Sunday, November 6, 2011

KU’s Self not fretting over Missouri’s decision to leave Big 12 for SEC

'Majority of Kansas fans don't give a flip about playing Missouri,' Jayhawk basketball coach states

Kansas University basketball coach Bill Self will not lose any sleep in coming days, weeks and months over Missouri bolting the Big 12 Conference for the SEC.

“I think everybody hoped that Missouri would stay, but I don’t know of any Kansas fans that are crying over them leaving,” Self told the Journal-World on Sunday night, following the announcement that the Tigers had bid the Big 12 farewell.

Self was asked if the Jayhawks and Tigers would play again in men’s basketball.

“We will play them two more times — we’ve got them home and away this year,” Self stated.

What about perhaps scheduling the Tigers down the line?

“Like I said before, we have absolutely no obligation whatsoever to play Missouri in basketball. None,” Self said. “If we do so, it will only be done because it’s best for Kansas, not done because anybody else wants us to. We couldn’t care less what Missouri wants. If in fact they want to play us, it will be strictly determined if we want to. It will not be determined by other people, because I’ll be honest, the majority of Kansas fans don’t give a flip about playing Missouri.”

KU athletic director Sheahon Zenger and Chancellor Bernadette Gray-Little issued statements Sunday. Zenger said: “This news doesn’t surprise us. We wish Missouri all the best in the future. The University of Kansas can now focus on TCU, West Virginia University and the other members of the Big 12 Conference who choose to be with us.”

Gray-Little said: “We’re sorry to see a century-old conference rivalry end. Missouri’s decision may have implications for fans and for the Kansas City area, but it won’t affect the long-term strength of the Big 12.”

Comments

Ron Yates 2 years, 8 months ago

It's too bad that such an old rivalry---the oldest west of the Mississippi--is ending. But if only one school sees value in it, then so be it. Missouri is making a huge mistake leaving the Big-12. MU's president/chancellor is clueless about the border war between KU and MU. Kansas City will definitely suffer from MU's absence. But after all is said and done, I have to say "Good Riddance." If all MU cares about is the $$ (and that is the case) then why retain them in the Big-12? They will sink in the SEC. No way they can out-recruit Alabama, LSU, etc.So, Sayonara, chumps!

AndOne 2 years, 8 months ago

"SEC is headed for downward slide" http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/stewart_mandel/11/06/sec-lsu-alabama-missouri/index.html "the decision that will mark the beginning of the end of the SEC as we know it"

phoggydrive 2 years, 8 months ago

No, he's correct. Most don't care about Mizzou anymore. They left the conference. We were on their schedule every year that way. They choose to leave and break that rivalry, not us. They can't have one's cake and eat it too.

FELONY 2 years, 8 months ago

He didn't say all KU fans "don't give a flip", just the majority. Do you care that KU won't schedule MU again? They left the conference, they can get their payback in the SEC.

droppinplates 2 years, 8 months ago

MU left the conference. No KU fans are going to lose sleep over it. I don't know any KU fans that give a @#$% about not playing them anymore.

Mel Clare 2 years, 8 months ago

Dude....that was at the beginning of the Civil War! I dont know about you but I was not around then...................misery will just go to the SEC and get pounded down there...........Lets not forget we get a chance to play West Virginia and Huggins each and every year now.......i think it is a good replacement........now for Louisville, Cincinnati and BYU.........

ku_foaf 2 years, 8 months ago

I sure don't care if we ever play their mediocre program again.

It's a personal thing, but The Civil War references get old. I never heard these mentioned constantly until 2007. If you are a Kansas native, it is very likely your ancestors lived in Missouri before moving to Kansas. This is just history. It is a fair chance that is where they were during the Civil War.

dnvrhawk 2 years, 8 months ago

Speak for yourself. I certainly don't see it.

addlime 2 years, 8 months ago

I agree! Bill Self is wrong! If you've been a Jayhawk fan for more than 10 or 20 years, you care deeply. We love to hate Misery! Just thinking about Norm Stewart pisses me off to this day. Lately, MU has sucked so bad I think we've lost perspective. However, this was one of the greatest rivalries in all of college basketball, and I for one will miss it!

brooksmd 2 years, 8 months ago

Exactly, it "was" one of the greatest rivalries. Fizzou treasures money over the rivalry, so adios, syronara, aloha... Personally, living down here in Louisiana, I look forward to the thrashing LSU will put on Fizzou. They should be scheduled early in the year as a warm-up for real SEC football.

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 8 months ago

I'm with Self on this... I'm tired of the the Antlers and all the negativity.

Rivalries are meant to bring out the athletic best in sports and fan pride in bragging rights. With Missouri, it was always at another level...and often crossed the line of sportsmanship.

This was their decision..I guess Nebraska being chosen over Missouri by the Big 10 injured their pride so much they felt they needed to move.

So..let's add two more good gets like TCU and WVA and the conference will come out of this better than before.

Maracas 2 years, 8 months ago

Count me among those who don't care to play Missouri ever again. My friends and co-workers are nearly unanimous in the same feeling. So no, the majority of KU fans do not care about playing Missouri again. The rivalry is dead. Missouri shot and killed it.

MorganR 2 years, 8 months ago

You're right - coach Self's statement was an accurate reflection of many. Some of us, however, are more than ambivalent (giving a flip). Some of us would strongly prefer KU not play Missouri for the next several years because it has not always been a healthy rivalry.

Thanks coach Selt is taking that position and articulating the feelings of many KU fans.

Vernon Riggs 2 years, 8 months ago

I would rather play the an all-star team from Al Qaeda than play Mizzou again. And if that Al Qaeda team ever played Mizzou, I would wear my Bin Laden jersey that day.

Matt Bowers 2 years, 8 months ago

I myself "give a flip." I think that KU should be the bigger person here and continue to schedule with Mizzou in both football and basketball. Hold the basketball games in the Sprint Center, it will keep the rivalry going and will help the KC economy. Who knows, maybe KU and MU can do a home and Sprint Center series every year in basketball...that would be nice. Continue to play the football game at Arrowhead as well.

jhwkfan, I'm not picking but it is "Bleeding Kansas," but most importantly, you are correct about KU and MU continuing to fight the battle through sports.

Who thinks it would have been great to see MU and WVU play football games? Think about how those fan bases would have reacted to each other...guess we'll never know.

Rock Chalk

droppinplates 2 years, 8 months ago

Why would Kansas fans be worried about playing games in Missouri if they aren't in Columbia? I'd rather have a home game against Missouri in Memorial Stadium or Allen Fieldhouse than somewhere in Missouri!

rhollinshed 2 years, 8 months ago

If you care so much....maybe you should just go with them?!?! I don't give a damn about playing MU. It is not important. I agree with BGL and Bill Self. If they leave, we will only play if it benefits us. Play at Sprint center with ALL of the profits going to KU, I'll go with that, other wise Muck Fizzou and anyone else that feels differently!

rhollinshed 2 years, 8 months ago

KU...Strong....I am questioning your allegence. Not only has KU been the Bigger person this year and this round of conference realignment, I would say the entire 100 year history has proven KU to be the bigger and better institution. Anyone that does not understand that need to stay off KU message boards.

MorganR 2 years, 8 months ago

KUstrong, I appreciate your interest, and that of others, to continue the rivalry with Missouri. However, I would venture to say that coach Self is correct in his assessment that most KU fans don't care to continue the athletic contests with Missouri. It would be interesting to have a scientific poll on that question.

For my part, the funniest / most clever thing to come out of the rivalry was the picture of John Brown with the comment "Kansas, protecting the Nation from Missouri since the Kansas Nebraska Act." I have that picture on my wall.

By the way, my initial comment should have read: "Thanks coach Selt FOR taking that position and articulating the feelings of many KU fans. "

Damian Glaze 2 years, 8 months ago

Sorry kustrong you are in the minority. There is little to gain in playing Missouri if they are not in our conference. They can't help us recruit an area. I would rather see us play UCLA, Floriday, Syracuse or Ohio State in basketball every year than to play Missouri for the benefit of the Kansas City, Missouri economy. Bill Self and the next football coach need to be more concerned with where games will get us good exposure to potential recruits. Missouri doesn't help that at all.

Gregor Southard 2 years, 8 months ago

KU is the bigger "person" here. It remained loyal when Mizzery bolted the first chance it got

tbbucboy21 2 years, 8 months ago

Bill Self is the man. #BillSelfForPrez

Saguaro_Jayhawk 2 years, 8 months ago

Same here.

And I'm not sure it's wise to proclaim that "it won't affect the long-term strength of the Big XII". That remains to be seen and she could be wrong.

rhollinshed 2 years, 8 months ago

Either you graduated years and years ago or you have all the time in the world to reply to every post. wow! Funny how some people feel they can have the only "RIGHT" answer and everyone else is wrong. There is something wrong with this picture.

Bill Kackley 2 years, 8 months ago

manginorh00lz must be a Missouri fan. Wants to think Miz is so so important. NOT

Pitthawk34 2 years, 8 months ago

I think there was a lot of things done behind the scenes that we will never know about that ticked off the big 12 about Missouri.

SinoHawk 2 years, 8 months ago

They were upset that UT was getting to call too many of the shots, so they threw themselves at the Big 10 (twice!) and were spurned (twice!). Not being able to accept that they are not quite the powerhouse that they believe themselves to be, they then threw themselves at the SEC. I think that by that point the B12 was just glad to get rid of MU. Seriously, 0 conference championships and 0 national championships in the B12. Good riddance!

SinoHawk 2 years, 8 months ago

I love that HCBS is a representative of KU. He says it like it is.

It is a shame that MU wants to flee the conference, but I suppose that it is just confirmation that they have, in fact, LOST the Border War. Just like with Nebraska, it is a shame to lose more than a century of tradition, but such is life.

zsn 2 years, 8 months ago

I think Gray-Little did: "Missouri’s decision may have implications for fans and for the Kansas City area, but it won’t affect the long-term strength of the Big 12." - OUCH!! Basically this is translated as "Don't let the door hit you where the Good Lord split you"

actorman 2 years, 8 months ago

Either you've completely lost your mind or you've been taking some of that good old Misuse meth--or both. There is no WAY I would want KU to join the SEC. Like it's not bad enough to be struggling to compete in the Big XII??? Would you seriously want to be playing teams like Alabama, LSU, Florida, Auburn, etc. on a regular basis???

actorman 2 years, 8 months ago

You're right -- if it came down to the SEC or no big conference I would take the SEC. But it would be my last choice, behind the Big XII, Big 10, ACC and Pac-12, in that order.

Stephan123 2 years, 8 months ago

KU is big time. MU is a want to be.

Bear86 2 years, 8 months ago

That want to be just got accepted to the strongest Football conference in the nation. I didn't see any invitations come KU's way.

tigerfan2011 2 years, 8 months ago

Dear Stephan123

KU IS BIG TIME IN WHAT?   MENS BASKETBALL ONLY--THAT'S IT.

Dan Harris 2 years, 8 months ago

Come on now Knowing how to make meth and which cousin to ask to prom has to count for something1

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 8 months ago

How Many NCAA championships has Missouri won in their history? Only one more than the total amount of Final Fours they have been to.

Ben Kane 2 years, 8 months ago

he has nothing to explain. his only goal is to say stuff that will get under your skin.

this site needs an ignore list.

coolhand357 2 years, 8 months ago

The writing on the wall says "manginoh00Iz is a tool".

Mel Clare 2 years, 8 months ago

Really? Writing on the wall? You have nothing better than that to justify your rantings? You NEVER have any proof..............just your lowly comments

Rob Wempe 2 years, 8 months ago

Come on TU, you say things and don't back them up and then you wonder why people get upset with you. You can do better than this.

kusayzone 2 years, 8 months ago

She doesnt know what she is talking about, so just leave her be!

Mel Clare 2 years, 8 months ago

From someone who has not stated anything worth reading in a long while.............

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 8 months ago

Don't agree but even if true, KU will pull in another top level coach. No coach is bigger than the program.

DrRustinMcGillicuddy 2 years, 8 months ago

The IQ of both conferences will increase with their departure. They don't have to be part of the Big 12 for me to despise them, I can hate them just as much in the SEC; just don't go spending all of that sweet, sweet cash on any trophy cases.

dchon 2 years, 8 months ago

Personally, I couldn't care less about Mizzery leaving the B12. Although, if we received an offer from the B1G, would we have done anything less different? I also think Bill should have re-worded his statement regarding that the majority of KU fans don't give a flip. It seems disrespectful to the fans that do care and disrespectful to the best hundred year rivalry in the country, especially making such a statement couple months after the passing of KU Coach legend Fambrough. With that being said, I do support Bill's decision that we should play Mizzery on our terms. Mizzery acts as though everything is ho-hum pie and wants everything to go their way. There are consequences to every action. So, Mizzery, just pay your damn exit fees and stop acting like we're friends because we're not.

Brianna Zaleski 2 years, 8 months ago

That's the pathetic thing about Mizzery though, they never actually received an invite from the Big 10. They got used in order to lure Neb, yet they acted as if they were being courted by royalty or something. So when it was blatantly obviously that they just got played, they then proceeded to whore themselves out to any takers. If they couldn't keep pace in the Big 12, they had better be ready to be a perrinial cellar dweller, because that's their future.

Hank Cross 2 years, 8 months ago

"I’ll be honest, the majority of Kansas fans don’t give a flip about playing Missouri.” What is honest about that statement? Compare how many t-shirts are printed up with variations of the "Muck Fizzou" theme and how many mock ISU, TT, OSU, etc.

There was absolutely no reason for the tone of those comments. MU got off of Bevo's ranch, good for them.

SaltLakeHawk 2 years, 8 months ago

I have a different take on his quote. Bill Self is finally calling it like it is. Mizery has N E V E R been in the same league as Kansas basketball (and we're finally making it official).

I'm too lazy to look up Bill's record against MU, but I guarantee it's hilariously one-sided. He's probably getting tired of playing sh*tty teams like MU, which don't do much to prepare KU for the tournament.

KU absolutely owns MU in basketball. Period. And while it's a minor source of entertainment for KU fans to watch our players posterize theirs every year, it's really not much more than that. I'd rather not play MU at all, because it's no fun. If we win, then that's what everybody expected (I've fallen asleep watching countless, boring bloodbaths that we've administered to those clowns). If we lose, then MU fans storm the court and sell VHS tapes.

Screw them, Self speaks for me. Mizery can go strive for mediocrity somewhere else.

Wooleybooly 2 years, 8 months ago

Self was 3-0 against Mizzou while at Illinois and is 14-3 against Mizzou since coming to Kansas. I got a little lazy after that and didn't bother to check if he faced them while he was at ORU and Tulsa. 17-3 is rather hilarously one-sided though.

oldrocker 2 years, 8 months ago

Bill speaks for me as well...I'm not crying and I don't give a flip about Mizzery leaving. It's never been a rivalry...it has always been pure hatred. I hope this turns out to be the biggest mistake in Mizzery history.

addlime 2 years, 8 months ago

You're right and you're wrong. Historically, KU is the vastly superior program. But under Norm Stewart, there were some great MU basketball teams. I'm not old enough to remember before that. But I remember a game or two that were epic, LSU vs. Bama style. KU was ranked 1, MU 2, in the country. (MU won unfortunately) That's pretty huge when it's your in conference rival and you are both ranked 1 and 2. Or who could forget the 97 team, and the 2OT game?

HawksWin 2 years, 8 months ago

I wondered why Coach would think/say that, then I read what MU said about going to the SEC - “This is an opportunity to fulfill the expectations and the promise and the potential of the University of Missouri and its athletic program,” Deaton said, “in a way that we have not had the opportunity in the past to do.”

Perhaps Coach's comment was directed at MU and its desire to play KU in a non-con game to which I'd say "KU fans don't give a flip about playing Missouri". My comment is based on a combination of anger, betrayal & disappointment. How's that oxcali?

Ethan Berger 2 years, 8 months ago

I am tired of people blaming Texas. How is mizzou, neb, colorado and A&M different? They all chased money like Texas. When A&M left they asked Texas if they could still play. Does that sound like a school who really want to get out of their shadow. This realignment has nothing more to do than with money. You have to pay for the longhorn network, and guess what in Texas, Texas already got the recruits. Its not like this network is going to change that. Beside Texas doing the best thing to get cash (didn't we all praise Lew for doing the same?) What have they done wrong?

Hank Cross 2 years, 8 months ago

USC and UCLA share a media market that is equal to half the whole state of TX. Yet, they agreed to an even split with OR state and WSU b/c they realized that it was in their best interest to keep their conference strong. Bevo never got that memo.

stm62 2 years, 8 months ago

It was great fun hating Missouri. I'll miss the rivalry. But, like my father says it's : "good riddance to bad rubbish".

Alohahawk 2 years, 8 months ago

Hurrah for HCBS. Most, if not all, of KU's fans are not crying over Mizzery's exit to hillbilly heaven in the South. Unless it's to weep for joy. And maybe that remark shows that Self, or somebody on his staff, has been paying some attention to the remarks expressed on this and other KU boards.

By the way. You're wording was very close, but not quite accurate, coach. KU's fans would love to "flip Mizzery the bird".

This gives KU all the more reason to win their final two match-ups versus the Missery pu**ies this season. Let's go out in style, Hawks!!!

jaybate 2 years, 8 months ago

BGL-B12 $trong.

Zenger-Wish'em well.

Self-KU fans don't give a flip about MU.

jaybate-acute regime change coming to the Fizzouri state oligarchy?

JRock-?

s6u6r6f 2 years, 8 months ago

The lowly tigers slink away. Good riddance indeed. Rock chalk.

jaybate 2 years, 8 months ago

Heeeeeeeeere comes....

Louisville. Pitt. Rutgers. Syracuse. Maryland. Boise State. WVU and a school to be named later.

Mel Clare 2 years, 8 months ago

THAT would be asuper conference!

Rob Wempe 2 years, 8 months ago

Did Pitt and Syracuse make an about face that I didn't hear about? They are headed to the ACC.

jaybate 2 years, 8 months ago

Yes. They got stopped cold, just like Texas and OU.

And Boise State joined the Big East to create a nice tidy package. And Rutgers said they were standing pat till things clarified, but would not say The Big East was the future!

"There's somethin' happenin' here/ What it is ain't exactly clear..." --Buffalo Springfield

lmateo1 2 years, 8 months ago

Well said Self! You aren't going to make a name off of us with a lucky win when you think you are too good to be in our conference. Playing us for hype instead of tradition is bull. Enjoy your slow death on the southern coast.

Ben Kane 2 years, 8 months ago

the big winner here is the small businesses in Lawrence that will now get one extra home game of sales that Lew took away from them.

kushaw 2 years, 8 months ago

So, we have a, "I don't give a sh#$ about UNC" from Roy Williams in 2003 and we have a, "Most Jayhawk fans don't give a flip about playing Mizzou" from Bill Self 2011. I sure wish somebody would have caught Self saying fu#$!

Janet Olin 2 years, 8 months ago

I agree. My Muck Fizzou shirt is still in good shape and I will wear it anyway. I will always root for whichever team plays Fizzou--in every sport. Who cares which league? Just too bad they had to screw up Kansas City's sporting attractions.

Timmay97 2 years, 8 months ago

Missouri mind as well get used to that 2-10 football record year in and year out. SEC plays a much bigger defensive style in football.....more hurtful than the Big 12. Alabama and LSU proved that this past Saturday night. MIzzou WILL NOT be able to compete in football in that conference.

I actually think they will do better in BBall. Kentucky will roll them over along with Florida....but it's only those two teams that are above and beyond everyone in the conference. It's very similar to KU and Texas being above everyone in the Big 12.

Either way......I'm one not to lose sleep over Mizzou...reason being.....K-State didn't go anywhere. It will just heat things up even more with them.

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 8 months ago

Mark ahperse down and his closet full of Muck Fizzou shirts down as kind of caring. A rivalry with roots in the civil war is kind of a big deal.

However if we were in Mizzou's shoes (which we would have been had we not hired Gill) we would have jumped ship if the opportunity presented it's self. Give it a couple of years for things to cool down and then set up some of neutral site game. How about ku/MU and UT/aTm at Jerrys palace every year?

actorman 2 years, 8 months ago

"However if we were in Mizzou's shoes (which we would have been had we not hired Gill) ..."

Of all the bizarre comments you've made, this one may be the wackiest of all. The situation would not have been the slightest bit different even if KU had a decent coach in place. The SEC didn't choose to add aTm and Misuse because of their stellar athletic traditions; it was all about the size of their TV markets. That's something that KU never had any control over. It would be one thing if KU had a decades-old tradition like Nebraska, but a few more good records one way or the other wouldn't have made any difference. (And even with Nebraska, one of the reasons they were appealing to the Big 10 is that they're the only D1 school in their entire state, which is not the case with KU.)

The complete lack of anything resembling logic in your comment takes your hatred of Gill to a whole new level.

shottybotch 2 years, 8 months ago

I guess we should not be surprised Missouri split off and joined the south...

tecuani 2 years, 8 months ago

Finally, that yellow kitty cat who found the Sharpie is gone and tried to be a tiger is gone.

Yay!

Robert Brock 2 years, 8 months ago

Missouri couldn't care less about continuing the rivalry - they voted with their feet. Don't reward these people.

Marcus Duncan 2 years, 8 months ago

How many time did Mizzery state, "We are committed to the Big XII?" Over and over when it was rumered they were going to the Big 10. Wher is your committment now?!?! Someone dangles a little $$$ in front of your face and see what happens. . . What commitment??? You are about as loyal and trustworthy as Coach Crookipari saying "I've never done anything wrong at any of the schools I've ever coached at"!!! YEAH RIGHT. You're both a JOKE, and have no CLASS.

tis4tim 2 years, 8 months ago

Nailed it.

I would venture to guess that Self is privately disappointed at the disintegration of one of the great rivalries in college sports as are many of us, but he'd NEVER admit that publicly, especially not after the way Mizzou has behaved through all of this.

Mizzou would love to hear the remaining schools say how much worse off the conference will be without them and how crushed they about the rivalries ending. Why give them the satisfaction?

Self is a brilliant P.R. strategist and this is another master stroke.

hawksince51 2 years, 8 months ago

I have followed the KU vs. MU football rivalry since 1951. I was in Columbia when we knocked them out of number 1 in 1960 with all their students and fans wearing the infamous AHAB buttons. I watched on TV when they retaliated by mobbing our b-ball team at the 1961 game in Columbia. When I was at KU and later when I lived in KC, the KU v. MU games were the biggest on the schedule. All that said, I agree with Self and hope we do not play these defectors in any sport unless it happens to be in the NCAAs.

jaymar74 2 years, 8 months ago

If I had zero final fours and my most hated rival had 13 final fours, I would turn tail and run also.

canson 2 years, 8 months ago

PLEZ no more TV sports programs of Missouri High School, Mizzery-U or other Missouri schools. Give us Big12 area Sports on TV in Western Kansas. I have turned anything off on my TV concerning Missouri since the days of Norm a-hole Stewart!!!!!

Laura Wilson 2 years, 8 months ago

For me the basketball rivalry was much more of a big deal when Stewart was coach. Since then, for one, Missouri hasn't been anywhere near the kind of team they were under him (in both dirty play and higher quality play), and secondly the coaches since haven't been as easy to despise. Yes, their Antlers are still nasty, but playing bball against them just hasn't been as much of a deal.

Now I will miss the football rivalry, but without Fambrough it's already diminished. It would be great for a completely new KU team to show up in a few weeks and stomp on the Tigers at Arrowhead one last time, but I'm not holding my breath.

REHawk 2 years, 8 months ago

If the rivalry ever resumes, games are to be played at The Phog only. Tigers receive a share of the gate and media revenue similar to the cut which Fort Hayes will get tomorrow night.
Or, if the rivalry ever is renewed at the Sprint Center, Kansas agrees to a 75% share of all revenues. I like Bill Self's take on the situation. Let's blast 'em out of their own storied facility in early February.

Shawn Otrimble 2 years, 8 months ago

As Mizzou retreats back to the "slave states", I have to say I'm concerned about the Big 12 and Kansas basketball. I believe the Big 12 should Louisville, Cincy, and BYU while we can. Also we should get rid of Gill and hire Leach so we can turn the football program around so that if all Hell breaks loose in 6 years. Our football program will at least be competitive, and we would have a chance of joining the Big 10 or ACC. (I hope the Big 12 can stay together now but we must prepare for the worst so we will not be left out to join a Missouri Valley/Sun belt type league. (which would extremely hurt the Kansas Basketball tradition.)

Rob Wempe 2 years, 8 months ago

Jim Leavitt would also be a great choice!

irish2255 2 years, 8 months ago

I agree with coach. I don't give a flip about playing missouri. Now when we did play them I wanted to kick their teeth in. Could care less if we ever play them again. I'm sure the seeding committee will try to have us in a 1 vs 8 matchup in future tourneys.

kureignman 2 years, 8 months ago

The only way that Bill Self could have said it better:

BS: The majority of KU fans don't give a Mizzou about Missouri. Reporter: Uh did you just say "Mizzou"? BS: Yeah you know, a deuce, a number 2, a dump, a Mizzou.

Kent Wells 2 years, 8 months ago

I couldn't give a sh!t about Missouri right now. I've got 9 schools in that conference that I love.

Steve Hillyer 2 years, 8 months ago

I wish the KU "powers" would just keep quiet, we're coming off sounding like a bunch of immature whiney crybabies.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 8 months ago

The Ten Top Reasons I care:

10] Living in Missouri, it has been great fun to throw an almost uncountable number of basketball victories in their faces.

9] When they come back at me about football, I just say two words, "Orange Bowl", then sit back and watch their heads explode [Actually, I'll still be able to do that!!]

8] Going to miss the almost guaranteed 2 or 3 victories every basketball season and throw in CU and NU and that's 6 to 9 victories a year we'll miss.

7] Going to Homecoming tailgates with my in-laws, incognito, and spitting on everything on campus when no one is looking.

6] Watching them spin in the win as conference after conference said " no thanks."

5] Watching them go on probation for NCAA violations at every level.

4] Reminding them that would have lost the Civil War if they had been given a chance to choose for themselves.

3] I will be hard-pressed to find a replacement state with the same number of meth labs and puppy farms.

2] Miss watching Norm Stewart sail into the sunset.

and the number one reason is...drumroll....

1] " You coulda had Bill Self, but ya took Quinn Snyder!!!!!!!!!

Matt1958 2 years, 8 months ago

I was at the Misery game last year. When Tyrel hit that 3 to put us at 100, I thought the dadgum roof was going to come off. I admit, I will miss thumping them every year. But, we still have KSU to kick around.

Jayhawk444 2 years, 8 months ago

I would have added one more word. "the majority of Kansas fans don't give a flip about playing Missouri NOW" The fact is - if somebody is your most hated rival, you DO care about playing them. But if they choose to leave that rivalry, then we will no longer care. While I loved the great old rivalry with them and certainly did give a flip, I now don't care at all. They ruined a good thing.

Jayhawk444 2 years, 8 months ago

A most excellent quote from ESPN.com - "But there's a reason that they call the trustees of the University of Missouri "curators." They are the people who work at museums, which is the only place you'll find a Tiger trophy in football for the foreseeable future."

Gregor Southard 2 years, 8 months ago

Coach Self rocks! MU is irrelevant

boknowssports 2 years, 8 months ago

Self has the backbone to say what needs to be said. We are KU. We dictate our own course. If it makes us money or helps recruiting in some way to play Mizzou, then okay. If we could use that date to improve our program with a game somewhere else against another team, so be it! We need more coaches and administrators like Self, not all the PC stuff the other wimps at KU put out.

tolawdjk 2 years, 8 months ago

Until just recently, I would say the TCU/AM swap was a wash in bball and the MIzzou/WV is a definate improvement interms of basketball quality.

The important thing is that I don't have to stop hating Mizzou and everything they stand for just because we won't be playing them. They just join the "Duke" club of teams you can't like for any reason, no matter who they are playing.

phi4life940 2 years, 8 months ago

Going to be fun seeing Mizzery get crushed in the SEC.

I hope we win both games this year in basketball (and hopefully the impossible longshot of winning the football game in KC).

I couldn't care less. Mizzery dug their own hole in this mess.

I love Bill Self.

Rock Chalk, and Muck Fizzou til the day I die.

actorman 2 years, 8 months ago

Why would you continue to post your excrement on this site? Pretty pathetic if you could ask me.

actorman 2 years, 8 months ago

Take out "could"; I don't know how that word got in there.

Dan Harris 2 years, 8 months ago

Why would you consistantly come to our message boards to spew your garbage? Pretty pathetic if you ask me.

Robert Brown 2 years, 8 months ago

This is why it's good to keep your mouth shut. The statements coming from KU representatives just sound petty and childish. I love Bill Self but he should just keep his mouth shut. I care about the rivalry and I know I am in the majority.

There is absolutely NO reason for KU not to play MU in KC every year. There is plenty of scheduling flexibility. Football is a different story. I don't think we can trade playing a division 1-AA school for a competitive opponent like MU.

The chancellor and AD comments were also petty. A simple- "We are sorry to see MU leave" would have sufficed.

lee3022 2 years, 8 months ago

This sounds suspiciously like an MU whine. Keeping your cake and eating it too rarely work. There is no reason to schedule MU. Our RPI can be stronger by playing someone who matters. Every year coach schedules someone in Kansas City so the team gets to play there and help recruit there. It will not be a school that also recruits Kansas City. And it will not by Missouri.

I support coach in whatever he wants to say. The world may be transitioning to 'politically correct' but there are still plenty of us that prefer the unvarnished truth.

John Randall 2 years, 8 months ago

I agree with your estimate that the majority of KU fan base will miss the rivalry which MU has chosen to discontinue. While the series with NU actually started earlier and was therefore longer, it in no way compared to the heat and depth of KU-MU. A part of our tradition has been ripped away and I will forever resent Texas for bringing their anything-for-a-dollar whoremongering attitude to what once was a fine conference.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 8 months ago

Interesting that the polls have the Hawks as high as 11th in the preseason polls but Rivals.com has us as the lowest NCAA 5th seed along with Alabama, Gonzaga and Cincinnati!!

Which will it be?

I think it will be opposite...we will quickly drop after several early losses, then gradually rise as we jell as a team!!

Comments please.

HawkKlaw 2 years, 8 months ago

I agree with you. We will lose early and often (by "often", I mean 3 or 4 times in the non-conference...it is KU), but as Bill Self's teams have been known to do, we will gel during the conference schedule and by the time the Big 12 tourney rolls around, we will be hitting on all cylinders. I don't see any reason why KU wouldn't be a favorite to win another Big 12 conference title and get into the NCAA tourney with a fairly high seed.

FreddyinLA 2 years, 8 months ago

I remember a “Sit Down Norm” chant in AFH that got so loud the old man had to sit down because it was becoming bigger than the game itself.

I remember the cap guns going off when Stipanovich was introduced.

I remember my friend being sprayed by mace while helping tear down a goal post after upsetting a good Missouri team.

I remember more buzz on campus during the weeks we played Mizzou.

actorman 2 years, 8 months ago

I was also one of those lucky people who got sprayed by mace after that Misuse game. Ah, the joys of dealing with the KU Police Dept. (or "KPUD," as my friend used to call them).

actorman 2 years, 8 months ago

If I remember correctly, that was also the game where KU finished sixth in the conference by beating Misuse and we chanted, "We're number six" as we carried the goalpost out to Potter Lake. Thinking of that still brings a smile to my face.

danmoore 2 years, 8 months ago

Oklahoma doesn't play Nebraska anymore. Can't see playing Missouri after this year.

wtarush 2 years, 8 months ago

I only have questions: ...antlers??? Where in the world did that come from? Is there a distinct form of tigger that was bone-headed? Does (add your own derogatory name for our wash-machine-on-the-front-porch neighbors) have a secondary mascot of a reigndeer like we have Baby Jay? Are they a secret society focused on being bone-heads? Sounds like a bunch of naysayers that flunked out of the cubscouts and hold a grudge against...everything.

The whole thing about the antlers reminds me of K-State...searching for an identity like grade school softball players looking for a difinitive cheer in the dugout... "octagon of doom" (what a joke!!!)... "emaw"??? Makes me ashamed they have "Kansas" in their school monicher.

Missouri=quitters... plain and simple. Glad to see them leave. Now we can get another school in the Big XII with some class and history they can actually be proud of...

hawksince51 2 years, 8 months ago

A few years ago I was watching the KU-MU game in a sports bar and after smelling something, noticed a guy 2 bar stools down with an MU T-shirt. The game was at Columbia so I asked him why the students in that rowdy section were called the Antlers. He said it had to do with the way they put their hands on their heads during the playing of the Missouri waltz made it look like they had antlers. For what it's worth, and probably not much.

Ben Kliewer 2 years, 8 months ago

I think Self is right. We did give a flip about playing Missouri until they chose to leave the conference and the rivalry behind. If they can walk away from over a century of rivalry like that, we can leave it behind just as easily. No skin off our back. We're not going to cry about it. But I have a feeling that the Jayhawk/Mildcat rivalry might pick up some more steam...which I'm not too sure about. I have a lot of friends who went through Manhattan and I always liked deflecting a lot of rivalry energy away from KSU towards Mizzou. Plus, I'll always take a team representing the Great State (of Kansas) over somebody else. But I always liked watching Mizzou get beat by anybody...unless we had already beat them, then I liked seeing them win because it mad us look better...I dunno...

rockchalk80 2 years, 8 months ago

I did give a flip - but they're gone... and if we ever decided to schedule an SEC team annually - it wouldn't be Mizzou, but it should be Kentucky.

Kye Clark 2 years, 8 months ago

Or Florida. Still one of the best non-conference games in recent memory, back in the '06-'07 season when we beat them in Vegas.

HawkKlaw 2 years, 8 months ago

Julian with the 360 dunk! I still have the newspaper clip.

Jayhawk444 2 years, 8 months ago

More really funny stuff on the Internet - from Sports Illustrated "Tigers-Tide represented everything great about SEC; Missouri move is opposite

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/stewart_mandel/11/06/sec-lsu-alabama-missouri/index.html#ixzz1d35B6xO0

Kye Clark 2 years, 8 months ago

That is pretty hilarious, and they weren't even as hard on Mizzou as they could have been in detailing their lengthy athletic mediocrity.

Sally Presson 2 years, 8 months ago

Not gonna lie--don't care they are leaving, don't care we're never playing them again, don't care, don't care.

John Randall 2 years, 8 months ago

Convinced yet, Sally? Maybe put it on tape to play while you sleep ... lots of things we don't appreciate until they are gone.

Bellator 2 years, 8 months ago

Bill Self for federal reserve chairman!

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 8 months ago

How about doubling Self's salary and letting him coach the football team also?

BC5 2 years, 8 months ago

Good riddance Mizzou. KU gains nothing by playing the Tigers in hoops. We beat them all the time and whenever Mizzou gets lucky and wins one here or there, they are annoying and celebrate like they won the national title. Their fans have a severe inferiority complex and West Virginia will provide better competition in all sports. I am so glad Mizzou is gone, and can't wait to laugh at them in the SEC.

And just for old times sake, the Tigers still get to roll into an arena name after a Jayhawk and get their butt kicked. Thank you Rupp Arena

actorman 2 years, 8 months ago

Actually, though, it should be the other way around, something like "SEC envisions added profits from pounding pond scum." Otherwise it's saying that pond scum will be making profits from pond scum, which doesn't make a lot of sense.

Steve Brown 2 years, 8 months ago

He$$ just froze over as now I get to root for Ky Wildcats Calipari twice a year.

I will follow HCBS directives yet would prefer to play them as when we play them we get the chance to beat them. I will miss those days.

Steve Gantz 2 years, 8 months ago

I'm going to miss the annual battles. KU needs to schedule them. Why wouldn't they? I, as many here have pointed out, disagree with Coach Self. A lot of us don't want to see this great rivalry go by the wayside.

On the other hand, maybe it spices up the K-State rivalry more because that will be the only rivalry game we've got.

PVJayhawk 2 years, 8 months ago

I'm true to my word and am returned.

There are those among you who are perhaps aware that I do not view mu with a friendly eye, so you may understand the genesis of the following.

I have heard (he was before my time) that norm stewart was not a gentleman and had no class or ethics. In a nutshell then, he was a low-class, dishonest scumbag. On the brighter side though, that made him a perfect fit for mu and explains why he was venerated there.

BOTTOM LINE: The kind of people who would admire n.s. are the kind of people with whom KU should not associate. So I say their departure is a blessing.

......................................................................

ps Having said all that, I must add that while I usually refer to mu people as neotenous miscreants (or worse), I suppose some of them are actually ok and nearly human. I know, I know, most of you will say there is little evidence in favor of this notion, but I still hold this view or at least consider it possible.

.....................................................................

pps Jaybate: How well you know me! I did (as you guessed/predicted/suggested) spend part of that time in a French convent (though neither nun nor Catholic) and didn't touch a computer for about 2 months.

I am afraid I was not able to see the monastery at Novy Dvur* but the photos suggest a place that repels human life like wax repels water. Would Ruskin like it?? It does not seem to have all seven lamps and if he loved the Doge's Palace (I was in it very recently) would he like the monastery? I doubt it. You are right-one must see it in person.

*I DID however visit the grave (among many many others) of a fellow you may have heard of. He went by the name of Albert Camus.

How absurd is that?

jaybate 2 years, 8 months ago

Camus' grave?

Where is the great French Algerian buried? He who tried to resuscitate the Mediterranean culture, and who so loved the night winds of Algiers, and who revealed to the world that embracing absurdity was not only not absurd, but rather essential to all human endeavor, where lies the pacifist who fought the Nazis, the atheist who believed in god, the dramatist who wrote novels, the artist who practiced politics.

We are now not so much in the age Orwell forecast, but the avoidable inevitability Camus foresaw.

The great man who was murdered accidentally in a car crash, when Pauline Reage was writing O for one of the men who might have accidentally murdered him.

Camus was the true profit of the future of civilization.

What Kafka wrote in intentionally unfinished works of art, Camus unintentionally finished.

What Kafka purported, Camus reported.

What Kafka expressed as nightmare comedy, Camus imputed with philosophical melodrama.

I had an espresso not long ago across the piazza from the Doge's Palace, but did not go in. Did it move you?

I took a gondola in the dying city that is not dying.

Was Venice good to you?

PVJayhawk 2 years, 8 months ago

Camus is in a very small cemetery in Lourmarin, France (I had occasion to tour the hill towns of Provence so I was in the area)

Venice is always good to me.

dynamitehawk 2 years, 8 months ago

Here's how the post Mizzou acceptance SEC divisional line-up discussion went:

Alabama: We don't wanna lose our game with Auburn! Auburn: Yeah! Wuuut she said!

Kentucky: We got whiskey; they got meth! That's wut we call breakfast in Lexington! Arkansas: Hoooooooeeeeeeeee!

Vanderbilt: We ain't gettin' kicked out are we??!? LSU: Neaux.

Florida: We'll takem' in the East ... I heard they luuuuv playin' with the Cocks. Tennesse: We luuuv playin' with the Cocks, too!

Mizzou to the East. Will be pounded by South Carolina Cocks 4 times a year.

Dynamite = :^)

Woody Cragg 2 years, 8 months ago

Good stuff dynamite, good stuff!

Steve Brown 2 years, 8 months ago

My first game in AFH. Half centruy ago before cable TV, ESPN, Ipads or cell phones, M Ali was champ and Bart Starr and the Packers won super bowl I.

One a snowy night our attny. neighbor had AFH season tickets and owed my folks a favor. So they put me in the car and drove 90 minutes to Lawrence. The fieldhouse held more people than lived in our small one-stop light town by three fold. . We sat in row 3 on the line right across from 'sit down Norm'. Jo Jo and the boys spanked a very good MU team. A very good Tiger team.

I returned home informed my folks I would not accept the free ride scholarship I had been offered at that nice private liberal arts school as my college days were going to be spent in the barn.

RCJHJGKU

jaybate 2 years, 8 months ago

The irony is the Big 12 actually will be better off with TCU than with TAM, and better off with Louisville, than with MU.

TCU can compete for titles and BCS championships. TAM could not.

Louisville is a true basketball school. MU was neither a basketball school, nor a football school.

The only ones that may suffer from MU leaving are the Super Corridor right of way folks. But if they are not complaining, then they must not have needed MU after all.

Woody Cragg 2 years, 8 months ago

He's right...not even a flip of the "jaybird". But never ever forget, Muck Fizzou, always!

wavinghawk 2 years, 8 months ago

Why would we waste a game playing "them" Let's go play and beat some real big boys like Duke, Kentucky, OSU, Gtown, Zona or Uconn then maybe we'll stop losing out on our top recruits.

REHawk 2 years, 8 months ago

Thanks, lighthawk, for the classic personal revelation. Sounds like a decision with no regrets.