Originally published February 18, 2010 at 12:36p.m., updated February 19, 2010 at 12:00a.m.

Tyshawn Taylor will make return to starting lineup

Taylor makes return to starting lineup

Kansas guard Tyshawn Taylor points to injured teammate Markieff Morris after intentionally fouling Kansas State guard Denis Clemente to stop play during the first half Saturday, Jan. 30, 2010 at Bramlage Coliseum.

GameDay Cram Session: Colorado

KUSports.com online editor Jesse Newell and Journal-World sports editor Tom Keegan take a look at what to expect from the Kansas basketball team's matchup against Colorado.

Sometimes a starter, sometimes a sixth man, versatile Kansas University combo guard Tyshawn Taylor will start Saturday’s KU-Colorado game, set for a 3 p.m. tip in Allen Fieldhouse.

“I’m happy. I’m just going to try to make the best of the opportunity,” said Taylor, who has started 15 games and come off the bench in 11 others during the 2009-10 campaign.

Taylor — he’s said in the past that he prefers starting over relieving — at least temporarily replaces Brady Morningstar, who started the last nine games. Taylor opened the season as a seven-game starter only to give way to Elijah Johnson for a pair of contests before winning the job back, and losing it again.

“This is not a reflection of Brady playing poorly,” KU coach Bill Self said of junior guard Morningstar, who has 19 assists against three turnovers the last five games, but has hit just six of 22 shots in that same span.

“I love coaching Brady. He’s been great for us. Whether he’s coming off the bench or a starter he’s played very well for us. Tyshawn is a guy who makes plays you can’t coach. He’s a difference maker from a speed standpoint and that kind of stuff. I think we’ve got to get more out of Tyshawn moving forward for us to have a chance to do what we want to do,” Self added, noting the move also was made to add “more speed and more oomph starting the game.”

“He (Taylor) has to become one of the premier players on our team and doing this with him I’m hoping will help him get to that point,” Self said. “And I know it’s not going to hurt Brady. That’s what we’re going to do short-term wise to see if that works out a little bit better.”

Taylor scored four points and had two assists against one turnover while playing 22 minutes in Monday’s 59-54 victory at Texas A&M.

“I didn’t mind coming off the bench. I did my best coming off the bench,” said Taylor, a sophomore from Hoboken, N.J.

“I think it was a motivation factor, just to see how much he could get out of me coming off the bench,” Taylor added of his stint as sixth man, which had its stormy moments including one in which he told reporters he was unsure of his role on KU’s team.

“I think I’ve been doing some good things, playing good defense. I am going to continue that as a starter. I don’t think it’s that big a deal. I think it’s more about who finishes. I do like starting, but coming off good games off the bench, I want to do the same things starting.”

Self indicated: “From my vantage point we’ve got his attention, undivided. He’s trying real hard. I thought our team was best the last two games when Tyshawn was in the game.”

Senior Sherron Collins thinks the move will benefit soph guard Taylor, who averages 6.8 points a game with 83 assists against 48 turnovers.

“Brady is the type of player, he’ll give the same effort no matter if he starts or comes off the bench,” Collins said. “It won’t affect Brady at all. I think it’ll give Tyshawn a confidence boost, a chip back on his shoulder. I think it (not starting) feels like someone took it from him. I know he brought it on himself. I think it helps the team a lot when Tyshawn plays well.”

Comments

fansincewilt 4 years, 6 months ago

Tyshawn is amazingly fast. I think it is a great problem to have to figure out who to start between Taylor, Morningstar and Reed. They are all very good. Morningstar is probably one of the most heads-up player in recent history to play for the Jayhawks. When he penetrates into the lane I know that someone is about to get a really good pass for an open shot. I would really like to see more plays to Reed from the three. He is shooting better right now than most are. Tyshawn's quickness on defense will be fun to watch in the years to come. I like having all three of these guys on our team. I feel plenty comfortable with either of them out there.

Michael Leiker 4 years, 6 months ago

Good to see Bill has finally ready my postings and is obviously intercepting my text messages. Tyshawn is the key...only change of pace player on this team. If he plays at a high level, national champs, plain and simple.

To the rest of the team - Please try and keep up with TT.

afilmer 4 years, 6 months ago

am i missing something? where is there any mention of collins being a month behind in his conditioning? that is a stunning statement at this point in the season and i can't seem to find anything more about this in the bed of the story.

KU 4 years, 6 months ago

If the kid would just go full bore on the defensive end, he could create the kind of open-court game that he would excel in. One of the main differences between this team and 2008, in my mind, is the 8-10 easy points per game that were scored in transition off steals. As you start playing better competition, it gets harder to score in the half court. We could use more easy buckets.

86finalfour 4 years, 6 months ago

Collins out of shape? What?! What happened to that story?

d_prowess 4 years, 6 months ago

Has to be an error in creating the headline...

97jhawk 4 years, 6 months ago

He might be fast, but at times, his lackadaisical ball handling has hurt KU. In fact, it was either the KSU game or CU game where he turned the ball over because of that, which then prompted an OT setting when, if he'd handled the ball properly, it would've been over in regulation.

He's done it on numerous occasions. Enough to see that it's obvious Self gets easily frustrated with him. This is a surprise to me. TT's shooting has been subpar as well and he hasn't been that aggressive when driving the lane. I think it has more to do with B-star, a.k.a. "Sleeves", poor shooting as of late, but to think Self would substitute B-star's "D" over TT seems a bit odd as well.

Self has 400 wins so I'm gonna have to think he knows best about what he's doing...haha!

jayhawkboogeyman 4 years, 6 months ago

This is a really poorly written story. The headline makes it seem like Taylor is starting over Collins because Collins is a month behind conditioning. But really, Taylor is starting over Morningstar, and there isn't a word about Collins in the entire story.

tis4tim 4 years, 6 months ago

Over the past four games:

Brady: 4-17; 2.5 PPG; 2.25 RB in @24 min. Taylor: 8-20; 5.5 PPG; 2 RB in @ 20 min.

I'd say it is because of Brady playing poorly, or at least not as well as he was earlier in the season.

Chicago_JHawk 4 years, 6 months ago

I listened to the audio - no mention of Collins being behind in conditioning.

Jesse Newell 4 years, 6 months ago

Guys — Sorry about the subhead. It was incorrect. It accidentally got pasted from a different story.

Again, sorry for the confusion.

Jesse Newell KUsports.com online editor

stravinsky 4 years, 6 months ago

Well they got the subhead fixed now.

97, that turnover was on Brady. When you're running a 3 man weave and all of a sudden a certain guard (not naming any names, cough, morningstar) abruptly stops running the play as a pass is made, bad things sometimes happen.

I'm excited about this. Taylor playing up to his potential is going to determine who we are in March and, hopefully, April.

jayhawk47 4 years, 6 months ago

If he wants speed without the screw-ups he should start EJ instead of Taylor

86finalfour 4 years, 6 months ago

yeah, strange coincidence given Collins' recent slump....

Tribehawk 4 years, 6 months ago

Could Self's decision be kind of a backhanded dig at Xavier? In other words, we need a slashing guard like Tyshawn in the starting lineup because we're not getting it from X? If X were taking it to the rim more often, I would think that Brady stays in the starting lineup because of everything else he brings to the table.

JRandall 4 years, 6 months ago

First bad move by Self this season. Tyshawn has amazing talent that being said he probably has the lowest Basketball IQ on the team. He makes terrible decisions especially when it is critical. Until he accepts his role, becomes a leader and starts playing defense, either Morningstar or Reed is a better bet for KU to win it all. Tyshawn does not seem to be viewed by his teammates as a leader, Morninstar does... Sorry TT your probably a nice guy, but you need to study the game more.

Scott Smetana 4 years, 6 months ago

Jrandall, I disagree. Tyshawn has the speed to keep up with the Elite players we'll see in the tourney. We need him. Brady is in a bit of a slump, but he'll be fine come tourney time. We'll need all of our guards to shut down Wall (which we will do). Hopefully this confidence booster will get TT going even better. Great move Self.

Joel Hood 4 years, 6 months ago

Brady's contributions don't show in stats. How do you measure right place at the right time? How do you measure a cruical tip to a teammate in the last minute to retain possession? How do you measure keeping someone else from scoring with great on-ball defense?

Coach knows more than any of us, but both players are critical for this team to be successful. I will bet Brady's is on the floor during crunch time and TT is not if we are up by only a few points in the last minute.

Tony Bandle 4 years, 6 months ago

Can any of you come up with a better game to try this on than Colorado at Allen on a Saturday afternoon?

Besides, Monday will be our third Big Monday in a row and I think Brady and Sherron need to get a bit of a rest...and coming up @Okie State, KSU and @Misery is not exactly a walk in the park!!

PikesPeakSmitty is exactly right.... Tyshawn is the only Jayhawk who has a prayer of keeping up Wall!!

1977kufan 4 years, 6 months ago

Guys at the J-W staff - this is an excellent article and very informative. I personally feel that this is an excellent starting change from Coach Self's perspective. As he says, this has nothing to do with B. Morningstar's current performance level. This is a move to "look to the immediate future when the tournaments begin and are in progress". I like the "let's give T. Taylor a try at starting for this game and maybe additional games and see what develops". He knows who is sitting right next to him on the bench and he knows (I'm sure that he has already talked to Brady and even T. Reed about this move) that either of those guys do not have an "ego" for who starts and who substitutes. I am sure that Coach Self knows when to and not to substitute. Although we certainly struggled with Colorado in Boulder, I do not foresee that same experience in the Phog this Saturday. Nice move Coach and Rock Chalk!!!

Theutus 4 years, 6 months ago

I say if we wanna best prepare for our future, we start playing EJ a lot more as well....

Grats to Tyshawn, he played his ace off against A&M. I hope he's finally starting to learn how to play smart.

After all, athletic ability only gets you so far.

docileboy 4 years, 6 months ago

I predict Morningstar to enter the lineup at the first stoppage of play.

kcgregory 4 years, 6 months ago

@docileboy

you mean like taylor does when morningstar starts? what's your point?

ParisHawk 4 years, 6 months ago

I may be naive, but I take Self's words at face value. Of our 8 rotation players, Taylor is the one who needs something, anything, to get that last 10% of improvement out of him. Brady sat for a semester and didn't miss a beat, this isn't going to faze him.

This is all about "saving Private Taylor" before March. He gets better, the bigs hit the boards and the others start scoring 3s and we are ready to rock.

Studogg 4 years, 6 months ago

Jayhawkerjoel-- I agree with you about Brady's contributions. Self did not say that Brady wouldn't be playing at all, he just said he wouldn't be starting. Brady will still probably be in there in tight games down the stretch. I like Brady's defensive energy off the bench anyway.

KULA 4 years, 6 months ago

I hope all the TT haters who want him to transfer read this article. "I thought our team was its best the last two games when Tyshawn was in the game." (Self)

97-everyone had TO's against KState(MM-3, X-4, SC-3). They have some of the best guard defense in the country. I'd love to see them play Kentucky. To single out one play (which was actually Brady's fault) for blame is unfair. No coach would ever do that. I personally found our bigs poor shooting more frustrating (10/24). You could just as easily say that forced the game to OT. Tyshawn was more the reason we won that game (8/9 from the line) than the reason it went to OT.

jayhawkerjoel- Brady does some things well, some not so. He can't hit a lick unless he's wide open in the right corner when Sherron kicks it out to him. I've never seen him hit a shot off a move or dribble. That's not my idea of a good shooter. Now Brady's not even hitting FT's. He couldn't hang w/ Sloan in the first half. It was TT who shut him down for most of the 2nd half.

And I wonder if we could get away with Sherron playing less than 32 min. against that powerhouse Colorado. I wonder if he might be a little more productive with a little more rest. We all remember how last year ended.

Theutus 4 years, 6 months ago

KULA, I have been one of Taylors harshest critics, and I wouldn't change anything i've said. It's all true.

Taylor has always been a head case. He hasn't shown that he can play the mental portion of this game at this level. Atleast not consistently.... Yet.

That being said, I still hope this is the turning point for him. And Self's statement to the media is just that, a statement to the media.

Do you take every word a politician speaks at face value? Because when a D1 coach talks to the media, that's what he's doing. Politics. Unless you're Bob Knight, he just says what he's thinking with no regard for consequence. lol.

100 4 years, 6 months ago

Let the preparation for going against John Wall begin....

We're proud of you, Tyshawn....

Rock Chalk

martyks 4 years, 6 months ago

Coach Self knows better than I do. I'll have to give TT a better look. There have been times I've wondered "Where are you going?" Speed without discipline is usually a very bad thing in basketball. It isn't the Morningstar never makes mistakes. I think Coach Self is shooting for the higher ceiling with TT and he also knows that Brady doesn't care if he starts. He's more of a team oriented player than TT is. That's not a put down of Taylor. It's more of a compliment to Brady. The kid is all about the team and if it helps the team, he's up for it.

justanotherfan 4 years, 6 months ago

Let's think of it this way...

KU needs Taylor at the top of his game. Look around the country.

The other top teams are Kentucky, Villanova and Syracuse.

Of those three teams, the only one where Brady would maybe play more than Tyshawn is 'Cuse because of their zone, although Brady wasn't much of a factor last year against 'Cuse.

Nonetheless, we all know that Brady is very good against spot up shooters, but has trouble with quick guards that like to put the ball on the floor. Guess what - Kentucky, Villanova, West Virginia, Georgetown, Michigan State, Tennessee, etc. all have multiple quick guards that like to put the ball on the floor. If we face UK, who does Brady guard? Wall and Bledsoe are the exact type of players he struggles against. Liggins, Miller and Dodson are all too tall for Brady to match up well. Same with Villanova, Tennessee and Michigan State. And Georgetown. And WVU. And a few other teams. Tyshawn matches up better with those types of players.

Don't be surprised in the tournament this year as we get further and further down the line (i.e., Elite Eight on) if Self goes to a very short bench, with the bulk of the minutes going to Cole, the Morris twins, Sherron, X, and Tyshawn, with Brady and Tyrel being used very situationally as spot up shooters and defenders in specific situations.

This is just a move by Self to prepare Tyshawn (hopefully) for big minutes during what could be a very long run in March (and early April).

txron 4 years, 6 months ago

A SQEEKEY WHEEL GETS THE GREESE

hawk316 4 years, 6 months ago

As I wrote elsewhere, some players perform better as starters than coming off the bench. Tyshawn may be one of those. On the other hand, Morningstar will contribute his solid play either way.

I love Coach Self's thinking here. As always, he is trying to get the best out of his players, so like a great mechanic, he has to tinker. Actually, I think he may be on to something here.

waywardJay 4 years, 6 months ago

i called for brady to start at the begining of the season unless Tyshawn has perfected the three ball..... Or he developed the defensive ability that brady has.... Based on Last game... Brady was not able to handle SLoan, Tyshawn was. We may not know for sure if the Three is dropping yet but for sure Tyshawn seems to have gotten the defensive side taken care of....

I also rarely see Tyshawn take a 3 unless he's open and he is above 30 percent then....would like to see above 40 but over 30 and caustious i will take for now.

GilbertAZ 4 years, 6 months ago

Nice post kushaw. I'm starting to like you.

Robert Brock 4 years, 6 months ago

Brady is pretty good at feeding the post. When Tyshawn tries it, he usually gives the popcorn vender a fat lip.

JayhawkRock 4 years, 6 months ago

This is the perfect game to try to make this switch and if it doesnt work out then we can go back to Brady. Self may try it again on Monday against OU as well. Im ok with this move.

Edward Daub 4 years, 6 months ago

Tyshawn needs to hear what John Wooden used to say "be quick but don't hurry". I really think that John Wall will hit the Freshman Wall soon!

stan777 4 years, 6 months ago

Jayhawks searching for a leader as Collins shows up out of shape

Old news, Collins grew into the role Coach Self expected. Rock Chalk

jayhawkintexas 4 years, 6 months ago

Tyshawn Taylor is a difference-maker---yeah, as long as he doesn't throw the damn ball away.

Lance Hobson 4 years, 6 months ago

Good call. Self knows that Tyshawn can take us to the Final 4 and Brady can't. He blew for us last year against MSU.

Phoggin_Loud 4 years, 6 months ago

I just found this prediction from Seth Davis of Sports Illustrated:

National Championship

"In a fitting way to end a rematch of the 2003 final, Kansas' Tyshawn Taylor blocks Syracuse guard Andy Rautins' three-point attempt at the buzzer to give the Jayhawks their second championship in three years."

Would anyone gripe about this? Let's Roll, Baby!!!

Phoggin_Loud 4 years, 6 months ago

The ONLY way to match up against Kentucky is to have Tyshawn & E.J. defend John Wall. They are the only 2 guys on this team that can match his athleticism. HCBS knows this & is preparing him now!!

Phoggin_Loud 4 years, 6 months ago

I now see that my John Wall comments were already made by most of the previous posters.

Sorry All. I guess great minds (and KU Hoops fans) think alike.

jaybate 4 years, 6 months ago

drgnslyr,

Ok, I am officially signing off on Tyshawn now. I did my duty. He's back starting. I even predicted he might resume starting immediately after the TAM game. :-)

I studied Ty. I found his flaws. I exposed them. They were few, but deeply psychological. They were generally not what everyone was complaining about. I defended him, while he was fixing them and Self was slowly easing up on the toughness box. I have argued vigorously in many posts during the last three games that he has now become a very good 20 minute glue man, basically as good as Brady, but without the trey and without the psychological toughness. Two games ago, I said Self would let Ty out of the toughening box after a few more games, not immediately; that's what has happened.

Self is officially letting Ty out of the toughening box against a lousy Colorado team that runs the Princeton. Self is smart. What's Ty's strength and weakness? He's strong at on-ball defense, because it keeps him focused and he is weak at off ball defense, because he loses focus guarding guys out on wings not doing much. Ty has an attention deficit to put not too fine a point on it.

The Princeton has so much cutting that Tyshawn's focus should stay spiked on and off ball. He will chase on ball, and chase off ball. He will be chasing his man, a not very good player, at that, through cuts and picks all game long. And on offense, he'll be able to be a difference maker, because his defender is apt to be vastly slower and not much of a jumper. Its a set up, if ever there were one.

If Ty can stay focused, he'll play about 30-35 minutes against CU to rest Brady and Sherron, because Self will need Sherron and Brady fit and ready to play 25-30 hard minutes Monday night.

Get it? Tyshawn is the starter. But Brady is still going to play a lot.

Ty is getting the big lob here from Self. He is being set up to succeed, or fail, big time. It means Self has invested all he thinks is justified in Ty. If Ty fails, his future at KU is truly in jeopardy. If he succeeds, if he plays glue and performs as a difference maker, too, then his future next year is set.

Self is saying Ty is the last piece in the team puzzle. They need his light speed difference making.

jaybate 4 years, 6 months ago

Self is pumping Ty up big time; this is what Self historically does with a physically gifted player with psychological performance that Self has struggled with modulating. It was only a few days ago that Self said, "Tyshawn's been a mystery."

Now, Self is saying: we've tried everything else. Let's see what he can do, when we give him exactly what he wants. Its called giving someone enough rope to hang themselves, or letting them take it to the next level.

Brady is stepping back to sub, because Brady choked on two big free throws that could have put the game completely out of reach, and because Brady's defense on Sloan actually was spotty.

Self, the master psychologist is ready to fish or cut bait with Tyshawn. Produce over the next 2-3 games, or I'm going with Brady full time in the Madness, capice?

Self made clear that of the two, its Brady who has the mental toughness to handle what ever Self tries. Ty is the fast guy who is psychologically fragile, just as I have been saying all along.

Self is not only positioning for a stretch run. He is positioning for next season. Ty's future hinges on what he does now. Self might well land Selby, Terence Ross and even a Knight recommit is not beyond possibility. Self will be watching what Ty does for the next 3 games to see if Ty has the right stuff for the Madness, and for next season.

I think Ty has the right stuff, but once upon a time I thought David Padgett had it, too. Self did something similar with David Padgett. After a period of frustration, Self gave Padgett the rope and said we need Padgett to be his best so we can be our best. Padgett did not measure up and things were never the same between he and Self. Padgett left.

Self never says stuff like this unless he's trying to get a player to take it to the next level.

Ty is getting the big lob--the long rope. Here's hoping he rim-rams the lob for all the difference making he can and uses the rope on the man he's defending.

Jack Wilson 4 years, 6 months ago

KULA: "Tyshawn brings offense to this team that no other player can (besides a rested Sherron)."

Holy c***! You have seriously lost all touch with reality. That comment (respectfully) borders on absolute ignorance. To even suggest that is to ignore every single game this season (other than Tenn. Tech where Tyshawn scored 18 and said "I finally got mine.") X, Marcus, and Cole are members of this team I would respectfully suggest might bring the offense a bit more than your friend TT. Lot's of stuff posted that is out there .. but you've topped everyone with that. Unbelievable.

Any of you that think coach Self is saying what he is saying for anyone's consumption other than Taylor's is really missing it. Coach Self is searching for any way, any chance, to get this guy playing consistently well. He is trying to stroke the ego of a selfish player whom he desperately needs to play at a higher level. Unfortunately, I believe, Taylor is destined to disappoint.

Jack Wilson 4 years, 6 months ago

Coach Self has married himself to TT. He's stuck with him in the face of another option (EJ). Now, when time is short, and the NCAAs are just around the corner, he's making a move see if he can elevate TT's play. I think he's tried just about everything else. Coach Self sees how poorly we may match-up with Reed/Morningstar in certain situations, against certain teams. Here's hoping Coach Self has got this one right.

stan777 4 years, 6 months ago

KU needs a well oiled machine come March, I hope this rotation doesnt stop even come tournament time. Aldrich had a great game against Tech only a month before his big game against NC in the Final Four. I hope to see T2,Withey,Robinson,and CJ all come out and play to their potential.

newyorkjayhawk 4 years, 6 months ago

justanotherfan -

i like what you had to say about taylor matching up better against the other top teams in the country. one thing we desperately missed against texas a&m was a constant full court game... one of those would've stretched the aggies out and probably would've played into our superior depth. a more athletic taylor would've helped stretch the court out more... so in my mind, taylor isn't just a good match up against top teams, but so many other grinders in the nation.

i'm still a bigger fan of morningstar because he's simply much more mistake-free... the problem is that, although he can feed the post better than anyone else on the team, he can't drive to the post or run a fast break. defensively, it's a wash in my opinion... taylor is quicker by far, but morningstar values the defensive end more.

all in all, taylor can penetrate better into zone defenses featured by g'town, cuse, etc, can run better full court against the other fast paced teams like UK, and could be a better solution overall... i just heavily value brady's ability to play sound basketball... he's not exciting or flashy, but he's just solid. i'm sure he'll still get 20+ minutes each game, so no worries... HCBS knows best.

FairgroveJayhawk 4 years, 6 months ago

This is really a very good move. Nothing bad can come of it. Morningstar is Mr. consistency, and if Tyshawn can't perform, he'll resume where he left off. For Tyshawn it's sink or swim.

I really didn't see Tyshawn as being challenged by Self until after semester which makes me wonder if Self waited for a specific reason. Did Self foresee a possible transfer happening before semester that he wanted to try to avoid. Think about it.

Tyshawn makes a big stink with the football team that achieves national status. Self pretty much blows it off by what I think are Self's standards. Morningstar screws up and feels the brunt of Self's wrath. Self (unless I missed it) started Taylor all first semester, all the while Taylor was performing with mediocrity and with not much of a team mentality. Couldn't Self have started EJ or CJ in place of Taylor during that time and achieve the same results?... a win against cupcakes?

I believe Self waited to put Taylor in the steamer until after semester because he knew in the back of his head Taylor may want to transfer if he "didn't get his". Transferring after semester would mean a longer wait before seeing court time else where, and I think Self wanted more time to show Taylor what he can achieve at KU and what KU can achieve with Taylor.

Taylor, although very talented, I think is very challenging from a coaching standpoint. I love to see player development. I think coach Self is the master and can bring the best out of any players challenging moment to achieve their potential. And I strongly believe Taylor can achieve his goals of being a superstar in college hoops and beyond if he listens to Self. I hope Taylor swims and doesn't sink. My gut tells me it's in Taylor's favor.

David Leathers 4 years, 6 months ago

So..... Has TT been trying really hard? Or is it just me?

:-) I love when CS runs out of things to say. I bet if you listened to the sound bite it wouldn't sound like it does when you read it.

BringBackNike 4 years, 6 months ago

I like this move a lot. Tyshawn has what it takes to be a huge part of this team going toward the title. He will play even harder now that he gets to start again and it won't even faze Brady. He'll come off the bench and play solid mins still.

gardenjay 4 years, 6 months ago

Well, anyway Jaybate, it could be that Self is pumping up TT, but it could also be that the LJW is perseverating over a single remark. Either way, it was a pretty repeptetive article and syrupy to read. Note to Self: channel someone who is not so chatty next time, 'cause the LJW prints every-thing-you-utter.

ginger2015 4 years, 6 months ago

I agree drgnslayr. I'm amazed at the number of mind readers that post on this site.

minnhawk84 4 years, 6 months ago

KU will never see UK in the tourney......the Wildcats will already be gone.

ProudKansan 4 years, 6 months ago

I trust in Bill Self. Love the man and coach. But...why??? I don't want to bash a college kid but it seems all I ever see Tyshawn do is turn the ball over and make silly decisions. I hope this works.

ProudKansan 4 years, 6 months ago

AsadZ 4 years, 6 months ago

Tyshawn is a guy who makes plays you can’t coach. He’s a difference maker from a speed standpoint and that kind of stuff. This comment says it all. Nice post jaybate. You have been saying this for a while about TT and I agree with you 100%.

Lindsey Buscher 4 years, 6 months ago

PK, sorry, but if we are going to win the title then we are going to need a confident competent Taylor. It's like Self said after the last game, Collins needs someone to help create open looks for him and Taylor can hopefully be the one to set Collins up and get him back on track.

docileboy 4 years, 6 months ago

I'm pretty sure coach Self is focusing on winning one game at a time. I don't think he is the least bit concerned about guarding John Wall or any other Kentucky player at this time. I mean there is a good chance that KY and KU will not meet this year.

I would like to see several of the KU reserves get some playing time, but for some reason coach doesn't feel like it's necessary.

mi_familia 4 years, 6 months ago

This topic has been very interesting this season. There are so many people that either love or hate these players. The problem isn't with the players; it is with our expectations as fans. We are comparing apples to oranges here.

On one hand, you have a very smart and consistent player (up until lately) that doesn't commit too many turnovers; hits open shots; feeds the post; and is supposedly a "lockdown defender." His downfalls are average athletic ability, poor ball handling, lack of ability to create his own shot, and doesn't create for others. He also gets caught in the air way too often when trying to pass.

On the other hand, you have an athletic ball handler that pushes the ball; creates his own shot; adds pressure to the defense; creates for others; and is just as solid on defense as Brady. His weakness is decision making, too many charges, and poor outside shooting.

When I say apples to oranges, I mean there is a total difference in play. Brady is a safe bet that works well when we slow the offense down and need to play safe. Whereas Tyshawn is a player that speeds up the game but takes risks. There are some of us that prefer the half court game which Self has brought to Kansas and others that prefer the fast paced action.

I believe Self figures that in the tourney, KU will have to be prepared to play either way. We have the half court flow going for us. Now it is time to work on pushing the tempo.

I don't feel that Self is punishing Brady or giving Tyshawn "his last chance." He is preparing the team for every situation that may come their way.

As for the Elijah talk about starting.... come on! I am one of Elijah's biggest fans. I see the potential, and I agree that he needs to see much more playing time. Let's get real though... he hasn't played enough minutes to prove that he should be starting.

Just remember though... each of us has our different opinion on who plays, but we do have one commonality and that is that we all want to see Coach Self cut down the nets at the end of the season. Rock Chalk!

justanotherfan 4 years, 6 months ago

docileboy,

It's not just about matching up with Kentucky. We need Tyshawn in order to match up as well as possible against ANY of the top teams. True, we may never play UK, but the chances that we avoid Kentucky, Michigan State, West Virginia, Villanova, Syracuse, a rematch with Tennessee, and Georgetown all in the same tournament run is very unlikely.

Besides that, there are several other teams that will probably be in the 8-9 seed range that have players that would give us matchup problems - UTEP has lots of quick slashing guards, so does Georgia Tech, and Ole Miss, and Louisville, and Cincinnati. Do you get the idea. Even if we don't have to play UK at all, we will face a team with lots of quick, slashing guards. Its practically inevitable. The chances that our road to the national championship goes something like Jackson State, Northern Iowa, New Mexico, Wisconsin, Purdue, Duke (i.e., teams with basically one quick slashing guard, or none at all) is highly unlikely.

So Coach Self prepares for the more likely scenario - that we will face at least one, probably two teams with multiple quick, slashing guards. Taylor is the best matchup in those situations. So Tyshawn goes back into the lineup.

Tony Bandle 4 years, 6 months ago

docileboy..come Tourney time everybody tenses up..especially head coaches, that's why you see shorter and shorter rotations. All head coaches want their best guys out there and thus the rotation becomes very selective, so unconciously, head coaches are already in the tournament mentally.

The last ten games of the Regular Season are actually the Preseaon of the Second Season. [try and say that ten times really fast :}]

Set the optimum rotation.

Keep everybody healthy, motivated and focused.

Verify alternative offenses or defenses.

In normal Tourney game situations I predict that EJ, T- Rob, CJ will see no playing time.

Even Tyrell's PT could be reduced

My point is HCBS is honing his "go to war" rotation and even in blow outs, these guys will still play the vast majority of minutes.

My one suggestion would be to force Withey into the rotation as much as possible. A mobile seven footer could be a game saver down the line!!

NebraskaJayhawk 4 years, 6 months ago

jayhawkerjoel said it right about the IQ thing and that Brady will be in during crucial situations unless TT starts understanding that the game of basketball is a team sport. College basketball is not the NBA. And I'm talking strictly basketball IQ when I say IQ. It has nothing to do with his intelligence as an individual. Once he slows down a notch and starts playing within himself, he will look even that much faster when he drives to the basket. Right now he is 150 miles an hour every second he's in the game. He is pure athleticsm and I want him to succeed. But he is nowhere near the kind of defender that RusRob was or Chalmers for that matter. I think he has the skills to become that and I honestly thought he would by this point in his college career. But he looks like a freshman to me still learning the ropes.

Joe Baker 4 years, 6 months ago

At this point, I don't care who starts.

The win is all that matters.

Rock Chalk Beat CU!

Steve Brown 4 years, 6 months ago

Posted this on V day and took guff from some of you, I stand by it then and now. TT brings game we move from very very good to unbeatable.

2.14.2010 If/when Taylor brings his A game we can't be beat. does anyone disagree, think about it, if TT brings game we are unbeatable.

Love the Twins, Big MacMorris and 'The Other Morris'. Amazed at Cole, Da-Terminator: where shots go to die. Admire Brady and TReed. our glue guys. Revere Sherron.

But here is the lynch pin, the cornerstone, the key code, the Ace in the hole, it's Tyshawn. This is turning point in season, if..... naw dare I say, NOW that TT has found game, and from this day forward will reduce turnovers, play tough defense, create more assists and hit that random trey, jump shot and floater for high percentage, then we will not, can not, dare not lose again.

I've picked on him all season and now I'm his 'fan in the stands', come on TT rise up. You've shown us flashes of talent all year, just be you, that is all we need from you, and you will make us great, I've watched games in AFH for decades and I know you can do it. You've got game and coach knows it, or you wouldn't play, you've got game, bring it.

February 14, 2010 at 1:10 p.m. ( permalink | suggest removal )

thmdmph 4 years, 6 months ago

I totally admire Self and his decisions and I think I understand the logic behind starting TT, but I can't help but get very nervous whenever I see TT handle the ball. Speed is one thing, but control and smart is another. In too many situations, he constantly drive himself into very bad situations and get in trouble - offensive fouls, turn overs, get blocked, or just puts his team in compromising position where they are more likely to foul because of his plays and passes. I actually wish he slows down in certain situations a bit in order to make better decisions.

Regardless, coach will get the best out of this team.

docileboy 4 years, 6 months ago

I guess I still don't see the advantage of having depth if these quality players setting on bench don't gain some game experience. I think come tournament time KU is going to need some help coming off the bench and they are going to have very little experience.

Wingshooter 4 years, 6 months ago

TT may need a confidence boost, but I'm also seeing B-star's shooting form deteriorate over the last several games; and what of the confidence shown in Brady's technical free throw mis-fire? Could be a balance issue as well.

KU 4 years, 6 months ago

docileboy......(Whatever the heck that means)......

You are seeing the advantage of depth in terms of our record: 25-1. The advantage comes on the practice floor where you have 11 guys that can take each other to a higher level every day. Most teams have 8 quality guys, so they can't simulate a real game situation as closely in practice. Elijah doesn't have to log minutes on game day to make a huge difference on our team. Same for Withey, and TRob and a healthy CJ Henry.

NebraskaJayhawk 4 years, 6 months ago

LOL drgnslayr. Good post and I hope you are right.

ku_foaf 4 years, 6 months ago

I see a change in Tyshawn since the stuff about posting on Facebook. He seems more relaxed, focused on team play, and to enjoy what he is doing. He still occasionally tries to do it all himself when help if available with bad consequences. He is an improved player. He occasionally does some pretty amazing things by himself, too.

The Facebook incident and fight with the football team have made for a rough year, although his own doing. I hope he has turned things around and does not want to transfer at the end of the year. He does seem to be a very emotional guy and possibly a fragile ego.

Brady is 24 years old and more mature. He has always played "smart" basketball, taking advantages of rules and little things on the court. He reminds me a lot of Mark Turgeon in that respect. I wouldn't be at all shocked to see Brady be a coach someday. He has been a very steady player. I always like him since I saw him explode and break away from a guy at the end of a Baylor game his freshman year.

Tony Bandle 4 years, 6 months ago

It would be great to have a "second team" NCAA Tourney...I don't think anybody in America could touch Kansas:

Withey, Johnson, Markieff, Morningstar and Reed could do some real damage!!

duanep5ku 4 years, 6 months ago

The problem I see with this move is TT is not a good shooter and does not make good passes inside to the post. I think we all know that when TT is on the court that allows other teams to clog the lane against our post players, So if TT is not shooting from the outside that will allow our bigs to get double or triple teamed in the post if he can not hit the outside shot. I no we need more speed at guard but if TT can not produce shooting from the outside. This will probably be temporary because as someone else pointed out during one of our games this year TT is not a good shooter so I would not even guard him until he proves he can hit his shot. So then we have to rely on TT passing the ball inside when the defense sags off him to cover the post players inside" Ouch I guess my problem is if we need speed EJ is probably a better option then TT How many of you agree with that?

docileboy 4 years, 6 months ago

There you go, our second team can beat your second team. I'm not sure they give trophies for that, but if they did...

SoCalAlum 4 years, 6 months ago

Along with seemingly all of the other posters, I agree that starting Tyshawn is a brilliant, timely, and low-risk ploy. I'm with drgnslayer and Oakville...in addition to Tyshawn, I'd like to see Withey get some significant PT too...and how about a 3-2 with Cole and Withey on the back line. Let Colo run all the back cuts they want - let them run into a quasi-7ft'er either side.

This may be Tyshawn's "time to shine" - I think the documentary about his high school team "The Street Stops Here" will be on PBS in March.

Steve Brown 4 years, 6 months ago

Whithey sorry pal next year you got to give up your jersey to TT.

BCRavenJHawkfan 4 years, 6 months ago

lighthawk:

I'll step up and disagree with the unbeatable label. Everyone is beatable...................given the right circumstances. I just always hope it is never ever KU.

Mike Kendall 4 years, 6 months ago

Kentucky was almost beat at a weak Mississippi State Bulldog team. They will not be so lucky at Vandy come Saturday!

bradynsdad 4 years, 6 months ago

wow a few weeks ago everyone here hated tyshawn and loved brady, now its the other way. i think brady will still get more playing time. self feeds the post. that is his game and brady is much better at it than tyshawn. now i still think tyshawn is a great player but if we are tied with one minute left who do you feel more comfortable having in there, taylor or morningstar.

Lacy Mohler 4 years, 6 months ago

bradynsdad---- Given a choice I'd like to see Brady and Tyshawn on the court in that situation.

Will Tyshawn be starting as point guard? In that situation isn't Bill taking some of Bobby Knight's advise? Collins hasn't been making great decisions at the point recently. Maybe time to move him to shooting guard?

Jack Wilson 4 years, 6 months ago

bradynsdad: To answer your question, Brady. This is just another effort by coach Self to salvage his investment in Taylor. So far, Taylor has not repaid coach Self's faith. Perhaps he can this time.

An easy way for Taylor to succeed. Focus all of his efforts on getting the ball to others in a position that they can score. The perfect line for Taylor 28 minutes, 7 points, 9 assists, 4 rebounds, 3 steals, 1 turnover. Assists are the value Taylor can provide, if he could only see it.

Godisajayhawk 4 years, 6 months ago

HEM-

Clearly part of you wants to be realistic in your idea of a "perfect" line, hence the 1 TO, but part of you does not, hence the 9 assists in 28 minutes. I'm not sure what makes you think he could get 9 assists in 28, unless you mean that as a one game anomaly, in which case I suppose it is possible.

Anyway, that said, I see your point, and I'm sure Self has pounded it into his head that he should be getting assists and playing defense, but we also need Taylor slashing and being aggressive if he is to be utilized as optimally as possible. For this reason, his role is not as simple as many think it is, as jaybate has often noted on these boards. He is trying to find the perfect combination of Elmer's and Iverson, and while many agree that his development is not necessarily where we want it to be, he is not the disaster that many think him to be. I just disagree that he should only focus on getting others the ball in positions to score, because if that were all we needed from him, Brady would be doing just fine in that sense.

rock chalk

tstanlick1909 4 years, 6 months ago

Picture this:

Tyshawn delivers a brilliant effort at home against CU (Colorado) We as Jayhawk nation have to feel better about our chances towards an NCAA title than we did on Monday in a close game at A & M. When I see our team in close games like that it leads me to believe that we are not playing to our maximum level. At this point in this season it is important for us to be playing to our full potential, and it is Bill Self's job to make that happen, thus he must make roster moves like this to be sure.

Steve Brown 4 years, 6 months ago

DSLYR: I'm still expecting big things from TT this season... and I hope he doesn't prove me wrong. THMD:I think I understand the logic behind starting TT, but I can't help but get very nervous whenever I see TT handle the ball.

we are full of hope & nvervousness for TT - agreed.

2,000 Columbia 3.6.10

Jacobpaul81 4 years, 6 months ago

I agreed with Bobby Knight 100%. Bill should have benched him. Hell, I've been saying it for 4 years.

This move to Tyshawn at the point is very smart. Bill knows what he has. His best team of recent has been when Taylor, Reed, Henry, Marcus Morris with either Cole or Markieff on the court. Taylor, Reed and Henry are all faster than Brady and Sherron, and this season (especially in big XII play) they all have better shooting percentages. Feel free to do the math. Collins and Brady are both shooting awful since Big XII started. Collins at a 36% clip and Brady at 34%. Taylor, Reed and Henry have all been more accurate.

I expect Brady to relieve Taylor at the 1. I fully expect Reed, Henry and Collins to enter into a 3 man rotation at the 2 & 3. I know Bill doesn't want to pull Collins, but he's obviously tired, he's not shooting well, his on court decision making, while never great, has been horrid. Defensively, he's our weakest link. He can't contain anybody and he's too small to defend anyone inside the 3 pt line.

bnet0000 4 years, 6 months ago

Collins does... need to work on his defense, but he has been the deciding factor in all of our close games. In my opinion he gets to many minutes. (He's tired Bill!) Give him a break mid half and his performance will go up. TT needs to keep his head up and just play ball. He is a "game changer" for sure. (Good or bad) If he plays good the Hawks are unstoppable. Go Hawks!

Hank Cross 4 years, 6 months ago

This is a great move. It was obvious that Brady would not be able to stay with more athletic players come tourney time and he is a non-threat on the offensive end (excepting the open shot that any D-1 guard should make).