Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Bill Self: Tyshawn Taylor criticisms unfair

Kansas guard Tyshawn Taylor signals to the bench after hitting a three-pointer against South Florida during the second half on Saturday, Dec. 3, 2011 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Kansas coach Bill Self believes guard Tyshawn Taylor is taking more criticism this season than is warranted.

“I can do that probably more so than anybody, because he’s the point guard and he’s the quarterback and he’s more responsible than anything,” Self said during his Hawk Talk radio show on Monday. “But the bottom line is, instead of seeing sometimes what he doesn’t do, I think we should look at what he does do. Because if you look at us, we don’t beat Long Beach State if he doesn’t play. And we certainly don’t beat Ohio State if he doesn’t play.”

Playing with a torn meniscus in his right knee, Taylor scored 12 points with four assists and five turnovers in 34 minutes against LBSU on Dec. 6.

Against Ohio State, Taylor contributed nine points to go with a career-high 13 assists in 35 minutes. He also had seven turnovers.

“He can do so many things to get in the paint to force help to get us easy baskets that when he doesn’t make some plays, we look at the negatives as opposed to all the positive things that he does,” Self said. “He’s got to tighten his game up. We’ve talked about it. We’re going to watch a lot more tape. He’s got a chance to watch a lot of tape right now and (we can) try to help him with that.

“But gosh, does he have a lot of talent. I mean, that is one talented kid that’s a phenomenal athlete.”

Self has his own theories about why Taylor is criticized more than others. For one, the guard has been at Kansas a long time. He’s also had some off-the-court incidents in the past.

Taylor had surgery to repair the torn meniscus Sunday. The senior could miss up to three weeks depending on his recovery time, though Self said it’s possible Taylor could be back as soon as KU’s game Monday against Davidson.

“Nobody anywhere can question how much it means to him to be out there and how much he wants to play and wants to win,” Self said, “because there’s a lot of people that would say, ‘No, no, no, go ahead and do this (surgery),’ and, ‘I don’t want to risk anything.’ Not that he was risking anything from a medical deal, but he put it in his rear-view mirror and never looked at it again.”

Self said Taylor didn’t use his injury as an excuse.

“That’s what toughness is — if you know something’s going on, and you’re able to put it in your rear-view mirror and not even think about it,” Self said. “He did that, and of course, because of that, we had a pretty good week.”

Taylor’s effort Saturday came against one of the top point guards in the country.

Ohio State sophomore Aaron Craft posted 11 points, six assists, five rebounds and two steals to go with three turnovers in his team’s 78-67 loss to Kansas.

“Here’s what I think, and I could be wrong,” Self said. “I think that Craft is the best defensive guard that we’ll see all year. I think he’s the best true point guard we’ll see all year. I think he’s as tough as any guard we’ll see all year. I think he’s as smart as any guard that we’ll see all year. And I think Tyshawn Taylor is just as good.

“So that’s how I feel about Craft, that he’s terrific, but I think Tyshawn is too. He’s just got to make some better decisions.”

Robinson wins award

Kansas forward Thomas Robinson was selected as the Oscar Robertson national player of the week by the U.S. Basketball Writers Association.

As the Big 12 conference player of the week, Robinson was nominated for the weekly award, which is chosen by a representative of the USBWA board of directors. The 6-foot-10 Robinson is the first recipient of the award this season.

Robinson, a junior from Washington, D.C., averaged 23.5 points and nine rebounds in victories last week over Long Beach State and Ohio State.

Holiday Clinic

The 2011 KU men’s basketball Holiday Clinic will be from 1-3:30 p.m. on Tuesday, Dec. 27, at Allen Fieldhouse for boys and girls in second through sixth grades.

The annual clinic is $85 and will include instruction, a camp T-shirt, a Junior Jayhawk Basketball, a 2011-12 KU basketball team picture and one GA ticket to KU’s Dec. 29 home game against Howard. There also will be an autograph session afterward.

For more information or to register for the camp, go to billselfbasketballcamp.com.

Comments

Michael Luby 2 years, 4 months ago

Tyshawn's career assist totals arent even on the radar for the top all time list. http://www.rockchalk.com/jayhawks/

Janet Olin 2 years, 4 months ago

Wouldn't be fair if he were a Freshman; very fair making the same mistakes as a Senior.

boknowssports 2 years, 4 months ago

a couple of comments in favor of Tyshawn. After a great freshman year, I think the Xavier Henry experiment the next year really through Tyshawn off.

second, as a 1,000 point KU player, I think he has been a great contributor to KU basketball.

third, I don't know where to find the stats, but I have to think he is near the top in all-time assists for a KU player. Don't you know the Morris twins owe millions to Tyshawn's assists.

fourth, I like EJ a lot, but I do not think he has the ability to take it to the hoop and dish off to a big as well as Tyshawn.

jaybate 2 years, 4 months ago

~The story made me wonder if basketball, itself, has crossed a threshold into the interactive era. By this I mean, does this story constitute Bill Self going indirectly interactive through a KUSports.com writer to enliven discussion and make himself, his players and KU basketball more of an online social network? Or is it an effort to manage public opinion? By this I means, is this story essentially yet an act of public relations conducted jointly with a journalistic outlet?

~The story made me wonder exactly what harm was resulting from the criticism that Self and the journalist seem to be trying to diminish? Was it aimed to reduce the hurt feelings of a player? Gee, I recently watched a video of Self in practice put out for public viewing (on ESPN, or something) and and have watched him for years in games and I can't think of a single comment on this web sit that would approach the intensity of his criticism. I would think after listening to Bill Self expand on one's problems in practice, the things written on this web site would be very minor irritants indeed.

~The story made me wonder if perhaps recruits and their parents might be finding the criticism of players on web sites too harsh, and so sending their children elsewhere? I find this improbable, but never the less the probably unintended consequence of this story was to make me wonder if KUSports.com was thought to be a cause of Self losing out in some recruiting battles? Again,its seems farfetched to me. I would vote for corruption at other programs, or a fear of playing for such a demanding coach, or a lack of minutes available for starting immediately, or, well, you get my point here. It seems improbable that Self thinks an internet website keeps players away, but you never know in this crazy new interactive era.

~Finally, the story made me wonder if this story were a clever coaching ploy to cheer up the spirits of a player who has broken his butt for Self for 4 years and who is now in a very scary situation of having a knee injury his senior year threatening his chances for a good senior season and being drafted. Maybe Coach Self is just using the media to buck up Tyshawns spirits after surgery. Maybe he is doing it, because he knew Tyshawn was going to have a lot of time to surf the net the next week or two.

All these things this anomalous story made me wonder. And I wondered much more about these things than I did about how good of a player Tyshawn was (I already knew he was a very fine player) and about how unjustified the fan criticism of Tyshawn often is (I already knew it was often unjustified).

Whatever, the coach and the writer accomplished one thing for certain: they reminded me of the law of unintended consequences.

So call this post an example of the law of unintended responses.

jaybate 2 years, 4 months ago

"The Law of Unintended Responses"

Some times what is most interesting about a story is its intended theme and subject matter; in this case, that would be Coach Self thinks Tyshawn is a very good player and fans should not be so critical of Tyshawn.

The coach speaking through the writer has effectively triggered an outpouring of praise for Tyshawn's considerable virtues, which seems the probable purpose for the story. The praise seems to outweigh the on-going criticism of Tyshawn's above average tendency to throw the ball away, and occasionally drive into trouble. I like this, because it appeals to my bias about Tyshawn being an exceptional player, but I imagine it grates on those that find him lacking.

Frankly, none of the above interests me much, because I already thought Tyshawn was a good player without being told so, but I thought it necessary to relate before remarking on what the story perhaps unintentionally did cause me to think about.

~This story made me wonder how and from where the criticism of Tyshawn Self finds excessive is being received. By this I mean, are fans at the games being too critical, or is it fans on campus and in stores, or is it fans on internet sites that coaches and players are reading?

~Regardless, of source, the story made me wonder, if Bill Self and his players appear to be paying rather more attention to what is being communicated about them than maybe useful. By this I mean skilled persons performing at a high level really ought not to worry to much about what fans think, unless what they are thinking and communicating is leading to reduced attendance, or reduced viewership. All public performers do have to gauge audience response, even as they ignore the specifics of it about how they ought to perform their particular skill. For example, BGL and Zenger were apparently gauging the negative fan reaction to Turner Gill in part by the ocean of empty seats, and hoping to keep it from blowing back on them, when they squeezed alums to get Turner a $6M ticket to ride. In Self's and Tyshawn's case, however, I don't see any empty seats, or other signs of declining revenue, so I frankly don't see why two such stellar performers as Self and Tyshawn should give a hoot about public criticism.

Michael Luby 2 years, 4 months ago

Alright, lots of comments on here. Noone will probly read this BUT my 2 cents... TT is trying to be Sherron and he just cant. No way around it. He cant do it. For all of his athleticism and skill or whatever, he cannot run the point like Sherron. That said, I think there have been atleast 3 point guards in the history of KU Basketball that have been better than Sherron.
Jo Jo White Jacque Vaughn Russell Robinson

Im also adding Chalmers to this list even though he was mostly a shooting guard for us. He was still better in his junior year than Sherron was.

dannyxo 2 years, 4 months ago

TT is one of the greatest talents Self has ever had. But in my opinion, he has one simple problem that explains our frustrations with him. He doesn't get it and has a lack of discipline to ever turn that around. Pretty simple, he doesn't truly grasp what it means to be a Jayhawk as evidenced by his actions that have got him suspended several times. Then he plays on a bad knee and shows a ton of heart. Comparably, during the games, he doesn't value possessions making simple turnovers followed by great plays that only he can make. The extreme highs and lows are frustrating for us as fans, because it seems so simple; keep the good and eliminate the bad, but it just must not be for some who operate at that high of a level.

Think of how Cowboys fans feel about Tony Romo, or Charles Barclay, or Lawrence Phillips, or Ryan Leaf, or Allan Iverson. There are some people who are so naturally talented that they have spent their whole life using that talent to carry themselves and feel it can get them out of any jam. Some are total busts as a pro and some simply never quite put it together enough to reach the summit.

I think a positive example would be Bill Walton, who was lucky enough to have the greatest (non-KU) coach of all time beat that sense of discipline into his head and surround him with a team that complimented him. That success carried over to the NBA. Still today when you hear Walton speak, you hear that mix of talented free sprit mixed with Wooden quotes that he probably heard daily as a college student. Lets hope that Coach Self is more of a teacher like Wooden and less of a "whatever it takes to win" guy like Tom Osborne or John Thompson and graduates a talented young man who mixes quotes about discipline and hard work with his song lyric tweets in the NBA. Self still has half of one more year to flip that switch in TT's head. A deep run in the tourney this year with TT as our leader would probably help.

Ralster Jayhawk 2 years, 4 months ago

Nice commentary by most here. Deep down, dont we want every player in a ku jersey to succeed? Because that carries a higher chance that the team succeeds bigger. Boneheaded plays or not...there is always that next play or half or game where "if we do a better job of __, we win"... (or win bigger). Why the hatefulness at one of the humans with k.a.n.s.a.s. across his chest?

The execution of Selfball's many facets is only indirectly in the hands of Bill Self. It is directly in the hands of the players. What happens when KU players do not execute as they are expected to do? (see tourney exits, the Maui one being the most recent teaching example).

Not much else for any of us to say, that isnt restating the obvious...

KansasComet 2 years, 4 months ago

Every year in the Self Era, there has been at least one player on the team that drives fans crazy. That's just the way it is. This year, it seems to be Tyshawn Taylor. I wonder who will be the one next year.

phogphan2000 2 years, 4 months ago

Self may have been referring to RMK's game commentary, or the fans. Either way, TT doesn't always do the right thing, I don't believe the coaching staff always goes into a game prepared exactly the right way, and I sure don't think it does Kansas Basketball any good to have fans ripping on players when we all know the coaching staff will take care of that for us in practice and film sessions. Depth isn't really our problem, we just need the rest of the team to get more comfortable making plays, which will draw pressure off TT and TRob. Think back to RussRob, how much pressure was there on him to make things happen? He did his job well, but the whole team looked to score and make plays in 2008 which takes pressure off the PG.

It has to be a positive to have Self standing behind his players like this, and a good sign that he has a lot of faith in their abilities. I'm so anxious for the games with Baylor and Missouri this year, it's gonna be a real battle to pull off another BigXII title.

REHawk 2 years, 4 months ago

It has been suggested that Bill Self possesses an almost worshipful appreciation for Tyshawn Taylor's natural talents and potential. I dare to suggest that, as a former Div. I guard, himself, Coach cherishes in TT the supertalent which he might have always dreamed for himself. Tyshawn's screwups on and off the court must be a hairpulling regular occurrence for his more grounded mentor these past 3 years. When Tyshawn is focused and playing to the positive limits of his potential, there are very few Division I players who can match his brilliance and exciting moves. Then the mundane basic no-nos leap up to bring the kid, his coach and fans back to earth. Until this squad has played its final second of basketball in this very unusual Jayhawk season, I think that all of us must pick up on the first portion of Mr. Alexander Pope's famous quote: Hope springs eternal... Then forget that Mr. Pope couched that hopeful beginning with a most satirical ending. Tyshawn and all his teammates bear the potential for bringing weekly hope to all of us, bigtime, as this seasson progresses. I truly believe that this squad is capable of defeating any team in the nation...if the whimsical gods of sport choose to shine their wand over Jayhawk performaces the next few months, especially in the Madness of March. We all know that some unlikely bench player is capable of entering the last minutes of a closing close contest to nail a pair of 3s which play hell with any team's season of hope. As point guard, Tyshawn spends more time than anyone with the ball. He is the focal point of this year's squad. I sense that he and his coach will lead us to some spectacular victories. I wish for both of them the very best.

Jayhawks Rock 2 years, 4 months ago

I have been thinking about the purpose of this board. I have come up with only three real ideas. They are: 1. Fans talking to fans. 2. People venting 3. Trolls. If you are the first, as am I, I wonder what our job is here. We know that players come here sometimes to read what we write. Maybe they had a good game or maybe a bad game, or whatever. Can you imagine going to your fan base and hearing people cut you down? Maybe our job is to add a little constructive criticism, but also to be the "hell yeah, you guys rock" crew as well. Shouldn't we lift the spirits of the jayhawk players, which in turn just might help us to win 1 more game each year? These kids play their hearts out for us every year and maybe we owe them something for the pleasure we derive from what they do. Maybe we should be a little less harsh if we are fans. I believe we are the great majority of posters here. Let's show a little team spirit.

lee3022 2 years, 4 months ago

I don't think many of us have not been frustrated with Taylor's turnovers. Yet I rarely express negativity toward any KU player. They are fellow alums. They try hard to a man. They achieve an amazing record each year. They entertain us and engage us to follow the team.

So I get coach's plea to back off of Tyshawn. He is our leader and how he goes determines how the season goes. Besides, not many of us know all the factors (such as the meniscus tear) that contributes to the result. Coach - you keep on recruiting and coaching and telling us what we need to know. For me - I will keep on encouraging other fans to trust in what you are doing (I have no illusions that any player reads these comments.)

Ralster Jayhawk 2 years, 4 months ago

I will admit on occasion I succumbed to "blueblood fan expectation stress", and bashed a player...2 yrs ago I tried it vs. Brady and his well-documented shooting slump. Last year I evacuated bowels over Reed's terrible performance vs. VCU. Tyshawn did his part in kicking it out over and over to Reed (like every other teammate did), but he kept missing and missing...a very bitter pill.

But I felt very sad (& still do) for the comments I made against Reed. That young man has to carry that game memory with him forever, and he doesnt need some nameless, faceless fan like me to add to that sufferring. Yes I play this game still, but on a day I go 1 for 9 from 3, I get to come back 2 days later and play again--Reed and Sherron simply never get to be in MarchMadness again. My point is we need to be sensitive to that. So making personal insults against a KU player in the twilight of his college career will always go against my grain. First, most of you nancies couldnt do any better...and secondly, no critique being offerred here is groundbreaking--> Players already know it (they've been playing at a high level since before highschool usually), and Im sure they hear it from the coaches about their mistakes. Self usually seen patrolling the sidelines giving "real-time feedback" with the red face and the hand up blocking the lip-readers.

I would really like to see the venting&critiques to be done without the bludgeoning personal insults to players. Yes, I may hammer some Kentucky/Mizzoo/Purplepussy trolls with the finest locker-room banter I can think of, but n-e-v-e-r a player who agreed to come to KS to play for us. They are kids and will make on-court/off-court mistakes. Growth process to be managed by Bill Self & our aaa-rated program. Isnt part of the "fun" to see greatness crafted from rawness? And dont smart blueblood fans know that the level of success achieved/plateaued will vary from player to player?

tical523 2 years, 4 months ago

Voicing opinion is what these posts are for, people need to quit assuming that posts are being malicious or mean spirited (dumb is another thing). We are very passionate fans who care more than most fans regarding players stats, attitudes and overall team results. I do not think that it bothers the players personally more than getting benched, letting a teammate down, or being yelled at by a coach....... you have to have thick skin under the intense microscope of being KU Basketball star (Ben Mac now knows). Do you really think big time studs, like our basketball players, really lose sleep or even fret over these posts, and don't give me that T Rob tweet. C'mon Son!!!!

Tony Bandle 2 years, 4 months ago

I just found a photo of Eddie Murphy matching the photo of Tyshawn above with the quote " Oo Tay Buwheet...God forgive me, but I had to laugh!!

master16 2 years, 4 months ago

TT is critical to this team. All his issues are in his head. Mentally, he has to get tougher. Physically, he's extremely athletic and fast. He has to learn not to make the same mistakes over and over again, which are mental issues. Keep his composure, limit his stupid turnovers, and we're alright. Otherwise, it might get ugly during conference play.

Ralster Jayhawk 2 years, 4 months ago

I almost think Self/some assistant reads these comments. It started after the fanbase blasted David Padgett, and it was acknowledged he partly left due to fan "flak". Him wanting to be an inside/out big with a face-up midrange shot was no different than DJax, Shady, Cole, Marcus, Markieff, and now TRob-->so it made ZERO sense the reason Padgett gave for leaving.

Tyshawn himself has commented this season about his turnovers and the critique from "ku fans".

Why cant people understand that all ku guards (Self recruits) are not all the same? RussRob was a Tyshawn clone his first season. Got to the rim all the time, but turnover prone. Went in the doghouse and almost transfered. But Self molded him into what he needed. Self needs Tyshawn to be a scorer, creator, distributor--can vary with each possession. Tyshawn is the most versatile lead guard Self has probably ever had. Can drive, defend, dunk, distribute. Now he is shooting 57% treys for the season!

My counterpoint to the poster saying Knight knows "more" about basketball than Self is that Self knows the dynamics+net positives/net negatives of his own players way, way, way better than Knight or any other coach out there, active or retired. Period. Think about that for a minute. Knight would have "benched" Sherron during a bad stretch of plays, but Self did not.

Self's recruits and teams are not Knight's recruits & teams. With all due respect to Coach Knight's opinion, I will value Self's over Knight's, regarding a Bill Self KU team. This is his construct and expectations, thus his results and accolades as well. We will ride this season exactly as far as Self+the team take us.

Why cant people realize Tyshawn plays with the swagger he shows. This is how he sees the game. His speed is different than other teammate's speed, thus turnovers will happen. Just like adding Sherron to the 07 team did. Different speeds, what-a-changeup!

I always try to be supportive of KU players because I want them to feel supported. If they screw up on national TV, yes it is built-in that they need to face the music. But I will always, always, always feel that it is unfair "piling on" when supposed fans tear a player down with personal attacks...just because that player let you&me (some no name fans) down by "not playing right". My view is: they either assimilate Self's ways & teachings or they dont. That is a variable deal. See Sherron vs. RussRob, etc...Not all these kids have the same personalities either. One might expect Self guards to play at a high level, but how can you really believe that they will all pass your approval? They simply need to pass Self's criteria, and depending on the year, those can change too.

bamahawk1 2 years, 4 months ago

Taylor will undoubtedly go down as the WORST point guard in recent KU history. Why? Because he is not a point guard!!! He has no clue how to pass the basketball. He has no clue how to empower other players. He has no clue how to lead a team. He has no clue how to play team basketball. The kid averages 6+ turnovers a game as a 3 year starter. That would be a red flag at Pitt State! The fact that the KU coaches have not found a better point guard to lead our team over the past few years is down right PATHETIC!

Jayhawks Rock 2 years, 4 months ago

Hey, does anyone know what happened to that SSA1beenlouden guy? I haven't seen him around for a while...It's just as well since he never has anything to say.

Tuskin 2 years, 4 months ago

As I read Self's words, I think he believes that Tyshawn will do better if he has the fans' complete support. Let Self coach him. Let Self ride him when necessary. Let fans support him.

Some fans think criticism is warranted. No, not really. Even if it's accurate, that doesn't mean it's justified. And if it's inaccurate, it certainly isn't.

Bottom line: would you rather gripe, or would you rather support your team and your coach?

USA1BinLaden0 2 years, 4 months ago

USA1BinLaden0 2 years, 4 months ago

My name is USA1BinLaden0, and since ive joined kusports has removed all my posts but one or two. I hated turner Gill before it was cool, and now the whole board is agreeing with me when they would never agree to my face, and thats apology enough. that's what chicken shi tsdo. The truth is hard to take sometime in the begining, so ill take being the whipping boy if eventually people come around. that's being a man.

guithawk 2 years, 4 months ago

I really love watching Tyshawn play basketball. He plays with enthusiasm and energy. I would say that part of the problem with the fans getting on him this year was caused by him being suspended for the first two exhibition games. We saw many of the players play timidly in the first exhibition and then much better in the second one. Tyshawn didn't have the luxury of working out some of the kinks in games that don't count like the other players did. I also think that it put him more under the microscope than he would have been otherwise. I hope that the fans that are being so critical will realize how good his game can be and encourage him to be all we know he can be and stop tearing him down. Tyshawn if you are reading any of this I want you to know you have a huge fan in me. RCJH

hihawk 2 years, 4 months ago

Tyshawn is doing ok, yea, he does have a turnover problem at times, but he is trying to carry the load. Just be happy KU doesn't have nincompoop Morningstar out there not making shots, throwing the ball away, dribbling ball out of bounces. Only a 5th year moron like Brady can do a thing like that. Ku sure doesn't need a maggot like that out there. Taylor has his good games also. Yea, he is not a consistent player but, he is far greater then what KU had last year.

Gil Ek 2 years, 4 months ago

Give TT a break. Trying to adjust to a new group of players, early in the year with a TOUGH schedule, knee issue, we are O.K. It is time to just give him 100% support and every time he scores or makes a great assist or defensive play, raise the D.B. level to 115+ like it was at tipoff against B1G OSU. His upside potential is huge, he is close to getting there. Think by conference time he will settle in, and as he gets more support on the floor will calm down and excell. I think he wants success for the team more than anyone. Lets get behind him NOW! He will determine how far we go in March and that could be pretty deep.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 4 months ago

Kansas Poster categories: which one ae you????

1] The Diehard [God sleeps in Jayhawk pajamas] 2] The Elitist [looks up words to use even if they don't know the meaning] 3] Mr/Ms Rational [ .....look at life from both sides, now, from win and lose and still somehow...etc.] 4] The Hater [I spit at thee for hates sake!!] 5] The Old Guy [back in my day, we sat on hot coals in Allen...and we loved it!!!!] 6] The Know It All [ The more I type, the smarter I look..not you, Jaybate, you do know most of it!!] 7] The Troll [Misery and Kensucky trolls are the most entertaining..KittyKat trolls are so lame] 8] The Comedian [Always going for the big laugh...well, it's better than being a hater] 9] The Guy Living in his Mom's Basement [ 45 years old with acne and still a virgin] 10] The Bushwacker [ lives to attack other posters] 11] The Sophisticated Sports Guru [ I dare someone to claim this one since, by the very nature of posting, you forfeit that title.] 12] The guy with the killer avatar [that would be Ralster] 13] The Long Distance Lover [Hawaii, Paris, Mars] 14] The Short but Sweet [make their point with less syllables than a haiku]

WeLoveOurSelf 2 years, 4 months ago

just everyone get off of his back

machinegun 2 years, 4 months ago

Coach Self is responding to the unprecedented levels of rancor and vitriol being directed at Tyshawn Taylor by so-called KU basketball fans!

Kye Clark 2 years, 4 months ago

I have a bit of a problem with Self's "we don’t beat Long Beach State if he doesn’t play. And we certainly don’t beat Ohio State if he doesn’t play.” comments. Remember when several posters here criticized Thad Matta for telling Self "merry Christmas"? Some commented that basically it was a back-handed insult at his own team, that he had no confidence in them whatsoever to win the game without Sullinger. So, isn't this the same thing? Self basically saying that without Tyshawn no one else could have possibly stepped up in those games? Tyshawn had a decent week - 21 pts on a combined 35% shooting, 17 assists, 12 turnovers. Is that really that irreplaceable? In the LBS game when did we look our best? At the beginning of the game with Taylor on the bench and EJ running the point. What might the rest of the game looked like with EJ at the point? Or the Ohio State game? We'll never know, but from my perspective I think we win both of those games without Tyshawn.

Anyway, this is not meant as me trashing Tyshawn. And I applaud Coach Self for having his players' backs. Just seemed a poor way to do it in my opinion.

cajayfan 2 years, 4 months ago

Boy, Self is trying like heck to make sure Tyshawn has a shot at the NBA. I can't forget he had a record breaking 11 turnovers in a game he was not injured. NBA scouts won't forget either. Just glad he can score. When I think what Hinrich could have done with TRob....

sleepy33 2 years, 4 months ago

“He’s got to tighten his game up. We’ve talked about it. We’re going to watch a lot more tape. He’s got a chance to watch a lot of tape right now and (we can) try to help him with that."

This right here is a most interesting statement. We can TRY to help him with that? Does this mean that watching tape, and actual, you know, study on the fundamentals of basketball is not a mandatory and regular part of being on the team? Watching TT play over the years, I've frequently thought that his mistakes involved some of the more basic components of the game (he's talented enough to do the really hard stuff, but the easy stuff trips him up). I've wondered if he was just asleep the day they taught the basics of basketball, but it's sounding to me like they really don't have any kind of formal structure in place for any kind of intellectual analysis of the game. If TT and the rest of the team spent half as much time analyzing their game as we do on these message boards, there would be no stopping them.

bennybob 2 years, 4 months ago

I would wager that if Self had a viable option at PG other than Taylor this year we wouldn't be reading this article.

Over the last 2 seasons we've seen Self not hesitate to pull TT from the lineup and reduce his minutes when he puts together strings of performances like he has recently. In those cases we were fed articles essentially stating "it wasn't because TT was playing bad it was because EJ/Little/Brady/etc were playing so well in practice"

With his back against the wall the only option Self has is to play defense and try to shift the focus away from the apparent problem.

tom123kufan 2 years, 4 months ago

Point guard Aaron Craft said the Buckeyes learned a lot from their first defeat.

"Watching the tape, we played hard and we played with some good toughness, it being our first road game," he said. "But we made mistakes that we don't normally make. If Jared would have played and we made the same mistakes, they still would have won the game because we didn't play Ohio State basketball."

Rock Chalk Baby!

FLJHK 2 years, 4 months ago

Mainly we're just pretty spoiled. I'll take TT on a bad day over 80% of college PGs in the country; on a good day he's at 95%. I'm hopeful that a few times he will be at his very best and no one would be better. I hope even more that those rare occasions occur at the best possible times. He was a stud at the end of last season and in the tourney.

His playing hurt the past two games impressed me a lot. Get well TT. You are as big a key to this season as anyone on the team.

jagfar 2 years, 4 months ago

Kid's physical talents out pace his ability to read the situation. So he often finds himself in spots he can't get out of. He is also one of the most careless point guards with regard to protecting the ball. His positives may outweigh the negatives, but we have already lost one game (Duke) we could have won without the excessive turnovers. I think this will manifest again, but then, its all about the journey, right?

iamakufan 2 years, 4 months ago

A side note about the OSU game - we had 18 turnovers. They had 15. Yet the announcers kept harping on our turnovers.

Mike Kendall 2 years, 4 months ago

102-16----Tyshawn's record as a player at KU----that's impressive, which is why I don't hate TT but in the final wash, it's Self's judgement that counts (thanks Alohajayhawk). Tyshawn makes some bonehead plays, let's admit it. However, he is an incredible athlete and does good things to make us win in the end. I think it will be an important thing to develop N-Tharpe throughout the season because TT can't do it all at point guard. A lot of Jayhawk Nation posters and HCBS has already made that point.

So TT---get well soon! We need you!

chriz 2 years, 4 months ago

Maybe it's been said here before, but I don't think anyone's questioning whether Taylor should be on the court as much as he is. A lot of us are questioning whether he should be point guard. I would have no problems letting him play the Chalmers role and for Elijah playing the point. And I don't think Tyshawn would have any problems with that, either.

I'd like Tyshawn on the floor for 35 minutes a game. And I'd also like to have a point guard on the floor for that long who doesn't seem to have a problem dribbling the ball off his knees and feet.

AsadZ 2 years, 4 months ago

Lets not forget that while TT is a 4 year starter his role and what coach has been asking him to do each year has been very different. Being QB/run the offense is a new role for TT this year. He is adjusting. He is trying hard. He is getting better. And my admire for him increased significantly after learning that he played both games last week with a painful injury, showing great heart and never compalined about it. Go Tyshawn.

wildcatkiller 2 years, 4 months ago

Bill Self has always had a crush on tyshawn and I have never been able to understand it the past 4 years. The guy turns the ball over to much to be considered a good point guard and doesn't have the ability to shoot from the outside well enough to be considered a good 2 guard. I know record wise he has been great at ku but I definitly wont start crying when he graduates.

Randy Maxwell 2 years, 4 months ago

Now I see how Self justifies those two first round losses and the fact he' s only been to one final 4. Let's never look at the negatives (uh facts) let's just look at the positives. OK lets see how that works in the real world

REHawk 2 years, 4 months ago

In a less serious vein, I will say this about TT. Rarely does a Jayhawk hoopster affect my heartbeat so relentlessly within the 40 minutes of a sports contest. Heck, if I am engaged in viewing golf or baseball, I demand a coupla snorts of Old Crow just to stay awake. When Taylor comes dribbling up the court my heartbeat quivers and bloodpressure bristles to the point of Red Alert!

REHawk 2 years, 4 months ago

I'm an old sofa rat who couldn't dribble a basketball the length of the centercourt Jayhawk at Allen Fieldhouse. Admittedly, sometimes I have been way too harsh in scolding Tyshawn for what I have observed as careless play...although I usually couch the criticism within a framework of marveling at his concurrent terrific production. After watching and reading about his playing through injury in the Long Beach State and Ohio State games, I pledged to myself to back off on future criticisms here at LJW. The kid is a tremendously talented athlete whose heart is invested in pursuit of Jayhawk wins. I hope that he will always look back fondly at Jayhawk basketball, in all its varied tentacles, as a major influence in a life filled with smiles and continual promise. He is a very rare talent who has undergone lotsa tweaking in these 3 1/2 years in Lawrence. I certainly do not envision this squad winning another league title or advancing beyond the Sweet 16 without his very valuable input. Just as does the coaching staff, I will probably grind my molars frequently as this team continues to grow and develop. But I will strive in earnest, henceforth, to switch focus to the more positive aspects of all efforts and performances of all members of this squad. Rarely have we witnessed so many fresh faces in an annual starting lineup. This team is a weekly work in progress. The two wins last week were huge. And Tyshawn Taylor helped us to those victories, playing on a gimpy knee, leading a squad which was battling the flu and its lingering effects. Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

martyks 2 years, 4 months ago

I'm going to trust Bobby Knight's judgement on this. His statement was something like: "I'm surprised to see Taylor making so many mistakes at this point in his career." If Coach Self believes the criticism is not justified, I'm totally willing to look at that and doubt my negative reaction to TT. However, Knight knows a little bit more about the game than Coach Self does... (He might be the only one on the planet in that category) and his criticism was continual during the game he covered. However, my biggest concern with TT is not the number of mistakes... It's his first reaction after making terrible decisions or bad plays. He is the one who points fingers, whines, etc. and throws teammates under the bus instead of manning up and owning his errors... and that is going to bite this team, big time, if he doesn't stop it.

machinegun 2 years, 4 months ago

10 is the leader of our team. I support him unconditionally. We need Tyshawn now more than ever. Coach Self needs him to distribute the ball so that the other guys can get their shots.

justinryman 2 years, 4 months ago

Turnovers happen, but there is a difference in turnovers. there are lazy turnovers and there are aggressive ones. Lazy ones are the ones that cost you, aggressive ones, means you are trying to make a play and it just didn't go right.

The same goes for making a mistake and compounding it with another. A lazy pass on the wing and then committing a bad foul on a layup and giving them a chance at a 3pt play.

If TT is trying to make a play, or get something started and bad things happen I can live with that. I will take what he has given us and what he will give us. He's tough, he's hard nosed and this team needs him to play his style within Coach Self's style to be successful.

Eric Baker 2 years, 4 months ago

Gotta love the people qualifying Bill Self's points about Tyshawn as just defending his player or playing a psychology game with him.

Reminds me of how when Ray Bradbury gave a talk at a university about how Fahrenheit 451 had been misinterpreted, that it wasn't about censorship so much as it was about a society that would willingly substitute worthwhile knowledge with meaningless factoids. And a student got up and told him that it WAS about censorship, and that he was wrong about his own book.

People will cling to their ideas even when the ultimate authority, someone they have no business questioning, tells them otherwise. I don't care if you still hate Tyshawn, but this should at least make you appreciate all the amazing things he offers to this team.

RockChalk26 2 years, 4 months ago

I'm a "My God" guy. Yes, some of TT games are chalked full of dumb mistakes but rarely do his mistakes lead to loses. 102 - 16 lifetime as a Jayhawk is very impressive. It has to be one of the better winning percentages for any player at Kansas. He is a winner and will be missed. (Well, missed by me)

Tony Bandle 2 years, 4 months ago

Two sides to this coin:

Heads: He is a NC winning coach who sees Tyshawn every day, works with him and has trusted the team leadership to him...total credibility. Team record during Tyshawn's time as a Jayhawk :102 -16

Tails; We all have seen every game that Tyshawn has played and observed repeated bad plays, bad shots and bad judgement, not to mention suspensions and off court issues.

Two conclusions: Oh my God, we only have one semester of Tyshawn left. Oh thank God, we only have one semester of Tyshawn left.

Which is your response?

justanotherfan 2 years, 4 months ago

Bill Self knows that in order for Tyshawn to play his best he must feel free. If Tyshawn is out there trying not to make mistakes, avoiding risks, etc. yes, turnovers will go down, but you will see Tyshawn's overall productivity fall. Instead of 13 assists, he would have had 4 or 5. Yeah, the turnovers would be limited, but do we want to give up 8 or 9 easy baskets in favor of not turning the ball or 5 or 6 times. Give me the 8 or 9 open looks. PGs get you open looks. Tyshawn does that for this team. Therefore, he is a good point guard. If he turns it over a little less, he could be great.

Jayhawks Rock 2 years, 4 months ago

TT, chin up. You are a great player. Work on what you can. Be a part of the team and do what needs doing. The team is getting better every week.

tom123kufan 2 years, 4 months ago

We as KU fans are so spoiled, year after year we are fed talent and great numbers and at the end of the day...normally a Win. It is so hard as a spoiled fan to understand that in a game perfection is seldom possible. It can be achieved in spurts, but over the long period of a season perfection 100% is kinda impossible. So stating that TT has made too many errors, but we still have been in every game and only lost two, which were in a distracting setting and against the top 6 in the country. The sky is not falling folks, we have the talent to go far, and if perfection raises its ugly head in March instead of in Dec like we have wanted it too, then look out! This team can be very dangerous in March if the loose ends get tied up for a stretch of games. Good for you coach to build up your player, letting him know you are in his corner. Kids want to play for coaches like that. At the end of the year lets watch TT get on a run and find the missing pieces we are all looking for. Coach has the faith and i do too. Go KU!

Clarence Haynes 2 years, 4 months ago

A classic example of what Self is saying was early in the Ohio St game whenTT and EJ were on a break and both had open threes. Instead of taking the shot, TT dished it to EJ for a three and that was the beginning of EJ's string of threes. Good leadership IMO.

kufankam 2 years, 4 months ago

I don't mind it when a guy has 4 or 5 turnovers if they are aggressive type turnovers. TT has some of those, but the ones that are maddening are the ONE HANDED passes that HIS defender steals. I trust that, through film, Self will point these things out to him and I am hopeful of a good conference run for TT!!

William Blake 2 years, 4 months ago

TT is a senior and people have had 4 years to develop their ideas about TT. I doubt many fans will change their minds after having so long to form their opinion... even in a year when TT has become so valuable to the team. CS said it best that we wouldn't be walking away with many of the victories without TT.

CS also said it best quite some time ago when he commented on TT's high TOs and he said that we just have to adjust our minds to accept more TOs as the expense for receiving so much that TT has to offer.

But many fans want to vent when TT comes off of a double-digit, KU record-setting TO night.

The best solution is to let time play it out. I'm hopeful down the road TT will reduce his TOs to a number that doesn't pull fan emphasis away from his spectacular drives to the basket or pile of assists.

Dropping our TOs as a team would have a phenomenal impact on the scoreboard. Imagine the blow out we would have handed OSU had we protected the ball a bit better? In that game we would get up by 9 or so then let them stay close with TOs. That game easily could have been a 25-pt blow out. If that had happened we would be on here today talking about how good our defense has been lately...

I think, as fans, we should target our frustration less at TT, and more directly to TOs themselves. TT isn't the only one with high TOs... we can direct our criticisms away from being so personal and focus on the TOs themselves. After all, all TOs hurt us, not just TOs from TT. TT handles the ball more than any other Hawk so he will usually lead the TO stat.

It would be great if Tharpe gets more PT and capable real soon so he can give TT a needed break on the floor. We've been focusing most of our attention on getting more post depth. That is paying off... now we need to give the guards a bit more relief with help from Tharpe.

HawkKlaw 2 years, 4 months ago

It's easy to be a critic and nitpick every facet of TT's game, but whether you like him or not he's the general on this KU team. He is the leader (if you don't believe me, take a look at the kusports.com poll given to the players before the season kicked off...it was unanimous). If KU is going to have any chance at winning it all this year, TT will be the one leading us there.

I have a lot more respect for the guy knowing that he put the team first and played through the injury to get us two tough wins. You can question his decision-making at times, but you can't question his heart. And like Self said, where would KU be without Tyshawn?

t25avery 2 years, 4 months ago

I have no problem with TT's t.o.'s when he is making an aggressive play, but the t.o.'s that drive me crazy are the ones where he is being lackadaisical with the ball and just flat out gets his pocket picked! He just needs to value the ball more and understand that every possession is very important, which I am sure Coach Self has preached to him over and over again. But some kids just don't get it until later on in life and maybe TT won't while at KU. It's a shame because if he figured out the metal side of the game, with his talent he would be unstoppable!

KGphoto 2 years, 4 months ago

I love that Bill Self defends his guy, but didn't he just get finished with a mini tirade about how we are the worst passing team in the country? Isn't Taylor at the front of the line in that regard? I mean, he didn't single out Tyshawn, and I know other guys are making bad passes, so maybe that's what this is about, but he was steaming mad when he said those things about Ohio St. picking the score. So I think it's fair for us to criticize Tyshawn when he passes to Jay Bilas on the fast break.

He's a roller coaster ride. Sometimes you are leaning into the corners screaming in excitement, other times you might be throwing up on the person next to you.

Danny Hernandez 2 years, 4 months ago

With praise comes criticism, the name of the game in sports

iamakufan 2 years, 4 months ago

I tend to agree Tyshawn Taylor doesn't get the credit he deserves. Thirteen assists against Ohio State?!!! That's serious basketball. Yes, he had more turnovers than I'd like to see but you can see from the body language that he does care about that. TT is not perfect but he's a very talented young man and I, for one, am both pleased and proud that he's a Jayhawk.

Jack Wilson 2 years, 4 months ago

"These are such correctable mistakes, yet Coach Self hasn't corrected them in 4 years." Blownjay's excellent point above.

As I've mentioned before, Bill Self has created the monster. He's permitted it. He's tolerated it. He's done a bit of "discipline" related to on court play, but then goes right back to TT as if nothing happend. He's made it clear that TT is his guy. Great example was the end of last season when EJ took TT's place .. EJ played great. But many of predicted the EJ's fate .. it didn't matter. TT was destined to take the spot back regardless of EJ's play. It's admirable to defend his player .. and he's right, we need the guy, we would be worse than 7-2 without him, and he extremely talented. The time to change TT has come and gone. An epiphany is highly unlikely.

Bill Self has failed to get the guy under control. This may be a shock to those who believe he is perfection in human skin. What we see is a player that in short bursts, almost like a kid getting scolded, will become more under control ... only to digress back to the monster. The only consistent stretch of excellent, under control play, was the start of the 2010-11 season.

Coach Self has no other choice but to pump this guy up. We desperately need him this season. Focusing on the positives is the best choice at this point.

HotToddy69 2 years, 4 months ago

I heard a rumor Charlie Weis may be looking to recruit Tyshawn to play defensive back because he heard TT can create turnovers.

Slick50 2 years, 4 months ago

I can't speak for anyone else, but my frustration with TT lies in that he's potentially as talented a guard as we've seen at KU. No one can get to the hole faster, and his shot has improved. He just doesn't play smart, and no one will ever refer to him as a student of the game. HCBS has never defended a player more ferverently because Tyshawn has such a fragile mind. It's embarrassing to watch, actually.

As to the suggestion that TT will be drafted, thanks for the laugh. That wouldn't happen if this were the old days when there were more than two rounds.

AsadZ 2 years, 4 months ago

I have been a big TT fan. Even during his earlier struggless I always had hope that he will turn it around. However, after Duke loss in which he had 11 TOs I had lost faith in that TT can take on PG responsibility and deliver consistently, and I had openly suggested that HCBS switch him to #2 spot and make EJ PG of this team.

Now, after reading this article and quotes from HCBS, I have come to realization that I was wrong. HCBS knows his players better than any one else. I can fully understand his point. He may be playing a little bit psychological game here but I trust him.

TT, I am sorry for my earlier critics. I hope you continue to play well and as coach says tighten things up and become true leader of this team. All The Best.

Ron Franklin 2 years, 4 months ago

P.S.

I also hate when he drives to the hoop and gets his back parallel to the floor like he's gonna take a nap in mid air. He lays backward as he goes up for the shot....

Go up STRONG and straight to the GD Rack if that's what you intend to do Tyshawn.

You have the semi circle under the rim now--use it to your advantage.

Ron Franklin 2 years, 4 months ago

I know he does a lot of great things. And the team is better with him on the court.

But....

I am so tired of seeing the careless turnovers. Regardless of injury or how good somebody says he is or how tough his. Whatever.

He is a college senior point guard and he regularly dribbles the ball off of his foot and legs. He regularly leaves the floor without having somebody to pass to. He regularly throws one-armed, errant passes.

Yes, he's great. We're better off with him. But why why why why does he continue to make high school mistakes? Why hasn't this been coached out of him? These are such correctable mistakes, yet Coach Self hasn't corrected them in 4 years.

ccarp 2 years, 4 months ago

I understand it is a game, so need to be harsh on Tyshawn. But I do believe the thing we all want to see is less turnovers. It's one thing to loose possession due to strong defense or within the offense, but another when it appears it is due to careless ball handling. We love ya Tyshawn. We need you. We want you to succeed. Please take better care of the ball.

Joel Hood 2 years, 4 months ago

Self is playing master psychologist with Taylor's confidence. Of course TT is turning the ball over way too much and Self knows that criticism has hit the point of diminishing returns - more will only hurt his play.

tical523 2 years, 4 months ago

Live by the sword, die by the sword. Taylor brings so much and frustrates even more sometimes, let's hope he is ultra sharp and focused in march because we definitely need him more than any other to win.

drymartinie 2 years, 4 months ago

This isnt really related, but has anyone else noticed in the LJW this year that nearly EVERY time they mention Thomas Robinson they have to mention his height (which is overgenerously listed as 6-10). I see it over and over. They dont do that with any other player. Even in the quote above, and it has no bearing on the article. Are they trying to aid his draft status or something?

fansincewilt 2 years, 4 months ago

Bill Self is honest but he will defend his players. These guys could not possibly ask for a better person to mentor them in the game of basketball. It's obvious that Self is not only thinking of Taylor as a player but as a person as well. That is an ingredient that makes him one of if not the top coach/es in the nation. However, those of us who have been in support of Taylor know to speak and then duck for you are going to get shot down. I had that happen again to me yesterday.

Robert Brock 2 years, 4 months ago

"He's just got to make some better decisions."

Taylor is a fourth-year starter. How long does it take to make better decisions?

Alohahawk 2 years, 4 months ago

We, as Jayhawk fans, have been spoiled by some terrific players over the years. We set the bar high and expect the current crop to equal or exceed those from before. Unfortunately, not every player is going to perform at that level. We need to remember that no one, not even those with their numbers hanging in the rafters, were perfect. (Even the teams Danny played on lost games, and he probably remembers a few mistakes he made during his 4 years.)

I'm sure TT realizes he isn't without his faults. Maybe, as HCBS suggests, it's time to stop pointing fingers at his every flaw and give more applause to the positive aspects of Taylor's performances on the court. Yes, he's had more turnovers than we like to see, and has made some bad decisions. But considering KU's W/L record while he has been here, should we truly complain? The Jayhawks have lost two games this season, and with this year's difficult schedule, many KU fans probably doubted they would fair as well. (Some say KU should have won all three games in Maui. But, given the missed traveling calls against Duke, and their lucky shots at the end of the game, I don't blame TT for the lose. Other KU players were on the court, and were just as much at fault.)

Starting off this year, most considered that KU would have an off season because of all the departures from last season's 35 win team (on which, of course, Taylor was KU's lead point guard.) KU has played a much tougher schedule this season, with a less talented team, but they have faired well enough to be ranked #12. Some credit must be given to TT for that accomplishment. What would KU's record have been if Taylor hadn't played either season? Hard to say. We had high expectations for Selby, but he didn't perform to our expectations either. Had he stayed, perhaps he would have proven his worth. But he didn't, so the possibilities are a mote point.

The glass is more than half full, thanks to Taylor. Give credit to his accomplishments, and let us believe in HCBS's trust in TT. After all, in the final wash, it's Self's judgement that counts.

Get well soon, Tyshawn. Think positive. I'll look forward to your return to the court.

KU_Alumn_2000 2 years, 4 months ago

Reed, Morningstar, Rush, Robinson, and Chalmers were ALL better guards by the time they left Kansas than what they were before.

The theory of guards not progressing Or improving under Self is rediculous.

jayhawkaloogie 2 years, 4 months ago

Chalmers was the exception. He was smart and knew how to pass like a true point. Of course, he's a coach's son. Good point about self's preference for combo guards, but any guard in any system has to know how to distribute, take care of the ball, manage the clock, and choose high percentage shots. Taylor has his moments, but mostly relies on streetball moves. He shows a lack of discipline, which I think is a reflection of coaching. Self defends him because he hasn't taught otherwise. Every turnover is potentially a 6 point swing in scoring. That has hurt us and will continue to be a thorn in our side. Disclaimer for all the hater haters: I'm not saying self and taylor suck. I'm saying changes need to be made to maintain the standard of excellence we're used to. Neither self nor Taylor are above criticism and improvement. Self keeps talking about "tightening" things up. I can't wait to see evidence of it

EverRisingHawk 2 years, 4 months ago

The story all season has been a lack of depth - namely depth of the offensive variety. That leaves TRob and Tyshawn with two massive roles - one that Taylor never had to envisage in a previous season. On multiple occasions, Self has instructed Tyshawn to do what he can to slash and get to the basket - frankly, he's the only guard on our team capable of shouldering such a load when our half court offense simply isn't producing. However, that style of play - drive to score or drive to dish - is conducive to TO's. I'm not saying that some of his mistakes haven't been irritating for enthusiastic couch analysts, but those very same sofa coaches seem to ignore Self when he says that without Taylor, we simply don't win. A lion's share of the TT criticism that I have read on this site and elsewhere amounts to little more than blatantly negative prattle with little to no constructive value at all. One individual posted a mock thank you note from Coach K, congratulating TT for handing them the win. That is absurd. Those who say they're excited for TT to be out of a Hawks uniform have not been watching the season unfold (at least not very closely). I support you Tyshawn.

Ferd Magellan 2 years, 4 months ago

Since we almost never have a true point guard, I doubt you can hold that against Self. There are a lot of risks with his preferred system of alternating combo guards instead of featuring one or two point guards, but I'd say it has paid off.

Chalmers, Robinson, Collins were all completely different players as upperclassmen. Our fans were almost cruel to Chalmers and Robinson as freshmen, then treated them like gods their final two seasons.

jayhawkaloogie 2 years, 4 months ago

No one doubts Taylor's talent. He just looks dumb as a rock on the court sometimes. Observation: KU PGs in the self era make a lot of the same irritating mistakes from freshman to senior year. Big men, however, improve by leaps and bounds from one year to the next (TRob, DJackson, DArthur...). Self was a PG. Manning was a big. Coincidence? Manning for big 12 coach of the year

Ferd Magellan 2 years, 4 months ago

Many of our fans turned on Collins and Reesing their senior seasons, and those two are KU legends. I can't say I'm surprised that a huge number of our fans would throw Taylor under the bus after we've overachieved against a brutal non-conf schedule with no returning starters around him.