Saturday, February 6, 2010

Henry looking to regain touch vs. NU

Kansas forward Xavier Henry pulls up for a shot during warmups before tipoff against Colorado, Wednesday, Feb. 3, 2010 at the Coors Event Center in Boulder.

KU looks to sweep series with Nebraska

The Jayhawks return to the Phog Saturday to take on the Cornhuskers in round two of the regular-season series. Kansas won the first meeting.

Xavier Henry’s coaches and teammates tell him there’s one sure-fire way to break out of a slump.

“Keep shooting,” said Kansas University’s 6-foot-6 freshman guard, who plans to do just that during today’s 5 p.m. home battle against Nebraska, Monday night’s contest at Texas and down the line the rest of the 2009-10 basketball season.

“They say, ‘Keep playing, keep going to the rim, keep going hard.’ So that’s what I’m going to do,” Henry added.

The sweet-shooting, high-scoring McDonald’s All-American out of Putnam City (Okla.) High, who averaged 15.7 points a game off 49.1 percent shooting in 15 nonconference games, has dipped to 7.7 points a game off 28.8 percent marksmanship in seven Big 12 contests.

He has cashed nine of 35 three-pointers (25.7 percent) in Big 12 play after canning 33 of 72 (45.8) during the nonconference season.

“Yeah, a little bit,” Henry said Friday, asked if he has paid any attention to his recent scoring numbers and shooting percentages, “but I’ve just got to keep playing hard. I’ve been working hard on defense, so I’ve been having better defensive games and stuff. The offense will come around.

“I think I could have a breakout game any time now. It’s just a matter of time. I’ll play well soon enough. I’m not even stressed about it.”

KU coach Bill Self has not lost any sleep over Henry’s recent struggles on the offensive end of the floor.

“He hasn’t made shots. But he’s a good shooter that hasn’t made shots. If he was a bad shooter that hadn’t made shots, then you’d worry about it,” Self said. “When he comes out of it, he’ll come out of it in a big way.”

Self has been around long enough to realize that, for whatever reason, shooters get in funks.

“I watched a great player last night they were saying was shooting under 30 percent in league play from three, and he goes 8-for-10,” Self said of Duke’s Kyle Singler. “He’s going to have a bust-out game (eventually).”

Self has been quite pleased with aspects of Henry’s game that do not involve shooting and scoring.

“I think he’s obviously a better defender (than he was in high school). I think he has a better feel on how to play,” Self said. “I think he’s learned how to make others better and play with other good players. He’s done a lot of things well.

“I do think so much of his game is predicated on scoring, in his mind he’s probably not playing well unless he’s making shots. In our mind, you can play fine and not make shots. Scorers have that mind-set that that’s what they do. If his confidence has fallen a little bit, we need to make sure we do everything we can to get it picked back up.”

Sounding confident in a short chat with reporters before practice Friday, Henry stressed that he has been putting in overtime working on his game.

“I go over film with ‘D. Mann’ (assistant Danny Manning), just watch it and watch when I quick-release it,” Henry said. “Some things I do while I’m shooting ... it looks like I’m not concentrating as much as usual. I’ve just got to keep practicing hard.”

Henry said he has been in shooting slumps before.

And after this one, regrettably he’ll at some point enter one again.

“It’s a thing that happens (to shooters). Mine is happening now,” Henry said. “I’m practicing as hard as I can so I can get out of it.”

He said it’s encouraging that his coach hasn’t lost faith in him.

“That’s always good,” said Henry, who scored six points off 2-of-8 shooting in KU’s 84-72 victory over Nebraska on Jan. 13 in Lincoln. “That means I’m still bringing something else to the table other than just my offense. I’m starting to take more pride in defense and stuff like that.”

Of course, he wouldn’t mind scoring in double figures as soon as today. He has hit for single digits in five of seven conference games after scoring 10 or more points in 14 of 15 non-con clashes.

“He’s in a little bit of a slump now. He’s a freshman. You will have ups and downs as a freshman,” junior Tyrel Reed said. “You talk to him, tell him it’s going to be all right. He’s a great player. He will come out of this fine. Once he does, he’ll be even better.”

“He’s fine,” Self said. “He’s a great kid, has a great heart. He thinks the right thoughts. He wants to do all he can to give us the best chance to win. He’ll come out of this, going through things all freshmen go through a little bit.”

Comments

gchawk 9 years, 11 months ago

Hang in there, X, slumps happen and they're just temporary. Go out there and just have some fun. I played college ball a long time ago and had my share of slumps, we all have, but just keep on keepin on. In the words of the immortal Yogi Berra, "90 percent of this game is 1/2 mental"!! RCJHGKU

JayhawkRock 9 years, 11 months ago

This is the perfect game for him to come back and score a ton. No one on NU should be able to guard him in this game.

tophawk1983 9 years, 11 months ago

Keep going hard to the rim? More like start going hard to the rim.

James Miller 9 years, 11 months ago

I agree with the go to the rim comment. Nothing gets shooters out of slumps faster than layups and free throws.

cobweb 9 years, 11 months ago

X has been a pleasant surprise, not the selfish ball-hog we all expected. Reminds me a lot of Rush who found the college game a little tougher than he expected. They seem to be getting in his face out at the 3 point line as they did with Rush. X is a better ball handler and should be able to go to the rim. IMO he needs another year at KU before he's ready to make it big at the next level.

3GJayhawk 9 years, 11 months ago

Self not worried at all? Huh. Well it is Feb and I guess X has til March to get back on track. It seems like Self would be concerned at this point but he knows what he is talking about so it's a good sign from that standpoint. We should crush Nebraska at home today so hopefully X is relaxed and can display his talent!

RCMFJHGKU

yates33333 9 years, 11 months ago

The advice to keep shooting is correct, but he needs to shoot only when he really has shots. He has been forcing too many lately. Why don't his teammates screen for him more? Or does he have trouble coming off a screen and shooting?

KY_Cats1 9 years, 11 months ago

On behalf of Big Blue Nation, I would like to extend a personal thanks to Xavier for making the college choice that he did. Phew, the Cats dodged one there. I mean he would only be the fourth best freshman playing for UK this year. But if KU is happy with his play, good for them I guess.

FYI, as a public service for any of you who mistakenly purchased St. Louis Regional tickets thinking KU will be there as high seed and want to get rid of those, let me know. My husband and I know of at least 30 fellow UK fans who come into our practice regularly that want to get St. Louis seats cheap since the Cats are now a lock to be there as a #1 and it is not a long drive. I will be happy to help set that communication up between parties for anyone here.

Go Big Blue!!!

UK Wildcats YOUR 2009-’10 NCAA Tourney Champs First College Basketball Program to 2,000 Wins

hawksince51 9 years, 11 months ago

Of course Self is worried about X's play but he is smart enough not to say it to reporters. I was at the CU game and saw Self's reaction to X's play including sitting him for over half of the game. I agree with the comment that "keep going to the rim" should be "start going to the rim." I saw Rush do a lot of that against CU when he was a freshman including a monster dunk. While I agree Rush had freshman issues I cannot compare X favorably to Rush at this point except in one area, ball handling.
The only good news is that unless X steps up his game a lot the rest of the season, no way he is a first round pick and will need to spend another year at KU. And, I hope X saves his break-out game for Monday night, not today against NU at home. rock chalk

cowboy 9 years, 11 months ago

UK guy , that regional should coincide with the opening of the NCAA investigation that will have you forfeiting your season this year , just like the others have with Coach cheat.

Douglas Yetman 9 years, 11 months ago

X is an exciting and very talented player. However, his recent play clearly shows that he needs to stay in school for at least one year. Brandon Rush did not have the hype or high upside as X and the extra year that he stayed made him an immediate contributor/starter for the Pacers.

Not too many lottery pics will have gone through a cold stretch like X's current one.

Sorry X, you need to stay in school (and enjoy your soph season as a defending champ)!

Huskerhawk 9 years, 11 months ago

I agree with the comment that we need a big game out of X on Monday night. Nebraska should all but roll over against the Hawks. I'd also like to see X take it hard to the rim. Coach Self may not be concerned but I have been. I guess the positive of this is that he should stick around for at least another year if he was thinking that way.

KEITHMILES05 9 years, 11 months ago

The thought Henry is making great strides in defense is silly. He really, really needs to concentrate there and let his shooting game come to him. He does way too much standing around and not aggressive at rebounding on the defensive end.

Martin Rosenblum 9 years, 11 months ago

"First College Basketball Program to 2000 wins" --KY_Cats1

I'm confused. Who made a game out of the number of games won? Was it the NCAA? Was it the folks who develop RPI ratings, Was it Adolph Rupp? Was it Dr. James Naismith? Or is this just a figment of your imagination, that there is a prize for getting to an arbitrary number of victories first?

One school that fell behind in the "race", due to having 38 or so of their victories waived off was Univ of Memphis. Let's see, their coach that year was.......John Calipari. Then there was another school that forfeited a season's worth of their games, also falling behind in the "race", University of Mass. Lets see, their coach that year was......John Calipari also.

Looks like this Calipari chap has altered the "race" single-handedly for the NCAA overall. Not that those two schools were in the running to be the first to reach 2000 wins. But, still, it altered the place in the final standings of this arbitrary "race" where they would end up historically.

It sure would be a shame if this Calipari was to reach the 2000 win goal first only to have it disqualified due to some indiscretions found from this year or after future years. The second school to potentially reach this milestone, which isn't very far behind, would then become the "winner" by forfeiture and default. Sort of like a eauty contest. But, this contest aint about beauty.

Lisa Braun 9 years, 11 months ago

His teammates don't screen for him because he just stands out there at the 3-point line, waiting for the ball. He's probably the easiest player to guard on our team! He doesn't move well without the ball...at least that's what I'm seeing.

lance1jhawk 9 years, 11 months ago

Kentucky may be the first progran to 2,000 wins, but it will also have to forfeit all wins this season making either Carolina or Kansas the first program to 2,000. Enjoy your season UK fans. It's about to all come crashing down around you. Oh and there is NO way you will be in St. Louis with your weak schedule and even worse RPI.

lance1jhawk 9 years, 11 months ago

Kentucky fan- How is that strength of schedule treating you... A S.O.S. of 46! That should get ya at least a 4 seed in Idaho or BFE somewhere. I guess it doesn't really matter anyway since UK fans don't travel anyway.

oldhawk74 9 years, 11 months ago

To the Big Blue Nation, don't count your kittens too soon. You may meet some Wildcats from Kansas and will take the chip off your shoulder. You have not met any realy tough teams.

Go KU!

Ben Kane 9 years, 11 months ago

well say what you want about X, and most do, but you have to admire his attitude.

Ben Kane 9 years, 11 months ago

Oh, an can we please just ignore kitty cat posters. I'm sure there are some jayhawks who troll other boards as well, but we don't need to dignify these with a response.

Jack Wilson 9 years, 11 months ago

KY Fan: You have an excellent team this season. The only way this can be decided is on the court, or course, when it comes to the current team. But the reality is that you have a coach with a one and done philosophy, and he will live and die by that. The reality is coach Cal has a history of doing things the wrong way, and then bolting. Personally, I respect the h*** out of Kentucky. I was surprised that such an excellent basketball institution would take that approach. I guess doing it the "Memphis way" trumps the "Kentucky way." I viewed it as an act of desperation. Somewhat like selling your soul for instant gratification. The thing about it is, we'll take coach Self and our program even if we don't achieve as much in March this year. And you know this to be absolutely true, you would trade coach Cal for coach Self in a minute if you could, to have the consistency and integrity of what KU has. And even with that, you know you don't want a piece of us at any stage in the tournament. Secretly, you'll be rooting for an upset so you can avoid us. We won't be. We want UK. Just like we wanted NC in the final four in 08. Here's hoping for UK-KU matchup in the final four.

jayhawkinATL 9 years, 11 months ago

Funny how we didn't hear from KY for a while. Nice job holding on to that #1 ranking for all of about 24 hours. Your talented (but young and INEXPERIENCED) players sh*t their pants with the target on their backs. The NCAAs will be the same way!!!!!

jayhawkinATL 9 years, 11 months ago

Me thinks KY is just a Mizzou fan who realizes he/she can't talk sh*t about his/her team this year!!!!

jayhawkinATL 9 years, 11 months ago

KY...you'd better make "back-up" plans for Syracuse or Houston, hopefully (for you) not SLC.

moehobart 9 years, 11 months ago

Hey I got some tickets to st louis for ya, just come over to my house and I will give them to you

LPH_hawkfan 9 years, 11 months ago

Very well said HighElite. It's obvious that the morality meter fell to the basement when Kentucky hired Cal. He may be a "player's" coach but so is Self, Frank Martin, and just about a gazillion other coaches around the country. I hope Kentucky fans dont to used to any one player because Cal will be running them through there like it's a McDonalds drive-thru. And plus, we have already seen what happens when Cal and Self go head to head, WE WIN. Kansas WILL be in the STL regional as long we take care of business in the Big12. UK will still probably be a number 1 seed, just not in STL, and actually it wouldnt matter anyway becuase I wouldnt be the least bit surprised if UK didnt make it out of the first weekend of the tourney anyway.

ChuckBerry, I'll have to agree with you now. I'm not even gonna respond KYcat. Its alot easier to just ignore the ignorance that gets posted.

bad_dog 9 years, 11 months ago

Yeah, KY, the Cats really dodged one with the commit from John "Breaking and Entering" Wall. That and the 400 point improvement in his SAT score the second time around. He sure as heck couldn't guard Devan Downey either, could he?

A perfect match for Coach Calamari. What is it they say about birds of a feather?

Or perhaps it should be "a leopard doesn't change his spots" given the Derrick Rose SAT issue...

See any trends here?

KUTPO 9 years, 11 months ago

Hey, KY_CATS1, you mentioned your husband in your reply....what's your name, Fred?

jhox 9 years, 11 months ago

UK fan, if your school had the junior and senior talent KU has, do you really think your freshmen would be putting up the offensive numbers they're putting up? Despite what the ESPN hype machine would have you believe, the best college point guard in America resides in Lawrence, KS, as does the most dominant big man in the country. Throw in a couple of talented sophomores who can score The result is that Henry gets to be role player at KU, instead of having to be the star. He can be the star next year, while you're team is replacing the Freshmen they lost to the draft. That's assuming Cal doesn't get your program the death penalty before then.

Wall, he will be a great NBA player, but I'll take an experienced senior point guard (who already has one NCAA championship ring on his finger) leading my team into the tournament any day. Do you really think Sherron Collins would have let a 5'9" guard hang 30+ on him and knock his team out of the number one ranking?

I'd suggest booking a hotel room in Houston or Salt Lake because St. Louis won't be in the cards for you. That assumes you make it that far. I've seen the teams UK is playing, and you won't exactly be battle tested by tourney time. Your freshmen will wilt once they meet a talented and experienced team.

Finally, if UK is so tough, why did they quit scheduling us annually? After we hung 150 on you, Pitino wanted noting to do with us. We are the two undisputed Midwest power programs. We should be playing every season, but your coaches are chicken. You loved the annual games with us when Ted Owens was our coach, and we were mediocre, but as soon as we made it back to prominence, and became the stronger program once again, you put your kitty tails between your legs and ran, just like your freshmen will run scared if they meet up with our experienced upper classmen in the tourney.

James Hubin 9 years, 11 months ago

Typical inbred Kensucky fan, talk a little smack, then tuck your tail between your legs and run away, just like their coach. Let's see if she has a big enough pair to get back on this board in March, after the felonious five get knocked out of the Tourney. Stick to horse racing and stay off our board, unless you have something intelligent to say. Maybe mizzery's chat board would be more welcoming to your depth of ignorance and lack of teeth.

BMonstaC 9 years, 11 months ago

Hey KYCat, Congrats on losing out in your efforts to recruit X. You are correct, you do have 4 talented freshmen there in Lexington. The problem is that you will never turn them into 4 talented sophomores. Winning the tourney takes more than talent. It's a long and tiring grind on the youngsters----it takes poise, and discipline---- and Coach Cal doesn't teach that. He teaches the get rich quick and the shortcut. No way around that. Integrity and class. RCJH !

docileboy 9 years, 11 months ago

I would love to see X end his shooting slump, but for him to do so he needs to bring up the rest of his game to a level that will keep him on floor. There is more to the game than shooting 3's. As far as Kenucky fans go, who gives a cluck what they think?

Good one KUTPO!

jaybate 9 years, 11 months ago

Saturday Petit de Jeuner:"

~X's Trifectation is 39.5%, or near what he averaged when one combines his junior and senior high school seasons. Maybe his trifectation has just tended toward his average.

~Marcus and Cole, our bifectates (bigs) make about 56% of their 2 point FGAs. Their effective percentages may be higher, when their FT shooting is accounted for, because bigs often make baskets and get fouled and make a free throw. But for the sake of simplicity, lets just consider FGAs without FT effect. Our trifectates (perimeter players) make about 40% of theirs. Therefore, each 2 pt attempt by a big yields about 1.13 pts per shot (.565 * 2pts) and each 3pt attempt by a perimeter player yields about 1.2 pts per shot (.40 * 3pts).

Question: Why not have a little offensive algorithm for say each 5 minute block of the game (the block length is utterly arbitrary at this point of formulating):

Start each 5 minute block shooting a trey. After each trey attempt, if trey % > .565, then keep shooting treys, else only go inside.

To mask the strategy and keep the defense honest, you could vary by a trip or two the start of the algorithm, or vary by a minute of length the time of the block. To make it even tougher for defenses to anticipate, you could randomize block lengths between 2 and 4 and 6 minutes.

Essentially, shoot treys until your trey shooting percentage in a game falls to your 2 pt shooting percentage, but no lower, then never let your shooting percentage fall below your big's 2pt shooting percentage.

Hidden assumptions you have to buy:

1. It is better to miss with bigs, than to miss with perimeter shooters, because the misses by bigs are more likely to result in opponent rebounds that are harder to get transition baskets on (i.e., fewer long rebounds).

2. Big man shooting is less volatile (less standard deviation around the mean--just a hunch, I have no proof) and trey shooting is more volatile, so there is a net benefit to be gained by structurally minimizing the downward volatility of trey shooting and substituting the lesser downward volatility of 2pt shooting by bigs.

jaybate 9 years, 11 months ago

Major Benefits:

It would put first emphasis on trey shooting, which on average scores more per attempt, and which would tend to cause KU to jump out to into early leads.

It quickly limits a bad block of trey shooting and so minimizes KU scoring droughts.

Putting teams in a hole early forces them to expend more energy playing catch up, so KU's gains an energy budget advantage for the rest of the game.

It would maximize exploitation of KU's frequent big-man, match-up advantage, whenever trifectates are not instantly accurate.

In minimzing 3pt droughts,it would minimize long rebounds on treys, which the offense has less chance for a stick back on, and which give the opponent more chance for an easy basket in transition.

Major Costs:

You likely miss some super hot trey shooting streaks that start after a few misses; i.e., you miss the upward volatility of trey shooting. Teams committed to defense first, like KU, seem to be better off with less downward volatility of scoring than with the benefit of the occassional blow out from upward volatility. Defense first teams should want to play with a lead as much as possible and from behind as little as possible. Big leads basically marginalize the benefit of defense first. With a big lead, average defense is enough. Lesser leads defended by terrific defense are where the real pay off of defense first is realized. Coming from behind can be done with defense first, but the less you have to do it the better.

Essense of the Strategy:

What I am proposing here is a way to "smooth" scoring within Self's offensive scheme (within any scheme for that matter) to achieve somewhat the same smoothing effect that the Princeton System strives for, without having to resort to the inflexibility of the Princeton system. By smoothing, I mean trading off a few outrageously hot outside shooting games in exchange for perhaps quite a few less bad shooting nights. The goal is to enhance the benefits of a defense first philosophy ideally suited to protecting small leads, but essentially unnecessary for the protection of really big ones.

tis4tim 9 years, 11 months ago

The fact that X says he's "not even stressed" about his recent rough patch or the criticism he is receiving shows me maturity. You know it has to bother him, but he doesn't let any of that on to the media in his comments.

He is too good to stay in this slump forever, and heaven help the team he is playing against when he puts it all together.

Clarence Haynes 9 years, 11 months ago

--KY_Cats1 Mind your own house! Sounds like there are issues there!

SCHNBALL 9 years, 11 months ago

You all crack me up when KY_Cats1 posts on this site. I heard this from a Louisville fan the other day:

Kentucky Men's Basketball: The only program that will be able to celebrate 2000 wins twice. The initial celebration and then the second go around after all of the wins under Calipari will are wiped out.

jayhawkintexas 9 years, 11 months ago

Kentucky has about as much chance of beating KU this year as a UK professor has of John Wall attending class this semester.......None.

Ryan Wilson 9 years, 11 months ago

ky fan- Since when does the national championship cover two seasons? 2009-2010 national champions? You call it the 2009- 2010 season but its the 2010 Championship. apparently if Kentucky wins they are going to take UNC's title also. Not sure it works that way.

I guess maybe that's how they do things in the NIT right KY? I don't know Kansas hasn't been there in the last 20 years.....

Lance Hobson 9 years, 11 months ago

We're having all of these close games and certainly not looking like the #1 team in the nation and X's slump is probably the main reason. We knew early that we were relying on good 3-point shooting by only a few players, so now we're exposed. Hopefully our defense will get us through this.

UK has sold their souls to the devil. This will not end well for them. Maybe after Cal gets fired they'll get another KU grad to get them a bunch of wins again.

theajayhawk 9 years, 11 months ago

There is no reason for us to be language police. With the eyes closed statement, all he meant to say was that it is relatively easy for him to do 20 pushups. We all know what he meant...let us enjoy...UNC losing another one this Thursday and they will lose one more tomorrow. That will bring the difference in number of victories down to 3... Go Hawks...Twins: great job this year with all the hard work in the offseason. Looking at next year as well, a freshman probably doesnt stand a chance of starting and hence lack of big time commitments to date.
Feeling good...while buried under 36 inches of snow in MD...

100 9 years, 11 months ago

Wow KyCats, it indeed sounds like you have some issues to resolve at your house.

For months you've come on here talking shmack, obviously a male -- I could hire a hundred pyschologists & they would all confirm beyond any doubt that your wasteful online behavior can only be attributed to being a male whose put his family beside & instead put all of his faith into something that's not real & has for months now been standing on the edge of a cliff in Lexington.

Now you blast us with this little tidbit, hidden deep in your ramblings, that...

you have a husband?????

Good G0d Batman!!!!!!

We knew more than likely your mom was your sister in law but this is ridiculous!!!!

Leave your brother alone & get some therapy ASAP!!!!!

HawkRoc 9 years, 11 months ago

Here's the deal with Coach Cal, KY Cat--He's the equivalent of a parent who spoils their kids in hopes of being their friend. Tells them what they want to hear, pats them on the back when they deserve a scolding and spoils them when they haven't earned it. Sure there will be some good times had, but respect is ultimately lost and next thing you know, you find yourself on equal playing ground and your kid is yelling at you like a peer. We've seen it with Cousins whose "thuggery" has been ignored (and most likely endorsed behind the scenes) and Wall, who is already complaining that "he's not having fun" because his coach (er...peer/ friend) had the AUDACITY to criticize him. Like my Dad always said growing up, "If you don't discipline your kids, they'll ultimately hate you for it." Coach Cal is already finding this out. So, in a nutshell, enjoy your teams success while it lasts KYCAT, because when times get tough and another loss unfolds (and it will), watch the finger pointing begin and all your touted freshmen throwing a fit like that spoiled kid in the grocery store line who everyone wants to punt. Prophetic, I don't know, but I'd put my money on it. It's what happens when the inmates are aloud to run the asylum. So, yeah, we'll take Coach Self, Sherron, Cole, the Twins and X with his struggles AND team attitude over John "hit the" Wall and DeMarcus Thuggins any day of the week. Secretly, I think you'd do the same.

Woody Cragg 9 years, 11 months ago

KY(jelly)Cats1-Lubricant is the by-product of close encounters with Calipari. Recruit? Yes. Coach? Not really. Coverup? Somewhat. One thing for certain he is completely lacking in intergrity. We in the land the game was created in just hope that Kentucky doesn't get the death penalty from this scum-bag. Truthfully it is an absolute possibility. This clown has more trash behind him than anyone in the college game. At least anybody that still has a job. Wish we didn't have to say it but you should probably grease up in advance, cause the choo, choo is a comin'. This guy has brought down every team & franchise he's been associated with. Proctologist would be a new career he could succeed at. Trust me, he will go down again. He's screwed too many other programs using ineligible players. The private eyes are upon him.

FreddyinLA 9 years, 11 months ago

We are now at that time of the season when young men start to loose their confidence. Our two candidates, so far this year, are X and Keif. Hearing how you're doing something wrong for extended periods of time can do that. Roy was good at this. We never could hit that big 3 in the tourney because the wings know they will be on the pine if they missed. By the end of last year, no one would even look at the basket from the outside except for Sherron.

By the way, my starting line-up would be EJ, 'Ron, Brady, KRMorris, and Cole. Got to get the ball out of Sherron's hands more so his wheels are not dead at the end of the game. I would also give JW big minutes. Had a nice game at ISU and hasn't seen the floor since.

Fire away clones.

dynamitehawk 9 years, 11 months ago

KY....

I just got done taking a 'Crying Game' shower. In one instant you went from being a hot secret operative mamma, to a gay partner running a probation supervision office in the quasi gay-meth-cosmo-zone. Cheap seats? Come on. You know your practice would take a third mortgage on your business trailer to get mid-level seat in Indy, girrrl! Represent. Keep it classy, yo.

CoolDoc_Jones 9 years, 11 months ago

Steve Brown 9 years, 11 months ago

lack of institutional control.

You come clean get slap on wrist, you attempt to hide and coverup you get the death penalty, loss of schollies or TV exposure, interesting crossroads for KY & Calimari.

Mr. W who took your test, which AAU coach arranged it and what are their ties to CC.

For what's about to unfold, it is critical we dot our i's & t's and make sure we are in total control of every fine print regulation, as the poop is about to hit the fan and all big time programs will be painted with the wide infraction brush.

Rock_The_Chalk 9 years, 11 months ago

To the Kentucky fan who was talking about the tickets...

Congrats. You are good. I completley agree with your first paragraph. But you can't all the sudden start thinking like you have been good for many years. Your bottom paragraph was stupid. KU will hang around in the tourney. So i would just like to say congrats, UK is back after there 15 YEAR LONG break. Good luck in march

Marcia Parsons 9 years, 11 months ago

Strikewso: You are right that we have had some close games, but you should qualify that with the fact that they were away games. The Big 12 is tough this year, and all teams are struggling on the road. We had a rough stretch there, two away games one right after the other. There were no close games before those two, and I don't expect the home game today to be close either. Then we venture to Texas, and that will likely be a close one, too. Just hope we come out on top.

dynamitehawk 9 years, 11 months ago

My darling KY... Can't get enough of your love, baby Girl, I don't know, I don't know why You can't get enough of our board, baby

Scott Smetana 9 years, 11 months ago

Strikeso says, "we're exposed".

He's gotta get together with soobawls. They would be a blast to watch the game with on Monday.

Scary to me how similar X is to Rush... just give a bit of time. I hope his defense and rebounding comes through in big games.

Mike Kendall 9 years, 11 months ago

Just like Chuckberry32, I am not going to stoop to their posts--just a waste of time! In the end, the Jayhawks will do the talking on the scoreboard in March!

RE: X----- I haven't said much about X because I think he'll pop out of his slump. Take it to the hole or get free throws--I agree, that's how you get out of slump. He has a great attitude, unlike John Wall. Wall is so stinkin' cocky. At first, I said okay, just another talented freshman. But now, he is starting to be annoying--like a mosquito that won't go away. Wall will self-destruck, along with their talented freshmen because they have no one to fall back on for Tourney experience. That's where KU will have "One Shining Moment" in the Final Four------I am saying this with confidence-------not being cocky like John Wall.

Clarence Haynes 9 years, 11 months ago

The snow storm knocked out my Directv in DC and it seems as if the game will not be on ESPN 360. Is there a web stream that I can access the game?

Dan Harris 9 years, 11 months ago

Craptucky- enjoy your success while you can because like the calm before the storm, your getting ready to be blown back to mediocrity by the slime ball CC and the NCAA!

100 9 years, 11 months ago

RockTheChalk,

good point that UK is relavent again after a 15 year m.I..A. Report.

Keep in mind besides their nice stuff during the '96, '97 & '98 seasons, they were M.I.A. for another 8 years before that (besides getting caught giving literally cash to recruits).

Before that they had a great run in '78, so due credit there to Joe B. Hall, a great man & a great coach, but they ran him out of town for Eddie Sutton (just like they ran Tubby Smith out of town for Billy Gillespie). Also intersting to note Joe B Hall, the only true man of character associated with UK bball, had his name removed from the players clubhouse by Calipari's staff. What is up with these Lexington folks?

Besides this history we've briefly examined, they've had a great 45 year run with Adolph Rupp, a Jayhawk coaching machine. And he seriously was amazing. Character, questionable. Coaching, phenomenal.

But even during that time they won three championships that the NCAA almost took away for point shaving scandals (UKs players profitted from these tournament games in. '48, '49 & '51, all banner seasons). The NCAA was close to giving UK the death sentence, but money always talks.

Oh did I mention before Rupp came to town in 1930 they had close to the worst program in college basketball, recordwise?

So the record they keep bragging about is alltime wins. This is not to be confused with alltime wins against Division 1 teams, where they are in 3rd place. But let's be clear -- that record is nearly 100% Rupp's record. 45 years of precision cut & pass Jayhawk basketball pumpedinto your program will do that for you.

Listen they have some good players this year but if the reports are true, it looks like the NCAA has already given the friendly letter to UK which means surely, like at Memphis, Calipari knows nothing about anything.

"I just try not listen to him..."

--2010 player of the year, John Wall of Kentucky, speaking about coach Calipari

Rock_The_Chalk 9 years, 11 months ago

Thats a very good point drgnslayr. Why are they even called antlers. its horribly stupid

Mike Kendall 9 years, 11 months ago

drgnslayr--- The Antlers-----nice stuff. I knew about the phone calls but that was about it. Pretty stupid!!!!

Hey, btw----- K-State won by five at Iowa State, Texas is losing to Oklahoma, #2 Villanova lost to Georgetown and unfortunately #3 Kentucky is destroying LSU, so, you know what that means----Kentucky will be on our rears!!!!!!

Chuckberry---Are you ready for this--you're at "Ground Zero!"

Mike Kendall 9 years, 11 months ago

Slayr------HA,HA,HA,HA,HA,HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike Kendall 9 years, 11 months ago

Zak Henry and Sherron Collins already having heated exchanges at half-court during warm ups, according the Jayhawk Sports Network---COULD BE INTERESTING!!!!!!!!!

Dan Harris 9 years, 11 months ago

Texas is going to be pissed off come Monday after the performance their giving in Norman, we''ll definately get their best shot. We got to take care of the children of the corn first. KU-84 NU-67 RCJH

Dan Harris 9 years, 11 months ago

Hopefully we will have an easy time today and can rest some guys while Texas has to expend a tremendous amount of energy in trying to come back. Oh who am I kidding, these are 18 - 22 year old kids !

Joel Thomas 9 years, 11 months ago

Someone may have asked this - I may have missed it among all the posts - but does anyone have a link for a live feed? I did a search on justin tv but nothing came up. Thank you in advance.

Jayhawk_Nation 9 years, 11 months ago

Does anyone know if this game is being streamed live (video) anywhere or a KS radio station that's not blacked out that I can listen to?

Joel Thomas 9 years, 11 months ago

For all our fussing how much worse would it be to be a Texas fan right now?

Jayhawk_Nation 9 years, 11 months ago

daneiorg85, you can listen on Huskers.com

jhasseartcile96 9 years, 11 months ago

Xavier is playing soft right now, and despite what anyone thinks he is the biggest disappointment to this season. He has an NBA ready body and won't go inside the 3 point line, he is turning the ball over way too much and has been more of a liability. do I think he can turn it around....yes, but just remember he can put on a Kansas jersey and still suck and right now he is terrible.

Comments like the one from cobweb drinve me crazy, he has not been a pleasant surprise he has SUCKED....if you were around in 1996 you might have been the type that wanted me killed for stating how much Jerod Hasse sucked....which he did, so let's just face the facts....X needs to play better....NOW

Alan Mills 9 years, 11 months ago

I think I'm going to be ill. It is an insult to compare Xavier Henry and Rush in any way. Rush was a million times better than this as a freshman. I'm sorry, but it's February. Our team is coming around, except for Henry.

It's time to accept the fact that everyone missed with this kid. He's not the high-quality recruit everyone thought he would be. In fact, he may not even be a D-I talent. For sure, he doesn't belong on the floor in a Kansas uniform. He cannot shoot the ball at all. He cannot defend. And, he cannot handle the ball. He is more selfish than anyone on our team. I'm stunned when I see so many comments that seem indicate the opposite on these points. Do you people watch the games? There is absolutely no doubt...we are MUCH WORSE anytime Henry is on the floor!

KUshowtime 9 years, 11 months ago

I am not sure but I would take my chances with EJ or someone else besides X. I think we should put him on the bench for most minutes and bring him out just to shoot threes.

Too many turnovers and no dribbling or driving skills. I would love for him to get back from the slump but I don't think we're gonna see any good of him rest of the season. Let someone else do a better job. We will be taking risk by using him and TT. They both are becoming liability in crunch times. This is my personal opinion of course. I am just too frustrated by these two guys they way they play.

KULee 9 years, 11 months ago

I would like to see X become more involved, he stands back as though he doesn't want to get hurt and ruin his chances in the draft. Come on X you got the talent, let us see it!