Kansas defeats Iowa State, 84-79

• 8 p.m., Jan. 12, 2011
  • Hilton Coliseum, Ames, IA

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Double whammy: KU’s Marcus Morris erupts for 33 against Iowa State

Kansas forward Marcus Morris (22) clenches his fists as he and twin brother Markieff head back on defense after a Jayhawk bucket against Iowa State during the second half. Marcus had 33 points and Markieff 17 in the Jayhawks’ 84-79 victory Wednesday in Ames, Iowa.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self

Kansas coach Bill Self talks to reporters following the Jayhawks' 84-79 victory over Iowa State on Jan. 13, 2011.

Download podcast

— Marcus Morris, who exploded for a career-high 33 points and grabbed a career-best 13 rebounds in Kansas University’s Big 12 opener on Wednesday night, grinned when asked if he’s planning on similar production each and every night during the conference season.

“I can try. I definitely can try,” Morris said after his 22-point second-half outburst helped the Jayhawks (16-0, 1-0) outlast gritty Iowa State (13-4, 0-2), 84-79, in Hilton Coliseum.

“I personally think there will be games Kieff can get 30 and Selby can get 30,” he added of Markieff Morris and Josh Selby, who scored 17 and 14 respectively Wednesday. “I had an on-night tonight. There’s other players on my team who can do it, too.”

On this night, it was Morris, Morris and more Morris.

“I just felt I had to take the game over,” said the 6-foot-9 junior forward, who hit 11 of 15 shots and 11 of 14 free throws, surpassing his old career high of 26 points, set against Lehigh last season and Ohio earlier this season. He had 11 rebounds against Valparaiso back on Nov. 15.

“The shots were falling. I made my free throws tonight. My teammates kept going to me, and I was able to deliver.”

Why the desire to take over on this night?

“Because the crowd was into it. I felt somebody had to step up,” said Morris.

His 33 points were the most by a Jayhawk since Sherron Collins’ 33 versus Cornell last season. It was the most points by a KU player in a conference game since Julian Wright hit for 33 at Missouri in February of 2007.

“I showed I’m a leader and put the load on my back,” Morris said.

His second-half production came on a night the Jayhawks saw a 13-point first-half lead dip to one point 4 1/2 minutes into the second half and another 12-point lead dip to three down the stretch.

“I feel this is my year to step up. I feel I can do that. I never get into personal duels,” he added, asked if he felt he had to outshine ISU’s Diante Garrett, who scored 27 points off 11-of-25 shooting.

“Garrett was terrific, though. I had to congratulate him after the game. I didn’t know he was that good of a player. He’s great, and Vanderbeken (Jamie, 19 points, 4-for-10 from three), too. Iowa State is going to beat a lot of teams.”

KU coach Bill Self marveled at Morris’ performance.

“Marcus was great. It probably was his best game since he’s been at KU,” said Self, whose teams have won seven in a row in Ames. “Kieff was good, too. If he makes free throws (five of 11), he has a heck of a game. Those two get 50 points and 24 rebounds in 54 minutes. That’s pretty good.

“But Marcus was spectacular tonight.”

Self said, “no, no” when asked if he’d ever seen Marcus take over a game like that.

“He did it every way,” Self said. “I don’t think he made a three, but he made perimeter jumpers. He drove it. That’s one thing we’ve been trying to get him to do is drive the bigs. He did a great job driving the bigs, making plays when the game was on the line.

“I don’t think Marcus has been in rhythm until about a week ago. He played really well at Michigan, too. In November he was terrific. December, I don’t think he ever got in rhythm. Since Christmas, he’s played very well.”

Self repeated a line from earlier this season when he said Marcus, “does more things than anybody else we’ve coached. When he plays with energy and passion, he’s hard to guard. And he can defend, too.

“We haven’t had anybody make threes, get it off the bounce, get it off the catch and go to the post like him. When he’s geeked up and active, he can do so many things.”

And he’s having a blast, saying he “loves” his teammates and loves the potential of this team.

Frank as always, he gave a midseason update on his NBA status as well.

“You never know. You never know,” he said, asked if he’ll return to KU for a senior season. “My focus is only on the season right now. I would really think about coming back. I’m looking forward to coming back, but you never know.”

Comments

Bill Skeet 4 years, 5 months ago

33 points and 13 rebounds in 27 minutes: Well done!

That was an outstanding performance. Congratulations to Marcus!

HawkNVegas 4 years, 5 months ago

Way to go Marcus, keep leaving it all out there on the court. Your progress has been amazing. Rock Chalk Jayhawk.

YuCoJayHawk 4 years, 5 months ago

I'm sure there will be some more posters who were not too pleased with KU once again getting a double digit lead and then letting their opponent off the hook. Maybe no killer instinct, maybe not. Maybe KU hasn't really played anyone yet, maybe not. Maybe KU wins the big 12, maybe not. Maybe KU deserves to be no. 1 in the country now, maybe not. But..... when we get to the end of the season, and KU wins those last 6 games, no one is going to whine about giving up double digit leads or the strength of the schedule. We will simply bask in the glow of another championship.

Tam Bui 4 years, 5 months ago

I saw a monster today! I was so scared, that I think I saw two of them! 50 points...not to take anything away from Marcus's career highs, but I love that we have Markieff on our team too. Great job, guys!

Hank Cross 4 years, 5 months ago

Good game, but not much learned. Despite the score, it was never really that close. I thought it was obvious KU was going to win early on when ISU showed no ability/inclination to stop the twins.

Ben Kane 4 years, 5 months ago

I thought Little had a pretty good game also, which surprised me but am of course happy to see.

KU 4 years, 5 months ago

Perimeter defense, once again, will be the Achilles' Heal of KU's team. And as I have said all along, we will truly miss Aldrich more than anyone could have imagined when it comes to March. He masked our poor perimeter defense for years. ISU's guards schooled us all night. Fortunately, Christopherson (?) had a little bit of an off night, especially in the first half. They were able to drive at will against our 1 and 2 guards and find the open man in the corner for wide open 3's. I have no idea why we were helping off Garrett to TRY to stop dribble penetration.

Mike Bratisax 4 years, 5 months ago

Agree, but the problem is not with our post players but with our guards. There is no need for them to be doubling down and leaving the three wide open

KU 4 years, 5 months ago

Ralster, you make a great point about Christopherson. I guess when I consider "perimeter defense" I'm thinking of the ability to prevent open 3s AND the ability to prevent penetration. Christopherson isn't the quickest dude in the Big 12 and he repeatedly got past our perimeter defenders, drove the lane and often kicked out to wide-open shooters. Our perimeter defenders were helping down on guards driving to the basket because we don't have a post defensive presence like Aldrich. We need to be able to trust our post defenders to help rather than having our guards help down in the lande against guard penetration, in my opinion. So while we may have slowed down Christopherson's shot in the first half, he DID get to the lane and score/create for others. Maybe I'm greedy. I don't want to pick my poison. I want BOTH 3 point defense AND prevention of penetrating guards.

jayhawktalk 4 years, 5 months ago

Having someone (Cole) in the middle to block shots is great, but if we need it as part of our "perimeter" defense, we have serious problems.

Steve Gantz 4 years, 5 months ago

Remember the twins as freshmen and we all (ok, MOST of us) ranted about the twins frustrating play. They've come along way. Meanwhile Jason King makes these predictions on Yahoo sports: "Kansas will lose at least four Big 12 games but will still win the league title." "Final Four picks: Ohio State, Kansas, Missouri and Pittsburgh." Oh and this juicy little tidbit: "Duke will finish the regular season undefeated but won’t make the Final Four" I hope he gets half of that right!

ahpersecoachingexperience 4 years, 5 months ago

I could easily see four losses. Possible splits with mu and ksu. Baylor, aTm, and Texas will not be fun. Throw in overlooking at CU or NU. Hope it doesn't happen! But I could see it.

Jeffery Barrett 4 years, 5 months ago

Maybe you could see it, but Coach Self will not, nor will he let this team overlook CU or NU...........wait.......did you say split with ksu?!?!?!?

Really?

downriverdan 4 years, 5 months ago

My thought exactly sgtjb123!

Are you sure you didn't mean possible spit on ksu ahpersecoachingexperience?

They might beat Texas Tech @ Bramlage this weekend but I see them falling or is that failing after that. Even with the other suspended senior back on the court.

Steve Brown 4 years, 5 months ago

Twins as Freshman, horrid, full of potential but not effective then. This sseason, 2-3 losses max. 2nd place team 10-6.

NH_JHawk 4 years, 5 months ago

"I personally think there will be games Kieff can get 30 and Selby can get 30,”

No chance of Kieff ever scoring 30 if he continues to shoot 5 of 11 at the FT line. The Morris' can do it all: 3pt range, turn around j's, fadeaways, drive and get to the rim, dunks, so why not FTs?

Otw...fun game to watch!

oldalum 4 years, 5 months ago

The odd thing is, Keiff is usually the one you can count on to hit the free throws. I think he has a 72% average. He was just off last night. A couple misses, and I expect the confidence takes a hit.

oldalum 4 years, 5 months ago

Darn that Chris Piper. Always fooling me with faulty stats!

Mike Bratisax 4 years, 5 months ago

Any Conference road win is a good win...

The twins were unbelievable! Marcus was on fire. I thought the score was closer than it should have been but EVERY time they made a run, we answered.

Biggest criticism was perimeter defense.

And getting to see K-State's final minutes was a bonus.

clevelandjayhawker 4 years, 5 months ago

The good- Road Win, Brady hits a 3 and the alley opp pass he had to Kief, the TWINS!!!, hustle/effort, never trailed, 16-0

The bad- Who stole TROB's mins? I understand Mario taking some, but that many? Brady's behind the back pass, where was our guard play last night? stopping the drive, our zone press, Kief throwing elbows while at the top of the 3 point line late (luckily no contact or foul called), hearing "Hilton Magic" 30 times

The UGLY- Dick Vitale got a contract extension through 21014-15, that Dumb shake it printer/staples commercial last night i saw no less than 8 times

We are going to be #2 in the rankings, but if Iowa State or Michigan had made 2-3 threes we would be #15 or so.... We need to get buckets when we are up 8-10 and push it to 20+...step on their throats.... Rock Chalk

kerbyd 4 years, 5 months ago

Great! We get to listen to Dukie V for how many more years???!!??

Steve Kubler 4 years, 5 months ago

TRob got into foul trouble early and had to sit a lot.

hawk_of_ages 4 years, 5 months ago

Uh, Iowa St. made a LOT of threes. And we won anyway.

Also, if we had lost one of those games, we'd still be easily in the Top 10. Duke just lost to an unranked team.

clevelandjayhawker 4 years, 5 months ago

ISU 9-32 28.1% from 3.....wait till we play a team that hits 40% +... we better be able to make more freethrows, be able to get an outlet pass to a guy in a kansas uniform, and hope that we get 50 and 24 from the twins

also two losses in the same week to mich and isu and we would drop to #12 or so

hawk_of_ages 4 years, 5 months ago

"wait till we play a team that hits 40% +"

Right, but the point is, we don't ALLOW teams to get anywhere near that % from deep.

"two losses in the same week to mich and isu and we would drop to #12 or so"

You said if we had lost to Mich. OR Iowa St. we'd have dropped to 15. Anyway, unlike Duke and K-State last night, we DIDN'T LOSE.

Mike Bratisax 4 years, 5 months ago

At least he usually stays in either the ACC or Big East where he can be closer to Coach K.

Chris Shaw 4 years, 5 months ago

Not to interject myself into this little conversation, but what do Iowa State and Michigan have in common? Any guesses? They are 2 of only 12 schools in all of division I basketball (346 Total) that have attempted over 400 3 point FG attempts as a team up to this point in the season.

Considering Iowa State went 9-32 for 28 percent and Michigan went 4-28 for 14 percent I think that is well below both teams averages considering how much they chuck the rock. I will agree that the "Pick and Pop" defense was shaky with their big man getting free on the pick and roll. That needs work, but considering the other information, pretty decent.

r0ckchalk311 4 years, 5 months ago

The two headed Morris Monster was RAGING last night! Very good to see Marcus take control. Great to have Little back in the mix too.

gongs4ku 4 years, 5 months ago

The twins sure have come a long way since their bonehead freshman (and sometimes sophomore) seasons.

hawksfan08 4 years, 5 months ago

It's encouraging to see that there might finally be a bit of separation between our players so Self can start to determine what we have as a team. It's pretty clear that the Morii and Selby are going to be 3 of the 5 players on the floor at the end of the game. The other 2 spots are going to depend on matchups and who is playing well. Between injuries and inconsistent play from the younger guys, it was nice to see Little and Morningstar step up last night. This was a perfect matchup for both of their games.

My only concern coming away from the game was stupid plays keeping ISU in the game. 3 outlet pass turnovers without even getting the ball over half court resulting in 3 3-pointers (might have even been 4). 2 lane violations, one giving them an extra point, one taking a point away from us. That's 11 points to ISU that kept this game close. I'm also not sure why the ball wasn't in Tyrel's hand at every moment possible at the end of the game. The guy is a 90%+ free throw shooter. Get him the ball.

All that side, I hate playing at Hilton and any win there regardless of the margin is a good win in my book.

KGphoto 4 years, 5 months ago

Morii. Funny. Can you illustrate that too? I envision something along the lines of a two headed kraken.

jayhawktalk 4 years, 5 months ago

You may want to add the 3 second calls in the lane and the traveling calls in the first half to your list.

hawk_of_ages 4 years, 5 months ago

I agree that we're still making too many unforced errors that keep lesser opponents within reach of us. Those outlet pass turnovers drove me crazy. However...

One reason we made those turnovers was that the Twins were being very aggressive in initiating the fast break, which has been a big key to our success. I give them a lot of credit for quick-outletting on rebounds; we don't want them to get TOO trigger-shy just because of a few mishaps last night.

Ty Mar 4 years, 5 months ago

I 100% agree. We could have won by 15-20 if we didn't make those ridiculous mistakes..i was actaully laughing when i saw some of those. If we can cut back on those lazy mistakes...we will obliterate most teams even with poor FT shooting.

oldalum 4 years, 5 months ago

Apparently Coach agreed with you per his after-game remarks. After they threw it in to Markeiff, Coach said to get it to Tyrel, Josh, or Brady. Markeiff said, "But I was open." To which Coach replied, "There's a reason for that."

Mike Bratisax 4 years, 5 months ago

Don't disagree, you made all valid points but the biggest problem was with perimeter defense. I can't count how many times our guards left their man wide open while trying to double team down near the paint.

Tim Bingaman 4 years, 5 months ago

WOW! What a game from Marcus! Amazing!

I too loved it when he got up from that hard foul and didn't pout or get mad... just score, baby!

Awesome!

KGphoto 4 years, 5 months ago

Absolutely loved watching Danny Manning last night. He could hardly contain himself. He was just like a proud papa, and for good reason. He saw a little of himself out there for the first time as a Kansas coach. We all did.

Dan Harris 4 years, 5 months ago

Never thought of it that way but your right!

HawkBBall 4 years, 5 months ago

Marcus, you rock. Tyshawn and Josh, 3 TO's each, and neither one of you played defense. Both played matador and let ISU's guards penetrate at will. If we can't choke off the guard penetration on defense, then we won't run the Big 12.

hawksince51 4 years, 5 months ago

Marcus played one of the greatest all-around games I have seen by a big man at KU. And Kieff was really good as well. That is 2 great games in a row for the Twins. I thought Mario played well after his long layoff. I have always expected him to contribute off the bench, or maybe eventually start at the 3. And, Selby bounced back from his poor shooting at Michigan and showed a couple of nice inside moves.
I was disappointed that the young ISU coach did not stay with the zone as I feel we need practice against it. I still predict we will see more of it in the conference when the other coaches review the film and see how the Morris Twins wrecked ISU inside. But we will handle it pretty well if we can pass the ball the way we did last night.

kcglowboy 4 years, 5 months ago

NBA questions already??? C'mon Gary. Was that really necessary? You wrote, as usual, a solid game recap and analysis. Why did you have to go and ruin it by injecting the NBA talk so early in the season? You guys just can't resist, can you? Unless the player brings it up himself, unprovoked, there is no earthly reason to start this conversation IN MID JANUARY! None. Zilch.

KU_FanSince75 4 years, 5 months ago

I know I wouldn't ask him about the NBA, but last night, Marcus was an NBA player and I'm sure there were some NBA scouts just drooling over his performance. I thought Mario had a nice game off the bench. I was happy for him for all the stuff he's been through. Next victim---Nebraska!

dylans 4 years, 5 months ago

Mario did that to himself. You must overcome obstacles in your life without losing your head!

jayhawktalk 4 years, 5 months ago

+1 This was the last post of his I am going to read.

Woody Cragg 4 years, 5 months ago

Ralster, this is a KU hater on our website and nothing else. He's run that Brady bashing into the ground and has nothing better in life to do. Probably "his" team sucks so being miserable is commonplace. As I said yesterday we probably only fuel him (or it) by returning copy. Losers always stick out, either by natural occurances or choice, but they are what they are-losers! By the way, I thought Brady stepped it up last night.

vmwskywalk 4 years, 5 months ago

How's that KState pick working for you?

Kye Clark 4 years, 5 months ago

I'm not one of Brady's staunch supporters either, but what are you going to do next year when Brady is gone? Will you cease to exist altogether once his eligibility runs out? Your schtick has long since gotten tired, and even your thinly veiled attempt to hide your hatred for him by surrounding it with more ridiculous takes it is clear you are, for whatever reason, disturbingly obsessed with Brady. Give it a rest you old broken record.

dylans 4 years, 5 months ago

The problem with your analysis is that the jayhawks, while not playing up to their potential, have won every game. When they finally do put it together the hawks will be unstoppable. Yes they probably will lose 1-3 games, but you cannot compare what they did against on team to the next due to such inconsistent play. KU is constantly playing down to the opponent.

Chris Shaw 4 years, 5 months ago

I think the only thing that is consisent is the inconsistent play. Good stuff ICT!

bad_dog 4 years, 5 months ago

"Doc Sadler said this morning on his morning show that, he and the team is ready to go to Phog Allen on Saturday."

It's good they are ready to go by Thursday morning. It must be at least a 3.5 hour drive to Lawrence.

"He said that there could be a record breaking show in Lawrence after watching IST and KU game last night."

The only way Nebraska could be part of any "record breaking show" in Lawrence would be if this occurred: http://www.findingdulcinea.com/news/on-this-day/July-August-08/On-this-Day---Disco-Demolition-Night--Ruins-Chicago-White-Sox-Game.html

At best it's only a false bravado laden statement from the coach of a team that got a couple of late turnovers and an opportune foul in the final seconds to beat Iowa State by 2 points-in Lincoln. Perhaps he should be more concerned with why they lost to Mizzery just last night? Really though, what do you expect him to say? "We know they're always better coached and have a bigger, faster, classier and more talented roster. They're going to robustly and comprehensively kick our a$$es no matter where we play, but we're accustomed to it, so Husker fans just need to get over it."

Bring it on Little Red.

Jack Wilson 4 years, 5 months ago

Love the Brady debate .. the old "play him because he's a senior", and "forget the stats", etc. .. always winners. The one I like best is "his basketball IQ is just so high" .. nevermind the boneheaded behind the back play.

But clearly, he's coach Self's safety blanket. A part of the "safety first" rotation as a wise man once said. It is what it is.

hawk_of_ages 4 years, 5 months ago

"play him because he's a senior", and "forget the stats", etc. "his basketball IQ is just so high"

I didn't say any of those things.

Woody Cragg 4 years, 5 months ago

Wah, Wah, Wah! Cry me a river and take your sorry a$$ to the bIG 10 or 11 or whatever the heck it is. Personally I think you have a crush on Brady.

Hank Cross 4 years, 5 months ago

Have to admit that I have enjoyed some of your shots at Brady, but he didn't have a bad game last night and actually made some pretty good passes in transition. I'm not saying that he deserves all of his the minutes, but on the whole he made a positive contribution last night.

As for NE, it's going to be blasted on Saturday. I can't wait to have NE leave the conference b/c it adds absolutely nothing to KU's BB schedule. In fact, b/c we have to play them twice, it diminishes our strength of schedule.

DeLoss Dodds laughed himself sick when he tricked Delaney in taking NE off his hands.

hawk_of_ages 4 years, 5 months ago

"Have to admit that I have enjoyed some of your shots at Brady"

Why would supposed KU fans take pleasure in cheap shots at their own players?

Hank Cross 4 years, 5 months ago

I thought his "Brady isn't worth the soap it takes to wash his uniform" comment was funny. I'm a KU fan first and foremost. I don't have a problem with Brady, I have a problem that he plays minutes that could be used to develop better players.

hawk_of_ages 4 years, 5 months ago

"More upside" does not equal "better player." If they are truly "better players," they'd be beating Brady out in practice. Personally I like the fact that Self shows deference to seniority over "upside." But if Travis or EJ or whoever takes away more of Brady's minutes, I'm fine with that too. Self knows his personnel.

Hank Cross 4 years, 5 months ago

Who cares if someone is a senior and the first article of clothing they had was a KU onesie? The only thing that matters is assembling the best team to win 6 games in March. And the stats show that when given a meaningful opportunity, players like EJ and Travis out-perform Brady.

Jack Wilson 4 years, 5 months ago

Meant to post the comment above under yours .. a little excited, I guess.

YuCoJayHawk 4 years, 5 months ago

5th or 6th in the big 12?? Its quite obvious you are intentionally trying to provoke responses or you may have been dropped one too many times. You type as if you got shipwrecked on a deserted island at age 10, without any subsequent education, then got rescued and promptly returned to Nebraska where your new job was to analyze basketball. I tried my best to take the high road and ignore your drivel. I failed.

oldalum 4 years, 5 months ago

I have a lot of trouble imagining Doc Sadler saying any of those things. He is a nice guy, from all I've seen, and no coach is dumb enough to give their opponents that kind of bulletin board material. I call BS on this one.

Derek Bowman 4 years, 5 months ago

Well, I just read your post and that's 2 minutes of my life I'll never get back!! Thanks for wasting our time, the space on this message board, and doing your best to dumb us all down to your level. Good GOD, dude! THINK before you type!

wrwlumpy 4 years, 5 months ago

Were you apoplectic when you realized that Brady was #2 in minutes played and praised by the coach after the game?

Mike Bratisax 4 years, 5 months ago

Why do you bother posting? You have absolutely nothing to say worth listening to.

duanep5ku 4 years, 5 months ago

This guy is a troll,no doubt and a waste of time. LJW needs to bar his IP address from this site permanently.

He's obviously an idiot that needs a life so he comes on this site to get attention,desperate little troll must have no life in Nebraska. I mean just think about what you just said on your post on here, are you really this dumb. Troll you need to look at the other teams in the big 12 right now and their schedule.

Texas has a murders row schedule coming up and they could easy lose 3 or 4 games. MU still has to prove it can win on the road or they could be the team that loses 5 games or more. KSU would pretty much have to win all their games to even consider them again but that won't happen,their in deep trouble. Baylor,might be a loss there but it would not be to bad loss if they play Zone and we learn from that game something. KU has the best schedule of all those teams. Oh' can NU win here this weekend maybe but it's still more likely that Kansas will kick their butt.

Chris Shaw 4 years, 5 months ago

By the way, have any of you figured out that he or she posts this crap and then doesn't respond whatsoever to the original post. Let it be everyone. It's the same garbage everyday.

JayHawkFanToo 4 years, 5 months ago

I am curious jayhawkinnebr. Why is your beef with Morningstar? You opinion is so biased and non-factual that your posts sound laughable.

Did you notice that he played the most minutes on any player last night? Don’t you think that Coach Self knows a lot more than you do and there is as reason why he gets play time?

Have you played major college BBall? And I don’t mean intra-murals or Community College. Coach Self has. Have you coached major college BBall? And I don’t mean night league at the local community center. Coach Self has. Have you won over 400 Division 1 BBall games? Coach Self has. Have you won a NCAA BBall Championship? Coach Self has. Have you been named Coach of the Year in the Top College Division? Coach Self has.

As you can see, you do not have the experience or expertise that Coach Self has and yet, you continue to question his judgment. In fact, and based on your posts, you seem to have less BBall knowledge that just about any poster in this board.

Until such time where you can demonstrate that you are better qualified than Coach Self, I, along with most if not all the posters in this board, will continue to take Coach Self’s judgment over yours.

Mark Twain said:

“It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.”

The quote fits you perfectly.

JayHawkFanToo 4 years, 5 months ago

I have had mine for a long time. although I do not post here very often. I am looking for one of a "mean looking" Jayhawk but I cannot seem to find one. I might photoshop one when time is available.

Hank Cross 4 years, 5 months ago

I like much of what you post and respect your opinion, but this 'Self knows best b/c he is the coach' argument really doesn't cut it. If you took that argument outside of sports and said that only people who were President were fit to judge a president's performance, then really only four people should really vote in the next election.

The argument also implies that Self is some type of all-knowing BB god who can do no wrong. He's just as apt to make a mistake in judgment as anyone else.

I think it's almost beyond arguing at this point that Self is very conservative coach and will almost always take the familar over the new. Brady is a very known commodity and maybe in Self's mind, this justifies playing him over players that have shown to have more potential.

Hank Cross 4 years, 5 months ago

I just noticed that your using kushaw's avatar. In that case, the first clause still applies to kushaw and no disrespect is intended towards him.

JayHawkFanToo 4 years, 5 months ago

I did not say that Coach Self is "some type some type of all-knowing BB god who can do no wrong." I simply said that he has proven to be an extremely successful coach (top 3 in College BBall?), and I doubt that a coach that good would continue to make the same mistake for that long, don't you think?

He is playing Morningstar for a reason and he is more familiar with the team and players than any one of us. As long as KU is successful, I am not going to second guess a Coach that in the words of another great coach, Bobby Knight, has probably forgotten more, than most of us know about BBall.

Kye Clark 4 years, 5 months ago

It sure was fun to watch the Twins last night. Selby had some decent drives to the hoop. And Mario Little's performance was a nice shot in the arm. Some things to work on:

• Getting TRob back on track. After having the best game of his career against Texas-Arlington, coach Self plays Withey more minutes the following game and TRob has looked out of sync ever since. It's possible that following game (against Miami OH) was just an anomaly and he has since been struggling since the death of his grandmother. Regardless, he was arguably KU's 3rd best player behind the Morris Twins for the first stretch of games this season, and getting him back on track will be imperative.

• Perimeter defense. KU touched on this earlier. Elijah has been deficient all year, Selby is just a freshman learning to stay with his man, Brady plays good at getting through screens but is routinely beat off the dribble, and last night neither Tyrel nor Tyshawn could stay with their man. That being said, they have to be given some credit for holding opponents to low 3-pt shooting percentages. It is just too easy to simply say "they missed a lot of open looks". Kansas ranks second in the nation at 3-pt FG% defense at 24.7%, so there are some positives to our perimeter defense.

• Transition defense. Iowa State had more fast break chances against us than any team I've seen this year. You wouldn't think a team with almost no depth would be beating us down the court very often, including a couple of times off of made baskets, but that was the case last night. One game isn't necessarily cause for concern, but best to address this problem before it leads to bad habits and becomes a trend.

• Valuing the basketball. Two games in a row we've thrown the ball away off of an inbound pass following a made basket by our opponents, and it's happened a couple of other times during the season (I know TRob did this one game early in the first half and it earned him a spot on the bench for the rest of the half). These types of plays leads to scoring runs against us that are probably most responsible for some of these teams staying in the game against us as opposed to getting boat-raced.

Kye Clark 4 years, 5 months ago

• Getting Marcus to get his elbows under control. They showed a replay last night of him coming close to nailing an Iowa St. player with one, and the officials went to the monitor to review a play in the Michigan game. No elbow was thrown, but he has developed a reputation, and it would be devastating for him to get caught throwing one of those in a tournament game.

• Settling on a rotation, and establishing team chemistry. I don't think we've had a game this year with our full compliment of players. I think there are only a small handful of players who know their roles. Selby and the Twins are going to start and get as many minutes as their conditioning and foul trouble allow. I think more times than not TRob is going to get major minutes as the 3rd big. And apparently Bill is going to play Brady tons of minutes until he finally runs out of eligibility. But it might be time to re-evaluate Reed and Tyshawn's roles. Tyshawn continues to be in a funk since Selby became eligible, and Reed might be better served coming off the bench with slightly reduced minutes. Travis, Little, EJ, and Withey have to all be unsure how much they will play from game to game. I know with such a deep team some of the minutes have to be allocated based on performance in practice and games, but I'd guess that performance would improve for some of these players with more defined roles and minutes.

hawk_of_ages 4 years, 5 months ago

"And apparently Bill is going to play Brady tons of minutes until he finally runs out of eligibility."

Weren't you just scolding another poster for taking cheap shots at the kid?

Kye Clark 4 years, 5 months ago

Yes, yes I was posting on jayhawkinnebr's post that we are tired of his Brady-bashing act. I can only assume you aren't pointing that out because you were confused as to whether or not I did it. The logical assumption is that you consider the quote of mine that you re-posted to also be a "cheap shot". First of all, that's not a cheap shot. If you are so sensitive that I cannot merely point out that Bill plays Brady a lot of minutes than maybe an internet message board is not the place for you, lest you get your feelings hurt and think you need to run around scolding every poster that has the opinion that Brady maybe play a few less minutes. Also, despite some of his supporters being in denial that this is in face his last semester playing ball for the 'hawks, he does in fact run out of eligibility after this season is over. Deal with that reality before blindly lashing out at people.

If you read my statement I would ask that you consider the situation. How many discussions were had that "now that Selby is eligible, Brady's minutes will go down"? Or "now that Releford and EJ have proven they can positively contribute to this team, Brady's minutes will go down"? Or even this week, "now that Little is back, Brady's minutes will go down?" I'm sure you've noticed these discussions. Then consider last night Brady played 29 minutes, which was more than anybody except Selby. It was more than either of the Twins. So, considering all this - players developing, becoming eligible, and outperforming him - he still plays "tons of minutes". It is not a cheap shot then to acknowledge Bill will continue to play Brady a lot.

As for "scolding another poster", I've seen you on these message boards often so I know you're not that naive to jayhawkinnebr's act. Saying Brady is a bum, a dud, a drag on the team, to park him on the pine and hand him a beer...those are the cheap shots that I think everyone who reads these message boards is tired of, especially because they come in no context of any discussion or relevance to the topic of the article. If you look there's probably an anti-Brady post from him on the article about TRob's grandmother or Releford's injury. No, you're not that naive, but instead you seized upon a comment I made and contorted it to fit your own agenda, which is obviously a result of an over-abundance of Brady love. I criticized EJ in that post, Tyshawn, Tyrel, Marcus for his elbows...yet you pick out the some small, non-critical comment about Brady's minutes and deem it a cheap shot? You have exposed yourself as caring for nothing else on this message board other than Brady. You are the other side of the coin to jayhawkinnebr. A one-trick pony, who is also willing to make any article or post about your own Don Quixote-esque crusade just as he is. Keep tilting at windmills.

hawk_of_ages 4 years, 5 months ago

Whoa. Cool it down there with the ad hominems, buddy.

"One-trick pony?" As a quick perusal of this very page proves, I post on many topics other than Brady. Maybe you have me confused with someone else?

"Overabundance of Brady-love?" Huh? Show me where in my posting history I've ever praised Brady beyond saying he's a solid player who doesn't deserve to be benched.

Your statement was a "cheap shot" in my opinion because it bore no relation to fact. As you know, Brady's minutes HAVE gone down recently. The only reason he played so much yesterday was that both Travis and EJ were hurt. And it was a cheap shot because the way you worded it -- "until he finally runs out of eligibility" -- suggests that you just can't WAIT till the kid is gone.

Why do you criticize people for being Brady "lovers" or "supporters" anyway? Aren't we all KU fans here? Am I on the wrong message board?

Kye Clark 4 years, 5 months ago

hawk_of_ages - I do see a variety of topics being discussed on this thread by you. When I began typing my response the only posts you had were nit-picking a couple of more-or-less harmless sentences from the posts of a couple fans and trying to frame yet another debate of Brady haters vs. Brady lovers (or the Brady Bunch, or the Brady Brigade. Whichever you prefer). When that is the first thing you do on the message board - scan for any hint of anti-Bradyism that you can pounce on...well maybe you're not a one-trick pony, but it's definitely your go-to move.

For the record (again. Not on this thread, but for the cheap seats I guess), I am not anti-Brady, or a Brady hater. When he is on the court I want him to succeed. I'm sure there are genuine Brady-haters out there; those that when he made that first 3-pointer last night thought "Ugh. That's gonna make it harder for me to come on the message boards tomorrow and continue with my anti-Brady rhetoric. Why couldn't he have missed that?". That is in no way who I am. However, I am more or less in-line with oxcaljayhawk's thinking. Other players should see more minutes than he does. This does not make me a Brady hater or anti-Brady any more than if you think Brady deserves more minutes than those other players it makes you anti-Releford/EJ/Little. We all have opinions, and you are entitled to yours as I am to mine. What I did not appreciate was likening me to the poster I chastised for his ridiculous continual assault on Brady regardless of topic or merit.

Now to the debate whether that was a cheap shot or not. Have Brady's minutes gone down? Sure. However, does he normally play more minutes than other players? Let's see. Since Selby joined the team Brady is averaging 19.85 min/game. Travis is averaging 15.8 min/game (and this is not including the game against Michigan where he played only 4 minutes, which would make his average less). EJ is averaging 14.42 min/game (15.5 min/game if you want to take out last night's game where he injured his shoulder). These are the two players fans typically want seeing more minutes in these debates. Little could be thrown into this debate as well, but last night was the first game he played since Selby became eligible, so there is no statistical comparison to be made, other than the minutes played last night - which Brady played 10 more than Little. However, that can easily and more than likely correctly be attributed to Little not having played the past 6 games, and therefore not being in shape enough to play more minutes and/or not deserving of more due to the nature of his actions. At any rate...it would appear my statement that he will continue to get tons of minutes (note nowhere do I suggest that his minutes have not gone down) does bore at least a little relation to fact.

Kye Clark 4 years, 5 months ago

As for the way I worded it, "until he finally runs out of eligibility", perhaps that may suggest to you that I can't wait until he is gone, but that is not the case. It is more suggestive of the fact that he has seemingly been here forever. I've made jokes about him being an old man before, not malicious jokes, but in good fun (i.e. when we played Valpo and he was seen laughing with Homer Drew, I joked that they were probably talking about the good old days bootlegging hooch into the student dorms during prohibition).

To your last point - I am critical of people I characterize as "Brady-lovers" AND "Brady-haters". These two groups are so entrenched in their thinking, either Brady can do no wrong (the Brady-lovers) or he can do no right (the Brady-haters). Neither side sees things objectively, and both groups attack fans that are "KU-lovers" (which is who these message boards should be for). People who love KU want what is best for the team, and have opinions as to what they think is best. They are loyal to the program first and foremost, and if that means playing someone less minutes, so be it.

hawk_of_ages 4 years, 5 months ago

I appreciate the reasoned response.

The problem I have here is that you and others keep saying there are "Brady-lovers" who think "Brady can do no wrong." Who exactly are these people?

We certainly see plenty of Brady haters here like jayhawkinneb who just attack him relentlessly, but I have yet to see a poster here express the opinion that Brady "can do no wrong." "Brady-lover" and "Brady brigade" just seem to be mean-spirited slurs against anyone who tries to defend the kid.

Kye Clark 4 years, 5 months ago

Lebowski is the one that comes to mind by name. There are others but they aren't as established as posters and I am not remembering their names. Any criticism of Brady is met with "you are an idiot" from Lebowski, or some other form of name calling.

Not sure why you would consider the term "Brady Brigade" a mean-spirited slur. I guess I could maybe see where someone might think that with "Brady Lover", if their mind went straight to some anti-gay, homophobia place. Regardless, these labels do not apply to those who merely defend Brady. Like I said in my last response, I use these terms (as well as Brady hater) to describe the people who view him in absolutes - doing no right or doing no wrong. And for these people, yeah I guess there should be some kind of negative connotation aimed at those that can't be reasoned with or debated, even if it's just to agree to disagree.

Craig Colgin 4 years, 5 months ago

Everybody(myself included) needs to just stop letting this troll Fakehawkinbreader, get us into these Brady discussions, Brady has his place on this team, we all know that, and quite frankly if Brady won the National Title 4 years straight with the rest of the Jayhawks riding on his back, there is still no way that this troll would ever give him any respect. Let's let him be, it's time to move on. ROCK CHALK!!!

wrwlumpy 4 years, 5 months ago

All teams since the Cal game have also been trying to provoke Marcus. Early in the Michigan game, while running back on defense, he was clocked pretty hard from behind in the open court. The ref did call a foul and later the country saw the replay of Hardaway bashing his skull on a block attempt and not getting the call. Hopefully after his ejection and Markieff being sat down after his technical, both will continue to do what they did last night.

Mike Bratisax 4 years, 5 months ago

Did you notice Coach Self shussing (sp?) someone on the court early in the first half? Wasn't sure if someone was trash talking or complaining to a referee. I'm guessing it was trash talking as we know HCBS doesn't like it.

Tony Bandle 4 years, 5 months ago

Markieff keeps this up we may be looking at two extra scholarships for next year that can be put toward 2012.

For arguments sake, figure Nadiir, Daniels, McLemore and Chol coming in and with Brady, Mario, Tyrel gone and Marcus, Markieff and Josh possibly leaving.

That would leave a lot of playing time on the board, losing 6 of your top 9 rotation.

How does this look:
Taylor, McLemore,Withey, TRob and Releford -Starters Nadiir, Daniels, Chol, Woolridge.

Looks a little scary to me, especially with the new Home/Home schedule for the Big 12/10. Texas there, KSU there, Baylor there, A$M there Okie ST there, Misery there. Even OU, ISU and Tech with a new coach will be tough.at their places.

dylans 4 years, 5 months ago

How about we see how this year plays out?

Tony Bandle 4 years, 5 months ago

Sorry...I'm a first born and a Catholic. Worry is our destiny!!

ChalmersForTheTie7568 4 years, 5 months ago

Withey has a LONG way to go before he's a part of the starting 5 conversation in my opinion. Not saying he can't do it, but he's gonna have to have one heck of a summer with Danny.

Greg Lux 4 years, 5 months ago

Awesome and you can do it every game you play ... I hope to see it every game for the next 3 months. Now no excuses .. you know you can and I believe you will.

Congrats Twins.....

Rock Chalk

tauck 4 years, 5 months ago

can someone teach these kids how to shoot free throws

ChalmersForTheTie7568 4 years, 5 months ago

The Good: Marcus showed he's capable of being a go-to guy when we need a bucket late. Selby showed the ability to get to the hole when his shot isn't falling. We dominated the glass (43-31). We showed the ability to play short-handed (Travis out, Elijah in and out, T-Rob in foul trouble). We showed some signs of being able to get out and run - I haven't seen a Kansas team get the ball up the court that fast after a made basket since ole Roy was throwing his blazer into the 15th row at AFH.

The Bad: We were sub-par from beyond the arch (26%), missing too many open threes missed. We were sub-par from the free throw line (61% - although if you take Markieffs 5-11 out we shot 70% - still not great) and made some silly turnovers off defensive rebounds (16 turnovers,15 assist total - not the way we started off the year). Markieff had some bad shots early in posessions that led to ISU buckets, T-Rob made some silly fouls, and yet again we had a team on the ropes and couldn't put them away.

The Bottom Line: We're 1-0 in conference play after winning on the road at one of the Big 12's 2 or 3 hardest places to win (We all know #1, I give Gallagher-Iba the nod over Hilton - still, Hilton is tough). This team is starting to remind me of last year's squad that under-achieved but just kept winning. My concern is that this will be another one of those teams that never realizes its full potential. Plenty of season left to find out...

hawk_of_ages 4 years, 5 months ago

Some good points there. In fairness, two of the calls against T-Rob were HIGHLY suspect.

ChalmersForTheTie7568 4 years, 5 months ago

Agreed. By the way, when was the last time we got called for two 3-second violations? Did we even have two all of last season?

REHawk 4 years, 5 months ago

Seemed to me that our smoothest guard flow occurred with Tyrel-Josh-Brady minutes. Tyshawn played like a freshman. Elijah's reoccurring shoulder injury stymied his progress. Most effective guard combos might change vs. various opponents, but Brady was more solid than Taylor in this particular matchup. If Tyshawn could cut his shooting by 50% and up his assists by 50% he might become a bonafide topflight point guard. His terrific athleticism gets wrecked by his craving for scoring highlights.

bad_dog 4 years, 5 months ago

I too am concerned about Eljiah's recurrent shoulder problems. I wonder if these are dislocations? If so, he may need surgery to tighten it up. I believe both times it occured was when he was closely guarding an opponent with his arm extended to defend a pass. If he requires surgery during the season that would finish him for the year.

jayhawktalk 4 years, 5 months ago

The twins were amazing. I am surprised there hasn't been a comment, yet, about their taking the ball at the hole instead of settling for a fall away shot. They got to the line frequently and got the ISU bigs in foul trouble. If there was any question before last night who the best player is on this team, I think that has been put to sleep.

We better learn to play against a zone...

Jacobpaul81 4 years, 5 months ago

Once again, 3 pt shots are a burden for us. If we hit them, we blow teams away. If we shoot 19 and hit 5, we've wasted possessions. If they'd take no more than 15 - 3 pt shots, be a bit more selective with their shooting, this team would improve immensely.

Dirk Andrews 4 years, 5 months ago

We are such a great team when the Twins are pumped up and play hard. Mario Little had some great minutes too. Brady played good, passed the ball well...overall a great game.

Hank Cross 4 years, 5 months ago

Based on the last few games, season trends, and history, I'd say the minute rotation going forward will be: McM and Selby - 30 minutes; MkM, Tyrel, TT, Brady - 25 min a piece; Mario, Travis, TRobb, EJ - 10 min a piece; and, Withey - break in case of fire, garbage time.

Loses 1, maybe 2 games in conference.

Wins 1, maybe 2 games in the tourney. Loss occurs when a team has a strong enough inside pressence to neutralize the twins and Selby has a cold shooting night.

hawk_of_ages 4 years, 5 months ago

No way are T-Rob, Travis and Mario going to be confined to 10 minutes on average. T-Rob's just in a bit of a slump now, had some bad luck with the fouls last night; he'll bounce back, and be a major part of the rotation. The recent trend had been somewhat fewer minutes for Brady, somewhat more for Travis and others, and I'm sure that will resume once Travis comes back. And, if you noticed, Mario played a very strong 19 minutes last night. (As for EJ, he could still go either way; I just don't know.)

As for your prediction that we'll lose early in the tourney again: Anything's possible in college basketball, but keep in mind that there aren't a lot of big men who can "neutralize the twins." We already saw some of the best young bigs in the country vs. Arizona and UCLA, and while they gave the twins trouble, we still prevailed in the end. (Also keep in mind that this team is not static -- we can still improve as the season goes on.)

Hank Cross 4 years, 5 months ago

I'm believe that Mario played 19 minutes last night because Travis wasn't there to play half of those minutes and/or Self wanted to give Mario a chance to reconnect with the team. I haven't seen any indication that EJ wasn't physically able to go in the 2nd half, so there doesn't appear to be reason other than Self is shortening his bench as to why his minutes were cut last night.

Michael Leiker 4 years, 5 months ago

I just kept thinking I was watching Gooden out there last night. What a great game.

Chris Shaw 4 years, 5 months ago

Let's hope that Marcus doesn't run into Chris Wilcox in the final 4.

chriz 4 years, 5 months ago

I don't know about the main site, but why is there no mention of Marcus Morris's great night on the ESPN mobile site?

HawkBBall 4 years, 5 months ago

Tyshawn "Turnover" Taylor lacks the concentration skills to control the ball, to make free throws, or to guard his man. Watch him next time the opposing guard blows by. TTT just drops his arms and watches. He does not play with intensity.

hawk_of_ages 4 years, 5 months ago

Well, TT's in a slump lately, and we need him to snap out of it. On the positive side, however, he did get 4 assists, so I refuse to join the haters' chorus.

Theutus 4 years, 5 months ago

Assists is a tricky category that in my opinion is deceptive... One person could have 10 assists out of sheer luck that another player has a hot hand... Another could have actually created points with their passes, but only got 2 or 3 assists.

I haven't seen anything to show me that TT is anything but an extremely poor passer. His one handed lazy ass passes have cost us multiple times, and sometimes he downright just passes to the wrong team. The kid just isn't a smart basketball player, he never has been, and I don't think he ever will be. He shouldn't be leading a team at the 1 in my opinion, he should instead be utilized as an off-the-bench slashing guard.

hawk_of_ages 4 years, 5 months ago

"Any idiot could do that"

Right. I could play D-1 basketball IN MY SLEEP!

Theutus 4 years, 5 months ago

It doesn't take a ton of skill to hold a basketball, look left, and throw the ball to another person.. Way outside the 3 point line, barely being defended.

HawkBBall 4 years, 5 months ago

In 18 games he has had 94 assists and 52 turnovers. A 1.8 to 1 ratio ain't gettin' it for a starting point guard on a top 5 team, or a "Bob Cousy finalist."

hawk_of_ages 4 years, 5 months ago

I agree that he's underachieving right now. I don't agree with Theutus that he's hopeless and deserves no credit even for the good things he does.

Theutus 4 years, 5 months ago

Where did I say he's hopeless and deserves no credit? I said he shouldn't be a starting 1PG who handles the ball a majority of the time for our team...

I think he would be a great slashing 2 guard off the bench though... Just because I'm not blindly supporting him at the 1 doesn't mean I think he's worthless and can't contribute.

hawk_of_ages 4 years, 5 months ago

"Where did I say he's hopeless and deserves no credit?"

Hopeless: "The kid just isn't a smart basketball player, he never has been, and I don't think he ever will be."

Deserves no credit: "Almost all of TT's assists come from literally just kicking the ball around the perimeter, any idiot could do that..."

Theutus 4 years, 5 months ago

I never said he was hopeless or deserved no credit... I said he should be an off-the-bench player who comes it to slash and break down defenses....

Theutus 4 years, 5 months ago

Sigh, i'm not a fan of this shoddy commenting system... My previous comment didn't show up for five minutes after a few refreshes so I summarized it again, and then the other shows up as well...

Dyrk Dugan 4 years, 5 months ago

sans our poor ball handling and Markieff free throw troubles....it was basically a perfect game for us. and that is with 5-19 from three. we are now 9-43 in our last two games...and we've won them both...on the road.

Yes, not against great teams...but last night showed, exactly what we need to do to win games....we need a quick tempo, we need Marcus driving the ball...we need the twins to rebound...and we need balanced scoring. (Josh had 14). so this is it....in full display..and it's pretty encouraging.

now, if we can just get a bit healthier...(concerns with Elijah and Travis), and our full depth can come every night to bare.....we could have a very special year.

let's smoke NU on Saturday back home, and then it's the big battle on Big Monday in Waco....survive there, and we could be in position to bury KSU in the league race on KS day.

danmoore 4 years, 5 months ago

More concerned about free throws than perimeter defense. The latter can be fixed. Not sure about the former.

Steve Gantz 4 years, 5 months ago

When the 3's aren't dropping like last night I don't get why we shot 19 of them. Especially when we were pounding it inside or driving the lane with success.

I forget the game, I think it was Baylor a couple of years ago that we scored 100 and didn't make 1 three, not sure how many were attempted, but I guess it wasn't that many. The point is you can win without hoisting up dozens of those shots.

oldalum 4 years, 5 months ago

That's just the shooter mentality. Tyrel expressed it best when asked a similar question to yours, about continuing to shoot when they weren't falling. He said, "Shooters always think they're going to go in." Without that confidence, a player would never try a shot from that distance. As long as coach doesn't say NO MORE 3s, I expect them to continue trying.

Steve Brown 4 years, 5 months ago

Marcus: Beast mode.

Our 2nd five one of the best in recent history, correct

Tony Bandle 4 years, 5 months ago

Early NCAA seeding Guess:

West - Kansas- rds 2/3 Tulsa, rds 3/4 Anahiem, rds 6/7 Houston Southwest - OSU- rds 2/3 Chicago, rds 4/5 San Antonio, rds 6/6 Houston Southeast - Syracuse - rds 2/3 Wash DC, rds 4/5 Newark, rds 6/7 Houston East - Duke - Charlotte[of course] rds 2/3, New Orleans rds 4/5, rds 6/7 Houston

Kansas will overrun Tulsa and avoid an early exit. OSU will get a break with Chi-town Syracuse will be really close to home the first four rounds Duke will weasel another cupcake regional with the first two games in their backyard

Chris Shaw 4 years, 5 months ago

Isn't it called the "Midwest" and "South" regions? I agree with your West positioning for KU. Unless KU is the #1 overall seed do they get the Midwest region. note: some sarcasm there but definitely true at times-example 2007 NCAA tournament.

If there are basically 3 true "Eastern" schools in the running for #1 seeds and there is no clear difference than expect KU to get shipped out West. Duke will always without a doubt get placed in the East Region unless UNC is the other #1 seed and then they get shipped to South.

Whomever is highest out of Syracuse and Duke with get the East and the other will get the South and whomever would be highest out of Ohio State and KU would get the Midwest with the other getting shipped out West.

Tony Bandle 4 years, 5 months ago

That's what I thought as well but the names have been revised. I guess North implied the Big Ten and, as we all now that, as a group, they suck at basketball! :)

Tony Bandle 4 years, 5 months ago

kushaw..I'm trying to remember the poster that was always seemed at odds with you. Do you recall his ID? And what happened to soobawls?

Chris Shaw 4 years, 5 months ago

Oh god, please don't bring him back. Not sure where soobawls is, but anthonyzal was the highly intelligent poster that you speak of.

Dan Harris 4 years, 5 months ago

Never thought I would see sb's name on here again

rwhawk 4 years, 5 months ago

How important is Danny Manning to this program!! Amazing!

HawkBBall 4 years, 5 months ago

When you see Kief, Marcus or TRob post down and lay it in, look at Danny smile! He is a great big man teacher.

Roger Tobias 4 years, 5 months ago

Maybe it's just my imagination but it appeared to me we were just going through the motions on our motion/weave offense last night. Seemed to be at about half to 3/4 speed, and therefore the ball would stick. Lots of quick threes that missed early in the shot clock, with not a lot of rebounders in place. When we did move it, they couldn't keep up and we didn't have to rely so much on the twins.

JayHawkFanToo 4 years, 5 months ago

From the ESPN site: "Freshman guard Gary Franklin is transferring to Baylor after starting 11 of California's first 13 games this season.

Baylor coach Scott Drew said Wednesday that the California native has enrolled in classes on the Waco campus. The 6-foot-2 guard will have three seasons of eligibility after sitting out the rest of this season and the 2011 fall semester.

Franklin was averaging 8.2 points for California when he said that he was leaving last week. Cal coach Mike Montgomery said he was disappointed but wished Franklin well.

As a senior at Mater Dei High in Santa Ana, Calif., Franklin averaged 17.4 points, 4.0 assists and 4.0 rebounds a game and was the California Interscholastic Federation player of the year."

What is it about Baylor that is getting top players? Waco is pretty much a dump of a town and Baylor is not known as a BBall destination. Is Coach Drew as crooked as Texas Coach Rick Barnes thinks he is?

hawk_of_ages 4 years, 5 months ago

Ha ha! All your greatest hits collected in one post. Classic!

Theutus 4 years, 5 months ago

lol. I'm really surprised this guy hasn't been banned for being an obvious troll yet....

100 4 years, 5 months ago

Like hawk_of_ages said, this is amazing, it's like every post he's ever written thrown into one post. Its like gold...

But wet...

And smelly....

And upon further investigation...

not gold....

By God this post belongs in the Smithsonian of troll posting!!!!!

The only thing he forgot was to jump all over Coach Gill for stealing his four star speedsters from Nebraska & bringing in the best recruiting class in the history of Kansas football.

bad_dog 4 years, 5 months ago

I wish you would stop equivocating and clarify how you really feel about Brady. Otherwise I'm not sure we'll be able to ascertain your true feelings about him and the amount of playing time he should receive.

Come on, quit beating around the bush. Take off the gloves, cut to the chase, call a spade a spade, leave no rock unturned. Cut out all the technical jargon and for once just put it out there in laymen's terms so we can better understand your position on Brady's playing time.

Jack Wilson 4 years, 5 months ago

I think he meant "troll", as in little, greasy guy that lives under a bridge ...

druroy32 4 years, 5 months ago

I agree. I think that brady shouldn't being playing over alot of people. He is careless with the ball. He is a local kid. That is why he plays and gets so much support.

YuCoJayHawk 4 years, 5 months ago

"not a troll, just a jayhawk looking to improve the team" The LAST thing a 15-0 team needs is a bugeater trying to "improve" the team with disparaging remarks. I'm getting dumber by reading your posts. Help me help you, please stop posting.

YuCoJayHawk 4 years, 5 months ago

KansasComet 4 years, 5 months ago

The best players should play. I don't feel the best players are always playing, but hey, I'm a fan!

jayhawksbiggestfan 4 years, 5 months ago

Tyrel is still the man even after a very mediocre game. Again his play is still great except for the treys not falling. That will all change soon. No behind the back passes low turnovers. Steals, ,assists even when is scoring is low. Umm can we say free throws ?

actorman 4 years, 5 months ago

I encourage everyone to not respond to anything jayhawkinnebr says. It's always tempting to respond to the latest of his never-ending idiotic rants, but maybe if we all stopped responding to anything he said, he would eventually get tired of screaming into a vacuum and would go away. Hey a man can dream, can't he?

Craig Colgin 4 years, 5 months ago

Perhaps you can't read Fakehawkinbreeder, the resounding consensus of the people on this board are beyond ready for you to STFU about Brady, so allow me to say this to you one more time YOUR FIRED!!!!!!!!!

Woody Cragg 4 years, 5 months ago

This entire article is filled with comments about this d*ck or his own. Every hour or so he comes back out of he woodwork like a roach & puts out his $hit. And if you stop & think about it, that's what he wants-attention. His Mama didn't give him enough when he was a baby, but she gave it to everybody else!!!!! Neb sucks and next year nobody will give a hoot about em in the Big 10, so he has to get "the love" now. I'm all for flagging everything he puts out here and ignoring anything that isn't. What a waste of time for him-absolutely no life, no ambition, and positively no courtesy.

rwhawk 4 years, 5 months ago

Not taking any sides here, but I'm just curious if anyone else feels like Brady was better on the court last year than this year? I always liked Brady, he's no superstar but a good role player. Maybe I expected him to always be a little better and my expectations are too high, or maybe he benefited a lot more from 3 NBA draft picks than I realized, or maybe I am just not paying enough attention to the games (like any jayhawk fan can be accused of that!). Thoughts?

Theutus 4 years, 5 months ago

I think Brady played better last year... I had this conversation with a couple buddies, and we all came to the conclusion that he looks just off his game... We all figured maybe it was because he knew this was his last year and he was probably going to lose minutes to some other guys, or he had some off the court stuff going on...

Regardless, he doesn't look like himself out there. I'm not Brady basher, although I do believe he needs to cough up some minutes to EJ/Rele/Little... I still believe Brady is good for 15 minutes of terrorizing someone on the defensive end every game.

bad_dog 4 years, 5 months ago

Theutus, I completely concur with your post. I think he's played better in the past and wonder whether the ticket scandal is causing a distraction for him and his family.

Just speculation on my part, but I've seen posts in other articles on the LJW pointing the finger at Roger...

I really hope not.

Good luck with the balance of the season, Brady. No matter how much you actually play, you're still one of us.

Steve Kubler 4 years, 5 months ago

My thought is Brady fit last years team better in that the offensive 'frequency" (I love that term) was slower and more deliberate to match Cole's play. This year is just enough higher pitched to throw him off a bit. I would have thought he would have adjusted by now but it is a possibility.

Last game was his best in quite awhile other than the strange decision on the one pass. I might complain about his player blowing by him but no one else could stop him either.

actorman 4 years, 5 months ago

Interesting comments and good points about Brady's game this year vs. last year. I too have been disappointed that he hasn't played better in general, although like Kubie I was encouraged by his play in the ISU game, so hopefully that's a good sign for the conference season.

jhawkr 4 years, 5 months ago

I believe defensively that Brady was better two years ago. That is when he earned his stripes for those that like him. However, I have to admit that this year his defense is no where near what it used to be. Now slow white guys drive by him at will at times. He does add some offense on occasion and can usually hit his FT's which could keep him on the court late in games.

As for the twins, well we need everything they can bring to the table in the form of points and rebounds. But they really kill us with bad outlet passes, taking 3 pt. shots at will, and inconsistent FT shooting. When they really want to apply themselves on defense they get a lot more rebounds.

But until the Hawks as a team decide to play better team defense, we are doomed in the long run. Does anyone blockout after a shot on defense any more ? Too many average guards are allowed time and time again to penetrate at will for the foul or the easy bucket. Couple that with our ability to allow most teams to shoot the 3 pt. shot at will, and a hot shooting team will kill us.