Kansas defeats Georgia Tech, 28-25

• 11 a.m., Sept. 11, 2010
  • David Booth Kansas Memorial Stadium, Lawrence, KS

Saturday, September 11, 2010

KU upsets No. 15 Georgia Tech, 28-25

Kansas freshman running back James Sims takes off on a run against the Georgia Tech defense during the first quarter, Saturday, Sept. 11, 2010 at Kivisto Field.

Highlights: KU vs. Georgia Tech

Kansas took down a ranked Georgia Tech team, 28-25, Saturday, September 11, 2010.

Videos

Turner Gill postgame: Georgia Tech

video thumbnail

Kansas head coach Turner Gill addressed the media after defeating Georgia Tech Saturday, September 11, 2010.

Feature

KU shocks No. 15 Georgia Tech, 28-25

Kansas' defense came up with a fourth-down stand in the final minute, helping the Jayhawks to a 28-25 victory over No. 15 Georgia Tech on Saturday at Memorial Stadium.

Eight was enough for the Kansas University football program, which ended an eight-game losing streak that dated back to October of 2009 with a 28-25 victory against No. 15 Georgia Tech on Saturday at Memorial Stadium.

“It was a rough week for the team,” junior tight end Tim Biere said. “And the locker room after the game, there’s never been anything like it. Maybe after the Missouri game, when Todd (Reesing) threw (a game-winning touchdown pass) to Kerry (Meier, to beat the Tigers in 2008). Maybe I could compare it to that, but other than that it was the best thing I’ve ever been a part of.”

For even the most devout KU football fan, Saturday’s victory was hard to imagine.

One week after suffering arguably the most humiliating loss in the program’s history, the Jayhawks knocked off a ranked BCS-conference squad that brought big-time athletes and an intimidating option offense to Lawrence.

In the end, it was KU’s familiarity with Georgia Tech’s system, as well as the team’s belief that the season was not lost, that allowed the Jayhawks to prevail.

“Before the game, (senior safety) Olaitan Oguntodu got us all huddled up and said, ‘Hey, I believe that we’re going to win this game. The offense is going to take care of their business, and we’re going to take care of our business,’” said junior linebacker Steven Johnson, who recorded 11 tackles. “And he was like, ‘Some people think we gotta go out there and play their game, but, you know what, we tell ’em when we’re ready for them to pass.’”

It wasn’t Oguntodu’s words as much as what they represented that spoke the loudest. Here was an inexperienced senior on a team coming off an embarrassing loss telling teammates they could beat the No. 15 team in the country. Credit Kansas coach Turner Gill for bringing that attitude to town and stressing it with enough conviction that his players believe it.

There were plenty of physical factors in Saturday’s victory, too. For starters, running back James Sims (17 carries, 101 yards, one TD) became the first true freshman in school history to rush for 100 yards in his debut.

“When I first stepped onto the field, I was a little nervous,” Sims said. “But after all that got away, I wasn’t really thinking about my yardage, I was just thinking about how I’m going to help the team win this game. You gotta give credit to everybody. We all just come together.”

Red-shirt freshman quarterback Jordan Webb, who played the fourth quarter of last week’s loss, started this one and brought better flow and rhythm to the offense immediately.

Webb’s first start matched Sims’ debut in terms of effectiveness, as the native of Union, Mo., finished 18-of-29 for 179 yards and three touchdowns.

“I loved the way he (came) in the ballgame,” Gill said of Webb. “I liked his body language, and the players responded to him. That’s what you want to see from a quarterback. The other 10 guys respond to your quarterback, when he’s in the huddle, when he’s on the field, when he’s off the field, and then it carries over to your defense. And I saw that.”

It was a game of many firsts.

It was KU’s first home victory against a Top-15 opponent since the Jayhawks beat No. 2 Oklahoma, 28-11, in 1984.

Ted McNulty, a reserve tight end, snagged his first career reception.

Biere, who struggled mightily in last week’s opener, caught his first career touchdown pass in the second quarter.

Sophomore Bradley McDougald, the team’s third-leading receiver in 2009, also caught his first career touchdown pass — the first for Webb, too — and the hook-up represented the Jayhawks’ first TD of the 2010 season.

Of course, many of those pale in comparison to the fact that the thrilling three-point victory forever will be remembered as Gill’s first at Kansas.

Despite the fast start, KU trailed, 17-14, at halftime. In the second half, however, KU’s defense took over. Though that unit surrendered 407 yards of total offense — 308 of those coming on the ground — the Jayhawks stifled Georgia Tech’s option game enough that they forced the Yellow Jackets to take to the air in their attempt to come back.

Asked if that benefited his team, Gill did not hesitate to answer.

“No question about that,” he said. “That’s (not) something they want to do. And that gave us an opportunity to make plays. I can’t speak enough about our staff. (Defensive coordinator Carl) Torbush did an excellent job.”

A roughing-the-passer call against Georgia Tech kept alive a scoring drive for Kansas, and junior wideout Daymond Patterson made the Yellow Jackets pay on the next play by taking a five-yard pass from Webb and pinballing his way to a 32-yard, highlight-reel TD that ended up being the difference.

Now that Gill has seen his team play like he knew it was capable of, the first-year coach is ready for the next step.

“As they come in Monday, I need to see where their focus is,” Gill said. “They’ve shown me how they handle a loss, now I need to see how they handle a win, how they handle prosperity.”

Comments

s6u6r6f 9 years, 3 months ago

Too bad for all the weak scheduling fat man lovin' race hatin' sour grapers. Nicely done, Hawks.

yates33333 9 years, 3 months ago

Why the race hatin'? Do you hate people who disagree with you because of their color?

Likewise, I hope you weren't one who said "the fat man" left KU stripped of talent. After all he coached the team that won the Orange Bowl. Name another KU coach who did that.

Jack Wilson 9 years, 3 months ago

Always have to inject race when race isn't an issue .. it is the whine of that never goes out of style, and the ultimate excuse for everything that doesn't turn out the way one may have hoped.

Dirk Medema 9 years, 3 months ago

Turner doesn't agree, but there have been plenty of people who have said that Turner has been denegrated b/c of race.

Gary Wirsig 9 years, 3 months ago

...and what evidence do bring to support your claim?

Eric Williams 9 years, 3 months ago

Mangino also had an overall losing record while at KU. That was over 7 years too.

Kevin Studer 9 years, 3 months ago

There's always one "true American" ready to bring their small-minded political paranoia into any discussion. Thank you, Sooballs, for keeping the bitter-off-topic streak akive!

bad_dog 9 years, 3 months ago

How do you know who was or was not interviewed? Were you hiding under Perkin's desk? What about all the talk regarding Harbaugh's interest in the job? Was he "interviewed" or were there informal discussions?

You continuously exhibit negativity coupled with a complete lack of class, regardless of the topic. Objective criticism is one thing. Lobbing pot shots for the sake of creating controversy and divisiveness is completely another.

So keep crying us a river, Soo bawls. It's obvious you are a very unhappy person and just need to vent your vitriol somewhere. You really ought to post on some political articles-you would feel right at home there and might actually find someone to agree with you.

bad_dog 9 years, 3 months ago

Let us know if you ever have anything factual to add.

That just about covers it.

Dan Harris 9 years, 3 months ago

Sooballllllls, just STFU! already, Gill's hiring had nothing to do with race, Zero,Zilch,Not a thing just as Mangino's firing had nothing to do with race. I'm so sick and tired of the "race" issue from BOTH sides of the isle !!!

hailtoku 9 years, 3 months ago

Seriously, shut up.

I hope KUSports.com administrators are looking carefully at some of these posts and deleting them.

Tony Bandle 9 years, 3 months ago

Soobawls, a question please...

Just a question, not facetious or judgemental, but what type of season would Head Coach Gill need to produce to counteract the label of his hire as a collectivist action?

Or is that label permanent and, no matter how positve the season ends up, Kansas "just got lucky.?"

Sam Brockert 9 years, 3 months ago

SOOBAWLS, for people like you ANYTIME a person of color is hired in ANY position with power you say it is because of his race. Then you say in the same breath you are not racist. Yet you constently say that black coaches NEVER make it on their own merrits. Are you saying there are no black coaches deserving of a Div 1 head coaching position?

Randy Bombardier 9 years, 3 months ago

I think if I were John Brown you might be one of my first "victims."

JJHAWK 9 years, 3 months ago

This coming game may be our bowl maker. Three wins out of conference would give us a shot. I think we have a shot at 3 or more in conference.

lv_jhwk 9 years, 3 months ago

I just hope last week's loss isn't the one that would keep us out of a bowl. Give me at least six wins (or more) this season, or just four.

Kip Reiserer 9 years, 3 months ago

Good point on both sides, would be interesting. But let's not get ahead of ourselves just yet!

djhawk75 9 years, 3 months ago

I believe that a win against NDSU would not have counted toward bowl eligibility because it is an FCS team.

lv_jhwk 9 years, 3 months ago

One win against an FCS opponent is allowed towards bowl eligibility each year.

Andy Tweedy 9 years, 3 months ago

Who knows? Maybe, in some sad way, last week was exactly what this team needed. Would we have been this focused had we won last week?

kufanman88 9 years, 3 months ago

You should wait and see how consistent they become before making wild predictions. Southern Miss can certainly beat KU, and the remaining schedule for KU is not easy. New Mexico State, Colorado, and Iowa State will all still be challenges for this team. To win six will be very tough. I am not sold on Gill until he can get his team to play consistently every week.

Jayhawker413 9 years, 3 months ago

all you fake fans who jumped to conclusions after ONE GAME on coach gill where are you now... crickets

jayhawkintx73 9 years, 3 months ago

I for one immediately after the game said they proved me wrong today.

yates33333 9 years, 3 months ago

The big question, yet to be answered, is whether yesterday's game was a fluke or if last week's was the difference from what will be the norm. I hope the loss to NDU was the deviation.

kufanman88 9 years, 3 months ago

You seem to be doing the same thing. One game does not a team make. Lets see some consistency before making wild predictions of future victories.

hailtoku 9 years, 3 months ago

So this game proves all the people who don't like Gill wrong?

How quickly we forget our loss to North Dakota State University.

String together 6 to 8 more of these games together and I will come crawling back.

Craig Lang 9 years, 3 months ago

Regardless of how the team did last week against NDSU, my total assessment of Coach Turner will be on a game-by-game basis this entire first season (or at least until we get bowl eligible). Granted, last week's loss did a lot to hurt my opinion of the coach, but yesterday's win has put him back in my good graces. Let's just see how the rest of the season plays out.

Randy Bombardier 9 years, 3 months ago

Really thrilled to see this win. But please, do not forget this last week how you felt, but yes, take it one game at a time.

lv_jhwk 9 years, 3 months ago

Nice job, Coach Gill and the rest of his staff. Hopefully this is a more accurate look at the team we will see take the field week after week. And it was a definite thrill to see the players step up this week after numerous dreadful performances last week.

All that said, I'm stuck with one huge question: should I be even a bit more sickened by last Saturday's outcome given today's results, or assume that the team doesn't play with quite the same fire if they hadn't been so embarrassed?

LAJayhawk 9 years, 3 months ago

You take it as a young team playing their first game of the year under a brand new coach. They have talent and they played together today. Hopefully that can keep going from here on out... whether we win games or not.

cg1029 9 years, 3 months ago

I am not sure what to say about today... On one hand I am very excited about the win, but on the other hand I have to question TG's ability to evaluate talent. If after all of spring, summer and fall practice he still felt that Pick was a better QB then Webb and that Simms was not deserving of getting on the field during the NDSU debacle that does not speak well of his ability to judge who should be in the game...

While the win is nice I dont think that we really learned anything about KU by beating a team that has limited ability to pass the ball... Do I feel better about the season now? Yes, but I am not sure when we will face another team that is as one deminsonal as GT.

Dirk Medema 9 years, 3 months ago

Webb got the start less b/c of his play vs. Pick, and more b/c of the orientation of the team toward passing - Webb's stronger point. It's about the team, and evaluating ALL the players. Turner has also said often that the battle was both really close, and really not decided until you see how they react in the game. But then, maybe you don't read much, or just not without comprehension.

As for Sims, it is great that he got 100, but Quigley was getting just as many YPC. He just didn't get as many carries. It is also unclear whether Sims would have even played if Sands hadn't gotten hurt. It is also unclear how much the O benefited from Hatch rejoining the OL. There certainly were more holes this week than against NDSU - regardless of who had the ball.

There were 11 other teams that couldn't handle the one dimensional ACC conference champion. We probably won't play another team with as unique an O either for the rest of the year. Glad you feel better.

jayhawkox 9 years, 3 months ago

OMG, really? You people are going to use this opportunity to keep bashing Gill??? Serriously? He gave Pick the starting job bc they didn't feel he deserved to lose it, more than he deserved to win it, as reported by Matt Tait, the one consistently good football reporter on here. It didn't work, they fixed it. If Pick doesn't get picked off the end zone and Branstetter hadn't missed that field goal, they wouldn't have lost last week either. Quigs still averaged 5.8 ypc today too, so it's not like he's a crap back. Give them credit for assessing and fixing the problems, feeding the hot hand in the games, and pulling off a huge win. All you people did this when Bill's first few years didn't catch on fire straight out of the gate too, and that turned out pretty good. If all you can think of today is last week, I feel sorry for you.

bradh 9 years, 3 months ago

I don't believe Pick was the whole problem last week. We had fewer turnovers this week, fewer dropped balls, and the offensive line did a much better job of blocking. I believe the results would have been the same if Pick had started today. Webb looked good today and I have no problem with him at the helm, I just see no reason to take a pot shot at Pick.

Andy Tweedy 9 years, 3 months ago

Have you ever posted something positive?

Jack Wilson 9 years, 3 months ago

This is a day for apologies. I, for one, jumped the gun and made a lot of assumptions after week one. We are now back to even. One embarrassment, one highlight.

My apologies, Mr. Gill. I will judge after a full season.

hailtoku 9 years, 3 months ago

How easily we can go 1-10, 2-9, 3,8, 4-9

"I for one, jumped the gun and made a lot of assumptions after week one".

^^Yes, and you're jumping the gun and making a lot of assumptions after week 2.

Larry Smith 9 years, 3 months ago

Hail, Do you have issues comprehending statements?

How do you read this statement: "My apologies, Mr. Gill. I will judge after a full season."

And come up with this: "Again, our record is 1-1 with a loss against North Dakota State and you ready to say Gill is the man?"

What part of HEM's statement made you think that he says Gill is the man?

Waiting to judge until after the season, you should give it a try.

Rick Arnoldy 9 years, 3 months ago

"I will judge after a full season."

What part of that statement did you miss, hail.

Chris Bruning 9 years, 3 months ago

kualuminohio 9 years, 3 months ago

Go Jayhawks, Whew, YAAAAAA... Great Win, again we need to support our team and also expect greatness and competitiveness. Congratulations coach, those of us who disrespected you last week owe apologies. To the team way to play competitive...

Randy Glenn 9 years, 3 months ago

Great game for the Hawks today. Complete turnaround from that stuff last week. I guess one bad game kept some fans from showing up. Did anyone else notice the GT flag at the top of the Oread??? Why are they showin love to them?

jayhawker4real 9 years, 3 months ago

Maybe because they believe our opponents should be treated with dignity and respect? Maybe because they realise without GT there would have been no possibility of defeating a ranked team yesterday? Maybe because the GT fans are spending money on expensive rooms and booze, not just expensive booze like us Jayhawkers within driving distance? :-)

harv89 9 years, 3 months ago

WOW! Last week was the worst I saw a defense play since a greg robinson defense. Last week was the worst I saw a offense play since a Herm was coaching the chiefs. The special teams were atrocious.

WOW! So I'm ready for the slaughter. Then what happened? The team looks like it actually coached. Why didn't it look coached against our first patsy?

I will say I'm so happy because after last week we didn't look to have a shot against our rivals at all. Maybe the program isn't set back 10 years.

stravinsky 9 years, 3 months ago

"Last week was the worst I saw a defense play since a greg robinson defense."

Dude, our defense held NDSU to 168 yards and 6 points. That's pretty respectable. Agree about the offense though.

With regards to herm, though, we can build on this!

THEDUDE007 9 years, 3 months ago

Any more of you still sipping on the Coach Gil Haterade? I bet you were the same ones sipping the Self flavored brand before he won the champonship. Lets wait a few seasons before we cast judgement from now on and not one game.

kufanman88 9 years, 3 months ago

Lets wait till the end of the season. He makes too much money for a rookie BCS conference coach to give him a few seasons. He needs to win now, otherwise that huge salary is for not.

Scott Lippoldt 9 years, 3 months ago

I read all the negative posts last week...Fire Gill! The Hawks won't win a single game this year! Nice guys finish last! Bring back Mangino! etc., etc., etc. That after a single game with a brand-new coach, completely different coordinators, a whole new system, and last year's team that was supposed to be the most talented ever at KU and managed lost its last 7 games. ((Great coaching and motivational tactics, huh?!)

Yes, we still will lose some games this year, and next year, and the next... But I, for one, am proud to have Turner Gill and his staff at KU and would never, ever want to go back to the coaching "style" of Mr. Mangino. I am an educator, and I firmly believe that young people of all ages will perform their best when motivated through positive means rather than bullying and belittlling tactics. I also highly respect and admire Gill's no swearing and no drug policy--just think what our world would be like if all institutions, companies, etc., adhered to such high morals.

I will remain a Jayhawk supporter through thick and thin. I am glad that a few posters already have come on to say they were wrong and are willing to give this team and coach a second chance. I encourage all of you who were bashing the Jayhawks in the previous weeks to get on board and to post an apology. You do realize that the players and possibly the coaches do read these comments? And for those of you who are too stubborn (ignorant?) to admit you were wrong, GROW UP!!!

RCJH!!!!!

Scott Lippoldt 9 years, 3 months ago

Does anybody else notice that after last week's loss there were hundreds of posts, but now that we win against a team that was ranked 15th and has been to a bowl game 13 straight years, there are just a handful of comments? Are you all truly that negative of people, hoping that our Jayhawk football team will fail like we always have in the past? This board should be absolutely loaded with excited, jubilant posts--that was a great game for our football program yesterday! C'mon, people!!!!

Scott Lippoldt 9 years, 3 months ago

You all do realize that with our former coach we had exactly one great year, a couple of decent years, and many poor years? What was our overall conference record and our record against top 20 teams during the Mangino era? BTW: that one good year was due to the schedule--if we had to play Texas and Oklahoma and if we ended up playing in the Big 12 title game we would have lost 3 games and not been in the Orange Bowl--and we were lucky to have been selected for that game to begin with. We also played the weakest possible opponent in a BCS game.

I'm not saying I wasn't thrilled, excited, and proud about that year--but let's be honest about what really happened. Then the next year, with more talent than ever, we lose our last 7 games?!?!

Give Gill and company a chance. He already has more and better recruits lined up for next year than Mangino ever did. While we really weren't that good before, I truly believe we have the opportunity to have the best run of football in the next few years that KU has ever seen. Who knows, maybe we can become a basketball AND football school. I doubt it, but I sure am willing to be optimistic.

eastcoasthawk 9 years, 3 months ago

While I am thrilled with yesterday's victory, reminded me of a ranked UCLA beatdown while I was a student (it made the season), your revisionist history irks me.

First, you downplay the year our team finally made it to the Orange Bowl, a BCS bowl that used to be the crown jewel of bowls for the Big 8 by saying we got there due to our schedule. Well, I guess we should all expect to be going to Miami this year again, huh?

And the next year we lost our last 7 games? I could swear that at least 20K of our fans went to Tempe AZ the next year and celebrated New Year's with a win at the Insight Bowl.

What was the line in that movie? Oh yeah, your logic is undeniable.

As for this year, I expect us to see more of a roller coaster and will be happy if we win 4 games or more. And good, bad or indifferent, I have to say I am happy that there are soooo many fans that care about the football team and how they play on the field. No matter what though I support the team and their coaches. RCJH.

kufanman88 9 years, 3 months ago

A large part of the equation in making BCS bowls is due to chance. So what is your point? You are quite wrong about the recruiting. Check the national rankings for Mangino's recruiting classes and then see what Gill had done thus far. He will have to bring a number (like 4 to 5 four stars) to match or exceed the ranking Mangino consistently established, and that was in the top 30 national rankings. If he can exceed Mangino, then more power to him. What I have seen so far does not make me believe he can recruit to the level Mangino did.

NebraskaJayhawk 9 years, 3 months ago

The key to yesterday's game was the play of our offensive line. They looked hungry....and they should have been as poorly as they played the week before. Here's to hoping they continue improving week by week.

Oh, and by the way, I think Sims might be our best running back. He has some moves and some power to go along with them. Haven't seen Bourbon yet though.

I'm just excited Coach Gill is comitted to running the football.

John Mueller 9 years, 3 months ago

Congrats to Coach Gill and the entire team on a great win!

I was a big time negative nancy last week, and I am more than happy to eat my Crow and three scoops of shut up this morning.

It was a great effort and a great win and I am VERY proud of this team this morning. But in the words of Steve A: HOWEVER...

No 29 (apparently we don't use names anymore which is ridiculous, that needs to change) is our running back. Somebody up above said Quigley is just as good. That's just dumb. 29 is much more explosive to the hole, has the ability to make somebody miss and has better speed in the open field.

He should have been the starting back last week.

Second, this isn't about race. The next dummy that says something about race should be permanently banned from this site. Do you really think a bunch of college educated KANSAS JAYHAWKS are bigots and racists? That is such overplayed stupidity it barely merits a response. But, once and for all for you race baiters, its about WINNING, not about feelings, diversity, inclusiveness, politics or any other crap.

WINNING.

Last week was the biggest POS in the history of Kansas football. We clearly had the wrong players on the field. Congrats to No. 2 for managing the game and for the most part, making great decisions with the football this week.

And, we played poorly in special teams, the players on the field were lost on many occasions, and, (I wasn't there to count them, but i am told on multiple occasions we had only 10 men on the field)

That is completely unacceptable.

I have NO idea, ZERO, how you can lay that egg last week and then win yesterday.

I couldn't be happier for the players or the coaching staff and I will be rooting for them 100%!

But, last week was totally unacceptable. Accountability is not only ok is this society, it is imperative.

I think somebody said it right earlier. We need to give them a chance and form an opinion on a full body of work (12 games).

And, to have had a successful season, they certainly don't need to go to a BCS game.

Be prepared. Know your assignments, play fundamentally sound, have the right players on the field to WIN THE GAME. Where in the world is Toben (can't remember his number cuz i haven't seen him).

Then, if you lose, you lose, but you lose giving a GREAT effort.

Again, CONGRATS to Coach Gill and staff on a great win! But, it is completely ok and appropriate for people to be pissed off about last week. It was THAT bad.

khummel60 9 years, 3 months ago

Thank you springtxhawk for your graciousness. I think we were all pissed off, even those (like me) that were part of the "Give Gill some time" crowd. My issue last week was that folks were making statements about Gills abilities as a head coach based on one game, and that was simply wrong. I don't want to re-litigate that first game, but I can think of many reasons why they played so poorly. I agree part of the blame for week one lies with the coaching staff. But I also know there are many, many factors that go into preparing a bunch of kids to play college ball. I also believe there is less difference between Div-1-A and Div-1-AA than allot of people realize. Yesterday's upsets were another example of this. Many of last week's negative comments seemed to come from folks who never liked the Gill hiring, and were hell-bent on playing "told ya so". I wasn't a fan of Bill Self when KU hired him, but once he was hired I supported him completely. Of course I now know I was wrong about Bill Self. Will Turner Gill prove all the non-Gill-fans wrong, only time will tell. But he's our coach, and based on yesterday's performance it looks like he might actually know what he's doing, so lets all get behind him and help push this train forward.

eastcoasthawk 9 years, 3 months ago

+1. Well done and agree with springtx also.

Doug Merrill 9 years, 3 months ago

"But, they damn sure better not look, play or perform like they did last week, EVER again."

...or what?

These are college kids with - despite all the Mangino supporters - very little starting experience in the main, and the experience for working for megalomaniac with short man syndrome who didn't do a great job teaching, just thought you could be "tough" by being unpredictable, except in your loss of temper. Now they have someone who teaches and a staff with experience. They are still college kids and will screw up. When you get to be AD you can fire coaches after one game and prove how that kind of support gets great coaches and great recruits. Can't wait...

Dan Harris 9 years, 3 months ago

When the rest of us don't have to read your inflammatory,asinine posts any more.

FTC_Jayhawk 9 years, 3 months ago

Woohoo! Awesome win.

I don't think that the majority of the negative comments after last week's game were undeserved, nor do I think the booing last week was undeserved. I think that is the dutiful reaction of a fan base that has come to expect better. What do you hope to see after that? A response from the coaches and players that shows they also expect much better.

More often than not, teams use a game like last week to feel sorry for themselves and seek some small moral victory instead of expecting a win. I am impressed by the mental toughness that the coaches and players showed by coming in this week and expecting victory. I am more impressed by this win that I was depressed about last weeks loss, and I was pretty depressed by last week's loss.

Congratulations guys!! Beat Southern Miss!

steamboat 9 years, 3 months ago

Hey GRRRREAT job Hawks!! I had to eat crow last night but was very exciting to see how this team came back and played so well. FYI>>>> That 38 yard run by Daymond in which he made 7-8 tacklers miss did make ESPN number 4 play. Now that wlll continue to fire up an build momentum on this team. Great job to coach Gill,his staff and the players!!! ROCK CHALK

Troy Abel 9 years, 3 months ago

That was awesome! NIce job coaches, nice job Jayhawks, and nice job fans! I wish I could have been there. You looked awesome on TV, and sounded awesome on the radio. Several of us "Soccer Parents" were jumping up and down with our earphones in. We were with you in spirit. B.E.L.I.E.V.E!!!

Steve Gantz 9 years, 3 months ago

Someone on the Yahoo! story of Minnesota losing to South Dakota yesterday made fun of Minnesota losing to them. The person posting the comment had a Jayhawk as his avatar! The ultimate pot calling the kettle black.

hawk316 9 years, 3 months ago

mulaza, actually UNI has a great football tradition and usually fields excellent teams. During the last several years a number of their players have landed on NFL teams. Furthermore, they almost always give D-I schools a real battle, if not a loss. Believe me, it's no disgrace to lose to UNI.

Bonus fact: the son of the UNI football coach accepted a scholarship last year to play linebacker for KU.

hawk316 9 years, 3 months ago

Actually, Terry Allen had some terrific teams at UNI when he was there. In fact, it was largely based on his success there that he was selected as the KU coach, as I remember it. Unfortunately, for both parties, that move did not work out too well.

Steve Yeakel 9 years, 3 months ago

Great job by the coaches and players, what an inspirational turnaround. All eyes are on you and your faith Coach Gill, do not shy away from that, neither did Joseph or Daniel or Peter or John, keep your faith in Him and allow Him to guide your every step. Your are right that it can be hard to handle prosperity, do not stop to teach them about that part of life and football as well. We are blessed to have you in this job, live your faith in a humble way and help the Good Lord grow His Kingdom in this part of His universe.

CatsEatBirds 9 years, 3 months ago

Thank you Mohammed and Buddah and Mother Earth. Please do not let the blashpemy of steveyea forgetting you in his prayers incite you to send earthquakes and tornadoes and FCS opponents at us.

eastcoasthawk 9 years, 3 months ago

After the egg that we laid last week I was not looking forward to the rest of this season. For many reasons it was bad on multiple levels. All new coaching staff didn't seem to be on the same page and didn't have the team mentally prepared to play a perceived lesser opponent. Team looked confused on the field which led to a lot of individual poor play. Yet, here we are, one week later and we played a pretty complete game.

Offense understood our short pass game plan to open up the running game. Defense did a hell of a job getting to know the option that Paul Johnson has been taking to bowl games for years. Defense had to continually make one on one tackles to keep them from breaking TD runs and did a hell of a job. I thought our 'D' was going to be the weak link this year. I was wrong. They look good through our 2 games.

Stopped the 8 game losing streak. Check.

Beat a ranked team at home for the first time since 1984. Wow. I couldn't believe this when I saw it.

Had a true freshman RB go over 100 yards in his debut and do it against a ranked team. Wow.

No matter how the season turns out this one is going into the memory banks for a long time. So I am again looking forward to seeing it play out like I did before the previous Saturday. Rock'in and Chalk'in out East.

kcgridiron 9 years, 3 months ago

No doubt the egg looks a lot better when it's golden. I sat right next to a GT season ticket holder that travels to all the away games and although he was dissappointed at his teams loss he said GT played their game. Great preperation by our coaching staff and great effort and execution of our game plan by our players. Now we have something to build on.

babyjay1 9 years, 3 months ago

Favorite play of the game - Webb completes a pass and then SHOVES down a GT player coming at him - LOVE IT!!

kufanman88 9 years, 3 months ago

To those who simply level ad hominem attacks of racism against those that criticize Turner Gill, you need be more creative. Every Jayhawk wants to see this team win. There were clearly questionable aspects related to Gill's hiring that would raise the skepticism of any intellectually curious person. As we know, Gill is getting paid one of the highest salaries in the Big 12 before he even won a game. The level of Salary that was given to Gill is on par with coaches that have won at the major BCS conference level. As an AD, you normally incentivize coaches as they win in order to keep them with a program. Lew's methodology was quite different and raised many questions. As a result of Gill's enormous salary (not race) and lofty expectations, he has set himself up for intense criticism at a time when the university and every public university in the country is struggling to pay their faculty. Please think before you level divisive remarks that have little to no foundation in fact.

tis4tim 9 years, 3 months ago

Those of you demanding apologies from people for taking a negative stance after last week's game are being absurd. How is your self-righteousness any better than the petulance you condemn?

No one should apologize for his or her opinion on an opinion board, especially when this team has proven nothing. Yes, it was a huge win, but it came after a devastating loss. So, which is the anomaly? Exactly...we don't know yet.

I was in the camp of those who believed Gill gave Pick too quick a hook last week. I also thought Pick should get a chance to start again this week. In hindsight, I'm thrilled that it all worked out the way it did. However, unless you drive a Delorean and can show me irrefutable proof that you know how this all pans out, it might be wise to tone down your indignation for the time being.

kvskubball 9 years, 3 months ago

Why? Because we aren't negative enough for you?

I was taught that when you made a mistake or said mean things that you should apologize when you came to your senses...

I think a lot of people said mean things last week, especially about Coach Gill, and should apologize...

Manners and all, you know....maybe not?

tis4tim 9 years, 3 months ago

"Why? Because we aren't negative enough for you?"

No...because one good win, no matter how big, doesn't make us instant world beaters or prove that everyone with a valid criticism of this team has no idea what they're talking about.

I too was taught to apologize when I had done something wrong, but I fail to see how voicing an opinion, just because it is unpopular or doesn't jibe with yours, falls under that heading. Nobody should have to apologize for having an opinion, though I would agree with you that tactless posts have no place in any dialogue, no matter how spirited.

Rock Chalk!

Jayhawk1116 9 years, 3 months ago

The loss to NDS last week falls squarely on Chuck Long's shoulders. The defense played well. Did what they were supposed to do. The offense was out of sync, confused, and looked totally unprepared. It wasn't Kale Pick's fault, or Quigley's. The offensive coordinator didn't coordinate.

So, while we are all congratulating TG (rightly so) for yesterday's victory, I think we should throw some props to Chuck Long as well. The offense was light years ahead of last week. Good play calling (for the most part) and good prep. Very few confused looks and delay of game penalties.

I hope we don't all start hating Kale Pick now. I get that vibe from the crowd when he takes the field. The kid can play, and he will be instrumental in future games. And, he's a Kansas kid.

Dan Harris 9 years, 3 months ago

Would love to see him turn into the next KM @ receiver!

jayhawkox 9 years, 3 months ago

Virgina Tech lost to James Madison yesterday, so... FIRE FRANK BEAMER, HE'S A DISGRACE TO HOKIE TRADITION!

steamboat 9 years, 3 months ago

Any chance James Simms is related to great OU rb Billy Simms? His size and quickness resembled Billy's days at OU.

KURiggins 9 years, 3 months ago

Ok. We have spent the whole off season listening to KU Bandwagon fans say how dumb it was to fire Mangino. And then saying "Who Dat" when Turner Gill was hired. Well, here is an interesting fact if you happened to listen to KU postgame with Bob Davis. It was KU's FIRST...mind you FIRST win since 1984 in Memorial Stadium over a Top 15 ranked opponent. So, boom goes the dynamite. Already Gill has topped Mangino in just his second game in that category. And besides its pretty clear to me that Reesing, Meier and Brisoce MADE Mangino..not the other way around. If he had not had a improvising great like Todd Reesing(who still deserves to be in the NFL, if we have to suffer thru idiots like Jason Campbell who sucked at Auburn..enjoy the Raiders and the turf Mr. Campbell), Mangino's career would have sucked. If he had not had a QB willing to turn WR and be great at it like Kerry Meier, he would have stunk. Reesing and Meier MADE Mangino, not the other way around. Are only good season was 2007, and people still love him. I for one would take Turner Gill over Mangino anyday of the week. To those fools, yes I said Fools! Who said fire Turner Gill after ONE game. Where are you now? Huh? This season will most likely have its ups and downs, but make no mistake about it, Turner Gill if given time ..will make KU a Football power in the Big 12. He took Buffalo(lets be honest the best college team none of us had EVER heard of) to new heights. Increasing their winning percentage .400. He will do the same at KU..Yeah, I said it, he will do the same at KU in time. He won in College at Nebraska(never losing a Big 8 game as a QB). He turned Buffalo around and WHO IS BUFFALO? You mean the Bills? Nope turns out they actually have a college football team. He WILL win at KU ! Boom goes the dynamite. See ya later Georgia Tech..see ya soon Big 12

hawk316 9 years, 3 months ago

KURiggins, you bring it like your namesake used to for Pepper Rogers. I love your passion and you make so many good points, I sort of lost count...

KURiggins 9 years, 3 months ago

By the way, for the people saying Gill can't recruit either. Saying things like "am I suppose to get excited over these 2 and 3 star recruits" First, give Gill time and they will increase in stars. Guarantee it. And, the true freshman. Yep True Freshman who impressed many, including me with his vision and speed..oh and the hurdle!!! No one has mentioned the hurdle. In his FIRST ever college action James Sims ..is...if you want to know..a Turner Gill recruit that others may not be excited about, but I am. Turns out, if you saw the Georgia Tech score/highlights on SportsCenter and were not lucky enought to be at this game...this guy Turner Gill...oh..he can coach alright. Ask Georgia Tech if you don't believe me. And watch out Big 12 for Jordan Webb. Go back and look at his HS stats, and his performance yesterday will not shock you. He put up HUGE numbers in HS. Now with Webb, Sims, Patterson, McDougald, Biere(who is still a great TE) an improving OL. And how bout that KU DEFENSE huh? How about the job Carl Torbush is doing? Want to take bets on how many games Georgia Tech will win in the ACC and Torbush, shut them down. If not for turnoves on our end KU wins by more. Yeah we do. We dominated Georgia Tech in every aspect and played with more emotion. Webb will be a great QB in the Big 12. Sims..a Gill recruit..enough said..if you happened to see this game. And he is a true freshman. We've not even seen Bourbon yet. I for one cannot wait. Kale Pick will cause some problems for defenses. We actually have a hurry up now. Not that stuff Mangino used to call a hurry up. Whatever that was? It was not hurry up. Webb, Sims, Patterson, McDougald, Biere and a tough, gritty KU defense. A great coach in Turner Gill. Are you ready for some football? Here come the Hawks!

khummel60 9 years, 3 months ago

Agree 1000%. And thanks for reminding me about the Hurdle - that was so freaking awesome! I'll be replaying the highlights of this game in my mind for a long time. Go Coach Gill and Go KU!

khummel60 9 years, 3 months ago

I just can't get that game out of mind. I may have to watch it again. It was such a complete game. I keep thinking about the great pass protection we got from our OL. How our Defense plugged the gaps perfectly. How well they stuffed the run (save for a couple breakaway runs). And the many times our D-Backs came up with HUGE open field tackles. I keep thinking about Breshears popping Nesbit just shy of the first down marker, almost knocking himself out in the process. Springer playing like a man possessed. Jordan Webb playing like he has been back there for years. Sims looking like a future Heisman candidate (haven't seen promise at tailback like that since the days of Kerwin Bell - dating myself). And Patterson - OMG - what can I say? Patterson was phenomenal. And maybe most of all, I can't get the total effort and passion out of my mind. I was at that game in 1984 when KU beat the Sooners, and while that was pretty special, this one feels so much more meaningful.

None of us can know where this program is headed, but even the biggest skeptic had to be extremely pleased with what happened yesterday. I am an unapologetic Turner Gill fan, not necessarily because I'm convinced he is a big-time coach (jury is still out on that), but because is a class act. I don't think Kansas alums/fans are snobs, but we have always tried to hold ourselves to a higher standard of conduct. We haven't always succeeded (case in point - last year's rumble on the hill), but we've always tried. Turner Gill is the perfect representation of Jayhawk values and pride. For that, as much as anything else, I want him to succeed and make us proud.

RCJHGKU!

Dan Harris 9 years, 3 months ago

Ahhh K Bell, I date myself too! I went to the Hall of Fame Bowl in Birmingham and had to listen to those damn cowbells the whole game after we fumbled the opening kickoff.

jayhawker4real 9 years, 3 months ago

Couldn't agree more, and most fervently with the last paragraph. I'm even happier that Coach Gill's boss retired, for the same reason.

Andrew Moore 9 years, 3 months ago

that was olaitan oguntodu who about killed himself with a strong hit on Nesbitt

khummel60 9 years, 3 months ago

Your right! Thanks for the correction. As I recall now Breshears got hurt falling on his shoulder at one point.

hawksfan83 9 years, 3 months ago

I am the most proud KU fan and it makes me sick to get on this website and hear all of the negative remarks about my football team from so called KU fans. I will be a fan and support my team through the rough times and through the great times no matter what happens on that football field.

Last weeks loss to NDSU sucked and it hurt me just as much as it hurt all of you guys. But for people to get on here and mouth our jayhawks and call for coach Gill to be fired is crazy! This is a very young football team full of young kids that are 18,19,20 years old that learn how to play this game more and more every day, and learning a new system while the coaches are learning what each player can do in games and not just in practice.

We have alot to be excited about as jayhawk fans this year whether we have a losing season or not. We have young players at so many positions that we are going to have the privaledge of watching grow up and improve right before our eyes with every single game.

I'm proud to have coach Gill and I'm proud to be a Jayhawk fan even after last weeks loss. Rockchalk Jayhawk

jayhawker4real 9 years, 3 months ago

Congratulations Jayhawks, great win.

Congratulations Coach Gill and staff, great win.

I didn't post anywhere last week, didn't read stories, I was entirely too upset with the completely unprepared Jayhawk offense that took the field.

I'm not an Xs and Os guy. I can't tell you if a quarterback or defensive lineman has good footwork. I do know that from my seat on the west side of beautiful Memorial Stadium I've become pretty good at being able to tell if someone has what it takes to make a difference and be part of a successful team effort on Saturdays. I'm glad Coach Gill and staff now realise that Pick is not our best option as a starting quarterback. He has never shown the ability to consistently move the team down the field on game day. I'm glad that they realise that the receiver corps is the strength of our offense at this time, and the best quarterback to take advantage of that strength is Webb.

I admire the coaches goal of rewarding tenure, hard work, and a great practice effort, but not at the expense of keeping better game performers off the field. Quigley is a great young man, and a hard worker who has faced a lot of adversity the last four years, but he is not our best option for a starting running back. Strangely, the young man I believe is that best option has not appeared on the field. How can the Jayhawks afford to not have Toben Opurum on the field. Sims showed us he may have what it takes but he will need some help back there.

I'm very happy with the defensive effort. That unit seems to have it together and performed very well this week. I think we can all be proud of the way they limited Georgia Tech's options. I don't think anyone will be able to completely stop the Ramblin' Wreck so I have to say KU's Defense did a great job.

As for the first win over a top 15 team in Memorial Stadium since the 1984 Jayhawks win over then #2 Oklahoma...this was better. I was sitting with my fellow students from McCollum Hall on the east side that day. I remember watching Mike Gottfried's Jayhawks send Oklahoma's starting quarterback off the field due to an unfortunate injury after a great tackle and then totally destroy their offense with true freshman QB Jamielle Hollaway in charge. That was a great victory, but yesterday's was much sweeter.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk KU

justinryman 9 years, 3 months ago

Here is a side note. Kansas beat its first top 15 ranked opponet not played in a bowl game.

Way to Go Hawks. Keep the ride going in the right direction. Learn from it, grow from it and keep fighting.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk

justinryman 9 years, 3 months ago

Sorry about posting the already posted. Got scroll happy and passed by the last few post to put mine in. Again sorry.

Matt Hothan 9 years, 3 months ago

Hawksfan83...Nice post..Just one comment...Thanks to all those great fans that showed up Saturday. We saw one hell of a game...For all you people that say you are fans, but dont show up because of one loss ....Just stay away,,we will get true fans to fill those seats..Besides you are the ones that leave at halftime anyway...ROCK CHALK TO ALL TRUE FANS....

hawksfan83 9 years, 3 months ago

thanks cromatt... and I agree... thanks to all the fans that stayed and showed up and had faith in our jayhawks. lets fill these seats up with jayhawk fans that will stay the whole game and support our football team through the good times and the bad. Part of having a successful team for the present and the future is our fans. If we ever want to advance our football team in the future and get passed being average we need fans to show up and support our team just like we do in basketball. We as fans set the tone and the enviroment before every tipoff and kickoff. Our players feed off of our energy, and the last thing we need is to be negative to a bunch of young kids who give it their all day in and day out in practice and in games while wearing the name KANSAS across the chest. I know if I was a recruit and I showed up to a campus where the fans were negative and wouldn't stay past halftime or even show up to fill out the stadium it would effect how I looked at that school bigtime. Lets show up and support our team while giving the other teams hell. And lets make memorial stadium a place that recruits will be in awe of when they come and visit!

Benjamin Piehler 9 years, 3 months ago

there arent enough "true fans" to fill memorial, unfortunately. its easy to stay in your seat when you are probably going to beat a #15th ranked team.

Randy Bombardier 9 years, 3 months ago

The players were not the only ones that learned something this weekend. We as fans also need to just take it one game at a time. If anyone did not see the game I found this link on utube:

Dan Harris 9 years, 3 months ago

Thanks for the link, some of those plays I forgot about. DP was amazing!

okiedave 9 years, 3 months ago

Everybody seemed to count the GT game as a loss at the beginning of the season. Makes it a sweet victory. I can wait for basketball season to begin, this football team is going to be interesting. I predicted 9-3 for the year. It can happen, but the Big XII is going to be tough.

Dan Harris 9 years, 3 months ago

VERY optimistic but I would love to see it. I think 6-6 is probably what they will end up.

TexasJayhawk78 9 years, 3 months ago

Hey, Drop the Fat deal and Drop the Race deal. Congrats to The Jayhawks and Congrats to the Coach! Great job!

Ludwig Supraphonic 9 years, 3 months ago

Last weeks loss was devastating after months of anticipation. I think it's easy to forget we're watching kids along with their parents in the stands. Nobody wants embarrassing defeats. Sometimes I want to win so much, it's a struggle to enjoy the game. I enjoyed the Tech game more because my expectations were lower and I was thrilled to be competitive. I wish I could attend games in Lawrence. If you have that privilege don't show up to boo kids. I'm sure the Gill family would like to appreciate KU fan support. I'm sure kids on campus visits would like the chance to play at a school with committed fans.

kureader 9 years, 3 months ago

Early odds makers favor Southern Miss by 4 over the Jayhawks. The odds makers have been wrong twice so far this year, maybe this week will make 3 weeks in a row

JayhawkBigXII 9 years, 3 months ago

I must say, a win like this makes the sour grapes from last week a lot easier to swallow...

KSA_21_3503... Regarding the pollsters dropping GT out of the Top 25; Either GT was truly over-rated, or the Kansas loss to NDSU last week brought them down. Either way, they were dropped out. Unfortunately, with a loss to NDSU, anyone Kansas beats is likely to drop down rather than KU going up, at least untill KU gets more solid wins under it's belt. I'm excited about the KU / SM this fiday night on ESPN... A win in a hostile environment on national TV will go a long way for this program and the fans. Rock Chalk!!!