Thursday, October 7, 2010

Girlfriend denies Baylor’s LaceDarius Dunn hit her

— The girlfriend of Baylor standout LaceDarius Dunn denied Wednesday that he broke her jaw and said she wants authorities to drop an aggravated-assault charge against him for what she called an accident.

Lacharlesla Edwards, 21, also pleaded with Baylor coach Scott Drew to reinstate the Bears’ leading scorer to the roster.

“He has never struck me during our long-term relationship,” she said in a statement issued through her attorney, Jason Darling.

Waco police have said officers were called to Hillcrest Hospital on Sept. 27 to investigate an assault on Edwards after Dunn punched her in the face during an argument. Authorities said her jaw was broken.

Baylor suspended Dunn indefinitely on Tuesday after the charge was filed against the senior guard.

Edwards, the mother of Dunn’s 3-year-old son, said she wanted to set the record straight.

“What happened on the night of Sept. 27 was an accident, and I went to the hospital for precautionary reasons,” she said. “I never expressed any interest in pressing charges, nor will I in the future press charges on this incident.”

She denied reports that her jaw was broken.

“I am fine and my jaw is not broken as is being reported. My family and I wish to put this situation behind us. Lace and I will continue our relationship and raising our son in a good environment,” she said. “I respectfully request that the District Attorney’s Office dismiss these charges and further request that Baylor University lift their suspension.”

Messages left Wednesday with the McLennan County District Attorney’s Office and Waco police were not returned. Baylor had no comment beyond its Tuesday statement that university officials were “working to gather all of the facts surrounding this incident.”

Dunn was a second-team All-Big 12 pick while averaging 19.6 points and 4.8 rebounds last season when Baylor set a school record with 28 victories and got within one win of making its first NCAA Final Four appearance in 60 years. He needs 451 points to surpass Terry Teagle as Baylor’s career scoring leader, and 518 to pass Texas Tech’s Andre Emmett for the Big 12 record.

Comments

STLJHawk86 3 years, 6 months ago

Regardless of whether she is retracting her statement because she is a victim of domestic violence or whether she is engaged in a perverse form of gold digging, this is a bad situation. As Stravinsky points out the one scenario that can be ruled out is her story that "nothing happened"

ChicagoJHawk 3 years, 6 months ago

He probably hit her and she felt bad for calling the cops. Unfortunately I've had to witness a lot of domestic violence in my family, so I know exactly how this sh*t goes. Women often feel bad or make excuses for why it happened. "Oh he just hit me once and it won't happen again" or "I was out of line that time" It happens all the time. It's stupid, I know, but that's how it goes.

KANSTUCKY 3 years, 6 months ago

She hit me with her jaw. It was a deflection caused by the weight of her purse dramatically decreasing instantaneously.

stravinsky 3 years, 6 months ago

Here's some interesting excerpts from the ESPN story on this...

"According to Waco police, officers were called to Hillcrest Hospital on Sept. 27 to investigate an assault on LaCharlesla Edwards, 21, who had a broken jaw. Police said Edwards and Dunn, identified as her boyfriend, had gotten into an argument and that Dunn punched her in the face. She went to the hospital to seek treatment."

"[Edward's lawayer] Darling acknowledged that Dunn did indeed punch his client in the face one time after "she got up in his face arguing."

Edwards: "I am fine and my jaw is not broken as is being reported. "

Edwards father said she suffered "two minor fractures in her jaw" that were treated with "minor day surgery."

Edwards: "He has never struck me during our long-term relationship. What happened on the night of September 27 was an accident and I went to the hospital for precautionary reasons."

Well guys, which is it? It looks like there's been VERY conflicting stories here coming out of the Edwards camp.

DocBean 3 years, 6 months ago

What if the police already have a statement from her, and/or him that says he hit her, and now she's changing her story? Can they still proceed with the case?

This story reeks of a coverup.

DocBean 3 years, 6 months ago

Police don't arrest a star player if they're not sure it wasn't "an accident." Someone got talked into changing her story.

My guess is Scott Drew pointed out to her that this is going to cost her a lot of money in the long run because of an NBA contract, or he went ahead and paid now.

Good thing for her that she has a kid from him, she'll get some nice cash if they stay together or not. If she's smart she'll be sure to get a paternity test so she's got that in her back pocket when she'll need it. Then again, reading the story my guess is she's not real smart.

dallashawk05 3 years, 6 months ago

Not saying this is what happened... but in a lot of domestic abuse incidents, the woman after being hit, will backtrack and try to protect her boyfriend/spouse.... and say she just fell or something.. then the pattern repeats.... maybe this is the case, maybe not

BobbyMcObvious 3 years, 6 months ago

Actually Solomon my guess would be that she showed up at an emergency room and the staff there thought her injury and story were suspicious. I would guess that major hospitals refer several patients a day to the authorities.

Eybea Opiner 3 years, 6 months ago

What precipitated police involvement anyway? There must have been a call and a commplaint. Police don't just randomly canvas neighborhoods looking for domestic violence. The most logical answer is that he hit her, and either she or someone in the house or neighbors called the police.

News reports yesterday indicated that she was back in Louisiana. Her father was sticking up for Dunn. My money is on cover-up. Whatever the truth of the matter, it will be hard to continue with charges when the "victim" is claiming no foul.

longhawk 3 years, 6 months ago

I don't doubt that the authorities are perfectly capable of jumping to conclusions, but to go so far as to say her jaw was broken seems a pretty big risk, if they are making this up. I don't know the particulars, but I don't know why the authorities would go that far to make up a story, when it would be so easily disproven.

JayViking 3 years, 6 months ago

Better he a black man than a mentally handicapped man in Texas. They get the chair you know.

BobbyMcObvious 3 years, 6 months ago

Right, because it couldn't be about love, however misguided, rather than money.

Or, for that matter, authorities in rural Texas have never jumped to incorrect conclusions about a black man.

KEITHMILES05 3 years, 6 months ago

Nothing like covering your tracks and doing whatever it takes to preserve the potential NBA contract.