Originally published February 22, 2011 at 11:20a.m., updated February 23, 2011 at 01:37a.m.

Tyrel Reed named first-team academic All-American

Kansas guard Tyrel Reed (14) drives past Colorado forward Marcus Relphorde during the first half Tuesday, Jan. 25, 2011, in Boulder, Colo.

Tyrel Reed, who is the only Kansas University basketball player to have started all 28 games during the 2010-11 season, has proven as steady in the classroom as on the court.

The 6-foot-3 senior from Burlington on Tuesday was named first-team Academic All-America. It’s an award chosen by the College Sports Information Directors of America and sponsored by Capital One.

“What a great achievement for Tyrel,” KU coach Bill Self said. “To have two guys on the first team back-to-back years is a great accomplishment to the academic support we have here for our guys. This honor is a testimony to how hard Tyrel has worked. I couldn’t be happier or more proud of an individual. To me, this is bigger than making any athletic team,” Self added.

Reed’s former roommate, Cole Aldrich of the NBA’s Oklahoma City Thunder, was a first-teamer last year as well as Academic All-American of the year.

Butler’s Matt Howard won the top honor this year. He and Reed were joined on the first team by Notre Dame’s Tim Abromaitis, Northern Colorado’s Devon Beitzel and North Carolina’s Tyler Zeller.

“This is an amazing award and I’m just so excited about receiving it,” Reed said. “We have a great support staff here with Scooter (Scott Ward, associate AD) being a great academic adviser. I credit my teammates who supported me as well as a great coaching staff.”

A pre-physical therapy and exercise science major with a 3.65 grade-point average, Reed graduated from KU in December.

“My goal when I got here was to be the best student I could be and have something to fall back on when I am done with basketball. It’s just a really cool honor to get and I am very blessed,” Reed said.

Reed became KU’s 15th basketball Academic All-America first-team selection. The others: Bud Stallworth (1971), Tom Kivisto (1974), Cris Barnthouse (1977), Ken Koenigs (1977, 78), Darnell Valentine (1979, 80, 81), David Magley (1982), Jacque Vaughn (1996, 97), Jerod Haase (1997), Ryan Robertson (1999) and Aldrich (2010).

Reed intends to earn an advanced degree in physical therapy at KU Medical School, but isn’t sure when he’ll do that.

“I talked to the PT school and I can defer my acceptance for a couple of years,” Reed said. “I’m excited about that.”

He will look into playing ball professionally.

“I’d love to see what my opportunities are in that direction and just kind of go where the wind blows me,” said Reed, who averages 9.8 points a game, fourth-best mark on the team. He’s made 38.8 percent of his threes and 83.1 percent of his free throws.

“I give a lot of credit to my parents,” Reed said of his father Stacey and mother Debbie. “They raised me and my sister (Lacie) in a household that fostered an environment that was conducive to learning and always wanting us to strive to do our best.”

Comments

JRandall 3 years, 10 months ago

Congrats Tyrel! Your one of my all time favorite Jayhawks, a great example on and off the court and tough as nails. Good luck on your future endeavers.

oreadman 3 years, 10 months ago

endeavors... he's an Academic All-American, so he'll have endeavors, not endeavers like they have in Mizzery. JK - nice comment.

AsadZ 3 years, 10 months ago

What a great pleasure to read this comment. Tyrel , Many Congratulations to you for this great achievement and making us (Jayhawk nation) so proud. You are a great ambassador of the program. All the Best to you.

RockCaCO3 3 years, 10 months ago

Rock Chalk Tyrel! You joined some pretty good company.

blackhawkjayhawk 3 years, 10 months ago

First off, congratulations Mr. Reed. Outstanding accomplishment. You are a great representative of our university.

Second, I had forgotten how many like Tyrel KU has had in the past. This is a testatament to former and current coaches recruiting great kids who take advantage of everything the university has to offer them.

Finally, it just goes to show you how unimportant one-and-done players are when it comes to measuring true greatness. Tyrel, Jacque, Cole and Jerod could all play. But they could do so much more.

Congrats again to a Kansas boy made good!

kc_wildfire 3 years, 10 months ago

How soon before Cole's jersey is hung in the rafters? Isn't being the Academic All-American part of the original (i.e. non-loosened) criteria used for that?

oldalum 3 years, 10 months ago

Yes. There's a five-year delay before numbers are put up.

Lonnie Ross Dillon 3 years, 10 months ago

Nope...Academic Player of the year. Jacque Vaughn and Cole Aldrich are the only two so far that meet that.

Dale Kroening 3 years, 10 months ago

While there are no longer any definite prerequisites for a player to have his or her jersey retired, the University does follow some guidelines, namely: any player named a National Player of the Year by one of either the Associated Press, the Sporting News, the National Association of Basketball Coaches, or by winning the Oscar Robertson Trophy, the John R. Wooden Award, or the Naismith College Player of the Year. Also, being named Big 12 Conference Player of the Year, a consensus All-American, a two-time first team All-American selection, a NCAA Tournament Most Outstanding Player, or an Academic All-American of the Year. It is current policy that no player will have his jersey retired within five years of their last season at Kansas. This rule has not always been the case but Coach Self has indicated that it will remain policy during his tenure as head coach.

FairgroveJayhawk 3 years, 10 months ago

Reed's accomplishment is awesome. His emphasis on having a profession after his college and perhaps extended basketball days is great. He's also been accepted into Physical Therapy school at KUMC, which in itself is a daunting task and a great achievement. He's an excellent role model. Congratulations!

KSseahawk 3 years, 10 months ago

Great reminder...he's ahead of Lighty...keep voting Hawks.

Way to go Tyrel. Not to mention, you've been one of the most consistent players on the team this year.

Rock Chalk.

Ryan Shelton 3 years, 10 months ago

“My goal when I got here was to be the best student I could be and have something to fall back on when I am done with basketball," Reed said. "It’s just a really cool honor to get and I am very blessed."

No Tyrel, we're the ones who have been blessed by you. Great honor for a great kid!

Judgesmails 3 years, 10 months ago

nice job, tyrel

man, valentine was a sharp dude!

Paula Kissinger 3 years, 10 months ago

Darnell Valentine ? WTF ? Someone obviously did his assignments for him.

Lonnie Ross Dillon 3 years, 10 months ago

I lived down the hall from both DV and David Magley. Both names were quite the surprise to me as well...

gdkadjayhawk 3 years, 10 months ago

I knew Dave Magley - just a little. He was a real character, but was a pretty smart kid.

Scott Bonnet 3 years, 10 months ago

Stupid comments Grandma. Darnell always had a high GPA. He took a difficult class load. He is / was a smart guy.

Theutus 3 years, 10 months ago

Reed deserves everything he gets when it comes to these rewards... One of my favorite Jayhawks of all time, up there with Heinrich and Jerod Haase... All heart, they leave it all on the court.

Dale Kroening 3 years, 10 months ago

Even though Id love to see it, and Tyrel is one of my alltime favorite Jayhawks, his jersey will not be hung in the rafters. He would have had to be Academic All American of the year, and the kid from Butler won that award. Heres the criteria from HCBS for jerseys going in the rafters :

Jim Roth 3 years, 10 months ago

From Bedore's article today:

Going to rafters: Tyrel Reed’s name will be stitched on the banner in the north fieldhouse rafters that lists all of KU’s first-team Academic All-Americans.

Alohahawk 3 years, 10 months ago

Lots of familiar names on that list from former years. Reed adds to a great tradition, which just keeps getting better.

PhogAdvisory 3 years, 10 months ago

Okay, I'm out of the loop. What'd pants-on-backwards say?

JayDocMD 3 years, 10 months ago

For the most part I enjoy listening to Gottlieb as he tells it like it is and doesn't sugar coat things, but I have a hard time listening to him preach about character when he himself got booted from Notre Dame for stealing his roommate's credit card and charging $900 on it (a felony.)

westernkshawk 3 years, 10 months ago

Yeah, that being the same Doug Gottlieb who couldn't even get his pants on right to play BB at OSU!! How many remember that "incident" when his teammates had to gather around him in the huddle so he could change his pants and calm down the chants of "Pants on backwards!!" Tiny little head at that!!

ohmixmaster 3 years, 10 months ago

I'm still shocked how many people remember that chant. It was actually, "Shorts on backwards" from the 1999 Senior Night game VS OSU. My brother and I started that chant, and still laugh about it to this day. We've all got one claim to fame, and in Lawrence I guess that's ours.....too funny.

farawayhawk 3 years, 10 months ago

OMG! Is that the same guy?!?! I remember that night like it was yesterday! And no, Ohmixmaster, it was not "Shorts" it was "Pants on backwards". Of that I am 100% sure. It is still ringing in my head.

ohmixmaster 3 years, 9 months ago

Hi Fara!! I promise we (myself followed by my Brother and his friends) chanted "shorts on backwards" then the student section picked up on it. It was my first game in the Fieldhouse, a late birthday present from my Brother while he was attending KU. What a game, senior night (Ryan Robertson was a personal fav of mine), double overtime, the crazy fan with the "good luck seniors" poster who ran out on the court, Eddie Sutton, Gotleib, Desmon Mason, hooking up with a wicked hot girl, and starting that chant. Above and away the best birthday present I've ever received. What a night!! It made the drive back to Columbus much more enjoyable!

oregonjhawk 3 years, 10 months ago

I can't believe that was gottlieb! I totally remember being at that game! Pretty sure it was pants on backwards...ugh that makes me look at him differently..

Dyrk Dugan 3 years, 10 months ago

Awesome news.....great job Tyrel! an absolute wonderful representative you are, for your family, KU and college basketball in general. Congratulations!

Robert Lofthouse 3 years, 10 months ago

I'll second that motion, slayr. Tyrel is an inspiration and proof of what someone can do with grit and determination in their work ethic.

HawkBBall 3 years, 10 months ago

Congratulations, Tyrel. Value that education.

dukehester 3 years, 10 months ago

WAAAAYYYY COOOL , Tyrel........Thanks for the positive male role model!! RCJ GKU

Jared Grillot 3 years, 10 months ago

Congratulations to Tyrel! 3.65 and graduated early, all while playing D-1 basketball? That's pretty tough on all counts. Well done.

And as a side observation, I did not know that Darnell Valentine had both the high level basketball skill set and a 3-time Academic All-American. That takes some real determination and effort, and makes for one pretty outstanding Jayhawk, and this is a pretty big list.

Kurt Eskilson 3 years, 10 months ago

Outstanding, Mr. Reed! Giving any thoughts to the coaching profession? Brains. Experience. Toughness. Desire. And great coaches seem to come from the position you play. KU could use a coach from your generation some day. Just sayin' …

Doug Fogleman 3 years, 10 months ago

I agree. I always thought Tyrel would make a great coach. All the great coaches have similar playing days as Tyrel. He understands the game, knows how to push himself and has a level head on his shoulders.

Congrats Tyrel.

PhogAdvisory 3 years, 10 months ago

Congratulations, Tyrel! You're a perfect example of what college athletics should be all about. Keep wowing us, Ty, but on and off the court!

actorman 3 years, 10 months ago

What a proud moment for Jayhawk Nation! Great to see him running away with the voting, too. Thanks for reminding us, jayhawkinATL.

Jayhawk444 3 years, 10 months ago

Tyrel - you make the Jayhawk Nation proud. A tip of the hat for you (and your parents) for being the outstanding young man you are

JayHawkFanToo 3 years, 10 months ago

Tyrel embodies the definition of student athlete; a true gentleman in the classroom and on the court. A well deserved honor.

GabrielMichael 3 years, 10 months ago

I am sure it has been said many times but Tyrel you make us proud to be Jayhawks! We are going to miss you next year... wouldn't be surprised to see you return to coach our beloved team someday... Pax Christi

lincase 3 years, 10 months ago

There are still a few individuals who do honor to the term "student athlete." Congratulations and best wishes.

KU_Alumn_2000 3 years, 10 months ago

Reed - you are my all time favorite Jayhawk !!! Let's go win a national championship to cap off a great career as a Jayhawk !!!

mojayhawk 3 years, 10 months ago

A true leader, on and off the court. You earned and deserve it! Congrats and God bless!

P.S. You will make a fine Physical Therapist. Welcome to the profession!

mandomax 3 years, 10 months ago

I imagine they asked Tyrel's permission before posting his GPA? Or is that public record? I would be interested to see the GPAs for the rest of the team, and for that matter the GPAs of some other powerhouses, i.e. UK, UNC, etc.

REHawk 3 years, 10 months ago

Tyrel, if you possess any desire to get into university-level coaching, you certainly will have an appreciative fanbase cheering you on to success...and hoping that someday you might follow Manning, Turgeon or Boyle back to the throne at KU. Congratulations.

Kye Clark 3 years, 10 months ago

What? No Kentucky players on the team? I'm shocked! Shocked!

Congrats Tyrel

jaybate 3 years, 10 months ago

UK did however land 3 students on the All-Surrogate SAT Test Taking Team.

ConcernedCynic 3 years, 10 months ago

Exercise Science is a degree that most physical therapy students take prior to getting into PT school. It is not an easy major. A link to the classes required for the major can be found here:

SOME of the classes that they need to take are microbiology, anatomy, physiology, physics I & II, Chem I & II, biomechanics, exercise physiology, and exercise biochemistry.

If you still think this is an easy major, talk to the students that are at KUMC in the PT program and get their opinion.

GeoHawk15 3 years, 10 months ago

How about you juggle playing basketball for a top tier D1 school while gaining national attention by excelling academically. What did YOU major in? Get off your high horse, tool.

KANSTUCKY 3 years, 10 months ago

Child Photography (3.95 GPA) Michael Jackson Institute of Art.

ConcernedCynic 3 years, 10 months ago

Your kidding me right? Microbiology/cell biology is not difficult, biochemistry is not difficult. And yes, you can take some of the classes at a CC, but name a major where that is not the case. If you go to the second page you will see all the upper level classes, most of which cannot be taken at a CC.

You must either be really smart, really dumb or really naive. The fact that you use the name that you do (really classy) indicates that it probably is the middle choice. This will be the last time I respond to your idiotic posts from an individual with an idiotic name.

bad_dog 3 years, 10 months ago

Yet another blast of undeniable logic from the clown prince of advocacy for indecent liberties with a child.

Why did he/she/it choose such an abhorrent user name?

Better yet, why does the LJW an/or KUsports tolerate the use of a user name so inherently insulting to children?

SaulGood 3 years, 10 months ago

Anyone who makes up their mind to pursue a goal that moves them toward a respectable career deserves recognition, KSA, and not just by your standard. "Difficult" is your presumption. Congrats if you're a doctor, KSA - I commend you. I'm also proud of Tyrel for working within his medium and curriculum and making up his mind to achieve. "Difficulty" aside, it takes a level of strength and character, and Tyrel is setting a great example for a lot of future athletes as Cole, Vaughn, Haase, Moody (I had some classes with Christian, for your reference) and many others have done before.

SaulGood 3 years, 10 months ago

Furthermore, KSA, your reply (at face value) seems to indicate we shouldn't praise this kind of achievement. If I applied your logic to my wife's hard work in her nursing curriculum, I'd spend every night sleeping by the firepit in my backyard.

Bill Skeet 3 years, 10 months ago

While you put down people for their degrees, perhaps you'd like to make a cut at this member of the KU Basketball family who earned a degree in Physical Ed.:

Dr. James Naismith

1883: Enters McGill University in Montreal where he earns a BA in Physical Education.

Dale Kroening 3 years, 10 months ago

You have no idea what your talking about. Im willing to bet you couldnt even get a D in some of the classes he had to take to graduate. Do a little research genius, cause you dont have a clue.

Dale Kroening 3 years, 10 months ago

Sorry bskeet, was replying to the KSA idiot.

mojayhawk 3 years, 10 months ago

Hey KSA bla bla. Your comments will be better received in Aggieville. Go home.

SaltLakeHawk 3 years, 10 months ago

KSA, given your UNBELIEVABLY CREEPY name, I'm sure you've "played doctor" with many children. But bare in mind, that doesn't make you a real doctor.

Exercise science is not an easy major. This is an incredible accomplishment by Tyrel. Therefore, STFU and quit trying to drag others down to your miserable level of existence (which is probably based in Columbia, MO).

By the way, I'm 6 years old, and home alone. Would you like to come over and hang out? Maybe drink some of daddy's wine together? I SWEAR that when you get here, I won't actually be 26, waiting with 6 of my friends, and planning to beat the living antler p*ss out of you. Seriously, come over and lets hang out. I SWEAR none of those things will happen. You can trust me....

hbjayhawk 3 years, 10 months ago

Could you have selected a better picture for this story? Geeesh, the kid looks like a snapping turtle in a bball jersey. By the way, you make us proud Tyrel!

KU_FanSince75 3 years, 10 months ago

Nice company you're keeping, Tyrel----from Bud Stallworth to you----nice!
Congrats, and your family has to be proud for you.

Craig Colgin 3 years, 10 months ago

Awesome job Tyrel!!! These are the kind of stories that we like to read about. You make us proud on and off the court. Someday your name will hang from the raftors at the most Prestigious Basketball venue on the planet, and you have earned it!!!! Pay Heed all current and future Jayhawks, Tyrel Reed epitomizes what it means to truly Bleed Crimson and Blue!!! Well Done Sir!!!

Dale Kroening 3 years, 10 months ago

mikehawk 3 years, 10 months ago

My wife and I drive north on U. S. 75 from Tulsa to Topeka, through Burlington, KS, home of Tyrel Reed, on our way to visit my in-laws (that's another story). We are always looking for a sign coming into town bragging a bit on "small town boy makes good" in the big time. Maybe its time, Burlington. Tyrel Reed is something to brag about, both on the court and in the classroom. Congratulations, Tyrel. Doesn't contain the drama of a suspension, but is way more special.

Tony Bandle 3 years, 10 months ago

Aw c'mon....they named a railroad after the town, at least!! :]

jayhawklawrence 3 years, 10 months ago

Whenever I see the Burlington sign (because I travel a lot) I always have to say, "That's where Tyrell Reed is from."

For a guy born and raised in a small Kansas town, he makes me very proud.

I cannot thank Tyrell enough for representing Kansans with class and dignity.

dek9219 3 years, 10 months ago

Great job Tyrell. You will always be one of my favorite Jayhawks. That's a great achievement. You are an inspiration to all young high school kids both players and non players. YOU will be greatly missed next year. Good luck the rest of the season and from then on in your future.

gchawk 3 years, 10 months ago

Congrats Tyrel, just an amazing accomplishment. Very proud of you.

Lance Hobson 3 years, 10 months ago

Congratulations on a great acheivement, it's good to see at least one guy on the team has a future outside of basketball.

That said, what is the deal with Tyrel? We read every year about his boot camp dominance, unbelievable vertical leap, and impressive stats in the weight room, yet he still looks and plays like a one-dimensional slow white guy.

On an aside, I have a theory on getting to the Final 4 that has proven fairly accurate over the years. We need our main three-point threats to shoot at least 40% during the season for us to make it to the Final 4. Reed's 38.8 has Sweet 16 or second round upset written all over it. Maybe he can get hot in the next couple of weeks and improve the average before the tourney.

Dyrk Dugan 3 years, 10 months ago

he's at 44.4% in league games....how does that translate for a FF appearance?

Lance Hobson 3 years, 10 months ago

This is all very encouraging. I know it doesn't really make sense, I'm just stating the facts. All of our past Final 4 teams have in common that their key outside threats shoot better than 40% from 3 pt land. No team that shot that well has not made it to the Final 4.

ralphralph 3 years, 10 months ago

Ty is a good kid who has taken some athletic talent and added a tremendous amount of hard work to become a solid Division I college basketball player. Really, he could have cruised and partied and hung out and been a top Div II player, with no pressure or hassle, but instead chose to get up every morning before the sun and work his butt off to see how far he could go. That's a hard choice to make, and takes a tremendous self-discipline to maintain. Obviously, he carried that same approach into the classroom, where he is a bright kid who became a top student by working harder than he was expected to.

On top of that --- have you met this kid? --- he is genuine humble, and just plain nice; and, he is really appreciative of where he is and what he is getting to do. Contrast that to more than a few college athletes who think they are owed everything and obligated for nothing, and it makes him stand out. All that talent, good sense, hard work and self-discipline --- without the ego and attitude of entitlement --- that's a damn fine thing to see.

Tony Bandle 3 years, 10 months ago

The LJW needed to put up that picture of Reed massaging that hot Lady Jayhawk Bball player.......that would have truly shown how much smarter he is than the rest of us.

[PS That photo set off one of the all-time great posting strings!!!]

Martin Rosenblum 3 years, 10 months ago

I remember that Tyrel looked a little uncomfortable in that photo. It was definetly a snowball that became an avalance of comments!

SaulGood 3 years, 10 months ago

Congrats Tyrel! And they say we have "character problems" here on ESPN!

lee3022 3 years, 10 months ago

"To me, this is bigger than making any athletic team,” Self added"

Exactly. I do hope there is a separate section in the Allen Field House Hall for Academic All-Americans. These are our finest.

Benjamin Piehler 3 years, 10 months ago

great player, great attitude. one of the nicest guys you'll meet, congrats.

BMonstaC 3 years, 10 months ago

Congratulations Tyrel. Couldn't be happier for you and your family. Hard work and attention to detail pays off. Your family and the entire Jayhawk nation should be very proud of you in this great achievement. Speaks volumes about KU and the Kid. BTW---there is a place in Allen Fieldhouse where the Academic All-Americans are honored. It's back in one of the hallways but I have a picture of Cole there when they put his name up. Make room for the name of one more great Jayhawk!

kubiggestfan 3 years, 10 months ago

Congratulations, this is what I like to see in Athletes.....Job Well Done.

trader 3 years, 10 months ago

I was in Burlington, Kansas years ago taking a motorcycle riding class at the high school. We went inside to do our classroom work and walked past the gym. There was this young scrawny kid in there shooting 3 point shots. Our instructor said "that kid" is going to be playing basketball at Kansas after he graduates from high school next year. I asked how he got access to the gym during the summer months. I was told his dad was the high school coach. And, he added that "the kid" practices for hours on end every day. So, that is the rest of the story...hard work did pay off.

Lance Hobson 3 years, 10 months ago

Reminds me a story about Rex Walters from years ago. People in his home town in California would see him park his car facing an outdoor bball court with the lights on so he could see and he would shoot all night.

kerbyd 3 years, 10 months ago

Might I also add that I am sooooo thankful we DO NOT have coaches like, Calhoun, Pearl, Pitino, Calipari, etc., etc. But instead have an incredibly class act in Bill Self.