Originally published December 14, 2010 at 03:50p.m., updated December 14, 2010 at 09:57p.m.

Sources: Bubba Cunningham to be KU’s next athletic director

Tulsa athletic director Bubba Cunningham speaks to the Rotary Club of Tulsa in this January 2010 file photo. According to sources, Cunningham will be named the next athletic director at KU.

Bubba Cunningham timeline

1982-83 — Member of Notre Dame golf team

1984 — Earned bachelor’s degree in business administration from Notre Dame

1987-88 — Served as athletics department intern at Notre Dame

1988 — Earned master’s degree in business administration from Notre Dame

1988-93 — Served as Notre Dame’s ticketing and marketing manager

1993-95 — Became Notre Dame’s assistant athletic director/business manager

2000-02 — Served as Notre Dame’s associate director of athletics for external affairs

2002-05 — Accepted athletic director position at Ball State University

2005-10 — Became athletic director position at University of Tulsa

2010 — Reported to be Kansas University's next athletic director, replacing Lew Perkins

Kansas University has chosen Tulsa University’s Lawrence “Bubba” Cunningham as its next athletic director, according to sources, but as of Tuesday, the sources were unaware of a scheduled news conference to announce a successor to Lew Perkins.

The Tulsa World reported Tuesday on its website that KU would hold a news conference Wednesday or Thursday to announce the hiring.

“I think word would have gotten to me if that (a press conference today) was going to happen,” one Journal-World source said. “The last I had heard was that there would not be an announcement until after Christmas. I don’t know whether that will change.”

Tulsa faces Hawaii on Christmas Eve in the Hawaii Bowl, which might be a factor in why Cunningham preferred to delay the announcement.

Cunningham makes a weekly appearance on Tulsa radio station 1430 The Buzz at 5:30 p.m. on Tuesday. Asked by the show host about reports he had accepted the A.D. job at Kansas, Cunningham didn’t tip his hand.

“I do not talk about it until there’s a change in employment status,” Cunningham said. “And there is not a change in employment status.”

Journal-World sources said Cunningham and Notre Dame Deputy Athletic Director Bill Scholl interviewed with Chancellor Bernadette Gray-Little last week on the recommendation of a search committee that ranked Cunningham as its top choice.

Cunningham, 48, earned an undergraduate degree (1984) and master’s in business (1988) from Notre Dame. Cunningham has been at Tulsa for more than five years. Before that, he was A.D. at Ball State in Indiana for three years.

Born in Flint, Mich., and reared in Naples, Fla., Cunningham also worked 15 years in the athletic department at Notre Dame, where he played on the golf team.

His nickname, “Bubba,” comes from his childhood. Cunningham explained his nickname at his introductory press conference at Tulsa: “I have two older sisters, my first name is Lawrence or ‘Larry,’ same name as my father and my sisters couldn’t say brother. I was a short, fat little kid and it stuck. I have had that name ever since.

“By time I went to college, I thought this was an opportunity to go by my middle name. My middle name is Richard, so I would have been Richie Cunningham and I didn’t think that was a good option. I decided to stay with ‘Bubba.’”

Comments

LAJayhawk 3 years, 11 months ago

This comment board should be interesting....

minipman 3 years, 11 months ago

wow.. what is going on with KU athletics... first a no name football coach..from a no name school in a no name conference.. now a no name AD from a no name school in a no name conference.. lord help me if Bill Self leaves.. who would we hire as a new b-ball coach? mayb we'd go get the morehead state coach..that'd be following right in line.. hahahaha .. somebody please save KU athletics.. i think its all Gray-littles fault.. rid her from this university

Matt Bowers 3 years, 11 months ago

Bill Self coached at Tulsa and is now at KU. Take it easy. We need an individual that fits the program more than we need a big name. THINK.

Rock Chock

Carter Patterson 3 years, 11 months ago

Great Hire minipman. Ray Evans knows exactly what he's doing. I'm guessing you have no clue how this process worked if you think we hired a no-name football coach and a no-name AD.

jburvee 3 years, 11 months ago

Did David Glass have anything to do with this hire. Wal-Mart special. Guess KU is really trying to be the "Harvard" of the west. Not too impressed, but I guess AD guys aren't really big name guys. Looks like KU is back to putting all the marbles in mens' basketball. Not too smart. Good luck Bubba. I agree that when Self leaves for the NBA, we are screwed at KU. Turner will be on his way out after the next 2 years.

Bubba, please take a long look at football and get rid of Turner Gill the first chance you can. This will obviously take a few years. We should be rock bottom of Division 1 football by then. Turner Gill will not win 10 games in his short stay at KU. He'll always be a nice guy though and not piss anyone off. Just the fans who would like a winning football program.

Dan Pawlowski 3 years, 11 months ago

Well Perkins had a name when he was hired and that didn't turn out so well from an ethics perspective.

minipman 3 years, 11 months ago

srry ku strong and carterpatterson.. but do u honestly not see whats going to happen.. our football team is going nowhere because of that hire.. and bringin in an AD whos only ties are to tulsa and Notre Dame will not help us one bit once the big twelve goes under.. where is KU going to end up.. conference usa or independent? thats terrible.. what KU needs to do is get an AD out of the SEC or Big 10.. that way when the big twelve goes under we have some ties.. plus an AD from the SEC is also going to know football.. which is obviously what we need.. im sorry but KU athletics are going down hill.. except for basketball.. and we can all thank Bill Self for that.. once he leaves.. which he will someday.. KU will have nothing.. and yes Turner Gill is a no name.. winnin one conference championship in the mid american conference counts for nothing.. those players need a FOOTBALL COACH.. not a father figure.. good bye KU athletics.. hello ivy league wanna be

Dan Pawlowski 3 years, 11 months ago

The list of eternal pessimists on this site continues to grow.

Sam Brockert 3 years, 11 months ago

WOW, I didn't know we had an expert at hiring ADs on this site. Please sir show us your wisdom.

beenahawk 3 years, 11 months ago

Tulsa did have one of the largest and deadliest race riots ever....but that was 100 years ago...........

Dan Pawlowski 3 years, 11 months ago

Congratulations for the most irrelevant comment I have ever read on this site.

beenahawk 3 years, 11 months ago

Think the fanbase might have seen this one coming...but thanks for the scoop.

beenahawk 3 years, 11 months ago

Common name in CUSA Country. Not quite as catchy in WAC or Mountain West Country, which can be a good thing long term.

king_dom 3 years, 11 months ago

Not the flashiest candidate but I think a good hire. Did some solid things down there in Tulsa!

Matt Bowers 3 years, 11 months ago

Had you heard of the AD from UCONN before he was hired? Bill Self coached at Tulsa.

Rock Chalk

Dan Pawlowski 3 years, 11 months ago

Actually Perkins was fairly well known but look how that turned out.

bad_dog 3 years, 11 months ago

I'm just hoping Cunningham's hiring will provide more opportunities for you to share your spectacularly optimistic insights with us, mulaza.

Benjamin Piehler 3 years, 11 months ago

Hmmm maybe everyone saying we are headed for the mountain west were right.....

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 11 months ago

I hope we did the smart thing and signed this unproven small college experienced leader to a long term contract with no buyout!

bad_dog 3 years, 11 months ago

That's 5 minutes between posts, you slacker!

bad_dog 3 years, 11 months ago

Much better response time, particularly given the texting. Now, back to the rants!

swunruh 3 years, 11 months ago

Coach Self was once at Tulsa... He's done fine. Bubba will too.

Kent Wells 3 years, 11 months ago

Bubba. Nice. I mean his given name is perfect (Lawrence). But seriously, what Gomer, or Goober, or Cooter was busy pumping gas in Tulsa?

I guess we will find out if it is more than just a name...

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 11 months ago

bubba is going to be mad when he finds out ku is the school in lawrence, not mahattan. he sent his pencile writen resume to the wrong school.

Ben Kliewer 3 years, 11 months ago

pencile writen? do iPhone's not have auto correct?

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 11 months ago

Pencil written. Sorry teacher! But respect for the "spelling rebuttal" it's one of my favorites!

ltownatrain 3 years, 11 months ago

At least he has experience at a big time program such as Notre Dame. I mean KU could have done much much worse. Also for people saying WHO? keep in mind we are talking about an AD here not a football or basketball coach, they typically are behind the scenes and if you have heard about them it could be good or it could be very very bad also.

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 11 months ago

Shhhhhh you didn't hear it from me but someone wrote an article not that long ago saying the search group was less than impressed with his interview.

ltownatrain 3 years, 11 months ago

Show me the article where it says this.

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 11 months ago

sir yes sir

Was that just me or did anybody else hear what that strong gust of wind just whispered, that Tulsa AD Bubba Cunningham didn’t wow every member of the search committee? That’s the problem with committees, you have to please all the people all the time.

ltownatrain 3 years, 11 months ago

Okay I will give you props for at least showing me where you read this, however, its a keegan article and sometimes I wonder if he even knows what dimension he is in somedays.

Clarence Haynes 3 years, 11 months ago

Most of the comments above come from a bunch of ignorant idiots. The man worked 15 years at Notre Dame! I like his credentials and the level of succes everywhere he has been. Some of you really need to grow up!

ZDKC 3 years, 11 months ago

Why didn't we go for a big time name? I just don't understand. We don't really know how this guy is going to do, but really. Why risk it?

ltownatrain 3 years, 11 months ago

As I said earlier this is the Athletic Director not a Football coach. AD's aren't going to always be big names who get thrown around a lot. The ones who are typically at big time schools where they are happy to stay. Most I say most are behind the scenes. There are very few "big" name AD's like Lew out there and we already tried that experiment (yes he brought big time athletics and championships but also brought a huge scandal that was all over the place).

lily 3 years, 11 months ago

Exactly. Lew is what happens when you go with the big name. Let's see what Bubba can do. And enough with the nickname already. Beats using another version of his middle name.

Ben Kliewer 3 years, 11 months ago

Just for fun, let's all name some Big Time AD's from around the country! There's...hold on... The one guy...um... and then there's...wait a minute... wait...um... This is hard...

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 11 months ago

Jeremy Foley Barry Alvarez Joe Castiglione Bill Byrne
Gene Smith DeLoss Dodds

Sam Brockert 3 years, 11 months ago

good job, you can look up schools on wikipedia...

kureader 3 years, 11 months ago

The guy has a strong resume. I'll look forward to learning more about him.

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 11 months ago

He oversaw an annual fundraising campaign of 2.2 million (thanks d_p for the link) dollars . . .ummmmmm. . .yeah. . .we just had a alum buy two peices of old ass paper with some rules writen on them for 4.3 million just because he could. dude is going to be over his head from day one!

ltownatrain 3 years, 11 months ago

Ummm read his experience...actually I will post a brief part below: 1988-93 — Served as Notre Dame’s ticketing and marketing manager 1993-95 — Became Notre Dame’s assistant athletic director/business manager 1995-2000 — Served as Notre Dame’s associate athletics director for finance and facilities

I'm quite sure if he can handle Notre Dame's finances he can handle KU's.

waywardJay 3 years, 11 months ago

Yeah, Sorry mulaza.... I'm with ltown on this one. If he can handle Notre Dame's bankrolling of players he can sure bankroll ours. Then again, They don't have any conference affiliation so in a sense.... He's just as unporven there ;).

ltownatrain 3 years, 11 months ago

I say just give the guy a chance because we all know Basketball kind of runs itself and the true test of this guy will be how he handles cleaning up the mess that Lew left him with like the ticket scandal and how he handles the Turner Gill situation if and say if Gill doesn't show improvement in the next 3-5 years (and I will say IF again so no one misreads what I'm saying)

Hank Cross 3 years, 11 months ago

He could be OK and should be given a chance. I wasn't sure about Scholl b/c it wouldn't surprise me a bit if ND AD Swarbrick was in on the scam with Dodds to cause the whole conference chaos of last summer. Swarbrick and Dodds are reportedly close and the next biggest winner behind UT last summer was ND who got to keep their independence and the B10's threat to break up the BE to force ND to the B10 is now gone.

The only thing to be concerned about is whether Bubba will feel confident in this big new job to run the show, and not be run.

treidy 3 years, 11 months ago

As both a KU and ND grad who lived in Tulsa, I must say that I am very please with this hire particularly considering what he did while at ND: he renegotiated the school's footwear contract, he was responsible for a $30 million budget, negotiated with Westwood for football radio rights and helped plan and complete the renovations and expansion of Notre Dame Stadium amongst many others.

Larryville has a whole new meaning now! Welcome home Bubba!

Tony Bandle 3 years, 11 months ago

WOW...I'd call a lot of these posts throwing the guy under the bus...and the bus hasn't left the garage yet!!

I have to admit the "Bubba" name carries an implied, noncomplimentary connotation but no one said just because you were a little country you were dumb.

Step back folks and take a look at this from the other side of the mirror. Is the Kansas A.D. job just dripping with potential glory and instant success....I don't think so.

Maybe he was the only one who said 'Yes".

danmoore 3 years, 11 months ago

I was hoping to land his brother Cletus.

For God sake, just go by Larry.

phoggyball 3 years, 11 months ago

Q:why so serious oakville? Q:did lew win an orange bowl? Q:did lew win the 08 basketball championship? A: NO!

Chris1955 3 years, 11 months ago

From Ball State to Tulsa to KU for a 48 year old guy with his educational background is not the AD career path of a fast tracker. I hope he surprises me.

Sometimes committees need to shut down a search process, wait 2 months, and start all over again. I fear that this hiring may be an example where this principle should have been applied.

milehighhawk 3 years, 11 months ago

Good hire - KC Star had a much better review of his background.

I remember when we hired Roy Williams, and people were stuck on his first name...I suppose that's the easiest thing to latch on to when you don't know anything about the guy, but it's hardly a reason to form a negative opinion.

Ahperse - Not sure what your deal is, but your schtick is tired...you really never offer anything worthwhile to these discussions. We could bring in Parcells and you'd find a way to gripe. Maybe consider waiting until he's on the job before you start critiquing his performance. Just a thought...you know, to mix it up and keep the rest of us off-guard.

Lloyd Kinnison 3 years, 11 months ago

The University of Tulsa is and was a great program. The new AD will bring experiece from private and public univesity experience. Great choice. LK

wheeljo 3 years, 11 months ago

As a KU alum and life-long Tulsan, who also works in athletic administration....I love the hire! No, Bubba may not be a flashy hire or a "big name" as some people want...but I will tell you this....he will do a great job. The guy makes good decisions and goes after good coaches. Just ask anyone around town what he's done with the facilities at TU. He's a perfect fit for KU....give the guy a chance!!!

RockChalk217 3 years, 11 months ago

This is a great hire. I think that this move was football motivated. This guy hired Gus Malzahn and I think that the committee was focusing on the football program and thought that if Turner doesn't pan out then Bubba can hire the top assistant in the country and best offensive mind in football right now who he hired previously at Tulsa.

RockChalk217 3 years, 11 months ago

to clarify the top assistant in the country and best offensive mind in football= Gus Malzahn who this guy hired in 2007 from get this Arkansas. He went from Arkansas to Tulsa taking the same job with the extra of being the Assistant Head Coach.

Geekinout 3 years, 11 months ago

I'm still wondering why KU didn't go to the Big East and how TCU ended up there instead. We would be giving Texas and all the current schools left in the Big 12 the shaft and would have a chance in football. Not to mention that would already boost the Big East conference to the top of the food chain, which they pretty much already are. If anything, KU could go independent for basketball considering scheduling is pretty flexible anyways.

I think this could be Bubba's first big decision at KU. Just a thought and opinion. It's not like we still couldn't continue the rivalry games.

RockChalk217 3 years, 11 months ago

I think that the reason we did not go is because we felt pretty comfortable in this new Big Texas Conference. The Big East will definately be our fallback plan if this new conference fails. K-State and then Iowa State/ Missouri would join the Big East making it a 12-team football conference and making it a 20 team basketball conference that was miles ahead of everybody else.

jaybate 3 years, 11 months ago

This implies two things.

1.Chancellor Bernie is running KUAD and will be guiding KU through the merger of the Big 12 with the Big East, not some AD. The regents probably told her to get it under control, or they would find a chancellor who would. She hired a guy she can control.

1. Self approves the guy, or chancellor Bernie does not see Self at KU much longer without Perkins.

Carter Patterson 3 years, 11 months ago

or 3. Jaybate just makes it up as he goes along.

jhox 3 years, 11 months ago

You people criticizing this hire have no qualifications to be doing so. None of us sat through the interviews, or saw the resumes of those interested in the position. He had an MBA from ND. I'm guessing he's probably a pretty bright guy.

Time will tell if it is a good hire. There is no point freaking out over the fact that he hasn't been heading up a BCS school atheletic department.

Besides, how appealing do you think this job really is? Half of the key people from the prior administration are likely on their way to prison, and we have a new football coach with a $10 million guaranteed contract and a 3 and 9 first season record. Oh, and then there is that $90+ million of debt the athletic department is drowning in. I'm sure every big name AD in the country was fighting over this position, including he AD's at Texas, Florida, Ohio State and Notre Dame.

We're lucky to get someone with the qualifications this guy has.

kureader 3 years, 11 months ago

You're right ... people who know virtually nothing about Cunningham are still throwing him under the bus. Go figure. The guys resume is solid, and his reputation is outstanding.

Meanwhile, you're throwing KU under the bus! What do you mean "how appealing do you think this job really is"? The KU AD job is a great job! Yeah, we've had more than our share of bad press lately, but the programs you mentioned aren't burning it up right now either. Texas has more money than God, and they finished the football season at the bottom of the Big 12 South. Their program is screwed up and THEIR alumni are going nuts. Texas' basketball program underachieves every year. KU owns them. Florida didn't even make the NCAA basketball tournament last year. When they WERE #1 a couple years before that, KU thumped 'em in Las Vegas. Notre Dame's football program has been a joke in the last few years. Though I'm glad Lew is gone, I'll take KU over the schools you mentioned any day.

KU had more qualified applicants for this position than we've ever had for the AD job! The search committee obviously liked Cunningham the best. He's a bright guy, as you said. I have a good feeling about what he can do for the athletic department. It's time to put the negativity behind us and support our football program and our AD.

jhox 3 years, 11 months ago

$90 plus million in debt, with a decreasing revenue stream from football, and a long term contract with football coach that has not yet won over fans (I'm not giving up on Gill but, let's face it, a lot of KU fans have.) What part of those problems is appealing to a potential candidate? That's all I'm saying. I'm as big a KU fan as anyone, and I support them unconditionally, but we have to be realistic about the problems the new AD is inheriting. My point was, simply, that this position was not one that was going to bring out a lot of "big name" guys.

kureader 3 years, 11 months ago

I don't like debt and a 5 year no-cut contract for Gill either. I'm particularly disgusted that we've paid maybe 4.6 million dollars recently to two guys to leave. But half the Big 12 programs have more debt than we do. And, they all have their share of issues. My question was, "which program would you rather be? ... MU? Colorado? Iowa State? K-Straight? Texas Tech? Baylor? Texas A&M? Even Texas? I'm happy right where we are. The most embarrassing KU issues are in the rear view mirror. We have very good facilities and our basketball program is as good as it has ever been. Our football program is bound to improve, and the expectations for our new AD seem low. I don't agree that the search committee didn't have first class candidates. I think they had better candidates than we've ever had at KU for this position. And, I think Cunningham was a first class candidate. His experience at Norte Dame and as AD at two universities is impressive. I expect he'll do a fine job at KU. I just hope the ND job doesn't become available to him.

jaybate 3 years, 11 months ago

You make some interesting points.

But I can only try to imagine myself in the position of being an AD candidate looking for a job and thinking: wow, this would be great! The program has been investigated up one side and own the other in a way most programs never are. And all they found were 6 employees with their fingers in the till, plus a dynamic former AD who did all the hard work of upgrading the infrastructure, and, again, after being investigated up one side and down the other, all they found was that he accepting some excercise equipment for a brief period and then returned it with a check for the time used.

To me, the KU AD job is now one of the best, safest career moves an AD candidate could make. Basically, all he has to do is keep the floors swept and the lights on and hire an outside accounting firm to audit the books every two years and he gets to spend the rest of his time schmoozing over a 9 iron about raising money for this or that incidental thing. Oh, and he's got a chastened Chancellor above him backing him on every thing he does conservatively to stay within the rules. Lastly, he's coming into a school in a B12 conference that is either going to merge with the Big East and become perhaps the premier super conference in America, or wind up in the low pressure C-USA.

Really, they can interview me online tonight for the job! I will take it tonight, too, without even doing any leg work and political analysis. The Justice Department has already given me all the confidence I need.

minipman 3 years, 11 months ago

wow.. what is going on with KU athletics... first a no name football coach..from a no name school in a no name conference.. now a no name AD from a no name school in a no name conference.. lord help me if Bill Self leaves.. who would we hire as a new b-ball coach? mayb we'd go get the morehead state coach.. hahahaha .. somebody please save KU athletics.. i think its all Gray-littles fault.. rid her from this university

Clarence Haynes 3 years, 11 months ago

Lay off the Chancellor! The problems began way before her time and you know this! I She is methodically cleaning up the crap that others have left.

RockChalk217 3 years, 11 months ago

I cannot tell if you are being serious or kidding. You sound ridiculously frantic. Turner Gill was such a no name coach that he turned around the worst team in college football in Buffalo. The MAC is such a no name conference that it produced Brian Kelly and Urban Meyer. Bill Self came from Tulsa. Boy what a terrible hire by Illinois what was their athletic department thinking. Athletic Directors do not have to be big names. This guy helped manage the budget at Notre Dame which is not very easy. Bubba Cunningham is a good hire. This guy lured Gus Malzahn from Arkansas to Tulsa where Gus took the exact same position. I hate how everybody gets on Turner Gill and blames him for everything. Entirely new staff and a talent-low team does not usually equal bowl game. Football programs take a long time to develop. Look at Missouri. It took Gary Pinkel to get that program to be a (hate to admit it) a good, consistent football program. Give Turner sometime and if he doesn't produce then we can fire him. Don't abandon him after a 3-9 season.

Ben Kliewer 3 years, 11 months ago

Minipman, you thought your words were so nice, you wrote them twice?

oldalum 3 years, 11 months ago

You wanted to be first and last with this same post?

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 11 months ago

I guess I just think we are bigger/better to be hiring "time will tell" guys!

jayhawk4life15 3 years, 11 months ago

sounds like a good, solid hire. after reading his bio, it looks like bubba has done well everywhere he has been and Tulsa has had the most athletic department success since C USA formed. he has valuable experience that seems like it will translate well to KU. GO JAYHAWKS!

hailtoku 3 years, 11 months ago

The only thing saving this school from losing hundreds of millions of dollars is the Big 12.

***WARNING BOLD COMMENT**

The Big 12 conference is more important to this school than Bill Self.

jaybate 3 years, 11 months ago

That is unfortunate, because the B12 cannot survive...unless it merges with a conference with an Eastern Time Zone footprint that seeks a midwestern time zone foot print, and would benefit from aligning with the BCS credentials of the B12 schools, with or without UT-Austin and TA&M.

The optimal move is to merge the entire B12 with the Big East, which already has TCU and Marquette and DePaul in the midwest. Notre Dame then joins the eastern division of the merged Big East/B12 and the annual title game could often pit OU, or TU, vs. Notre Dame, or one of the existing Big East football schools. This would enable Syracuse to ramp up its football too.

This would be the premier basketball conference, also.

And the thing would simply dominate media rating. The Pac Ten would be crazy not to join.

Not to follow this path, which is no doubt where Perkins was taking KU and the B12, is to ensure the Texas schools go with the SEC, and the B12 remnants wind up cherry picked by the Big Ten (MU) and the rest in Conference USA, or something worse.

Krohnutz 3 years, 11 months ago

Never gonna happen, as long as God refuses to answer my prayers to swallow up UT into the earth.

Ben Kliewer 3 years, 11 months ago

What if every team in the country just merged up to a 120 team superconference!

RockChalk217 3 years, 11 months ago

Turner Gill is in a rebuilding project. You don't fire a guy one season into his rebuilding project you give him time. And if you fire him why wouldn't you look to a guy your familiar with. Like Todd Graham or Gus Malzahn. Bonnie would be interesting because she is not really putting up numbers that deserve a firing.

Dyrk Dugan 3 years, 11 months ago

it's a solid hire...and frankly one we needed. He has a good background at Notre Dame....darn near did everything there, except be an assoc. AD for a sport....then hired Brady Hoke at Ball St...and all he's ever done is produce the greatest football season in Ball St. history...and now he has San Diego St. flying high.

and now Tulsa....they're in one of their best all around sports success...as they've ever been...and definitely one of the best in their league. and football certainly has improved.

when he was first mentioned...i figured he was as good as anybody...and he's had a lot of midwest background....thank Christ we didn't hire the K-State grad.

Welcome Bubba!

Kevin John 3 years, 11 months ago

Why didn't Kansas go after Jim Livengood?

Livengood, who formerly was the chair of the NCAA Division I men's basketball Selection Committee.

KU_FanSince75 3 years, 11 months ago

Anyone with a name like "Lawrence" or "Bubba" has to be good, right?

I wonder how he feels about the football program and Coach Gill? You know someone is going to ask that when he is introduced.

In honor of one of my favorite TV series, I say, "Welcome aboard, Bubba!"

www.youbube.com/watch?v=jPe9TfrxBjs&feature=related

Enjoy Lawrence, KS!

KU_FanSince75 3 years, 11 months ago

Sorry folks---let me try again--- One of my favorite TV shows of which they decided to cancel, of course:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPe9TfrxBjs

Phil Minkin 3 years, 11 months ago

To the new AD in words you can understand: "Git'er done!"

kcglowboy 3 years, 11 months ago

Let's all keep in mind: NOBODY has confirmed this. All of our local media outlets are quoting a Tulsa media outlet. I give Keegan credit for acknowledging that the Journal-World hasn't confirmed anything. So before we get too wrapped up in this story, let's all pause and remember all the erroneous news stories last spring about conference realignment, and recall that about 95 percent of the "reports" showing up in local media outlets were using OTHER MEDIA OUTLETS as their sources. And more than a few times, some media outlets were citing other media outlets' reports of RUMORS, and calling it news.

jimshorts 3 years, 11 months ago

What? Tom Keegan DID confirm this. That's exactly what he and Matt Tait are reporting here. The only thing they haven't confirmed is when a press conference will be.

I think you're confused as to what you're reading.

And other media outlets that don't have sources are saying there are REPORTS, not RUMORS, of this. You're mixing up a lot of terms here.

KU_FanSince75 3 years, 11 months ago

@ kcglowboy---good point---we all don't want to look like fools.

rob4lb 3 years, 11 months ago

It is interesting to read these posts. I'm not sure who some of you expected KU to hire. Objectively, KU has a mid-level athletic program in a major conference. You are not going to get a big name to come here. Why would someone with Florida, Texas or Ohio State ties come to KU? If you would be happy with an assistant from one of those programs, you should be happy with Cunningham. Notre Dame probably has a Top 10 overall athletic program. Football has been down a little, but the overall programs are strong.

I want to make sure we are in a stronger position if conference realignment continues and I can't tell if Cunningham's contacts and ties strengthens KU's position.

The Big 12 is fairly stable because Texas is happy. I live in Texas and will tell you the school that can make of break the Big 12 is not Texas, it's A&M. They could make a jump to the SEC (UT will never go to the SEC) and if that happens, I think the conference is in trouble.

bad_dog 3 years, 11 months ago

And look! OMG, he wears shirts with button-down collars! According to KSA (the poster with the Kansas statutory reference for indecent liberties with a child as his/her/its losername), that's a certain sign he's an unrefined hick that owns a closet filled with camouflage apparel. Now I understand the source of his disdain...

This is also the poster that commented Bill Self should have had Mario Little intentionally miss both free throws at the end of the UCLA game because that was the sporting thing to do and so he (KSA) could watch 5 minutes of overtime.

If you peruse KSA'a comments, do so with caution and consider the source, folks.

KSA, if you perceive the KU ship is sinking, please feel free to leave. That's what rats do, isn't it?

Chris Bruning 3 years, 11 months ago

all i gotta say is he better leave Coach Self alone and let him do his thing. We do not need another roy williams situation. can't remember that AD's name...al somthing

Ray March 3 years, 11 months ago

If we do hire him, he's got to drop the "BUBBA".

That's not going to work.

danmoore 3 years, 11 months ago

I'd rather join the ACC. It would be great playing against Duke and UNC and this is a conference we can compete against in football. We've already beaten VAtech, Duke and GAtech. Make it happen Larry.