Sunday, February 24, 2008

Extra Minutes: Oklahoma State 61, Kansas 60

Jayhawks fall to OSU after emotional week

Saturday afternoon, the Kansas men's basketball team tried to remain focused for Oklahoma State - after tragedy struck the Kansas family earlier in the week.

Some thoughts...from Stillwater

Gary Bedore, Journal-World KU men's basketball beat writer

"Hard to analyze this game. Only a mean-spirited person would blame the team when two players had close family members die this week. Fans need to suck it up and write this one off because one can only imagine what the Jayhawks have gone through since Wednesday when Darnell found out his cousin had died and Rodrick found out his brother had died. KU played horribly. Too many turnovers and wasted possessions and dumb fouling of Eaton. KU obviously is a different team on the road, like many others in the league and country. KU has a good - not a great - team right now. Whether it'll be great in March remains to be seen. At this time I prefer to offer prayers for Jackson, Stewart and their loved ones. Family is more important than basketball...but you already knew that."

Tom Keegan, Journal-World sports editor

"Junior point guard Byron Eaton again showed that Oklahoma State is his team. Whose team is Kansas? Can't answer it quickly. He who hesitates is lost."

Ryan Greene, KUSports.com editor

"Gary said it all perfectly. It was tough talking to Rodrick and Darnell after the game. Jackson's eyes began to well a little bit while he was surrounded by media, but he held it in. Rodrick seemed to use speaking with the media as therapy a bit, wanting to let some emotions out. My prayers, too, go out to both players and their families, and hopefully they can overcome these tragedies. How about some love for Oklahoma State? Talk about a team playing for its coach. Both Byron Eaton and Obi Muonelo talked about not wanting to see Sean Sutton go at season's end, and this team's riding some serious momentum right now. At 5-7 with three very winnable games coming up on the slate before closing out the regular season at Texas, an NCAA Tournament bid is still out there for the taking in the Big 12. Baylor (over K-State, now 6-6 in league) and Nebraska (over Texas A&M;, now 5-7 in league) are also in the running, I'd have to think."

Inside the numbers

28: Saturday was an example of how different of a team KU is without key pieces performing at their peaks. Sophomores Sherron Collins and Darrell Arthur combined to play 28 minutes, and that takes out KU's top spark plug (Collins) and post scorer (Arthur) for much of the day. Collins' knee is bothering him, adding to a list of physical woes the Chicago native has endured in an up-and-down 2007-08 campaign. Arthur had more control over his minutes, being limited to 17 before fouling out. He had just six points and never got into any kind of a rhythm due to the whistles. This was a game where KU could have used him, too, since OSU didn't have much as far as a post presence.

26: My, how far Byron Eaton has come. Having combined for 42 points, 13 assists and just two turnovers in back-to-back impressive wins over Baylor and Texas A&M; leading up to Saturday, the junior former McDonald's All-American showed how for real he was against a top-five team. The bowling ball of a point guard scored a game-high 26 points, including a 16-of-18 showing from the free throw line. He further established, too, as Tom mentioned above, that this is his team. And the rest of the guys aren't bad, either.

21: To call this game pretty would be a politician-like lie. The Jayhawks turned the ball over 21 times (Okie State had 19), with six of those giveaways coming in the game's first four minutes. To combat the turnovers, KU only had seven assists on 21 made field goals.

12: Brandon Rush was invisible from the scoring column in the first half, having trouble getting shots to fall. He scored all 12 of his points in the second half, and after hitting his first bucket (a jumper from the top of the key), he let out a yell and a fist pump. He had some pent-up frustration. He showed great spirit in the game's final 20 minutes, and even had a shot to win the game with a last-second corner three. It was short, but Rush certainly was a bright spot for KU after halftime.

16: Some mention is deserving towards Darnell Jackson and Rodrick Stewart, playing in the wake of tragedy striking each of their families. Jackson led KU with 16 points and 10 rebounds, while Stewart had just one rebound to his credit in 11 minutes of run. Jackson, though, had similar struggles compared to the rest of KU's big men after halftime. He had just four points and two rebounds in the second half, while Sasha Kaun and the aforementioned Arthur also struggled to get high-percentage looks. KU didn't have a single dunk Saturday afternoon.

Just in case you missed it...

KU again struggled to do what it does best to build momentum - convert lob plays and hit three-point shots. The Jayhawks were just 2-of-11 from three-point range, and couldn't space it out well enough on offense to attack the rim via the lob. It was a game without too many highlights, though Oklahoma State converted a lob which was pretty nasty, with Obi Muonelo feeding James Anderson on a two-on-one break. Anderson, you may remember, selected OSU over KU and Arkansas as a high school senior.

Hopefully you didn't miss it...

Foul trouble was an issue for the Jayhawks and certainly changed the way this one played out. Darrell Arthur is the obvious case here, with his second foul - coming in the first half - being of the technical variety while trying to separate a mini-tussle between Sasha Kaun and Terrel Harris. His fifth foul drew words from Bill Self after the game, as it came after Byron Eaton was already trapped against the sideline without an out. Instead, Eaton got a trip to the free throw line. Oklahoma State made the best of KU's foul woes, hitting 23 of 27 foul attempts. KU had 24 fouls, while OSU had 23. In the stretch, though, KU's were much more visible and meaningful towards the game's end result.

They said it...

Sherron Collins on his latest injury - a knee bruise - which kept him to just 11 minutes of play Saturday: "It's frustrating. It's real frustrating, I can't do all I want to do out there. I can't get comfortable. It's frustrating, that's all. It's real frustrating."

Darnell Jackson on the sloppiness of the game: "I felt like it was out of rhythm the whole game. We weren't all on the same page, I don't know what it is, but we need to find it out and work through that so we all can stay on the same page, because we played terrible today."

Darnell Jackson on Bill Self saying KU had the look of a distracted team: "I wouldn't agree with that. The only thing I would say is we didn't come in here with the mindset to win a game. That's all it was."

Darnell Jackson on playing in the wake of family tragedy: "It didn't make it hard to play at all. It just made me focus even harder to come out here and try to play hard for my teammates. Sometimes it doesn't work out that way."

Rodrick Stewart on dealing with the murder of his brother: "Darnell's going through the same thing. It's easy for me to talk to Darnell, because he can relate to the same thing I'm going through, because it's his cousin...Just trying to stay focused, my head was not in it today, I'm gonna be real. I was trying my best I could when I was out there, but anytime one of your family members loses their life, it's hard to try to put that aside and focus on a game...(My teammates have) been helpful, man, making sure to keep me laughing, stuff like that. All the guys have been checking on me...I knew it was going to be hard to put behind me, because that's my brother, man...These are my teammates, too. I look at them like family, too. If anything happened to them, it'd be hard to try to put that aside and go out there and play a game. I tried to do that as much as I could, but my emotions started getting the best of me when I was out there...There's only so much you could do, really. I've got to go watch my brother get buried Wednesday."

Brandon Rush on the game's final play: "It was a play that broke down. We thought (Chalmers) was gonna manage to get to the hole, but they double-teamed him on the way to the goal, he saw me open, I head-faked it, threw up a shot, I thought it was good, it looked good from the side."

Bill Self on Oklahoma State's play: "I thought they played good. I thought they played good defense, played better offense than us, but we stunk. We stunk, in large part because of OSU, in large part because of the crowd, too. We didn't play with much poise, but I really feel that OSU, they played very well and Eaton, obviously, had a fabulous game."

Bill Self on his team's mindset Saturday: "We played like a team that was...I don't know if we were distracted, but we certainly gave the appearance of being distracted and not as focused, because we made a lot of mental mistakes, and that usually comes from focus, and it was really poor today."

Bill Self on his team dealing with family tragedies of Jackson's and Stewart's: "We've got a lot going on. It's not the players' fault that they're distracted. We had two murders this week with immediate family, and I've never coached that before. I don't know the coaching manual on some of that stuff, but still, today, we were all here. If you're here, you've got to perform, and we just didn't do that."

Bill Self on Sherron Collins' knee: "He practiced 15 minutes yesterday, and that was the first time he'd done anything since Colorado, so obviously he's a shadow of what he could be, but hopefully he'll get back where he can help us real soon. I certainly would have played him more if he was capable."

Bill Self on Darrell Arthur's foul trouble: "He's a good player, and there's not many good players out there who can produce if they're only playing 15, 17 minutes a game, so yeah, it's frustrating. I didn't see the technical. I know somebody pushed somebody and he supposedly pushed back as a retaliation, and if you don't make that play, you're not in foul trouble. One of these days, we're gonna get a consistent 27-30 minutes from him, but we put ourselves in harm's way. His fifth foul, we had Eaton on the sideline with nowhere to go, but we put our hands on him."

Byron Eaton on the OSU coaching rumors: "I've been hearing things like coach Sutton is out at the end of the season, and I don't want that to happen. I'm gonna try to do whatever I can do for my coach to stay here and for me to have a great senior year. If they still do that, that happens, it happens. But I'm gonna fight for my coach. If he comes, he comes. If not, we're still gonna play for coach Sutton the way we've been playing this year."

Obi Muonelo on the OSU coaching rumors: "I don't think he's gonna be out at the end of the year. That goes in one ear and out the other ear. Because I know how good of a coach he is, and our games lost has nothing to do with his coaching. He's a great coach, a very smart coach, it's us. Y'all see now how good of a coach he is when we decide to play the way we can play...he can recruit, and he's just a good coach all around. When I hear those rumors, I don't really listen to them."

Comments

melrank 11 years, 12 months ago

You know, you've got to love and respect Darnell. The guy goes thru a horrible, terrible week and never makes excuses. Instead he talks about himself needing to play better. Wow.

He seems to have the heart of a warrior. I wish it would rub off on the rest of the team.

He didn't play much when he was younger. Can we petition the NCAA for another year :).

FlaHawk 11 years, 12 months ago

The bottom line, is Coach Self has to change his tactics. The team misses Coach Tim and his talent.

There is nothing wrong with losing but three losses of the same variety seem to dictate a long term and troubling trend at this late date in the season.

Change rotation, change offense, heck even change defense schemas might be necessary to change the chemistry on this team.

Who would ever think at the beginning of the year that Jackson is the team MVP! He is the only returning player that has actually improved this year.

Robert Brock 11 years, 12 months ago

Only six or seven games left in this season. Sad.

KUglow 11 years, 12 months ago

Really soobawls, we are getting ready for another first round NCAA loss? Is that what you said at the end of last year when we went into the tourney flying high coming off a Big 12 regular and post-season title? I'm just as discouraged as the next fan on here but you know what? Yesterday has no impact on March. Sorry, but it doesn't. We can get ourselves all worked up but how we end the season is no indication how we will play in March. That goes for just about every other team as well. I seem to recall plenty of times in the past when we would lose on Saturday in the Big 8/12 Tourney and make a run to the Final 4. And I recall plenty of times when we won the Big 8/12 tourney and flopped. 3 weeks in March. This season is a success based on 3 weeks in March. Period. Is that right or wrong? I guess that just depends on your definition of success. But I'm pretty sure everyone on here would trade a Big 12 title for a trip to the Final 4.

melrank 11 years, 12 months ago

I'd also throw in a loss in the first round of the Big XII tourney for a Final 4 trip.

Joe Ross 11 years, 12 months ago

I think Gary Bedore is right. It WOULD take a mean-spirited person to blame KU for this loss considering the emotional durress Darnell and Rod were playing under.

And so, Id like to blame KU for not being the same team in ALL the games since the KSU loss. Its just not the same team. I saw the Tennessee/Memphis game last night and let me tell you what: those clubs are playing inspired basketball. It looks like they want it. It looks like they're hungry. It looks like they're hyped. It looks like they came to play.

Kansas used to look like that.

I don't know what we need to do. Get all the guys in a room and play one of those meditation tapes ("...now focus on your arm. Let it feel very heavy. So heavy you can't possibly move it and it not able to be moved from its spot on the floor..."). I dont know if we need to get Tony Robbins or some motivational speaker in here to jazz these boys up (omitting Darnell and Rod, although it may be therapy for them as well). Maybe we need to have a weekend "boot camp" again. Hell I dont know if we should sit em in a candlelit room and sing kumbaya. Whatever! Something has got to change to get these boys playing inspired basketball.

Its late in the season!

JNgohawks 11 years, 12 months ago

I thought we looked really good for about the last 8 minutes of the game. There was a point where we turned it up and played great. I don't remember the play, but I saw the intensity turn up. Like jross said, the other top teams in the country are playing that way night in and out, we need the intensity on at all times.

melrank 11 years, 12 months ago

jross:

"those clubs are playing inspired basketball. It looks like they want it. It looks like they're hungry. It looks like they're hyped. It looks like they came to play."

Amen, brother.

Alan Mills 11 years, 12 months ago

I enjoyed the Bedore article. And, I was very hard on this team last night. Still has to be the worst loss I've seen by a KU team. Can't imagine walking a moment in Stewart's or Jackson's shoes. However, don't great teams rise in the face of adversity? Jackson did, at times. But, his teammates did not. I wouldn't believe it if someone said, in the locker room, "let's win this one for DJ and Rod"! But, that's what would happen on a team with tough, competitive players. I can't imagine those words ever coming from Arthur, Chalmers or Rush. They're all far too soft to even think something like that. If Duke, Tennessee, Memphis, or UCLA faced the same adversity KU did this week, they would have pounded their Saturday opponent by 30+, then wept post-game as they talked about "playing for their teammates". Not us. Soft players play for themselves only. That's what we look like far too often. I don't want any of these guys to go, including the coach. I just wish we were tough! We can be, but it will take a greater effort by our coaching staff to make them tough. I will hold out hope that, perhaps with another bad loss or two, we'll finally have had enough and decide to fight! That's right, I think the best thing for us might be to lose another game or two before the Big 12 tourney. It will be hard to take, but that is probably the only way to get our boys to really care. However, if we win out at home and beat the teams we should down the stretch, our post-season will be shorter than anyone would have expected back in December.

jhawks 11 years, 12 months ago

I don't agree with the last comment. Our 3 losses so far should be enough material to show you have to bring it every night when you're on top. if our players want to call each other brothers... ACT LIKE IT!!!!!
let's play the rest of them like we mean it. Rally together, get lost in the game, COME ON LETS WIN THE WHOLE DAMN THING!!!!!! Where's the Tylenol?

melrank 11 years, 12 months ago

OK - it's time for some positive thinking/analysis. So here goes . . .

As of today, Memphis and Tennessee are clear-cut top seeds for the tourney. For arguments sake lets say NC and UCLA are the third and fourth #1 seeds.

This would put Memphis and Tennessee in the South and Midwest, NC in the east, and UCLA in the West.

Realistically, we could be judged a 7 or 8 overall, which would put us as a #2 in the Midwest or South opposite Memphis or Tennessee. Both good draws for my money. Are there two more teams that should be ahead of us? You can certainly argue Texas. Duke? (I hate even writing that - sorry.) Georgetown? Indiana? All maybes depending on how things play out.

What would be terrible is to be an overall 5 and end up the #2 seed opposite UCLA out West. That would suck.

Opposite NC out East would be OK, but not as good as staying in the Midwest or South.

Is there a silver lining some where?

MOJHawk 11 years, 12 months ago

Maybe one ray of hope is that the three losses have been on home courts with teams that played the games of their lives. If the NCAA doesn't put their heads up their butts during the seeding process [ no guarantees that they won't] match ups on neutral floors should favor the Jayhawks based on the outstanding passion, loyalty and widespread travel potential of the Jayhawk fans.

Gosh, that sounds like kind of a desperate rationalization, doesn't it. Man, between injuries and family tragedies, this team hasn't gotten a break. Do you all think that there may be some positive karmac payback down the road? Darn, that sounds desperate too.

RedJay 11 years, 12 months ago

I'd give us a 4 seed right now, maybe a 3. Hell, it'd be higher than our Big 12 Tourney seed.

At this point, we have not beaten a top 25 team. We have not beat a top-50 on the road. We are coasting along on sheer talent alone, and even our coach can't seem to get pissed about it.

I'd like to hope that we'll play our best ball in March. But I've never seen a team find their discipline and motivation that late in a season. Maybe we'll be the first?

Grizzly 11 years, 12 months ago

I wish Self would swallow his pride or get off his power trip and mix up his defense just a little. NO zone ever? Man to man is getting killed. why not change? Don't let pride ruin this season.

ppierce 11 years, 12 months ago

Zone would do two things. 1) Help our guards, who obviously can't guard one on one. They need to get back to going for steals and forget trying to stay in front of their man .They simply can't. 2) Protect Arthur from foul trouble.

JayCeph 11 years, 12 months ago

I'm tired of the fact that we keep minimizing these losses and it seems as though we would rather bury our collective heads in the sand rather than demand a higher level of execution from a squad that is clearly capable of demolishing its opponents.

If there continues to be a dearth of fire, rage, killer instinct (or whatever else you want to call it), I fear that this year will just be another asterisk in the record books of a team that had a lot of potential but failed to live up to its promise.

Quit pretending that there isn't anything wrong. Something is amiss and it needs to be dealt with. If you don't see this and are comfortable with marginal results, perhaps Mizz-who or Colorado would be a more comfortable fit for languishing in mediocrity.

I know this sounds harsh but I am really become quite perturbed by the nonchalance that is haunting the capabilities of this team...

mcoan 11 years, 12 months ago

Down by 1, 12 sec. left: How do you NOT call a TO to plan a play to win it all?

Bill Self was outcoached by Sean Sutton, of all people.

The thing is, everyone knows that we can't handle any team that slows it down and sets the tempo. We will continue to lose in the post-season because Self can't coach a slow-tempo game.

Dan Harris 11 years, 12 months ago

soobawls-your an idiot calling for Self's firing. Self is a great coach and we are lucky to have him. Coach Self, Jayhawk FANS are behind you! rock chalk!

86finalfour 11 years, 12 months ago

i actually agree with soobawls - Self has not been good for this program. But he has had tough shoes to fill.....Ted Owens era here we come......