Sunday, December 13, 2009

It’s official: Turner Gill announced as KU’s next football coach

Turner Gill, in this undated photo, started his coaching career as an understudy to Nebraska football coach Tom Osborne and ascended to assistant head coach under Frank Solich.

Kansas athletic director Lew Perkins announced in a statement Sunday that former University of Buffalo coach Turner Gill will be the next head football coach at Kansas University.

A formal press conference will take place at 11 a.m. Monday.

“Turner Gill is a winner,” Perkins said in the release. “His accomplishments at Buffalo speak for themselves. But more than that, everyone I talked to about him, starting with (former Nebraska coach) Tom Osborne, had the highest praise for Turner as a coach and as a person.”

Gill has been coach at Buffalo the last four seasons, earning MAC coach of the year honors in 2007 and 2008.

Comments

Jayhawk1116 8 years, 10 months ago

"I just want an opportunity to show you that I'm better than what you think I am".

jcsmith 8 years, 10 months ago

Well, Welcome Coach Gill. I'm sure you'll see all us fans will get behind you at some point in time. Just prove to us in the off season that you are our man and most of us will have no problem doing that.

matthew2600 8 years, 10 months ago

Now that it's official, we need to move on. We don't need to criticize Turner's record, Lew's motives or why Mangino was fired. Basketball team is sick, we may have a rebuilding year in football but that happens. The negative posters need to move to Columbia, Manhattan, etc.

DocBean 8 years, 10 months ago

"His accomplishments at Buffalo speak for themselves..."

Really? a 20-30 record against inferior MAC coaches, and inferior MAC opponents, don't give me a lot of confidence that he's ready for to run with the other coaches in the Big XII.

He seems like a great guy. I just hope he's a great coach.

I'm also hoping that Harbaugh leaves for the NFL in a few months and Stanford is searching for a new coach.

GilbertAZ 8 years, 10 months ago

Great hire for KU. Write that down. In a couple years, people will be begging him not to leave.

Nick Cole 8 years, 10 months ago

I might be a little skeptical, but I am very optimistic. As I was with the basketball team last year, I am looking forward to watching Turner Gill and this KU team grow. If Gill is as good of a recruiter as advertised, maybe KU can finally get some 5 star (and a few more 4 star) recruits, which MM could not seem to bring in.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk!!

Dirk Medema 8 years, 10 months ago

Welcome aboard Coach Gill.

As for next year, we do lose some great players, but we return the entire O-line, one of the best returning RB's in the Big12, and quality players else where as well. Plus, we now have a coach that will motivate the players to perform their best (vs. demoralize them). I expect the Hawks to be improved next year with Coach Gill leading the way, and that he will get a public shower on the sidelines of a bowl game.

Has he called Blake Bell and Justin McCay yet?

Rock Chalk

Mike Tackett 8 years, 10 months ago

LP you better hope his 20-30 record doesn't speak for itself. Rounded off to Big 12 numbers I think that works out to be 2-10 next year. Good bye LP, it wasn't nice to know ya. KU has a much greater interest in a great guy, than even a good coach. How's that "hope and chains" workin out for ya.

Jeremy LeMaster 8 years, 10 months ago

Welcome aboard HCTG! I have been a critic; now that you are our man I stand behind you!

Rock Chalk!

suttonku 8 years, 10 months ago

Stop looking at this man's record! It doesnt show how good of a coach he really is. Buffalo was crap before he got there and he turned it around. In fact, Buffalo was considered to be the worst place to coach! This guy will get us great athletes and hes a great coach. He does have great accomplishments including winning the MAC in 2008 and going to a bowl for the first time in 50 years at Buffalo! Stop being fair-weather fans. There is nothing you can do to change the situation and we should all be behind Coach Gill.

MrPilot 8 years, 10 months ago

Welcome to KU, Coach Gill! May your accomplishments be many and your career filled with success. Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

KU 8 years, 10 months ago

Welcome to Jayhawk Nation, Coach Gill. We look forward to next season! My season ticket order has already been processed. My kids bleed Crimson and Blue, like your daughter.

Guys, let's do some research and see what kind of offense Chuck Long will run and what type of defense Carl Torbush will put in place.

loudog 8 years, 10 months ago

Welcome Coach Gill. I hope you can do great things with this football team.

What I want to know, though, is why did this take so long? It sounds like Coach Gill was Lew's man from the beginning, and he interviewed a week ago. Why the week of secrecy and rumors? If he was Lew's man from the beginning, why mess around? Why not hire him last Sunday or Monday after interviewing him and let's move on to the Turner Gill era right away and hopefully not lose recruits. Instead Jayhawk fans are treated to a week of "it's Gill; no, it's Nutt, no, it's Harbaugh, no, it's Tubberville, no, the search is ongoing and blah, blah, blah... AAARGGHHH!!

If Coach Gill was gonna be the man, he should have been the man A WEEK AGO!!!

atexasjhawk 8 years, 10 months ago

Unbelievable. This hire will be a mistake. Gill will be like Ron Prince, a questionable hire and then gone after two years of mediocrity.

jmason 8 years, 10 months ago

The hiring of Turner Gill was a good move, however, Gill has already made his first mistake by bringing in Chuck Long as OC. Be ready for some bland offense, lots of runs up the middle. Poor decision.

justinryman 8 years, 10 months ago

I am behind this hire, I like this hire. Hey maybe the first two years will be rough, usually in coaching changes things are tough in football, look around. Same goes in bussiness as well. Lets give him a chance and see what the future holds.

I feel good things coming for our program, our school and that means winning the Big 12 North, competeing against the South for the Big 12. That means BCS $$$, that means better recruits.

Welcome back to the Big 12 Coach Gill, good luck.

Mkultra 8 years, 10 months ago

Noooooooo! 20-30 in a marginal conference! Over under on number of games won next year is 4 and that might be generous place your bets now! We will be rebuilding for years way to go boys!

jayhawkinATL 8 years, 10 months ago

Chuck Long was a pretty successful OC at OU. His 2003 offense set the Big 12 scoring record of 51.5 points a game. Not too bland to me!!!

justinryman 8 years, 10 months ago

A coach has been hired.

STOP your crying about who it is. Be an adult stand behind him, support him or go cheer for someone else. Please.

You are being two faced rediculous fans.

jmason 8 years, 10 months ago

I hope it is like that year but as his career continued at OU, people were begging Stoops to get rid of him for his lack of imagination with his play calling. Also, pretty bad run at San Diego State as well. Not convinced that this is the right move for the Offense, oh well Toben will definitely get a lot of carries in this offense.

Mkultra 8 years, 10 months ago

Just because I am a KU fan does not me I must agree with everything they do. What you describe is being a member of a cult where you blindly follow the leader. If after a few years of mediocrity under Turner Gill maybe you will agree you were wrong but I wouldn't count on it

KU 8 years, 10 months ago

I hope Gill has called the defensive end from Hutch already (Grissom?). That kid would definitely help turn around KU's defense. We can't let LSU swipe him away.

We need to lock down our verbal commits and hit a couple of homeruns with kids Mangino couldn't land.

Hopefully, we keep

Karen Mansfield-Stewart 8 years, 10 months ago

"Turner Gill is a winner." Despite his losing record. In a lesser conference. Yay!

justinryman 8 years, 10 months ago

Didn't anyone's mom teach them if they didn't have anything nice to say that they shouldn't say anything at all?????

KGphoto 8 years, 10 months ago

Hey, he looks good in blue.

Nice to see a coach who the players can respect when he tells them to do wind sprints. Nice to see a coach who understand physicality.

Mkultra 8 years, 10 months ago

Our head coach is a loser that is FACT! You can qualify it and spin it all you want saying "oh he was coaching the worst program on earth so it doesn't count" but he has a losing record as a head coach 20-30 and that is not debatable.

Michael Leiker 8 years, 10 months ago

For some reason I thought we were trying to bring in a guy that could take the program to the next level, not a program builder. Wasn't that the idea? This seems to have severly missed the mark. I agree with the posters that say why would you bring in a proven loser to coach this program right now? I have a bad feeling that this guy will not be able to cut it in the Big XII. Great, nice guy, we've seen where that got us before.

Paolaksjhawk 8 years, 10 months ago

Welcome to Kansas HCTG! I would love to know the number of the "experts" on this site that have ever coached a football game in their life. I am not talking about college I would be impressed it they even coached a little league team.

tical523 8 years, 10 months ago

I really hope and think that coach Gill could get Jacoby Walker back, after decommitting and he now has a solid verbal with Utah. He is a great dual threat quarterback out of Texas and Gill coached two Heisman winning, and possibly two of the greatest dual threats qb's of all time: Tommy Frazier and Eric Crouch. Gill was himself a great dual threat quarterback and is also from Texas. . . it seems that this would be a very, very, very promising hire from Jacoby Walker's point of view. And no matter what your opinion, because I try to see both sides, and I do see both sides (Tuberville would have been great), at least show up at Memorial Stadium next year yelling and going freakin nuts!! At least give Gill a good Jayhawk welcome, if we suck over the next few years then yell as loud as you can to get him out. Welcome coach, and Rock Chalk.

BCRavenJHawkfan 8 years, 10 months ago

Probably nothing more than a "safe" choice. A "players" coach.

justinryman 8 years, 10 months ago

Michael Leiker 8 years, 10 months ago

All the mindless fall in line and get behind the new people can go away justin. We were at the KU bball game where NU announced Callahan as head coach, whole place was complaining about it for during the first half. At halftime, all the complainers "got in line" and look where it got them. Square peg, round hole for this hire.

Hawk1969 8 years, 10 months ago

Welcome to KU Mr. Gill. The future looks bright.

Todd Conner 8 years, 10 months ago

Let's let the guy at least have a year and see what he does before we start saying how horrible of a hire he is. Good luck Coach & welcome to Lawrence.

justinryman 8 years, 10 months ago

Well if you can't get behind the new guy LEILNESS who do you get behind???? And who is Callahan? I beleive you are trying to make a bad reference to the bad hire that NU AD Steve Pederson made at NU back in 2003, in trying to compare him to Gill. Wow thats really bad comparrison. But I get it, you are an uneducated football fan like most Nebraska football fans, so no biggie.

babyjay1 8 years, 10 months ago

WELCOME HC Turner Gill. Please ignore all the KU fan "pretenders" who wouldn't be happy no matter what. Jayhawk Nation is happy to welcome you aboard! So excited for the 2010 fb season and all that it may hold. You may now begin bleeding crimson & blue like most hard core Jayhawk fans!!! Rock Chalk!!!!!!

gardenjay 8 years, 10 months ago

Welcome to Lawrence! Just ignore the negative fans Mr. Gill, they will come around too. One part of their thinking that is missing is trend analysis. Fortunately our faithful AD Lew may have studied in this area.... well..... anyway we'll go with his instincts, although human instincts can be quite unsettling as we have seen. This hire is part of his positive, constructive instincts thinking, and there have been no problems that I know of in that area.

Goodbye Mangino, and thank you for building our program. Now Lew, get back to suing Joe College ad infinity, your attorneys are starving and need to eat.

Brandon Avey 8 years, 10 months ago

I wasn't up for this move at first but it is what LP thought was best for the Jayhawks. I am now behind Coach Gill all the way. Is it confirmed Chuck Long will be our next OC? I hope we stick with the spread. Welcome to the KU family Coach Gill, Rock Chalk!!

rockchalkjayhawkku 8 years, 10 months ago

Welcome back to the conference and to KU, Mr. Gill!

Mkultra 8 years, 10 months ago

Jusinryman I will cheer or jeer whomever I please without approval or consent by you. Feel free to drink the Jim Jones Kool-Aid but I for one will not. We needed a proven winner as a coach. That is my opinion. Sure we will give him a chance. After his first season is a disappointment we will give him another year and perhaps another. Then we will have to find a coach again perhaps one we could of hired right now. Of course this is sports we could go 13-0 and win the national championship his first year right? Yes it is possible but it is also possible that you can run through a wall (really).

"Mkultra, go cheer for another team please, you are the real loser here, not giving anyone a chance. I mean who did you want KU to hire? Mac Brown? Chip Kelly? Who was your man of choice?

Sorry I can't be nice any more, enough of the bashing, stand up, stand next to head coach Turner Gill and watch hime build this program into a bigger stronger program that has to be dealt with each and every season, not just one out of every 57."

Thomas Michaud 8 years, 10 months ago

While the Nostradamus effect has taken root in some, I'm behind the hire and look forward to seeing what Mr. Gill can accomplish given the chance to recruit to a more hospitable location from Texas. Given he's changed a culture at the University of Buffalo, I believe he can do the same here; something Mangino accomplished (having KU faithful talking football during on and off season).

I hope the University of Buffalo can continue their turn-around with another coach as equally committed as Mr. Gill was; as I'm thankful to their players wishing him the best and understanding of his departure.

IF, and this is a big IF, this hire is as inept as some have made it out to be, I'll be the first to admit I was wrong in believing Mr. Gill will develop KU's football program into a major contender; but I hope those who see the demise of KU football would do the same if Mr. Gill proves himself to be the man many of us see as the right person (no matter of race, creed, or record) for the job.

Rock Chalk, Jayhawk, KU!

troutsee 8 years, 10 months ago

hoosierhawk74--do you ever post anything positive? I for one am sick of your negative posts. Hope you stay in Indiana.

Welcome Turner Gill and good job Lew. Let's get ready for a winning season in 2010. I think we will have one. We've got the players to do it.

Jayhawksrule2009 8 years, 10 months ago

BAD BAD MOVE BY THE KANSAS JAYHAWKS REALLY REALLY BAD MOVE

Mkultra 8 years, 10 months ago

Jmfitz. Is our new coach not a proven loser? The scoreboard reads 20 Home 30 Away. He can have his chance. If past performance is not indicative of future results we are in good shape I suppose. Maybe it was the COLD of Buffalo as some have speculated after all which is why he could not win. This is an awful big gamble. Gill is a step down from Mangina (sic)

" Mkultra come on man...you're making a fool of yourself. the only negative things i've heard about this guy are from morons like you that dont have a profession in athletics. your opinion doesn't matter. its like a down syndrome child trying to explain math to a rocket scientist. doesn't make since. everything he's done in the past is erased at this point and doesn't matter. all we need to know is 1.) he's one hell of a recruiter, 2.) he's got great character (unlike mark mangino), and 3.) he's a our new head coach. this guy will not only win us games but he will sell the program. mangino couldnt and didnt do that. rock chalk! and again...have faith people!! "

Jayhawksrule2009 8 years, 10 months ago

billhawk (anonymous) says...

LOL...You so got to be kidding me Turner Gill is a L-O-S-E-R as a coach. 20-30 at Buffalo. Give me a break

ydoow53 8 years, 10 months ago

Wow!!!! This is the grand slam that the Jayhawk nation was waiting for to take them to the promise land. Let's see, down three, bases loaded, two out in the bottom of the ninth, seventh game of the world series with the home run champion coming to bat, but wait, Lew's going to the bench. Who does he send to the plate but a minor leaguer. Lots of luck Lew, your goose is cooked, pack your bags, and Thanks to coach Mangino for several great years of Jayhawk football.

justinryman 8 years, 10 months ago

It's not Armageddon. But for those who think it is, don't worry December 12, 2012 is only 3 years away. I will be more than gladly take your season tickets off your hands at a highly discounted price. Oh wait Im sure you don't have any for football.

jmason 8 years, 10 months ago

With all of this negativity, one question should be asked. Who should have been hired instead of Gill? And please let's be realistic people.

Mkultra 8 years, 10 months ago

An assistant coach that has never been a head coach before is another matter entirely. Their head coaching record is 0-0 so they are unproven. BF Mangina (sic) proved he could win some big games (see 2007 record) but if Lew had not publicized his witch hunt because he had decided to get rid of him for whatever reason we probably could still keep him.

Yeah Gills coaching experience is 20-30 in a backwater conference playing against really bad and average competition is a step down from Mangina (sic) right?

Gill is a PROVEN LOSER 20-30. You can ignore the record all you want but numbers matter in this silly game. You know wins and losses?

Jayhawk1116 8 years, 10 months ago

Alright, I've had it. I'm sick of jacka$$es pointing to the 20-30 record. Mangino's first 4 years here were 19-29. Do you know why? Because the cupboard was bare! Turner Gill's roster was even worse! Jesus, how can you not see that? Because you're dumb, that's why.

Thanks to Mangino and his recruiters WE HAVE GOOD PLAYERS. Why all of this talk about 2-10? You people are stupid. This is NOT the same as when Terry Allen was fired. We have solid players. Only now they will play their hearts out for this guy. We've got solid players and Mangino totally lost the team this year. Gill will turn it around. We're not a terrible team!!!!!!!!!

rockchalknation 8 years, 10 months ago

Dear Lew Perkins, Congratulations on a great hire in Turner Gill as the next HFC at KU! This staff is off to a great start if Chuck Long and Carl Torbush are name OC and DC as reported in the Kansas City Star. I also read reports that two other coaches with head coaching experience could be named to the staff; would love to see John Blake return to the Big 12 on the KU sidelines. Wakeup Jayhawk fans, this is a great hire and the beginning of a fantastic coaching staff that will be able to recruit top talent and coach them up on both sides of the ball!! Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

jmason 8 years, 10 months ago

John Blake?!? You mean the John Blake that ran OU into the ground? Are you kidding?

colohawk2814 8 years, 10 months ago

Put the investigation aside, Mangino lost 7 in a row, last in the North after being picked for 1st. We had to re-build our defense mid-season two years in a row just to be mediocre. This is a winner?

I have talked with several NU fans, they are not happy as they expect KU to be a problem for them going forward with Gill at the helm.

babyjay1 8 years, 10 months ago

I would be thrilled if all the negative posters on this board gave up their season tix (if they have them...). I'll gladly take better seats and it would be great to replace those folks with people who are anxious to stand and yell at games. I'm assuming all you who can't get behind our new HC are the same ones who sit and sip coffee at the games... Let's get behind our new HC and be ready to cheer on the Jayhawks! Rock Chalk!!

yovoy 8 years, 10 months ago

it's NOT like the hiring of prince - except in one way. it's different in that snyder QUIT when he couldn't get the talent to come to the little craphole anymore. credit some of that to the rise of ku and mu. he not only jumped ship, but torpedoed it after he swam to shore. he sat it up beautifully for him to come riding back in on his white horse. our hire is more like the hiring of snyder. anyone care to compare his record at ksu during his first 4 w/ our new coach's first 4 at buffalo? thankfully ourMangino didn't leave the cupboard bare like old balls did over in manhattan.

argue about it all you want, and i AGREE with leikness in that the mindless get in lockstep immediately. another side of that is that malcontents complain about everything. they kvetch, instead of enjoying what's good, in every situation. i (like conner) will diverge here: i'm going to let him prove himself or disprove himself before i throw him under the bus.

running through a wall means "breaking through" something difficult. it means succeeding. running INTO a wall means failing. i know that metaphors are tricky for some, and while i know you mean what you say; you should say what you mean. those that have difficulty should admit their shortcomings and stick with simple language lest your argument runs into a wall - i.e. it fails.

as i've said before i saw his sideline demeanor earlier this year and i was impressed with his poise and quiet confidence. i watched as his team looked anemic in the first quarter, and that his calm seemed to take over them, and that they overtook and dominated in the second quarter, and thought then that he'd make a good coach somewhere else if given the opportunity. i'm glad he's getting the opportunity at my alma mater. my only concern is with all these people touting his "character". when stuff goes down like it allegedly did w/ ourMangino, it opens the doors for all the "character counts" people to come waltzing in. this brings us back to "all the mindless" lining up to get on board. afterall 75% of the time character=conformity.

i want him to succeed. what's good for Coach, is good for KU right now, and i'm willing to go with it for now even if it means that he'll leave us for greener pastures in a few years.

justinryman 8 years, 10 months ago

John Blake couldn't coach, but he recruited all the players that Stoops won a national championship with. Stoops hasn't won with his own players. Blake is a proven recruiter, but since he has a losing record as a head coach, he's a loser in everyones mind here or at least most from what I read.

Know the facts, thats all I really ask.

jmason 8 years, 10 months ago

John Blake was a good recruiter but a horrible coach and he did not give Stoops all his players. That kid, Josh Heupel, was a last minute recruit by Stoops and he turned out alright in leading them to the title.

jayhawkinATL 8 years, 10 months ago

Looks like it's Carl Torbush according to the Star.

colohawk2814 8 years, 10 months ago

Ask any OU fan about Blake, I am pretty sure they prefer Stoops.

rockchalknation 8 years, 10 months ago

John Blake is a great recruiter and D-Line coach. We already have our HC, now need to fill out the staff

rastameta 8 years, 10 months ago

Actually, I believe 20 of the 22 on the two-deep for OU's NC team were freshmen or sophomores. That means almost all of them were Stoops guys.

justinryman 8 years, 10 months ago

I never said he was a good coach by any means, I said recruiter....

Why are we arguing online you do know what they say about that right??? hahahaha

Oh well, only 8 more months until the season starts, and we have a great basketball season to hold us over until then.

Michael Leiker 8 years, 10 months ago

One thing I would encourage everyone to do is look at Pinkel's record in the MAC compared to Gill. Ok, maybe toss out the first year or so, but really, if we're going to pull someone from the MAC, why not someone who has proven to be a consistent winner at the non-BCS level? Why just a guy that everybody likes and gets along well with the kids and who has done a slightly above average job of rebuilding a horrible football program? Is there really anything here that says this guy can get it done? I don't see many ways that this is a step up, or a better hire than what our rivals in the North have done. Really, this guy's team was BAD last year...after 4 years on the job...in the freaking MAC!!!!

Like Joe Lieberman said, "eloquence is no substitute for a record."

Pinkel in the MAC:

1991 5-5-1 .500 4-3-1 (T-3rd) .563 1992 8-3 .727 5-3 (T-3rd) .625 1993 4-7 .364 3-5 (T-7th) .375 1994 6-4-1 .591 4-3-1 (6th) .563 1995 11-0-1 .958 7-0-1 (1st) .938 1996 7-4 .636 6-2 (T-2nd) .750 1997 9-3 .750 7-1 (1st/West) .875 1998 7-5 .583 6-2 (1st/West) .750 1999 6-5 .545 5-3 (T-2nd/West) .625 2000 10-1 .909 6-1 (1st/West) .857

Gill in the MAC:

Buffalo Bulls (Mid-American Conference) (2006–2009) 2006 Buffalo 2–10 1–7 6th (East) — — — 2007 Buffalo 5–7 5–3 3rd (East) — — — 2008 Buffalo 8–6 5–3 1st L International — — 2009 Buffalo 5–7 3–5 5th (East) - — — Buffalo: 20–30 14–18

PC Hire, bad hire, step backwards.

rockchalknation 8 years, 10 months ago

Many observers consider Blake to be the nation's top recruiter. Nebraska's 2005 class was considered by most recruiting analysts to be one of the top five in the country. His role in helping bring some of the country's most talented players to Lincoln led to Blake's inclusion as a finalist for National Recruiter of the Year by Rivals.com. He also was responsible for recruiting the majority of starters on Oklahoma's 2000 national championship team.

jmason 8 years, 10 months ago

Again nobody doubts his recruiting, it is his coaching that leaves something to be desired.

Dan Harris 8 years, 10 months ago

mkultra- you sir are the loser! go back to columbia

justinryman 8 years, 10 months ago

Well let him sit in the booth on Saturdays with a pen and a pad taking game notes, or talking to recruits when they visit. No need to coach. Hahahaha quick fix to the Blake coaching situation.

Again anyone wanting to sell their season tickets at the give away price, since I mean they know we will stink next year, and those atickets won't be worth anything, I will take them. Then again they would have to have tickets to a football game, but hey again I will buy them, sell em if you don't like whats going on at KU, plenty of fans that do.

jmason 8 years, 10 months ago

Excerpt from ESPN article: "As head coach at Buffalo the past four years, he compiled a 20-30 record after inheriting a program with only 12 wins in the previous eight seasons. The Mid-American coach of the year in 2007 and 2008, he guided the Bulls to the MAC championship in 2008 and their first bowl game in half a century."

Everyone wants to focus on his overall record but what he did at Buffalo was something that many didn't think was possible.

Michael Leiker 8 years, 10 months ago

jmason - were not looking to rebuild a football program. that's why this is so frustrating to me. Perkins basically just wasted the last 8 years. The only way this could have turned out positive for KU is by getting a proven winner in here. Gill is simply not that. It's like back to 2002 all over again. WHY?

colohawk2814 8 years, 10 months ago

Re-building is a matter of persepctive, 5-7 with a 7 game losing streak after being picked to finish 1st. That might be considered re-building. It might also be possible the Mangino enviornment was so poor that it requires someone who is not a tough guy jerk. Football is a violent sport but it doesn't require cruelty.

Larry Smith 8 years, 10 months ago

20 wins at Buffalo in 4 years Buffalo had 12 wins in the previous 8 seasons Turner Gill convinced 10 kids from Texas to go to Buffalo. He has got to be a damn good recruiter.

I wonder if all the Patriot fans were using the same logic when they hired Belichick? He's unproven as a head coach, he has a losing record (.450 winning pct.), couldn't we get a bigger name etc...Blah, Blah, Blah

I am not trying to compare Gill to Belichick, but the flawed logic some of you are using (If he has a losing record at A, then he is going to have a losing record at B), is just not valid. Give the guy a chance and lets see what he can do.

He is now the head football coach at Kansas and he will have my support.

GilbertAZ 8 years, 10 months ago

mkultra-Ask Cleveland Browns fans how they feel about Bill Belichek right about now. Maybe we should just go ahead and fire Gill now and get it over with. It's obvious that Belichek sucked with Cleveland and it's been proven that he couldn't do anything with the Patriots. Just becouse Gill's record with Buffalo was no good doesn't mean anything. Get over yourself, please.

Eric Schneider 8 years, 10 months ago

I'm trying to go into this with an open mind. But with only one winning season (and that 8-6 in the MAC), I'm having a hard time getting excited about it. This seems to be more of an anti-Mangino hire. Especially when you consider that Skip Holtz and Randy Edsal are potentially available. Was Perkins so concerned about a couple of months of criticism about firing Mangino and bringing in one of his own guys.

Two years ago, Gill was one of the hot names out there. Now you don't hear it much. I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt, though. Maybe being at a Big XII school will allow him to attract the kind of talent he needs to be successful on a consistent basis.

roc_chalk_a_fella 8 years, 10 months ago

Welcome to KU, coach!

And to all of you that hate on his 20-30 record....you don't know anything about what building a program means. Buffalo was WAY worse before that.

Do a little research before spouting off, and give Gill a chance.

Dyrk Dugan 8 years, 10 months ago

Welcome Coach Gill! we're glad to have you as the football head Jayhawk.

remember what the fight song says...."got a bill that's big enough to twist the tiger's tail. Husk some corn, and listen to the cornhusker's wail..."

Rock Chalk!

Marcia Parsons 8 years, 10 months ago

In an interview during the half of the Radford basketball game, Stuckey was asked which coach of all those being talked about the players would prefer. He said Gill. That was when it was being said that Harbaugh had accepted.

Andy Tweedy 8 years, 10 months ago

I can't believe some of the stuff I'm reading on here. Proven loser? PC hire? Get real! Mark Mangino was a mere 2 games over .500 even with a 12-1 season. Jim Harbaugh was 2 games under .500 at Stanford. And I'm quite sure Lew Perkins didn't hire Turner Gill because it was PC. In fact, I think it's the first "PC" hire Lew Perkins has made in a major sport, so he's clearly not a "proven" hirer of "PC" head coaches. Being skeptical is one thing, but why so much negativity from a few voices. The hire has been made, give the man a chance. I guess some people were only going to be happy if we hired Vince Lombardi or Don Shula.

justinryman 8 years, 10 months ago

I will ask all the nay sayers of this hire who thier realistic hire would have been and why? Factual reasons only please. C'mon lets see em.

Pacer 8 years, 10 months ago

Good move for KU to hire Gill. However, this should be the first step in overhauling what cearly is an athletic department run amock. There are a number of other steps that KU should implement to make sure that the athletic department is reigned in and is not operating as a loose cannon. Here are a few things that the university should do as quick as possible:

1. The university's administration needs to appoint a blue-ribbon task force (comprised of people who are not affiliated with the athletic department) that will report back to the higher ups on current management practices by Lew Perkins and Co. The task force should provide the administration with recommendation for how the athletic department can be better managed and also how to make sure that it doesn't break spiral out of control again.

2. The university should have an independent auditor take a look at the so-called "revenue" sports at KU. How much are the KU men's football and basketball teams spending and how much are they bringing in for the university. How many resources are going to these two programs compared to the other KU athletic programs? How much scholarship money do these two programs have compared to the rest of KU's sports.

3. From now on, at least two or three faculty members from KU should attend every KU football and men's basketball practice and report their independent observations to the university's adminisration. They should also log the amount of time that players are being required to practice. Per NCAA rules, coaches are limited to the amount of time that players can focus on their sport. It seems all too often that this is being ignored.

These are just a few things that the university can do rather quickly to shore up the athletic department. We'll see if it's willing to take the appropriate steps to do what's sorely needed. This situation bears watching.

Layne Pierce 8 years, 10 months ago

Justinryman

Reason no. 1, the Big 12 is a hell of a lot tougher than the MAC. 2. TG's record was below 500. 3. It gives the appearance that 8 years were totally wasted. (I do not believe it.) 4. Turner will have to show Big Blue loyalty versus UNL in some way. 5. Below the coordinator level who are his coaches?

Mkultra 8 years, 10 months ago

20-30. Is that is the best hire you think we could get? Really? I'm glad I am not a drone. I love KU football and basketball but alas I don't think football is going anywhere for many years sadly. What favour was called to Lew for him to hire 20-30? You guys really need to evaluate yourselves if you really get upset with what is posted on a message board. I am being overly dramatic probably but it is a big (I believe terrible) day in KU Football history. But 20-30 is sadly a fact and you cannot argue that point as much as you have tried.

James Hubin 8 years, 10 months ago

PC hire, funny, affirmative action in action. Who cares? We went from a fat caucasian a-hole that couldn't play at a college level and had a losing record in the Big 12 to a christian, afro-american coach that proved his ability to play for the cornholes (and his daughter is a Jayhawk), but also had losing record in the MAC at buffalo.

Do you realize how much of an asset it could be in recruiting to have the only black coach in the Big 12 (only 11 african american coaches in D1 football)? Did he really recruit ten kids from texass to buffalo? Wow. I'm pretty excited to see what he will do for KU with the new diggs and recent fan support, along with some recruiting help from his assistants, we may actually have some depth of talent someday.

I predict he stays 5-6 or six years and then makes a tough decision between his successful head coaching job at KU, the place his daughter graduated from and the school he led to a BCS game or going north and coaching at his alma mater after we continually keep kicking cornhole year after year and Osborne finally decides to fire the chewing pelini's.

Doug Merrill 8 years, 10 months ago

Yeah - this is going to happen, because these ladies and gentlemen don't have anything else to do but sit in stands and use stopwatches....

"3. From now on, at least two or three faculty members from KU should attend every KU football and men's basketball practice and report their independent observations to the university's adminisration. They should also log the amount of time that players are being required to practice. Per NCAA rules, coaches are limited to the amount of time that players can focus on their sport. It seems all too often that this is being ignored"

justinryman 8 years, 10 months ago

But I ask who your hire would have been? Harbaugh? Signed an extension with Stanford. Sumlin? He won't even interview at Cincy. Tuberville? Out of work for a full year and had to, I repeat had to put his name out there. So who is your dream hire in this scenerio? I get that you don't like what has transpired, but.......to bad.

Hawkrock11 8 years, 10 months ago

Pacer, are you kidding? You must be. How about they don't do any of those things. They've done the one thing they needed to do and get rid of the one person giving the program a black eye and that was Mangino.

KURocksChalk 8 years, 10 months ago

Welcome Turner Gill! I will ask to all the negative posters, Does anyone really think that Turner Gill would have done worse than 5-7 with the talent we had this year? My goodness, TA would have been 5-7. I am expecting some great recruits (yes, 4 and 5-star) to now consider KU. Watch and see.

Gordon Penny 8 years, 10 months ago

It SO should take more than 1 good season followed by a losing season in a subpar conference to qualify you to be a coach at the University of Kansas. I guess KU has little or no expectations for its football program. Maybe we'll get lucky, though.

Hawkrock11 8 years, 10 months ago

halogenlamps, isn't that pretty much what Mangino did? At least Gill won his league. KU is an up and coming program not an established program, not even close. Gill is an up and coming coach, seems like a perfect fit.

Gordon Penny 8 years, 10 months ago

I agree, Mangino's record spoke for itself...maybe he should have gotten one more year (if he didn't have the other issues). My opinion is that one good season does not a coach make, and the Orange Bowl season was great, but it did not warrant a contract extension or pay raise for Mangino. I think it should take consistent winning to get a contract extension/raise, and it should definitely take consistent winning to qualify for head coach at Kansas. A conference championship followed by a 5-7 year is not very heartening.

troutsee 8 years, 10 months ago

Bash away, bash away, bash away all.

Pacer--fortunately you are in the minority in your opinion, which you are entitled to and, of course, noone is going to change your mind....but "an athletic department that has clearly run amok".....come on. I'm sure the board of regents can hardly wait to implement your "plan."

And "leikness", "And Gill is simply not that." Wow, you are able to predict the future. Can you give me some stock tips. Just admit the fact that you are a Lew hater as well as a pessimist and forget the rest of your negative pontificating.

Welcome Turner Gill. Good job, Lew.

Kevin John 8 years, 10 months ago

I don't know how to say this without sounding negative. I have a real bad feeling about this hire, Perkins messed up bigtime!! I was not expecting this, nor was I prepared to hear this. After begining the year in the Top 25, was this the best coach available?

Jeff Coffman 8 years, 10 months ago

Lew spelled it out perfect..."his accomplishments at Buffalo speak for themselves"

And what are those. Only one star and two star recruits, zero 3-5 star recruits. 20 wins and THIRTY losses in an inferior conference. 0 wins against the top 25 and probably 0 against the top 50 (but that is a guess). One winning season. 5-7 record last season (same as MM). I could probably come up with some more, but I think it's clear we didn't get the grandslam that all of us were thinking would happen after the dismisal of MM.

colohawk2814 8 years, 10 months ago

To take any program out of the hell hole UB was in and win anything says a lot about Mr. Gill's talents. Everything gets kicked up a notch now but he has 12 years of Big 8/12 coaching experience at a winner. He has coached a winner. UB lost 4 games this year by one score or less and each of these losses were in the last 2 minutes of the game or overtime. So 5-7 could easily have been 9-3 with a few breaks.

Jeff Coffman 8 years, 10 months ago

Sorry I count wins and losses.

I wonder if he will coach in the bowl game that Buffalo is going to...oh wait with a 5-7 record you aren't bowl elgible, and therefore we don't have to worry about that.

Yep clearly his "accomplishments" speak for themselves. Bowl wins aren't important (oh wait he has 3 less bowl wins as a head coach than MM has).

Everyone asks why are we comparing to MM, because MM brought some respectability to this program. In one quick hire we are to expect a mediocre head coach in an inferior conference to be better than someone that showed that he could go to 4 bowl games in 8 years including 3 victories. Last time I checked, Texas Tech, Missouri, Colorado, Iowa State, Baylor, OSU, TA&M have never been to a BCS Bowl game let alone won one.

Jeff Coffman 8 years, 10 months ago

Nice truehawk9d

His name is Turner Gill - HCTG, not hcgt.

Way to go...even the people that like the hire don't even know his name.

8 wins next year or we get rid of him!!

colohawk2814 8 years, 10 months ago

wins and losses

KU 2009 5-7 with 7 straight losses, some to inferior teams.

50-48, is that considered 2 games over mediocre?

Mangino was a virus, he needed to go. It seems several people are under the impression we should have kept him. So if he goes 5-7 this year with experienced talent what exactly would everyone expect next year? Based on history, I do know we would be moving offensive players over to the defensive side of the ball sometime around Halloween.

I would not be suprised to see some very different names starting on defense next year and playing at a high level. My guess is some of the new comers this year forgot to weigh in Mangino's box of Krispy Kremes to ensure he had his 3 pounds of cholestorol by lunch and lost playing time as a result.

We can't compare anyone to MM, he is gone and deserved to go for the dismal performance of the team, 1st to last, that is not mediocre that is horrid.

KURocksChalk 8 years, 10 months ago

KU will go 6-6 at least next year. My expectations though are not in that arena alone. I am looking for steady improvement all year long, something which Bill Snyder is a master at. KSU played D against Nebraska like they meant business. That D looked a lot different than earlier in the year. If we get the steady improvement, despite losses, I will be encouraged. KU's breakdown this year was as much mental as anything. I do not see that happening with Gill.

Again, no one is answering my freakin' question, "DOES ANYONE REALLY THINK THAT TURNER GILL WOULD HAVE DONE WORSE THAN 5-7 WITH THE TALENT WE HAD THIS YEAR?????????????????????????"

colohawk2814 8 years, 10 months ago

Would our record have been better, 7-5, 8-4? Yes.

When is the last time any nay sayers worked for a pr%ck, did you put forth a positive effort or was it negative just to CYA?

Jeff Coffman 8 years, 10 months ago

1-10 maybe 2-9.

MM did well until Reesing got hurt.

Turner will continue to recruit those 1-2 star recruits...Great hire.

YaBoyJrod 8 years, 10 months ago

Hey I support KU no matter what. But that does not mean I have to like the choice for HC. I hope he proves me wrong. Good Luck HCTG we all will be rooting you.

Jim Pendleton 8 years, 10 months ago

I for one am ok with this hire. I had a list of three or four people that included both Gill and Harbaugh. Everyone needs to get over his record, not always the best factor to look at. A coach's record can be somewhat misleading when trying to give opinions on what the future might bring. Here are some examples -

Gill, 2-10 first year at Buffalo, Harbaugh 1-11 first year at Stanford, Mangino 2-10 at KU, Snyder 1-10 first year at KSU (think this is right, certainly not much better). Take a look at other coaches who are looked at as successful. Brown and Stoops had better records than these, but not at the level they have been in more recent years.

What do these examples all have in common? A new coach comes to their new team, and have to mostly coach the previous regime's players. A lot of times, those players aren't very good, as noted in some of the examples above. As a result, a coach's record will often take a hit the first year or two. Fortunately, we are in a much better situation personnel wise compared to when MM started, so I think we can be better in a shorter time period and hopefully compete for North Titles, and hopefully a conference title as well.

The fact that Coach Gill already has other assistants in place, and not bringing any from his current position, is definitely a positive. He knows he will need to bring in good people that are good recruiters and good coaches to compete in this league.

All of Jayhawk Nation needs to give him a chance and get behind this group. You can say you don't like the hire if you want, but we all must support the program going forward, and yes that means being in the stands six or seven times next season. Welcome Coach Gill, and Rock Chalk!

gratefulhawk 8 years, 10 months ago

i don't belive in would-of, could-of, should-of, all i know is this. 1. show support for coach turner and he succedes 2. show support for coach turner and he fails. 3. show no support for coach turner and he fails. i choose opt. 1. for no other reason than i'm a kansas man and a jayhawk fan. ROCK CHALK !

gratefulhawk 8 years, 10 months ago

i'm starting to understand some of the "fans" that post here... it's the come late to the games and leave early crowd....whatever...peace.

jasscott 8 years, 10 months ago

Excuse me for interrupting kids, I’m trying to find the section where the grownups go to post comments . . .

Kent Kossoy 8 years, 10 months ago

It is pretty simple really. If he is to be paid the 14th highest coaching salary in the FBS, then we certainly can expect to be ranked at least in the top twenty now???? Sort of like with the Mangino era??

jasscott 8 years, 10 months ago

Methinks Turner Gill is going to teach our players how to be men. If he wins some football games in the process, that would be pretty cool.

If I’d just been hired for a new job, I’d sure hate to get this kind of criticism before I showed up for work. Here’s an idea: maybe we hold the negative comments until, I don’t know, maybe after he coaches a few games?

gratefulhawk 8 years, 10 months ago

top 25 rankings are set by east and west coast media humps, and argued by drunks in a bar ...well, everywhere... play and win the games in front of you. we'll know more after week 3. of the 2010 sch. ROCK CHALK.

DalTXJayhawk 8 years, 10 months ago

If he can really take top tier recruits out of Texas, then he will see success. I watched the 5A (second from top) class semi finals last night between Denton and Longview. There were 18 senior kids playing that have D1 schools looking at them (Kansas is interested in the Denton QB) There were also 5-6 juniors with D1 interest. If he can get some of the top, not just the UT/OU leftovers, he will do well.

Mkultra 8 years, 10 months ago

KU will NOT be 6-6 in 2010 that is horribly optimistic! 4-8 that is realistic or maybe 3-9. If KU goes 6-6 next year that would be miraculous!

mr_jhawk4477 8 years, 10 months ago

First off, mkultra: you are a complete moron. all you continue to say is 20-30 and nothing else. When you only have one arguement and all you do is keep repeating it like an idiot, you do nothing to convince anyone. Nobody has posted that they agree with you, and you just look stupid. It must be horrible to have a conversation with you since all you do is say one thing over and over again.

On another note, I love the hire and love that he already has coordinators in place, Gill seems to have a plan ready and I believe he will be very successful. For those of you who knock him for only getting 1 and 2 stars to Buffalo, why on earth would a 4 or 5 star EVER go to Buffalo when they could certainly play for SOMEBODY in a power 6 conference. Gill will get 4 and 5 stars to KU. Gill will be a winner here. Cant wait to hear more about who he will bring in both as coaches and recruit wise. Welcome Turner, you have my support as well as the majority of Jayhawk Nation, and it wont be long until EVERYONE appreciates you. ROCK CHALK!

KURocksChalk 8 years, 10 months ago

As I asked earlier if anyone thought Gill would do worse than 5-7 with the talent we had here and the few responses I received I would still suggest no. Now, if he would have done at least that with current talent, the question is, do you think he will recruit better or worse than MM? I think better and I think most of you agree that that is probably true. I also think that most of us believe he will be a much better mentor. Now, then, that brings us to the real concern that most of you are voicing. Can he coach? By that, I mean, schemes, strategies, and play-calling. That will be where he will be most scrutinized as well as team preparedness. Does the team appear aggressive or passive? Is the offensive line in sync?
I think we all want aggressive (especially on defense) but that does not mean that I would not embrace the Nebraska style of ball-control game that almost took down Texas. Especially against TTech would I love to see a game like that. Allow me to make an analogy. Wrestling vs boxing. If a wrestler gets a boxer on the ground it is over. The wrestler really has the advantage. If we go to that style of play we will choke the life out of the high-flying spread teams. But, whatever you do Gill, Beat Mizzu!

Mkultra 8 years, 10 months ago

I am not trying to convince anyone 4477 I am merely providing my opinion. I couldn't care less if you agree with me and while I have attacked the hiring of Mr Gill I have not attacked any of the other posters which is what you have done. And yes 20-30 is the most important number here.

KURocksChalk 8 years, 10 months ago

Mkultra, whatever that means, my confidence that we will go 6-6 is not only that Gill will do at least a decent job his first year, but I also have confidence in the young men who wear the KU uniform proudly. I think we have some pretty good players who get some decent coaching that they could be pretty good. Heck, I am thinking I am a little conservative with 6-6. But I believe in these boys as much as I believe in TG. Maybe you should too.

mr_jhawk4477 8 years, 10 months ago

I may have gone a little over the top on the personal attack Mkultra, I appologize. But the fact is that the 20-30 record just can't be compared in this situation given the circumstances in which the Buffalo football program was in prior to Gill's arrival. I too was not a believer in the beginning when I saw the 20-30 record, but the more I've read about it and thought about it Gill really seems to be a great hire. It sounds like he couldn't be a nicer guy, and he should be welcomed with open arms. Whether you like the hire or not, I believe we should all support coach Gill and give him a chance to take this program to an elite level. I'm not saying you have to think he will be a great coach, but at least give the guy a chance, and make him feel our support. He will certainly be a great addition to the Lawrence community, and I believe he will be a great football coach.

Mkultra 8 years, 10 months ago

You could always google it Rockschalk

Jeff Coffman 8 years, 10 months ago

20-30 record 5-7 last year 0 - 3,4,5 star recruits at Buffalo (he should have been able to get at least a 3 star) In fact, name 1 recruit he made as a head coach and getting 10 guys over 4 years to go to Buffalo from TX that are 1-2 star recruits is not a sign of his ability to recruit TX 1 winning season 0 bowl wins Only 1 bowl appearance in 4 years

I think his playing days are awesome, and as a coordinator for TOM OSBOURNE, arguably one of the top 5 coaches of all time, I would guess I would guess it wasn't hard to recruit for him.

Let's see successful "players' coaches"...None (Okay..One...Tony Dungy, but he wasn't successful until he went to a loaded team...check TB).

I think that what most of us were thinking that are disappointed with the hire is that there were a lot of names out there. That it seemed like Gill was interviewed first and we settled for him rather than go after a coach that has 1) winning record 2) defensive minded 3) experience as a head coach in a real conference 4) At least one win against a top 25 team 5) At least one game coached against a BCS school (a victory would have been even better). I guess when you talk about his coordinators, I am excited to see that he got good coordinators that washed up when they became headcoaches, or am I missing something there. I guess there is the potential that they won't leave to be headcoaches quite as fast.

Gill was about 8th on the names I saw: 1) Tuberville 2) Fulmer 3) Kelly 4) Harbough (the only one we seriously went after -- a shame) 5) Holtz 6) Edsal (who was rumored to be ahead of Kelly for the ND game) 7) Sumlin 8) Gill 9 Nutt 10) Brewster

I'm not sure you would find too many people that didn't have that close to their order. I would say some would have put Nutt higher.

gratefulhawk 8 years, 10 months ago

i really get a kick outta of predictions from the water-boy...how do i know he's the water-boy? because any one who played the game knows that your not playing against air out there...they want it, you want it, it's who want's its it most. unless you're playing tex-ass then all bets are off.

Mkultra 8 years, 10 months ago

No offense taken Mrjayhawk4477 in reality I hope I am wrong nothing would please me more if we were to become a winning program again very soon and that is what we all want.

mr_jhawk4477 8 years, 10 months ago

Gill does have a win over a top 25 team. When Buffalo won the MAC championship last year against Ball St, Ball St was undefeated and ranked 17th.

KURocksChalk 8 years, 10 months ago

Lew is either a genius, played it safe, or has the AD job lined up at Nebraska when Osborne lets go, like I said a couple of days ago. The time for arguing the merits of the hire is over. It is time to get behind this man and this team. I also said in another post that the biggest problem for Lew in this is that Turner Gill will become a beloved man, win or lose in Lawrence and that will make him hard to fire. Course, that is not a problem if Lew is in Lincoln or Columbia. See, I can be real cyncical. But, right now I want to believe that Lew is a genius, has no personal plans and we will all see it in time. Let's get on the bandwagon and believe for the best, or at least hope for the best. If Lew wants to convince Jayhawk Nation that he really has the team's best interest at heart, then he can use any Wichita connections to stop the recruit leakage which is huge.

Cal Bender 8 years, 10 months ago

San Diego State University people are very happy that Chuck Long (the fired unsuccessful head coach at SDSU who is still being paid by SDSU) has finally found a job to relieve SDSU of at least a part of the payment being made to him. There must also be a hope out there that he'll do better as offensive coordianator at KU then he did as head coach at SDSU. We shouldn't expect too much, though, from a head coach with a poor win - loss record at a small school with an offensive coordinator who flunked out as a head coach. Well, maybe in two years both of them, and Perkins will be fired, and an effort will be made to improve the program. I thought we had learned from our experiences with Chuck Mather and Terry Allen. Guess not.

Jeff Coffman 8 years, 10 months ago

Oh that is right he beat a 12-0 ball state team that had beaten lets see Indiana, Akron, Toledo, and than lost to Buffalo and finally got blown out in their bowl game by an unranked Tulsa team. Come on. The team didn't finish in the Top 25, because they hadn't played anyone. If that is your defense be careful.

I do stand corrected, he lost to Missouri while coaching at Buffalo. So he did play against a BCS team or two, but never had a win. Losing to Missouri might be acceptable in Buffalo, but clearly is not acceptable at KU. Better turn that around.

Remember when he won his MAC championship, he didn't make it into the top 25.

Plain and simple he has been given a gift, I hope he takes advantage of it.

Also I expect 8 wins next year. (3 Non-conference, 3 North and 2 South wins). Anything less is unacceptable. Remember we have the easy south this year, and 3 North wins really should be 4.

Go coach Gill, don't set your sights anywhere less than 8 wins or your selling us short.

jasscott 8 years, 10 months ago

You heard it hear first, kids. Turner Gill gets a hold of Kale Pick. He blossoms into a true dual threat quarterback. Here's how it pans out:

9/04/10 vs. North Dakota State W 09/11/10 vs. Georgia Tech L 09/18/10 at Southern Miss W 09/25/10 vs. New Mexico State W 10/02/10 at Baylor W 10/16/10 vs. Kansas State W 10/23/10 vs. Texas A&M W 10/30/10 at Iowa State W 11/06/10 vs. Colorado W 11/13/10 at Nebraska L 11/20/10 vs. Oklahoma State L 11/27/10 vs. Missouri W

KU 9 and 3 in 2010 . . . Mangino who?

Bob Robertson 8 years, 10 months ago

Welcome Coach Turner. I'm sure glad you were hired to coach the Jayhawks and not all the "experts" that have been posting their biased opinions of who should or should not have been hired. Welcome to Kansas and back to the Big 12.

Jeff Coffman 8 years, 10 months ago

I agree with jasscott, we have a schedule for 9 wins. I think 8 is realistic.

If he wins 4 or 5 like people are suggesting...get rid of him.

Christopher Johnson 8 years, 10 months ago

I'll get behind Gill (somewhat reluctantly) but will never again be behind Lew. LP is a dirty man and completely unprofessional. Here's hoping Mangino gets to prove himself somewhere else. I'll always be a fan of his.

I guess it's time to also be a fan of HCTG. Good luck next year . . . and please retire soon LP. You're ugly face nicely fits your ugliness behind closed doors (actually this time it WASN'T behind closed doors when it should have been).

Jeff Coffman 8 years, 10 months ago

Can we get him with a KU hat at least? Maybe get one of those Orange Bowl champion hats. At least get him something beside that husker red stuff.

gratefulhawk 8 years, 10 months ago

calbender.. san diego state people are very happy, got it, san diego people live in san diego. very good for them. and why do we give a s. about san diego or your b.s.? uh, could you do me a solid and just go away...maybe to the beach or something? thank you very little.

Bill Kackley 8 years, 10 months ago

What makes any of you think a coach would read any of this crap. I sure wouldn't.

Mike Kendall 8 years, 10 months ago

jasscott--

I mostly agree with all of your predictions except the game at LINCOLN!!! Gill has nothing to lose going up to Lincoln. The Husker fans are nervous, I'm telling you right now. All the pressure is on Nebraska when KU plays in Lincoln. I say if it is a close game, KU could win that darn game--haven't won there since 1969, although Mangino came close in 2008. Good luck Coach Gill--I'm behind you all the way. RCJHGOKU!

gratefulhawk 8 years, 10 months ago

websters- pre; as in before, dic; as in "i'm a water-boy", tion (shun) as in what i guess is laughable. see: bed wetter.

rockchalkxii 8 years, 10 months ago

Jascott is right but I think we will lose to either KState, A&M or Mizzery. I say we go 7-5 with a shot to win the north because of the weak schedule. We return all key contributors from last year except Stuckey, Meier, Todd, Sharp, and Dez.

pfister99 8 years, 10 months ago

MM definitely brought the program up from the ashes. I always wondered...a coach, as a motivator of men...how he demanded respect from his players being in such poor physical condition. Fitness is a part of leadership, especially when demanded from your players. Its good to have a coach that looks the part. Now let's watch him recruit and push his players to be better on and off the field. ROCK CHALK!!!!

rockchalkxii 8 years, 10 months ago

I believe we have 14 starters + McDougald/Opurum returning. Players will want to play under HCTG unlike MM. Does anyone know how much HCTG is making.

Mike Kendall 8 years, 10 months ago

I agree pfister99--excellent post--I work with a lot of K-Staters. They were always joking about Mangino's weight. I certainly wasn't laughing. Gill can motivate. After watching the piece on ESPN's OTL, I am anxious to see what Gil has to say at his press conference on Monday morning, as well as, everyone else in Jayhawk Nation.

Jeff Coffman 8 years, 10 months ago

don't forget we lose -- Reesing as well.

Mike Kendall 8 years, 10 months ago

I don't know who the other quarterbacks are coming into next season but I though Kyle Pick was a better runner than Reesing for what little time that he played. Coach Gil knows a little about running as a quarterback.

colohawk2814 8 years, 10 months ago

It is embarrassing to see so much arrogance out of KU fans, if not Gill then whom would we have selected?

I have been going to KU football games since 1962, I don't remember Gale Sayers' 99 yard run against Nebraska but I was there. We used to stay at the Jayhawk Hotel with the football team in Topeka Friday nights before home games. I was in Lincoln in 68 when Bobby Douglass, Vernon Venoy, John Zook, the Riggins brothers, Orville Turgeon, Emory Hicks, Tommy Ball, Donnie Shankel, Mickey Doyle, etc beat Nebraska 23-13. I remember sitting through a down pour watching us beat the crap out of New Mexico 68-7. I still have game day programs I bought for 50 cents from 67 through 75.

I am not sure but I think it may simply boil down to this, if I am a high school football player I would much rather talk with Turner Gill than Mack Brown. I think we have an individual with the moral and ethical character that parents want in a coach, life experience matters, examples of success matter.

So for Christ's sake let's give this guy a chance, he has great experience. The early test will be can he hold on to valuable recruits and/or bring others to the program we simply didn't expect. Appartently he is pretty damned proactive as he already has coordinators. Their track history is good and bad, but like everyone, fit has a lot to do with success. If HCTG can provide the requisite leadership we should see a continued growth in the program, both from the coaching staff and the players. It will boil down to recruiting at some point but transferring raw potential into performance will be key.

I think a year from now we will all have forgotten this last year, a memory we simply don't need.

100 8 years, 10 months ago

Watch the YouTube Clip "Speechless, MAC championship" --

THIS is the kind of guy we want representing Kansas football!!!!

This guy will be able to bring in so many 4 & 5 star recruits!!!!!

Nebraska will be dying to steal Coach Gill from us, but they're already locked into Coach Pelini for the next 30 years!!!!

Rock Chalk!!!!

Dale Kroening 8 years, 10 months ago

Im sure all you folks complaining about the Gill hiring and asking for Lew's job and the so called Mangino witchhunt were the same people bitching about the Mangino hiring years ago. I remember a lot of fans whining about MM not having any headcoaching experience. Give the guy a freaking chance. Its looks as if many people that know college football are saying Gill is a good coach and a good hire. Its time for all Jayhawk fans to come together and support the team and the new coach, if not get the H-E-L-L out !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

djhawk75 8 years, 10 months ago

Now that we know Coach Gill has been hired, let's remember one thing: many fans weren't very excited about the Mangino hire either. Furthermore, Mangino was basically on his last lifeline before the 2007 season. Just a little perspective.

I think that a Gill coached team will be better in the long run only because it wouldn't try to get "cute." The one thing that aggravated me so much about Mangino's teams was that the play calling was so bizarre at times that I would give myself a conniption over a call. The defense constantly confused itself; the offense seemed to believe that outdo Mike Martz. So here I am thinking, "Just run the damn ball," and then I see some cute fake handoff, pass to God knows who, and then the teams looks more confused. I am more confident that Gill will just run the ball when we need to.

100 8 years, 10 months ago

cap10d & djhawk75,

Thanks for being real. I'm going to say this again -- many of us know from how the internet works, multiple fans from other schools can come on the site & pretend to be "KU fans"...

No KU fan in their right mind has anything negative to say about Lew Perkins -- he has done nothing but good for us!

And for Turner Gill, again, for any KU fan in their right mind -- check out what this man is gonna be able to do for us!! Let's all do our research & check out the coaches & attitude he's bringing in!!! The five stars will love this guy & so will their parents!!! He's from Texas!!!! He's a Nebraska hero!!! He was a national hero for years & he has 3 (three) national championship rings as an assistant coach & almost won the Heisman as a player!!! This is a HUGE hire!!

The ENTIRE nation followed this guy & he has a HUGE national name that just hasn't had a stage for 25 years.... well....

Now he does!!!!!

Lew just hit a walk off home run for us!!!

At any rate, these fans have been doing this for years now -- just take note of who they are & realize they're obviously not KU people. Write a letter to the LJW & report it.

Not much we can do about it except to call it out & flag comments. I'd like to see disclaimers underneath all stories...

To any truly football person that "gets it"...

WE ARE GONNA BE STACKED!!!!!!!!!

(in football!!!!!!!)

gardenjay 8 years, 10 months ago

Actually, 100, one has to take exception with Lew's quick-draw attitude towards using attorneys to solve problems, which will continue to cost KU millions of dollars in court on appeals, a gift that just keeps on giving. You could say, as a donor to the alumni association that you are offsetting Lew's legal habits.

That attitude is so, man, so much a whopper of a waste of money. What kind of monkey does it take to be more intelligent about spending money to crush a lightweight like Joe College with something other than a continent? Sad, especially when your KU researchers, let us call them beggars, are begging for funding while shelling out sometimes more than 50% of their grants to KU administration. Administrators include Lew, and are supposed to weigh their actions and be accountable to...I don't know, maybe they are not accountable to anyone.

KU is not supposed to be primarily a professional sports and entertainment outlet, except by tradition when it comes to basketball. One has to respect Mangino to the extent that he got involved in the academics at KU, as a university coach should. I am really excited about having Gill as coach - I feel like a guy with his intensity will be involved at KU. Rock Chalk!

100 8 years, 10 months ago

KU football gives a bunch to academics...

Lew certified that we got in that Orange Bowl...

Lew brings in big time hires that will bring the University more money...

Lew brought in more money makers to bring in more money to the athletics department (Gale Sayers, John Hadl has helped to)...

(by the way, I give money too, & I couldn't be happier than to have a successful CEO type running the Jayhawks in this day & age -- it's not the 60's anymore & things are run completely differently)

Lew helped make Allen Fieldhouse stay & become even more amazing, in fact the best in the world (by far)....

Lew has done nothing but help us -- as for Joe College shirts, c'mon -- the guy was clearly breaking the law & had been warned several times...

Rock Chalk, Garden Jay!

Vic Janeway 8 years, 10 months ago

Good luck Coach Gill. But it was too quick to select a new coach with those other possiblities out there.

Andy Hess 8 years, 10 months ago

Despite my initial skepticism, I've gotta say this guy is getting me excited for the future of this program. Best of luck, Coach Gill!

roc_chalk_a_fella 8 years, 10 months ago

Oh you whiners that complain about 20-30 record just don't know anything about college football.

Buffalo was like 7-43 or something in the last 50 games before he got there.

He made them better, won a MAC championship, improved them.

You're probably the same fans that file out of the stadium early at games.