Originally published June 17, 2011 at 02:50p.m., updated June 18, 2011 at 12:00a.m.

Kevin Young joins KU men’s basketball team

Kevin Young watches the alumni scrimmage during the Bill Self basketball game on Wednesday at Horejsi Center.

photo

A possible participant in the 2012 Olympic Games on Friday joined Kansas University’s basketball team.

Kevin Young — a 6-foot-8, 215-pound shooting guard/small forward who played two years at Loyola Marymount University before working as a volunteer assistant coach at Barstow Community College during the 2010-11 school year — in July will try out for Puerto Rico’s Olympic squad.

“I am pretty confident I can make the team,” Young told the Journal-World on Friday afternoon after signing a financial-aid agreement with KU.

In July of 2009, Young, whose mom is Puerto Rican, led Puerto Rico to a 5-4 record at the Under 19 world championships in New Zealand.

In averaging 7.7 points and 5.0 rebounds, he exhibited some of the tools necessary to play Big 12 Conference as well as international ball.

“I think it’s fun to just run up and down the court. I like to please the crowd with dunks and all that good stuff — blocks and steals,” said Young, who averaged 10.7 points and 5.6 rebounds as a sophomore at Loyola Marymount after breaking LMU’s school freshman marks for rebounds, steals and blocks.

“I try to play with high energy all the time,” added Young, who had 19 rebounds in a game his freshman year against New Mexico State.

Until this week, it was assumed former Perris (Calif.) High standout Young would be resuming his playing career at San Diego State. He signed a financial-aid agreement with Steve Fisher’s Aztec program last November. Now attending summer school classes at KU, Young is on a financial-aid agreement here.

“It’s a great school as well,” Young said of SDSU. “There’s nothing they did wrong or anything that made me change my mind. I just figure this is a bigger stage and a lot more opportunity.”

KU coach Bill Self sees an immediate opportunity for Young. The Jayhawks lost seven players off last year’s 35-3 team.

“I thought we definitely needed a playmaker, and we were able, at a late date, to fall into Kevin, and we couldn’t be happier,” Self said. “He’s 6-8, thin and can play multiple positions. He reminds me a lot of Julian Wright — very bouncy, very athletic. He will most definitely be an impact player for us next season.”

Young’s goal, of course, is to play as many minutes as possible in his two seasons here.

“I was looking for a place to get a chance to play at. It’d be a great achievement to play at a school like this,” Young said. “It wasn’t only that, but the coaching and players as well.

“It’s a great atmosphere. They take a lot of pride in their school and basketball. They are pretty great teammates. I’ve met them already. They are good guys. I can’t wait to play with them.”

Loyola Marymount coach Max Good gives a resounding recommendation of Young.

“To be honest, Kevin wants to play 45 minutes of a 40-minute game. He goes that hard. He’s the Energizer bunny,” Good told the San Diego Union-Tribune. “I really think Kevin can help most teams in the country in some way, shape or form. There aren’t many better run-and-jump athletes in the country.”

Young left LMU and headed to juco for academic reasons. Self said Young graduated from junior college and had two years left to play.

“We’re really happy,” Self said. “I know he wants to be here. It’s amazing how recruiting works. You work so hard for some guys and don’t get them, and sometimes great opportunities just happen to come your way, and this is certainly a great opportunity for us.”

Young had an opportunity of a lifetime last school year, coaching on a volunteer basis at Barstow.

“I helped out coach (Reggie) Howard. I got to run with the guys a little bit to stay in shape,” Young said. “I think coach wanted some fresh ideas. It was a great experience, a fun experience. I got to learn a lot about the game from the other side.

“I’d ask the coaches why we do this, do that. It made me realize a lot of things about coaching.”

Barstow coach Howard likes what he observed in Young last season.

“He’s a tremendous athlete that plays above the rim,” Howard told sandiegostate.rivals.com. “He’s a quiet kid. I call him the ‘Quiet Assassin.’ He's got speed, and he plays at 100 percent. He's easy to coach and open to things. If he makes a mistake, he still plays hard. He’ll make several plays above the rim.”

Young, who figures to gain a lot practicing with his new teammates the rest of June through most of July, is eager to learn more and more about KU.

“The tradition is great. Hearing all the stories right now, I just can’t wait to actually create some history myself,” Young said.

Notes

KU, which has 11 scholarship players counting former walk-on Conner Teahan, has two scholarships left to give in recruiting. KU has been mentioned as a possible destination for Merv Lindsay, a 6-7 small forward out of Canyon Springs High School in Moreno Valley, Calif. He’s visited both KU and Marquette after decommitting from Texas Tech. Also listing KU: Andre Walker, a 6-7 former Vanderbilt player who has one year of eligibility remaining, and Ryan Taylor, a 6-6 former University of Louisville commit (out of Louisville) who has heard from KU, Indiana, West Virginia and South Carolina. ... KU senior Tyshawn Taylor’s U.S. team defeated Young’s Puerto Rico squad, 82-61, in the 2009 U19 Worlds. ... Young actually completed his associate’s degree at San Bernardino Community College last year, while working at Barstow. ... Young said he expected to play “shooting guard and small forward, a little of both,” at KU. ... Self on Friday hosted the seventh Bill Self/Lawrence Parks and Recreation Department Golf Classic at Eagle Bend.

Comments

Kyle Rohde 4 years, 2 months ago

Well, on one hand, I don't like that we've lost so many recruiting battles that we needed to go after a transfer like this. But on the other hand, he sounds talented and we need frontcourt help so what the heck, HCBS know what he's doing.

xfitter 4 years, 2 months ago

Can we cry more over spilled milk? Please?

Kenny Nall 4 years, 2 months ago

Dude, if you haven't realized it, a lot of recruiting is just hype. Not to rain on anyone's parade, but a lot of highly touted players, McDonald's All-Americans and the like, don't bring that enthusiasm to win games like a player who hasn't made a name for himself yet and knows he might have to work hard in college to create opportunities. Next year, it looks like we'll have some good leaders with experience, unproven guys, and incoming raw talent so there should be no worries over Kansas Basketball.

KJD 4 years, 2 months ago

Great news. An 'impact player' who can play in the front court. It's so good that he 'just came our way' at this time. Now we have three true big men that are Juniors which means the incoming Freshman have a some more time to develop. This is looking good for Releford playing at Small Forward more often. To me, this feels like the last piece that this class needed.

notigers4me 4 years, 2 months ago

I think that this kid is a great find for the Hawks. It doesn't seem like he has any emotional baggage and an ego. Maybe only time will tell but I think this is a great addition to the Hawks. He also appears to be a three point shot threat. He needs to get in the weight room and belly up to the dinner table and he will be just fine.

Ben Kane 4 years, 2 months ago

I know he isn't the big name many fans were hoping for, but from this article he sounds exactly like the type of person i enjoy having representing our university. I look forward to seeing him on the hardwood next season.

oh yeah, and i just finalized my trip to Madison Square Garden for the KU UK game! :P

ahpersecoachingexperience 4 years, 2 months ago

Flipped a coin between going there or Hawaii. Coin said ny until my wife said "aloha!"

Ben Kane 4 years, 2 months ago

wives tend to do that. lol. hawaii has its perks... so does new york though.

Ben Kane 4 years, 2 months ago

it was an easy decision for me because i hate kentucky almost on a mizery level. that's what happens when you live here and have to listen to these fools day in and day out.

Alohahawk 4 years, 2 months ago

Was that the best two out of three coin flips? Send her out here while you're rooting for the Hawks in NYC. I'll show her a good time. Just joking, of course.

Don't miss much about the mainland, but I do miss watching the Jayhawks in person.

And, welcome aboard Mr.Young. I'll root for anyone Self deems worthy to extend a schollie to, and who puts in the efforrt to win. The more options the Hawks have next season, the better. Mesh with the team this summer and get a good headstart for next season. Kensucky has the big name recruits and a few starters coming back. Both teams will have a bunch of new players to work into their lineups. Sure would be nice for the "Hilltoppers" to win against the hillbillies.

Mike Kendall 4 years, 2 months ago

Chuck---

Had some friends that went to NYC this week. They are having a great time. However, when you go to see the Hawks against Kentucky. . . . Oh, my---that is awesome! I am sure you will have a great trip. rcjhgku!

jamsim3 4 years, 2 months ago

Just curious. Have you heard anything about tickets for the KU vs UK game. I'm definitely going myself just trying to find tickets as early as possible.

Dyrk Dugan 4 years, 2 months ago

These are the kinds of guys we need...if we're going to get transfers, or need roster spots....not just give the position to someone totally inexperienced.

sounds like a good energy guy, whose quite athletic. HCBS may have to play more full court, get after it type D....'cause i don't know how good a shot we'll be.

welcome Kevin! Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

Thomas Michaud 4 years, 2 months ago

Like the pickup of Bill in this late period + Junior-to-be that gives us more experience quickly and will be here for 2 years + height + Jumper (nice highlight of him on you tube with a reebok "dunk of the day" vid + Inside and Outside like Ju-ju + will work well with both he and Releford on the court

I seriously can't wait to see Releford and Elijah taking on a larger role this season. I just wish I knew if Jeff was going to get his head into being a more physical center (loved Pollards comments yesterday in the videos).

tis4tim 4 years, 2 months ago

Welcome, Kevin. Your life will forever be changed now that you are a Jayhawk.

Paul Brozik 4 years, 2 months ago

Technically every player is going to be an impact player. Right? Positive, negative or no impact. Just sayin:)

mk9992 4 years, 2 months ago

If they have no impact, then they are not an impact player.

jaybate 4 years, 2 months ago

Haven't you heard?

Self's going to play Kevin out of position at the point.

Where Hudy is needed is with Nadiir, whom Self plans to play at the low post!

David Hodges 4 years, 2 months ago

There is the Ahper I know... welcome back! All jokes, I like the more optimistic Ahper so I can live with the random football jabs. Keep em both coming just more of the positive than the latter. Rock Chalk!

AverageCitizen 4 years, 2 months ago

So, Tyshawn may knows Kevin since Tyshawn was on the American U19 team that same year. Wonder if they played each other or met? I bet the SDSU coach is not a happy camper right now.

waywardJay 4 years, 2 months ago

See how quikcly he jumped at this Chance.... he was only on the radar for about...errr um.... one day.... and Jumped at this oppurtunity... Combine that with another strong tournament run and this will remind kids of how important it is to be a Jayhawk. Speaking specifically of you Perry Ellis.

selfishhawk 4 years, 2 months ago

Wow! Now we're congratulating ourselves/getting hyped because we beat out San Diego State for the services of a LMU transfer. This is getting pathetic.

djhawk75 4 years, 2 months ago

I think that you're missing the point. SDSU's head coach is a national title winner, and his programis skyrocketing at this time. If he wanted Young on his team there were probably other very good programs who would have taken him. And Young has the opportunity to fill a need this season. It appears to be a good fit.

Robin Smith 4 years, 2 months ago

Please take a picture of the look of utter surprise on your face when a certain former SDSU player gets drafted in NBA Lottery next Friday.

Then reflect for a minute on how you'd have posted the exact same comment 2 years ago had we somehow acquired the 56th rated recruit (per ESPNU 100) Kawhi Leonard.

Robin Smith 4 years, 2 months ago

note: the above comment is directed to selfishhawk

Jared Grillot 4 years, 2 months ago

Not happy at all. Actually, he's pretty ticked, see the related article about poor sad Coach Fisher.

Dirk Medema 4 years, 2 months ago

Nice addition.

There have been stories about the amazing home the Selfs have, but they must also have rabbits that they are breeding there for as many as Bill keeps pulling out of hats.

jaybate 4 years, 2 months ago

Earlier today I dry-washed about lesser players not leaping at opps to play at KU.

Now I can stop.

Way to seize the moment, Kevin.

Way to go, Coach Self!

You didn't even have to hire Kevin's dad.

And Kevin will be much easier to type than Deandre. :-)

Rock Chalk!

FoCoCoHawk 4 years, 2 months ago

Kevin, you have just joined the best extended family you could find anywhere. From Oakley to Pittsburgh, from Junction City to Liberal, you will never have to pay for another drink. OK, maybe from Baldwin to LeCompton...but you get the idea,.

jaybate 4 years, 2 months ago

And from earth (most of us) to Pluto (Scott Pollard).

ahpersecoachingexperience 4 years, 2 months ago

Hcbs is really putting the "in self we trust" motto to the test this season!;)

sources close to the situation say: KY glides to the hole KY sometimes dribbles of his leg KY doesn't take that long to warm up.

nuleafjhawk 4 years, 2 months ago

Lord, I apologize (for ahperse) and be with the starvin pygmies down there in New Guinea. Amen. LCG

ahpersecoachingexperience 4 years, 2 months ago

Ha!

Actually had 72 different "KY" and Tyshawn jokes but none of them would of made it past the censors.

John Randall 4 years, 2 months ago

Do you expect it will still seem 'cool' to pretend such aloofness a year from now, or will you be joining the rampant speculation on all-conf or higher accomplishments?

jaybate 4 years, 2 months ago

Self always wants to be able to play it anyway they want. Now he can go as thin as they want to go.

The All-Monofilament Team:

1 Nadiir 2 BenMac 3 Justin 4 Kevin 5 Jeff

The team will run a new double pick offense in which all picks include two guys picking six inches apart, or just wide enough for out thin line-up to slip through the gap and get to the rim.

This team will be especially effective in humid venues in March/April, where you need guys that can "slice" through the air.

Robert Brock 4 years, 2 months ago

KU has nobody on the squad who is a dynamite shooter from three. Say hello to a lot of zones this coming season.

JHawk74 4 years, 2 months ago

Are you sure we don't have a dynamite shooter? Let's wait and see who develops this summer before saying we don't have a shooter. Releford, Johnson and Teahan shows signs of being good outside shooters. Taylor might improve also.

fancy80 4 years, 2 months ago

His former coach had nothing but good things to say about him. Three pt. Percentage is around 30 percent but that isn't his game really. Much more of a slasher and offensive putback guy. I'm excited to see what he has. Welcome to Lawrence Kevin!!! RCJH go KU!!

ccarp 4 years, 2 months ago

Long, 2yrs in D1, represented his nation in U19 games, and a year of coaching experience! Sounds like solid add to me!!!! Welcome, Kevin, your commitment is why I never stopped refreshing the browser since the end of the late signing period. :-)

johninkc1 4 years, 2 months ago

WELCOME & CONGRATULATIONS! It is nice to know that a player can visit KU, fall in love with the campus, coaches and players & make a decision without all the drama. Kevin sounds like he wants to be a Jayhawk. That goes a long way with me. No more spilled milk, just have fun & win! Rock Chalk!

matlockhawk 4 years, 2 months ago

Hey "He is happy to be here." Unlike some overrated one and dones that have darkened our hallways recently. That is a good thing. Welcome young man! We will be happy to have you here.

jgkojak 4 years, 2 months ago

This is great news - he sounds like a 'glue' guy at Forward - someone who can immediately switch out with either Withey/T-Rob or Releford at the 3 --

remember all that Xavier/Selby ego stuff that harmed the team the past 2 years - sounds like we get all the benefits of having an out of the box - ready to go player without any of the baggage - nice.

Also- probably indicates Withey just isn't progressing as much as the coaching staff wants and they know they need someone else inside.

KUfanInFlorida 4 years, 2 months ago

I don't think this guy is any good. I mean, he played at Loyola and only scored 10 points per game.

RockChalk26 4 years, 2 months ago

Just like the players at VCU and NDSU who only score 10 points per game. They weren't any good, were they?

It doesn't matter how many points he averaged at Loyola. This is a new system for Kevin and HCBS does a good job showcasing players' strengths.

KUfanInFlorida 4 years, 2 months ago

Why are you comparing Kansas to VCU, NDSU. I mean, these are one hit wonders just like George Mason back in 2005. Come on!!!

KUfanInFlorida 4 years, 2 months ago

I see your point, but he played in Loyola, so he probably should've been their leading scorer. Now, I do like his rebounding, so hopefully he'll be a good rebounder.

Once again, anything can happen in a one game elimination type of tournament. What if they played best of 7 game series? Just a thought. That's why I love March Madness because upsets do happen. It's totally unpredictable.

John Randall 4 years, 2 months ago

There is a lot of ground between 'not any good' and '5 star talent'.

LMU is a small school in a one-bid league, but they play some quality basketball.

This player not only shows tons of energy and stamina, but also the good sense to spend a year becoming more "academically fit" for a program like KU, which he seems to regard as nirvana, and that doesn't add up to 'not any good'; at least on my score sheet.

KUfanInFlorida 4 years, 2 months ago

Well, we'll just have to see how he plays during the season.

Martin Rosenblum 4 years, 2 months ago

HCBS's KY for KU vs KY at MSG in NYC on ESPN....RCJH

Alohahawk 4 years, 2 months ago

How about: KU's KY KO's UK (Kensucky) in NYC's MSG.

master16 4 years, 2 months ago

this is a great player to recruit, it's players like this that will help KU come together. remember the #1 ranked Selby and how that turned out? we don't need a bunch of name brand players to win big, Young is coming in with experience and maturity (hopefully) as a junior and will help our big men out.

Martin Rosenblum 4 years, 2 months ago

Plus, we can depend on him not being a OAD or leaving to go somewhere else for more playing time.

waywardJay 4 years, 2 months ago

Unless he pole vaults into the stratosphere playing alongside Thomas.... Wit Double teams there will be tons of weakside oppurtunities for a leaper.

Think Tyrus Thomas and Glen Davis.

Jeremy Bolinger 4 years, 2 months ago

You lost me at "we dont need a bunch of name brand players to win big." Yes, you do. Who besides Reed and Morningstar contributed to our success last year? Name brand players! While I like this kid over the high school recruit from Cally that couldnt even get sniffed by pepperdine or Cal State Fullerton, I hate having to take guys like this. This is no Seth Curry, who didnt even hardly contribute to Duke this season. Nothing excites me about this kind of player. Sell our program a little better during the season to HIGH SCHOOL PLAYERS and you dont have to fall back on option C or D players.

nuleafjhawk 4 years, 2 months ago

I think he's referring to "name brand players" like possibly Selby or Henry who didn't contribute the way they were expected to, for whatever reasons. You can build good teams, no GREAT teams around talented, hard working, "no-name" players. How do you sell Kansas any better - during the season or otherwise? We're KANSAS, man. You don't have to sell that. You know why you don't see many Walmart ads on TV? Everybody already knows who they are. And no, I'm not comparing KU to Walmart, but I'm sure someone will find a way to twist that around. We will be just fine. Self is no dummy. If the guy can't help our team, he wouldn't have signed him.

ku1otaku 4 years, 2 months ago

Someone please explain to me how Xavier Henry did not contribute the way he was expected to? What was the unrealistic expectation that everyone keeps referring to? I feel like I have to keep defending his freshmen year, because some KU fans think he was supposed to average 20+ ppg and deliver a national championship.

KUfanInFlorida 4 years, 2 months ago

Well, that team went 32-2. One bad game is all it takes. It's not a best of 7 series.

nuleafjhawk 4 years, 2 months ago

Well, keep in mind that eveyone has different expectations. When a guy like Xavier Henry came to Kansas, ranked anywhere from #1 to, what #5 or #6, in my mind there were VERY high expectations for him. Kevin Durant or Michael Beasley type expectations. He was a good player, but not much different than most good players that come to Kansas. I'm not sure why you feel that you have to defend him in any way, but that's OK. Remember, I'm not knocking his personality or character, just the fact that I don't believe he lived up to all the hype on the court. If I'm wrong, it sure wouldn't be the first time.

ku1otaku 4 years, 2 months ago

I don't know of anyone (excpet maybe you) that thought Xaiver Henry was going to be the next Durant or Beasley. That's why I said the expectations were unrealistic.

nuleafjhawk 4 years, 2 months ago

Yep, I am positive that I'm the only one that had high expectations for X. I forgot that top rated players are only expected to perform well when they go to Texas or K-State. When they decide to come to KU, they can just be average and know that the "real" fans will say that expectations were too high for them.

Not that PPG is the only thing that defines a good player, but Henry averaged slightly less than Markieff Morris did this year. I don't recall Markieff being the #1 recruit in the country, but I guess it's good that he wasn't or he would have convinced Marcus to go to K-State.

ku1otaku 4 years, 2 months ago

You're comparing the ppg stats of a freshmen to that of a third year player! Not to mention that Henry was NEVER intended to be the "man" on that team. It was Sherron's team. He knew it. Bill Self knew it. Apparently, every KU fan knew it except you. There was no disappointment in his freshmen year except for the fact that he didn't deliver a national championship as the "missing piece" for KU that year like we expected. From that standpoint, yes, it was a disappointment. From a statistical standpoint and performance standpoint, I say he lived up to expectations.

nuleafjhawk 4 years, 2 months ago

ku1 - It's all good. Like I said earlier, we all have different hopes and expectations - for individuals and for certain teams. If I have high hopes for .....Henry and Selby and I'm disappointed, that's pretty much my problem. If you were happy with them, that's great for you. I'm not being facetious. Happy Father's Day - I hope you have a great day!

ku1otaku 4 years, 2 months ago

You're right...it is all good. I hope you didn't take what I said too personal. I just like to argue/debate sports (especially KU sports) and sometimes a different tone can be communicated on message boards than the original intent. By the way, Happy Father's day to you too!

nuleafjhawk 4 years, 2 months ago

ku1 - I did not take any of our banter personally (I kinda wanted to there for JUST a second! lol) and I hope you didn't either! How boring would it be if we all had the same opinion about everything? I totally agree about how our thoughts and words can sometimes be misinterpreted. Wish these dang computers had INFLECTION! haha. And thank you - I had a great Father's day - got to go fishing with my son and we actually caught quite a few. RCJH!

Jeremy Bolinger 4 years, 2 months ago

Here is where we disagree. How can a man like John Calipari continue to land top recruiting classes one after another, all the while winning 30 games a year? He is a hell of a salesman, thats how. His style is perfect for guards, much like ours is for bigs. But in the last recruiting season, when we signed Braden Anderson and Jamari Traylor, how is it not possible that we didnt do better than that. I dont care who is we lost, which was just the Morris twins. After T-Rob, there is 0 proven depth. Withey hasn't shown much, and even then we are very thin. And we land on these 2. Self has to be a better salesman than that. I dont want to be a perennial conference champion who doesnt win squat when it matters. I want more national championships. I want a buzz surrounding our program where guys like Perry Ellis commit on the spot when offered. Im tired of the cream de la crem of high school prospects passing us up when we need them.

nuleafjhawk 4 years, 2 months ago

I agree with you about Calipari being a great salesman. Throw Roy in there too. But I don't think you should sell Self short as a good salesman either. He's landed some pretty darned good recruits in his time. It's only 7:24 am, and I'm feeling too lazy to look them up, but last year it was Selby, the year before Henry. EVERYONE in the country wanted them and they wound up here. I know that we all love KU and we all want the top talent (every single one of them!) here, but hey - kids love Kentucky and North Carolina and YouConn and .......Bucknell too. We can't get every good recruit. And please don't get too wrapped up in the numbers game. Just look at Marcus and Markieff - they were not highly sought after. Self (and all of our other coaches) can mold good players into really good or even great players.

John Randall 4 years, 2 months ago

Since you are so willing to equate a team's excellence on the court with the ephemeral rankings from recruiting services out to make a buck, would I be asking too much of you to at least know "crème de la crème" is a phrase from the French elitist establishment, where there is no appreciation whatsoever for such aphorisms as, "Don't just tell me – show me something!"

I suppose the NBA finals, or cumulative NCAA w-l records over the last decade aren't relevant, since they are contrary to your worship of bragging rights based on yet-to-be-proven assumptions.

Forgive me for being crass, but you can have your choice of top ten ranks and let me gather players with fire in the gut to match talent of slightly less hoopla – I'll whip your @$$ three out of four times.

Jeremy Bolinger 4 years, 2 months ago

By the way, we better land Tarczewski and Perry Ellis. Or our frontline could be very bad in 2012-2013

waywardJay 4 years, 2 months ago

Personally, I will let his play on the floor do the talking. We've been sold bill of goods with "top flight" ju-co kids before...... Ashante Johnson for one. We've had some pretty worthless major college transfers like Axtell and Earl.....

This one appears to be different. Wants to come in and be a contributor... wants to be a part of the team. that is starting to look deeper and deeper.

Tyshawn, Elijah, Travis, Thomas and Jeff

with

Kevin, Naadir, Ben and Jamari as first subs....

Connor and Braedon as needed....

Certainly it's no NBA roster.... but I've seen conference champions field much less.

Ann Oneill 4 years, 2 months ago

Everyone keeps mentionion Withey in the starting five, but unfortunately, I just don't see it.

KUfanInFlorida 4 years, 2 months ago

I agree with ya on that. I wasn't excited about this player at all as I mentioned in my earlier post. I mean, there is no reason why Self shouldn't be getting 4-5 star recruits to commit especially when we lost 7 players to graduation, transfers and NBA. I am waiting to see the 2012 recruiting class to see if he can land some talent.

KUfanInFlorida 4 years, 2 months ago

I see your points, but we haven't got the verbal commitments from them yet. The only player with a verbal commitment is Zach Peters. If let's say Kaleb Tarcezewski and Nino Jackson give KU verbal commitments, then it looks much better for recruting.

Kenny Terry 4 years, 2 months ago

Welcome to Kansas Kevin and enjoy your time here playing in the best venue in college basketball . Rock Chalk Jayhawk

jaybate 4 years, 2 months ago

"Some Possible Nicknames for Kevin Young"

The Young and the Relentless--tireless worker with good motor

Kevin Heaven--Takes to Wayne Simien's ministry

Kevinth Heaven--the ecstasy resulting from him making a big play

Kevin Leaven--the ingredient that makes the bread rise, as in he is the final ingredient to bake this team into a great loaf of pan levain.

KYJ--as in KY Jelly, as in very slippery offensive moves.

Tony Bandle 4 years, 2 months ago

That last comment is pretty offensive, all right! :)

nuleafjhawk 4 years, 2 months ago

Here is an intersting article that I stumbled across. If you read any of this, please read the last paragraph of the writer's article. It may not necessarily apply to our team this year, but then again it might.

Sun Jul 12, 2009 03:14pm EDT

No stars? No problem. USA's under-19 team wins world champs By Chris Chase

Since 1991, the American teams at the under-19 world basketball championships have featured some of the biggest names in college basketball. Michael Beasley, Stephen Curry, Jonny Flynn, J.J. Redick, Deron Williams, Nick Collison, Steve Logan, Vince Carter and Stephon Marbury have all represented the United States in the championships, but to marginal success. In the four tournaments since then, those star-driven American teams have earned two silvers and finished out of the medals twice. Leave it to the most-non descript team in nearly two decades to bring gold back to the States.

Not that the American team was comprised of a bunch of scrubs. Seth Curry (Duke) and Tyshawn Taylor (Kansas), in particular, figure to make a lot of noise in coming years in NCAA basketball), but there was far less star power than usual on the 2009 roster. With colleges eager to keep young players on campus for the summer months and with young players just as eager to try to improve their games at places like the LeBron James' Skills Academy (especially when dunking on the host is a keynote event), USA basketball had more trouble filling out the roster than usual.

Perhaps the lack of stars is what propelled Team USA to an undefeated record in the U19 tournament this time around. (The Jamie Dixon-led team earned the gold with an 88-80 victory over Greece this weekend.) The ego-driven USA basketball teams of the middle part of this decade suffered from the lack of team mentality. The return to the top of the medal stand didn't happen until the roster was compiled with more of a team concept in mind rather than collecting the best talent. Could it be that getting forced into a less-talented roster ended up improving the team?

nuleafjhawk 4 years, 2 months ago

drgnslayr - it's fun to be able to find an outlet for your frustrations and also hopefully make a comment once in a while that will make sense to someone else. I appreciate your comment very much. Thanks.

Josh Galler 4 years, 2 months ago

didn't he played for the Royals in the 1990's? Kevin Young played some 1B then

skijamin 4 years, 2 months ago

This class reminds me of the Kaun/Jackson/Robinson class that featured no stars but instead had a bunch of 4 year players with a good work ethic and something to prove. It's these kind of recruits that stick around for 4 years and eventually provide the experience necessary to win a championship. When these guys mature in two years and HCBS brings in another top 3 class, we will be championship ready. In the meantime, I hope that TT, TRob, TRel and the other returnees will surprise the basketball experts and win another BigXII championship and more!

Annette Lee 4 years, 2 months ago

Great save Coach! What about Andre Walker? I could be getting greedy. RCJH

JayDocMD 4 years, 2 months ago

Now that K.Y. is on board for the next 2 years, I say try to sign the Walker kid from Vanderbilt for additional depth (1 year eligibility left) and then yank the schollie offers from all the rest of these ingrates who didn't jump at their once in a lifetime chance to play at The Birthplace of Basketball.

Best part: still plenty of PT to shop to Mr. Ellis and Mr. Tarczewski in 2012. Although, I must say I'm pretty nervous about Duke's involvement with Perry. I've never been worried about Kentucky, Memphis, or WSU (ha ha - sorry, couldn't type that last one with a straight face.) Unfortunatley, I can definitely see him getting sucked into that Pseudo - Ivy League black hole.

Jeremy Bolinger 4 years, 2 months ago

We better land those 2. Those 2 are absolutely must gets!

LaJHawk666 4 years, 2 months ago

I, too, am glad we got this kid. The risk/reward--two years of experience and only two years' worth of schollies--seems to have great upside.

But is it me or do we have a lot of big men at a time when we're hoping to recruit some great big men in the class of '12? Caleb is a center, so that may not matter, but we got Zach Peters with a verbal, and I know we all want Perry.

My guess is that Anderson (or maybe Traylor) will transfer after next year if we sign Ellis or someone else that good. And if we sign Ellis or someone else that good, I wouldn't be shocked if Peters decommitted.

Since TRob is our only proven big man, all of this "depth" at the 4/5 is good for next year, but I wonder how all of this recruiting of 3-star forwards will play out down the road.

Thoughts?

Also, after watching the youtube video of Jayhawk nebie Young that kkoenig kindly shared with us, I think he looks more like a small forward (lots of jump shots along with the post play).

RCJH

JayDocMD 4 years, 2 months ago

We will have no problem advertising plenty of opportunity to not only play, but start for both Kaleb and Perry.

Unless he gets injured, TRob is gone after this year. Unless B Anderson, Traylor or Young morphs into the second-coming of Charles Barkley, Ellis would start at the four as a Freshman.

Withey will be a Senior in 2012 and perhaps a role-player, depending on how much he progresses. We have NO depth at the 5. Tarczewski could start as a Freshman - at worst, he's the first big off the bench.

Woody Cragg 4 years, 2 months ago

06 freshmen helped win the NC in 08...let em' play through it.

JayDocMD 4 years, 2 months ago

I forgot to mention Zach. I think he will be the 2012 recruit most affected by these signings. The log jam will occur with the guys looking to be that 7-8th player in the rotation. This is where I saw Peters contributing his first couple of years. He will now have to outplay Anderson/Young/Traylor for PT as a Freshman. One of these 4 would definitely be a candidate for a red-shirt.

Make_Ur_Free_Throws 4 years, 2 months ago

Welcome Kevin! You have chosen well!(-:

Noticed on a previous story that he was listed as "coachable" which is a good trait on a team sport! Also means he probably has an under control ego, which probably comes from more maturity and experience.

Or maybe I'm just reading in what I want to see . . . guess we'll see! (-:

LaJHawk666 4 years, 2 months ago

Thanks for your thoughts, JayDocMD. (My phone won't let me reply directly below your reply.)

Don't forget about Wesley! I know he's only a walk-on, but some people seem to think well of him. He'll probably end up merely a situational reserve, though.

I think 'log jam' is a good word to describe having whithey, traylor, anderson, wesley, peters and (hopefully) caleb and perry (assuming TRob leaves after a stellar 2011-12). Something's gotta give by way of redhirt(s) and/or transfers.

Walker would give us depth at the guard for next year w/o effecting recruiting next year. Should we sign him?

JayDocMD 4 years, 2 months ago

By Walker I assume you mean Andre Walker - he is a PF and if he'll come, I think we should take him. I see no downside from KU's standpoint.

If I were him, however, I wouldn't risk being a bench-warmer for my one and only remaining year of eligibility. And with KY now coming, that seems like an even greater possibility.

You're right about Wesley also being an option. I guess I view it as all of these guys (Anderson, Traylor, Wesley, and Young) are fighting for the same minutes.

IMO, Wesley will get only mop up minutes and, as mentioned, one of the others will eventually red-shirt (hopefully after the arrival of a high-ranking incoming class of 2012.)

I wouldn't be surprised if there is a transfer somewhere down the road, but that's not Self's problem to worry about. He is doing his job by signing as many candidates as possible to fill the areas of need, while still maintaining scholarship flexibilty to sign the big fish.

Woody Cragg 4 years, 2 months ago

Open note to Mr. Young,

You've just joined an elite fraternity of education and athletics. Make the most of your oportunities & choose well. You'll receive great support no matter what, even if the chips get down. Enjoy your time as a young man and help us get another NC banner for the greatest arena in sports. Good luck & welcome to Lawrence. Now... get ready for BOOT CAMP!

lee3022 4 years, 2 months ago

Welcome to Lawrence, Kevin. May your time here be at the very top of your life experiences when you look back from old age. This is a very special place with very special people.

Mike Kendall 4 years, 2 months ago

Make them the best two years of your life, Kevin! Make us proud! Welcome aboard---Rock Chalk!

REHawk 4 years, 2 months ago

Welcome aboard, Kevin! The Jayhawk Nation has long awaited the commitment of a bright, experienced tall player to join Jayhawk hoops this quickly approaching 2011-12 season. From what I have read, you appear to be a player who could make a huge difference for Bill Self and company. We have grown weary and disgruntled at the number of wishy-washy young talents who have shopped our program, then hovered indecisively before moving on to schools where more playing time or possibly more "benefits" serve as a lure. Your opportunistic speed at reaching the decision to come to Lawrence is not only mature and admirable but also a source of excitement for devout followers of all things Kansas Basketball. Here's wishing you much success in making the most of the splendid training program, coaching and array of possibilities which will enrich your life as a student-athlete. Be forewarned that we will follow closely and discourse freely regarding most of your public actions as a heralded young Jayhawk. Spend your days in earnest, bear yourself with dignity, and you will become forever one of the revered remembrances in the annals of Kansas Hoops. Rock Chalk!

jaybate 4 years, 2 months ago

"Recruitoholics Anonymous--a 12-Step Program for Coping with Recruiting Dependence:"

1. I will put my faith in a higher authority--Bill Self.

2. When I feel compelled to say getting highly ranked recruits is the most important thing in the world, I will chant repeatedly that Gianni Calipari hasn't won diddly with his highly ranked recruits.

3. When I feel like dissing our recruits for not being highly ranked, I will give myself a hot wax on the most sensitive part of my body.

4. I will teach anyone to smoke filterless cigarettes and drink bad coffee, once they find themselves blacked out in an alley clutching a piece of scrap paper with the RIvals.com URL on it.

5. Anyone who calls me in the middle of the night shrieking "I have just eaten over four pounds of computer printout about recruits we did not land" can count on me to come over and talk them through a clinical strength laxative experience.

6. If you have memorized the PPG, MPG and RPG stats for more than 4 Top 5 recruits at a position, I will come to your house and put the rubber bit between your teeth when you receive electro convulsive shock treatment.

7. When you have quit using the "boss button" on your favorite recruiting web site and insist on wearing your wireless keyboard rectally, I will come and read you these twelve steps until you agree to start coming back with me to meetings.

8. When you let your wife and children go hungry, because you have spent all your paycheck on sign-up fees for recruiting services, I will come and challenge you to a game of Delirium Tremens at the local Club Dry Out Spa of your choice.

9. As a reformed recruitoholic myself, I promise to teach you about the dangers of keeping loaded firearms in your house during the late signing period.

10. If you become fecally impacted more than twice in one week, because an OAD recruit cannot make up his mind about where he is going by the signing deadline, I will take you to a health spa and pay for not one but two high colonics.

11. When a Number 1 recruit in the country busts as a freshman and you entertain fantasies of soaking yourself in Bacardi 151 rum and self-immolating, I will come and spray crimson and blue, fire retardent foam on you while reciting the 103rd Psalm in igPay atinLay.

12. When a 17 year old changing his mind about where he is going to school 143 out of 145 days causes you to develop testicle hives, I will buy you the calamine lotion but will not apply it for you.

(Note: All fiction. No Malice.)

FoCoCoHawk 4 years, 2 months ago

"My name is John and I'm a hawkaholic. And I will always be a hawkaholic. I come to these meetings to help me find new ways of not embarrassing myself with my hawkaholism...like when I created a public spectacle in a KCI bar greeting Larry Brown...or when I ran into Roy coming out of the counseling center in Bailey Hall and offered free throw shooting advice. Or the countless times I've called complete strangers 'dookies' for cutting me off in traffic or something. I no longer cruise YouTube for videos of obscure 8th graders who could fill our front line void in 2017 but I still visit board sites to find out...well, everything. One thing I've learned is that hawkaholics are legion and that they are all here for me and each other. Years of agnosticism have instilled in me a deep suspicion of all that 'higher power' nonsense but over the last few years I've really come to accept it as BS."

jaybate 4 years, 2 months ago

Brother FoCo,

It is good to see you at the meeting. Would you like a Lucky Strike, or may I offer you the Bull Durham I just rolled?

jaybate 4 years, 2 months ago

"Some Playground Slang for a Basketball Court from Countries Around the World : "

New Guinea--A Papua Dinner Table

Democratic Republic of the Congo--Congoleum

Iraq--A wooden prayer rug.

Mexico--A maple tostada

Canada--a wooden curling sheet

Russia--a Piroshki Parquet

Martin Rosenblum 4 years, 2 months ago

A few domestic additions to Jaybate's list:

Rucker Park in NYC -- Boulevard of broken dreams

Bramlage (K-State) -- Deeded to KSU, owned by KU

Allen Fiedhouse -- Paved with stilts

jaybate 4 years, 2 months ago

Rucker Park = BOBDs = wow, you beat me. Props.

waywardJay 4 years, 2 months ago

Pauley Pavillion - The Parq-ing lot.

Rupp Arena - Anton LeVay School of Fine Economic Principles.

Mackey Arena - The Comb-over Dome.

Ben Simonett 4 years, 2 months ago

6'8" shooting guard?

he might see some time at the 3 but at 6'8" Self is going to stick him in the post, look what he did with Marcus last year.

SDSurferFan 4 years, 2 months ago

this sux for sdsu. Im a fan of both schools but this was a steal job by Self. Fisher is pissed....read below. Everyone knows that KU doesn't get the top/top recruits and obviousy this year has bee a lot of retreads in recruiting.

"I'm disappointed that a young man who I am very fond of would not feel an obligation to honor an eight-month commitment," Aztecs coach Steve Fisher said. "And I'm equally disappointed in a program and coach I'm very fond of to pursue a player who made an eight-month commitment." Unfortunately," Fisher said, "the only people who suffer in this situation is us because we passed over three or four very talented players because we did honor our commitment."

Michael Auchard 4 years, 2 months ago

It's a down year, for sure, in regards to Rivals rankings, but we did get the No. 1-ranked player in the country last year. Can't get much more "top/top recruit" than that, son.

Michael Auchard 4 years, 2 months ago

That's really beside the point in regards to your statement. You stated that we don't get the best-ranked players in the country, I say that's an absolute fabrication and I could back that up with easy-to-verify data. What the players do after the ranking is a completely different issue.

Obviously, Selby didn't live up to the hype. Hopefully Kevin Young will over achieve to make up for it.

SDSurferFan 4 years, 2 months ago

Howd they rank this year? UNC , UK, Duke gets first dibs then ku gets the top/top scraps. How can Selby be the top ranked? Shows how pointless those rankings are!

jayhawktalk 4 years, 2 months ago

Can't blame Fisher or SDSU fans for being upset, who woudn't be?

That said, we may never know the details behind what led up to KY's decision. Who reached out to whom, and when, etc.

I am reasonably certain Fisher would, if the roles were reversed and a player in the same situation reached out to him, not turn his back and walk away. He certainly had no issues welcoming Polee with open arms, which may very well have heavily influenced KY's change of heart.

John Randall 4 years, 2 months ago

I have no sympathy for any schools that far west, but have to share Steve Fisher's chagrin in this episode.

It bothers me more than a little when HCBS skirts so close to the edges of what is proper vs what we can get away with as has seemed the case in regard to this (non-)signing and the fiasco of Zavvy-aire's signing/un-signing/new signing. Having one of the premier basketball programs in the country really should exempt us from this kind of after-thought scavenging among late term turnarounds, IMHO.

Maybe K.Young always had hopes of a better destination than WCC or MtnWest, or perhaps of KU in particular, but keeping the SDSU commitment in his pocket so long and then tearing it up is the kind of thing that will draw incoming fire from all directions ... for both the school and the player to share for a while.

JayDocMD 4 years, 2 months ago

Who cares what this Al Davis lookalike thinks. Who is Fisher to judge KY for heading towards greener pastures. It's not like KY made a lateral move to say St. Mary's or Gonzaga. This is Kansas basketball. SDSU had a good run last year, but as far as tradition and basketball pedigree, they are not in the same stratosphere as KU.

There is no legal obligation for KY to play for SDSU. People can talk about moral obligations all they want, but to them I pose this question: What if (after the world's biggest brainfart) KU AD Sheahon Zenger fired Self and offered Steve Fisher the head coach job at KU. With the roles reversed, do you think Fisher stays at SDSU due to his moral obligation to KY and the other recruits he signed? ummmm, no. Fisher needs to get off his high horse.

ku1otaku 4 years, 2 months ago

I'm pretty sure if Steve Fisher signed a six agreement with SDSU and some bigger name school came calling with loads of money and he took the job in year 3 or 4 he wouldn't feel the same way. Isn't that essentially the same thing? He is talking about not honoring a committment.

SDSurferFan 4 years, 2 months ago

Come to the table with value. Are u still in high school?

JayDocMD 4 years, 2 months ago

The table was set. We feasted. Now you can clear it for us.

What did your commment even mean? Why don't you address the points I make instead countering with an ironic questioning of my age.

Joe Baker 4 years, 2 months ago

Fisher is an odd man. If you compete with the big boys of bball, you suffer like the big boys. KU has it's share of many recruiting flops. We deserve some breaks and Young was a nice break.

Jack Wilson 4 years, 2 months ago

Given a day to consider the addition of Young - 1. If we get 10 points, 5 boards, this will be a major coup. But don't expect 10 points per game in our system.
2. drgnslayr is right on .. potential major playing time this season, then a reassessment after this season. 3. Look at the quote from the KC Star today that didn't make it into the article above: "Good said Young is not a 'serious threat in the half court offensively but is capable of changing the game in the open floor.'" Isn't the half-court offense our bread and butter? 4. Again. Just as with Anderson and Traylor, tempering any excitement here is the most reasonable thing to do. This guy is a piece to the puzzle for 2012. Can he help? Sure. Needed add? Definitely. Let's just see how he plays out.
5. The pursuit and addition of Young validates the prior suggestions not to get giddy over Anderson/Traylor .. Self obviously was not content in placing significant reliance on the unproven combo (as it seemed some on this message board believed was reasonable). Always trying to improve the team is really the approach, all the time. 6. I am a bit concerned about the immediate impact by Young given the fact that he didn't play last season. I'm also concerned when his coach says, basically, that he's not much of a threat in the half court offense. However, it sounds like this guy has a number of positives, including being a 100% effort guy. 7. As with any player that enters Allen wearing the crimson and blue, his success will be determined by how he adjusts to coach Self's system. And whether the young man can understand Self's defensive demands, and whether he will commit to playing defense. 8. The odds increased that we will get an adequate player as a first in off the bench player at the 4 spot, now with 4 to choose from instead of 3. 9. And without seeing the Young function with our team, what if he comes in, is mature, and motivated, can play D .. and is improved in the half court due to our system .. does he threaten Withey in the starting lineup? That is dreaming. Really, though, we want Withey to seize the job. 10. Glass half full.

hawksfan08 4 years, 2 months ago

The fact that Steve Fisher, who is a great coach, is that upset about losing this kid tells me that he could be very, very good. That said, I'm tempering any expectation until I see him play.

Clarence Haynes 4 years, 2 months ago

Fisher isn't a saint:

In 1997, after it was revealed that Maurice Taylor had visited Ed Martin, a retired Ford electrician, the school launched an investigation. After the investigators questioned Fisher's role in arranging complimentary tickets for Martin, Fisher was fired a week before practice began for the 1997-98 season.

Jack Wilson 4 years, 2 months ago

SDSurferFan/KUinSD: The whole game of recruiting is sleazy deal. Period. It's a system that places all of the power with the kid .. until he signs a LOI. Once he signs the LOI, the power then rests with the University. Everyone knows that. Fisher knew that. If you have a kid that is not bound to the university by the LOI, a coach has to know that he could back out and leave, or change his mind. Planning includes that possibility. Ideally, we'd want coach Self to always take the high road .. but out of the other side of our mouths we demand a national championship (or some demand conference titles as their milestone of success -- jab intended with a smiley face). I don't have the answer. But I do know that I want my coach to follow the rules, be ethical, and win national championships. It's the ethical standard that is the gray area .. meaning what is customary and acceptable in the business. Apologies to Fisher, certainly, but this is par for the course of college basketball.

See the link below on what is going on at Arkansas. The kid committed to Pelphrey, and now gets Anderson. But the commitment is technically to the university, as we all know.

Tony Bandle 4 years, 2 months ago

Just a simple, non-partisan, apolitical comment with no intent to demean or praise, but does anyone else think that Mr. Young resembles a certain individual currently residing in the White House?

KansasComet 4 years, 2 months ago

Nice addition to the team. Hopefully, he can blend in with the rest of the squad. I for one was already satisfied with the team. I think we will be fine this year, and just as good as last year. I just hope we can produce come tournament time. As long as the ole "pucker factor" doesn't eat us alive, we should be fine. I am satisfied at every position. I think we are an excellent blend of youth and experience. Go Jayhawks! Not many teams have a 5-star guard returning for their junior season. There is a lot to be exited about this upcoming season. We were counted out last year, and I thought we did quite well. We the exception of the awful game in the Elite 8, we played some pretty good ball.

AZHawk72 4 years, 2 months ago

Holy, irony! And welcome, Mr. Young. A number of us wondered why DeAndre was considering, of all places, San Diego State. "Currently, the Aztecs have only eight scholarship players." Yeah, but they had a commitment from a thin, 6-8 small forward who played the same position as DeAndre and did fairly well in his first two years. Did DeAndre drop SDSU due to the impending arrival of Mr. Young, whom he might have to compete with for playing time? If so, this is one bizarre circular series of events.

The two things that have me stoked about the arrival of Mr. Young: we don't really have a true small forward--true, both Travis and BMac are "wings," but they're better outside than in while K.Y. appears better in than out; and, based on comments by coaches, we gained a recruit who doesn't include in his package "some assembly required."

If TRob and K.Y. are on the court at the same time, there won't be a cellphone ever needing a recharge.

odc213 4 years, 2 months ago

this should be the last addition. 13 is good. No reason to add another player that is a juco transfer. Keep it. We will load up next year.

LaJHawk666 4 years, 2 months ago

Yes, Fisher losing a player who had given a verbal sucks for him and SDSU, but whining about "pass(ing) over 3 or 4 very talented players" rings as nonsense with them having 5 schollies left to offer. Maybe the problem is that he's at a school where they can't find 13 great/good/decent players willing to play for them, even with the awesome weather and surfing potential.

I'm glad we got Young. I think he could very well be the second guy off the bench after BenMac, assuming the TT, EJ, TRel, TRob, Withey starting five, with Withey being the biggest question mark. And a 6-8 small forward could lead to some great MUAs (match-up advantages). Also, I love his attitude.

Self didn't "steal" Young; he recruited a player that wanted to come here instead of SDSU. Recruiting is cut-throat, and most of the power lies with the players who play, more or less, for free. Welcome (back) to the Big League, Mr. Fisher.

RCJH

REHawk 4 years, 2 months ago

I think we are now good to go. If an experienced center or power forward should spring forth, I can see Self jumping at the bait. Otherwise, Danny already has his work cut out for 2011-12. Jayhawks possess lotsa fine puzzle pieces to sand and polish. If player attitude stays upbeat, and major injury doesn't cast doom, we can make another strong run at some significant titles and finishes.

jaybate 4 years, 2 months ago

I agree with our potential to challenge, but think we ought to go ahead and give one more scholie now if Ryan will accept.

We have two rides left and we know Tyshawn and Conner are gone, and TRob is 99% gone; that's five rides next year, if we stand pat.

We don't need five rides next year.

I still want Self to sign the player that once was headed to Pitino and the Ville--Ryan someone.

Sign Ryan and KU is two deep this coming year on the perimeter and experienced and loaded for the season after, when the goal is land Kaleb and Perry, retain Peters, and vacuum up perimeter players the following season to replace EJ and Travis.

Really, thread rats are not appreciating it right now, but Self has filled the larder in amazing fashion.

Most fans (and coaches) think go get the 4-5 stars first, then patch and fill with lessers.

But Self just did what he always does. He played take what they give me. Because of the Twins' and Selby's uncertain departures, Self had little opportunity of landing the 4-5 star guys. But he at least got one in BenMac. So: after Self had been negative recruited against for Scalpinggate and Lew Gate, and after Self had been negative recruited against for having no minutes to give and for recruiting too much talent, Self took what they gave him--the three to no stars and the decommits. And Self shopped slot by slot to land back-ups now for the 4-5 stars that will be landed next year and need experienced backups while the 4-5 stars are cutting their teeth the season after next.

Braedon, Jamari and Justin are going to be filling out into serious bangers two seasons from now, when Self also has Brock Peters, Kaleb T, and Perry Ellis starting.

We don't need to save scholies for next season, if we can land a player like Ryan now. If Huggo-Muggo wants him, he's got to be one tough hombre. We need that kind of a backup on the perimeter this coming season now that Little is gone. And Ryan is the kind of player that could play that role for a couple more years, too.

Come on, Ryan, come to Lawrence where something big just continues.

jaybate 4 years, 2 months ago

My first thought was: If a rule were broken, Steve, just say what it was and the kid will be unable to come to KU, and KU would probably get in some hot water.

But since Steve did not mention any rule violation, my second thought was...

Steve Fisher, the former coach of a bunch of players recruited and gaining illegal incentives from a subsequently convicted underworld figure; Steve Fisher, the former coach who left a tsunami of forfeits in his wake reputedly claiming he had no idea any of the shiz was happening for several years on his watch, and while he assisted under another coach's watch, that Steve Fisher is complaining about a de-commit?

Yo, Sky, even Big Julie thinks dat's rich!

How could a guy who misses racketeers hanging with and giving major illegal incentives to his players for years on end, how could that guy even notice that Kevin Young did not show up for summer work-outs?

As Nathan Detroit might have said, "This, Big Julie, with all da respect that is do a very great man such as yourself, this I do not understand."

SDSurferFan 4 years, 2 months ago

I hate when KU fans speak like UK fans. Or Boston fans. Entitlement. Lame.

Martin Rosenblum 4 years, 2 months ago

Off topic, but, strange scheduling news...

Izzo and Ol' Roy will face each other on the U S S Carl Vinson. This will be the first college game ever to be held on an aircraft carrier. The carrier is the one that delivered Bin Laden to his watery grave. An outdoor venue will seat 7000 on deck and the game will be moved into a large facility below in case of bad weather.

Wonder what fate the game's loser will face? Surely there will be no "man overboard", ala Osama!

charlesfenway 4 years, 2 months ago

Don't drink the kool-aid: http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/jun/27/yet-another-twist-loss-sdsu-basketball-recruit/

Enjoy your 6'5 wing srub to go along with all 200 lbs of Kevin Young. Coach Self really is scrapping the bottom of the barrel to replace the Morris twins, eg?? Sounds like an impact package deal to me!!!