Wednesday, April 22, 2009

KUsports.com plans live stream of Xavier Henry press conference

Touted basketball recruit Xavier Henry appears to be ready to make his decision about where he’ll play college basketball next season.

He has planned a news conference to announce his decision at 11:15 Thursday morning, and KUsports.com will be live in Oklahoma City streaming back video of his announcement.

Join the Jayhawk Nation live on KUsports.com at 11:15 a.m. to find out whether Henry will in fact play college basketball at Kansas University.

Live coverage of the Henry announcement is sponsored by Jayhawk Bookstore.

Comments

justinryman 10 years, 9 months ago

Well this pretty much says that he will be picking KU, if not then the egg is on KUsports face.

jayhawkinATL 10 years, 9 months ago

I agree, justinryman. Anything otherwise would be a major embarrassment!!!

melrank 10 years, 9 months ago

I don't know if they will have egg on their face, but if the Henry's don't choose KU tomorrow there will certainly be a stream of something on this sight . . . and I'm guessing it won't be pretty.

Here's to hoping the news is good!

Andrew Moore 10 years, 9 months ago

They know that if they stream it, we will watch it if we can - regardless of where they choose to go.
I heard X's high school coach on the radio today, he said they were going to Kansas in everyway possible without coming right out and saying it. He doesn't want to steal X and CJ's thunder, but I'm 100% sure that these guys are a lock to be at Kansas. Tomorrow it will be Rock Chalk Jayhawk at Putnam City HIgh.
KU is locked and Loaded for a big time season next year.

WeAreTheChamps 10 years, 9 months ago

I'm trying not to get too excited about this because it's not official yet and I don't want to be let down. But I can't help it! I should go to sleep now just so tomorrow will get here sooner.

Ryan Wood 10 years, 9 months ago

How is the egg on KUSports' face if Xavier goes elsewhere? That's like saying that they'll look stupid if they go cover the NCAA Tournament and KU doesn't win it.

Whether or not Xavier chooses KU, KU is involved heavily in this story. So it makes perfect sense.

Quit being stupid.

WeAreTheChamps 10 years, 9 months ago

Wow. Espn's Andy Katz wrote an article about the guys picking Kansas and how they'll be playing with Sherron and Cole. Of course it says "Source: Henry brothers pick KU."

They gotta pick KU now!

iluvdbskxjayhawks 10 years, 9 months ago

I'm going to be watching it. Thank-you KUsports.com for having a live feed for the conference tomorrow! You guys are great! Even if X doesn't want to come here, there's other people that will love to become Jayhawks.

jayhawkinATL 10 years, 9 months ago

Talk about being "stupid", HowMuchRice!!! Your analogy is right up there!!!

jayhawkinATL 10 years, 9 months ago

It's about how many times do you need the door shut in your face!!!

Martin Rosenblum 10 years, 9 months ago

The Memphis TV stations are reporting the "defection" of the Henry brothers as a sure thing tonight. I'm sure the network affiliates wouldn't want egg on their faces if this wasn't factual.

So.....the reality of having the Morris brothers and the Henry brothers all playing a the same time something that would be quite interesting.

jayhawker85 10 years, 9 months ago

The egg would be on pretty much everyone but KU Sports on this one. I read on Fox Sports, ESPN, NewsOk and ZagsBlog that he already chose KU, and last I checked, he still has to have the press conference. All KUSports is doing is going down to cover the thing live so us fanatic fans can have visual confirmation of his decision.

jayhawker85 10 years, 9 months ago

and oh. Rivals said it too... As a KU fan it would be great for Xavier to commit, but funny that the Enormous Sports Programming network and everyone else was wrong. It's not like they haven't been before. ESPN said Shannahan was going to be the coach of the Chiefs and it was all over the front of their website.

WeAreTheChamps 10 years, 9 months ago

Just watched on Sportscenter that "Xavier is going to Kansas and so is CJ." Kinda surprised they did it on Sportscenter because they did say they've only heard from a source close to Memphis or whoever the "source" is. Not that I don't want them to come here, but it would be kind of funny if they didn't after EVERYONE has reported they are.

brooksmd 10 years, 9 months ago

It's like the mythical birth certificate no one has ever seen that is sealed away in Hawaii. I'll believe it when I see him sign the letter.

keith horinek 10 years, 9 months ago

They can only sign one letter of intent. X signed his with Memphis. His presense at KU will only be a verbal agreement.

shoedee 10 years, 9 months ago

Assuming this all happens at 11:15, Xavier comes to KU, ... I've got to get something off my chest that I've been thinking about for a while now but no one has seemed to address.

Calipari leaves Memphis and goes to UK, supposedly he is therefore at one of the great "traditioned" schools and will be able to duplicate the recruiting and coaching success he had at Memphis ... but wait, ... not so fast.

These high caliber recruits went to Memphis for a reason... yes to play for Calipari, but there seem to be some other factors in play as well. For one, Memphis has some tradition but not the kind where over the years there have been heart-break losses late into the tournament and a love-hate relationship with a particular school. So for example, as a KU grad, I don't like Duke because they beat us in 1986 and 1991. Of course, we beat them in 1988 and 2003. Think about our rivalry with Carolina from 1957, 1991, 1993 and last year. Even apart from Roy coaching at UNC, I had a bad taste in my mouth from 1993 and in reading about the triple OT loss in 1957.

Here's my point, I think it is nearly inconceivable for Xavier to play at UK because in one respect, to spurn his parents' alma mater and the school he grew up loving, for Memphis isn't really that deep a cut. However, for a KU legacy to spurn his parents' school for a UK or UNC or Duke is almost inconceivable... not just for us but for X as well! It's like the thought of a KU legacy in a UK uniform is like seeing Tom Brady in a Colts uniform. It's like a kind of psychological block to go to a UK when you've been bred as a KU guy your whole life. Memphis was a school with some tradition and has been in some big games over the year but not nearly to the extent of the UKs, UNCs and KUs.

For another, I always got the sense we lost a few recruits to Memphis, if for nothing else because of the diversity of the city of Memphis. A kid from the city might have more draw and feel more "at home" in a place like Memphis. Of course, city kids have come to Lawrence only to fall in love with the place because of how great L-town is to them. But if a potential recruit has any reservation going to KU because of it being in a small town or midwest, how much more Lexington!!! The deep south is much further removed from, say, Chicago or NY city, than the midwest.

All that to say, I think while Calipari might be at a great traditioned school, he might have a harder time getting big-time recruits to come to Lexington as he did to Memphis. While Calipari would have had the best recruiting class in Memphis, since maybe the fab 5, the jury is still out just how just many high caliber guys he will be able to get to UK. Whew! I got that off my chest.

bballpurist 10 years, 9 months ago

Congratulations KU on winning the championship in 2010. The George Costanza opposite curse is now officially upon us...

Eliott Reeder 10 years, 9 months ago

Can't hear nuthin'. Speak up Mrs. Henry! Quit messin' with your Blackberry Xavier!!! What did he say!?!?!?!?!?

Eliott Reeder 10 years, 9 months ago

Well, I got to SEE his announcement, but couldn't hear what he said and can't read lips. You need a much better mic on your camera Jesse. Can someone please tell me if he finally picked KU or not!?!

Eliott Reeder 10 years, 9 months ago

It's official. University of Kansas is the choice. Two championships in three years anyone?

WeAreTheChamps 10 years, 9 months ago

I had to put headphones on too but yes he definitely chose Kansas.

bballpurist 10 years, 9 months ago

Great job on the audio - heard every single word...this is 2009, not 1909, right?

Todd Mobray 10 years, 9 months ago

LJW, if you are going to do this type of stuff in the future, you may want to actually send someone who knows what they are doing rather than a reporter with a camcorder. On the other hand, this was free and live and you get what you pay for. Thanks for trying.