Saturday, January 30, 2010

Rivalry reborn: K-State fans have returned to chicken-throwing roots

The Kansas State student section yells at Kansas guard Russell Robinson after Robinson picked up his fifth foul during the second half Wednesday, Jan. 30, 2008 at Bramlage Colliseum.

KU basketball makes trip to Manhattan for physical marquee showdown

Forget being just the fight for the state of Kansas' crown: Saturday's Sunflower Showdown might be the nation's marquee game.

— Kansas State nemesis Wayne Simien dodged some debris tossed from the Bramlage Coliseum stands during pregame Sunflower Showdown warmups on Feb. 9, 2005.

“A rubber chicken on a noose,” recalled former Kansas University power forward Simien, who went on to hang 23 points and 13 rebounds on the Wildcats in the Jayhawks’ 74-65 victory.

It was all in good fun, said the former Leavenworth High standout, who needed no extra incentive to defeat his in-state rival.

In perhaps the greatest three-game stretch against K-State in a single season, Simien as a senior scored 25 points and grabbed 20 rebounds in a 72-65 victory in Allen Fieldhouse and went for 28 points and 14 boards in an 80-67 first-round Big 12 Tournament win in Kemper Arena.

“Being a Kansas kid, knowing what that Sunflower Showdown meant and understanding no matter their record going into the game we’d get their best shot ... it was pretty important to get those bragging rights,” said the 26-year-old Simien, who went 9-0 versus KSU.

He’s a generation removed from a time in which K-State fans — who will again pack Bramlage Coliseum for today’s 6 p.m. battle between the No. 2-ranked Jayhawks and No. 11 Wildcats — pelted KU players with live ammo.

“I remember our 105-year reunion a few years back. I met with Clint Johnson,” Simien said of the former KU guard from Leavenworth, who told stories of dodging bananas and live chickens during player introductions in the mid to late 1970s.”

K-State fans back in the day — and still today — refer to the Jayhawks as Chickenhawks.

“One year, I thought I’d be a good guy and I picked a chicken up and rubbed it,” former KU coach Ted Owens said with a laugh. “I was carrying it back to the bench when I said, ‘What if he has a few droppings?’ I put it back down pretty quickly.”

As far as the bananas?

Owens remembers them being hurled as missiles in just one Sunflower Showdown in his 19 seasons — KU’s 75-63 victory on Feb. 11, 1978, in KSU’s Ahearn Fieldhouse.

“I had gotten a call the week of the game warning me that the stores in Manhattan had sold out of bananas,” Owens said.

Fruit-loving KSU fans apparently were miffed that a handful of hot dogs were tossed at Wildcat forward Curtis Redding in the Jayhawks’ 56-52 victory on Jan. 21 in Allen Fieldhouse.

“I instructed our guys to go shake hands with coach Hartman as they were introduced. I figured no way they’d throw anything at coach Hartman. I think Jack thought, ‘What a nice gesture.’’’

The fans ended up hurling the bananas in the second half.

“There had to be a 20- to 30-minute delay while they cleaned the floor. The TV network was upset about that — think of all that air-time wasted. Coach (John) Wooden was doing color at the game and wasn’t too pleased (at the lack of sportsmanship),” Owens said.

A KSU fan wore a gorilla costume to the game and stalked the KU bench.

“It ticked us off,” former KU power forward Donnie Von Moore said in a 2007 interview with the Journal-World, “because at first we thought it had some racial connotations. They were basically calling us gorillas. Later they said we threw hot dogs so they threw bananas. It’s just food. We beat them, so that’s what mattered.”

The tradition of hurling live chickens on the court was rekindled — KSU security had put a stop to it during the Roy Williams and Bill Self eras — two seasons ago. That’s when a solitary chicken hit the hardwood on Jan. 30, 2008. KSU fans were all fired up as the Michael Beasley-led ’Cats downed KU, 84-75, to end KU’s 24-year dominance in the Little Apple.

“I think it was fuel to the fire once our football team became more successful than K-State’s,” Simien said of KSU fans becoming desperate to end “The Streak.”

The Bill Snyder-led Wildcats, who won 11 consecutive football games over KU, dropped three in a row in the series before bouncing back with a victory over the Jayhawks this past season.

“K-State fans always had football to hang their hat on. But when our team had that great season (2008 Orange Bowl) and had beaten them several times, I think it pushed them over the edge. It turned it into somewhat of a nasty rivalry,” Simien added.

KU’s basketball team recovered from that ’08 loss and prevailed, 85-74, last season in Bramlage.

“All streaks come to an end. It had to happen at some point,” said former KU guard C.B. McGrath, assistant coach at the University of North Carolina who hails from Topeka.

“I would say Missouri was more our rival when I was in school because they beat us. We never lost to K-State. I definitely wanted to beat them being from the state of Kansas, but the national media probably put more on KU-Missouri because we were a better team than K-State back then.”

KU senior Sherron Collins, who remembers dodging the live chicken in ’08, relishes every game in Manhattan.

“It’s always fun there. It’s always tough to win there,” said Collins, 2-1 at Bramlage and 6-1 overall versus the ’Cats., “If we do what we do, we’ll be all right.”

As long as nobody gets clawed by a chicken.

Comments

Michael Auchard 4 years, 10 months ago

Teams fine people for rushing the court; conferences fine teams when their fans rush the court. There's no fee for throwing a dead chicken???

yates33333 4 years, 10 months ago

What did Wayne expect a bunch of farmers would hurl at him? Was it a minor peck from Silo Tech, or another clucker from a bunch of ...... (oh, well, you finish it.)

Kevin Long 4 years, 10 months ago

@yates 33333 what's with the farmer crap? You realize we are KANSAS right? I am from the country too and I love the hawks. So are plenty of people in this state.

I am lucky enough to have the chance to be going today. It should be fun either way, but will be more fun with a Jayhawk victory.

Dale Sprague 4 years, 10 months ago

Anyone out there remember the era of pranks of the 1960's? Didn't KState engineering students sneak into Allen Field House, climb rafters to the center-court suspended scoreboard and rig rolled canvas around it which fell during the game, covering the entire scoreboard?

Or purple dye in the Chi O fountain?

Bob Thompson 4 years, 10 months ago

Yes they did sneak into Allen Field House. When the announcers had to tell the crowd the score (KU was leading) the crowd would yell that much louder.

NH_JHawk 4 years, 10 months ago

Let them do or say whatever they want. Still doesn't change the fact we've won 25 of 26 games in Manhattan. I'd call it an inferiority complex...

FairgroveJayhawk 4 years, 10 months ago

The photo by Krug looks like a picture posted on the net that was actually taken in downtown Manhattan at an animal husbandry "closed-door meeting".

These brothers were yelling at a local leaving with their sister-cousin-momma, I mean cow.

nocaljayhawk 4 years, 10 months ago

Wayne S. is classy and a Christian. I'm neither, so I'll say it: that kind of crap is bushleague and makes KSU and all associated with KSU look like rubes and white trash. Throwing debris on the floor is dangerous protocol, yet KSU staff never seem to be ahead of the curve and unable to prevent this foolish act. I've sent several emails on this topic to Big 12 offices, asking why offending schools aren't punished, and I've never received a single reply.

Oh, a rivalry is not a rivalry unless it's competitive. And pumped-in techno noise is cheesy and an annoyance, and not something that has to be done in arenas where fans understand the game and its momentum and intensity shifts.

Sean Rodger 4 years, 10 months ago

I just can't wait to see them do the "Wabash Cannonball" - nothing like showing Bramlage as a holding area for the mentally challenged.

Idiots.

dylans 4 years, 10 months ago

I live in SW kansas surrounded by wildcat "fans"(I'm out numbered 25 to 1 easily). They are horrible "fans". They talk all kinds of trash for weeks leading up to the game ;then it gets quiet when our boys do the job! It was unbearable down here when we finally lost in Allen Field House West. Let's not let that happen again. We should mop up the floor with these kitty cats, but it'll be a tight game as usual.

Let's take it to the cats so all they talk about is girls basketball (the norm after ksu looses to us).

jayhawk02 4 years, 10 months ago

I agree with Klong in the fact that we shouldn't be bashing farmers. I even farmed for several years but I don't bash farmers in order to belittle KSU. Second, I enjoy listening to the Wabash Cannonball...........does that make me a bad person :)

dylans 4 years, 10 months ago

I am a crop consultant, my father is a farmer/ rancher. And we are KU fans. The culture and class of Kansas University is one major selling point. Keep it classy, Lawrence.

HoHoHo 4 years, 10 months ago

Santa here,Now that is sportmanship, I think the only team worse is MU. But what do you expect from a bunch of redneck purple pussies from the farm..They aren't very smart, They prove it on a regular basis...REMEMBER the KSU fan that wasn't smart enough to not stand while going under a bridge...

KU 4 years, 10 months ago

Come on, people. The low-class comments about farmers and people from small towns is an embarrassment to the University of Kansas. As dylans says: "Keep it classy, Lawrence."

There's no need to make disparaging remarks about someone's background. Just point to the scoreboard and point to KU's own great tradition. That's more than enough to turn KSU fans inside out.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

JayhawkCasey 4 years, 10 months ago

The chickens are not dead. They drug them so they can sneak them in and throw them on the court when they wake up.

Adam Evans 4 years, 10 months ago

Ya know, if you cut off the whiskers of a cat they lose all balance and start walking into walls. Maybe Pullen needs a shave...

cklarock 4 years, 10 months ago

Dylans said: " They talk all kinds of trash for weeks leading up to the game; then it gets quiet when our boys do the job!"

That is SO K-State. Ready, fire, aim!

slowplay 4 years, 10 months ago

Hey, it's going to be fun, but let's get serious, this game (win or lose) has very little significance in the grand scheme. If KSU wins, they will rush the court and pretend they are National champs. KU goes home and focuses on the Final Four. KU is the better team. Play 10 games and KU wins 8. Let KSU have their time in the sun, but the sun always shines in Lawrence and KU's expectations are always the same, a National championship while KSU will settle for a win at home (they are going to slaughtered in Allen). Average teams can win at home i.e. S. Carolina vs KU but you will not see them in the championship run.

Adam Evans 4 years, 10 months ago

Actually this game has very large significance. This game could make the difference in a very tight Big 12. This is a chance for KU to separate themselves from the rest of the pack. Right now, many people are saying that after the Kentucky loss, the new #1 should be Syracuse or Villanova. This will win will make sure it goes back to KU. And as a side note....if KSU wins, I don't believe that they will rush the court. The didn't when they beat Texas at home. Rushing the court is very bush-league. That's why KU never does it. KSU is rising above that.

slowplay 4 years, 10 months ago

Who cares about being number#1 in January? Is the Big 12 title more important than a national title? KU already has a trunk full of Big 12 banners. KU is the better team. I personally think, all factors considered, that if KU is not in the Final Four, the season will be a disappointment. KSU is just a bump in the road.

UncleMiltyN 4 years, 10 months ago

KUguy......"I don't believe that they will rush the court. The didn't when they beat Texas at home. Rushing the court is very bush-league."

It all goes out the window when it comes to this game.

Hey, I happened to be at Last Chance in Haggieville a few years ago after we lost to KState in football. We stunk at that time and they were in the middle of the first Snyder era. They had rushed the field to tear down their own goal post and carry it to the "Outback" area behind Rusty's.

If you're a ranked team who just beat the number 11 team in the Big 12, do you tear down your own goal post after trouncing them?

fansincewilt 4 years, 10 months ago

It's interesting to hear fans from a farming area belittle farmers. Agriculture has been the dominant industry in the Lawrence area for hundreds of years.I would guess that there are as many farmers in the Lawrence area as there are in the Manhattan area. Maybe not but they are here. When you speak of Kansas you speak of farmers. The great state of Kansas is involved in feeding our world. We Jayhawk fans love the farmers of Kansas.

Woody Cragg 4 years, 10 months ago

Yea, but not all farmers throw chickens at people after they've slammed their heads in the drawer assaulting them. If rushing the court is bush stuff, then what is Clemente, also Martin when they can't control themselves in the heat of competition? Psycho? Maybe we should call it psycho tech. Perhaps "Deliverance JC" would be better. RCJH!

SonnieJHawk 4 years, 10 months ago

Rock Chalk Jayhawk! Beat the Cats in the Rhombus of Hell!! That's right, isn't it? Yea, that sounds right.

Joe Joseph 4 years, 10 months ago

Kstate fans are doing nothing to shed the farmer/hick stereotype by throwing livestock.

MikeOlmstead 4 years, 10 months ago

absolutely horribly written article gar bear

blowhard 4 years, 10 months ago

Going the "age game"...I graduated KU 1978...I attended the "banana" game at Ahearn Field House...Upon the PA announcer's voice: "Here's the starting lineup for our visitors from Lawrence, KS"...A tsunami of bananas were airborne...Donnie Von Moore, Darnell Valentine, Wilmore Fowler, Clint Johnson, John Douglas, Ken Koenigs, Paul Mokeski and Milt Gibson played great in as hostile a venue imaginable...the best part was we beat their a.. and shut the place up...it was priceless!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gchawk 4 years, 10 months ago

To steal a line from the outspoken former Texas football coach Darrell Royal when asked about the rivalry between Texas and Oklahoma, which describes KU vs. K-State perfectly: "I don't want to say they have an inferiority complex, they're just inferior!". DYLANS, I too live in SW Kansas and have friends and family members who attended KSU and it's amazing how their mindset is when playing us, they sometimes know how to win, they just don't know how to be winners. Rock Chalk, let's kick some cat.

Joseph Kuebel 4 years, 10 months ago

(CAPS!) OH THOSE FRUITY KSTATE FANS! (CAPS!)

FairgroveJayhawk 4 years, 10 months ago

This could develop into a great rivalry again if KSU could maintain their level of play. I expected Missouri to elevate their game before KSU. These stories about old rivalry events are pretty entertaining!

Joseph Kuebel 4 years, 10 months ago

They do wear cowboy hats to the bars in Aggieville....Enough said!

ParisHawk 4 years, 10 months ago

slowplay,

I agree that being #1 is unimportant, but I disagree totally that the Big 12 Championship is meaningless. What's the fun of watching 34 exhibition games?

Tell you what, I'll just stop reading your posts until March, since before then they don't count. You like that? What message are you sending to players and other fans that November to February is too long to care?

The day our coach agrees with you I'll stop caring too.

Joseph Kuebel 4 years, 10 months ago

Big deal, Kansas has farms, so does California, as they lead the U.S. in agriculture...But it doesn't mean that cowboy hats need to be worn, ever. A farmer is different than a cowboy, or hillbilly kstate fan.

Mike Kendall 4 years, 10 months ago

Saw ESPN's College Game Day, from the Octagon of Doom---yea, it is a stop sign--HA, HA, HA--8,000 strong for the show. It will be a loud and wild game tonight. All the experts wearing purple ties except for Jay Bilas. Of course, Digger Phelps, wearing a purple tie with his purple highlighter in hand----UUHH!!!!!!! All of them are picking KU to win, except for Digger Phelps and our own Jesse Newell---way to go, Jesse!!!!!! Digger's claim to fame was that he never lost in AFH.

They had an interview with Frank Martin, and, although he had some good things to say, I noticed he is completely different when he is not on the sidelines coaching. Very interesting! Good Luck, Jayhawks! Beat the Kitty Kats for the 21st time in 22 games, or whatever it is!!!!!

Ben Kane 4 years, 10 months ago

my brother and i are in an argument I need some info to prove a point. can anyone tell me when was the last time we stormed the court at home?

gchawk 4 years, 10 months ago

jayhawkinmullen: That was uncalled for, talk about classless.

DrPeterVenkman 4 years, 10 months ago

Follow the antics of the K-State fans tonight at the Fan's Voice Awards Live Blog (www.fansvoiceawards.wordpress.com) where the Wildcat faithful are featured today. Everything that they do that is hilarious and in support of the team will be documented and ultimately graded against other sports fans from around the country.

Ryan Mullen 4 years, 10 months ago

Farmers are the reason we are in a recession right now. I can't wait until all the farmers are gone.

Mike Kendall 4 years, 10 months ago

Chuck--

I don't believe the fans have ever rushed the floor at AFH and I have been watching since 1974. Anything before 1974, I would need the help from Jayhawk Nation.

Mike Kendall 4 years, 10 months ago

Chuck---

Just curious--if you are into cabinets, what's your brother do? You don't have to answer, if you don't want to. BTW, always enjoy your posts. Kentucky feeling a little blue in Lexington? They got a tough game today against the former Jayhawk assistant coach, Kevin Stallings, and Vandy!

Eric Schneider 4 years, 10 months ago

Having been to a couple of games at Bramlage, I have to say this. They may be passionate, but they might just be the least knowledgeable fans in the country. They were literally screaming for traveling on every possession. They must have thought we should be called for false start. It was pathetic. But then what do you expect from a school where they still get confused over that Animal Husbandry class.

Mike Kendall 4 years, 10 months ago

Hey, somebody help me out----why was the Arkansas at Mississippi game postponed today? Was it due to weather or another reason? Just wondering!

gchawk 4 years, 10 months ago

jayhawkinmullen: You have to be joking. What, pray-tell, do you do for a living?

Ryan Mullen 4 years, 10 months ago

gchawk, Yes I am kidding, I love Farmers.

jayhawk02 4 years, 10 months ago

jayhawkinmullen - I hope you don't choke the next time you are eating something produced by a farmer or rancher. Maybe you'd better move to the coast and live off fish. PLEASE MOVE so you can stop embarassing Jayhawk Nation.

bradynsdad 4 years, 10 months ago

i think the game was cancelled because absolutely noone cares about sec basketball.

Mike Kendall 4 years, 10 months ago

Bradynsdad---I am glad I don't take you seriously!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's a more on topic question for the hour---who are the TV announcers for tonight's game? The game is on ESPN. Everyone for Bob Knight and Brent Musberger, raise your hand! Bob Knight did the Texas/K-State on Jan. 18th.

Ryan Mullen 4 years, 10 months ago

jayhawk02,

Thank you for your kind words of inspiration. I think I can go one more day because of you.

jhox 4 years, 10 months ago

I feel like I have to take a little credit, or blame, for the hot dog / banana incidents in 1978. I had camped out the night before the game in Lawrence with a group of friends, and while waiting in the afternoon for the North doors to open, we were talking about what a hot dog Curtis Redding was, and I commented how it might be funny if we had hot dogs to throw at him when he was announced before the game. An hour or two later someone showed up with several packets of hot dogs which ended up in the hands of we students sitting behind the KU bench. The plan was to wait until Redding was announced, but Redding and Rolando Blackman were warming up in front of the KU bench before the game, and throwing passes to each other. Redding threw a pass behind his back, or did something like that, which some of the students perceived as a hot dog pass, and it instantly started raining hot dogs at his feet. The best part was Blackman's reaction. He nearly fell to the floor laughing.

I also attended the game in Manhattan that year. It was in old Ahern Fieldhouse, and it is still the loudest sporting event I've ever attended. I recall the KSU athletic department getting wind of the bananas, and they asked KSU's star guard, Mike Evans to get on the PA system and appeal to the fans to not throw anything on the court, indicating it could make the floor slick and result in the injury of a player. Maybe I'm dreaming this, but I don't think so...I believe Evans slipped near mid court early in the second half and strained his back, and missed the rest of the game.

My other memory is that I went to that game with a friend who was a Senior at KU (I was a freshman.) We beat them by maybe 18 or 20, and he told me not to get used to that, and that we rarely beat them in Manhattan. I think we've lost there 2 or 3 times since 1978. We've owned them there since.

Rock Chalk...let's keep our ownership over them going tonight.

Rick Arnoldy 4 years, 10 months ago

The banana incident was indeed racist. There were people in the crowd holding signs that said "Ted's Trained Apes".

As to the farmer comments, I farmed for the first 30 years of my life outside a small town of 350 people. It's an honorable professional with people more trustworthy and genuine than you'll ever see in the corporate world.

FairgroveJayhawk 4 years, 10 months ago

bradynsdad - I'm with you on the sec. Hey what did you come up with regarding tickets? My post the other day regarding the subject could have been perceived as negative, as my humor can be either dry, or very dry. If offense was taken, I appologize, none was meant. Hope you found tickets. It's a great experience.

Ben Kane 4 years, 10 months ago

i'm not into cabinets...i'm a computer dork who works at a cabinet manufacturer. my brother (12 years younger) is a freshman in college...sadly, not at KU.

milwaukeeJAYHAWK 4 years, 10 months ago

EMAWJ (Every Manhattanite A Wannabe Jayhawk)

jhox 4 years, 10 months ago

The farmer vs non-farmer thing is a little silly. I'm confident everyone on here is greatful for the products farmers and ranchers provide us. I especially appreciate their hard work. I helped my farm friends haul hay for several years, and occassionally do other chores, and I can attest there is nothing easy about that.

I grew up in a small town, and the kids who grew up on the farms were by and large KSU fans, and the kids who grew up in town tended to be KU fans. That's just a fact. It is the rivalry that generates comments about the "farmers", and the "snobs". I'm sure nobody intended those comments to be personal. At least I would hope not. I give credit to any fan of KU, who grew up on a farm, for having been enlightened enough to become a Jayhawk fan rather than a KSU fan.

gatorhawk45 4 years, 10 months ago

I've been over to the "barn" for a few victories. I just can't stop laughing about the similarity between the Mildcat "raaawr" over the PA system every time they shoot a big shot and the low/flow high-efficiency toilets flushing in the ladies room. I'm just sayin'. They might have recorded that soundbite in the crapper. Go Hawks! (kudos to KSU for having green toilets though)

Mike Kendall 4 years, 10 months ago

jhox----The "cold case" is now solved----true confession!!!! Seriously, I was at the game in Lawrence and saw the game in Manhattan (at Ahern) on TV, that year. The game at Ahern, I believe, is where the bananas rubbed into the synthetic surface, which made it worse, which delayed the game longer. I remember the announcers for the game whining and bitchin' because of the delay. And the heat rolled down the hill to the producers of the game and administrations of both schools.

ohioburg-----No way, do I take farmers for granted. I used to date a young lady whose father and mother both farmed in McDonald, Kansas--way up in Northwest Kansas. She brought me back for a weekend at their house and talk about hard work---Wow---I wouldn't want to be a farmer but some folks don't realize how tough farming can be. Enough said.

Looks like Kentucky is cruising over Vandy--what a bummer. Syracuse won by two at DePaul--too bad the 'Cuse couldn't have lost that game.

Jayhawk Nation--it's getting closer to the OCTAGON OF DOOM time---but it will be Cole Aldrich who will lower the PROVERBIAL BOOM on the Kitty Kats!!! Go Jayhawks! Win Jayhawks!

bradynsdad 4 years, 10 months ago

fairgrove jayhawk thank you and no offense was taken by your post. i would hope that noone would ever get upset over some fun posts. in regards to tickets i am proud to say that the whole time my wife has been looking for tickets and she bought them. i know its silly to some but next to her telling me we were having a child that was one of the greatest things i ever heard from her. thank you its nice to talk to people on here and not just here negative comments about our team. by the way did anyone else see lebron james in kentucky gear, looks like the bandwagon is picking up speed.

Ryan Mullen 4 years, 10 months ago

Farming used to be tough now it's just machines doing the work.

gchawk 4 years, 10 months ago

jayhawkinmullen: You just keep digging a little deeper, you kind of redeemed yourself with your third to last post, but you just won't let this "farming thing " go. By chance did you have a bad experience with a manure spreader? Concerning your last post, name one manufacturing or other profession, with the exception of art, that hasn't changed considerably in the past 30 years or so with the advent of technology. With that said, it's almost game time, let's kick some cat butt. Baylor just beat Texas!!!!

Woody Cragg 4 years, 10 months ago

But it's still amazing how many people let a chunk of metal outsmart 'em. City & rural folk both. Reap what you sow brother.

Ryan Mullen 4 years, 10 months ago

Don't get me wrong farming is still one of if not the toughest jobs in the world. The farming industry is just not as hard as it used to be say 20 years ago let alone 100-200 year ago. Go farmers and Jayhawks beat those stupid farmers that are K-State fans.

gchawk 4 years, 10 months ago

jayhawkinmullen: There you go, redeeming yourself again, good job. RCJHGKU

Ryan Mullen 4 years, 10 months ago

gchawk,

Thanks bro, go farmers of America.

Martin Rosenblum 4 years, 10 months ago

What is the primary occupation in Mullen, Nebraska anyway?

If it wasn't for farmers, jayhawkinmullen probably wouldn't have had a date for his prom or wouldn't have ever lost his virginity, if he actually has. You know, pigs, sheep, goats etc.

Couldn't help myself man. You just are a magnet for this stuff.

"I don't care who you are, that was funny" -LCableGuy

Kent Wells 4 years, 10 months ago

And God bless them pygmy children down there in New Guinea. Amen.

Kent Wells 4 years, 10 months ago

Ant the title of this article should be Rivalry: Buried. I wouldn't say it is reborn until they go .500 against us for at least 6 years...

s6u6r6f 4 years, 10 months ago

Speaking of pranks, I can recall...or can I?...when back in the early 70s a bunch of stoners from Oliver Hall passed out free hits of "brown acid" in Aggieville. Exlax-brand brown acid. Many a bummin' mildcat had a crappy time during that game. A smiling faced iconic symbol should be placed here.

FairgroveJayhawk 4 years, 9 months ago

bradynsdad- I'm glad to hear it. And if I could offer some advice for the game; if you can, show up as soon as the doors open. There's a lot of cool stuff that goes on in pregame warm up with the players, announcers, band etc. You guys will have a great time.