Originally published November 18, 2008 at 07:46a.m., updated November 18, 2008 at 08:06a.m.

Henry picks Memphis

Xavier Henry, a 6-foot-6 senior guard from Putnam City (Okla.) High, has decided to play college basketball at the University of Memphis, he announced on ESPN News Tuesday morning.

Xavier Henry, a 6-foot-6 senior guard from Putnam City (Okla.) High, has decided to play college basketball at the University of Memphis.

Henry, whose brother C.J., is a freshman guard at Memphis and parents both attended KU, made the announcement this morning on ESPN.

"The deciding factor was getting my last chance to play with my brother at Memphis and keeping my family together so everybody can watch all the games and everything," Henry told ESPN. "It was really hard (turning KU down) because I loved everything about the school, the coaches, the players. I knew who I'd be playing with. I had to figure out what was most important to me. I ended up choosing Memphis."

Obviously, most important was playing with his brother.

"We know how to play. We play great. We should take over Memphis," Xavier said.

KU has already signed two players in the class of 2009. They are No. 18-rated Thomas Robinson, a 6-foot-8 forward from Brewster Academy in Wolfeboro, N.H., and Elijah Johnson, a 6-2 guard from Las Vegas Cheyenne High who is ranked No. 27 according to Rivals.com.

Wednesday is the final day of the early signing period.

For more on this story, check back to KUsports.com.

Comments

rtjayhawk 6 years, 8 months ago

Saw this live on ESPN....I know we'll be fine without him, but it sure would've been nice to have him on the team...

Ian Brown 6 years, 8 months ago

Wow. I did not expect to turn on ESPN this morning and see Xavier Henry choosing Memphis over Kansas. What happened to waiting until spring? Well.. Is this 2008 NCAA Championship thing going start helpnig our recruiting anytime soon? We couldn't even land a guy whose parents are both Kansas alumni. Anyway, like I said to Snaer, good luck X. Henry. Who's next? Wall?

kcphantom 6 years, 8 months ago

Good riddance. KU basketball isn't about one-and-done players.At least now Coach Self doesn't have to wait around wondering if he should keep that scholarship available.

KEITHMILES05 6 years, 8 months ago

This is a pretty crushing blow to Self. He's been on this kid forever. As many times as XH has been to KU and with his family ties AND CJ committing to KU.......then, he goes to Memphis and XH follows him there. I'm sorry but this really hurts. Putting all this aside we have a game tonight and a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP banner to raise. Screw Memphis.

Ian Brown 6 years, 8 months ago

kcphantom - I think you are absolutely right about that, KU basketball is not about one-and-done players. I am sure Henry knows that too and took that into consideration when making his choice. With Henry gone to Memphis, I'm excited to see who we do land.

TwinCitiesJHawk 6 years, 8 months ago

RT, I hear they are playin a game of cheeky cheeky with Dominic soon at Stadium View

Ian Brown 6 years, 8 months ago

Bill Self is going to be live on ESPN here in a bit. Also, I'm not sure if this is the place, but do any of you know if you can order ESPN U for a single game or night, or do you have to subscribe to an entire month or something along those lines? Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

rcaltrider 6 years, 8 months ago

KU is better off without him. They don't need any 1 and done players. They don't help the program. This kid is better off at Memphis and the me-first atmosphere. Apparently his face is fine now. Enjoy your one year with this guy Tigers, he's your type of player. He's a lot of flash and style but will leave your trophy room empty in the end. He says it doesn't matter where his brother plays and now he says his choice is because he wants to play with his brother. Whatever, who cares? I think the bigger loss this week was Snaer. Now they must land Cheek, Wall, or Stephenson. I think Wall and Stephenson are long-shots at best. I think they have to concentrate on and get Cheek.

6 years, 8 months ago

Good luck, Xavier. Would have been nice to have you at KU.Thing to keep in mind Jayhawk faithful, our program is bigger than one player. Time to focus on Cheek and Wall, or any hidden gems out there.Rock Chalk Jayhawk!!

arcticjhawk 6 years, 8 months ago

I have to say that I am glad Xavier didn't come to KU. We do not need to start getting into the one and done players. We had the opportunity to watch 7 basketball players turn from freshmen to seniors (alright not all 7) and it was a much more fulfilling experience having them win the Championship last year. We currently have all the rough talent we need to make another run. Maybe not this year, but we will get there. Patience will be the key for the players and the fans. Much love from the arctic circle!!P.

kujayhawk 6 years, 8 months ago

Uh, if CJ is playing along side you, Memphis won't be winning any national championship.

63Jayhawk 6 years, 8 months ago

Have any of you considered the possibility that when CJ finally decided to go to college and play basketball that Coach Self may not have been been willing to spend one of his currently available scholarships on CJ? Perhaps that is the case and perhaps, as Xavier said, that is exactly the reason Xavier decied on Memphis (to play with his brother). I'm sure that Coach Self would have liked to have him on the team, but I doubt that he is crsuhed that he will not be on the team. The bottom line is that I trust Coach Self to be able to build the team with good players, and with the mix which will make KU successful.

Michael Ales 6 years, 8 months ago

I agree with kcphantom, let him go to Memphis and win a lot of games, but not THE GAME. Teamwork wins championships. Those willing to stick it out and learn to play together. Not these selfish one-and-dones. Since the 19 year old rule went into effect none have won the PRIZE. We have a great group of talented young men, and two exceptional talented recruites coming in. Be faithful and patient KU fans, I have the atmost faith in Coach Self to mold these young men into champions.

6 years, 8 months ago

63Jayhawk ~ The New York Yankees organization is picking up the tab for CJ's college. He is a walk-on at Memphis.

railer1122 6 years, 8 months ago

Self believes in players staying for many years. Not one as Henry will be one and done. KU will be fine, we will fine a gem out of this class.

Dyrk Dugan 6 years, 8 months ago

i don't know.....i thought he would be coming. if his brother isn't given a gift...to play major college bball...then he's coming to Kansas. We'll still land a very, very good wing player either still this fall, or in the spring. He's a heckuva player, a legacy recruit....good luck to him in Memphis.

63Jayhawk 6 years, 8 months ago

Thanks txrockchalk. I had forgotten that!

jchief40 6 years, 8 months ago

Now I am holding out hope for Cheek... CHEEK I wanted you all along? Yeah that's right screw those others we want YOU to play for KU.

Joe Joseph 6 years, 8 months ago

I'm not going to lie. I would like to see Kansas land one of these superstar talents for once. You look at the UNCs, Dukes, UCLA,s... they all land these types of players once in a while... Why can't Kansas?I'm not criticizing Bill Self. I just wonder why he hasn't been able to get one of these guys?

jchief40 6 years, 8 months ago

ALSO!!! Do you all still think THE SHIVER has ANY freaking credibility after henry goes to MEMPHIS>?? I remember "hearing a lot of X to KU from my sources" - man I could do THAT! These people are just freaking fools running a retarded site and just going off their hunches and all that and coming across as having "inside information" One of the two whiffed on Snaer and the site got Henry wrong as well. THE SHIVER IS A FRAUD. That is the dumbest website I have ever come across and have removed it as a book mark. Those guys are phoneys just like everyone else here who made their guesses. What a damned joke. Camacho and Shiver whoever you are. In the words of Lord Ferral: SUCK ONE!

Brian Skelly 6 years, 8 months ago

Anyone who says that were "better off" with out Xavier Henry is high. He's the best H.S. player in the country that was uncommitted (until now).That said, I do agree with the "one and done" mentality that isnt beneficial long term to a program, even one that will get top guys annually like KU will.Dont dwell on it folks. We'll be fine. Even if XH becomes the top pick in next years draft.

TtownHawk 6 years, 8 months ago

Oh well, good riddence. We're Kansas, we'll be fine.

jchief40 6 years, 8 months ago

stupidmichael.. you're stupid. We got T-Rob and Johnson. Stupid Michael!

Ryan Sullivan 6 years, 8 months ago

Anybody really not see this coming? Shouldn't have to take this long to pick ku. Maybe he knew he'd be forced to work at ku so he took the easy route. This guy sounds like a one and done so memphis probably wash the right choice for him. Now we're down to cheek. Snaer would have been a good fit. Cheek would be a great fit. I'm really glad all the fans at late night wasted all their enthusiasm on henry. Hope cheek decides to end it early and complete our class.

KGphoto 6 years, 8 months ago

I'm fully stoked about Robinson and Johnson. Just their level of commitment to KU makes such a difference. Some of the things Robinson said about being here to win. He's not here to play with brother, he's here to get better and win games. And Johnson's excitement to be playing at Kansas is awesome.If someone told me I could take ZAH-viay Henry, or both Robinson and Johnson, I'd take those two guys every time. I sense Self would do the same.As far as wishing Henry luck. Well, I don't wish him bad luck. I just don't really care.

KUPROUD 6 years, 8 months ago

Bill Self seems to be able to land players that form a great, unselfish team. It's hard to argue with a national championship. While the attention generated by a glitter player like X would feel good, the chemistry of top-notch unselfish players who give it all for the team will make us all proud. Good luck, X. I hope you find success. But we have already moved on. Welcome, Elijah Johnson.

jchief40 6 years, 8 months ago

Well KU will be playing Memphis next year so we'll see who comes out on top. Is it just me or is that going to be an awesome game or what?

Joe Joseph 6 years, 8 months ago

I've been thrilled with the recruits Bill Self has brought in - including Robinson and Johnson...It just seems like he always misses out on those huge superstar-esque players.

Chris Weaver 6 years, 8 months ago

i can't understand why so many people are saying that they are glad X chose memphis and that they didn't want him here anyway. sounds like the loser lament to me. he would have made a great hawk. that being said, i still like our chances with the talent HCBS pulls in and the coaching. i just watched the national championship game again this morning, and it was amazing to see how well our guys came together. guys like DJ, sasha, and RuRob were amazing testaments to our coaching staff.it wont be long till we're cuttin' down some nets in april again. i bet we do it before memphis.

justanotherfan 6 years, 8 months ago

To all the folks that say we shouldn't recruit guys that are hyped one and done, when did you want to give that banner back? Yeah, that's right, the championship banner...Or did you all forget that Brandon Rush was a one and done prospect?Darrell Arthur was a one and done prospect?Yes, both stayed more than one year, but they started out as one and dones. A lot can change in a year. All I know is that if B Rush doesn't come to KU, we likely have Micah Downs trying to cover Kevin Durant in the Big XII title game two years ago. You think Downs could have slowed down Durant's torrid shooting?If there is no Darrell Arthur we have - uh, we have - we don't really have anybody replacing Darrell that I can see. Maybe we are dependent on a lesser player instead of an NBA prospect.Yes, that is what this is about. To win the NCAA title you have to have NBA caliber players. You will not win an NCAA title with a bunch of really good college players. You need NBA talent, preferably lots of it. Check the last several champs and runners up.2008 - Kansas (Rush, Arthur, Chalmers, Jackson, Kaun), Memphis (Rose, Douglas-Roberts, Dorsey)2007 - Florida (Horford, Brewer, Noah, Richard, Speights, Green), Ohio St. (Oden, Conley, Cook)2006 - Florida (see above), UCLA (Farmar, Afflalo)2005 - UNC (Williams, McCants, Felton, May), Illinois (Williams, Head, Brown)No less than a couple NBA caliber players on their roster. Look at how loaded every team in this year's Final Four was. KU had 5 NBA ready players, plus probably two others that will be in the league soon (Collins, Aldrich). Memphis has another couple guys that will probably play in the League (Anderson, Taggart). UNC has Hansborough, Green, Ellington and Lawson. UCLA had Love and they still have Collison and Shipp. NBA talent on rosters:KU = 7Memphis = 5UNC = 4UCLA = 3Which is pretty much exactly how things broke out at the FF. Don't be deceived. We want these potential one and dones. We'd like them to stay more than just one year, but that doesn't mean we don't want them to begin with.

kvskubball 6 years, 8 months ago

Shows once again that blood is thicker than water. Good luck X. It would have been nice to have you at KU.Such is life...Well, in the 10+ years of one-and-done, I think Melo is the only one to have cashed a NC, and he didn't do it by himself. He wasn't the one that blocked Mike Lee's shot!!!Ohio St. is a great example of riding the OaD. They've made the FF once, but that took several OaD's, Conley and Oden, etal. Otherwise it's simply been a revolving door, creating no cohesion. I prefer Coach Self's approach.We'll be OK, but I gotta be honest, this one hurts. Still, X made an understandable choice to play with his Bro...RCJH

KGphoto 6 years, 8 months ago

Mario was a huge superstar player, no? Bigger than Rose and Beasley I'd say. And he's got a nice ring to prove it. Self makes his superstars.

sdoyel 6 years, 8 months ago

Is it me or is the text on this site EXTREMELY large now? Did whoever designed it need glasses?Anyways....You can't say we didn't see this coming. That sleazeball Calipary knew X was coming to Memphis the whole time. I mean, who doesn't want to play in a "me" offense against high school teams night in and night out?I wouldn't be shocked to see Wall pick the Tigers either.We'll be fine, in the meantime we'll stock the cupboards with players willing to buy into the "team" concept. We saw how that worked out last season right?

Alex Lent 6 years, 8 months ago

When will Self be on ESPN and which network?

2piecespicy 6 years, 8 months ago

we will see him on an episode of "the First 48" from memphis soon

BigTamale 6 years, 8 months ago

I won't bash the guy for not choosing us...It would've been nice had he decided to play here. We certainly would've been praising his decision had he chose KU.Im sure Self has his replacement in line and is already recruiting Option B,C, and D..

Dick Murdock 6 years, 8 months ago

They may have the Henry brothers but we have the National Championship. We'll be fine without him.

kufankam 6 years, 8 months ago

justanotherfan-you took the words right out of my mouth.... you are exactly right! just because a player starts out as "one and done" talent, doesn't make them a for sure "one and done" when they get here. The teams you cited (including our last year nat'l champs) are proof of that! Good luck Xavier! We would have loved to have had you, but trust that Self will load the roster with talent... No matter what!

RockChalkJacob 6 years, 8 months ago

I admit it sucks but I say that because of his deep KU roots. I dont hate the kid for wanting to play with his brother, you gotta think Calipari used the walk on move with CJ to pull him in. Lets go Cheek come join Tyshawn, If Mario, Brandon, Darrell, Sasha, Russell, and Darnell were one in done's we wouldnt have beat MEMPHIS ironicly in this situation, and be able to watch that beautiful Championship Banner fall tonight....We are Kansas we dont have to beg people to make us great....Rock Chalk Jayhawk!!! Oh and Im sure X will be sad with the possibility of Calapari heading to Arizona after this year, so he can coach in a real conference not the A-10 or conference USA.

Jaminrawk 6 years, 8 months ago

I had a feeling this was gonna be the result. As soon as these high school players start to rocket up the charts on recruiting sites, their desire to play for a "team" program starts to diminish. Personally, I think we as KU fans got caught up in it all. KU never lands one-and-done players. Kids have to earn their spot at KU. Rush, Collins and Arthur all came off the bench at one time or another. What does bother me is that Calipari seems to be able to do the impossible. Think about it. He gets guys like DaJuan Wagner, Derrick Rose, Tyreke Evans and now Xavier Henry to all commit to a program that plays in one of the weakest conferences and has yet to win a National Championship. Not to mention the black eye Calipari gave the UMASS program with recruiting violations. Maybe it's sour grapes, but something doesn't seem right. Good luck winning it all since Taggart, Anderson, Dozier and Evans will all be gone next year. I'm sure CJ can make up all of that scoring.I agree with the poster above about Cheek. I have been high on that kid since he started showing interest in KU. Maybe he will stay for a couple of years if we get him. KU is gonna be loaded next year even without Henry. Robinson, Johnson and Cheek. That sounds like an incredible freshman class.

nammyjignigh 6 years, 8 months ago

So long XH. Everyone is right in that we are better off without him. Everyone might also be forgetting that Aldrich and Collins might stay for their junior and senior years respectively. The question is would you rather have an unproven incoming freshman in XH, or proven athletes in our system of play in guys who might stick around. XH will have a great career in the end i believe, and I think that's what his goals are. But he would've fit in about as well as Lester Earl or Luke Axtell. This time next year, we won't even be mad that he made the decision he did.

jh1808 6 years, 8 months ago

One thing that you are leaving out justanotherfan is that almost every team that has won a national championship in the last 10 years has had a solid core of upperclassmen...with the exceptions being Florida's first when they were mainly sophs and Melo's '03 team. In a tournament format, teams with more EXPERIENCED talent will have a better shot at the title than a team of uber-talented freshmen. Look at what the two best freshmen in the history of college basketball (Durant and Beasley) did in the NCAA tournament. I think that you not only have to recruit talent, but recruit talent that you will be able to keep and develop over 2-3 years. That is how national championships are won.

Ryan Wood 6 years, 8 months ago

Kansas is better off without him? I think Self's nonstop recruiting of this kid for several years now will disagree with you.Don't be mad and say stupid things just because he turned down your beloved Hawks.

Matt2112 6 years, 8 months ago

I had my fears since X's brother walked on at Memphis. I lived there 2 years, and that place SUCKS! Elijah will just have to show them all!

r1ck_jayhawk 6 years, 8 months ago

Ibrown3.... I had to add ESPNU as a sports pack on DirecTV. Its like $12 per month. But there are i believe 8 or so games on it this year. If you have Comcast (in Missouri, I know it sucks....) then you can't get it at all. That's why I went to DirecTV.

Philip Garver 6 years, 8 months ago

They are about to do a story on this on ESPNU right now

JayhawkCasey 6 years, 8 months ago

If you live in Lawrence and have Sunflower Broadband channel 2 is showing ESPNU and they did this for the last game too.

RawkChawkJHawk 6 years, 8 months ago

I think the writing was on the wall when X was quoted in the Snaer story last week. He said: "Of course my brother going to Memphis is a plus. I look at the playing styles and the people who are going to be there WHEN I'm there ... who can take care of me right." http://www2.kusports.com/news/2008/nov/14/snaer_chooses_florida_state/He said when. Not if. That's when I knew he'd made up his mind. I agree with those on here who have said we should have seen this coming. That family is very tight. No way he was going to break up the party, no matter what his parents' ties to KU are.Also, make no mistake -- this is a loss for KU and a personal blow to Coach Self. Any idiots saying "good riddance" either don't know what they're talking about or are just sore losers. Coach Self was after this guy for a LONG time and very much wanted him here. That all said, the class is coming together well. I still think we can land another solid player -- Wall or Cheek. I'm not counting on it, though.

Tom Gillaspie 6 years, 8 months ago

X going to Memphis should come as no surprise. He wants to be (and to give him credit, he has said this all along) on a team that will make him the profiled player, so he can jump to the NBA in one year. Calipari is the type of coach that will give him that environment. Self is a team first coach. In conference usa (not a strong enough conference to justify caps) he will be able to put up big numbers against weak competition. In the Big 12 he would have had to play against a higher level of competition with fewer opportunities to post the big numbers. Get used to the fact that Kansas is rarely going to attract the one-and-done players. It simply doesn't fit with the program, or with Self's coaching style. I feel that a championship is worth going through periods (like this year will probably be) of adjustment with new players fitting into Self's system. The biggest down-side I see is that we are on a cycle that has one class with so many scholarships. This will eventually change, but for now it is a blessing and a curse. Consider what this big group could be like next year, or the next. With experience and a few key additions it is possible we could hang another banner in 2010 or 2011. I may not be the biggest Bill Self fan around, but I do believe he has a system that works, and now that he has won the "big game" I think he has the intelligence to know what it takes to do it again.

oldalum 6 years, 8 months ago

I agree with Jaminarock. KU fields a TEAM, and few of the one and dones find that appealing. If they are just looking for a place to showcase their talents before they move on, they need to make a splash in their first year. Just look at what Brandon, Mario, etc. gave up by playing team ball. Not an All American on the whole team despite their talent.

jhawkfan22 6 years, 8 months ago

Personally, I think he looked at who had just signed and decided playing time would be better at Memphis. Purely speculation, but we just signed two studs in Robinson and Johnson, so X was going to have to compete with some guys for floor time.

Blake Post 6 years, 8 months ago

Hawks still rule and always will. We are the champions and Memphis is not the champion for 2008. Memphis can never change that. My memories of being there will not change. So many people said that Memphis should have fouled. Well, watch the tape. They did foul Collins. The refs didn't find it necessary to decide the game. We rock.The rule should change. If you foul in the last two minutes outside of the three point line... THREE SHOTS, whether you were shooting or not. This would alleviate the coward strategy Bobby Knight stated he would have used: Call time out and foul. I do admire memphis if it was its plan to defend rather than foul.

JayCeph 6 years, 8 months ago

I think was soooo familiar with KU that he felt he needed to try something new. Perhaps he was too close to the program and its history to fully appreciate the gravity of what it would mean for him to be a part of the mystique.I wish him much happiness but I won't wish good luck upon his new team.I'm sure KU will find some way to cob together a functional team next season without him... some way, some how, they'll manage to scrape by. ;)

Robert Brock 6 years, 8 months ago

KU got beat for the best player in the Class of '09. It hurts. I suggest that KU needs to move on and look to the 2010 class where there are still some talented players available (ones without baggage). We will be fine.

jcsmith 6 years, 8 months ago

COME ON CHEEK. YOU'VE GOT YOURSELF A SCHOLORSHIP IF YOU WANT IT BABY. JUST TAKE IT.

kufankam 6 years, 8 months ago

jh1808-i think that what justanotherfan's post was trying to say is that those upperclassman rich teams had previously labelled "one and done's" on them. i am not in favor of going after one and done prospects who are all about themselves and won't play within the scheme of the system. however, i think those who place the selfish label on xavier are incorrect. for instance, while texas did not win it all with durant, you are crazy if you don't think he did wonders for their program. part of the equation has to do with when you take a guy who will be there for a year. the perfect example would be last years memphis team. surround a one and done with a solid core and watch him flourish (rose). however, take a one and done with a weak supporting cast (i.e. beasley and mayo), good luck making it past the second round each year. i think it has a lot to do with the character of the "one and done" guy as well as the timing and make up of the roster. however, less we forget that sometimes a one and done 18/19 yr old gets hurt and comes back as a junior to lead a team to a nat'l championship...

Martin Rosenblum 6 years, 8 months ago

Great comments about the "big" numbers that he will undoubtedly be able to brag about in his college "career". Let's see... against, SMU, UTEP, Rice, Southern Mississippi and the other perinnial post-season stud teams from Conf. USA. X will probably go the same route that Rose went after his one year stint at U of M. When he does go the NBA, he'll also choose not to be announced as having played at Memphis, rather ".......at guard, from Chicago,,,". No worries about his contributions to the student-athlete graduation rate, or his brother's either. If the NY Yankees are paying for CJ's "education", even if he is a walk-on, how does that not become an NCAA violation of some sort? Did somebody post that KU is scheduled to play Memphis next year? I haven't seen this anywhere. Details..?

Chris Shaw 6 years, 8 months ago

I have to admit I was a little shocked this morning. What are you going to do? It would be nice to get the #1 guy in the class once in a while, but Memphis got "X" and we got the Championship. I'll take the Championship! I didn't think there was anyway Wall would come to Kansas, but there still might be an outside shot of getting him. I think Wall and "X" will be teammates at Memphis. I also agree with the posters above that landing Cheek would round out this already star studded 2009 class.Did anyone else see John Calipari's ESPN interview last night. I like Memphis (A whole lot more than UNC and UCLA) and I like Calipari as a coach, but he came away from that interview really sad in my opinion. Talking about how devastating that loss was to his family, the kids, the university, the city, and etc................... I don't want to use the word "Pathetic", but it's llike when are you going to get over it. It was like watching a pity party. I just thought he looked really bad in the interview.

TheTruth08 6 years, 8 months ago

Good riddance. I'm glad it's over. I'm still wondering why it took so long. Memphis was obviously his choice. His act wore thin on me as the recruiting period had gone along. And no I'm not wishing him good luck. That's for KU only. I hope he averages 8 points a game and becomes a bust. I hope Memphis finishes with only 17 wins and loses in the first round of the tournament.

dwill33 6 years, 8 months ago

Ya i hate how he and some of the media are portraying the ku championship. All I heard was that it was Memphis' championship, they should be wearing the hats and celebrating. But guess what, your not! You didnt give it away. Opposing teams dont "give away" the championship that they are fighting for. We took it! I am tired of hearing their crap and excuses. That might just be my bias shining through but thats how I feel. KU earned every bit of their national championship. And it is theirs, not Memphis'. They can have Henry. Never thought he would committ here in the first place. He thinks he is too good. All these comments i am hearing him say. "We will take over Memphis, and we are great players." Hopefully his basketball skills dont match his modesty skills, well now that he is at memphis hopefully they do. I am def not a memphis fan, at all.

ChicagoJHawk 6 years, 8 months ago

Justanotherfan,I completely agree! Where do you guys get this idea from, that Self doesn't want one & done players??? You really think he's going to turn down a Michael Beasley/Kevin Durant type player? That would just be plain stupid to do that. Self has even said he will gladly take 1 of those guys if he gets the chance. The fact that he's been trying so hard to get X Henry should be proof of that. Not only that, but like justanotherfan said, Rush & Arthur were supposed to be one & done players and he went after them. Self was even trying to recruit Rose & CDR but they chose Memphis instead. You can play as a team, and still have that one and done player taking a lot of the shots.I'm not worried about not getting X. We're pretty loaded as it is & have other really, really good recruits coming in. I think we'll get Dominic Cheek. Keep your fingers crossed!

chapel4ku 6 years, 8 months ago

When was the last time a "one and done" player won the title?? Beasley...NO, Rose...NOPE, Durant...NAH, you have to go back to 2003 with a one and doner we all know too well, Melo'. X can go to Memphis and help them raise another banner...national champion runner-up banner that is.Can't wait to see our NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP banner tonight!! Rock Chalk!!

thedudelovesKU 6 years, 8 months ago

i agree kushaw...the interview was a pity party. but i think its mostly because it was a memphis game. I'm sure had it been KU playing last night they would have given KU due credit for their stellar national championship victory. All the same it would have been nice had calipari given bill self and his team credit....so what did Coach Self say this morning on ESPN? I didn't get a chance to see it since i was nursing my white russian hangover.

6 years, 8 months ago

It looks like Lebowski has some friendly competition - - as long as they both abide ;)

Drew Bender 6 years, 8 months ago

X. Henry- “Now it will be a lot funner playing on the same team with him instead of against him,” Xavier said. “We both know how to play and we play great, so we should take over Memphis.”I dont think X will be taking over Memphis with his brother on the court at the same time...The only minutes CJ will see are the mop up minutes... CJ Henry thinks he is an all-american and hasnt played since high school... And even in high school he was not highly recruited for basketball... The only reason he had a scholarship out of high school from KU was because of who his parents are

6 years, 8 months ago

He is a big dude, but I am not sure how wealthy. I believe most of his fortune has been spent on locating the rug that did such a good job of tying the room together :^)

DSommersby 6 years, 8 months ago

Would have loved to have Xavier become a Jayhawk as I cheered for his dad Carl rockin' the crimson and blue back in the day. He had a great total floor game. I think Calipari pulled a sly move getting his brother CJ when his status was unclear as a baseball player and that swung the deal. I really think the start of the KU school year starting two weeks before Memphis hurt us in getting CJ. He decided in late August to go back to school and the Hawks were already 10 days into practicing and getting ready to board a plane for the Canada trip. You have to wonder if all things were close to equal if CJ thought I can go to Memphis and still have time to unpack and get ready for the year and not be behind all my teammates with practice. Just always been my feeling. CJ played a huge part setting this decision in motion. I wish them all luck. Carl and Barbara are good Jayhawks. It was a lot easier for the family to all follow the sons once they were in Memphis. We lost this battle when Memphis got CJ to go there as he was driving home from a tough minor league season. Props to Memphis. Good luck to the Henrys. It does hurt that the timing may have cost us with Snaer and some of these other guys. We are still Kansas so Rock Chalk and I'll be cheering on the Jayhawks! Rock Chalk Champions!

thedudelovesKU 6 years, 8 months ago

it really tied the room together, did it not? anyhow i think xavier could have contributed to ku even if he was a one and one. if he had come to ku i would not be calling him zah-viahy. you would have been called Xavier...just like the school. you're not french (or whatver). Jim Rome is gonna have fun with himSigned,Andruw Jones

kufankam 6 years, 8 months ago

chapel4ku-When was the last time a "one and done" player won the title??-Brandon Rush-Darrell ArthurBoth were touted as "one and done" when they were recruited... Self has continued to say that players leaving early is a part of the system that is college basketball. I don't know why it is that people on this post are thinking that KU is this program that only takes 4yr guys as they are "team players"... KU has had several players come in and only last a couple or three years. It seems clear (based on words from coach self's mouth) that KU will continue to recruit players even if they may only be here 1,2 or 3 years. And that is okay. That doesnt make those players selfish.

biggee 6 years, 8 months ago

biggee (anonymous) says...Man you guys are sore loosers. Now lets see, if not for a Memphis meltdown, and a desperate heave at the end of the champion game, we are looking at a double here.Tell me something jayhawks? how can you condemn this kid for choosing Memphis and being one and done? What do you think Cheeks and Walls are ? Man get over it ,move on, LIke we told Illini- last year. Oh and there was a one and done freshmen last year that I'm glad that we had. Took us all the way to the Championship!!! COME ON ONE AND DONES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CBaller13 6 years, 8 months ago

No sore loser here - this decision hurts. Xavier and his family are hippocritical and probably cost us Michael Snaer. This is a huge loss for KU and the way the decision was handled by the Henry's is almost outrageous. I'm not even mad at Memphis, I will be rooting against Xavier Henry when they play. You don't go public with your wavering between schools. He's the Brett Favre of college basketball except he did nothing good for us in the past. I'm now just hoping and praying we land Stephenson or Cheek because if not we have no true scoring threat once Sherron leaves.

jh1808 6 years, 8 months ago

biggee...not our fault that you guys couldn't make your free throws...and that desperate heave will go down as one of the most clutch shots in the history of the tournament...enjoy your one and dones, your cupcake conference, your used car salesman coach, and your second place trophy. Nobody takes you guys seriously

MOHawk1 6 years, 8 months ago

I can't say that I am not disappointed, this would have been a huge land for us! But when it came down to it he did not belong at the or deserve to be at The University of Kansas. If you watched the press conference you should see that, the kid did not mention Bill Self by name once! I always thought Cheek was the better fit for the program anyway, but was greedy in wanting to land the Espn #1 player. Coach Cal did a great job giving CJ a schollie, when it came down to it that was the only thing that mattered. I'm not sure if Bill offered him one after taking two years off for Baseball, but maybe he should have.Time to move on...Bill needs to take a visit to see Cheek today!!Memphis will have to be Carl's #1 team nowRock Chalk Jayhawk!!!!!

DSommersby 6 years, 8 months ago

Biggee,Props on landing Xavier. Would have loved to have him as I posted above I cheered for his Dad, Carl, and loved his overall game. Xavier looks to be the same type of player. I think your comment about KU fans being sore losers has a little "Pot calling the kettle black" irony to it. You followed up that with, "if not for a Memphis meltdown, and a desperate heave at the end of the championship game, we are looking a double here". That comment has some sore loser excuse making if you ask me. Last I checked college basketball games are 40 minute regulation games. KU rallied and put itself in position to win the game. KU made more plays and therefore scored more points to win the Championship. Sorry you want to call it a meltdown, but don't come on here calling people sore losers and then spinning a meltdown and giving KU no credit in the Championship. Again, congrats on Xavier. I am sure he will be a tremendous player.Rock Chalk Championship!

AverageCitizen 6 years, 8 months ago

What difference does it make why he chose Memphis? X is X'ed out of my world now. Time to move on. We lost Snaer but why do I think that is not entirely a closed book? If Hamilton gets canned at the end of the season at Florida State (and we don't sign anyone new) maybe Snaer will ask out of his letter of intent and look our way again. Maybe we will sign Cheek but I just as soon NOT sign Stephenson. Talk about oil and water! He doesn't fit at all, even as good as he is.I am always suspicious of legacy or life long fans signing with the school they grew up liking. Some, like Johnson, do sign but others get enamoured with the "latest" next best thing. Can't count on these young kids. KU will be fine.

kvskubball 6 years, 8 months ago

biggee,Hey dude, you guys did a charity choke, but KU had to score 9 in 2+ minutes to get to OT and we did, so cram the meltdown crap. I know it makes you memwus fans feel better to think that your team melted, but that's only part of the story. KU won. Memphis fans are the ones who need to 'GET OVER IT'.Your OaD didn't take you to the Championship, he only took you to the championship game. KU won the NC. Just thought I'd set the facts straight!!!IF, I repeat IF, you win a NC, check back, until then stuff a sock in it!

biggee 6 years, 8 months ago

That's not sore losing Sommersby, Thats Fact!!!!!!!!

biggee 6 years, 8 months ago

Fact 1: One and dones are good for your teamFact 2: If not for that last second heave we are looking at a doubleFact 3 Cheek and Walls are one and done players.Fact 4 If Rush wouldn't have hurt himself he would've been gone before last yearFact 5 X Henry is comming to Memphis!!!!!!!!!!What about this is sore.

biggee 6 years, 8 months ago

You guys didn't come back. We missed freethrows.Just thought I would set the record straight.

86finalfour 6 years, 8 months ago

good luck. hope you can hit your free throws :)

jh1808 6 years, 8 months ago

Memphis will always have more one and dones than Kansas, even though Self and Cal recruit a lot of the same kids. Some kids who are looked at as one and done like Rush, Arthur, and Julian enjoy their time on campus so much and really buy into the team as a family philosophy that they forgo the draft to try and come back to win a championship. You won't have the same at Memphis because Calipari's system rewards a one on one get your own shot mentality. It comes down to the personality of the kid.

biggee 6 years, 8 months ago

jh1808 Let see. Cupcake schedule= used car salesman coach= top players in the nation= 2 elite 8 and a Championship game= reading all this crying = pricelessILL TAKE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

86finalfour 6 years, 8 months ago

Biggee, Actually Memphis did more than simply miss free throws. They allowed Sheron to steal the ball out of their hands during an inbounds pass and played awful defense down the stretch. And what about overtime? They had a whole extra period to prove that they were the better team. You are blind to your sour grapes. You are so sour i can smell it all the way over here in NYC, wherever you are. pew!!Rock Chalk!

biggee 6 years, 8 months ago

Come on, let be real, any player who has a chance- say again." CHANCE TO GO TO THE NBA WILL GO". only those who are hurt or not drafted high enough seem to enjoy the campus life

biggee 6 years, 8 months ago

NYC????? I didn't know they like college bball up there. How can you smell anything in NYC with all that traffic and pollution.

Lin Rahardja 6 years, 8 months ago

X is a one and done player. Remember, his Dad mentioned that X would have gone directly to the NBA if it wasn't because of the NCAA rule. In this article X also mentioned "I had to figure out what was most important to me."I am not so sure a one and done player can make a huge impact at KU where we emphasize on team approach more than anything. It seems that none of the one and done players win a college championship anyway. From all these publications, X doesn't look like the type of player that cares too much about NC, it's a good thing he went away.

DSommersby 6 years, 8 months ago

biggee,I do not have a problem with Self targeting certain one and done players. I never said I was against it so don't use that on me. We had several stretches of the game where we led, and you guys scrapped back to take the lead. The game is 40 minutes long regulation. We did enough and did more than Memphis when it counted. The Hawks were clutch, and unfortunately for you Memphis was not. Memphis is still a heck of team and was a great opponent, but do not denigrate our Championship with spin and excuses or you look like the sore loser you were calling some on here. You should be better than representing Memphis that way. Congrats on Xavier. Wanted him but he is Memphis's player now. X-Man should be a wonderful talent. Said many times I wanted him. I also wanted D. Rose but we bounced back from that missed recruit too. The only fact that really matters: Kansas 75 - Memphis 68KANSAS 2008 NATIONAL CHAMPIONSRock Chalk Championship

86finalfour 6 years, 8 months ago

And lastly, Bigge, here's some facts.Fact:Memphis has never beaten Kansas (lost in '87 too). Kansas 2 - Memphis 0And Fact:Kansas 75 - Memphis 68 Championship game 2008Numbers don't lie :)

biggee 6 years, 8 months ago

Man! I wish all College team thought the way u guys do. Send all those one and dones to Memphis and I will promise you a NC

biggee 6 years, 8 months ago

Now that hurts. I'm taking my ball and go home. but before I do. you forgot one fact: XHenry chose Memphis over Kansas......HA............

86finalfour 6 years, 8 months ago

i know and it's sad that it's all you got :)

Muska 6 years, 8 months ago

Kansas...ahead at halftime of the National Championship gameKansas...tied at the end of regulation in the National Championship gameKansas...ahead at the end of overtime in the National Championship game..biggee, face it...we led at half, and led at the end of the ballgame. YOU were the ones lucky enough to be tied at the end of regulation.You didn't choke at the charity stripe, either...that was a KNOWN weakness of Memphis all season. Cal even said something to the affect of how that shouldn't be an issue with them in the tournament. HA!Learn how to play better defense, make clutch shots, and make free throws throughout the course of a season before you let Cal blow his load all over your face. Sorry little guy, but you're outnumbered and outmatched here. We're KANSAS, and we are simply better than Memphis in every wat imaginable. Last years championship game can attest to that.

Drew Bender 6 years, 8 months ago

biggee- "Fact 2: If not for that last second heave we are looking at a double"IFIFIFIF my aunt had a penis she would be my uncle75-68

dccox7 6 years, 8 months ago

i guarantee that if he committed to KU, that all of you that are saying you dont want one and dones would be singing a different...we got our guy......this is too sweeet!! also, if you dont want one and dones, dont recruit Wall or Cheeks...peace poon-tangs!

jahoward77 6 years, 8 months ago

Guys, please don't feed the Tiger. Maybe he'll go away.

David Hall 6 years, 8 months ago

he dccox7 he just gon be there for one yearso i weed not get all happe

jaybate 6 years, 8 months ago

TOP TEN REASONS BIGGIE IS KU'S SUBMISSIVE:10: Biggie knows KU beat Mempuss with KU's B-game.9. Biggie knows Mempuss lost playing exactly as it always played: bricking FTs, defending like women.8: KU would have beaten Mempuss by 20 with KU's A-game.7: Biggie knows Mempuss choked twice: end of regulation, end of OT.6: Biggie knows KU has won 5 rings. Mempuss has choked on every chance it had at a ring.5. Biggie knows KU has landed better than X. KU has lost better than X. X is Mempuss' best.4. Biggie knows the 2008 banner is hangin' high in AFH.3. Biggie knows KU always beats teams with players like Durant, Beasely, Rose and X.2. Biggie KU will beat Mempuss with X.And the number one reason Biggie Is KU's supplicant...1 Biggie says, "Yes, sir, give me one more," whenever KU wins.Enjoy, X, Biggie, KU will be beating Mempuss with X, too.

DSommersby 6 years, 8 months ago

ESUJayhawk with a monster throw down jam! Fact: I gotta get ready to go to Allen Field House to see them unveil the newest National Championship Banner tonight!

jaybate 6 years, 8 months ago

ESUjayhawk,ALL TIME POST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!ROTFLMAO!!!!God, I wish I had thought of that!!!!

Mike Joseph 6 years, 8 months ago

Biggee-If coach Cal would have gotten his head out, he would have had someone foul before Super Mario launched the heave and sucked all the momentum out of western Tennessee.The game was Memphis' to win if they had played smart basketball. Cal needs to get over it and put the blame right where it belongs... on himself.I will take chemistry and experience over prima donna recruits anyday and twice on Sunday. Good luck X. Enjoy playing with CJ in a mid major conference.

Eye_On_Tigers 6 years, 8 months ago

The Memphis vs Kansas game in 2009 just got very interesting. The universe will finally be right.

CaramelMacchMan 6 years, 8 months ago

Chill out all KU Fans!! we are ganna be just fine..I have a solution!!Go to nearest Starbucks and get a Caramel Macchiato....-Eye_On_Tigersyou are right! we have a mini rivalry with Memphis...

NH_JHawk 6 years, 8 months ago

So much for waiting until the Spring signing period to announce. Good luck to you X. I know you'll enjoy beating up on all that inferior Conf. USA talent.

MOHawk1 6 years, 8 months ago

East Carolina Marshall Memphis Southern Miss UAB UCFHouston Tulsa Rice UTEP Tulane SMU Wow what a bunch of terrible schools in a terrible conference! This is the main reason why Memphis will always be sub par no matter how many top recruits they get: Sub par conference with sub par teams! Have fun playing in this terrible conference X!

CaramelMacchMan 6 years, 8 months ago

MOHawk1That is the point... He can post better scores left and right.

Eye_On_Tigers 6 years, 8 months ago

A mini rivalry would be fun to follow. It would also benefit the sos for both schools. It could also help with recruiting; UM will take all of the OaD players and KU can have who ever is left.

CaramelMacchMan 6 years, 8 months ago

Meet here and there in Final four and KU plays their C game and still finds the way to beet Memphis... yeah something like that...

kufankam 6 years, 8 months ago

Biggie, If you think Mario's shot was a heave, just ask Texas because he did the same exact same thing to them in the BIG 12 championship game 2 years ago. Same spot, same handoff, same result. Luck is a one time thing. I have friends that are not KU fans at all and even they know that KU, when down late, runs that same dribble handoff to Mario. Everyone knew it was coming except the half-wit Memphis coaches and players. I guess they aren't used to scouting their opponents in conference usa. Not fouling was only one of the blantanly obvious shortcomings of Cal in that situation... he should have known and his team should have known what play was coming and jumped the handoff. Biggie, have fun winning all year (agianst high school teams) until it really matters!

CBaller13 6 years, 8 months ago

I do and I recognize that Xavier is being teabagged.

kansaspike 6 years, 8 months ago

How creepy does X look in the frozen video above?Giving me the willy's.

dccox7 6 years, 8 months ago

<----- does this logo just make you all happyit makes me and xavier happy. Snaer even didnt want to be a part of your program.....im sorry

Chris Teegarden 6 years, 8 months ago

Man all this bickering back and forth over some 18 year old kid who wants to do what he loves for a living, really. This all seems dumb. X went where he can showcase himself the best. That's going to be MU over KU quite offten. We play very different styles of ball KU is a collective and MU is a one or two star focus. Is either one better than the other, no not really. Do they both make for fun games to watch, deffinetly.

Natedoggof04 6 years, 8 months ago

No matter how much we wanted Henry we all new that we werent going to get him since his brother went there you knew he would turn his back on him. And as for John Wall I think he is going to Memphis also alot of reports are reporting that he is going there also! So I dunno what next years class will bring us, I guess are best bet is to get Cheek but other than that will go for some 3 or 4 star maybe even 2 star recruits, The class of 2009 was hard for us but if you want to build a program just gotta wait and see what happens for the future, I know we will win more Championships we just gotta wait for guys to gradute from high school!

kufankam 6 years, 8 months ago

dccox7....<----this makes us all happy!!

lonestarjayhawk 6 years, 8 months ago

dccox7,the national championship makes us very happy. congrats on the fine recruit, but till you hang a championship banner, suck it!

MOHawk1 6 years, 8 months ago

Its amazing how many of you losers came over here to gloat. Getting top recruits means nothing if your teams fall short in March. So far X has done nothing for you...so as far as I'm concerned were missing out on nothing. Lets just wait and see what your 09 class of juco players and X can do for you when they get there! Caramelmacchman, my point is that Memphis is inferior. I am not concerned with X anymore. We all need to move on and realize even though they have X, we will have the Better University. Better Conference. Better Coach. Better program. Better Facilities. Better city. And a better team come 2009. Rock Chalk all you Memphis idiots! At least get yourself a national championship before trying to gloat about a simple recruit. By the way you have never beat us in basketball 0-2!

Chicago_JHawk 6 years, 8 months ago

X does look pretty creepy in the video still, kansaspike. Yikes.Just like with Snaer and everyone in years past...they're going somewhere else. It's over with. No reason to badmouth an 18yo kid because what he decided was best for him doesn't sit well with all of us. There are plenty of spots to go around. We've already got Johnson and Robinson who will be great, and now we wait until the spring. At that time, we'll know exactly how many more to fill. I like the thought of a mini-rivalry with Memphis. It should be a home and home, though, not a one time deal in StL.As for all the Memphis trolls...really?? Does this really make up for April 7? You can have every recruit from now till 2010 and I wouldn't care. I'll take the tradeoff.

MOHawk1 6 years, 8 months ago

Natedoggof04, what are you talking about,

Derek Conway 6 years, 8 months ago

Kansas will be just fine without Xavier everyone! Yes, he would have helped us a lot next year and maybe got us to the final four but then he would be gone. Wouldn't you guys rather have somebody like cheek who will be around for multiple years to help us get another championship? Plus, KU is not about one and dones. A guy like Cheek would help lead us to another title along with all of our freshman this year and next year. Lets keep focused on building on our recruiting class for next year instead of thinking about some guy on some team who we just happen to own!Here's to another great year of college basketball!

DSommersby 6 years, 8 months ago

I like KUFanKam's logo the best! The ring is the thing!

MOHawk1 6 years, 8 months ago

Really wish that kusports would just take his ugly face off the front of the site. He now has nothing to do with Kansas basketball

Kusportsshould Notrequirethis 6 years, 8 months ago

Until Memphis either beats us in a game or wins a title, their fan's posts mean nothing. On another note:Even without signing another recruit we will be fine. Both Johnson and Robinson are awesome players and will add to what will be a great team come this march. This year's class is awesome. While not a one them is as dominate as X will be his freshman year, they will mold into an outstanding TEAM, as this is the track record of Bill Self's TEAMS. Add next year's recruits and LOOK OUT!

Martin Rosenblum 6 years, 8 months ago

Lets's not lower ourselves to the level of these mouth-breathers. It's like getting into a pissing contest with a skunk! Let them waddle in the muck that is U of M basketball, played two blocks from some of the finest crack houses in the country. Maybe we could go onto the Memphis Website and post our comments. Oh yeah, they don't have the ability for posting comments! Makes you wonder why? ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK!

CaramelMacchMan 6 years, 8 months ago

dccox7of course that logo makes me happy...That is the team we played against in NC championship game and had amazing outcome... If you dont have the tape, i'll send it to you. Go watch it and make sure you have your moma with you cuz you are ganna cry like a little girl.

kupark 6 years, 8 months ago

Whoever thinks we're better off w/o Henry is dreaming. We could have definitely used it. As others have pointed out, BR and DA were also labeled as one and done and Self recruited them. If we had no need for him, then you've to admit Coach Self had been an idiot trying to recruit him all these years.Also, just imagine if for some reason Tyrek (?) Evans return for his second year. Pair him with Henry, and we might be looking at a NC for Memphis. And, they don't play the same position....Evans is 2 guard and Henry can play 3 in college. So, losing Henry IS a tough loss and potentially a very HUGE loss if Evans stays another year.Just admit it and move on: We lost the number #1 recruit, and he could be a huge asset for Memphis. I just hope that Calipari coach as dumb a game as he did at the end of the NC game when he runs into another tight one in the tourney, which is bound to happen for every team. Such coaching will ensure that Memphis never wins a NC no matter who plays for them!

topcityjayhawker 6 years, 8 months ago

He will come to regret this!!! He could have came and won a NC, but I guess that's not very important to this kid.

Jaminrawk 6 years, 8 months ago

God I love all of the Memphis fans talking smack. I'll take a National Championship against Memphis over a recruit any day.X will be a great player. No doubt. But good luck winning a championship once Dozier, Taggart, Anderson and Evans are gone. They will need X to score with that kind of loss.KU still has Robinson and Johnson coming in and a great chance to land Cheek, Wall, Favors or Stephenson. Not really worried. Anyone see our 2008 recruiting class that was ranked #2 in the nation? By the time those freshmen are sophmores and the JUCOs are seniors, KU will be the most balanced team inthe nation again.KU doesn't beat up on the UABs and the Southern Mississippi's of the world. We win championships.P.S. - Glad Xavier still lets his older brother make decisions for him.

cdibo 6 years, 8 months ago

For a program that considers its self to be "elite", you sure do spend a lot of time worring about other so called "smaller" programs. When you sit here and talk about the mistakes Memphis made at the end of the game, all you are saying is, Kansas didnt win the game, memphis lost it. You might want to give yourselves credit for winning, not Memphis losing it. No wonder Snaer and Henry didnt sign with you. And why Wall and Cheek wont either. FSU and Memphis might not have your tradition but, they`ve got the top 2 players YOU wanted.

Kusportsshould Notrequirethis 6 years, 8 months ago

cdibo. You should re-read the posts. The only poster saying that Memphis lost it and not that KU won it, is Biggie. Also, our program is Elite, and yes, your program is "smaller."

Kusportsshould Notrequirethis 6 years, 8 months ago

cdiboElite Program defined as:Over 110 years of competition.1st Coach: James Naismith (Inventor of the game)5 National Championships13 Final Fours3rd Winningest Team all time. -1st being Kentucky (Rupp Arena: Adolf Rupp played for KU)-2nd being North Carolina (Smith Center: Dean Smith played for KU)Definition of "smaller" program: Played for and lost 2 National Championships.Enjoy Xavier Henry. He will truly be a great player. We will enjoy Robinson and Johnson (Both five star recruits) along with this year's class as we head to yet another Final Four.

Lance Hobson 6 years, 8 months ago

Memphis can have X, I'll take the banner.

JJHawq 6 years, 8 months ago

Good luck X! I cannot stand the attitudes of some/most of the posters on here. Such haters... Why can't you just wish him good luck and move on. Who here who has a brother cannot see the draw of playing major college ball with a sibling? Who says we are "better than one and done"... Give me a break. Keep in mind - their trophy room includes a final four trophy that would have been a national champs tropy if not for divine intervention (luck).Best of luck to the Henry family - and let's hope for a better showing tonight than on Sunday night.

cdibo 6 years, 8 months ago

JJHawq: You have one of the few good comments on this site. Hats off to you for your realistic and mature comments. I knew there had to be some good Kansas fans out there....FAN408785: As for memphis, I could really care less. I`m just pointing out the facts about them and FSU as I see them.....they out recruited Kansas. By the way, if Kansas is all that, why did Roy Williams leave??????? Go VOLS!!!

Dan Harris 6 years, 8 months ago

75-68;75-68;75-68;75-68;75-68;75-68;75-68;75-68;75-68;75-68;75-68;75-68;75-68;75-68;75-68;75-68;75-68;75-68;75-68;75-68;75-68;75-68;75-68;75-68;75-68;75-68;75-68;75-68;75-68;75-68;75-68;75-68;7568;75-68;75-68;75-68;75-68;75-68;75-68;75-68;75-68;75-68;75-68;75-68; Man! No matter how many times I type it the score stays the same!

Kusportsshould Notrequirethis 6 years, 8 months ago

cdiboAt this point only KU has 2 5star recruits when discussing FSU, Memphis, and Kansas recruits. As for Roy Williams, he left for his Alma Matter.

DatBMe 6 years, 8 months ago

Yesterday is a cashed check and Tomorrow is a Promissory note, enough of the championship and the X Henry saga. Question???? Are Reed and Morningstar really that good or rather the recruits for this year are not as talented as projected.This really should be a concern of the Jayhawk nation....

Jaminrawk 6 years, 8 months ago

Yeah, Roy left to take over his alma mater which disgustingly dumped his protege. He then used the spoils of his recruiting and won a championship. Now, he has resumed his status of ALMOST taking his team to the promised land. Who did they lose to in the Final Four last year? Oh yeah, the same team Memphis lost to. Say what you will about the last two minutes of regulation, but they still could have taken it in overtime and were dominated by KU.No CDR, no Rose and no Dorsey means Tyreke Evans is wasting his time. So is X. That team will be decimated once again by the time he gets to town. Meanwhile, KU will still have AT LEAST the Morris twins, Tyshawn Taylor, Travis Relaford, Mario Little, Tyrone Appleton, Quintrell Thomas, Robinson and Johnson. If either Collins or Aldrich comes back, then they add a guy like Cheek or Wall, forget about it. KU will be the deepest team in the nation once again.The dribble drive offense = And 1 Street Ball. You will never win a championship like that. As soon as Memphis plays a good defensive team, like KU last year, they stall out.I must say, I loved watching Penny Hardaway sit there and see those guys do about as much at Memphis as he did ... NOT win a championship. Plus, Pierre Niles draped in the confetti from KU's CHAMPIONSHIP was hilarious.

Jaminrawk 6 years, 8 months ago

Oh, one more thing ...Self is a better coach. He has a championship while coach Cal has zip. All he has is a black mark from the whole Marcus Camby fiasco at UMASS. Be proud Memphis fans.

Dan Pawlowski 6 years, 8 months ago

How does losing a one and done player hurt?If tradition and a fresh NC does convince him then he is not for us.We will be just fine without him.

Dan Pawlowski 6 years, 8 months ago

JJHawk, Devine Intervention my #$$.Free throws matter when you play a good defensive team.The fact that Calipari stated it would not matter shows his lack of basketball acumen or hubris. Kansas was prepared, Kansas wanted it more and Kansas took advantage of Memphis's achilles heel. Period.

MemphisTigerFan 6 years, 8 months ago

To Jaminrawk...Memphis decimated huh? Ok.. let's see here.. "next year".. we have a Sr. in Taggert, a Soph in Weatherspoon, a Sr. in Kemp, a Sr. in Mack, a Jr. in Robinson, a Sr. in Niles, a Soph in Garcia, a Soph in CJ Henry, a Soph in Simpkins, a Jr. in Sallie... not to mention the committed recruits... Give me a break, do your home work and don't be a homer.. Oh, and if you can't really "tag" some of those names, well... I'd bet you didn't know who CDR, Dorsey or, Rodney Carney was out of HS either. And, cease with the BS about the "Camby" fiasco. No evidence of wrong doing... so, get over it... And, YES... Memphis Fans are PROUD! Why shouldn't we be? We have one of the top 6 programs in the country, an amassabor for our university and the fact that basketball has united this city.. YES, I am proud, excited and honored. PS - The "Morris Twins"... Memphis gave up on them for "better talent". You get 1 player and one bench stayer... at least when Memphis goes for a pacakge, we get two servicable guys. Sorry for the tenor here KU fans, it is your board, and I respect that... but, Jaminrawk is WAY OFF BASE, and I'd say like things to any Memphis fan that casts so many inaccuracies about any other team (except the Uni of TN... I'll cast a blind eye there!)

Jaminrawk 6 years, 8 months ago

You will lose Taggart, Dozier, Anderson and Evans. FOUR starters. Yes, Xavier will basically replace Evans. Those other freshman will not replace those other guys.I can "tag" anyone I want to. This is a KU board and you only came on to get a rise out of KU fans.Do you really think this Memphis team is nearly as good as the one KU vanquished last year? If you say "Yes" you are a liar. CDR was your best weapon. Rose was the best memphis point guard ever and Dorsey was the heart of that team. You cannot replace that with those bench guys that are starting for you now.Yes, KU was decimated too ... but we just hung our 2008 championship banner tonight. All Memphis has is a Final Four regional banner. Say all you want, KU has scoreboard on Memphis. If you don't like it, get off a KU thread.

Jaminrawk 6 years, 8 months ago

As far as Calipari being clean ... PLEASE! He denied knowing that Marcus Camby, one of the top recruits in the nation at the time was getting gifts and decided to forgo all of the other more powerful programs to go to UMASS. Ok, right.Hell, just this year a booster at Memphis called Abdul Gaddy's mother. Not just any booster, your precious Fed-Ex booster. Yeah, sure coach Cal had no clue about that either. Ask yourself a question ... why would players like DaJuan Wagner, Derrick Rose, and Tyreke Evans want to play in CUSA? They choose Memphis over KU, Duke, UNC, Florida, UK and UCONN? Teams that have actually won a championship lately ... or at all. Seems fishy to me.

shunngunn 6 years, 8 months ago

Hellllo to all of you Memphis haters out there!! Remember me?! How do those sour grapes taste?!!lol I told you I wouldnt come back to this site until we signed X Henry..Most of you trashed me when I told you all along X was coming to Memphis..You guys wouldnt listen!Hahaha...I'm surprised at the hate X is getting from the same Kansas fans that were talking about how great he was...I told you guys from the beginning how much X is/was seen around Memphis even when the media didnt know he was in town.X.Henry is in Memphis so freakin much,you would've thought he played on the team 2 years ago!! No lie..And he hung around with the guys on the Memphis team & was telling them all along he was leaning to come to Memphis..BUT YOU GUYS DIDNT LISTEN TO ME!lol It seems as though you guys dont think outside of Lawrence or something hahahaaaaa.. And he came close to signing I think back in June but Moma & Papa Henry told him to wait & make sure Memphis was the best fit. And when C.J. Henry walked on(Cal didnt recruit him & he's not on scholarship) you should've known X was Memphis bound..I told you these 5-star recruits nowadays dont care about what kind of TRADITION your school has & how many banners they have in the rafters..BUT YOU GUYS DIDNT LISTEN!And please please please LISTEN to me from now on.. Cheek is'nt coming to Kansas~And Born Ready Stephenson damn sure isnt coming there~Wall? Well let me be the 1st one to say this~The Kid is Memphis bound! If you saw that game last night you can best believe he saw we look terrible at the point guard spot this year~He will fill that slot next year..And say what you wanna say about the DDM offense but its way more complicated than you people give it credit for..You dont beat schools from these so called major conferences playing AAU street ball..If thats the case how do you explain winning against teams like Georgetown,UCONN,USC,Arizona,Gonzaga, & absolutely BLOWING out teams like Michigan State,Texas,& UCLA in the tourney this year?Please kill the CONF-USA is weak chatter~that is pretty old these days..If it mattered please explain how do you go deep in the tourney 3 straight years playing teams in POWER CONFERENCES..

shunngunn 6 years, 8 months ago

Damn,I didnt realize Memphis had so many haters in Lawrence lol wow!Everyone hated on TARK THE SHARK @UNLV for playing in a weak conf...for playing street ball..for only recruiting JUCO-thug type players...and for not winning the big one... until he finally did in 1990.Coach Cal will get him a couple before he leaves here..I really could care less what you MEMPHIS haters think but it's going to happen.And oh yea',for the guy that said Memphis has never beaten Kansas,do your research before you talk trash...Memphis beat Kansas during the '85-'86 season while Danny Manning & Ron Kellogg was there...And Kansas fans will you please stop hating on Memphis...You guys act like WE won the Nat'l C'ship or something..Why hate on a C-USA school anyway?! Oh I know why..because we gotta be doing something right for you guys to constantly bash MEMPHIS~RIGHT?! Riggggggghhhhhhttt!! HAHAHa enjoy your night Jayhawkers & Congrats on Winning the National Championship in 2008...But it seems to me it's not helping you guys land the BIG FISH nowadays! Peace!!!

Jaminrawk 6 years, 8 months ago

Yeah, compare Calipari to Tarkanian. Um, Tark broke all kinds of recruiting violations. Is that REALLY how you want to compare your program. Wait ... you have a point. Crappy conference and an inexplicable knack for getting top talent ... hmmmmm. Enjoy X. We wanted him, you got him. Until you win a championship, it's all talk.

jayhawkintexas 6 years, 8 months ago

Maybe Xavier thought he would look better playing against weak competition in Conference USA rather than playing in the tough Big 12. He may have figured that he would score more points in C-USA than the Big 12 and thereby increase his draft standing. The fact is that pro scouts know the level of competition and playing against weaker competition doesn't impress them. The Big 12 would have prepared him better to play in the NBA.

Jaminrawk 6 years, 8 months ago

Kevin Durant, Michael Beasley, Brandon Rush, Darrell Arthur, DJ Augustine, Bill Walker. None of them shied away from tough competition or decided to pad stats agains a bunch of CUSA cream puffs.We know X can light it up. But we'll never know how great of a college player he could have been playing in that JOKE of a conference.

shunngunn 6 years, 8 months ago

Well Jayhawkintexas: Tell me something pal~Derrick Rose was a #1 pick in the draft who played in Memphis in that little weak conf everyone keeps throwing up...So I guess NBA scouts are amateurs huh?! And they really pay attention to what conf you play in?! haha..Man,get real!Can anyone on this thread please explain to me why do you bring up the "weak Conf-USA" crap? What the hell do it matter what conference you're from? I dont get it..I've said this a million times & I'm going to say it again~If you can ball YOU can ball! 'Nuff said! How does UCLA get there butts kicked in the Final 4 by a team that had'nt been there in over 20 years if playing in the PAC-10 got you so prepared? You know how they lost,Love was slow & Collison was the weak link..CDR,Rose & Anderson ate him alive the whole game..We're the reason he came back for his senior season..He got exposed by those guys from that litle Conf-USA school named Memphis hahaha..And Texas?! Where do I begin~We absolutely ran them off the court in front of all of those Longhorn fans in Texas in the ELITE 8...and what Conference are they from.oh yea THE BIG 12 haha..So if playing in power conferences got them so prepared for a run in the Tourney PLEEEEEEEEASE tell me what the hell happened?

Xfactor2 6 years, 8 months ago

MOHawk1 (anonymous) says...East CarolinaMarshallMemphisSouthern MissUABUCFHoustonTulsaRiceUTEPTulaneSMUWow what a bunch of terrible schools in a terrible conference! This is the main reason why Memphis will always be sub par no matter how many top recruits they get: Sub par conference with sub par teams!Have fun playing in this terrible conference X!.................................................................................................................... stopDearl Mr. MOHawk1, check out this link:http://kenpom.com/rpi.php That is the final RPI ratings for the 2007-2008 season. This was at the end of the regular season. You'll see Memphis' SOS (Strength Of Schedule) rated 27th and Kansas' rated 50th. So if CUSA is a sup-par what does that say about the Big 12? They must be right there with the Big Sky and Southland conferences. I see a lot of bitter grapes and crybabies here, comments like "Screw Henry" and "Good Riddance." Now that's classy. You are very good poor losers. You people don't want one and done players? So you never wanted Henry? You don't want Walls? You don't want the best high school players in the country? OK, I believe you!!!! Let's stop the lies and living in the past folks. That's 4 down and 2 to go for the number one recruiting class of 2009. Next in line for the Tigers, John Wall and Derrick Favors. ~~~~ So move it on over, rock it on over, move over little dog, the mean old dog is movin' in. Bye! :)

shunngunn 6 years, 8 months ago

What's your point?! No, you're trying to diss us because of the conference we play in..That's the discussion~If Memphis had've won that game you guys would still be talking about how many banners you have to ours so Im not about to go back n forth with you on that...You guys are big bad Kansas with the tradition..Memphis & Florida State is nowhere near your level..BUT why are these 5-Star recruits choosing these other schools over Kansas? You know why,because you're caught up in your own hype SIR!lol These guys nowadays DONT CARE about how many banners you guys hang!! Jesus Christ!! Please get that through your freakin head! Wall,Henry,Cheek,Snaer,etc wouldve signed with Kansas a long time ago if it were based on you guys winning all of those championships~That's the honest brutal Truth SIR! You people are not going to land Wall,Cheek or Stephenson...And listen to me when I say this JOHN WALL is coming to Memphis in the spring..wanna know why? The DDM Offense is tailored made for a guard like Wall...cant nobody in the country hold him one on one! The DDM offense is spacing & its made to break your man down one on one~The only way you're going to stop it is if you play zone or some type of gimmick defense.Think about this: and think REAL hard after I say this~CDR & Rose were really the only prolific scorers on that offense last year..the rest of the guys played their roles..they got all the way to the Championship game without a scoring big man!! Dorsey defended & got us rebounds..By the time the '09-2010 year roll around I'm begging Calipari to play you guys in Lawrence!!! Well next year they have a guy by the name of Will Coleman coming here that's built just like Dorsey..he defends,rebounds,athletic as hell but 1 thing that stands out is he's a SCORING big man..Go on youtube & look him up & see if Memphis cared about you guys getting T.Robinson...we got 6'6 inch Nolan Dennis:one of the top 2 players in the state of Texas! Watch him on youtube also..6'8 Darnell Dodson-a big man who can shoot NBA range 3's & now we get X.Henry haha...And you may not like this but Wall is coming here too..Memphis is going to be loaded son!

jocohawk 6 years, 8 months ago

Who cares! These one and done never bring National Championships on a regular basis.I know there are exceptions but most times it takes strong team effort not one guy looking for all the glory. Kansas basketball will be fine without Henry.

fozdog 6 years, 8 months ago

all i can say is thank god the drama is over what was so hard about that decision shouldnt have taken that long and good luck at memphis hope it works out for ya cause you wont get there what you could have had at kansas.

MOHawk1 6 years, 8 months ago

XFactor2We have only really battled you for 4 big recruits in the last ten years. That would be 1. Marcus Morris( on our team)2. Markieff Morris( also on our team)3. Thomas Robinson ( signed on to wear the crimson and blue in '09)and of course we know what happened to Xavier Henry. Enjoy that. It will not happen often. So the way I look at it we are up on you 3-1. And there is that little thing about you guys never having beat us, and the fact that we outplayed you for 37 minutes of the National Championship game and WON. I'll say it again, your top recruits mean nothing to me if they don't produce championships. Now please remove your filth from our message board you trashy Memphis idiots.

shunngunn 6 years, 8 months ago

Mohawk: You're the idiot..Memphis beat Kansas in the '85-'86 year while Manning & Kellogg were there FOOLl!!And for the record something I saw on this very site~You guys had the nerve to have a damn Memphis vs Umass thread?!!!! What the hell?!! Like I said YOU guys act like Memphis won the Championship! Why would you put that thread about another game on here?!! You people got some type of personal vendetta against Memphis or something I dont understand~But success always breed HATERS! If we're so below Kansas why get on your lil boards & trash another program?!lol You guys are a friggin JOKE!! Get a life!

yates33333 6 years, 8 months ago

You wonder what it cost Memphis State. Also, I doubt he and his brother would have taken over KU.

yates33333 6 years, 8 months ago

John Calipari is a great coach. Let's be honest. If he can, he will help Henry a great deal. That said, KU has the best coach in its history. Sorry, Roy and Phog.

keith horinek 6 years, 8 months ago

KU won the NC without any "one and dones". this game is not about recruiting and Memphis, UNC and K-State proved that last year. the three best players in college BB could not win the NC for their teams. It takes an excellent coaching staff and talented players working together to win it. perhaps that was memphis' problem, rose didn't fit that team mold, he only had his "agenda" on his mind. FYI, coach Self currently has the highest winning percentage of all active D1 coaches.

Displayhawk 6 years, 8 months ago

People, there is another element that I am sure factored into X's decision and that is living quarters! Pretty hard to compete with Memphis and their sports enclave when all we have to offer is Jayhawker Towers! Was KU saving Carl Henry's old apartment for X??? Seriously, we need a modern sports dorm to truly compete! Even HCBS realized this when he signed his latest contract.I lived in Jayhawk Towers when I went to KU, and it was a dump back then! I say we bulldoze it and build a sports dorm worthy of championship teams!

samwnc 6 years, 8 months ago

If you're an African-American kid from an urban environment Memphis is a logical choice: predominantly African-American population, urban environment, NBA team that plays in the same building, recent NCAA success and a great coach. These kids relate to Memphis, not corn fields and Phog.

Jaminrawk 6 years, 8 months ago

Xavier Henry is from Oklahoma. Not really the toughest streets. His parents are rich. Don't give me that crap about kids wanting to play where they "relate".Sherron Collins is from South Chicago. The Morris twins are from Philadelphia! Russell Robinson was from New York. Tyshawn Taylor is from Jersey (and best friends with Dominic Cheek I might add) as is Quintrell Thomas. Paul Pierce was from Inglewood. I can keep going ...These kids choose Memphis because they like the "Me offense" Calipari runs. Great. It will make for great YouTube clips. They will leave w/o a championship though.One more thing. Judging from ShunnGunn's writing, the academics are certainly not the reason anyone goes there either.

kubasketball0809 6 years, 8 months ago

I agree these kids we had in the past are from hard neighborhoods and grew up through hardships and sorts. Xavier can go to Memphis because all they do is run a (me) offense not a team offense. He wouldn't have fit into KU's offense Coach Self would of have him sitting on the bench before he could call for the ball. He would have be a 1 AND DONE DEAL and we wouldn't have gotten anything out of him but a few highlights. We do have the talent to make another title run in a few years to come. It would be nice to get Cheek or Stephensen.

Xfactor2 6 years, 8 months ago

Wrong again MOHawk. This is getting to be a habit, proving you wrong, And this is after only two posts by me. In reality Memphis dropped the Morris twins. They committed to Memphis but when Coach Cal signed two more talented forwards in Matt Simpkins and Angel Garcia the Morris twins went to their 2nd choice, Kansas. That's exactly what Cal wanted. The Morris twins were nothing but insurance in case Cal didn't get Garcia and Simpkins. Now I dare you to say the Morris twins were higher rated prospects than Garcia and Simpkins. I will prove you wrong.....again. Have a wonderful day, :)

CBaller13 6 years, 8 months ago

The Morris twins were higher rater than Garcia and Simpkins. RivalsMemphis: Garcia - 46; Simpkins - 80Kansas: Marcus - 29; Markieff - 49

Seth Peattie 6 years, 8 months ago

Dude is extremely ugly. Jacked-up grill.

grumpyoldman 6 years, 8 months ago

one and done players are all selfish players and only care about their stats. ku has never been a one star team. they always play basketball the way it is supposed to be played. with 5 players. this is why snaer and henry did not sign with KU. i have always wanted snaer and cheek, not henry. i want players who will stay 3 or 4 years. i think if a player gets a 4 year scholarship, which he signs, he should have to stay 4 years. let the nba have ALL of these kids that are too good to play college ball. leaving early is not fair to college bb fans and its our support that pays the way for college sports.

BALLER381 6 years, 8 months ago

If Davidson had hit the 3 and Memphis would have made only 1 free throw in 2:19 seconds which means they gave the championship to us this conversation would be different...but lets ask ourselves why some of the top kids go elsewhere like Memphis ect..and KU gets the kids who arent skilled enough after the first year or two to go to the next level.....Memphis can go to henry or tyreke evans and say "rose wasn't a first team all american, he didnt lead his team in scoring, rebounding ect...but he was the first pick why??? because he taught him how to be a good NBA player like it or not he can sell that...and make them believe he can get them on that same path...plus he has the fed-ex forum (not some arena or college gym) to make their eyes pop out...the NBA is there so they will get looked at by GM's...cal had a close relationship with jerry west when he was the GM of the Grizzlies im sure...Cal has relationships and can pull strings and Bill doesn't period...its all about the hype + excitement and Memphis sells that...kids want to play for winners and no team has won more games in the past 3 years than Memphis...and with Rod Strickland ex all-star guard as a asssistant coach...and Penny Hardaway behind the scenes those kids listen...who do we have to show our star power DANNY MANNING, WILT CHAMBERLIN,...these kids dont give a hoot about tradition...they can go to Beale Street or go check out Elvis crib its exciting and what do we have???? exactly point made...so we will always get the kids that will be here for 3 or 4 years and not the superstar kids from highschool...cause they aren't going to hang around for nothing that long...

Jaminrawk 6 years, 8 months ago

Look, Coach Cal hired DaJuan Wagner's dad. Landed him. Hired Tyreke Evan's strength coach. Landed him. Let CJ Henry walk on. Landed Xavier. These kids aren't going to Memphis for the city, the NBA hype or alumni. They go because Cal knows how to play the recruiting game. KU did it with Chalmer's dad. Brown did it with Manning's dad. That is why. Period. Huggins did it in Manhattan and now you notice all of the KSU recruits seem to be coming from the DC Assault because of Delonte Hill.One thing I will give Self though, he doesn't hire AAU creeps.

Jaminrawk 6 years, 8 months ago

One more thing. William Wesley is another shady reason Memphis has been getting high profile recruits. He is a broker for the NBA and has some pretty shady relationships with highschool players. Basically he tells them to all go to memphis because he's friends with Coach Cal. He is a very elusive and shady guy. The guy has dealings with pro players and yet he's in the ears of these highschool kids. That in itself should be a red flag.

MemphoTiger 6 years, 8 months ago

Baller381, you my friend have some brains. Most others on this board, well, they just sound like sore losers.I normally wouldn't even post on here even though I've read here several times but this thread really has become pretty pathetic. Keep your heads up KU fans, you did win the Championship, even though it may be the last for awhile since you are having more and more problems recruiting the star players.Putting down these players for choosing others schools is really sad. Y'all might want to keep watching replays for last year because I don't think you're going to enjoy this year that much. The Tigers are still going to be in the race but I think KU is going to be a no factor and Tiger fans will leave you board alone so that you can talk about the greatness of the past.

Xfactor2 6 years, 8 months ago

CBaller, That's Rival's rankings only. There are plenty other ranking publications out there that say differently. G'day.

100 6 years, 8 months ago

cdibo, Are you crazy? OK so I'll admit I was really upset the other day and typed a bunch of stuff that is BS. You guys have X -- with or without a signature, he's yours. And for us, that really sucks. You want the truth, that's it.Now, in terms of your memory of the championship game, I'm not sure if I've seen more delusional reporting than how ESPN covered that game. Was KU's comeback unlikely? Yes. Do we feel lucky? Yes. Did it HAVE to happen? No. Did it happen? Yes. By your analysis, when we were winning by close to double digits in the first half, it must have been because The losing team was "giving" the lead to the other team. This logic makes no sense. Basketball has so many possibilities it is amazing. For instance Self went away from KU's bread and butter while Memphis was building that 9 pt lead. Was that "giving"? No. It just happened that way, and he learns from those mistakes for future games. But you guys EARNED that 9 point lead. But there was 2 minutes left. Self changes strategies and it paid off, none bigger than the pressure D, resulting in the Collins steal and 3. Calipari tried to adjust, so you can't blame him -- no one gave anyone anything.As for the free throws, keep in mind, 2 of those missed free throws resulted in a Memphis rebound, giving you a chance to tick away more time. So really, take those away and you missed one important free throw. But you didn't give us anything.Calipari tried to get Rose to foul, but he didn't. That wasn't a gift. Rose looked like he was running pretty fast, trying to keep up with Collins. He even looked like he nudged him during that handoff. Would you have called that a foul? Was that a gift from the refs?As for Mario's shot, was it unlikely, yes. You had two defenders up pretty high trying to block it. But Mario shot it pretty high. Was that a gift? It was from 21 feet, much like your last second shot clock fastball that banked off the glass from 21 with 3 min to go. Was that a gift or did your player do that all year?And after Mario hit that shot, what's up with passing it to half court for a last second shot? Had Calipari no plays up his sleave? 2.1 seconds left. Was that a gift?After answering all these questions, you might ponder over why Xavier chose Memphis. It was surely a good decision for him. He's a great kid.And by losing him to you guys, it somehow feels like you guys hit the last second 3 that we shouldn't have been in the situation to begin with. CJ quits the yankees and chooses to change his school, which alters where the number 1 player in the country goes, and probably takes a 6th banner away from the fieldhouse. It feels like we just had our heart ripped out by the team we just did the same to.Go Tigers.

Jaminrawk 6 years, 8 months ago

Once again. MIssed freethrows and Mario's miracle three aside, Memphis could have won it in overtime. KU just outplayed them in OT.

Dan Pawlowski 6 years, 8 months ago

I am sitting at home with the Flu reading all of these posts and although I don't agree with the lamenting of losing X I can really appreciate all of you putting a smack down on the lonely Memphis fans here. Thanks for keeping me entertained!

Dan Pawlowski 6 years, 8 months ago

Oh Xfactor your ability to quote Hank Williams obviously makes yourargument stronger....

100 6 years, 8 months ago

"KU outplayed them in OT". I don't think anyone would disagree with that. I still don't see how an intelligent Memphis fan thinks his team "gave" KU the victory. Has this guy never played sports before? And if this is the case, it makes you wonder who X is going to be playing with. If you were a Memphis player, certainly it would suck to play for a bunch of fans like that (I hope they don't all feel this way). He's essentially ripping away all of their hard work from the year by implying 2nd place, and a trip to the final four wasn't good enough. Rose missed one key free throw, something a ninety percent free throw shooter does one time out of ten. He forgot to foul Collins. He messed up the inbounds play that Collins stole. Are you saying Rose gave it to us? Or Calipari? Whatever you're claiming, it can't be the rest of your team -- they played their hearts out and got a very respectable 2nd place. Regardless of your blame, I believe you are now seeing more clearly why the KU fanbase is feeling cheated on not getting X. He knows where he wanted to go. The same place his brother was originally going. The same place his parents went. The same place he watched games as a kid. Dont be tricked by X. He's a Jayhawk. He'll win a bunch of games for you, and wear that M on his jersey, but he will always be a Jayhawk in his heart. Why do you think it took him forever to declare? You'll see as time goes by, Carl is ONLY happy about this because it keeps his kids together. He watched the last 2:11 just like you did, Memphis. He's not stupid. But at least he'll get to see his kids play together.

cdibo 6 years, 8 months ago

100,Are you still crying and whining like a little girl. And I thought Memphis fans cried a lot. You and some of your fellow fans really take the cake. get a real life and you wont have that much time to cry. Just in case you werent aware of it, there are real problems going on in the world. Alright, Im off this site for a while. Ill be back on Jan. 4, the day after we smoke yall like a Cuban cigar on your own home court. Dont feel so bad, were gonna do the same thing to memphis and then yall can cry together, much like your doing now.lol!!! GO VOLS!!!!

obnascar 6 years, 8 months ago

Give me a break, no one here likes college basketball without getting stressed out ? I am a Memphis fan, playing Kansas, Tennessee, Gonzaga, Texas, UCLA, it doesn't matter. Win or lose college basketball is the greatest. I love all the teams above because it is such good competition, they are all good teams, they are all good schools. It is even fun when some smaller colleges manage to beat up the big boys once and a while. Chill-Out and enjoy college basketball. May the best team win, but sometimes that doesn't happen in real life. Kansas, Tennessee and Memphis is as good as it gets , lets all be friends and enjoy.........

obnascar 6 years, 8 months ago

Its a shame that Kansas and Memphis could not schedule a non-conference game this year........would that draw excitement or what ? Even ESPN's Mr excitement, Dick Vitale would be there !