Originally published February 22, 2011 at 11:20a.m., updated February 23, 2011 at 01:37a.m.

Tyrel Reed named first-team academic All-American

Kansas guard Tyrel Reed (14) drives past Colorado forward Marcus Relphorde during the first half Tuesday, Jan. 25, 2011, in Boulder, Colo.

Tyrel Reed, who is the only Kansas University basketball player to have started all 28 games during the 2010-11 season, has proven as steady in the classroom as on the court.

The 6-foot-3 senior from Burlington on Tuesday was named first-team Academic All-America. It’s an award chosen by the College Sports Information Directors of America and sponsored by Capital One.

“What a great achievement for Tyrel,” KU coach Bill Self said. “To have two guys on the first team back-to-back years is a great accomplishment to the academic support we have here for our guys. This honor is a testimony to how hard Tyrel has worked. I couldn’t be happier or more proud of an individual. To me, this is bigger than making any athletic team,” Self added.

Reed’s former roommate, Cole Aldrich of the NBA’s Oklahoma City Thunder, was a first-teamer last year as well as Academic All-American of the year.

Butler’s Matt Howard won the top honor this year. He and Reed were joined on the first team by Notre Dame’s Tim Abromaitis, Northern Colorado’s Devon Beitzel and North Carolina’s Tyler Zeller.

“This is an amazing award and I’m just so excited about receiving it,” Reed said. “We have a great support staff here with Scooter (Scott Ward, associate AD) being a great academic adviser. I credit my teammates who supported me as well as a great coaching staff.”

A pre-physical therapy and exercise science major with a 3.65 grade-point average, Reed graduated from KU in December.

“My goal when I got here was to be the best student I could be and have something to fall back on when I am done with basketball. It’s just a really cool honor to get and I am very blessed,” Reed said.

Reed became KU’s 15th basketball Academic All-America first-team selection. The others: Bud Stallworth (1971), Tom Kivisto (1974), Cris Barnthouse (1977), Ken Koenigs (1977, 78), Darnell Valentine (1979, 80, 81), David Magley (1982), Jacque Vaughn (1996, 97), Jerod Haase (1997), Ryan Robertson (1999) and Aldrich (2010).

Reed intends to earn an advanced degree in physical therapy at KU Medical School, but isn’t sure when he’ll do that.

“I talked to the PT school and I can defer my acceptance for a couple of years,” Reed said. “I’m excited about that.”

He will look into playing ball professionally.

“I’d love to see what my opportunities are in that direction and just kind of go where the wind blows me,” said Reed, who averages 9.8 points a game, fourth-best mark on the team. He’s made 38.8 percent of his threes and 83.1 percent of his free throws.

“I give a lot of credit to my parents,” Reed said of his father Stacey and mother Debbie. “They raised me and my sister (Lacie) in a household that fostered an environment that was conducive to learning and always wanting us to strive to do our best.”

Comments

kerbyd 3 years, 1 month ago

Might I also add that I am sooooo thankful we DO NOT have coaches like, Calhoun, Pearl, Pitino, Calipari, etc., etc. But instead have an incredibly class act in Bill Self.

trader 3 years, 1 month ago

I was in Burlington, Kansas years ago taking a motorcycle riding class at the high school. We went inside to do our classroom work and walked past the gym. There was this young scrawny kid in there shooting 3 point shots. Our instructor said "that kid" is going to be playing basketball at Kansas after he graduates from high school next year. I asked how he got access to the gym during the summer months. I was told his dad was the high school coach. And, he added that "the kid" practices for hours on end every day. So, that is the rest of the story...hard work did pay off.

kubiggestfan 3 years, 1 month ago

Congratulations, this is what I like to see in Athletes.....Job Well Done.

BMonstaC 3 years, 1 month ago

Congratulations Tyrel. Couldn't be happier for you and your family. Hard work and attention to detail pays off. Your family and the entire Jayhawk nation should be very proud of you in this great achievement. Speaks volumes about KU and the Kid. BTW---there is a place in Allen Fieldhouse where the Academic All-Americans are honored. It's back in one of the hallways but I have a picture of Cole there when they put his name up. Make room for the name of one more great Jayhawk!

Benjamin Piehler 3 years, 1 month ago

great player, great attitude. one of the nicest guys you'll meet, congrats.

lee3022 3 years, 1 month ago

"To me, this is bigger than making any athletic team,” Self added"

Exactly. I do hope there is a separate section in the Allen Field House Hall for Academic All-Americans. These are our finest.

SaulGood 3 years, 1 month ago

Congrats Tyrel! And they say we have "character problems" here on ESPN!

Tony Bandle 3 years, 1 month ago

The LJW needed to put up that picture of Reed massaging that hot Lady Jayhawk Bball player.......that would have truly shown how much smarter he is than the rest of us.

[PS That photo set off one of the all-time great posting strings!!!]

ralphralph 3 years, 1 month ago

Ty is a good kid who has taken some athletic talent and added a tremendous amount of hard work to become a solid Division I college basketball player. Really, he could have cruised and partied and hung out and been a top Div II player, with no pressure or hassle, but instead chose to get up every morning before the sun and work his butt off to see how far he could go. That's a hard choice to make, and takes a tremendous self-discipline to maintain. Obviously, he carried that same approach into the classroom, where he is a bright kid who became a top student by working harder than he was expected to.

On top of that --- have you met this kid? --- he is genuine humble, and just plain nice; and, he is really appreciative of where he is and what he is getting to do. Contrast that to more than a few college athletes who think they are owed everything and obligated for nothing, and it makes him stand out. All that talent, good sense, hard work and self-discipline --- without the ego and attitude of entitlement --- that's a damn fine thing to see.

Lance Hobson 3 years, 2 months ago

Congratulations on a great acheivement, it's good to see at least one guy on the team has a future outside of basketball.

That said, what is the deal with Tyrel? We read every year about his boot camp dominance, unbelievable vertical leap, and impressive stats in the weight room, yet he still looks and plays like a one-dimensional slow white guy.

On an aside, I have a theory on getting to the Final 4 that has proven fairly accurate over the years. We need our main three-point threats to shoot at least 40% during the season for us to make it to the Final 4. Reed's 38.8 has Sweet 16 or second round upset written all over it. Maybe he can get hot in the next couple of weeks and improve the average before the tourney.

gchawk 3 years, 2 months ago

Congrats Tyrel, just an amazing accomplishment. Very proud of you.

dek9219 3 years, 2 months ago

Great job Tyrell. You will always be one of my favorite Jayhawks. That's a great achievement. You are an inspiration to all young high school kids both players and non players. YOU will be greatly missed next year. Good luck the rest of the season and from then on in your future.

mikehawk 3 years, 2 months ago

My wife and I drive north on U. S. 75 from Tulsa to Topeka, through Burlington, KS, home of Tyrel Reed, on our way to visit my in-laws (that's another story). We are always looking for a sign coming into town bragging a bit on "small town boy makes good" in the big time. Maybe its time, Burlington. Tyrel Reed is something to brag about, both on the court and in the classroom. Congratulations, Tyrel. Doesn't contain the drama of a suspension, but is way more special.

cragarhawk 3 years, 2 months ago

Awesome job Tyrel!!! These are the kind of stories that we like to read about. You make us proud on and off the court. Someday your name will hang from the raftors at the most Prestigious Basketball venue on the planet, and you have earned it!!!! Pay Heed all current and future Jayhawks, Tyrel Reed epitomizes what it means to truly Bleed Crimson and Blue!!! Well Done Sir!!!

jayhawkinnebr 3 years, 2 months ago

Well, its nice to see one of Ku's seniors step up and be a leader and win an award like this. As for Brady, give him a 6-pack, thats all he deserves, nothing but a dud.

KU_FanSince75 3 years, 2 months ago

Nice company you're keeping, Tyrel----from Bud Stallworth to you----nice!
Congrats, and your family has to be proud for you.

hbjayhawk 3 years, 2 months ago

Could you have selected a better picture for this story? Geeesh, the kid looks like a snapping turtle in a bball jersey. By the way, you make us proud Tyrel!

KSA_21_3503 3 years, 2 months ago

I thought KU was getting rid of these state-school-level majors. Exercise science? ooooh.

Congrats Tyrel, but come on.

Kye Clark 3 years, 2 months ago

What? No Kentucky players on the team? I'm shocked! Shocked!

Congrats Tyrel

REHawk 3 years, 2 months ago

Tyrel, if you possess any desire to get into university-level coaching, you certainly will have an appreciative fanbase cheering you on to success...and hoping that someday you might follow Manning, Turgeon or Boyle back to the throne at KU. Congratulations.

mandomax 3 years, 2 months ago

I imagine they asked Tyrel's permission before posting his GPA? Or is that public record? I would be interested to see the GPAs for the rest of the team, and for that matter the GPAs of some other powerhouses, i.e. UK, UNC, etc.

mojayhawk 3 years, 2 months ago

A true leader, on and off the court. You earned and deserve it! Congrats and God bless!

P.S. You will make a fine Physical Therapist. Welcome to the profession!

KU_Alumn_2000 3 years, 2 months ago

Reed - you are my all time favorite Jayhawk !!! Let's go win a national championship to cap off a great career as a Jayhawk !!!

lincase 3 years, 2 months ago

There are still a few individuals who do honor to the term "student athlete." Congratulations and best wishes.

jaybate 3 years, 2 months ago

First Cole, then Tyrel.

Awesome!

GabrielMichael 3 years, 2 months ago

I am sure it has been said many times but Tyrel you make us proud to be Jayhawks! We are going to miss you next year... wouldn't be surprised to see you return to coach our beloved team someday... Pax Christi

JayHawkFanToo 3 years, 2 months ago

Tyrel embodies the definition of student athlete; a true gentleman in the classroom and on the court. A well deserved honor.

Jayhawk444 3 years, 2 months ago

Tyrel - you make the Jayhawk Nation proud. A tip of the hat for you (and your parents) for being the outstanding young man you are

Janet Scott 3 years, 2 months ago

Wonderfull accomplishment! Impressive, indeed.

actorman 3 years, 2 months ago

What a proud moment for Jayhawk Nation! Great to see him running away with the voting, too. Thanks for reminding us, jayhawkinATL.

PhogAdvisory 3 years, 2 months ago

Congratulations, Tyrel! You're a perfect example of what college athletics should be all about. Keep wowing us, Ty, but on and off the court!

Kurt Eskilson 3 years, 2 months ago

Outstanding, Mr. Reed! Giving any thoughts to the coaching profession? Brains. Experience. Toughness. Desire. And great coaches seem to come from the position you play. KU could use a coach from your generation some day. Just sayin' …

Jared Grillot 3 years, 2 months ago

Congratulations to Tyrel! 3.65 and graduated early, all while playing D-1 basketball? That's pretty tough on all counts. Well done.

And as a side observation, I did not know that Darnell Valentine had both the high level basketball skill set and a 3-time Academic All-American. That takes some real determination and effort, and makes for one pretty outstanding Jayhawk, and this is a pretty big list.

dukehester 3 years, 2 months ago

WAAAAYYYY COOOL , Tyrel........Thanks for the positive male role model!! RCJ GKU

HawkBBall 3 years, 2 months ago

Congratulations, Tyrel. Value that education.

Robert Lofthouse 3 years, 2 months ago

I'll second that motion, slayr. Tyrel is an inspiration and proof of what someone can do with grit and determination in their work ethic.

Dyrk Dugan 3 years, 2 months ago

Awesome news.....great job Tyrel! an absolute wonderful representative you are, for your family, KU and college basketball in general. Congratulations!

William Blake 3 years, 2 months ago

Super congrats to a guy who deserves all the success in the world! His work ethic is outstanding and it is always great to see hard work pay off!

I motion that someone should print this article and go staple it to Doug Gottlieb's tiny head!

Anyone second that motion?

Theutus 3 years, 2 months ago

Reed deserves everything he gets when it comes to these rewards... One of my favorite Jayhawks of all time, up there with Heinrich and Jerod Haase... All heart, they leave it all on the court.

Judgesmails 3 years, 2 months ago

nice job, tyrel

man, valentine was a sharp dude!

Ryan Shelton 3 years, 2 months ago

“My goal when I got here was to be the best student I could be and have something to fall back on when I am done with basketball," Reed said. "It’s just a really cool honor to get and I am very blessed."

No Tyrel, we're the ones who have been blessed by you. Great honor for a great kid!

FairgroveJayhawk 3 years, 2 months ago

Reed's accomplishment is awesome. His emphasis on having a profession after his college and perhaps extended basketball days is great. He's also been accepted into Physical Therapy school at KUMC, which in itself is a daunting task and a great achievement. He's an excellent role model. Congratulations!

kc_wildfire 3 years, 2 months ago

How soon before Cole's jersey is hung in the rafters? Isn't being the Academic All-American part of the original (i.e. non-loosened) criteria used for that?

blackhawkjayhawk 3 years, 2 months ago

First off, congratulations Mr. Reed. Outstanding accomplishment. You are a great representative of our university.

Second, I had forgotten how many like Tyrel KU has had in the past. This is a testatament to former and current coaches recruiting great kids who take advantage of everything the university has to offer them.

Finally, it just goes to show you how unimportant one-and-done players are when it comes to measuring true greatness. Tyrel, Jacque, Cole and Jerod could all play. But they could do so much more.

Congrats again to a Kansas boy made good!

RockCaCO3 3 years, 2 months ago

Rock Chalk Tyrel! You joined some pretty good company.

AsadZ 3 years, 2 months ago

What a great pleasure to read this comment. Tyrel , Many Congratulations to you for this great achievement and making us (Jayhawk nation) so proud. You are a great ambassador of the program. All the Best to you.

JRandall 3 years, 2 months ago

Congrats Tyrel! Your one of my all time favorite Jayhawks, a great example on and off the court and tough as nails. Good luck on your future endeavers.