Monday, August 3, 2009

Sorrentino

More to Reesing, Mangino than football

It was in the middle of a Kansas University football practice last season when coach Mark Mangino wanted a word with Todd Reesing.

As the coach pulled his quarterback aside, Reesing was prepared to discuss what plays he would call on the next practice drive.

Mangino had something else in mind.

“He pulled me off to the side and said, ‘Todd...what are we going to do about this market?’ So instead of being out there running plays for the next game, me and him were sitting there talking about the financial district and how that was going to affect our lives,” Reesing recalled at last week’s Big 12 Media Days in Irving, Texas.

Mangino and Reesing talk like they’re old friends. They ask about each other’s families. They talk about business and investment opportunities.

The foundation of their solid relationship started with Reesing’s campus visit to Lawrence in 2005.

Just a few years ago, no big-time school wanted Reesing. He was 5-foot-11 and allegedly too small to play in the Big 12, despite his 3,340 passing yards and 49 total touchdowns in 2005, his senior year at Lake Travis (Texas) High.

Mangino didn’t care. He saw something he liked in Reesing and let him know it. Reesing said of all his campus visits, only in Lawrence did he step foot in the head coach’s office.

“He really had this swagger about him,” Mangino said. “When he shook my hand, he looked me right in the eye. He was full of energy. He was intelligent. He could speak on subjects other than just football. And he had a bounce in his step.”

Mangino’s belief in Reesing symbolized a vision. Four years after his campus visit, Reesing is the most accomplished quarterback to ever play at Kansas.

“The coaches came down to my office to ask me what I thought of him because I’d already watched the tape,” Mangino said. “And I can almost quote, I said, ‘He’s small. He’s really small. But I like him. And if we can get him, let’s get him.’ He exuded confidence, and he was just like a stick of dynamite.”

Reesing said Mangino offered him a scholarship after speaking with him for 30 minutes. The coach had only watched tape on Reesing one day before the offer.

What started as a basic get-to-know-you has blossomed into a strong friendship and fearsome force on the field. The duo has carved a script that Disneyland would have no problem turning into a ride at one of its theme parks.

Highlights include an Orange Bowl victory in the 2007 season, the first BCS bowl triumph in school history; a 12-win season for the first time in school history that same year; and Reesing is now KU’s all-time leader in career completions (619), yards (7,578) and touchdown passes (68).

Scary thing is, he’s not done. This fall, in Reesing’s senior year, the Jayhawks have hopes of winning their first outright Big 12 North title ever.

Whether Reesing’s college football career will take him to the NFL is still up in the air.

“I think the big thing is, all you need is one person that thinks you can do it,” Reesing said. “That’s all it took for me in college, so maybe that’s all it will take at the next level. Who knows?”

As for his college accomplishments, Mangino knew. He knew after the first time he spoke to Reesing.

Comments

Michael Auchard 7 years, 9 months ago

Sorrentino, great article.

I kinda heard a Texas twang in my head throughout it.

waywardJay 7 years, 9 months ago

I concur, Wonderful article. However, I am a bit displeased you did not get into the stock advice Mangino was getting from Reesing ??? Is Todd an Investment Guru ??? Does he have a career in the industry after his professional football future fades ???? Or was Todd asking Mark for Advice, Does the big man also have business savvy and if so...where at the Carl's Jr. Mangino Hamburger spots ???

Rivethead 7 years, 8 months ago

It's already pretty well known that Reesing reads the Economist regularly and intends to study business and economics in Europe after his undergrad (and NFL?) career are over.

We're not talking about a "normal" QB - that's for sure!

labbadabba 7 years, 8 months ago

"Is Todd an Investment Guru ???"

That's the word on the street. The kid ain't no dummy.

sevenyearhawk 7 years, 8 months ago

How fortunate this program, the University and Jayhawks everywhere are to have the Fat Man and Little Boy on our side ...

Beak 'em!

jacqueshock 7 years, 8 months ago

Reminds me a lot of Jacque Vaughn. Both great athletes who were well-rounded individuals that excelled at academics. I like stories such as this one. It's great when students are able to excell at both endeavors with a real passion to also see beyond their playing days. I think of Myron Rolle, the starting safety for Florida State, who bypassed this year's NFL draft to accept the Rhodes Scholarship to study at Oxford for a year. Google that man because there's another neat story.

dubya 7 years, 8 months ago

How about some news on the recent commitments for the 2010 class? I hear we are getting a former Nebraska commit (4 star WR) from Blue Springs and a nice sized DE from Texas.

UPDATE please!

waywardJay 7 years, 8 months ago

I know alot of people who read the economist, doesn't mean i would trust any of their investment strategies.... I have read the economist, and believe me.... no one should follow my investment strategies......

Yeah He's smart. But Is he Martha Stewart Evil ? That's what it takes to be a Jim Kramer.

Dirk Medema 7 years, 8 months ago

Rivals says that Keeston Terry, a 4-star WR/OLB (6-2, 179#, 4.69), gave a solid verbal committment on 8/1. This would be a switch from his original committment (following Tyler Gabbert) to NU a couple months ago.

Jimmay Mundine is a 6-1, 225# DE from Denison, TX that runs a 4.6, but hasn't been reviewed/rated by Rivals.

dubya 7 years, 8 months ago

Thanks dagger. Although it looks like Rivals may have spoken to soon. I hope he decides to come on board.

Dirk Medema 7 years, 8 months ago

dubya - What is your source to question rivals' info?

Scout has the same info.

Dirk Medema 7 years, 8 months ago

Just went back to the home page and saw Dugan's article. Still sounds good to me. When KU has a solid to great season again, things should fall into place wrt Keeston and others. Lots of opps for '10 and beyond.

Dirk Medema 7 years, 8 months ago

Dirk Medema 7 years, 8 months ago

The deleted comments earlier are a Lincoln JC (?) article by Christopherson (?) linked from the ESPN Big 12 blog. It quotes Keeston last Friday, when DA's original article quoted his coach.

It is nice that this updated article adds more info on recent recruits. We still have work to do to catch up with the S teams, but definitely steps in the right direction.

Now if we can add Justin McCay as well, it would be nice on the local recruiting front.

Jim Williamson 7 years, 8 months ago

sonofdaxjones (anonymous) says... This comment was removed by the site staff for violation of the usage agreement.

Daxipad, we hardly knew ye.