Kansas defeats Iowa State, 84-79

• 8 p.m., Jan. 12, 2011
  • Hilton Coliseum, Ames, IA

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Double whammy: KU’s Marcus Morris erupts for 33 against Iowa State

Kansas forward Marcus Morris (22) clenches his fists as he and twin brother Markieff head back on defense after a Jayhawk bucket against Iowa State during the second half. Marcus had 33 points and Markieff 17 in the Jayhawks’ 84-79 victory Wednesday in Ames, Iowa.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self

Kansas coach Bill Self talks to reporters following the Jayhawks' 84-79 victory over Iowa State on Jan. 13, 2011.

Download podcast

— Marcus Morris, who exploded for a career-high 33 points and grabbed a career-best 13 rebounds in Kansas University’s Big 12 opener on Wednesday night, grinned when asked if he’s planning on similar production each and every night during the conference season.

“I can try. I definitely can try,” Morris said after his 22-point second-half outburst helped the Jayhawks (16-0, 1-0) outlast gritty Iowa State (13-4, 0-2), 84-79, in Hilton Coliseum.

“I personally think there will be games Kieff can get 30 and Selby can get 30,” he added of Markieff Morris and Josh Selby, who scored 17 and 14 respectively Wednesday. “I had an on-night tonight. There’s other players on my team who can do it, too.”

On this night, it was Morris, Morris and more Morris.

“I just felt I had to take the game over,” said the 6-foot-9 junior forward, who hit 11 of 15 shots and 11 of 14 free throws, surpassing his old career high of 26 points, set against Lehigh last season and Ohio earlier this season. He had 11 rebounds against Valparaiso back on Nov. 15.

“The shots were falling. I made my free throws tonight. My teammates kept going to me, and I was able to deliver.”

Why the desire to take over on this night?

“Because the crowd was into it. I felt somebody had to step up,” said Morris.

His 33 points were the most by a Jayhawk since Sherron Collins’ 33 versus Cornell last season. It was the most points by a KU player in a conference game since Julian Wright hit for 33 at Missouri in February of 2007.

“I showed I’m a leader and put the load on my back,” Morris said.

His second-half production came on a night the Jayhawks saw a 13-point first-half lead dip to one point 4 1/2 minutes into the second half and another 12-point lead dip to three down the stretch.

“I feel this is my year to step up. I feel I can do that. I never get into personal duels,” he added, asked if he felt he had to outshine ISU’s Diante Garrett, who scored 27 points off 11-of-25 shooting.

“Garrett was terrific, though. I had to congratulate him after the game. I didn’t know he was that good of a player. He’s great, and Vanderbeken (Jamie, 19 points, 4-for-10 from three), too. Iowa State is going to beat a lot of teams.”

KU coach Bill Self marveled at Morris’ performance.

“Marcus was great. It probably was his best game since he’s been at KU,” said Self, whose teams have won seven in a row in Ames. “Kieff was good, too. If he makes free throws (five of 11), he has a heck of a game. Those two get 50 points and 24 rebounds in 54 minutes. That’s pretty good.

“But Marcus was spectacular tonight.”

Self said, “no, no” when asked if he’d ever seen Marcus take over a game like that.

“He did it every way,” Self said. “I don’t think he made a three, but he made perimeter jumpers. He drove it. That’s one thing we’ve been trying to get him to do is drive the bigs. He did a great job driving the bigs, making plays when the game was on the line.

“I don’t think Marcus has been in rhythm until about a week ago. He played really well at Michigan, too. In November he was terrific. December, I don’t think he ever got in rhythm. Since Christmas, he’s played very well.”

Self repeated a line from earlier this season when he said Marcus, “does more things than anybody else we’ve coached. When he plays with energy and passion, he’s hard to guard. And he can defend, too.

“We haven’t had anybody make threes, get it off the bounce, get it off the catch and go to the post like him. When he’s geeked up and active, he can do so many things.”

And he’s having a blast, saying he “loves” his teammates and loves the potential of this team.

Frank as always, he gave a midseason update on his NBA status as well.

“You never know. You never know,” he said, asked if he’ll return to KU for a senior season. “My focus is only on the season right now. I would really think about coming back. I’m looking forward to coming back, but you never know.”

Comments

jhawkr 3 years, 3 months ago

I believe defensively that Brady was better two years ago. That is when he earned his stripes for those that like him. However, I have to admit that this year his defense is no where near what it used to be. Now slow white guys drive by him at will at times. He does add some offense on occasion and can usually hit his FT's which could keep him on the court late in games.

As for the twins, well we need everything they can bring to the table in the form of points and rebounds. But they really kill us with bad outlet passes, taking 3 pt. shots at will, and inconsistent FT shooting. When they really want to apply themselves on defense they get a lot more rebounds.

But until the Hawks as a team decide to play better team defense, we are doomed in the long run. Does anyone blockout after a shot on defense any more ? Too many average guards are allowed time and time again to penetrate at will for the foul or the easy bucket. Couple that with our ability to allow most teams to shoot the 3 pt. shot at will, and a hot shooting team will kill us.

actorman 3 years, 3 months ago

Interesting comments and good points about Brady's game this year vs. last year. I too have been disappointed that he hasn't played better in general, although like Kubie I was encouraged by his play in the ISU game, so hopefully that's a good sign for the conference season.

rwhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

Not taking any sides here, but I'm just curious if anyone else feels like Brady was better on the court last year than this year? I always liked Brady, he's no superstar but a good role player. Maybe I expected him to always be a little better and my expectations are too high, or maybe he benefited a lot more from 3 NBA draft picks than I realized, or maybe I am just not paying enough attention to the games (like any jayhawk fan can be accused of that!). Thoughts?

cragarhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

Perhaps you can't read Fakehawkinbreeder, the resounding consensus of the people on this board are beyond ready for you to STFU about Brady, so allow me to say this to you one more time YOUR FIRED!!!!!!!!!

jayhawkinnebr 3 years, 3 months ago

actorman, are you the big man on here or just the little pipsqueak that you really are, and we all know which one you really are. You talk about dream, thats about all you are just a big dream. If you can contribute anything on here, do us all a favor and get lost.

actorman 3 years, 3 months ago

I encourage everyone to not respond to anything jayhawkinnebr says. It's always tempting to respond to the latest of his never-ending idiotic rants, but maybe if we all stopped responding to anything he said, he would eventually get tired of screaming into a vacuum and would go away. Hey a man can dream, can't he?

jayhawksbiggestfan 3 years, 3 months ago

Tyrel is still the man even after a very mediocre game. Again his play is still great except for the treys not falling. That will all change soon. No behind the back passes low turnovers. Steals, ,assists even when is scoring is low. Umm can we say free throws ?

jayhawkinnebr 3 years, 3 months ago

Kansascomet, you are correct, the best players are not playing when Brady is on the floor. There are better and more productive players sitting on the bench when 5th year senior, I can't believe a 5th year senior could be that bad, is out there making an a-- of him self acting like a immature freshman that doesn't know what he is doing. Not all freshman are like that, and we have some sitting on the bench that could do as much or more than scared face Brady. A 5th year senior should be playing like Selby or Taylor, not a dud.

KansasComet 3 years, 3 months ago

The best players should play. I don't feel the best players are always playing, but hey, I'm a fan!

jayhawkinnebr 3 years, 3 months ago

Theutus, not a troll, my friend, just someone that tells it like it is. Just like I have said that this team would be a lot better with Brady on the bench and the other players are the ones that have better potential and will contribute more to the team. Brady is a 5th senior failure. Johnson, Releford, and Little are the ones that should be getting the time on the floor, even Woolridge and Roberts need to be worked in carefully and with short mins. at a time when the score warrant its. So, I am not a troll my ignorant friend, just a jayhawk looking to improve the team.

jayhawkinnebr 3 years, 3 months ago

Wonder if Brady is going to do any fancy behind the back passing again or shoulder hits, technical fouls, flub a free throw. This kid is pulling this team down. I say give him a can of beer, sit him on the sidelines and he will be happy. This kid can't play worth a damn, but Bill still puts him in. I don't think we will see much of him if Ku gets into a close game. If he does Ku will lose for sure. He is a nonfactor, and sure can't play like his dad did. Now Roger was a really a good player, and if at that time there was a 3 point line, Roger would be the one taking that shot. He was real good out there, beyond what would be the 3 point mark.. It's a wonder how Roger ended up with such a dud as Brady for a player. I suppose KU will move up in the polls but, that is not the directions that they should be going, they are overrated by 10-15 spots. I have watch KU basketball, many, many years and I haven't see a player like Brady drag a team down so much. Yea, a lot of them couldn't contribute like the others but, didn't disrupt the chemistry like Brady does. Hopefully we can get the other players back and reduce Bradys mins., that will be a big help.

JayHawkFanToo 3 years, 3 months ago

From the ESPN site: "Freshman guard Gary Franklin is transferring to Baylor after starting 11 of California's first 13 games this season.

Baylor coach Scott Drew said Wednesday that the California native has enrolled in classes on the Waco campus. The 6-foot-2 guard will have three seasons of eligibility after sitting out the rest of this season and the 2011 fall semester.

Franklin was averaging 8.2 points for California when he said that he was leaving last week. Cal coach Mike Montgomery said he was disappointed but wished Franklin well.

As a senior at Mater Dei High in Santa Ana, Calif., Franklin averaged 17.4 points, 4.0 assists and 4.0 rebounds a game and was the California Interscholastic Federation player of the year."

What is it about Baylor that is getting top players? Waco is pretty much a dump of a town and Baylor is not known as a BBall destination. Is Coach Drew as crooked as Texas Coach Rick Barnes thinks he is?

Roger Tobias 3 years, 3 months ago

Maybe it's just my imagination but it appeared to me we were just going through the motions on our motion/weave offense last night. Seemed to be at about half to 3/4 speed, and therefore the ball would stick. Lots of quick threes that missed early in the shot clock, with not a lot of rebounders in place. When we did move it, they couldn't keep up and we didn't have to rely so much on the twins.

rwhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

How important is Danny Manning to this program!! Amazing!

Tony Bandle 3 years, 3 months ago

Early NCAA seeding Guess:

West - Kansas- rds 2/3 Tulsa, rds 3/4 Anahiem, rds 6/7 Houston Southwest - OSU- rds 2/3 Chicago, rds 4/5 San Antonio, rds 6/6 Houston Southeast - Syracuse - rds 2/3 Wash DC, rds 4/5 Newark, rds 6/7 Houston East - Duke - Charlotte[of course] rds 2/3, New Orleans rds 4/5, rds 6/7 Houston

Kansas will overrun Tulsa and avoid an early exit. OSU will get a break with Chi-town Syracuse will be really close to home the first four rounds Duke will weasel another cupcake regional with the first two games in their backyard

Steve Brown 3 years, 3 months ago

Marcus: Beast mode.

Our 2nd five one of the best in recent history, correct

Steve Gantz 3 years, 3 months ago

When the 3's aren't dropping like last night I don't get why we shot 19 of them. Especially when we were pounding it inside or driving the lane with success.

I forget the game, I think it was Baylor a couple of years ago that we scored 100 and didn't make 1 three, not sure how many were attempted, but I guess it wasn't that many. The point is you can win without hoisting up dozens of those shots.

danmoore 3 years, 3 months ago

More concerned about free throws than perimeter defense. The latter can be fixed. Not sure about the former.

Dyrk Dugan 3 years, 3 months ago

sans our poor ball handling and Markieff free throw troubles....it was basically a perfect game for us. and that is with 5-19 from three. we are now 9-43 in our last two games...and we've won them both...on the road.

Yes, not against great teams...but last night showed, exactly what we need to do to win games....we need a quick tempo, we need Marcus driving the ball...we need the twins to rebound...and we need balanced scoring. (Josh had 14). so this is it....in full display..and it's pretty encouraging.

now, if we can just get a bit healthier...(concerns with Elijah and Travis), and our full depth can come every night to bare.....we could have a very special year.

let's smoke NU on Saturday back home, and then it's the big battle on Big Monday in Waco....survive there, and we could be in position to bury KSU in the league race on KS day.

Lebowski 3 years, 3 months ago

I just don't care to see Markieff or Tyshawn shoot any more threes. Or inbound the basketball... or carelessly let someone pick their pockets from behind... or throw up free throws without looking like they're concentrating. Markieff gets the ball down low and is tenacious on the boards, he's a lot for the other team to handle... so that helps us forget all about the many careless brainfarts he has damn near every game.

Tyshawn, on the other hand, if I was jayhawkinnebr, would be my Brady. I'd rather watch EJ or Woolridge play all game and get more experience. At least for the first half or so of the conference season. Maybe it would be good for Tyshawn. I think he's the type of player who should have played for Bobby Knight. Needs someone on his ass 24/7.

chriz 3 years, 3 months ago

I don't know about the main site, but why is there no mention of Marcus Morris's great night on the ESPN mobile site?

Michael Leiker 3 years, 3 months ago

I just kept thinking I was watching Gooden out there last night. What a great game.

Hank Cross 3 years, 3 months ago

Based on the last few games, season trends, and history, I'd say the minute rotation going forward will be: McM and Selby - 30 minutes; MkM, Tyrel, TT, Brady - 25 min a piece; Mario, Travis, TRobb, EJ - 10 min a piece; and, Withey - break in case of fire, garbage time.

Loses 1, maybe 2 games in conference.

Wins 1, maybe 2 games in the tourney. Loss occurs when a team has a strong enough inside pressence to neutralize the twins and Selby has a cold shooting night.

Dirk Andrews 3 years, 3 months ago

We are such a great team when the Twins are pumped up and play hard. Mario Little had some great minutes too. Brady played good, passed the ball well...overall a great game.

Jacobpaul81 3 years, 3 months ago

Once again, 3 pt shots are a burden for us. If we hit them, we blow teams away. If we shoot 19 and hit 5, we've wasted possessions. If they'd take no more than 15 - 3 pt shots, be a bit more selective with their shooting, this team would improve immensely.

jayhawktalk 3 years, 3 months ago

The twins were amazing. I am surprised there hasn't been a comment, yet, about their taking the ball at the hole instead of settling for a fall away shot. They got to the line frequently and got the ISU bigs in foul trouble. If there was any question before last night who the best player is on this team, I think that has been put to sleep.

We better learn to play against a zone...

REHawk 3 years, 3 months ago

Seemed to me that our smoothest guard flow occurred with Tyrel-Josh-Brady minutes. Tyshawn played like a freshman. Elijah's reoccurring shoulder injury stymied his progress. Most effective guard combos might change vs. various opponents, but Brady was more solid than Taylor in this particular matchup. If Tyshawn could cut his shooting by 50% and up his assists by 50% he might become a bonafide topflight point guard. His terrific athleticism gets wrecked by his craving for scoring highlights.

ChalmersForTheTie7568 3 years, 3 months ago

The Good: Marcus showed he's capable of being a go-to guy when we need a bucket late. Selby showed the ability to get to the hole when his shot isn't falling. We dominated the glass (43-31). We showed the ability to play short-handed (Travis out, Elijah in and out, T-Rob in foul trouble). We showed some signs of being able to get out and run - I haven't seen a Kansas team get the ball up the court that fast after a made basket since ole Roy was throwing his blazer into the 15th row at AFH.

The Bad: We were sub-par from beyond the arch (26%), missing too many open threes missed. We were sub-par from the free throw line (61% - although if you take Markieffs 5-11 out we shot 70% - still not great) and made some silly turnovers off defensive rebounds (16 turnovers,15 assist total - not the way we started off the year). Markieff had some bad shots early in posessions that led to ISU buckets, T-Rob made some silly fouls, and yet again we had a team on the ropes and couldn't put them away.

The Bottom Line: We're 1-0 in conference play after winning on the road at one of the Big 12's 2 or 3 hardest places to win (We all know #1, I give Gallagher-Iba the nod over Hilton - still, Hilton is tough). This team is starting to remind me of last year's squad that under-achieved but just kept winning. My concern is that this will be another one of those teams that never realizes its full potential. Plenty of season left to find out...

tauck 3 years, 3 months ago

can someone teach these kids how to shoot free throws

Greg Lux 3 years, 3 months ago

Awesome and you can do it every game you play ... I hope to see it every game for the next 3 months. Now no excuses .. you know you can and I believe you will.

Congrats Twins.....

Rock Chalk

Tony Bandle 3 years, 3 months ago

Markieff keeps this up we may be looking at two extra scholarships for next year that can be put toward 2012.

For arguments sake, figure Nadiir, Daniels, McLemore and Chol coming in and with Brady, Mario, Tyrel gone and Marcus, Markieff and Josh possibly leaving.

That would leave a lot of playing time on the board, losing 6 of your top 9 rotation.

How does this look:
Taylor, McLemore,Withey, TRob and Releford -Starters Nadiir, Daniels, Chol, Woolridge.

Looks a little scary to me, especially with the new Home/Home schedule for the Big 12/10. Texas there, KSU there, Baylor there, A$M there Okie ST there, Misery there. Even OU, ISU and Tech with a new coach will be tough.at their places.

Kye Clark 3 years, 3 months ago

• Getting Marcus to get his elbows under control. They showed a replay last night of him coming close to nailing an Iowa St. player with one, and the officials went to the monitor to review a play in the Michigan game. No elbow was thrown, but he has developed a reputation, and it would be devastating for him to get caught throwing one of those in a tournament game.

• Settling on a rotation, and establishing team chemistry. I don't think we've had a game this year with our full compliment of players. I think there are only a small handful of players who know their roles. Selby and the Twins are going to start and get as many minutes as their conditioning and foul trouble allow. I think more times than not TRob is going to get major minutes as the 3rd big. And apparently Bill is going to play Brady tons of minutes until he finally runs out of eligibility. But it might be time to re-evaluate Reed and Tyshawn's roles. Tyshawn continues to be in a funk since Selby became eligible, and Reed might be better served coming off the bench with slightly reduced minutes. Travis, Little, EJ, and Withey have to all be unsure how much they will play from game to game. I know with such a deep team some of the minutes have to be allocated based on performance in practice and games, but I'd guess that performance would improve for some of these players with more defined roles and minutes.

Kye Clark 3 years, 3 months ago

It sure was fun to watch the Twins last night. Selby had some decent drives to the hoop. And Mario Little's performance was a nice shot in the arm. Some things to work on:

• Getting TRob back on track. After having the best game of his career against Texas-Arlington, coach Self plays Withey more minutes the following game and TRob has looked out of sync ever since. It's possible that following game (against Miami OH) was just an anomaly and he has since been struggling since the death of his grandmother. Regardless, he was arguably KU's 3rd best player behind the Morris Twins for the first stretch of games this season, and getting him back on track will be imperative.

• Perimeter defense. KU touched on this earlier. Elijah has been deficient all year, Selby is just a freshman learning to stay with his man, Brady plays good at getting through screens but is routinely beat off the dribble, and last night neither Tyrel nor Tyshawn could stay with their man. That being said, they have to be given some credit for holding opponents to low 3-pt shooting percentages. It is just too easy to simply say "they missed a lot of open looks". Kansas ranks second in the nation at 3-pt FG% defense at 24.7%, so there are some positives to our perimeter defense.

• Transition defense. Iowa State had more fast break chances against us than any team I've seen this year. You wouldn't think a team with almost no depth would be beating us down the court very often, including a couple of times off of made baskets, but that was the case last night. One game isn't necessarily cause for concern, but best to address this problem before it leads to bad habits and becomes a trend.

• Valuing the basketball. Two games in a row we've thrown the ball away off of an inbound pass following a made basket by our opponents, and it's happened a couple of other times during the season (I know TRob did this one game early in the first half and it earned him a spot on the bench for the rest of the half). These types of plays leads to scoring runs against us that are probably most responsible for some of these teams staying in the game against us as opposed to getting boat-raced.

jayhawkinnebr 3 years, 3 months ago

Well, KU won't be able to depend on the two Morris boys for every game like they did last night at I ST. It is crystal clear now that KU is way overrated with the way they struggled pretty much the whole game. I could see KU ending up at #5 or #6 in the big 12 behind, Texas, Missouri, Kansas ST. Texas A&M, Nebraska or Colorado. Nebraska played and beat I ST. here. Doc Sadler said this morning on his morning show that, he and the team is ready to go to Phog Allen on Saturday. He said that there could be a record breaking show in Lawrence after watching IST and KU game last night. Brady showed that he is a dud again last night. Losing his man and a stupid pass that cost KU a basket. Even Hubert Davis said that it was a stupid pass. Notice that when he was in the game that the team struggled and the gap in the lead dropped. When he was out, the team got a greater lead. Give Brady a can of beer and let him suck on that. Poor, poor, excuse for a 5th year senior. Little needs the mins. he did a pretty good job for being out a spell. Ku needs more production from the back court, which was lacking last night. Selby did contribute but more was needed from others. Reed didn't have the game that he is accustom too. We will see how KU measures up to NU Saturday. Bill needs to start coaching up this team as it lacking with some poor decisions he is making.

KU_FanSince75 3 years, 3 months ago

I know I wouldn't ask him about the NBA, but last night, Marcus was an NBA player and I'm sure there were some NBA scouts just drooling over his performance. I thought Mario had a nice game off the bench. I was happy for him for all the stuff he's been through. Next victim---Nebraska!

kcglowboy 3 years, 3 months ago

NBA questions already??? C'mon Gary. Was that really necessary? You wrote, as usual, a solid game recap and analysis. Why did you have to go and ruin it by injecting the NBA talk so early in the season? You guys just can't resist, can you? Unless the player brings it up himself, unprovoked, there is no earthly reason to start this conversation IN MID JANUARY! None. Zilch.

hawksince51 3 years, 3 months ago

Marcus played one of the greatest all-around games I have seen by a big man at KU. And Kieff was really good as well. That is 2 great games in a row for the Twins. I thought Mario played well after his long layoff. I have always expected him to contribute off the bench, or maybe eventually start at the 3. And, Selby bounced back from his poor shooting at Michigan and showed a couple of nice inside moves.
I was disappointed that the young ISU coach did not stay with the zone as I feel we need practice against it. I still predict we will see more of it in the conference when the other coaches review the film and see how the Morris Twins wrecked ISU inside. But we will handle it pretty well if we can pass the ball the way we did last night.

HawkBBall 3 years, 3 months ago

Marcus, you rock. Tyshawn and Josh, 3 TO's each, and neither one of you played defense. Both played matador and let ISU's guards penetrate at will. If we can't choke off the guard penetration on defense, then we won't run the Big 12.

KGphoto 3 years, 3 months ago

Absolutely loved watching Danny Manning last night. He could hardly contain himself. He was just like a proud papa, and for good reason. He saw a little of himself out there for the first time as a Kansas coach. We all did.

TimmytheJayhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

WOW! What a game from Marcus! Amazing!

I too loved it when he got up from that hard foul and didn't pout or get mad... just score, baby!

Awesome!

hawksfan08 3 years, 3 months ago

It's encouraging to see that there might finally be a bit of separation between our players so Self can start to determine what we have as a team. It's pretty clear that the Morii and Selby are going to be 3 of the 5 players on the floor at the end of the game. The other 2 spots are going to depend on matchups and who is playing well. Between injuries and inconsistent play from the younger guys, it was nice to see Little and Morningstar step up last night. This was a perfect matchup for both of their games.

My only concern coming away from the game was stupid plays keeping ISU in the game. 3 outlet pass turnovers without even getting the ball over half court resulting in 3 3-pointers (might have even been 4). 2 lane violations, one giving them an extra point, one taking a point away from us. That's 11 points to ISU that kept this game close. I'm also not sure why the ball wasn't in Tyrel's hand at every moment possible at the end of the game. The guy is a 90%+ free throw shooter. Get him the ball.

All that side, I hate playing at Hilton and any win there regardless of the margin is a good win in my book.

gongs4ku 3 years, 3 months ago

The twins sure have come a long way since their bonehead freshman (and sometimes sophomore) seasons.

r0ckchalk311 3 years, 3 months ago

The two headed Morris Monster was RAGING last night! Very good to see Marcus take control. Great to have Little back in the mix too.

clevelandjayhawker 3 years, 3 months ago

The good- Road Win, Brady hits a 3 and the alley opp pass he had to Kief, the TWINS!!!, hustle/effort, never trailed, 16-0

The bad- Who stole TROB's mins? I understand Mario taking some, but that many? Brady's behind the back pass, where was our guard play last night? stopping the drive, our zone press, Kief throwing elbows while at the top of the 3 point line late (luckily no contact or foul called), hearing "Hilton Magic" 30 times

The UGLY- Dick Vitale got a contract extension through 21014-15, that Dumb shake it printer/staples commercial last night i saw no less than 8 times

We are going to be #2 in the rankings, but if Iowa State or Michigan had made 2-3 threes we would be #15 or so.... We need to get buckets when we are up 8-10 and push it to 20+...step on their throats.... Rock Chalk

Mike Bratisax 3 years, 3 months ago

Any Conference road win is a good win...

The twins were unbelievable! Marcus was on fire. I thought the score was closer than it should have been but EVERY time they made a run, we answered.

Biggest criticism was perimeter defense.

And getting to see K-State's final minutes was a bonus.

oldalum 3 years, 3 months ago

The odd thing is, Keiff is usually the one you can count on to hit the free throws. I think he has a 72% average. He was just off last night. A couple misses, and I expect the confidence takes a hit.

NH_JHawk 3 years, 3 months ago

"I personally think there will be games Kieff can get 30 and Selby can get 30,”

No chance of Kieff ever scoring 30 if he continues to shoot 5 of 11 at the FT line. The Morris' can do it all: 3pt range, turn around j's, fadeaways, drive and get to the rim, dunks, so why not FTs?

Otw...fun game to watch!

Steve Gantz 3 years, 3 months ago

Remember the twins as freshmen and we all (ok, MOST of us) ranted about the twins frustrating play. They've come along way. Meanwhile Jason King makes these predictions on Yahoo sports: "Kansas will lose at least four Big 12 games but will still win the league title." "Final Four picks: Ohio State, Kansas, Missouri and Pittsburgh." Oh and this juicy little tidbit: "Duke will finish the regular season undefeated but won’t make the Final Four" I hope he gets half of that right!

KU 3 years, 3 months ago

Perimeter defense, once again, will be the Achilles' Heal of KU's team. And as I have said all along, we will truly miss Aldrich more than anyone could have imagined when it comes to March. He masked our poor perimeter defense for years. ISU's guards schooled us all night. Fortunately, Christopherson (?) had a little bit of an off night, especially in the first half. They were able to drive at will against our 1 and 2 guards and find the open man in the corner for wide open 3's. I have no idea why we were helping off Garrett to TRY to stop dribble penetration.

Janet Scott 3 years, 3 months ago

Yes, the twins were solid; Marcus very good, indeed. But, I thought Little was a key, too; and played very well, considering the lay off. His head was in the game and he made more than several key plays at crunch times. KU will need Little down the stretch - I'm pleased he's back.

Hank Cross 3 years, 3 months ago

Good game, but not much learned. Despite the score, it was never really that close. I thought it was obvious KU was going to win early on when ISU showed no ability/inclination to stop the twins.

Tam Bui 3 years, 3 months ago

I saw a monster today! I was so scared, that I think I saw two of them! 50 points...not to take anything away from Marcus's career highs, but I love that we have Markieff on our team too. Great job, guys!

YuCoJayHawk 3 years, 3 months ago

I'm sure there will be some more posters who were not too pleased with KU once again getting a double digit lead and then letting their opponent off the hook. Maybe no killer instinct, maybe not. Maybe KU hasn't really played anyone yet, maybe not. Maybe KU wins the big 12, maybe not. Maybe KU deserves to be no. 1 in the country now, maybe not. But..... when we get to the end of the season, and KU wins those last 6 games, no one is going to whine about giving up double digit leads or the strength of the schedule. We will simply bask in the glow of another championship.

HawkNVegas 3 years, 3 months ago

Way to go Marcus, keep leaving it all out there on the court. Your progress has been amazing. Rock Chalk Jayhawk.

Bill Skeet 3 years, 3 months ago

33 points and 13 rebounds in 27 minutes: Well done!

That was an outstanding performance. Congratulations to Marcus!