Texas defeats Kansas, 74-63

• 3 p.m., Jan. 22, 2011
  • Allen Fieldhouse, Lawrence, KS

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Texas snaps streak, Jayhawks cope with loss of Thomas Robinson’s mother

Kansas forward Thomas Robinson looks to go up against Texas forward Tristan Thompson on January 22, 2011 in Allen Fieldhouse.

Videos

KU vs. Texas

video thumbnail

Texas defeated Kansas, 74-63 at Allen Fieldhouse, ending the Jayhawks' home-game winning streak at 69 on Saturday, Jan. 22, 2011.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self

Kansas coach Bill Self talks to reporters following the Jayhawks' 74-63 loss to Texas on Jan. 22, 2011.

Download podcast

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Texas coach Rick Barnes

Texas coach Rick Barnes talks to reporters following his team's 74-63 victory over Kansas on Jan. 22, 2011, at Allen Fieldhouse.

Download podcast

Thomas Robinson’s baby sister, Jayla Paris, cell-phoned her big brother late Friday night.

The news was the worst possible kind.

Their beloved mother, Lisa, had just died, apparently of a heart attack, in Washington, D.C.

“Thomas couldn’t stop crying. Coach (Bill) Self was there. He cried. It was just real emotional,” Kansas University junior guard Tyshawn Taylor said of an impromptu team gathering in sophomore forward Robinson’s Jayhawker Towers apartment, which began before midnight and lasted well into the wee hours of the morning — the same morning of Saturday’s 74-63 loss to No. 10-ranked Texas in Allen Fieldhouse.

It was a loss that snapped No. 2 KU’s 69-game homecourt winning streak, something that meant so very little to the Jayhawks compared to the heartbreak their teammate, who had two points and five rebounds in eight foul-plagued minutes in Saturday’s game, was going through.

“T-Rob is like my brother. If he’s crying, I’m crying, too,” said Taylor, whose mom, Jeanell, and other mothers of KU players also were in Robinson’s apartment, with Jeanell massaging Robinson’s back for comfort.

“I’ve lost people, but this was different. It just felt kind of like, ‘Dang, I wish I could do something to help him, but I can’t do anything.’ Seeing him hurt like he was hurting last night, it was rough on all of us,” added Taylor, who said he was unable to sleep except maybe an hour, tossing and turning all night.

KU coach Self — he said he spoke with several experts who told him it was important to let Robinson decide whether he wanted to play against Texas — said the scene in Robinson’s room, “was the saddest thing I’ve ever seen in my life.

“But it was probably something that was humbling and also made you proud because those kids and families and everybody ... they do care about each other an awful lot,” Self added.

Self said Lisa Robinson was just 37 years old. Her passing followed the death of Robinson’s grandmother in late December and death of his grandfather, who died a week ago today.

Self said he was told Lisa Robinson had had severe migraines since the death of her mom, which forced a trip to the hospital following her dad’s death.

“What I told our guys ... 16,000 people that were here today and supported us great like they do every game ... they go home sad and disappointed,” Self said. “He (Robinson) is one of those guys. (But) he goes home ... he doesn’t have a mother anymore. It certainly puts everything in perspective because you are going to wake up three or four days from now, and people will be doing their own things, and the world keeps going on, and that’s the reality he’s going to live with the rest of his life.

“It’s unbelievable,” Self went on. “Stop and think about it. He’s got a 9-year-old sister left in his family, and she’s half the country away and how his life has changed so much overnight. It’s a pretty sad thing. People deal with it all the time, and he’ll deal with it like a man, but still your heart certainly hurts for (him) and his family.”

The scene in Allen Fieldhouse was somber before Saturday’s game.

Angel Morris, mother of the Morris twins, called Robinson out of warm-up drills on the south end of the court to give him a big hug and utter words of encouragement.

Marcus Morris, who scored 16 points and grabbed seven rebounds, wept while standing next to Robinson during a moment of silence in the fieldhouse before the game.

“For anybody to lose their mom ... it’s sad to even say anything because you don’t know what to say,” Morris said. “(He’s a) tough kid. To want to come and be with us and still play today ... he showed a lot of toughness. I hope he’ll be OK and get better.”

Tyrel Reed, who had 17 points off 5-of-9 three-point shooting, spoke with wet eyes in the interview room.

“T-Rob is such a young kid and a great teammate, a great person,” Reed said. “I’m just so proud of him the way he’s grown up from the time he was a freshman until now. He’s made such strides. To go through what he’s been through in the last three weeks with all his family, I don’t know of anybody that has happened to. I can only imagine the hurt he’s feeling. I want to be there for him ... tough kid.”

Self called Robinson “a stud” and said he was amazed he played.

“I think in more times like that, you see teams get off to an emotional good start,” Self said. “We played well, too (early). I felt it was emotional. I felt like we didn’t have much gas in the tank in the second half, but a lot of it is because of Texas’ play, too (in outscoring KU, 51-28, the second 20 minutes).”

Self said the result “doesn’t take away from the fact we tried today. It doesn’t take away from the fact Texas played well. We were out there, and since we were out there it was our job to perform. Not to perform so much we’ve got to win the game, but to perform a way if your teammate is willing to be out there under these circumstances, the least we could do is everything we can to sacrifice and make sure we did it as well (as Robinson). We did for a while, but certainly didn’t do that late.”

The Jayhawks (18-1, 3-1) will play Colorado at 7 p.m. Tuesday in Boulder.

Self did not know if Robinson would attend.

“Whatever he needs to do, he needs to do. We’re his family, and so I don’t know what that is yet,” Self said. “We’ll get organized this weekend and figure out what would be the best way for us to help him.”

His teammates and coaches — and mothers of players — will be there for him, that’s for sure.

“T-Rob is a strong dude, man,” Taylor said. “We’ve got his back. He’ll be all right.”

Comments

Paul Rupp 6 years, 6 months ago

Thomas---My heart is there for you. Take care of yourself. Team--take care of Thomas, Rock Chalk.

Travis Osier 6 years, 6 months ago

Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your sister T-Rob.

phi4life940 6 years, 6 months ago

So sad to hear about everything he has been going through. If there is anything Jayhawk Nation could do...we should do it. I'm going to be praying for him and his family and all of Jayhawk Nation.

Be strong T-Rob. We love you.

KD Krase 6 years, 6 months ago

Is there any financial support that can be given? It must be tough supporting his sister, especially with so much of his family gone. Can the Jayhawk Nation set up some kind of a support trust for donations? Now should be a time for T-Rob to be taking care of himself and his sister and trying to recover from all the pain that has happened and not for worrying about anything else.

Brian Conrad 6 years, 6 months ago

these young men give us all great enjoyment watching them play. it is very hard to express the sincere sorrow for Thomas.

Adam Evans 6 years, 6 months ago

Thomas, our thoughts and prayers are with you. That you played today is a testament to your strength of character and heart. We know that you're hurting, but we want you to know that regardless of when you come back to Lawrence, you will have a family tens of thousands strong, from coast to coast. But none as strong as the family of your team. To the rest of our guys, it makes my heart smile to know that you were all there with Thomas, supporting him, feeling his pain, and being brothers to him when he needed it most. We look forward to you coming back soon and being a part of the foundation for a championship season.

Kenny Nall 6 years, 6 months ago

Guess it wouldn't be a rivalry if we won all the time, so props to Texas for making it interesting.

Adam Evans 6 years, 6 months ago

does anyone know if UT has an athletic forum/article comments page similar to KUSports.com or anything? I want to get on and pat them on the back for a job well done.

Adam Evans 6 years, 6 months ago

found one if anyone is interested. You can register with your facebook account. Super easy.

brooksmd 6 years, 6 months ago

To anyone who wants to bash any KU player for their performance in this game, you should be ashamed of yourself. This article puts a whole different perspective on what happened today. As late as many of them were up Friday night, no doubt they were physically and emotionally drained by the second half.

TRob, may God bless and comfort you and your sister.

Rock Chalk!!

Adam Evans 6 years, 6 months ago

Agreed, but I haven't heard any negative Nancys yet. We as a Jayhawk family are showing what it means to be a Jayhawk. Losses be damned. Yeah, they suck, but we stick together as brothers and sisters. TRobs loss was felt through Jayhawk nation. We are showing that to be here for Thomas is more important than whining about a loss. And I agree with brooks completely. If ANYONE gets on here to complain about something regarding the game, you should be ashamed of yourself because you are not a true Jayhawk. But something tells me no one, or very few, will do that. :D

6 years, 6 months ago

As I have stated before, it had to happen sometime... Although blowing a 15 point lead and losing by double digits was not what I expected. What ever adjustments Self might have made at halftime were not nearly as good as those by Barnes. I think the last time we blew such a large lead at home was against Arizona in the Williams era.

I don't remember who said it, but I agree that if Reed and Morningstar are our best guards then we will not go far in the NCAA.

This was our first real test against a top 25 team and we failed miserably. Texas looks like they are the best team in the Big 12. Other than Reed, we do not have a consistent 3 point shooter. I have no idea what happened to Selby... After his great start, he has not progressed as most of us expected.
EJ looks completely baffled. I know that I had hoped he would replace Taylor.
Now I wonder if he can play at this level. Today, we were outplayed and out coached in just about every facet of the game.

Still, we are 18-1 and one game does not make or break the season in January.

This game was a team effort. Everyone played beneath their ability although I think Texas forced their will on our home court and deserve the credit.

murph 6 years, 6 months ago

Why do you abbreviate your first name there, jhawk7782?? Just go ahead and write it out - jerkhawk. I wonder how you would have done at any game - say, marbles - if you had been through the evening and night this team endured yesterday?

Such charming comments you made - "we failed miserably", "we were outplayed and out coached", and I especially enjoyed "everyone played beneath their ability".

I'm expect you're feeling pretty proud of yourself for your "insightful commentary". You really proved what a big, tough person you are. Making snide remarks like yours today is one of the most glaring displays of cluelessness and classlessness I've seen in a long, LONG time.

6 years, 6 months ago

"Why do you abbreviate your first name there, jhawk7782" Damn your stupid, jhawk7782 is a screen name..Not a first name.

6 years, 6 months ago

Sorry smurph...I guess I should have said getting out scored 51-28 in the 2nd half was a booming success....Brilliant!! Some teams pull together during times of adversity..as we did when Darnell was going through so much tragedy. I wish we could have done the same for TRob.

As for the 'snide remarks', you're not very bright. My comments were direct and to the point. You obviously didn't pay attention while struggling through 5th grade.

Ed Brown 6 years, 6 months ago

You are a real tool Mike. TRob loses his grandmother, his grandfather and his mother in a matter of days. His 9 year old sister had to call him and tell him. She is alone without him. The entire team meets well into the night with parents even showing up to comfort one of our own. They don't sleep all night I'm sure as losing your mother is especially tough. They run on adrenaline only. You could see emotions flying. Yet through it all they display the character that makes a person great.

Yes KUBB is almost a fever for all of us. We all expect to see the A game every game just as HCBS does. Yet it all pales in comparison to the integrity, the character and what HCBS truly builds in this great program...boys to men.

You want to not only berate the team for performing below your standards but you want to attack the intelligence of others in your zest to pound your almight chest at your basketball coaching prowess. It is obvious you didn't read the article. I have to believe this because I can't accept anyone in Jayhawk Nation reading, comprehending and then choosing to go in attack mode on perhaps one of the most sombering days in the HCBS era.

I hope you have the best day you can today. In your selfish zeal, though, please at least take 30 seconds and have a moment of reflectance on what TRob must be going through.

6 years, 6 months ago

Stupidity run amuck..I only want the Jayhawks to play to their standards. Am I a coach..no, but I am a KU grad and will continue to post as I see fit. Don't like it...don't read it or complain to LWJ. You act as the voice of reason after calling me a tool. lmao... Can you say hypocrite?

Dan Harris 6 years, 6 months ago

Your a complete and utterly clueless jerk. Nobody that is a true Hawk fan can blame them for the way they played with what they were having to deal with. You need to start rooting for Mizzu because their classless just like you!

PhogAdvisory 6 years, 6 months ago

"Some teams pull together during times of adversity..as we did when Darnell was going through so much tragedy. I wish we could have done the same for TRob."

So going over to a teammate's dorm and spending the night comforting him doesn't count as pulling together, I take it. I don't have a problem with people discussing the game but you could at least be tactful about it. I have to wonder if you didn't purposely use inciting language ("failed miserably" stands out in particular) to provoke these kinds of responses.

Also, your memory of the '08 season is off. Yes, we pulled together, but not before losing three rough away games, including an OSU game that occurred the same week both Jackson and Rodrick Stewart lost family to shootings.

Talk basketball all you like but have some class while you do it - and get your facts straight, too. I'm just glad posts like this are an anomaly on this board.

6 years, 6 months ago

I guess you forgot how we pulled together after Rodrick went down at practice before playing NC in the Final 4.

I am sincerely sorry that 'failed miserably' has offended you. 23 yrs in the military must have toughened me against such a vile attack. I hope being neutered is an anomaly at KU.

Funny how no one mentions this comment;

"Still, we are 18-1 and one game does not make or break the season in January. This game was a team effort. Everyone played beneath their ability"

Also, who the f&$k are you to tell me how to post?

As to our 3 loses in '08, all 3 games were on the road against good teams. Plus these games were stretched out over a period of time. Maybe your memory is the one at fault.

PhogAdvisory 6 years, 6 months ago

Never said it offended me, simply said it wasn't tactful. My point is that you seem surprised that people are irritated by your post, yet the language used seems to be intended to create that exact reaction.

Ah. Name-calling and curses. Classy.

I actually disagree that everyone played beneath their ability. I think there's a lot more to "ability" than simply talent and experience. Overall physical and emotional well-being are a part of one's ability as well. For example, if someone plays defense with a sprained ankle and his man blows by him for a layup, one could say that he still played to the best of his ability, despite the fact that he normally wouldn't have allowed that layup. Given the circumstances, while I do think some people played downright poorly (Selby, EJ) I think the majority of the team (particularly Reed, Brady, the Morii, maybe TT as well) did the best they could with what they had. It was frustrating to watch, but I can't really be upset with the boys for it.

And regarding the '08 losses: They were stretched out over the course of about a month, true, but we went 1-3 on the road during that stretch. It wasn't just 3 losses in a season - it was a definite slump, one that prompted a Henry T's team meeting to finally get over. And although they were good teams, I'd argue that this year's Texas team is better than any of those teams we lost to, but that's purely subjective.

DDDHawk 6 years, 6 months ago

I'm with Murph. Your lack of empathy is actually rather scary, jhawk.

6 years, 6 months ago

Really? Can you back that up? You don't know anything about me but you can divine my feelings without any knowledge of me. You should go to Vegas and preform at one of the casino's lounge shows.

Dan Harris 6 years, 6 months ago

6 years, 6 months ago

Why, is that your name? Hopefully you could have attempted to make some intelligent remark...But on the other hand, maybe not.

Scott Alden 6 years, 6 months ago

Their standards? Or YOUR standards? KU Fans come off like NU Football fans sometimes and it makes me sick to wear crimson and blue around fans like you. Win at all costs. WIN or go home. Go undefeated, make final fours, win titles, or go F yourself.

Being part of the KU nation means that you support the team through the good and the bad and not just what happens on the court or between the white lines. It doesn't mean you treat them like pros. It doesn't mean you take in nothing into consideration but the score.

Win by 30 or you suck, right?

I could give a crap about the score of this game after reading everything that happened. In fact, I'm glad the streak is gone. I just want the team playing to play rather than playing not to lose the streak.

This team will be closer, and better because of this. Remember in 2008 the team really turned after tragedy hit the team and everyone rallied.

I hope the next time tragedy touches you and you're being wrecked with emotion you go out on the driveway and try and go 4-7 behind the three point line. Would love to see how well you do.

Columbia, MO could always use more fans on that bandwagon... feel free to switch sides.

6 years, 6 months ago

lol..so emotional. I guess that's common among those of your type. I've been a Jayhawk probably longer than you've been alive little man.

Ian Brown 6 years, 6 months ago

Quick thoughts on tonights game, the team, etc:

First and foremost, my thoughts and prayers go out to TRob. Not many people his age, or any age, have had to endure the type of losses Robinson has in the past couple weeks. I can't even imagine the pain and sorrow he must feel. Last year I lost one of my best friends who was just 26 years old, and whom I'd known since I was 7, and that was extremely difficult for me. However, I could never imagine losing my mother at such a young age. I would be in pieces. The fact that he played today says a lot about his strength and character, if ever it was in doubt before. Stay strong, TRob. Jayhawk Nation is behind you.

On to my thoughts on todays game:

•I will never attempt to predict the score or spread of a game again. I've been waaaay off the last two games. I confidentally picked KU by 23 today, and thought I it was a great guess at half... Well, we all no what happened. Now I feel like I jinxed them.

•The two best players on the court for KU today were local guys--Reed and Morningstar. By far, they were our best guards. Tyshawn and Selby didn't show up at all, and EJ didn't play enough due to that horrible turnover in which he dribbled it off his knee at half court. Reed, of course, was the only guy that could hit a three, while Brady did a bit of everything, scoring 8 points, 2 of them on a breakaway slam. He also distributed the ball well and had just one turnover. Also, that tip-in he had should NOT have been called a foul. In my opinion, he should have played more during the home stretch, especially considering how badly Tyshawn and Selby played.

Hank Cross 6 years, 6 months ago

He put his arm right in the UT player's back.

Steve Kubler 6 years, 6 months ago

That is often not called IF you do not extend your arm. He kept his arm against his own body best I could see and just had his open hand on the Tx's player. There was no sign of pushing or grabbing to pull and if it was action between two bigs I doubt if there would have been a call.

6 years, 6 months ago

I also thought we were going to win..although by a much closer score. I felt the same about who were our best players yesterday but the Morris twins get an A for effort. Unfortunately, that could be our downfall in March/April. That and FT shooting. We need Selby to be the player we all thought he would be. TRob obviously gets a pass..I wish we could have rallied around him for a victory. Our guard play seems to have declined as the season progresses...which baffles me.

Ian Brown 6 years, 6 months ago

•Things I really didn't like: 1. The Morris twins feeling like jacking up three balls everytime they felt they were remotely open, ignoring the fact that they were 0 for the century and they had other teammates who were wide open. What also bothered me about it was the fact that they were finally starting to make things happen down low where they were getting opportunities for the old-fashioned 3pt play, and still kept jacking up threes. 2. Free-throws. No need for analysis. This mainly applies to the Twins as well. 3. Our lack of composure. Ts on McMorris and Selby at the end. Incredibly stupid, especially Selby's. Selby contributed NOTHING but fouls and turnovers at the end. Hopefully, since Self went with Selby over experience, Selby LEARNS from this terrible experience. 4. Anything and everything about Tyshawns play at the end of the game. He still can't hit the 3 ball, and how many times did he take it to the hole in the last few minutes and get his shot swatted and/or turn it over? A lot, that is all I know. 5. Our lack of effort and intensity in the second half continues to show, and it was worse today than any other game this season. We blew a 12 point lead and, in the end, lost by 11! That is simply pathetic. 6. To many other things that I can't think of at the moment. Lastly, those of you who want to criticize and bash Brady for his play today, either shut up, or aim that criticism toward Tyshawn and Selby--they're the ones that really stunk it up today, and when it counted the most. And as I said earlier, Brady was one of the 2 best players for Kansas today, the other being Reed of course.

Hopefully KU rebounds from todays game sooner rather than later. I'd love to meet UT in the Big 12 Tournament and get some tasteful revenge. Rock Chalk!

Ian Brown 6 years, 6 months ago

Oops, I guess none of Tyshawns drives to the basket ended in TOs, but most of them were blocked or clanked off the rim and resulted in a TX rebound, so they might as well have been TOs.

6 years, 6 months ago

Why is he out of line? This has been the trend all season and it finally caught up to us against a team we needed to be at our best to beat.

John Randall 6 years, 6 months ago

You are completely out of line, pretending 19,20,21 year olds should be able to just put away the feelings from last night and play at their normal level. I could accept nearly all you say about individuals in tonight's game if you wrote it during or just after the game – but not in reply to this article after time enough to process the circumstances.

You may be a decent enough person, but this post of yours is just pathetic.

Ian Brown 6 years, 6 months ago

I gave my condolences to Robinson and I never said they weren't playing with heavy hearts and I never said this was a normal game for our players.

What I did was comment, analyze and share my opinion on areas in which we struggled and need to improve upon. I wasn't "replying to this article." There was no malice intended toward anyone in my post.

These boards are here for us to discuss sports as well as offer condolences when unfortanate circumstances present themselves. I did both. So shoot me.

You attacking me for sharing my opinion of tonights game is what's pathetic.

Again, condolences to TRob and family. My heart goes out to you.

go_hawks 6 years, 6 months ago

I agree with KU62. You also say that these boards are for discussing sports but there are plenty of places to that where the articles and posts leave out the Robinson personal tragedies. You left your condolences but should have out of respect for the subject matter of this article stopped at that. You're an idiot for not understanding that. There's a place for your useless analysis of how poorly KU played and here is not that place. Go to ESPN's website for that not under an article about tragedies. And if you knew anything about anything you would have related the poor playing to the fact that the team was up most of the night consoling their teammate, which sadly even ESPN didn't mention on Sportscenter. Things like that take their toll and these athletes are kids not professionals yet.

murph 6 years, 6 months ago

Extremely well said, go_hawks. Thanks.

6 years, 6 months ago

lmao@ what a friggin moron you are tough guy. I'll call you Polly from now on. That's short for "pollyanna". Do you need the definition?

Ian Brown 6 years, 6 months ago

Thanks for having my back, Mike. I noticed you got bashed for voicing an opinion as well. I wasn't aware that we weren't allowed to talk discuss the game like we normally do on this board. Also, apparently we can't simply comment on the game when the article involves a tragedy; however, they can belittle us and call us pathetic morons. Which is worse and more immature? Simply analyzing the game that was played a few hours earlier, or attacking someone because, in their mind, their comments were supposedly out of place?

6 years, 6 months ago

Apparently saying anything that questions the greatness of this team or HCBS is out of bounds. I feel horrible for what TRob is going through and my wife and I both prayed for him.. But yesterday was a continuation of the problems this team has had all year. Turning a blind eye will not make them go away.

Hank Cross 6 years, 6 months ago

I didn't think there was anything out of line in your post in light of the tragedy that befell TRob. This is the post-game thread and it's the place to post those comments.

On the other hand, while I understand Brady is your personal friend and you feel the need to defend him, the objective facts are that Brady hurt the team in the second half as shown below:

18:13-Checks in, score UT 25 -KU 35. 16:35-last points of game scored on goaltend. 15:49-fouls Hamilton, who converts 2 FTs, ties up total team fouls at 3 apiece. 14:32-Assist to Reed on 3 pt. 13:53-Fouls Hamilton who scores basket and makes the FT. 13:39-Fouls Hamilton, who makes 2 FTs. 13:38-checks out, UT 35 - KU 42. 12:11-checks in, UT 39 - KU 43, 11:54-pass to McM, misses shot, makes 1/2 FTs. 10:38-fails to come out quick enough on Brown, who hits 3 in his face, giving UT its first lead. 7:48- Turnover leads directly to 3 moments later by Joseph, UT 54 - KU 47. 7:30-shoves Hamilton in back while the two are jogging down court, Hamilton almost falls. 6:05-out until under last minute of game, UT 56 - KU 49.

SDSurferFan 6 years, 6 months ago

I didn't hear until they mentioned it on the broadcast and I immediately thought this game means nothing to these kids right now. I couldn't believe he played, but that is what he wanted. I can't imagine what he had gone through prior to game along with his teammates.

As for the game, who cares.....I would say they all did the best they could under the horrible circumstances. Very sad, very bummed for him....

Mary Kay Scanlon 6 years, 6 months ago

T Rob-- You and your little sister are in my thoughts and prayers...the Jayhawk nation is surely sending many prayers and heartfelt wishes your way. Reach out to theose around you for support and know that you are loved by many..

Pat Sullivan 6 years, 6 months ago

Put yourself in TRob's shoes. The real pain still has not set in. It's good to know he's got a close knit family in Lawrence. It's easy for us to focus on wins and losses. They don't mean much in the big picture. God Bless. We should all feel good knowing that Bill Self knows what is important.

Hank Cross 6 years, 6 months ago

If you've ever lost anyone close, you know how painful it is. To lose 3, especially your mother so close is beyond comprehension.

jamsim3 6 years, 6 months ago

I just want to go on record and thank the Jayhawks for a wonderful 69 game home winning streak and for most of all the love that is being shown for TRob and his family. I am stunned the Hawks played as well as they did knowing all the time a member of their family was under extreme duress. Rock Chalk big fella and may God bless you and your family.

jaybate 6 years, 6 months ago

Regarding the team: I was exceedingly proud of the team, even though they came up short. All they have to work on is to learn to keep their composure against the rough stuff. They will do so, and they will beat Texas in the conference tournament.

Regarding Thomas Robinson: Dear God, please let this young man be now. And let his family, team and KU nation circle around him until he has made his peace with his terrible loss.

Rock Chalk!

"Poem for Thomas Robinson"

People tell me it is just a game That it is just young men bouncing a ball That I am a fool to love this game And those in it as I do But these people have not heard of Thomas Robinson They do not know that he Lost his mother and Wept with his teammates And played a game for His team--my team-- For reasons that Should forever remain His alone to know

These people do not know That this game really is life And death And everything In between

Not the wins and losses Not the records and statistics Not the rings, not the Disappointments and Exhaltations!

This game has woven through It the lives of human beings and All the gain and loss they endure

Basketball is what we share Amidst the incomprehensible Losses in life Deep in the near infinite Sorrows that afflict us as we Walk through the dream and Nightmare that is each human life

Because we come together For a season of play We share the death of heroes And the birth of children And the fury of jealousy And the endless getting Better in the relentless Loss.

And we are reminded That there are those among Us that are asked to bear too Much--more than any should Have to bear and that our Duty is to love them and And live and act in ways that Say there is community In this world Not just joy and loss

That this game is Not the community But that the community Is woven through this game and that as such Each unbearable loss is shared by Each of us in some small way And that this sharing Does indeed spread Life's too terrible burdens Around among us and Lighten, if only slightly The burden of that One person who has Lost beyond bearing.

I have suffered grave losses That have been been shared By this community without its Knowledge and so I know That Thomas Robinson's Terrible loss will be shared In ways that neither Thomas Nor this community will know

That is the nature of a Living myth It sustains the living As it respects the dead Even when one is unaware.

kesmithstl1 6 years, 6 months ago

Pardon me while I stand and applaud! - The late Jack Buck!

Powerful stuff!

Ty Mar 6 years, 6 months ago

Simply Amazing! T-Rob, we are here for you.

6 years, 6 months ago

Jaybate..you really have a way w/words and putting things into perspective...

kufamily 6 years, 6 months ago

What a beautiful poem that puts into words what it means to be a part of this Jayhawk Family. Thomas is on the minds of so many people, all across this country--and the world over--supporting him, sending him love as he endures the days, weeks, and months ahead.

Ed Brown 6 years, 6 months ago

Jaybate, you are the greatest, man! Thanks for putting your gift of gab to such good use and reminding all of us that through thick or thin, a true Jayhawk stands with character, spreads the wings across all those that need it exactly when they need it. RCJH

My religious beliefs are slightly different in that my prayers are more along the lines of Dear God please do not abandon this child of yours that is hurting so bad today and will for a while into the future. Bring him comfort and peace and fill that enormous hole in his heart with your love. Watch over him, his fellow team mates whose hearts are heavy and especially his little sister who has lived in the midst of these tragedies as a mere 9 year old child. We know, God, that she can't possibly comprehend the enormity of what she has experienced but with your wisdom and guidance, she will survive and thrive. Amen

AsadZ 6 years, 6 months ago

Jaybate, Glad to see you come through for T-Rob. I went to AFH after 21. There was amoment of silence before the game for his mother's death but everything happened so fast that reality did not sink in with me. I felt terrible after the loss but after coming back to the hotel and reading about the death of his mother I just could not think about anything else. I had difficult time sleeping thinking about T-Rob's loss. I sincerely request ALL Jayhawk fans to keep him in the prayers.

PhogAdvisory 6 years, 6 months ago

Wow. I just teared up. Lovely writing, jaybate.

Philip Garver 6 years, 6 months ago

Wonderful. I attempted to read this out loud to my wife and broke down. I lost my best friend, my father, in 2009. To help me cope, I often came here to get lost for a few moments to escape the pain. Many of you, unknowingly, helped me through the most difficult time of my life. This poem made that crystal clear.

lincase 6 years, 6 months ago

If I may, I will borrow a phrase from an expert: "Posting Hall of Fame."

KU_FanSince75 6 years, 6 months ago

Couldn't sleep----imagine that?! Lots and lots of props goes to Texas and head coach Rick Barnes for their class and heartfelt thoughts for T-Rob. I saw in the first eight minutes of the game that we were playing on pure adrenaline and emotion, and then, we just ran out of gas. You could tell we were spent. I can't imagine what T-Rob, fellow teammates and Coach Self is going through. And how about Tyrel Reed? Here's the MVP for the Jayhawks, eyes wet with tears, busting his gut out for his fellow teammate. You gotta love Tyrel. The guy is phenomenal. Anyone criticizing the Jayhawks on their play should be ashamed of yourselves. They'll learn from this. The grieving process will eventually heal. Some of you will have moms to answer to. T-Rob doesn't have his mom anymore. Life is precious---have a heart and move on. Really, seriously! They have a tough game in Boulder on Tuesday. Let's cheer them on and think positive here! Rock Chalk!

go_hawks 6 years, 6 months ago

My heart and deepest sympathies go out to the family. We as a Jayhawk community are all hurting for Thomas Robinson right now. Basketball seems so secondary right now but I hope T-Rob can find the strength to return to the team whenever he is ready.

go_hawks 6 years, 6 months ago

He loves the game of basketball and often carries the team on his shoulders. But like I said basketball is indeed secondary and his personal needs are what matters most in this time of sadness.

Ty Mar 6 years, 6 months ago

I do hope D-Block gets a chance to talk to T-Rob. Darnell Jackson went through similar - I think that might help him-what do you guys think?

funkitect 6 years, 6 months ago

i was thinking the exact same thing last night... i'm sure darnell would have a lot of comforting words for thomas, and would give him someone to relate to in such a horrible situation.

texashawk10 6 years, 6 months ago

My deepest condolences go out to T-Rob, his sister and the rest of their family. I lived on the same floor as T-Rob last year and had the pleasure of meeting his mom once when she was in town for a game and they are both two of the nicest people you could ever meet. Part of me was hoping that T-Rob could've had one of those all-time great games like what Brett Favre did to the Raiders right after his father passed away. I do know what it's like to prematurely lose a parent to a heart attack as my dad passed away about 4 years ago at the age of 53 from a heart attack. Unexpectedly losing a parent at a relatively young age is not something that a person gets over very quickly, but fortunatey T-Rob is not alone as the rest of the team will help T-Rob through this and this is something that very well could be the bonding moment that propells this team to a national title.

kansas22 6 years, 6 months ago

Can't even imagine going through what T-Rob has been forced to go through these past 3 weeks or so. Basketball losses happen and, as many have already stated, this really puts things in perspective. So what the streak ended? So what we lost the game? I just pray for T-Rob and his family in this time of need and hope he is able to make it back okay. Jayhawk nation is praying for you Thomas. We, as a basketball team, will be fine in the long run. We're FAR from out of the Big 12 championship race. Rock chalk and God bless.

ilovebill 6 years, 6 months ago

Thomas, I am so sorry that your young life has experienced such sadness and loss. My heart goes out to you and your sister.

I can't think of a better coach in Bill Self (plus wife, Cindy) who will give Thomas the care and love he needs right now.

All the Jayhawk moms out there, let's join together in sending Thomas notes and cards of support so that he knows there are hundreds of us all over the country who are keeping him in our thoughts. Could the LJW provide us with an address where they could be sent?

lincase 6 years, 6 months ago

What a wonderful idea. Count me in. LJW, please get on board with this. I was also wondering if there is anything we can do as a Jayhawk nation to help out in more substantial ways? I know that the NCAA has rules, but my heart just breaks for his little sister. I certainly hope there is something that can be done for Thomas and for her.

ccarp 6 years, 6 months ago

Forget the streak or the conference record, a very real loss occurred this weekend. Prayers and strength to T Rob and his family.

KansasComet 6 years, 6 months ago

My thoughts and prayers go out to Thomas Robinson and his family.

jaybate 6 years, 6 months ago

HEM,

Perhaps EJ just needs more time, but perhaps also his trial as a PG is coming to an end.

EJ is in a very tough situation. The only position he might be able to perform at a D1 level at is the 2, or 3. He has apparently failed as a PG.

But since the team has no true point guard that is ready to play the point, he keeps being given repeated trials that his performance does not justify.

Selby couldn't possibly run the point full time in D1 this year without making double the TOs that Tyshawn makes, and Tyshawn makes more than one would like already.

So Tyshawn has to play point, if for no other reason than to get his experience, and good on ball and fabulous help defense on the floor.

With Tyshawn at point, Self needs a back-up PG capable of giving 10-15 minutes of solid play with low TOs and it can't be Selby, as I said, because he makes too many mistakes.

It was supposed to be EJ, but he's not cutting it.

It could be Tyrel, but Self needs him for the open look treys, and good as Tyrel has become, he is still not fast enough to handle the PGs for much more than the stretch minutes when KU is in the lead and wants its best foul shooters in the game.

It could be Brady, but Self needs someone backing up the 3, when Selby isn't clicking and when the team needs glue and defense more than Selby's offensive juice. And Brady slumping has barely been able to fill that role, where he would do much less harm in a slump than backing up the point in a slump.

jaybate 6 years, 6 months ago

Clearly, Self committed early on to retraining EJ, a natural 2-3 position player, to play the back-up PG. He knew it would be a nightmare and it has been. But it was the only way to get the most good players on the floor in ways that did not turn KU into a pop tart factory.

It has been very rocky sledding, but as of now, everyone but EJ and Travis are rounding into giving Self what Self wants in the roles assigned.

Travis is in limbo, because of the injury.

But EJ is failing badly as a PG backup and being given 8-10 minutes first backup time a game is certainly enough time for any player to show he can get it done...if he can. EJ is either in a sophomore slump, or he's just not up to the challenge of PG. I suspect it is the latter.

Interestingly, we know Self knows he could move EJ to the 3 and EJ could perform adequately there, because Self moved EJ to the 3 for Memphis during Brady's slump and EJ performed adequately at the 3. Not great. But adequately. And EJ has evidenced a solid trey albeit mostly against cupcakes.

I believe Self telegraphed against Texas where this all may be headed, and may also suggest that Travis' injury may be worse than anyone has let on.

The EJ point guard experiment may be coming to an end, at least in increments.

I suspect that with Brady out of his slump, we may see Brady taking over more and more back-up point guard minutes and EJ playing more and more back-up 3. And for EJ to get this shot it probably means Travis ankle must really be trashed, or Travis would be getting it. EJ's and Brady's flip flop won't be sudden. Self never makes these moves suddenly, rather it will be an incremental change to see if the players can do it.

jaybate 6 years, 6 months ago

Selby, despite his floundering, is probably too good and too tough in too many regards to sit, so he has to play the 2, or 3. But when he is floundering, he does not merit more than 20 minutes.

Self also needs a solid trey shooter on the perimeter; that job keeps falling to Tyrel, not because he is shooting well (he isn't), but because the rest of his game is so solid, and because he is a low TO guy, which you have to have with Tyshawn and Selby on the floor.

So Selby stays at the 3.

Tyrel stays at the 2.

And EJ begins to back-up the 3 and soon some at the 2. His future in these two backup positions depends heavily on his trey ending his TOs. He seems to have found his trifecta this year. He does not seem prone to TOs--his problem at the point guard being lousy choices, rather than blatant throw aways. If he can keep hitting at 40%, and hold his TOs to one, he will play increasing minutes at the 3, probably up to a split of 20 a piece with Selby, until Selby proves he can get back to draining the trey at 40%, and hold his TOs to 1 per game, both of which I doubt he can do.

In this scenario, Brady becomes first back up at the PG and plays the 15 minutes that EJ has been unable to play there.

EJ and Tyshawn and Brady, when they are not playing their other roles, will back up the 2.

Brady playing the PG for 15 minutes should sharply reduce the total PG TOs enough to make Tyshawn's TOs tolerable.

This scenario would also lend itself to easing Selby into PG minutes in back up if Selby every gets a better handle on TOs at the PG.

Everyone would play a few minutes less, and EJ would finally be giving the team 15 good minutes somewhere.

One way or another, KU has to get better trey shooting and better FTing, or it really doesn't matter who plays, or who doesn't, down the stretch. They'll be a quick out.

Ron Franklin 6 years, 6 months ago

Good stuff today Jaybate. I'm looking forward to seeing Brady take some of the PG minutes. I'd expect to see more of EJ at the 2 than the 3 though. The only thing I'd really add to this is/or disagree with you on....I think getting better interior post play is more essential to a long tournament life come March.

The Hawks are getting dominated on the boards, and cant consistently score & defend down low..... They are owned by solid "true" bigs....as exhibited by Derek WIlliams, Josh Smith, Almeida from Nebraska, & now the entire front line of Texas. TRob is the only player tough enough down low right now. The twins prefer playing away from the basket.....so anytime they shoot below 40 percent, they have very little chance of winning.

If the hawks can't man up down low, they are going to need to learn how to outscore all of their oponents by running them into the ground.

jaybate 6 years, 6 months ago

Good takes.

Marcus especially has to own up to the Texas game.

He let himself be made inefficient.

But Marcus always learns from experience. It is part of why he is so good.

I don't think now that he has seen XTReme Muscle and XTReme Cheap Shotting schemed directly to disrupt him, that he wil be as easy to disrupt that way the next time.

Ron Franklin 6 years, 6 months ago

This was the only game I forgot to DVR, so I have no way to go back and look at it. But watching it live, in AFH, I was very disappointed in the twins. I don't know how much of the jaw jacking the TV showed, but they do it constantly. Constantly questioning the refs....as an official myself, I know that can get under skin & cause tighter calls to be made, & judgement calls to be made differently.

What I'm seeing out of the Twins isn't just about yesterday, but the entire season. It's about them preferring to hang outside the arc instead of battling down low. It's the the "3" they shoot before running the offense. It's their lack of improvement at the charity stripe. It's their lack of intensity....because they have a "i'll turn it on when I need to mindset." These individual traits will become the traits of the team. And while I trust this will still be a good season with 28-32 wins....I don't see the boys having what it takes to cut the nets down in April.

PhogAdvisory 6 years, 6 months ago

Good analysis, jaybate&co. I'd also be interested to see that shift. I think it might help both players, actually. EJ needs more minutes on the floor since he's going to be a major player for us next season, but the pressure of the PG position seems to get to him, and in big games (aka every game for the rest of the season) Self just can't risk the TOs. So he rides the bench. A lot. The 3-spot takes the pressure off some, so he can play good D, run the O, and hopefully hit a few treys here and there.

Plus shifting Brady - a low TO, high assist guy - to the PG takes the pressure off of him to score. You expect your 3-guard to be an offensive threat, but your PG's main role is "glue guy" (hence why we loved RussRob so much). My only concern is team chemistry - do the guys look to Brady as a leader the way they do TT? But that's not something an "outside-looking-in" fan can know either way, so it's all speculation.

On a slightly different note: I had never entirely understood what you meant by XTReme Cheap Shotting until yesterday's game, but wow, the Texas bigs are good at it. I was sitting (well, standing) under our basket for the second half and had a great angle to see all the fouls the refs couldn't. It was maddening.

jaybate 6 years, 6 months ago

PhogAdvisory,

Glad to hear someone was there and so can confirm the cheap shotting that I saw on the TV screen. There is no substitute for being up close to the action to see and here what is happening. TV, because of the flatness of the screen, and the camera angles, can fool one. XTReme Cheap Shotting is for real. The coaches and players and announcers are all euphemizing it as "chippy," but its just cheap shotting turned into a tactic to be unleashed to disrupt an opponent. Now that you have seen it in person, watch the tube closely. You will see a difference between the XTReme Muscle Teams and those XTReme Muscle Teams that have embraced XTReme Cheap Shotting on the heals of Coach Consonants' success with it against Butler to win his undeserved ring last season.

Rock Chalk!

Ed Brown 6 years, 6 months ago

Jaybate,

Ever heard of seed.com? Check it out. It is for freelance writers to pick up assignments, submit them and make a little moola on the side. Some pay a little, others pay more but there is plenty to do, especially with your rapid fire generation of clear concise written communication. Heck, I think I would have paid for many of your commentaries. :)

Eric Schneider 6 years, 6 months ago

I don't think we can really take anything away from yesterdays game. EJ and Selby got rim jammed, the entire team, except for Tyrel and Brady, had no legs after the under 8 timeout in the first half.

We do need another banger down low. Withey isn't there yet. Marcus is in reality a 3 playing the 4. And Kieff can't stay out of foul trouble.

As for the PG? It may be time to let Selby take it. He seems hesitant playing off the ball. You're going to have to live with turnovers with Tyshawn as well, so give the guy a chance to do what you brought him here to do. It may be what he needs to get more comfortable.

Give Texas credit. They weathred the early storm and did what they needed to do.

I'll be curious to see how the free throws are on Wed. I want to know if yesterday was from fatigue, or was Baylor the aberation.

Most of all I want to offer my thoughts and prayers to TRob, his sister, and the rest of his family and friends. The last three weeks are more than any 19 year old should be expected to deal with. I know the Jayhawk family will do everything it can to help them through this.

SDSurferFan 6 years, 6 months ago

......but 18-0 then this loss. The second half was as bad as I've seen a BS team play in a long time. It is hard to take anything from this game with what happened 14 fours prior to tip off. Not an excuse, but a reason. A very valid reason.

Saad Saifeddine 6 years, 6 months ago

Our prayers are with you TROB. The jayhawk nation couldn't be more proud of you!

oreadhawk99 6 years, 6 months ago

In several games this year, when we were in a slump and the momentum seemed to be turning in favor of our opponent, Robinson provided that spark that was badly needed and put this team on his back for enough minutes to put the momentum back in our favor. To see Jayhawk fans, players, mothers of players and coach Self lifting this young man up in the same way in which he has done during those games, is reassuring to witness. My thoughts and prayers go out to Thomas Robinson and his family.

jaybate 6 years, 6 months ago

HEM,

On second thought, I want to retract the entirety of what I said above about EJ. I don't know nearly enough about EJ's practice performance to say what I just said above.

EJ has probably not failed at PG.

EJ is probably in an extended slump, just as Brady was.

I thought too much and felt to little for EJ.

He will make it some how. I just cannot say how. Perhaps Self will shift gears and try your suggestion.

Perhaps you are right and EJ needs more rope, more minutes.

I suspect Self is trying to protect EJ from catastrophic failure by continuing to find him 8-10 minutes to find himself again.

I believe ever since Self gave David Padgett too much rope and Padgett imploded, Self has been exceedingly careful not to ask too much of players who's self images are less than set in stone.

Selby and Brady he will throw to the dogs. Brandon Rush and Mario Chalmers he will throw to the dogs.

But players like Darnell Jackson, and EJ, and Tyrel Reed, he does not throw to the dogs. Even Sherron he would not fully throw to the dogs until his third season. Some he plays sooner. Some he plays later. But certain players he just does not just throw to the dogs--he does not say sink or swim.

jaybate 6 years, 6 months ago

I really believe Self is trying to do what is best for EJ.

I agree with Self that throwing EJ to the dogs would probably wreck him permanently.

But I respect your opinion and think that it is possible that you are right about EJ needing more minutes to succeed.

But if it were up to me, I would do as Self is doing.

And if it were up to you, you would do it your way.

And as long as both our intentions are aimed at what is best for EJ, and my notion of moving him to the 3 in the posts above was written with the best of intentions for EJ, then all one can do is try the path that makes most sense to one and see how the dice come up.

I do suspect that if Self does not throw EJ to the dogs this season, he will next year.

Sooner or later Self does let a talented player experience being a "ravaged dogs beaten by the hail."

Just ask Tyshawn Taylor.

I imagine there are some games when Tyshawn is wishing Self would move him back to the 2.

But Self is saying, "Nope, Tyshawn, its now or never kid. I protected you and masked you as a freshman, because we had no one else to play the 2. I put you through the toughening box your sophomore year, because I couldn't risk toughening you up, when you were a freshman, and also because I knew you were gonna need it this season, when I put you at the point. Ya got talent kid. As much natural talent as most any guard I've had. But talent only gets you the shot, which I'm giving you. How bad do you really want it, son? Now you know how bad Sherron wanted it when he was out there on the point for two seasons for me and I didn't substitute him when things were going wrong. Thats what a cornerstone player is Tyshawn. You and Marcus are the cornerstones. I don't substitute you when you are playing awful. A cornerstone guy has to play through it. He has to keep coming when he can't see how he is going to get it done. He is the baseline of the team. Nobody can save you now, Tyshawn. No one can save Marcus now. You are the cornerstones. You either save yourselves and this team, or you lose yourselves and this team collapses. This is called responsibility. Welcome to the real world, kiddo."

texashawk10 6 years, 6 months ago

Jaybate, EJ's performance and minutes started going downhill after he injured his shoulder initially and I think he did more than just dislocate it. I could very well be wrong about that, but I don't think it's a coindence that his declining performance started when he injured his shoulder.

jaybate 6 years, 6 months ago

Very good point. We'll have to keep an eye on his wing. And those shoulder separations, or rotator cuff problems can really grag on. Thanks for recalling that to my attention.

hawksince51 6 years, 6 months ago

Thomas my thoughts are with you. I found it inspirational that you chose to stay and play. The TV behind me is talking about the 10 year anniversary of the plane crash that killed 10 OSU players and coaches. Even though I have been a rabid KU fan since I was 10 years old, I'm reminded that basketball is just a game.

FLJHK 6 years, 6 months ago

Great work today by virtually all the posters. Jaybate's poem is exceptional. The class of Jayhawk Nation is on display here today. Blessings and strength to T-Rob in these much too difficult times.

Michael Maris 6 years, 6 months ago

Sounds like a call to Darnell Jackson to his Jayhawk Brother is well on its way.

T-Rob, keep fighting the fight. You are a warrior a Proud Member of the Jayhawk Nation.

kubiggestfan 6 years, 6 months ago

My heart goes out to this young man and his family. Be strong, look to the lord for guidance and I am sure that he will provide you all the answers you need. You have a good coach and mentor in Coach Self and the rest of your teammates. They will help you get through this tough time. God Bless!

Bob Thompson 6 years, 6 months ago

KU’s team really is a family, the emotional drain from one of there family members loosing a mother just drained the life out of them. You can only play so long on emotion. Toward the end of the game you could see Marcus fighting with everything he had to win, but it was too late. I am really proud of KU. I think yesterday really showed their heart. Yes we lost the game, but their family got closer together. Thomas is really hurting, and the rest of his family is hurting with him.

Jack Wilson 6 years, 6 months ago

Jaybate: It is a tough call. EJ may function much better at the 2 or 3 spot. But there is no doubt that in his last few limited opportunities at the 1, he has failed.

My biggest concern, though, is that we have significant point guard problems and I think this will end up being the fatal flaw if not addressed.

I wish I had that answer. I feel like I got sucked in on TT's early season performance, biting a bit too hard on that 8-9 game bait.

When Brady and Reed were in the game at the 1 and 2, it was noticeable how Reed got no looks. And the pure lack of penetrating ability or threat allowed the defense to extend, it appeared. Maybe it was just the way this game played out. But the Brady, Reed, Little, Marcus, Kieff lineup sure looked like our "sloth" lineup to me .. slow and plodding. Not my favorite by a long shot (but with Selby, EJ, and TT not playing well, I understand why Self went to this group a bit).

For this team to ultimately succeed, we need strong point guard play. We need speed and athleticism there to create opportunities. Here's the options perhaps Self is considering to get there:

1) TT continues to play primarily and we hope he reverts to early season form, with EJ getting 8 minutes or so; 2) Give Brady or Reed 10 - 12 per at the 1, with TT; 3) Playing EJ 20+ at that spot to challenge TT, and then best man gets the job. or 4) Self just saying "Selby, you're the man .. we'll live or die with you there";

I would suspect from Self's point of view, the more conservative route is 1, the most risky being 4. Although I'm an EJ fan, I really favor 4. Some reasons why: First, he is probably the most talented player on the ball. Second, of the 5 contenders for the 1 spot, he is the best finisher with the ball. Third, he not player particularly well and saying "son, here's the ball" may inject some life, confidence, etc., into his game. And fourth, and very importantly, Self has always alluded to the fact that Selby will/may move to the ball. But the big risk is Selby could simply implode and drop 8 turnovers some night.

Given what it appears we are lacking, the risk may be worth it. And I still think option 3 is an advisable way to go .. but there has to be commitment to the approach. I guess that would be the same way with Selby going to the ball .. he couldn't just jerk him out at the first sign of poor play.

Self's conservative approach seems to suggest there is no way in heck he will go with Selby on the ball until he sees that Selby has earned it by his play on the court. A logical approach, of course. But sometimes in coaching, change alone can be the panacea. It is risky, it goes against the way Self gives out playing time .. but is there really a better option?

The best thing about yesterday, I believe, is that it may get Self really thinking about his personnel, and possibly cause him to make adjustments he may have been holding off on due to the obvious fact that we were undefeated.

FLJHK 6 years, 6 months ago

Option 4 is the high risk high reward scenario, but I thing the risk is way too high. I guess I'm still buying the bait of TT's early season performance, but I still think he is by far the best PG option. His defense is outstanding and the offense generally flows well with him there. I don't think the turnovers are too far out of line, but his lack of finishing after penetrating the lane is very frustrating. On that latter skill, it would be of great interest to see how Selby could do, and eventually (like next year) that has to his role. But I don't think he's ready to orchestrate the offense at this time. For now, I would just like to break him in as the back-up to TT, and just hope the benefits and experience justifies the likely problems he is likely to have.

hawksince51 6 years, 6 months ago

Agree--Selby plays like a typical freshman and has not shown he is ready to handle the PG position. He should improve and contribute more consistently at the 2 by the end of March. While I share concerns about TT, it looks to me like he is Self's best option. I had higher expectations of EJ earlier but he has disappointed recently.

6 years, 6 months ago

Option 4 will result in EJ ending up in ICU. For whatever reason, he has lost his confidence. I wish I could see him in practice and would welcome any insights by those who do. As his 3 pt shot has disappeared, so has his ability to drive to the hoop and make plays. He even missed an easy dunk (as did Selby) and his passing is tentative. What Happened!

SDSurferFan 6 years, 6 months ago

Curious on what the rankings will be Monday.

Osu Duke Pitt SDSU Ku Nova

Can't see Ku falling further with a loss vs a very good top 10 team. Ku may be 4th ahead of SDSU.

KU_FanSince75 6 years, 6 months ago

SDSurferFan----

I was going to say to switch KU and SD State, but I hadn't read all of your post. Totally agree with you. My gut feeling is that KU will be 4th in the USA Today/Coaches Poll---maybe 5th in the AP/Writers Poll.

6 years, 6 months ago

The best 10 teams in the NCAA as they are playing now: OSU Pitt UConn 'Nova Duke Texas 'Cuse Kansas SDSU Texas A&M

Tony Bandle 6 years, 6 months ago

Having just lost my wonderful mother-in-law to a heart attack in Las Vegas while we were on vacation just three weeks ago, it's taken me this long to respond.

TRob, the sudden loss of someone so close and so young is devastating, but please take hope.

Life and death is kind of like a big gathering in a huge room with a curtain down the middle. Even though you can't see your loved one, you know that they are there and that the love between you two is not one iota diminished.

Eventually all of us cross through that curtain and join our loved ones on the other side. Your Mom and Grandparents are by your side right now, you just can't see them.

Be strong for your Mom and especially for your sister. No one said life is fair, just that life is precious and make use of every moment of it. Take care Brother Hawk.

LJW -Please let us know if a trust fund has been set up for Jayla...I would very much like to contribute.

KU_FanSince75 6 years, 6 months ago

Wow, Oakville---sorry to hear about your mother-in-law. You are one of my favorite posters I like to communicate to. I don't deal with family losses very well---who does? One has to fall back on friends, family and the man upstairs. God Bless!

AsadZ 6 years, 6 months ago

Very good point and initiative. Lets us all contribute whatever we can for the family and more importantly lets keep them in the prayers

Tony Bandle 6 years, 6 months ago

Game Summary and analysis:

They won, we lost, Move on.

Woody Cragg 6 years, 6 months ago

Is nice to see analytics (HEM, JB, etc) without the emotions of posters whom do not respect other opinions. Some of the posters are way too quick with the tongue. These young guys are not grown ups whom have experienced these emotional periods in life so patience is key. And if they are reading some of these posts, please be kind in how you say what you say. We do have a classy, intelligent, and devoted following at The University of Kansas, so please don't forget that even your opinions should reflect the situation at hand and not just a contest.

Brendan Connolly 6 years, 6 months ago

Does anybody know the rules implications or if there are any problems for setting up say a college savings fund or something similar for his younger sister? I know I would be willing to contribute and I am sure that one of the greatest concerns we can address for T-Rob is helping take care of his precious younger sister.

If anyone does know, please post here.

Tim Orel 6 years, 6 months ago

Because of TRob's status as a player, I'll bet this is against NCAA rules. Would you contribute to Joe Schmoe's sister's college fund? Well, you might, but it would be a nightmare to administer. This is one thing I think KU fans should stay far away from, even though your heart is in the right place.

I have not seen one comment about his father. Who is taking care of the sister now? The quote from HCBS seems to indicate she's by herself, so I hope there's relatives able to look after her. If there are no relatives, I'm sure KU's family will take her in, but that's something else nobody has mentioned.

REHawk 6 years, 6 months ago

Thomas, the deep sympathies of my wife and I are with you and your sister. We cannot begin to imagine a situation in which our own 9 year old grandaughter would be harbinger of such emotionally charged family news. A brave decision last night, your choosing to play. We wish the best for you and family, and are certain that the Jayhawk Nation will stand solidly behind you in this current moment of grief and in future need.

JHawkfan32 6 years, 6 months ago

It's the least we can do to pray for him and his sister. does anybody know if he has a father who can take care of his sis?

Marcia Parsons 6 years, 6 months ago

My guess would be no, since his mom has always been described in what I've read as a single mom raising two children on her own with help of grandparents. It would be nice if Jayla could come to Lawrence and live with one of the team families during the school year. As long as there is no NCAA rule against it, it would really be great to set up a fund of some sort. There may be lots of aunts and uncles, etc. I've never heard anything about that.

REHawk 6 years, 6 months ago

HighEliteMajor and jaybate, I have enjoyed your debate today. The point guard discussion sinks to the root of huge concern for our Jayhawks as they continue to prepare for the stretch run. Per usual, league coaches tend to expose our weaknesses. Though last night's preparation suffered huge emotional distraction and sleep deprivation of players, loose threads that most of us have suspected for some time really began to unravel. I agree with jaybate's analysis that Bill Self creates change only in small increments. Two very unfortunate occurrences have affected major decisions which could have been up for consideration with his lineup. First, Selby's not being available to gain possible point guard minutes in the cupcake segment of the season. Now, Releford's injury coming at a time when the 3 position seemed to be on the way to brighter days. And of course the 3 week run of TRob's family travails. I think Selby needs minutes at point guard; and, to digress more than somewhat, Withey must glean 8 minutes of action whenever possible. I don't know what can be done with Taylor's ongoing dream to be a star scorer. He smothers his potential to be a first round NBA selection by persistently poor decision making.

Woody Cragg 6 years, 6 months ago

Selby proved to us all, me especially that he is not ready for the car keys yet. He is absolutely not ready for the next level yet, or even close. These kids were up damn near all night but decision making process has been exceptionally poor all year with all the technicals. Brady, MCM, MKM, Selby- everyone. Tryel may need to just take control; at least he shows some poise. Mr Manning likely has the respect to calm the waters. We'll see.

Tony Bandle 6 years, 6 months ago

Wait...is that the toilet running? Never mind, it's just the trollinnebr.

JHWK 6 years, 6 months ago

Whoa. What an emotional avalanche to hit the team - and most especially our beloved TRob - on the eve of the biggest home game of the year.

Sure, there have been teams who have weathered these kinds of tragedies and come out on top, but I do believe that our men handled it as best as they could given that it was less than a day before the game. And they will come out on top as men and team mates.

Try to get some rest knowing that your fans/family is here for strength and to share the burden in any way we can.

And thanks, Texas, for having class and understanding. I look forward to many outstanding battles in our future. Rock Chalk, Jayhawks! Times like this define a program, and there is no doubt ours will be stronger.

Matt1958 6 years, 6 months ago

I'm well over 50 and still have both my parents. I'm even blessed to have a 99 year old Grandfather. I can't imagine. Thoughts and prayers from fans of teams all across the nation are with you TR. I know all your brothers are with you. God bless.

SaltLakeHawk 6 years, 6 months ago

Hey everybody. It's been pretty gloomy around here, so I thought everyone could use a little something to brighten their day.

Scroll down within the following link and click on "Soren MU vs KU rant". Soren Pedro a (non-KU/MU/KSU grad, and therefore unbiased) DJ for 810 radio completely destroys an MU fan who tries to say they're better than KU. It's priceless.

If you have 10 minutes to spend, I personally guarantee this will bring a smile to your face.

Chris Bruning 6 years, 6 months ago

great stuff saltlakehawk....right around the 7.30 mark to the end is hilarious (and true)

KU_FanSince75 6 years, 6 months ago

@ SaltLakeHawk----Wow, that is priceless! I don't think I ever laughed so much and so loud. Reminds me of the Simpsons's dad episode where he puts the flag up on the wall missing a star and feels like Missouri shouldn't be included in the Continental 48 states. Chuckberry32 would like to hear that. My only question (I know it is true, though), how does that guy get away with saying that kind of stuff on the radio? Funny stuff! And yes, it brought more than a smile to my face! Thanks for sharing.

SoCalAlum 6 years, 6 months ago

Gary - any news of a fund(s) to contribute to (for funeral expenses; for sister's education/care)? I'm ready to send my check.

ilovebill 6 years, 6 months ago

LJW.....please keep us updated on how we can help. And is there an address/contact person where we could send cards?

This feels so helpless....I can't stop thinking about Thomas. When you follow these players every day and love this team so much, it feels like they are your boys.

Jaybate....your poem was lovely and touching.

Kevin Huffman 6 years, 6 months ago

Maybe I sound like a "biased 'homer' " but that was seriously probably the worst officiated "anti-KU" game I'd seen in Lawrence in about 16 years since that dramatic come-back win game against UCLA back in the Toby Bailey on UCLA year after UCLA had won the Chmpshp.....I want to say that game was back in '95 and the refs were booed off the court at the half.

I mean at one point the 'Horns had gone to the line 21 x to KU's 7 x?!?!?!?! in a game at home?!?!?!?!

Poor T.Rob couldn't MOVE without getting whistled....dude was dealing w/ enough and they wouldn't even let him play!!! 2 Technicals within a matter of minutes and Bill was EXTREMELY lucky not to get a 3rd technical called on himself.

sweetthang 6 years, 6 months ago

This is so sad! when watching the game i could tell something wasnt right! Thomas im so sorry ! so sorry! you have a big support system keep your head up and fight through this! take care of you little sister the way your mother would have ! do all that you can do 4 her! and remember you are allways he little angel! celebrate her life and remember you will see her again !