Sunday, September 12, 2010

Matt Tait’s Kansas football notebook

Kansas receiver Daymond Patterson makes a move against the Georgia Tech defense during the first quarter, Saturday, Sept. 11, 2010 at Kivisto Field.

Highlights: KU vs. Georgia Tech

Kansas took down a ranked Georgia Tech team, 28-25, Saturday, September 11, 2010.

Videos

Turner Gill postgame: Georgia Tech

video thumbnail

Kansas head coach Turner Gill addressed the media after defeating Georgia Tech Saturday, September 11, 2010.

Feature

KU shocks No. 15 Georgia Tech, 28-25

Kansas' defense came up with a fourth-down stand in the final minute, helping the Jayhawks to a 28-25 victory over No. 15 Georgia Tech on Saturday at Memorial Stadium.

Biere bounces back

After playing one of the roughest games in the history of the program during last week’s loss to North Dakota State, Kansas University’s junior tight end Tim Biere bounced back in a big way during Saturday’s 28-25 victory against No. 15 Georgia Tech.

On the first play of the second quarter, with the Jayhawks driving, Biere caught a two-yard touchdown pass on a play-action toss from Jordan Webb that gave KU a 14-7 lead.

Of the reception, which Biere showed to the Memorial Stadium crowd with one hand after hauling it in, Biere said: “Last week was the worst game of my life. I don’t even know how to explain how I felt the first couple days. But I moved on, and the team picked me up and had my back. I knew I was going to get another opportunity, and I got a touchdown out of it. It felt great.”

Flagman takes a beating

For the second straight week, a member of the KU team carried the giant Jayhawk flag out of the tunnel and onto the field at the start of the game.

Last week, against North Dakota State, senior wide receiver Johnathan Wilson was the first to break in the new tradition. Saturday, against Georgia Tech, Olaitan Oguntodu led the Jayhawks out, though he did so against a much stiffer wind. Perhaps Oguntodu’s battle against the wind prepared him for what he was about to see on the field.

Oguntodu finished with a career-high seven tackles — fourth on the team — and one that he likely won’t soon forget. Late in the game, the senior safety popped Georgia Tech quarterback Joshua Nesbitt square in the chest. Both players went down, but Oguntodu stayed down and had to be helped off the field.

“It happened right in front of me,” junior linebacker Steven Johnson said. “When that happened, I was just like, ‘Wow, this guy’s out here laying it on the line.’”

Kale-Cat Offense?

KU sophomore Kale Pick played a handful of snaps at quarterback during Saturday’s victory. Pick, the starter against North Dakota State, was benched this week in favor of red-shirt freshman Webb but was still used under center on some rushing plays.

Asked if using Pick was his way of running a Wildcat type of offense, KU coach Turner Gill said: “If you want to use that term, yep. We just want to be able to do some things against the defense with his capabilities to throw or run. Obviously, he’s a quarterback and can do multiple things. He’s not just a running back, where every time he’s in he’s going to run the ball.”

Pick finished 0-for-1 through the air and added 12 rushing yards on three carries.

Patterson penalized for dive

KU junior Daymond Patterson was flagged for an excessive-celebration penalty after diving into the end zone to cap off his 32-yard touchdown reception in the third quarter. Patterson, who said he remembered watching YouTube clips of former KU coach Mark Mangino ripping into former Jayhawk Raimond Pendleton after a similar penalty, said he was not trying to be a showboat.

“I got hit and spun around, and I felt like there was pursuit behind me, and I just dove and went into the end zone,” Patterson said. "They said nobody was close enough, and they threw a flag. The coaches just said, ‘Make sure you’re smart with it,’ and there’s a time and a place to correct what I did. We have plenty of meetings for stuff like that.”

Aldrich on hand for upset

Former Kansas University basketball standout Cole Aldrich was spotted in the press box for part of Saturday’s game.

Comments

Scott Lippoldt 9 years, 6 months ago

I read all the negative posts last week...Fire Gill! The Hawks won't win a single game this year! Nice guys finish last! Bring back Mangino! etc., etc., etc. That after a single game with a brand-new coach, completely different coordinators, a whole new system, and last year's team that was supposed to be the most talented ever at KU and managed lost its last 7 games. ((Great coaching and motivational tactics, huh?!)

Yes, we still will lose some games this year, and next year, and the next... But I, for one, am proud to have Turner Gill and his staff at KU and would never, ever want to go back to the coaching "style" of Mr. Mangino. I am an educator, and I firmly believe that young people of all ages will perform their best when motivated through positive means rather than bullying and belittlling tactics. I also highly respect and admire Gill's no swearing and no drug policy--just think what our world would be like if all institutions, companies, etc., adhered to such high morals.

I will remain a Jayhawk supporter through thick and thin. I am glad that a few posters already have come on to say they were wrong and are willing to give this team and coach a second chance. I encourage all of you who were bashing the Jayhawks in the previous weeks to get on board and to post an apology. You do realize that the players and possibly the coaches do read these comments? And for those of you who are too stubborn (ignorant?) to admit you were wrong, GROW UP!!!

RCJH!!!!!

Jeffery Barrett 9 years, 6 months ago

Thank you. Totally agree with everything you said.

Scott Lippoldt 9 years, 6 months ago

Does anybody else notice that after last week's loss there were hundreds of posts, but now that we win against a team that was ranked 15th and has been to a bowl game 13 straight years, there are just a handful of comments? Are you all truly that negative of people, hoping that our Jayhawk football team will fail like we always have in the past? This board should be absolutely loaded with excited, jubilant posts--that was a great game for our football program yesterday! C'mon, people!!!!

Scott Lippoldt 9 years, 6 months ago

You all do realize that with our former coach we had exactly one great year, a couple of decent years, and many poor years? What was our overall conference record and our record against top 20 teams during the Mangino era? BTW: that one good year was due to the schedule--if we had to play Texas and Oklahoma and if we ended up playing in the Big 12 title game we would have lost 3 games and not been in the Orange Bowl--and we were lucky to have been selected for that game to begin with. We also played the weakest possible opponent in a BCS game.

I'm not saying I wasn't thrilled, excited, and proud about that year--but let's be honest about what really happened. Then the next year, with more talent than ever, we lose our last 7 games?!?!

Give Gill and company a chance. He already has more and better recruits lined up for next year than Mangino ever did. While we really weren't that good before, I truly believe we have the opportunity to have the best run of football in the next few years that KU has ever seen. Who knows, maybe we can become a basketball AND football school. I doubt it, but I sure am willing to be optimistic.

Randy Bombardier 9 years, 6 months ago

It is okay. Some people probably just don't know what to say or think. Which team will show up next week. Which team is going to prevail this season? It was a great win and here's hoping this is the team that represents us the rest of the year.

John Mueller 9 years, 6 months ago

very Happy for Mr. Biere!

Sometimes we forget that they are young kids.

Keep up the good work 86!? (i think)

Dan Harris 9 years, 6 months ago

Agree sprintx and I hate not having names on the back of Jerseys, #1, #15, #49 I don't know who the hell anybody is!

Dyrk Dugan 9 years, 6 months ago

i think this game clearly shows what we're capable of...and with all the new folks in the pecking order on this team, it took a football game to figure it out.

i still say we should have won the first game, do anything, fake punts flea flickers...something!....but now it's all over and done with, so we have to keep looking forward.

Hatch at center, stabilized the line. Webb was very good improvising, finding receivers and throwing accurately when out of the pocket. Sims is a very good back....has a great burst, and has a natural knack of getting by the first guy to try and tackle him.

those three guys basically weren't playing last week. and now with our defense getting to see a big time college team's offense...and we survive...what a confidence boost. and the offense just has to keep working together...nothing like experience.

now how we do come off the high of this week? USM got blown out by the Gamecocks...then easily handled an FCS school ( hey FCS schools are doing pretty well this year.) we have their offensive coordinator from a year ago on staff, and we just played them last year. but Friday nights are not good to us. it will be very interesting....just five days away....Go Jayhawks!

TwistedFish31 9 years, 6 months ago

How's the air up there on that throne mu? KU had lost 8 straight and then upset a Top 15 team. So what if the kids ran out on to the field? You're sounding like a grumpy old man.

truefan 9 years, 6 months ago

I would normally agree that rushing the field is dumb and makes us look weak, but in this case our fans just went from the lowest of lows to the highest of highs. This time last week most of those students who rushed the field were probably in fear of returning to the Terry Allen years. Beating a good Georgia Tech team resulted in a visual sigh of relief from those students who took a verbal beating from their K-State friends all last week. Sometimes it's rewarding to not be a bandwagon fan such as yourself.

I would bet that even if we get another big win at home this year that no one will rush the field. I can't guarantee that Gill will be successful, but this win helps my confidence in him after last week.

Jeffery Barrett 9 years, 6 months ago

Absolutely, truefan. People forget we're talking about football, not basketball. We only rush the court for national championships in basketball. This is a great win over a NATIONALLY RANKED team! I have no problem with the fans rushing the field. I was on the field myself after the 31-28 win over K-State in '04.

Dirk Medema 9 years, 6 months ago

Not a huge fan of rushing the field/court. There is video at www.rochchalktalk.com - "View from the stands" that gives an interesting perspective. It shows at least some of the players rushing to the student section.

Even without the video, it didn't seem as much like the students rushing the field, which usually involves tearing down the goal posts, as it was a matter of joining the players in celebrating.

Maybe the players/coaches can figure out a way for the team to join the fans in celebrating victories. When I was in grad school at Purdue, the team would go over to the horseshoe and sing the alma mater with the band/fans. They've already come up with a better kick-off chant. Looking forward to the team leading the uni to new levels of greatness.

mdfraz 9 years, 6 months ago

I normally also ascribe to the "act-like-you've-been-there-before" mentality, and I don't like rushing the field all that much. That said, I agree, dagger, that the players came right over to the east side and were wanting to thank the fans, especially the students, and celebrate with them. No one went for the posts, which I think shows the intent behind the students' rushing the field. It was an incredibly horrible game last Saturday and a lot of negativity throughout the week, and we had just won a close, hard fought game against a very good opponent. I WANT to see students and fans that have that much passion. Now, I don't think we need to see it again this year, but I think it was fine yesterday.

Dan Harris 9 years, 6 months ago

mulaza- that was actually a good positive post for a change.

steamboat 9 years, 6 months ago

GREAT job defense for the second half play and not letting Nesbitt and there "high scoring offense" in the end zone 'til late in the 4th quarter. I don't think GT coaching staff respected the D as many times as they went for it on 4th down. GREAT job D steppin' up all those times especially there last drive. ROCK CHALK

Eric Williams 9 years, 6 months ago

Great Defense.

Sims played excellent.

And Patterson's celebration. “I got hit and spun around, and I felt like there was pursuit behind me, and I just dove and went into the end zone," this is almost funny. He says it like he's trying to convince himself. He didn't just dive, he did a freakin flip.

GT got excellent field position and there was still 9 minutes left in the game. Patterson is lucky the Defense made a late stop otherwise his "dive" could have been very costly.

Rick Arnoldy 9 years, 6 months ago

If you're going to dive, the tuck and roll is the safest way to avoid injury.

Brian Skelly 9 years, 6 months ago

I love how NOW folks are like "yea, Mangino wasnt that good"... as the about face from 5 minutes before this game was "man, Turner Gill cant coach." Whatever.

This stuff doesnt happen in a vaccum, so my guess is anything here on out SHOULD be predicted. Despite yesterday's upset, any team that loses to a I-AA team will give me pause. I dont know how it cant. Are we probably somewhere between the last two games... probably. What that means, who knows.

It would be nice for Turner Gill to go bowling year one, but I think Keegans "4-8" prediction is still a realistic indicator. Lets hope its flipped to 8-4. Clearly there IS enough talent here to win some games. It's weather or not the coaching staff can get these guys prepared and ready. It's happened one week and it most definitely didnt happen the other. The jury is, and should be still out.

Season-wise however things REALLY arent that different if the tables had been flipped (we blow out a I-AA team and lose to a ranked Ga. Tech team). We still need to be 4-2 after the first half of the schedule to have any shot of going bowling. Im not overly optimistic about that, but im certainly not dooms-daying it either. Lets give Gill and his guys a chance to breath and see what happens.

drum1984 9 years, 6 months ago

People criticizing fans for running out on the field after that victory need to just shut up. It was the first time KU had beaten at a top 15 team at home since 1984...KU had just lost to North Dakota St. at home. NO ONE outside of the Kansas locker room was giving the Jayhawks a chance in this game. Given that scenario, there's nothing about fans going out on the field to celebrate a big victory with the team that makes the team look weak. They weren't supposed to win and they did. No one tore down the goal posts or set fire to cars parked outside the stadium.

kureader 9 years, 6 months ago

Agreed ... it didn't hurt a thing. After the first two weeks, I'm more concerned about too much apathy, not too much celebration. This wasn't a chess match, it was a football game. The students were excited, the players were excited. Leave 'em alone. Let them celebrate ... it wasn't a particularly crazy scene as a previous post said. It was more like a bunch of excited students who wanted to be out on the field, crowd around some players and celebrate a rare win over a Top 25 team. After 8 straight losses, someone's surprised? If the alumni on the west side would show a fraction of the energy as the students, maybe the stadium would be a tougher place for opponents to play.

grandpa 9 years, 6 months ago

drum1984, I agree with every word you posted!!!

yovoy 9 years, 6 months ago

act like you've been there - even if you haven't - but act like you expected to win. after hearing that the goalposts were well-defended, and that the track might take some damage, i'm a little bit better with it. if those that complain about it sound grumpy, then grumpy = classy. i wouldn't have done it, but i understand why those that did it would've.

i'm glad that biere made a catch and that he's feeling better about himself, but i doubt that he'll as happy after he watches tape of his missed blocking assignments. i cheer for tight ends, and i remember d. fine hit a rough patch a couple of years ago. i also remember him coming through it just fine, and i imagine that biere will too. what's good for him is good for our team. let's just get him shored up on assignments and we'll be able to play a little bit better moving forward.

Dirk Medema 9 years, 6 months ago

good post, insights and reasonably constructive.

drum1984 9 years, 6 months ago

I appreciate your response but the majority of the posts I've seen complaining about fans running on the field don't sound grumpy or classy... they sound judgmental, arrogant, and ignorant of the facts and situation. The fans were happy, they celebrated with the team, and they didn't do any significant damage to the stadium. Given what transpired last week I'm sure every one on the team loved seeing their classmates come out on to the field to celebrate this great win. People should stop pretending like this victory was something people shouldn't have been excited about and stop trying to get up on their high horse soap boxes shaking their fists at the damn classless kids on "their" field.

Dirk Medema 9 years, 6 months ago

Matt, any insights into Toben's play? I thought I heard his name once. It is one of the last changes that needs to come up positive to validate the coach's changes.

Matt Tait 9 years, 6 months ago

Opurum did not play. He was held out of the NDSU game because of his inexperience at linebacker. He missed the Georgia Tech game, too, likely because of the sprained ankle he suffered last week during practice.

No word yet on his status for Friday's game at Southern Miss.

okiedave 9 years, 6 months ago

Rather satisfying to see North Dakota St. lose to Un. Northern Iowa on Saturday particularly because the NDSU coach had so many humiliating statements concerning the KU football team. Somehow the cocky have to eat crow at some point, but who knows, maybe his comments spurred KU to action.

gardenjay 9 years, 6 months ago

I saw some empty seats on the replays. If you were within 200 miles of this game, you had the opportunity and really missed a heart-fought battle. It just lifted up my whole week.

In the model where the crowd helps pump up the home team, just think of where this could go. Show them you noticed, that you heard - pack the stands. Now that there is basically no athletic director it really feels like a University effort again.

Go KU. : )

Brad Farha 9 years, 6 months ago

Is it just me, or does mulaza seem like a Mizzou Tiger fan?

He pretends to be a KU fan, but his posts are full of backhanded compliments/comments about the Jayhawks.

The name itself....mulaza....seems to be a play on words. i.e. MU Laser? Even his image has black & gold like a Mizzou Tiger.