kentucky, OSU, Gtown, Zona or Uconn then maybe we'll stop losing out on our top recruits.

Woody Cragg 2 years, 5 months ago

He's right...not even a flip of the "jaybird". But never ever forget, Muck Fizzou, always!

jaybate 2 years, 5 months ago

The irony is the Big 12 actually will be better off with TCU than with TAM, and better off with Louisville, than with MU.

TCU can compete for titles and BCS championships. TAM could not.

Louisville is a true basketball school. MU was neither a basketball school, nor a football school.

The only ones that may suffer from MU leaving are the Super Corridor right of way folks. But if they are not complaining, then they must not have needed MU after all.

Steve Brown 2 years, 5 months ago

My first game in AFH. Half centruy ago before cable TV, ESPN, Ipads or cell phones, M Ali was champ and Bart Starr and the Packers won super bowl I.

One a snowy night our attny. neighbor had AFH season tickets and owed my folks a favor. So they put me in the car and drove 90 minutes to Lawrence. The fieldhouse held more people than lived in our small one-stop light town by three fold. . We sat in row 3 on the line right across from 'sit down Norm'. Jo Jo and the boys spanked a very good MU team. A very good Tiger team.

I returned home informed my folks I would not accept the free ride scholarship I had been offered at that nice private liberal arts school as my college days were going to be spent in the barn.

RCJHJGKU

dynamitehawk 2 years, 5 months ago

Here's how the post Mizzou acceptance SEC divisional line-up discussion went:

Alabama: We don't wanna lose our game with Auburn! Auburn: Yeah! Wuuut she said!

Kentucky: We got whiskey; they got meth! That's wut we call breakfast in Lexington! Arkansas: Hoooooooeeeeeeeee!

Vanderbilt: We ain't gettin' kicked out are we??!? LSU: Neaux.

Florida: We'll takem' in the East ... I heard they luuuuv playin' with the Cocks. Tennesse: We luuuv playin' with the Cocks, too!

Mizzou to the East. Will be pounded by South Carolina Cocks 4 times a year.

Dynamite = :^)

PVJayhawk 2 years, 5 months ago

I'm true to my word and am returned.

There are those among you who are perhaps aware that I do not view mu with a friendly eye, so you may understand the genesis of the following.

I have heard (he was before my time) that norm stewart was not a gentleman and had no class or ethics. In a nutshell then, he was a low-class, dishonest scumbag. On the brighter side though, that made him a perfect fit for mu and explains why he was venerated there.

BOTTOM LINE: The kind of people who would admire n.s. are the kind of people with whom KU should not associate. So I say their departure is a blessing.

......................................................................

ps Having said all that, I must add that while I usually refer to mu people as neotenous miscreants (or worse), I suppose some of them are actually ok and nearly human. I know, I know, most of you will say there is little evidence in favor of this notion, but I still hold this view or at least consider it possible.

.....................................................................

pps Jaybate: How well you know me! I did (as you guessed/predicted/suggested) spend part of that time in a French convent (though neither nun nor Catholic) and didn't touch a computer for about 2 months.

I am afraid I was not able to see the monastery at Novy Dvur* but the photos suggest a place that repels human life like wax repels water. Would Ruskin like it?? It does not seem to have all seven lamps and if he loved the Doge's Palace (I was in it very recently) would he like the monastery? I doubt it. You are right-one must see it in person.

*I DID however visit the grave (among many many others) of a fellow you may have heard of. He went by the name of Albert Camus.

How absurd is that?

Steve Gantz 2 years, 5 months ago

I'm going to miss the annual battles. KU needs to schedule them. Why wouldn't they? I, as many here have pointed out, disagree with Coach Self. A lot of us don't want to see this great rivalry go by the wayside.

On the other hand, maybe it spices up the K-State rivalry more because that will be the only rivalry game we've got.

Steve Brown 2 years, 5 months ago

He$$ just froze over as now I get to root for Ky Wildcats Calipari twice a year.

I will follow HCBS directives yet would prefer to play them as when we play them we get the chance to beat them. I will miss those days.

BC5 2 years, 5 months ago

Good riddance Mizzou. KU gains nothing by playing the Tigers in hoops. We beat them all the time and whenever Mizzou gets lucky and wins one here or there, they are annoying and celebrate like they won the national title. Their fans have a severe inferiority complex and West Virginia will provide better competition in all sports. I am so glad Mizzou is gone, and can't wait to laugh at them in the SEC.

And just for old times sake, the Tigers still get to roll into an arena name after a Jayhawk and get their butt kicked. Thank you Rupp Arena

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 5 months ago

How about doubling Self's salary and letting him coach the football team also?

Bellator 2 years, 5 months ago

Bill Self for federal reserve chairman!

Sally Presson 2 years, 5 months ago

Not gonna lie--don't care they are leaving, don't care we're never playing them again, don't care, don't care.

Jayhawk444 2 years, 5 months ago

More really funny stuff on the Internet - from Sports Illustrated "Tigers-Tide represented everything great about SEC; Missouri move is opposite

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/stewart_mandel/11/06/sec-lsu-alabama-missouri/index.html#ixzz1d35B6xO0

rockchalk80 2 years, 5 months ago

I did give a flip - but they're gone... and if we ever decided to schedule an SEC team annually - it wouldn't be Mizzou, but it should be Kentucky.

Ben Kliewer 2 years, 5 months ago

I think Self is right. We did give a flip about playing Missouri until they chose to leave the conference and the rivalry behind. If they can walk away from over a century of rivalry like that, we can leave it behind just as easily. No skin off our back. We're not going to cry about it. But I have a feeling that the Jayhawk/Mildcat rivalry might pick up some more steam...which I'm not too sure about. I have a lot of friends who went through Manhattan and I always liked deflecting a lot of rivalry energy away from KSU towards Mizzou. Plus, I'll always take a team representing the Great State (of Kansas) over somebody else. But I always liked watching Mizzou get beat by anybody...unless we had already beat them, then I liked seeing them win because it mad us look better...I dunno...

wtarush 2 years, 5 months ago

I only have questions: ...antlers??? Where in the world did that come from? Is there a distinct form of tigger that was bone-headed? Does (add your own derogatory name for our wash-machine-on-the-front-porch neighbors) have a secondary mascot of a reigndeer like we have Baby Jay? Are they a secret society focused on being bone-heads? Sounds like a bunch of naysayers that flunked out of the cubscouts and hold a grudge against...everything.

The whole thing about the antlers reminds me of K-State...searching for an identity like grade school softball players looking for a difinitive cheer in the dugout... "octagon of doom" (what a joke!!!)... "emaw"??? Makes me ashamed they have "Kansas" in their school monicher.

Missouri=quitters... plain and simple. Glad to see them leave. Now we can get another school in the Big XII with some class and history they can actually be proud of...

danmoore 2 years, 5 months ago

Oklahoma doesn't play Nebraska anymore. Can't see playing Missouri after this year.

FreddyinLA 2 years, 5 months ago

I remember a “Sit Down Norm” chant in AFH that got so loud the old man had to sit down because it was becoming bigger than the game itself.

I remember the cap guns going off when Stipanovich was introduced.

I remember my friend being sprayed by mace while helping tear down a goal post after upsetting a good Missouri team.

I remember more buzz on campus during the weeks we played Mizzou.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 5 months ago

Interesting that the polls have the Hawks as high as 11th in the preseason polls but Rivals.com has us as the lowest NCAA 5th seed along with Alabama, Gonzaga and Cincinnati!!

Which will it be?

I think it will be opposite...we will quickly drop after several early losses, then gradually rise as we jell as a team!!

Comments please.

Robert Brown 2 years, 5 months ago

This is why it's good to keep your mouth shut. The statements coming from KU representatives just sound petty and childish. I love Bill Self but he should just keep his mouth shut. I care about the rivalry and I know I am in the majority.

There is absolutely NO reason for KU not to play MU in KC every year. There is plenty of scheduling flexibility. Football is a different story. I don't think we can trade playing a division 1-AA school for a competitive opponent like MU.

The chancellor and AD comments were also petty. A simple- "We are sorry to see MU leave" would have sufficed.

phi4life940 2 years, 5 months ago

Going to be fun seeing Mizzery get crushed in the SEC.

I hope we win both games this year in basketball (and hopefully the impossible longshot of winning the football game in KC).

I couldn't care less. Mizzery dug their own hole in this mess.

I love Bill Self.

Rock Chalk, and Muck Fizzou til the day I die.

tolawdjk 2 years, 5 months ago

Until just recently, I would say the TCU/AM swap was a wash in bball and the MIzzou/WV is a definate improvement interms of basketball quality.

The important thing is that I don't have to stop hating Mizzou and everything they stand for just because we won't be playing them. They just join the "Duke" club of teams you can't like for any reason, no matter who they are playing.

boknowssports 2 years, 5 months ago

Self has the backbone to say what needs to be said. We are KU. We dictate our own course. If it makes us money or helps recruiting in some way to play Mizzou, then okay. If we could use that date to improve our program with a game somewhere else against another team, so be it! We need more coaches and administrators like Self, not all the PC stuff the other wimps at KU put out.

Gregor Southard 2 years, 5 months ago

Coach Self rocks! MU is irrelevant

William Blake 2 years, 5 months ago

I will miss using all the "toilet language" I used to truthfully describe Mizzou. My KU alum girlfriend describes my Mo comments as "gross."

My Mizzery rants have been my preventive treatment from colon cancer... helping rid my body of excrement. Now I'll have to find a new dumping place...

So, in the end, my girlfriend and my compost pile are thankful Mizzery is gone.

Jayhawk444 2 years, 5 months ago

A most excellent quote from ESPN.com - "But there's a reason that they call the trustees of the University of Missouri "curators." They are the people who work at museums, which is the only place you'll find a Tiger trophy in football for the foreseeable future."

Jayhawk444 2 years, 5 months ago

I would have added one more word. "the majority of Kansas fans don't give a flip about playing Missouri NOW" The fact is - if somebody is your most hated rival, you DO care about playing them. But if they choose to leave that rivalry, then we will no longer care. While I loved the great old rivalry with them and certainly did give a flip, I now don't care at all. They ruined a good thing.

Matt1958 2 years, 5 months ago

I was at the Misery game last year. When Tyrel hit that 3 to put us at 100, I thought the dadgum roof was going to come off. I admit, I will miss thumping them every year. But, we still have KSU to kick around.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 5 months ago

The Ten Top Reasons I care:

10] Living in Missouri, it has been great fun to throw an almost uncountable number of basketball victories in their faces.

9] When they come back at me about football, I just say two words, "Orange Bowl", then sit back and watch their heads explode [Actually, I'll still be able to do that!!]

8] Going to miss the almost guaranteed 2 or 3 victories every basketball season and throw in CU and NU and that's 6 to 9 victories a year we'll miss.

7] Going to Homecoming tailgates with my in-laws, incognito, and spitting on everything on campus when no one is looking.

6] Watching them spin in the win as conference after conference said " no thanks."

5] Watching them go on probation for NCAA violations at every level.

4] Reminding them that would have lost the Civil War if they had been given a chance to choose for themselves.

3] I will be hard-pressed to find a replacement state with the same number of meth labs and puppy farms.

2] Miss watching Norm Stewart sail into the sunset.

and the number one reason is...drumroll....

1] " You coulda had Bill Self, but ya took Quinn Snyder!!!!!!!!!

Steve Hillyer 2 years, 5 months ago

I wish the KU "powers" would just keep quiet, we're coming off sounding like a bunch of immature whiney crybabies.

Kent Wells 2 years, 5 months ago

I couldn't give a sh!t about Missouri right now. I've got 9 schools in that conference that I love.

kureignman 2 years, 5 months ago

The only way that Bill Self could have said it better:

BS: The majority of KU fans don't give a Mizzou about Missouri. Reporter: Uh did you just say "Mizzou"? BS: Yeah you know, a deuce, a number 2, a dump, a Mizzou.

irish2255 2 years, 5 months ago

I agree with coach. I don't give a flip about playing missouri. Now when we did play them I wanted to kick their teeth in. Could care less if we ever play them again. I'm sure the seeding committee will try to have us in a 1 vs 8 matchup in future tourneys.

Shawn Otrimble 2 years, 5 months ago

As Mizzou retreats back to the "slave states", I have to say I'm concerned about the Big 12 and Kansas basketball. I believe the Big 12 should Louisville, Cincy, and BYU while we can. Also we should get rid of Gill and hire Leach so we can turn the football program around so that if all Hell breaks loose in 6 years. Our football program will at least be competitive, and we would have a chance of joining the Big 10 or ACC. (I hope the Big 12 can stay together now but we must prepare for the worst so we will not be left out to join a Missouri Valley/Sun belt type league. (which would extremely hurt the Kansas Basketball tradition.)

REHawk 2 years, 5 months ago

If the rivalry ever resumes, games are to be played at The Phog only. Tigers receive a share of the gate and media revenue similar to the cut which Fort Hayes will get tomorrow night.
Or, if the rivalry ever is renewed at the Sprint Center, Kansas agrees to a 75% share of all revenues. I like Bill Self's take on the situation. Let's blast 'em out of their own storied facility in early February.

Laura Wilson 2 years, 5 months ago

For me the basketball rivalry was much more of a big deal when Stewart was coach. Since then, for one, Missouri hasn't been anywhere near the kind of team they were under him (in both dirty play and higher quality play), and secondly the coaches since haven't been as easy to despise. Yes, their Antlers are still nasty, but playing bball against them just hasn't been as much of a deal.

Now I will miss the football rivalry, but without Fambrough it's already diminished. It would be great for a completely new KU team to show up in a few weeks and stomp on the Tigers at Arrowhead one last time, but I'm not holding my breath.

canson 2 years, 5 months ago

PLEZ no more TV sports programs of Missouri High School, Mizzery-U or other Missouri schools. Give us Big12 area Sports on TV in Western Kansas. I have turned anything off on my TV concerning Missouri since the days of Norm a-hole Stewart!!!!!

jaymar74 2 years, 5 months ago

If I had zero final fours and my most hated rival had 13 final fours, I would turn tail and run also.

hawksince51 2 years, 5 months ago

I have followed the KU vs. MU football rivalry since 1951. I was in Columbia when we knocked them out of number 1 in 1960 with all their students and fans wearing the infamous AHAB buttons. I watched on TV when they retaliated by mobbing our b-ball team at the 1961 game in Columbia. When I was at KU and later when I lived in KC, the KU v. MU games were the biggest on the schedule. All that said, I agree with Self and hope we do not play these defectors in any sport unless it happens to be in the NCAAs.

Konkis Dongington III 2 years, 5 months ago

Whether or not KU fans really do care about playing Mizzou (I for one would like to keep that tradition alive in some fashion), Self took the right tact in his comment. If he was conciliatory in any way, then the university loses any power they have when negotiating any kind of deal that would create a non-conf series or an annual rivalry game. Now Mizzou has to come hat in hand if they think it's in their best interest to continue the rivalry. My guess is, on the whole, both universities as well as KC would like to keep it up because the Border Wars games sell a lot of tickets and fuel a lot of alumni activity. Still, since we're the jilted party in this toxic relationship, it behooves us to take the 'better off without you' approach if we want to have any kind of hand moving forward.

Marcus Duncan 2 years, 5 months ago

How many time did Mizzery state, "We are committed to the Big XII?" Over and over when it was rumered they were going to the Big 10. Wher is your committment now?!?! Someone dangles a little $$$ in front of your face and see what happens. . . What commitment??? You are about as loyal and trustworthy as Coach Crookipari saying "I've never done anything wrong at any of the schools I've ever coached at"!!! YEAH RIGHT. You're both a JOKE, and have no CLASS.

Robert Brock 2 years, 5 months ago

Missouri couldn't care less about continuing the rivalry - they voted with their feet. Don't reward these people.

tecuani 2 years, 5 months ago

Finally, that yellow kitty cat who found the Sharpie is gone and tried to be a tiger is gone.

Yay!

shottybotch 2 years, 5 months ago

I guess we should not be surprised Missouri split off and joined the south...

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 5 months ago

Mark ahperse down and his closet full of Muck Fizzou shirts down as kind of caring. A rivalry with roots in the civil war is kind of a big deal.

However if we were in Mizzou's shoes (which we would have been had we not hired Gill) we would have jumped ship if the opportunity presented it's self. Give it a couple of years for things to cool down and then set up some of neutral site game. How about ku/MU and UT/aTm at Jerrys palace every year?

Timmay97 2 years, 5 months ago

Missouri mind as well get used to that 2-10 football record year in and year out. SEC plays a much bigger defensive style in football.....more hurtful than the Big 12. Alabama and LSU proved that this past Saturday night. MIzzou WILL NOT be able to compete in football in that conference.

I actually think they will do better in BBall. Kentucky will roll them over along with Florida....but it's only those two teams that are above and beyond everyone in the conference. It's very similar to KU and Texas being above everyone in the Big 12.

Either way......I'm one not to lose sleep over Mizzou...reason being.....K-State didn't go anywhere. It will just heat things up even more with them.

iamakufan 2 years, 5 months ago

In my opinion HCBS nailed it.

kushaw 2 years, 5 months ago

So, we have a, "I don't give a sh#$ about UNC" from Roy Williams in 2003 and we have a, "Most Jayhawk fans don't give a flip about playing Mizzou" from Bill Self 2011. I sure wish somebody would have caught Self saying fu#$!

Ben Kane 2 years, 5 months ago

the big winner here is the small businesses in Lawrence that will now get one extra home game of sales that Lew took away from them.

lmateo1 2 years, 5 months ago

Well said Self! You aren't going to make a name off of us with a lucky win when you think you are too good to be in our conference. Playing us for hype instead of tradition is bull. Enjoy your slow death on the southern coast.

jaybate 2 years, 5 months ago

Heeeeeeeeere comes....

Louisville. Pitt. Rutgers. Syracuse. Maryland. Boise State. WVU and a school to be named later.

s6u6r6f 2 years, 5 months ago

The lowly tigers slink away. Good riddance indeed. Rock chalk.

jaybate 2 years, 5 months ago

BGL-B12 $trong.

Zenger-Wish'em well.

Self-KU fans don't give a flip about MU.

jaybate-acute regime change coming to the Fizzouri state oligarchy?

JRock-?

Jayhawks Rock 2 years, 5 months ago

I will enjoy watching them get their a$$ kicked in the SEC as well.

Alohahawk 2 years, 5 months ago

Hurrah for HCBS. Most, if not all, of KU's fans are not crying over Mizzery's exit to hillbilly heaven in the South. Unless it's to weep for joy. And maybe that remark shows that Self, or somebody on his staff, has been paying some attention to the remarks expressed on this and other KU boards.

By the way. You're wording was very close, but not quite accurate, coach. KU's fans would love to "flip Mizzery the bird".

This gives KU all the more reason to win their final two match-ups versus the Missery pu**ies this season. Let's go out in style, Hawks!!!

stm62 2 years, 5 months ago

It was great fun hating Missouri. I'll miss the rivalry. But, like my father says it's : "good riddance to bad rubbish".

Hank Cross 2 years, 5 months ago

"I’ll be honest, the majority of Kansas fans don’t give a flip about playing Missouri.” What is honest about that statement? Compare how many t-shirts are printed up with variations of the "Muck Fizzou" theme and how many mock ISU, TT, OSU, etc.

There was absolutely no reason for the tone of those comments. MU got off of Bevo's ranch, good for them.

dchon 2 years, 5 months ago

Personally, I couldn't care less about Mizzery leaving the B12. Although, if we received an offer from the B1G, would we have done anything less different? I also think Bill should have re-worded his statement regarding that the majority of KU fans don't give a flip. It seems disrespectful to the fans that do care and disrespectful to the best hundred year rivalry in the country, especially making such a statement couple months after the passing of KU Coach legend Fambrough. With that being said, I do support Bill's decision that we should play Mizzery on our terms. Mizzery acts as though everything is ho-hum pie and wants everything to go their way. There are consequences to every action. So, Mizzery, just pay your damn exit fees and stop acting like we're friends because we're not.

DrRustinMcGillicuddy 2 years, 5 months ago

The IQ of both conferences will increase with their departure. They don't have to be part of the Big 12 for me to despise them, I can hate them just as much in the SEC; just don't go spending all of that sweet, sweet cash on any trophy cases.

manginorh00lz 2 years, 5 months ago

Bill Self is gone in 3 years anyway. Of course he doesn't care.

Stephan123 2 years, 5 months ago

KU is big time. MU is a want to be.

SinoHawk 2 years, 5 months ago

I love that HCBS is a representative of KU. He says it like it is.

It is a shame that MU wants to flee the conference, but I suppose that it is just confirmation that they have, in fact, LOST the Border War. Just like with Nebraska, it is a shame to lose more than a century of tradition, but such is life.

Pitthawk34 2 years, 5 months ago

I think there was a lot of things done behind the scenes that we will never know about that ticked off the big 12 about Missouri.

tbbucboy21 2 years, 5 months ago