Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Men’s basketball notebook: Marcus’ nickname? ‘Mook’

Kansas forward Marcus Morris turns for a shot over Arizona forward Jamelle Horne during the first half of the Las Vegas Invitational, Saturday, Nov. 27, at the Orleans Arena.

His name is Marcus Morris, but you can call him ‘Mook.’

Videos

Self, players discuss holiday break

video thumbnail

Kansas head coach Bill Self and players Tyrel Reed, Josh Selby and Marcus Morris discuss their holiday break.

“My grandmother gave me the name when I was young. My teammates call me ‘Mook.’ Coach (Bill) Self calls me ‘Mook’ all the time,” Morris, Kansas University’s junior small forward, said Tuesday.

Why ‘Mook?’

“I don’t think it has a meaning, but it rhymes with book,” Morris said. “When I was younger I used to read books. My grandmother used to call me ‘Mook Book.’ Then we took the book part off and kept the mook.”

Use of the nickname has definitely picked up this season. Self and KU players have often dropped that name in media interviews. So what do the players call Marcus’ brother, Markieff?

‘Kieff,’’’ Marcus said with a laugh.

Tyrel Reed on his favorite Christmas gift: “My parents got me — as kind of as a joke — a remote control helicopter. I’ve been playing with it every day. It’s pretty cool actually. I like it a lot.”

Lonely: Marcus Morris on how it felt leaving the Haas Pavilion floor after getting ejected with 171⁄2 minutes left in last Wednesday’s game against Cal: “It wasn’t real at first. I was like, ‘Dang did I really just do that?’’’ Morris said. “I went to the back (of locker room) and stared at the clock for the entire game. I was hoping they didn’t lose because if we lost, I know all the blame would have went to me.”

He wasn’t surprised KU beat Cal, 78-63.

“We’ve got guys that can play. I’m not the only player on this team. When I go down or get injured or kicked out of the game, I know my team can win,” Morris said.

About Wednesday’s foe: University of Texas at Arlington has an enrollment of 33,000. The school competes in the Southland Conference. ... UT Arlington is 5-5 after its 76-53 loss Wednesday at Texas Tech. ... UT Arlington is 4-0 at home and 1-5 on the road. ... The Mavericks average 72.9 ppg with a +7.9 scoring margin. UT Arlington forces 17.9 turnovers and is outrebounding foes by a +2.2 margin. ... Junior forward LaMarcus Reed III averages a team-leading 15.5 ppg. He’s made 20 threes and averages 4.8 rpg. ... Freshman guard Darius Richardson averages 9.4 ppg. He’s made 21 threes.

“It’s a lot like watching us, to be honest with you,” KU’s Self said. “They do a lot of similar things we do offensively.”

Self comments on Little: Self on senior Mario Little, whose municipal court date has been delayed from Jan. 5 to May 19 (Little faces four counts of battery, two counts of criminal damage to property and one count of criminal trespassing, all misdemeanors): “He’s with us and part of our team. He’ll practice and sit on the bench in street clothes (during games). He will not participate. I don’t know if or when that (return) will happen. I’m still trying to get some information (on arrest on Dec. 15). Over Christmas vacation is not the easiest time to get that sometimes. I will say this: I like him. He needs three hours to graduate. I think it’s my responsibility to make sure that occurs. When I know something — where there’s a game plan — I’ll make sure to share that with you, but right now I don’t have one.”

Robinson’s technical: Self was not pleased about a technical foul call on Thomas Robinson in the second half of the Cal game, but did not send a complaint to any league office.

“No, no. I let it go. The last time I was so perturbed on a call was six years ago. I have been perturbed since then, but on a call I thought was a call that was definitely the difference in the outcome of the game, which is a pretty stupid thing for a coach to say because there’s many calls throughout the course of a game. This one happened to be a call at the end of the game. I made a big deal out of that in my own mind. I sliced tape together. I sent it off. I spent the next two, three days worrying about something I couldn’t get back, as opposed to just focusing on the next game. So I don’t do that. If somebody calls me and asks me what I think, I tell ‘em. Officials really do a good job. Just because I don’t agree doesn’t make them wrong.”

Fear the (Self) beard? OK, maybe not: KU coach Self was sporting a fairly heavy beard on Tuesday. He joked that it’ll likely be gone by game time Wednesday.

Comments

NWjayhawk20 3 years, 7 months ago

Anybody know where any pictures of Self with a beard? haha Really can't picture such a straight up, old fashioned type like Self to sport a beard!

NWjayhawk20 3 years, 7 months ago

Just kidding, just watched the interview with him...lose the beard Self! :)

Laura Hobbs 3 years, 7 months ago

Beard is too gray; makes him look old.

dcmander 3 years, 7 months ago

anyone know the call he was referring to six years ago? Wasn't there a non-foul call against Nevada at home that prompted self to run out onto the court asking for a foul? That was one of our 3 or 4 losses at home that year.

ParisHawk 3 years, 7 months ago

Nothing new on Twitter re TT. By the way, if you do Twitter at all then follow Gary Bedore: he tweets fairly often and writes meaningfully in English.

oldalum 3 years, 7 months ago

Self said on his video interview that Tyshawn had been at the airport since 8am and finally got to leave at 5pm eastern time. So he was on the way during the interview.

Hawk007 3 years, 7 months ago

Was it the Texas Tech game in Lubbock when Miles literally got punched in the face and they called a jump ball? That call was at the end of the game and actually DID cost us the game.

staebell 3 years, 7 months ago

That is the non-call I was thinking of. Miles was sporting a black eye for a week after that game.

ObiWan 3 years, 7 months ago

That's the one that popped into my mind. Though, for some reason, I thought they actually called traveling. Either way, it was a horrendously bad call.

Keith Langford was whistled for his 5th personal without ever touching anyone in the '04 Elite 8 game vs. Georgia Tech. Could have been that one, too.

Fruity22 3 years, 7 months ago

They did call traveling. Hard not to shuffle your feet a little bit when you get hit/poked in the eye.

Ken Sedgwick 3 years, 7 months ago

I have to admit, I`m a little uneasy rooting against any team called Mavericks. But I can do it. Go Hawks!

REHawk 3 years, 7 months ago

By the way, Ohio State lost to Wisconsin last night. Now just the Dukies ranked above us unless we slip up this week.

jchief40 3 years, 7 months ago

What? I am not finding that score dude....

Steve Gantz 3 years, 7 months ago

By the way, MINNESOTA lost to Wisconsin last night. I watched it! Starting your New Years party a little early this year?!!

REHawk 3 years, 7 months ago

tasmanks 3 years, 7 months ago

Urban Dictionary: MOOK

1. A term coined by Douglas Rushkoff in an episode of PBS's "Frontline" entitled "The Merchants of Cool." Mooks are archetypal young males(teens-early 20s) who act like moronic boneheads. They are self centered simpletons who live a drunken frat-boy lifestyle(or are frat-boys). Examples can be found anytime someone watches "Jackass." Rushkoff claimed that the media glorifies this ideal and stifles natural self expression, however, some people might argue teenage boys have always acted like morons(its actually a long-standing stereotype). Nonetheless, standardized conformist dumbass-culture behind a veneer of exhuberance is a scary notion indeed.

Opposite of Mooks are Midriffs; oxymoronic innocent skanks who are modeled after Britney Spears.

1. Coined in the Scorsese film, 'Mean Streets', meaning a arsehole or loser.

2. (noun) 1: A male adolescent or young adult exhibiting an unpleasant, self-centered attitude, formed during a sheltered upbringing. 2: One who revels in their own ignorance.

Justin Daniel 3 years, 7 months ago

I thought Wisconsin played Minnesota last night?

jchief40 3 years, 7 months ago

Yep they are still undefeated.. he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Steve Gantz 3 years, 7 months ago

Yes, my 2nd favorite college team by virtue of living there 14 years, did indeed beat the hated Gophers. And how about this stat: Wisconsin committed 2 turnovers the entire game!

RockChalk26 3 years, 7 months ago

Say it ain't so Wissoxfan83, I live in Wisconsin too and the Badgers are my least favorite team. What are your ties to KU?

Steve Gantz 3 years, 7 months ago

88 graduate, how could you not be a life long Jayhawk after that?! My 3 years at KU are the only 3 years I've lived in Kansas.
As for the Badgers, I really enjoy watching the Bo Ryan style of basketball, seeing him get the most out of the non-blue chippers he gets.

REHawk 3 years, 7 months ago

Sorry about that incorrect post re Wisconsin. I got in on tail end of an ESPN newscast last night...and must have mixed it in with too much Budweiser.

Robert Brock 3 years, 7 months ago

Turns out that "Mook" means, "Sit here on the pine until you grow up, Son."

Steve Gantz 3 years, 7 months ago

Why stop at Tyrel's gift, let's hear what everyone got including the student managers, the person who washes their uniforms. What about the ticket takers at AFH?

Who else hasn't shaved in a few days? I want to hear, not just about Self, come on, what kind of reporting is this?

My two cents on the Little situation. People (in other articles about Little) say, "we all make mistakes, and deserve a 2nd chance." Yes we all make mistakes, however what is a mistake? When TT throws one to the cheerleaders instead of the intended target, that's a mistake. When TT gets into a fight with the football team, that's criminal. When Brady misses a jumper that's a mistake, when Brady drives drunk that's criminal. When Mario hoists up an impossible shot in the lane that's a mistake. When Mario roughs up some people, even if one was messin with his girlfriend, that's criminal. I suppose most of you have made mistakes, because, yes we all make mistakes. I also suppose, since ya'll are such nice guys (any women contribute to this thing?) that few if any of you have ever been arrested and charged with one or four crimes. So don't lump us mistake makers in with the criminals. And this team has at least 3 (not sure of anyone else's past) criminals on its current roster.

Should Mario be let go? I don't have enough info. I do know that the Memphis coach let a Freshman McD's All-American go because he had a bad attitude.

Finally, writing this long of a post is a mistake, to follow it up Jaybate style with 3 more, that's criminal!

ParisHawk 3 years, 7 months ago

Are you calling TT a criminal based on the fight with the football team? I don't recall him being charged, much less convicted. I also don't recall him being suspended.

This is an extremely public forum to be calling someone a criminal if he's not. By the way, libel can be a criminal act, not that I'm calling you anything :)

Steve Gantz 3 years, 7 months ago

My bad if he wasn't charged, I thought he was. He probably could have been.

Mike Bratisax 3 years, 7 months ago

Just call Marcus 'WINNER', it fits well enough.

hawk_of_ages 3 years, 7 months ago

Some people call him Maurice.

(Bob Knight, to be exact.)

Mike Bratisax 3 years, 7 months ago

Yeah..Bob knows basketball but has been known to commit a flagrant or two on names.

Mike Bratisax 3 years, 7 months ago

On a side note, those remote controlled helicopters are a blast (hoping I don't sound like a geek). I have two Boston Terriers that go crazy whenever I fly one. Their gyros are more advanced than what our Air Force used in the 60s. Wouldn't be surprised if North Korea was buying them. I seem to recall an instance when one of our video game platforms was blocked from sale to North Korea.

dynamitehawk 3 years, 7 months ago

They are awesome. I fly mine at work. Note: If you ever want to piss someone off, land that thing on their desk while they're on the phone. It totally works.

Dirk Andrews 3 years, 7 months ago

"I will say this: I like him. He needs three hours to graduate. I think it’s my responsibility to make sure that occurs." I think that's awesome, and really puts into perspective what is most important here. Bill Self is cooler than the other side of the pillow.

jaybate 3 years, 7 months ago

Hunch: Little will suit up in two weeks.

Clarence Haynes 3 years, 7 months ago

I hope that everything works out for Little. Let's hope that he stays on course to graduate and he gets that nightmare behind him.

kerbyd 3 years, 7 months ago

"Some people call me Maurice." Steve Miller- The Joker

kennethst 3 years, 7 months ago

I don't get ESPNU.....no other options I guess? Well....at least I can listen and follow online on ESPN or here.

Varlo52 3 years, 7 months ago

To Kennethst

Try channelsurfing.net ... they list the game.