Originally published February 17, 2010 at 12:11p.m., updated February 17, 2010 at 03:44p.m.

KU football uniforms to change in 2010

Players' names will not appear on the backs of uniforms

A Jayhawk logo will appear instead of last names on the back of 2010 Kansas football uniforms.

Reader poll

Do you like the look of the new KU football uniforms?

• Yes 32% 912 votes
  • No 55% 1592 votes
  • Undecided 12% 345 votes

2849 total votes.

Kansas football fans will see some slight changes in the football uniforms starting in the 2010 season.

For the first time since 1981, players' last names will not be on the back of their uniforms. A Jayhawk logo will appear in the location instead.

“The reasoning behind not having the individual’s names is to support what we are expecting from our team and program,” KU football coach Turner Gill said in a release. “Our program is about team. We are representing the University of Kansas. You will see that name on the front of our jerseys."

Also, KU's blue helmets will not have a red stripe running down the middle during the 2010 season. The logo on the helmets — the "KU" in Trajan font — will remain unchanged.

Comments

Christopher Hauser 5 years, 1 month ago

I like having names on the back of jerseys so I can keep track of players, guess I will have to learn numbers now.

Jayhawk1116 5 years, 1 month ago

I agree. I understand the whole "playing for the name on the front of the jersey" concept, but this ain't Notre Dame or the Yankees. Names on the Jerseys help me keep track of who's who. I still hate the Trajan KU. Oh well.

If Gill get's 'em to win that's all that matters.

Jason Spangler 5 years, 1 month ago

This is dumb. A step back... the unis are gonna look cheap now.

Queen_Krenda 5 years, 1 month ago

I dont understand why we pay all this money to use the Trajan font and now were not going to use it anymore

TaCityHawkFan 5 years, 1 month ago

The names on the jersey are for the fans, keep the names on the back.... the front and the helmet will show they are playing for the University of Kansas.

Somehow I now feel like a Bobby Knight era Texas Tech fan... something about that just doesn't feel right.

The Journal World should help get these voices heard by the Athletic Administration.

ku_foaf 5 years, 1 month ago

Never liked the Trajan KU. A friend said it looked like a slimy tentacle was reaching under the "U''s butt. Talk about fixing something that wasn't broken.

The recent uniform colors were the best ever. Sorry to see the red stripe go.

The ugliest were the very dark blue in the Mike Gottfried era.

Christopher Hauser 5 years, 1 month ago

While they are changing things, I loved the Jayhawk logo on the side of the helmet during the KU-mu game. I would trade names on the back of the jersey for the Jayhawk on the side of the helmet.

Ben Kane 5 years, 1 month ago

i agree taking the names off of jerseys for the sake of "the team" is idiotic. it is helpful for fans and announcers and I can only speculate a point of pride for the players. This serves more to make it appear that we can't afford to put the names on there.

Chicago_JHawk 5 years, 1 month ago

I'd prefer they went to the Jayhawk on the helmet from years ago (and resurrected for the MU game last season).

Kettlesworth 5 years, 1 month ago

I'd just hate to be the ppoor sap who has to repaint all the helmets. It's like "make up your minds, dudes!" LOL!

As for the Trajan font, why are we using a font designed by a former Duke basketball player? Makes no sense.

Gavin Fritton 5 years, 1 month ago

I agree, the thing on the back seems sort of cheesy. Maybe it will be different with the Jayhawk logo instead of "JAYHAWKS" written back there, but I dunno.

And why can't we bring back having the Jayhawk on the helmet like we did in the Mizzou game last year? People loved that.

packywacky88 5 years, 1 month ago

Put the Jayhawk back on the helmets....just like the Misery game last year!!!!!!

Rivethead 5 years, 1 month ago

+1 to what chuckberry32 said.

However, we should have expected this. Every new coach comes in and attempts to make an immediate impact on the program. It's kind of like dogs peeing to mark their territory.

Kettlesworth:

What does a former Duke basketball player have to do with it? We're using a former OSU basketball player as our current head basketball coach. That seems to be working out just fine.

OPJayhawk 5 years, 1 month ago

NOOOOOO!! Please don't lose the red stripe on the helmet. PLEASE. Dammit.

Courtney McCabe 5 years, 1 month ago

To Queen_Krenda,

They are still using the Trajan font. It says "The logo on the helmets — the "KU" in Trajan font — will remain unchanged." That means, that part is staying. fyi.

Rick Arnoldy 5 years, 1 month ago

Names on the jerseys! I don’t want to have to memorize everyone’s number.

+1 regarding bringing back the Jayhawk on the helmet.

Deb Fitch 5 years, 1 month ago

It's the coaches job to get the players to play for the name on the front of the jersey...he shouldn't need the help of taking the players name off the back. The name on the back of the jersey is for the fans. We really don't need any more Nebraska traditions at KU.

Queen_Krenda 5 years, 1 month ago

Repainting the helmets and then sewing the uniforms back up will take forever, plus we've got freshmen coming in and nobody knows what size they will wear. Hope weve got the manpower to pull this baby off.

tbetz 5 years, 1 month ago

I like the idea; it shows the true aspect of team. Coach Gill is trying to get his players to understand that they are no bigger than the University of Kansas. Why is it cheesy? Why is it dumb? Because some of you won't know who the player is? Not hard for me to figure out what message Gill is sending to his team. A lot of people on these message boards have nothing better to do than bitch about petty things. Just be a true supporter and root for the athletic teams instead of bitching and complaining about policy changes by a coach or coaching strategy!

focojayhawk 5 years, 1 month ago

The nameless jerseys are overrated and outdated. It is like they are trying to prove something that is already there. I am sure the first thing a quarterback thinks of when he drops back to pass is, "oh crap, i hope my name on the back is looking right!!!!" This sounds like something Ron Prince would have done. Maybe we should hold hands while we enter and exit the field also.

KU 5 years, 1 month ago

I don't care if they play in pink tutus as long as they play like WINNERS and bring home a CHAMPIONSHIP!

Go to the kuathletics.com site to see the stripe-less helmet and the Jayhawk logo on the back of the jersey.

Rock Chalk Football!!! (Only a matter of weeks until Spring Football!)

Christopher Hauser 5 years, 1 month ago

I still would like to see a picture of what they will look like before I judge. I hope the logo on the back will not stretch across the width of where the last name used to be.

tbetz 5 years, 1 month ago

And really who cares what the damn jerseys or helmets look like or how we enter and exit the field. Isn't the bottom line that we put a competitor on the field and teach young men some lessons about football and life? Or because it's "outdated" we shouldn't to those kinds of things because we don't look "cool."

Jonathan Allison 5 years, 1 month ago

1.) Adidas could do these uniform changes overnight if we wanted them to.

2.) I liked the Jayhawk on the helmet during the MU game, but I remember after the MU game fans on here were complaining about it. So people are going to complain about the uniforms no matter what.

3.) I don't understand the need to get rid of the helmet stripe.

4.) Taking the players names off the back will force us to pay closer attention to who's who on the field and learn their numbers. We may not like it, but it could make us better fans in the end.

Jonathan Allison 5 years, 1 month ago

@ foco,

"and don't forget your power towel!"

KU 5 years, 1 month ago

For those of you pining for the Jayhawk on the side of the helmet from KU's glory days...er.....past (and nothing screams "We are here to kick your a$$!" more than a smiling mythical bird), the logo on the back of the jersey may be a nice compromise. It looks like it's about 4" tall.

Michael Leiker 5 years, 1 month ago

Gimmicky coaching BS (not HCBS)...looking forward to 2-3 years of this touchy feely cr@p.

Kettlesworth 5 years, 1 month ago

Rivethead: I heard that Trajan Landgon designed the font. I could be wrong, but I don't see T.J. Whatley designing Duke's lacrosse jerseys.

Queen_Krenda: If there's anything aspect of this I'm not worried about its the manpower. KU staff can handle anything!

lv_jhwk 5 years, 1 month ago

Just curious who has seats close enough to the field that they are actually able to read the names on the backs of the jerseys. I may be in the minority evidently, but I'm not too concerned with knowing who is standing on the sideline. (And, for the record, my seats are pretty good...I'll leave it at that.)

Rivethead 5 years, 1 month ago

I had to look for myself. Sure enough.....Buffalo football did not have the names on the back of their jerseys under Coach Gill.

This is just one of those little things he did at Buffalo that made him so successful there.

I remember when Mangino came in and put the block "KU" on the helment ala OU.

This is really the same thing. Like I said before.....just marking their territory.

Michael Leiker 5 years, 1 month ago

Rivet - Gill was successful at Buffalo? Must have missed that.

jayhawkjoe98 5 years, 1 month ago

I like the Trajan. I don't like the idea of taking the red stripe off the helmet. It would be interesting to hear the reasoning behind that...

Chicago_JHawk 5 years, 1 month ago

Kettle - I assume you're joking, right?

Kettlesworth 5 years, 1 month ago

Chicago_Jhawk: I challenge you to find a more proficient staff than that at KU.

Chicago_JHawk 5 years, 1 month ago

Kettle - I was referring to the Trajan Langdon nonsense.

I have no doubt that the KU staff can handle the uniform changes without issue!

Queen_Krenda 5 years, 1 month ago

i DON'T know if you guys understand how many players there are on the football team, plus the practice squad. They probably will have to correct 5,000 helmets and jerseys.

Kettlesworth 5 years, 1 month ago

Well, Carol Twombly/Trajan Langdon, same thing. LOL!

Queen-Krenda: Agreed, but they probably have about 5,000 staff people too so it should balance out.

Michael Leiker 5 years, 1 month ago

Krenda - it's called the Chineese, there's tons of them and they love sewing Jayhawks on the backs of jerseys.

focojayhawk 5 years, 1 month ago

Plastic, Nice! How could I forget something as motivating and bada$$ as the "power towels." The staters sure do know how to do it right;)

Queen_Krenda 5 years, 1 month ago

Have you ever seen the movie Rudy's? Collegiate football teams paint and design their own helmets and unifroms in house. And yes, I am being deathly serious Chris.

MitchumMan 5 years, 1 month ago

I understand the concept of taking the names off of the back of the jersey...I really do. But look at it from another perspective - Can we lose any recruits because of this? I think we possibly could. Whether we like it or not, kids these days are all about getting their names out there. They want to be famous. They want people to know who they are. Having a nameless jersey does none of the above. You want high profile recruits? Show them their names on the back of a jersey!

Dirk Medema 5 years, 1 month ago

focojayhawk - I just looked at kuathletics and saw the changes. In all honesty, I prefer names on the back. However, the Jayhawk still looks cool. In my book, you can slap a Jayhawk on just about anything and it looks good to me!!

Agreed wholeheartedly. All the pissing and moaning about fonts makes me think I need to be clutching a caffe mocha with my girlfriends. The only color comment needing to be made is the same one I make to my husker in laws - we are Crimson AND Blue.

jakejayhawk 5 years, 1 month ago

LJW, please note how many comments you have on this story, and it has been posted for just over an hour. We, the fans, overwhelmingly hate this plan. If you have any ability to forward this information to the KU Athletics office, please do so. I hate games every time I have to watch teams that have those "no name" jerseys. Hey, these guys are playing for the fans who support them. Please ask Coach Gill to do something else like group hugs to build teamwork. This is not a beginning designed to build report with fans.

David Leathers 5 years, 1 month ago

@plasticJHawk - The reason HCTG took the red stripe off of the helmets could only be for one reason:

He misses Buffalo, and wants our helmets to be all blue like theirs. I'm surprised he kept the red stripe around the Trajan "KU"

tophawk1983 5 years, 1 month ago

Haha I highly doubt they're going to take apart existing jerseys and re-sew them...as if they even existed for next years roster even before spring ball. I don't like this either but really who cares.

Kettlesworth 5 years, 1 month ago

Can somebody explain to me what Rudy's has to do with KU? Sean Astin was much better as Samwise, anyway.

Queen_Krenda 5 years, 1 month ago

I want you to start watching your step Kettlesworth, I am free to make comments just like you are. Wasn't commenting on the acting in Rudys only that it shows how NCA teams prepare their uniforms each week.

Do not

jayhawkboogeyman 5 years, 1 month ago

I HATE this decision. There's nothing worse than wondering who made a play, and a football team is way too many numbers for fans to remember, especially little used players like special teams. And I don't think this decision builds team; that is crap. It makes the players into numbers instead of individuals, which I think is detrimental to the goal of building personal relationships between players and coaches and making fans passionate about the kids.

Kettlesworth 5 years, 1 month ago

Queen Krenda: You wouldn't know good acting if it punched you in the crotch, which it probably has. What about Goonies? Did Sean Astin suck in Goonies too?

I'd like to see a vote on this jersey deal. Either way though they should really consider keeping the Trajan font.

Queen_Krenda 5 years, 1 month ago

Theres nothing worse than wondering who made a play? Have you ever falling down a flight of stairs? Thrown your back out? Tried to sign up for facebook or twitter?

Look on the brightside of life, dude.

Queen_Krenda 5 years, 1 month ago

Grief almighty, Kettlesworth. I don't care about the stupid acting!!! Rudys is a documentary on how college programs are run, THAT'S ALL I CARE ABOUT.

Kettlesworth 5 years, 1 month ago

If Rudy's is a documentary then Goonies is a fantasy adventure film about some kids and pirates. Rudy was like 30 when he played, so I doubt he had much say on what his helmet was like. If TG wants us to play like Rudy, he should keep the Trajan font.

Queen_Krenda-

This is not the late 60's and 70's, it does not completely work that way anymore, sorry. Also, teams get new uniforms from the company that sponser them (Nike, etc). The only thing that the schools change would be how the player would want them to fit. You may be right about the helmets though. I highly doubt that we use the same uni's from year to year or sometimes even game to game. Also, a little birdie told me not to believe everything you see in movies.

Queen_Krenda 5 years, 1 month ago

Rudy played for Notra Dame and their helments are plain gold. There are no fonts on the fighting irish uniform, it is simply plain and it is regarded as the most traditional equipment used in sports history. Maybe TGill is trying to replicate some of that tradition and you should get a clue.

Oh and FYI, Goonies is a pirate fantasy film about kids who are attacked by an octopus that lives underground

MitchumMan 5 years, 1 month ago

Quenn_Krenda - You are allowed to post whatever you want, but you sound more and more ignorant every time you do.

MitchumMan-

At first I thought Quenn_Krenda was joking because her posts are so off, so I asked her and she said she was serious.

Phoggin_Loud 5 years, 1 month ago

All of this banter has me feeling Goonie.

Kettlesworth 5 years, 1 month ago

Thank you chrishauser200 and MitchumMan. I really don't think we should model our unis off a antiquated system as some would have us believe. TG knows what he's doing. He may not be a fashionista but he knows how to pick a jersey. Langdon font all the way.

Unless your talking about Sloth, Krenda, ther'es no octupusses in Goonies.

Phoggin_Loud 5 years, 1 month ago

octopusses are in Manhattan...in the octagon....of doom....

Chicago_JHawk 5 years, 1 month ago

Reading the nonsense (hilarious though it may be) that's been posted so far, I DON'T think we should present this thread to the KUAD as an example of the public backlash to this relatively tame change, as suggested by more than one poster above). Makes us look like a bunch of moobs.

Queen_Krenda 5 years, 1 month ago

Guys keep the personal attacks to a minimum, I have never warrented the attack.

I am simply making the parallel that TGill is using Notra Dame as the ultimate goal here. One hundred years ago or so the fighting irish removed all the letters and numbers from their jerseys and went on to be the most domant college FB team in the history of American sports. Not predicting that for us just yet, but keep it under your hat. Also, I don't think we can remove the numbers from the jerseys because N. Dame has the monopoly on that, so you people freaking out can rest easy about that one.

Christopher Hauser 5 years, 1 month ago

Phoggin_Loud - I am LMAO at work, good stuff.

Queen_Krenda 5 years, 1 month ago

And I would bet my life that a giant octopus is in the movie Goonies.

kranny 5 years, 1 month ago

No Big Deal. As long as they win, we'll know their numbers quickly.

Kettlesworth 5 years, 1 month ago

If TG wants any sort of model for our team it should be the '72 Dolphins who went undefeated so many times. Should our goal really be "let's be like somebody else"? We should be like "let's be the best we can be" and let Mizzouri be the copy cats (tigers).

Chester Copperpot, Data, Chunk, Josh Brolin. NO OCTUOPUS! Back me up here chrishauser20 and Mitchum.

MitchumMan 5 years, 1 month ago

If you don't like the jerseys (me included) then don't buy a new jersey this year. There's only one way the Athletic Department will listen to you and it's $$$$ baby!

LJW, I would be interested to see a poll on this question though, "Do you like the new uniforms? Yes, No or Undecided. " I just want to see if it's the majority that feels the same way I do or if it's just the same people posting over and over again. Thanks!

Kettlesworth -

No octopus in Goonies, I hope she was thinking of a certain Jules Verne movie but I may be giving too much credit on that one. Phoggin_Loud's two comments after yours were hilarious though.

Queen_Krenda 5 years, 1 month ago

I put the tape in and I am watching it right now. The kids say at the very end to hordes of media, and I quote, that the octopus was scary. I am reminding you now that I am watching the actors themselves say this as I view the movie in my kitchen.

Jonathan Briles 5 years, 1 month ago

Honestly I really kind of like the no stripe on the helmet and don't have a problem with no names on the back. I would prefer to have the names on the back but do not really have a problem with not having them. I already know most of the numbers of the starting players, and honestly I'm sure that most people on here do too. If you really thought about who the main players where I bet you could remember their jersey numbers. The only thing I'm worried about is the incoming freshman, but it was the same last year and I learned their numbers by the end of the Northern Colorado game. Its like someone else said when your in the stands you can't read their name anyway. Gill has the reigns to this program now and I'm holding faith in him that he will lead it in a good direction.

Leikness - You said "Gill was successful at Buffalo?" You have to be an idiot to not think he was. I know that his overall record is not fantastic but it was incredible for where the program used to be. He won a conference championship. If you don't think he was successful then you don't know what true success it. You must be under the impression that you have to have 10 win seasons every year to be considered successful but that is not the case. Especially at a program as low as Buffalo used to be.

I should have put Jules Verne book, then movie

oldalum 5 years, 1 month ago

No matter how "Notra (sic) Dame" did it in the movie, these days the team just orders up what they want from Adidas. The thought of staff making changes to existing uniforms is pretty funny. Movies aren't real, and "Rudy" was hardly a documentary.

Ben Kliewer 5 years, 1 month ago

High profile college football programs with sponsorships from Nike, Adidas and UnderArmour (yes, even Maryland) are issued new equipment on a regular basis. Nobody paints the helmets, the red stripe and KU logo are adhesive decals. Jerseys are replaced several times a season, and occasionally on a game to game basis. Nobody is having to paint anyones helmets, they just order a new pallete of "Metallic Blue" from Riddell, Schutt or whoever. Adidas can indeed, and probably already has busted out hundreds of the new jerseys. I'm sorry, but if you think someone in Lawrence is painting helmets and sewing jerseys for the whole team, you may want to look at the calender. It's 2010. Looked at the changes. No helmet stripe actually looks pretty sharp. Would rather have the 'Hawk on the helmet, but the back looks kind of neat.

Kettlesworth 5 years, 1 month ago

As I said before, my seats are INCREDIBLE so I'm not too worried about this. I shook Banks Fleming's hand once.

Queen_Krenda: So you consider one of the actors saying "octopus" being that there is an octopus in the movie? What's next, you're going to tell me there's a forest in Forrest Gump?

Queen_Krenda 5 years, 1 month ago

I fast forwarded to the end because I kenw there was a reference to the octopus during the final dramatic interview and I was right. The kids are crying as the reporters question them and threw the tears they say that the worst part was walking the plank and THE GIANT OCTOPUS!!!

Christopher Hauser 5 years, 1 month ago

no octopus, watch the movie, the kids were exaggerating to the news media.

Queen_Krenda 5 years, 1 month ago

If true its disgusting and manipuletive. I am watching entire movie right now, please don't comment again until I am done.

Christopher Hauser 5 years, 1 month ago

Queen_Krenda- my bad, you must not be good at multitasking.

Rivethead 5 years, 1 month ago

KFan: no starters have been named. In fact, Coach Gill has pretty much stated that everyone is starting all over from scratch.

So there is no way to already know the numbers of the starting players.

GridironHawk 5 years, 1 month ago

You have to be kidding me... I have never read a worst set of posts. I'm hoping everyone is posting so much because they are so excited for KU football (I'm being optimistic) . I've seen "real" football articles not get this much hype. It's a uniform change. WHO CARES. I'm still in shock at the number of posts especially the ones already giving up on the team and Gill because the uniforms are changing. Just amazing...

Kettlesworth 5 years, 1 month ago

chrishauser200: LOL! Well said!

Queen_Krenda: you're going to be sorely disappointed when you watch till then end of the movie and the dad says "sweet mary mother of god" and no octopus shows up.

Banks Fleming will start, for sure.

Phoggin_Loud 5 years, 1 month ago

"Banks Fleming will start, for sure."

How about Todd Reezing?

Ben Kliewer 5 years, 1 month ago

Kettlesworth, Not sure how good your seats are. I believe the player's name was Banks Floodman. He will be missed. I'm thinking Flip Wilson will get the starting nod. Sloth rules.

Jesse Newell 5 years, 1 month ago

Mitchum — Great idea. See the top left of the story.

Christopher Hauser 5 years, 1 month ago

There is a poll on the top left of the story asking if fans like the new unis or not, you can see the unis on kuathletics.com. Thanks Jesse.

Christopher Hauser 5 years, 1 month ago

If you guys get the chance, check out the petition entitled "Fans Unhappy With ESPN's Treatment of the Big 12." It is under the blog section. Trying to get everyone to sign the petition.

DXJhawk 5 years, 1 month ago

I think it's fairly annoying when teams don't have the names on the back. I hate that KU is now going to do this.

I agree that it is better for the fans and announcers to have them on there.

master16 5 years, 1 month ago

IDK, but this could affect recruiting. i understand the whole team unity thing completely, but i think College players who play for a school in the Big 12 and a rising program deserve having their name on the back with their number and jersey.

MDHawk 5 years, 1 month ago

Hmm...well, if that's the logic we're going to use to design our uniforms, shouldn't we screen on a picture of campus on the back of the jersey, rather than a logo? I mean, they're not playing for a logo, right? Perhaps the university seal on the helmet?

Personally, I really don't care what their uniforms look like, as long as we win games. Looking forward to the Spring Game.

Phoggin_Loud 5 years, 1 month ago

MDHawk,

The University Seal on the helmet would be awesome!!

They would look all governmental and stuff. Kinda like the CIA.

Dirk Medema 5 years, 1 month ago

Jesse - In the future, when there is an issue with a diverse set of factors (names, stripes, font, ...), could the poll be constructed to question whether an individual change is favorable or not? (Hint, the correct answer is yes it can, tho it begs the question will things change in the future?)

Check the change(s) to the KU FB uniforms that you find desirable: 1. removing names from jersey, 2. removing stripes from helmet, 3. keeping Trajon font (?) 4. none of the above

$0.02

Dirk Medema 5 years, 1 month ago

As for the helmets, I have talked with an equipment manager within the last decade, and some helmets do get repainted from week to week depending upon how scuffed up they get, after which the decals get reapplied.

Fortunately, it is not a big deal, and no oriental laborers are harmed in the process.

Phoggin_Loud 5 years, 1 month ago

Central: (i.e. Kansas...in the center of the country)

Intelligence: (i.e. University...where we gain knowledge or intelligence)

Agency: (i.e. Team...group of individuals working towards the same goal)

Kevin Kelly 5 years, 1 month ago

I can't beleive I'm writing this.....

They took the octopus scene out of the movie and left in the clip with the kids telling the police about it at the end. So while it was designed to be 'the scariest part'....it was cut so it didn't happen and the kids are just making crap up at the end of an adventure that already featured a 200 year old organ built out of bones that opens a door to a waterslide.

Trajan font led directly to a National Championship and an 12-1 football season.

Taking the names off of the jersey just reminds me of all those supervisors I had who did things just to 'shake it up' and look like they are doing something. Taking names off the jersey is symbolic and I leave symbols for the symbol-minded.

MarchSadness 5 years, 1 month ago

Adidas is sure to love this move....they are all about the old school / high school look to their jerseys. KU basketball already looks terrible in the big ol' baggy, high school unis they wear. All while historically dominant teams like Kentucky, UNC, Duke, UCONN, Texas, Michigan St, etc. all wear the state of the art Nike Slim-Fits. Recruits want to go to a school that has good gear to wear. Bill Self recruits very well, considering he gets players to come here and wear those eye sores and lace up some Dwight Howard Adidas'. That's why players such as Harrison Barnes go to UNC, to wear Jordan's slim-fit unis and lace up some Air Jordan kicks.....back to football though, Adidas has done a decent job with the football unis but without the names on the back they are just going to look cheap and lame, the way Adidas would want it anyway.

Bring Back Nike Lew!!!

Kettlesworth 5 years, 1 month ago

All I'm saying is I hope they consulted the helmet painter before they made this decision.

CrodieBroyle 5 years, 1 month ago

Just the other day me and some friends were talking about how much we hate jerseys without names on the back. I like anything with a jayhawk on it though. I don't know how ill keep track of the players now.

Phoggin_Loud 5 years, 1 month ago

Don't worry, Kettlesworth,

Every Friday, the students have a big party and they paint them.

Just like in the movie Rudy's.

Ben Kane 5 years, 1 month ago

this is the funniest thread of comments i've read on here in a long time.

Kevin Long 5 years, 1 month ago

I don't like this at all. I hate it when I can't see who the player is. If you want to change something change how gay the Jayhawk looks. I love KU and always will, but our logo looks way too happy! Make him looked mad, not like he is going to break out into song at any moment.

Andy Tweedy 5 years, 1 month ago

Dammit! I had hoped the gray pants would go bye-bye, but I guess I can't have everything. If the team wins, they can wear potato sacks and suspenders for all I care. And to those who said Gill is doing some sort of Husker throwback, I grew up in Omaha, and the back of his jersey said GILL, it didn't have a little N on it. Oh, and the Nebraska helmet had a stripe on it. So that argument just doesn't fly!

Queen_Krenda 5 years, 1 month ago

Its possible that an octopus is in the water surrounding the Ship when it is trapped in that lagoon, but I didn't actually see an octops in the movie. I guess they were right everyone, but my god that was a waste of two hours. That movie is awful.

Hawktacular 5 years, 1 month ago

Terrible. I can't stand nameless uniforms. This gimmick is bad decision #1, Gill Turner.

Kevin John 5 years, 1 month ago

OMG!

This is a stupid idea. You should of conducted a poll instead of just changing things. Afterall, its about KANSAS UNIVERSITY first right? Practice what you preach!!

Kettlesworth 5 years, 1 month ago

I'm not above it: I told you so Queen_Krends.

Nobody ever questions my movie knowledge.

Ben Kliewer 5 years, 1 month ago

What if we put a mean looking octopus on the side of the helmet?

jhawkazmars 5 years, 1 month ago

I prefer names on the back of jerseys. I just think no name looks cheap. I actually look for the number during a game because you can't always see the name. Who here doesn't know who # 5 was the last 4 years, #1, #10, #88 etc... I love the Jayhawk, but it should go on the helmet where it can be seen. And what is the issue with the red stripe? We are CRIMSON and blue. I really don't understand the need for a uniform change, how about working on winning games as a team?

jhox 5 years, 1 month ago

In keeping with the tough image of football, the helmets should have the 1941 fighting Jayhawk logo on them. It's a no brainer. I can't believe there has never been a push for that logo on KU football uniforms or helmets. Come to think of it, given the toughness of our Bill Self coached basketball teams, that should be on our basketball shorts too.

As far as no names on the jersey, that sort of thing is kind of silly. I remember how ridiculous I always thought it was that Jack Hartman would try to fire up his K-State basketball teams with new unforms for the KU game, as if the game wasn't motivation enough.

My only thought is that we shouldn't look like wussies out there. Give us a tough look.

Pharmarep_Hawk 5 years, 1 month ago

You guys really cannot be serious!!! Those of you that have so much negativity about the uniforms, have an issue because Gill is the coach and not who you thought should've been the coach. I was a senior on the team when Mangino changed the entire color scheme. I'm sure there wasnt this much fuss. Now that we have won a few bowl games and aquired all of you "NEW" fans, you all feel entitled. If you are truly a fan, cease with all the negativity and try showing some support. Evidently, he knows what he's doing and since most of you aren't former players or coaches, lets do what fans do and that is cheer and support your team!!!! And if you are a true fan, you'll get to know who the players are with or without a name on the back of the jersey.

rockchalknation 5 years, 1 month ago

I like the new look and change it represents. As the team currently works through its Unity Phase in the strength and conditioning program, the concept of team is already being emphasized. This should carry over into the fall during the season and reap benefits as a team is able to accomplish much more than a group of individuals.

Blake Post 5 years, 1 month ago

yeah, this sux. Nebrasska must die, Buffalo Gill.
I never liked no name uniforms, regardless of what team. I have no problem with Buffalo Gill and his posse, as they aim to set things aright. Didn't like Mangino's contrived firing, but that has nothing to do with this or with Buffalo Gill. And I don't care what we look like.... in the end zone.

Phoggin_Loud 5 years, 1 month ago

I had to change my avatar. It's the new football helmet...with the University Seal. CIA is in full effect.

Kevin Kelly 5 years, 1 month ago

The Fighting Fertellis!

And Queen.....that is exactly where the octopus scene takes place (when they walk the plank).

And the Goonies rules....watch it again for us.

Jayhawk1116 5 years, 1 month ago

Love the Jayhawk, naturally, but NOT ON THE HELMET!!! I think it looks stupid. Bring back the block lettered KU. Wouldn't mind the block numbers back as well. Trajan sucks!

BADD_ASH 5 years, 1 month ago

I have no problem with the names being taken of the back of the uniforms. I do hope he gets rid of all the GRAY on the uniforms. The gray facemask and pants. I HATE THE GRAY. I don't understand why we have it on the uniforms anyway it is in no way a school color. I loved the White pants and the Blue pants. I think a simple white facemask would look good. Buffalo had them when he coached there and they looked great. Bring that to KU. Does anyone agree with me? ROCK CHALK!!!

Nick Cole 5 years, 1 month ago

JAYHAWK ON WHITE HELMET!!! NAMES ON THE BACK OF THE JERSEY + A JAYHAWK!!! JAYHAWK ON THE LEFT HIP OF THE PANTS!!! JAYHAWK ON EACH SHOULDER!!! JAYHAWKS ON THE PLAYERS SHOES!!! HAWKS ON THE SOCKS!!! JAYHAWKS EVERYWHERE!!!

In all seriousness...I loved the all white uniforms (pants and shirts) and think we should stick with white pants all the time (silver looks dumb). And I would like a Jayhawk on a white helmet. If only I had any pull on these decisions. I do also think we need some sort of KU logo on the hip of the pants (KU or Jayhawk).

cre017 5 years, 1 month ago

Removing the last names are crazy. Sports today is all amount money, marketing, and then the athlete. I don't believe in the whole "an individual is no bigger than the team". Come on this is not the 80's and down with the ladies era. If you want to attract the best you need to treat them like they are the best. Give the player some respect, some dignity. A last name is not just about individual over team it's about family and where you came from. Knowing where you came from is more important sometimes then where you are going. Keep the last names on the jersey. Regarding marketing...what we're only going to sell 1 style of jersey? Come on coach, get real..this is not even NU and they have names on the back of their jerseys.

cre017 5 years, 1 month ago

barns_of_noble 5 years, 1 month ago

Have you guys heard that song: Pants on The Floor? For some reason, all of this talk about uniforms reminds me of that newly famous song. Apparently that guy (who apparently sang AND wrote the song) is now soaking up his new founded fame. I bet he's invited to the White House...but don't get me started on that...

barns_of_noble: out.

Andy Tweedy 5 years, 1 month ago

I like Bleed's idea about the white helmet, but use it as an alternate helmet, maybe just for road games. I mentioned it earlier, and I'm glad it has some support. The silver pants are dumb! Why not wear purple jerseys and silver helmets? White pants, simple and classy.

jhokfan 5 years, 1 month ago

No names, no big deal. That's what numbers are for.

Love the trajan font. Please, no blue pants, especially with red jerseys.

This whole thing about football fashion is really gay.

Omegatron 5 years, 1 month ago

In my opinion.

They should have a uniform design contest.

Have several designs drawn up based on input from several sources (both fan and professional) with fans voting on the best design.

oldalum 5 years, 1 month ago

There's no sense in talking about the font. Trajan is here to stay. It cost a lot to convert University-wide, so there's no going back for a long time. As for the names on the back, some of you must have really good eyes. I've never been able to read the names, either on TV or from the stands.

troutsee 5 years, 1 month ago

Why in the heck is everyone getting so excited. A true fan knows the numbers of the players. Without the names, the numbers are bigger and easier to see. The helmets are fine. It's all about TEAM. To get TEAM, a coach sends many messages. This is a small one.

BringBackNike 5 years, 1 month ago

Adidas will love this! KU jerseys now officially look like a mid-major. Eight man football team. Seriously....a tiny jayhawk in the place of last names? Looks cheap and embarrassing. Are we the only Big 12 school with no names on the jersey? Maybe Iowa St, thats not saying much. Please rethink the no-name thing Turner! and also bring back Nike!

Hawktacular 5 years, 1 month ago

Name should be on the helmet. Dual purpose: all us complainers that want to be able to read a name are happy and players won't waste any time trying to find their helmet on the sideline. BOOM!

Jason Spangler 5 years, 1 month ago

I'm sorry but the jayhawk on the back with no name just looks cheap. Sorry, we won't be getting any 5 star recruits without names...

Omari Miller 5 years, 1 month ago

I suppose USC, Penn State and Notre Dame fans should be as upset with their teams' uniform choices as we are. Because not having the name on the back of their jerseys is certainly keeping those teams from attracting 5-star recruits, right? I know we're not exactly practiced at supporting a powerhouse football program, but we need to at least survey the landscape before we make ridiculous claims like "having no names on the back of the jersey is bush league and will discourage top recruits from coming to KU. If by "top recruit" you mean you on your X-Box 360, okay. Otherwise strive to make your opinion a little more informed.

Pharmarep_Hawk 5 years, 1 month ago

Can anyone tell me what star Aquib Talib was? I mean he was a first-round draft pick and all! Oh, and Ressing was getting recruited by almost everyone in the country right? We have won an orange bowl with a group of non-5-star talent. And when did names on the back of a jersey transcend into victories or losses? You guys are hilarious..thank you for the entertainment!!!! I look forward to more wonderful, thought provoking debates...what colors will their socks be? The stripes on their shoes should be this color or that color...Do you guys go to watch the game or critique the football players dress code?

stravinsky 5 years, 1 month ago

Yeah Omari, USC, Penn State, and Notre Dame never get 5-star recruits. Matt Barkley secretly turned down USC because he couldn't stand not knowing who he was when he looked at his uniform. Being the QB of USC doesn't come with enough attention, you need the name to know who he is. Fortunately for the Trojans, the USC mafia abducted close family members to gain his commitment.

It's true! USC, Penn State, and Notre Dame uniforms just are sooooo un-hip. Recruits would rather wear something modern, like those god-awful greyscale Mizzou jerseys or the Oregon chain-linked fence jerseys.

This is the most hubbub about something absolutely trivial I have ever seen. Personally, I think its going to look fine.

And please, don't complain about how its going to be too much work for you to learn the team's roster. God forbid you actually have to know who plays for your football team.

mandomax 5 years, 1 month ago

As much as Turner Gill wants his players playing for the Kansas on the front, big time recruits want their names on the back of their jersey so they get more attention from scouts and the media.

This is silly.

Kevin John 5 years, 1 month ago

Say goodbye to bigtime recruits! U W Huskies used to have a QB named Sunny Sixkiller, which brought all kinds of free publicty and media attention. I never would of remembered his name had I not seen it on his jersey every weekend. I am sure the legendary Joe Montana is going to be very proud watching his son play in Seattle, with the M O N T A N A name on the back of his jersey.

Remember all that free publicity & media coverage that basketball player received in 2008 NCAA Tourney? His name was Kickingstallionsims.

scootja32 5 years, 1 month ago

This is a VERY BAD IDEA. PLEASE RECONSIDER SERIOUSLY!!!

It's a nice gimmick and I understand your motive Gill (and staff).

Do not do it.

It's not to late to fix this and leave things as they were.

Just poll the fans and see if they want names on the jerseys. I'll bet you get a resounding yes (as in not even close).

Just poll the fans and ask if they want the red stripe. . . . .

These are college kids. As a head coach, if having names on the back of a jersey is a distraction to you, then you need to step up your game.

Why does everything need an overhaul when a team gets a new coach? Stick to building a team. The jerseys look good the way they have been, especially the red ones.

Think about the fans, and fix your inability to build a team with names on jerseys.

ProudKansan 5 years, 1 month ago

Penn State and Notre Dame can pull this off. Kansas football cannot. Sounds like some sort of high school motivation.

Robert Brock 5 years, 1 month ago

Re the "No Name" jerseys: seems like a cheap, trivial thing to do. Kind of a Ron Prince idea.

tis4tim 5 years, 1 month ago

Money grab. Pure and simple. It may be spun as a "team" thing and all that, but this is a chance to profit from the sale of new jerseys. Everyone wants to have the "official" athletic gear on their backs when they go to the game. The new coach, new philosophy, new everything mantra is the perfect excuse to make some extra cash.

If we want to do something unique, lets keep the names and remove the numbers.

DocBean 5 years, 1 month ago

The only thing this accomplishes is hurt recruiting. Every recruit wants to see his name on the back of a Div 1 uniform.

Most of these kids didn't have their names on their backs in high school. It's something a big time program can offer them. Removing the names just makes the uniforms look cheap.

However, I do like the helmets without the stripe.

Steve Brown 5 years, 1 month ago

Stripe no stripe logo no logo name no name font no font:

Bull crawp- see the link and tell me any of it is important:

I have this framed on my office wall- while I like the logo and would 'prefer' the strip as we are both crimson & blue I realize my preferences are hill of beans compared to who is carrying the ball. That said I enjoyed hearing all of your 'preferences'...

Blake Post 5 years, 1 month ago

pharmacyrephawk, you are sounding kind of irritating.

I know who Number 5 is. I know who number 10 is. But if I want to know who blocked for them, I will check in the binoc's. I don't want to scroll through the program. No names always has been stupid, and I never like Penn State, who has the blandest uniforms.
When you look at old films of Superbowl giants, you see that in Superbowl III, "Namath" very clearly appears on the jersey of the QB trotting off the field while signalling Number 1. Classic.
When you talk about Jayhawk Number 3, I am sorry, but I'm going to have need of a name on the jersey. Is it all world Charles Gordon or all world Aqib Talib? I don't know whether names appeared in the old days, but I would prefer jerseys emblazoned with Hadl, Sayers, Riggins, Cromwell, Reesing, etc. When Tony Sands rushes for 396 freakin' yards against mizzoo, I want them to see his name on his jersey in their nightmares.

I do hope you are just having typo's when you are spelling the names of players though.

Justin Kruse 5 years, 1 month ago

Good point about hurting recruiting, not to mention all of the players that were used to having their name on their jersey. Look at how many fans are complaining about this, I'm sure players are feeling the same way. Seems like a waste.

Brak 5 years, 1 month ago

I've been through the desert with a Jersey with no name It felt good to be out of the rain In the desert you can remember your name 'Cause there ain't no one for to give you no pain La, la ...

Chicago_JHawk 5 years, 1 month ago

If names/no names is going to affect the product on the field, then we have bigger problems. We should all get over it. As for this being a cash grab, college jerseys can't be sold with names on them anyway (at least while the athlete is still in school) so I don't see that being a big benefit one way or another.

kuproud96 5 years, 1 month ago

Leave it to the Journal World to cut off the photo, nice work. The complete photo is available at the KU athletics web site.

Chicago_JHawk 5 years, 1 month ago

kuproud96 - click on the photo for the full version...

Tony Bandle 5 years, 1 month ago

When I was in Kansas back with Dr.Naismith and my roommate Phog, I designed a Jayhawk logo for the football helmet.

Picture the Seattle Seahawk only with a fierce beak, flaming eyes and a sharpened claw with Crimson, Blue and Yellow speed lines behind it.

I titled it AttackHawk. We need something that graphically conveys intense violence!!!

Tony Bandle 5 years, 1 month ago

Tony Bandle 5 years, 1 month ago

Phoggin_Loud 5 years, 1 month ago

Well done, Brak. Hilarious.

Let's look on the bright side, at least Kale Pick can now wear #6 if he wants to.

westernkshawk 5 years, 1 month ago

I would suggest a poll to determine the "will of the people" regarding names on the back of jerseys. Maybe if the poll shows convincing evidence that most want to see the names, it might not be too late to change. I, for one, just like to be able to more readily identify the players. Not everyone knows all the numbers!!! I doubt that it makes the players play any harder one way or the other; it is just better for the fans to be able to identify the guys!

lsteward 5 years, 1 month ago

Hate it! I can't stand not being able to know who is out on the field playing. Do I want to keep referring to a roster of team members during a game? No.

But, wait a minute . . . maybe this is a ploy by the KU Athletic Department for those attending the game to buy the programs! Guess I'll just have to print off the roster from the website and carry it with me. Please, please, please people -- reconsider this action. Keep the names on the jerseys!

I_Bleed_Jayhawk_Blue 5 years, 1 month ago

Hmmmm, the no name 'Hawks? Might take some getting used to. But it's not a bad idea is the players buy into it.

As mentioned in a previous post, I do like the traditional uniforms (Michigan, Nebraska, Texas, etc), but those have been around for 30-40-50 years. If KU changes uniforms every 4 or 5 years, what is our traditional uniform?

Being old school, I do like the idea of "Kansas" coming back on the front of the jerseys. But I would still like the see the Jayhawk back on the helmet. It is one of the most unique logos in sports, why not promote it, instead of trying to clarify whether we are KU or UK, since Kentucky does that for us (i.e. UK on their helmets). The Jayhawk logo is instant recognition.

Phoggin_Loud 5 years, 1 month ago

I still agree with MDHawk.

Put the University Seal on the side of the helmet.

Unique. No one else does it.

Steve Gantz 5 years, 1 month ago

Not sure if this has been said but,

All I care about who is wearing the uniform. If they wore pink tutus and won all their games I'd be happy.

Tony Bandle 5 years, 1 month ago

Lew, put ads on the back of the jerseys...we'll make a fortune.

I can just hear it now...

" Minute Maid fades back to pass, eludes a big rush by Kotex Panty Liners, unleashes a bomb down the left side...CAUGHT!!!!! by Coca Cola...he's at the 15..the 10...the 5.....TOUCHDOWN!!!!. That Coke can really run. Pepto-Bismal the safety didn't have a chance. Kansas is up now on Nebraska, 17-7. now a word from our sponsors."

The camera pans across the KU bench as everyone lines up holding up their product listed on their jersey!!

Lew, I can just picture it now!!!

dtownhawkfan 5 years, 1 month ago

i cant wait to go to walmart to pick up my authentic jersey, seriously with no names it looks cheap

tis4tim 5 years, 1 month ago

Oakville,

I'd laugh at that if we weren't so close to that reality already. Aw, hell. I'll laugh anyway...LOL.

tis4tim 5 years, 1 month ago

up4par2000,

LOL @ Grlenntys Chief Kickingstallionsims Jr. mention. Awesome.

kugrad93 5 years, 1 month ago

What a bunch of babies. Buy a roster/program, and get over it. Real fans know the numbers of their team's players.

Gene Jackson 5 years, 1 month ago

Please, let's see a fighting Jayhawk on the helmet. One that is mean looking! Please.

packywacky88 5 years, 1 month ago

The '41 Jayhawk is the meanest and we should go back to it.

On another subject that irritates me is all the canned recorded music played at Memorial Stadium and AFH. What makes college sports special is the atmosphere. Blaring techo-rap crap out of speakers is an abomination. Prior to the Southern Miss game, the band was giving a concert out on the hil l(Band Day), while the whole time, some idgit was being disrespectful by blasting crappy hip-hop out of the sound system. What a waste.

Please give us the college experience back and quit trying to be Arrowhead West. And don’t get me started on AFH. We have always had one of the best basketball bands anywhere, and when they sit and have to listed to techno crap, it is a shame.

I know they play some variety of music including AC/DC and some country, but it does not fit. And we all remember what Johnny C. said about that.

lv_jhwk 5 years, 1 month ago

Still can't believe all the whiners about this. My guess is that it is a one (maybe two) year thing as Gill works to establish himself and his ideas among the holdover players. If anything, I would like to see some comments from the current players about the change, as I'm sure they knew about this well beforehand.

Also, for those that believe this will have a negative impact on recruiting, try thinking through things again. No way any coach intentionally sabotages himself so blatantly if that were the case.

waldokcmo 5 years, 1 month ago

Turner had the name on the back of his Jersey at NU...I think they had some pretty good teams..

Phoggin_Loud 5 years, 1 month ago

This is the 185th comment and no one has complained that the track needs to be removed and the field lowered.

I'm somewhat disappointed.

TRUEHEART 5 years, 1 month ago

I don't care what the uniform or helmet looks like, or if names are on jerseys or not - as long as we play better football and win. And, we need to believe in and support Coach Gill's approach. I can root for a whole field of anonymous players if we're winnin.

Ryan Mullen 5 years, 1 month ago

They need to just tear the stadium down, and one of the professors needs to come up with a new game that we can also be the best at. My vote is for Squidball, the ball is made of squid, and I don't have any thing else yet, but I will think on it.

Omegatron 5 years, 1 month ago

Uniform design contest.... Best way to go.... Heavy fan involvement... national publicity (how many other schools put up their uniforms to a vote?)

Think about it Mr. Perkins.

TRUEHEART 5 years, 1 month ago

I hope that all we have to complain about next year are the helmets and jerseys.

TRUEHEART 5 years, 1 month ago

Omegatron 5 years, 1 month ago

How I would design the uniforms...

Closest example the Patriots uniform... http://kellylowenstein.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/tom-brady.jpg

Sleeves:

1) Numbers on the shoulder pads near the collar.

2) Crimson where the patriots have silver.

3) Addias logo (in place of reebok logo).

4) Jayhawk (in place of patriot logo).

Front: Unchanged.

Back: Unchanged.

Helmet: Jayhawk (in place of KU)

KURocksChalk 5 years, 1 month ago

I like the uniform we played in in the orange bowl. I don't think taking the name off the jersey acomplishes anything unless of course we have to change jerseys on players to confuse the opposition.

In other news, Quigley is back and I am really glad. I still think he could make an impact at running back. Would like to see him work on nothing but speed, though. Do track sprints where he has to come out of the blocks so that he would get used to running at the angle that he needs...too upright currently.

hawkward1 5 years, 1 month ago

It's just a cost-saving measure to make the uniform starting price less expensive, more re-usable over time and less maintenance intensive. Citing the team unity concept as a reason is just a gimmick. They need all the money that can muster to pay for Mangino to be gone.

jhawks8379 5 years, 1 month ago

ROFLMAO!!! I don't usually post, but had to related to this string. Queen Krenda - PRICELESS! You got everyone so worked up, it's hilarious!

And the uniform change has most likely already accomplished what it was meant to, whether they change it back, change it to something different, or leave it this way - it has people talking about KU football during basketball season.

And seriously, is this relevant at all? A fan vote? Really? I wonder, since KU started playing football, how many times the uniform design has been changed, and if it has caused this much uproar in the past. Make note everyone, of the loudest complainers, they will be the same ones 5 years from now who are complaining that another change is being made...

CoolDoc_Jones 5 years, 1 month ago

I;m a high school football player, and I think I speak for many that namelss jerseys are a huge turnoff for potential recruits.

kureader 5 years, 1 month ago

Some funny posts here. I like names on uniforms ... they're more for the fans than the players. It does seem like Coach G. is "peeing on the ground" to mark his new territory. It's his call, I guess.

I also like good looking uniforms ... Penn State, Notre Dame and Nebraska are great examples of schools whose uniforms look like hell.

Penn State's ugly uniforms look like they were approved by an 85 year old guy who wears white socks and sunglasses on a cloudy day ... oh, wait ... I just described Joe Paterno. I don't think Notre Dame's plain uniforms helped them much either these last few years.

Brandon Snook 5 years, 1 month ago

What I don't like more than the change itself, is the fact that there has been so many changes. I was a freshman in 2001-02, and from then to now there have been 5 significant changes to the jersey scheme for the football team. 5 Changes, less than 10 years. Hard to build tradition with that.

Pitthawk34 5 years, 1 month ago

Agreed recruits will be lost! This is a bunch of BS. Come on Gill be somewhat original. Do you really need to take names off of the jersey to motivate a team concept. All I heard was how great of a communicator Gill is towards his players. Appearently the names will somewhat block his message. This is a bunch of you know what. We need to start a petition to get the message out to Lew. The future is not bright, I know some talented high school players and they also have told me that not having names on their jersey would make a difference picking between schools. Stop playing with the names and start coaching!

Andy Tweedy 5 years, 1 month ago

Great point, Phoggin! I hate that damn track. They've talked about doing it for years, but nothing ever happens. Instead, we get more luxury boxes on the ast side of the stadium...lame!!! As for the uniforms, I hope they stay this way for some time. It's not so much that I love them or hate them, it's about consistency in a program. If the unis stay the same, that means we have some. Other than a few minor tweaks, you don't see new unis at Penn State, USC, UCLA, Nebraska, Tennessee, etc. Since I walked on to the hill 20+ years ago, we've had navy uniforms, which came just after powder blue, royal blue, back to navy blue, back to royal, a few red jerseys, blue pants, white pants, silver pants, and even a new font...AHHHHH!!! God, I would kill for a program that doesn't have to reinvent itself every 6 years.

CoolDoc_Jones 5 years, 1 month ago

I heard somewhere that the foundation of the stadium is so old, that removing the track would cause more problems than solutions. I hate the track as much as the next guy, and no one would be happier than me if it was removed; but, unfortunatly, being the oldest stadium west of the Mississippi has its downsides.

Lance Hobson 5 years, 1 month ago

Great, now there will be no reminder at all of our brief greatness. Oh well, it was good while it lasted.

Why in the world wouldn't we have a Jayhawk on the helmet?

JBurtin 5 years, 1 month ago

ROLFLMAO,

Queen_Krenda & Kettlesworth need to comment and have an argument on every single story that this newspaper prints.

That was the most unintentionally funny argument I've ever heard.

Queen_Krenda thinks Rudy is a "documentary" & Kettlesworth let us all know that we should be like the 72' Dolphins, who went undefeated "so many times".

FYI, I'm pretty sure the 72' Dolphins only played and went undefeated in one season. After that, they became the 73' Dolphins.

I just can't stop laughing. :-)

danno1313 5 years, 1 month ago

Im good with whatever uniforms. FIX the team! Just sayin.....

SC0VILLE 5 years, 1 month ago

I'm having a hard time believing that Queen_Krenda is a real person. "Rudy's: The Documentary" is hilarious.

People comparing the impact on recruiting with no-name jerseys in programs like USC with the impact they might have with KU are kidding themselves. We aren't USC.

Without the red stripe, the helmets do look cheap. Cheap like the jerseys without names. Cheap like a program in Buffalo.

Ben Kliewer 5 years, 1 month ago

Are you guys seriously still talking about this?

KURocksChalk 5 years, 1 month ago

About the names. I would feel if I were a high school player and then got my name on the back of a D1 school jersey, that it would be a moment of pride and accomplishment. It does not take away from the team, just like we don't get real self-esteem with I'm okay, youre okay. We build it with work, accomplishment, character. Some uniform embelishments might be little hawks for each game start or something similar to recognize acheivement. The nameless jerseys smack of social engineering and that will not work. Sounds like something Terry Allen would do. I really, really think this was a mistake. There are issues and then there are non-issues. This WAS a non-issue. The best thing to do is publicly backtrack and admit the error. The worst thing you can do is refuse to admit it and live with the consequences. Where has this been done with success? Anywhere? Even the army puts names on uniforms. Bad idea.

KURocksChalk 5 years, 1 month ago

What I mean is, has anyone done this in the last 20 or 30 years? Outside of the traditional teams, which we are not. I would think that once we repeat as national champions, then maybe we consider it. Start with your recruits and ask them. But we need to be able to get the attention of 5stars first.

Steve Brown 5 years, 1 month ago

Just maybe HCTG is planning on some drop outs and wants fresh uniform numbers available for new recruits.. I like the idea about switching numbers for every game so coaches don't know how to scout or prepare for our wide outs, etc.

Omegatron your post 2.18. 2:28 is spot on nice photo...you must be in design or advertising or marketing, nice design.....

Get us Gale Sayers, Nolan Cromwell on O and some more Willie Pless on D and I"m good with pink ones.

Brennan Keller 5 years, 1 month ago

I personally dont mind the new uniforms. Getting rid of the last names on the back of the uniform kinda sucks. All's I care about is winning games and having successful seasons under coach Gill.

By the way i think it would be pretty sweet if KU had a white helmet with the "KU" in trajan font and wore white jerseys and white pants. Have their blue helmets have a "Jayhawk" logo and thay would wear that helmet with their red and blue jerseys along with their silver and blue pants....

Phoggin_Loud 5 years, 1 month ago

After watching Marquette play hoops last night, they might consider some uniform changes. Hideous!!

huskercarpenter 5 years, 1 month ago

has any one thought about that maybe, just maybe turner talked to the team about this and that there was an agreement on the team to make this desision.

i'm not saying that he did this but if he did i would say we should stay out of it. personally i like having names of the back, but that is not my desision. as for the helmet i like it better without the stripe, the jayhawk on the back to me is priceless think about it, every time brandon bourbon breaks a big run not only do they have to look at his # while chasing him, they have to look at the jayhawk, that my friends is an outstanding idea.

Omegatron 5 years, 1 month ago

Design tweak...

Front:

1) Change the jayhawk logo (right above the word Kansas) to KU.

2) Crimson collar.

3) Two crimson lines along sides (to match the crimson lines along the sides of the pants)

Pants:

1) make crimson lines (either side of blue center line) a little thicker.

2) Jayhawk logo (near knees center of blue stripe)

Common lew. Design contest. Thank about it.

drbludevil 4 years, 6 months ago

Last years uniforms looked great except it looked too much like the NY Giants uniforms. That is probably why they had to remove the red stripe.

My suggestion model

I do like the Jayhawk in the back replacing the name, but it is much too big.

Home

Same Helmet Blue Jersey Trajun font. white with red outline, tv numerals on shoulders large white stripe, with 2 smaller red stripes KANSAS 2 1/4 embroidered under a red collar.

White Pants