Saturday, January 9, 2010

Keegan

Mayhem captured on video

Kansas basketball practice hadn’t started yet Tuesday afternoon, so it was time to have a little fun. Generally speaking, men need to turn just about everything into a competition to enjoy themselves.

For example, KU preseason All-American Cole Aldrich, administrative assistant Brennan Bechard, student video coordinator Douglas Compton and manager Reid Elsen were hanging out on the floor when Aldrich said he thought he could be the first one to make a half-court shot.

After an estimated five rounds of misses, Aldrich, an under-handed half-court tosser, made one.

“Cole’s all happy because he thinks he had won, but everyone gets a chance to tie,” said Bechard, a former Lawrence High basketball player and KU walk-on. “I went second, and when I made it, that was funny because that was two guys, and that was a pretty crazy deal.”

It was about to get a lot crazier. Compton, a freshman who played at Free State High, went next.

“I turned to C.J. (Henry) and said, ‘I’ve got to make this one. I’ve got to make it somehow.’ Then I made it and everyone was in shock,” Compton said. “Cheddar (Bill Cowgill), the trainer, was going crazy. (Walk-on) Jordan Juenemann was going crazy. Jeff Forbes (who films practices) was up there pumping his fist, pointing to his camera to let us know he had it on tape.”

Three in a row. Unbelievable. They weren’t done. Elsen, a junior who was in the Bishop Carroll High basketball program in Wichita for three years, had a chance to extend the streak.

“We do it quite a bit,” Elsen said of the competition. “We all just shoot to see who can make one first. We’ve never made two in a row that I can remember.”

Now Elsen would try to make it four in a row.

“I was the last one,” Elsen said. “It was all on me.”

Elsen didn’t disappoint. Four in a row it was. Fish story?

Forbes, who recently finished his masters in sports administration and is working on a doctorate, filmed it. Something made him hit the record button on the camera. He then put it up on Youtube.com, where it can be accessed by typing, “mid-court mayhem Cole Aldrich”.

“I just thought it looked like a good opportunity,” Forbes said. “I haven’t filmed them doing that before, but I’m going to from now on.”

None of the shots hit the backboard. Aldrich was the only one to toss his one-handed, under-handed. The other three used a more conventional style, getting a running start of two or three steps then lofting a shot. In a real game, traveling would have been called on those three.

“NBA, no,” Compton corrected. “College, yes.”

This farfetched, four-in-a-row feat is bound to make national news somewhere, some day.

“SportsCenter has their little clips of stuff like that happening,” Bechard said. “It’d be cool to see it on there.”

Said Aldrich: “I’ve been out there for a half hour and not even made one. Or I’ll get out there and hit the first one. It’s tough. It’s really tough. To get four in a row from four different people is quite pretty cool. That’s why we went crazy when we did it.”

There was no college football referee there to see them celebrating, so no flag was thrown.

YouTube

Mid-Court Mayhem with Cole Aldrich & Kansas Basketball

KU center Cole Aldrich and friends make a series of half-court heaves before practice. Filmed by Jeff Forbes.

Comments

jayhawk15 7 years, 9 months ago

That was so sweet, here is the actual link to the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1o2lO...! I found another video of Cole making a half court shot, its pretty cool too http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNnrgs....

nwjhawk 7 years, 9 months ago

Noooooo waay. Those guys need to go out and buy a lottery ticket even if Cole already has his after this season.

Loved the candid video. Good to see the guys having some fun.

CaramelMacchMan 7 years, 9 months ago

This is crazy!! Dont we have second biggest GatorAid contract after Florida?

I say lets make a G ad.

KU1992 7 years, 9 months ago

Big Lou is fairly high up in the company at Gatorade. I think he could get something worked out.

tennesseest 7 years, 9 months ago

Haha, Tyshawn thinks that was pretty G.

/obligatory

Martin Rosenblum 7 years, 9 months ago

I'll own this one :

"KANSAS - BY A LONG SHOT!!!"

by Memhawk on the LJW message board 1/9/10

b_asinbeer 7 years, 9 months ago

Douglas Compton...I'm sure he's a nice kid, but his dad's a slimeball. He's screwed so many people of Lawrence over enough to last quite a few lifetimes(residential and commercial).

Back to topic...4 in a row is amazing.

eastTXjayhawk 7 years, 9 months ago

i liked it. good saturday morning stuff.

maybe we can get 4 beer avatars in a row as well...

Ron Prichard 7 years, 9 months ago

Absolutely amazing. I wonder if they tried for five in a row and missed? Gotta love the "behind the scenes" look.

b_asinbeer: Regardless of your feelings for Compton's dad, so not cool.

jaybate: What's your problem? It might not be the best written article, but its fun and I'm glad it was posted. I'm pretty sure it wasn't meant to be a pulitzer winning piece. Maybe you could provide a six-part submission on an imaginary conversation with Cole about how this shot and video has changed his life forever. That's always thrilling reading.

eastTX: Sorry to ruin the avatar string. Although if I picked a beer avatar, it would have to be Shiner. Gotta love cheap TX beer.

milehighhawk 7 years, 9 months ago

Jaybate: What are you talking about?

It's a double-bind for Keegs on a story like this. If he doesn't report it, he's out of touch. If he does report it, he gets accused of covering something insignificant.

Only other problem I could see is with the way it's written, in which case I remind you of prudent inhabitants of glass houses.

b_asinbeer 7 years, 9 months ago

raprichard...Note that I didn't knock on Doug Jr. I don't know him. So, I can't really talk bad about him. For all I know, he's a good guy.

However, his dad is someone I do know. He's fair game and truly is a d-bag.

KUFan90 7 years, 9 months ago

Why didn't CJ attempt a 5th? Too bad.

Funny to see the comments on youtube insisting this was faked...

KU 7 years, 9 months ago

That was pretty amazing!

What are the odds of hitting 4 halfcourt shots in a row?! Do you think the chances of a player hitting one half court shot are 1 in 25? Does that sound reasonable? If so, I think the chances of making 4 in a row would be something like:

1/25 x 1/25 x 1/25 x 1/25 = 1/390,625

It's been a long time since I took a statistics class, but I think my math is correct. The only variable would be the chances of hitting one half court shot, right?

Ben Kane 7 years, 9 months ago

pretty entertaining way to start my saturday...

to quote major league (sort of)... Nice shot, don't ever do it again!

ParisHawk 7 years, 9 months ago

KUFan90,

p>si.com, in its "extra clicks" section, says :

"Real Or Fake? Check out some members of the Kansas Jayhawks hitting four consecutive half-court shots during a recent practice."

I for one was glad to read about it here.

Matt Kenton 7 years, 9 months ago

Seeing Cole belt out his yell, in a non-game, even non-practice setting around friends makes me wonder if he does it all the time in his everyday life...

Finishing a test- "AAAAGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!"

Ties his shoes- "AAAGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!"

Finishing a meal, sending a text, in bed with a girl....

KU 7 years, 9 months ago

(continued) Of course, the chances of a particular player hitting 1 half court shot vary, depending on the ability of the player. I just ballparked the "average" player in this group might hit one in 25.

aerohawk 7 years, 9 months ago

b_asinbeer,

I think the comments about a team members father are irrelevant to the basketball conversation. Based on what you have written so far the only conclusion you could possibly want people to draw is that the kid must be as bad as the father, even though you state your sure he's a nice kid. I don't know any one of consequence in lawrence, so I can't say your wrong about his dad (you may be right). But unless you have information that ties his father's supposed bad behavior to KU basketball it is irrelevant. For example, do you have information that shows he paid for his son to be on the team (more than he donates to williams fund)?

Michael Auchard 7 years, 9 months ago

My buddy in Seattle says this did indeed make national news. He said he saw the clip on a local TV station really late at night.

MrPilot 7 years, 9 months ago

Now Cole doesn't have any excuse not to toss up a 3 at least once before the season is out! I want to see the big man sink one.

milwaukeeJAYHAWK 7 years, 9 months ago

that was awesome. you're wrong Jaybate. Great article Keegan!

Mike Kendall 7 years, 9 months ago

Unbelievable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Looks like the guys will go into the Tennessee game loose as a goose.

b_asinbeer 7 years, 9 months ago

aerohawk...nowhere do I state that the kid is bad. Show me an example in my post.

Then again, it doesn't hurt that Doug Compton and Bill Self are business partners. Unless you're younger than 25 and never had a "career", you should know the old saying of "It's not what you know, it's who you know". Having said that, I haven't implied anything prior to this stating otherwise. You're the one that started it.

justinryman 7 years, 9 months ago

Wow a 7 footer shooting from his waist. What an easy way to get blocked.

Just kidding folks. Great footage!!!! I loved practice back in the days and the side bets afterwards with team mates and coaches, takes the edge off after a tough day. Looks like the fella's were having a good time and some good laughs.

Good luck Sunday!!!

Rock Chalk form Omaha

Martin Rosenblum 7 years, 9 months ago

If we're up by 30 Sunday I think HCBS should give the green light for Cole to get the ball on an outlet and let one fly from half court. Even if he doesn't make it during a game, it would still be a great motivational tool. If he makes it, he would be an instant celebrity!

John Randall 7 years, 9 months ago

KU -- your approach to figuring probabilities for compound events is correct.

In an email this morning to friends and family, I wrote (supposing each guy had a 1-in-50 chance) that the 4 straight would happen once in 6.25 million tries.

That is assuming no one had already missed. After the first one was made, (at 1/50 odds), three more would be once in 125,000.

I concluded with "40-0 sounds farfetched ... but, then again, ... "

Suppose our Jayhawks are favored at, say 8-1 in each game but @Tx which is 50-50. To call (before the season) undefeated would be one in a number with 39 digits. Even with 14 in the bag, winning the next 26 would be one out of a 24 digit number.

I'm sure most will agree that in many of the games left, our odds are not as high as eight of nine, so realistically, pulling it off would be like squaring (not doubling, but squaring) the national debt. There aren't that many grains of sand on all the beaches on Earth.

John Randall 7 years, 9 months ago

b_asinbeer --

Personal attacks from the security of anonymity simply display your own insecurity and cowardice.

To do it on a board like this compounds things by showing utter disregard for the courtesy posters here owe to each other.

b_asinbeer 7 years, 9 months ago

KU62--

Personal attacks on whom?

If you're talking about compton, I already met doug compton sr. many times (he was my landlord[first management], as well as the landlord of a couple of my other friends[commercial and residential]). I already told him and his lawyer what I thought of them and their business practices face to face. Trust me, nothing anonymous here.

Ryan Mullen 7 years, 9 months ago

Doug compton sr is the man screwing people over is the best. I hope he runs for Governor I would vote for him. Thanks for the info b_asinbeer.

P.S where you drunk while you where writing these comments.

b_asinbeer 7 years, 9 months ago

No, but I can see from your spelling and lack of punctuation that you are.

eastTXjayhawk 7 years, 9 months ago

Shiner is good stuff, they've come out with several different varieties in bottles recently. On NYE @ the Flying Saucer in Houston I had Shiner Frost on tap, which was a Dortmunder style and very good.

I also had the privelage of meeting several celebrating Midshipmen, whom I complemented on their a$$ whooping of MU in the Texas Bowl.

However, if you really want to experience cheap Texas beer, Lone Star or Pearl Light are the stars of the show. I remember enjoying several 80 cent Pearl longnecks at the Dixie Chicken in College Station.

aerohawk 7 years, 9 months ago

b_asinbeer,

You must not have read the second sentence in my post. I give you credit for saying that he is a nice kid, but implying otherwise. If you didn't want people to think you were saying the kid was as bad as the father, please explain how your character attack on the father is relevant to KU basketball. I can understand you might be frustrated about a contract dispute with the guy, but again how is your rental contract relevant to KU hoops? Saying "he is a business partner of HCBS" doens't explain anything. If you are trying to assert something other than the coach has money invested with someone who is trying to make a profit please expand on the argument.

Again, remember I am not saying you are wrong about the guy (I have no interest on either side of the argument). I just don't want this to be a place where you vent about your contract dispute with Mr. Compton. If the problems you have with the guy are so egregious that they will get the 2010 NCAA championship vacated, then I care.

Ryan Mullen 7 years, 9 months ago

Hey drunk beer guy, what is wrong with this sentence. If you're talking about compton, I already met doug compton sr. many times (he was my landlord[first management], as well as the landlord of a couple of my other friends[commercial and residential]). I can name at least 4 things, so please check your own posts before you criticize others dummy.

b_asinbeer 7 years, 9 months ago

@aerohawk...it's not relevant to KU basketball at all. Just pointing out that his father is a slimeball.

My dispute with him was settled after my lawyer sent him a letter threatening to go to court. Thanks for your concern though. :)

@mullen...are you referring to me or eastTX? He's the one with the beer references.

rockchalkjayhawk4ku11 7 years, 9 months ago

b_asinbeer:

I agree with you. I've heard too many stories about Mr. Compton. It's not if he's gonna screw you, it's when.

Tuskin 7 years, 9 months ago

KU62: Your conclusion about the 39 digit number is based on us having a 1-in-9 chance of winning each one of those 39 games, not an 8-in-9 chance. With the 8-in-9 chance for the 39 games, we'd have a 0.5% chance of going undefeated.

However, no one would argue that the 8-in-9 chance would apply to several conference games or to most of the tourney games...

kubeav 7 years, 9 months ago

Good things happen to good team, let's just keep it going for a few more months.

Kent Wells 7 years, 9 months ago

Mmmmm. Lots of beer avatars. Then some BBQ. Its early, but I know what is for lunch today. Sorry, I only bring music, but great music to drink beer and eat BBQ (even if they are memhawk style ribs!)

On a serious note, I hope they never need a 1/2 court shot this year.

RCJHKU

Benjamin Piehler 7 years, 9 months ago

tell me this ended up on sportcenter or something

Martin Rosenblum 7 years, 9 months ago

Wells -

Amen to the "not NEEDING a 1/2 court shot"!

MMMMMM.....BBQ! Me want pork! Pork, good! Beef, bad!

Ron Prichard 7 years, 9 months ago

eastTX...I'm a huge fan of just plain old Shiner Bock. Some of their combinations are a little different. I don't know if you have seen it in your part of the country, but on a recent trip to San Antonio, I was introduced to their Smokehouse beer. They literally put liquid smoke in the beer. Not exactly my favorite. I do give them props on originality. Lone Star is fine, but I'll stay away from Pearl Light. Reminds me of a buddy of mine from Chicago that absolutely loved Little Kings. Nasty, nasty stuff. Besides, why would you want to shrink a bottle of beer? Maybe if it had been Giant Kings...

Ron Prichard 7 years, 9 months ago

eastTX...ignore the first part of my comment. Of course they have all the flavors of Shiner in Houston. My bad.

KUbsee69 7 years, 9 months ago

There was a link to this video on espn.com ... Friday, I think it was.

Tim Orel 7 years, 9 months ago

Tuskin - it's been a LOT of years since Stats, but since sports statistics were the only thing that made it other than excruciatingly painful, I ask you to check your math one more time. By my calculations, with an 8 in 9 chance of winning each remaining game (including Texas, and a total of 26 more), we'd have a 5 percent chance of being undefeated (not 0.5). However, I fully concur that KU doesn't have an 8 in 9 chance on all the remaining games, so it's still a remote possibility. I wonder what the Vegas odds are, though.

KU 7 years, 9 months ago

It's simple math now. KU has a zero percent chance of going undefeated.

John Randall 7 years, 9 months ago

Tuskin: Thanks for catching my error. Nice to know someone out there cares enough about accuracy to check things out themselves! I started out to calculate the complementary event (NOT winning out), but bolluxed that somewhere along the way. Working the 8-1 premise through again (39 times and 0.5 once), I get 0.005 instead of your 0.0005 or .05%. This number (once every couple of centuries) for a team so heavily favored is more reasonable.

You may have surmised from my screen name that its been 50+ years since my last statistics class ... and over 20 since I used it much.

Thanks, again. Keep us old Phogeys on our toes.

KU: did you do that on a calculator or use a spreadsheet? My slide rule has gone off and hidden in the bottom of some drawer.

John Randall 7 years, 9 months ago

b_asinbeer: anonymity aside, the discourtesy of using this board for a personal vendetta is inconsiderate to the point of childishness. Please, take it somewhere else. Please also note -- I'm speaking here of your actions, not of you personally. I don't know you, but what you're doing rankles me (among others, apparently).

coloradojayhawk: Now we are down to arithmetic, having agreed on the statistical approach.
I don't want to quibble about an order of magnitude or two, but I trust my TI-30SLR+ on this . . . half a percent, not 5% or .05%. The 8/9 thirty-nine times is just over 1% . . . times the 1/2 once, comes out to 0.005... I'm asserting this despite the twenty-year dimming of the solar-powered display, compounded by my cataract-impaired vision, because the common log of that value has a characteristic of -3, which means I wasn't counting zeroes (decimal places) wrongly.

bad_dog 7 years, 9 months ago

aerohawk:

I believe Compton Sr. was/is good buddies with Quin Snyder. I seem to recall an LJW article indicating Compton Sr. got put out when the student section waived copies of the UDK or some other paper with Quin's picture on it during pre-game introductions just because D.C.'s company First Management advertised in said paper.

Doesn't make him a d-bag, but you have to wonder a bit regarding his concern/sensitivity for the potentially injured feelings of a then Mizzou coach/former Duke alum arising from a common pre-game ritual.

Aside from that little ancedote, there are many, many other stories about D.C. both personal and professional that anyone who has been around L-town for long has heard or experienced. Nevertheless, those stories have nothing to do with this article or the character of D.C.'s son.

b_asinbeer 7 years, 9 months ago

KU62-Not a personal vendetta. Just telling the truth. Compton sr. is a slimeball. Keep in mind, I still commented on the article in my very post. I think the article's good.