Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Arizona big man transferring to KU

All Kansas University basketball coach Bill Self wanted for Christmas was ... a highly-touted 7-foot center.

His wish-list was granted Wednesday when 225-pound University of Arizona freshman big man Jeff Withey orally committed to transfer to KU.

Withey chose the Jayhawks over Texas, Gonzaga, Cincinnati, Indiana, San Diego, San Diego State and Boston College.

“Yeah, I guess you could say that,” Withey said Wednesday afternoon, asked if his early a.m., cell phone call was planned as an early Christmas present to Self.

“I think I woke him up. He was definitely excited. He just told me to get here as soon as possible,” added Withey, Rivals.com’s No. 36-rated player in the Class of 2008 out of San Diego’s Horizon High.

Withey asked out of his scholarship agreement at Arizona following the late October resignation of Lute Olson.

“My family and I sat down together, looked at all the schools and Kansas just popped out over everyone else,” said Withey, who attended Late Night in the Phog as a recruit his junior year of high school.

He ultimately orally committed to Louisville, but switched to Arizona after deciding to remain on the West coast.

“I felt it (KU) was the best place for me. All the coaches, coach Self, coach (Danny) Manning, coach (Kurtis) Townsend, they know how to develop young players. That’s one of the main things I was looking at. I’m just really excited about it,” added Withey, who plans on arriving in Lawrence in early January, well in advance of the start of spring semester classes.

He can practice, but not play in games the rest of this season and will be eligible to play in games in late December 2009.

Withey — he averaged 20.8 points, 13 rebounds 7.3 blocks and 4.1 assists his senior year at Horizon — says he’s looking forward to going up against 6-11 sophomore center Cole Aldrich every day in practice.

“He’s definitely one of the best big men in the country,” Withey said. “It’s so interesting how good he got last year. I’m looking forward to going up against one of the best big men in the country every day. I know he’ll make me better and I'll make him better.”

When asked to describe his game, Withey said: “I like to run the floor and play defense. I definitely like (Boston Celtics forward) Kevin Garnett. I like to play with my back to the basket, and be able to get my hook shot in, and I also like facing up and taking the guy off the dribble or shooting the jumper.”

He said his average of seven blocks per game in high school actually originated from his talents in another sport.

“When I was younger, I played volleyball and that definitely helped with my timing and everything,” Withey said. “It’s (blocking shots) something that just comes naturally to me.”

Withey watched with interest as Arizona downed KU, 84-67, on Tuesday night in Tucson.

“It was pretty tough because I’m friends with all the guys on Arizona,” Withey said. “But I was definitely rooting for KU. It was a heartbreaker, but it only made me want to go there (Kansas) even more.”

Self cannot yet comment on the addition of Withey in accordance with NCAA rules.

His high school coach, Waheed Mitchell, said: “Jeff has great timing, touch around the basket. He can run the floor. He is very patient, understands the game. He is very accurate from eight to 10 feet. He also can shoot the three-ball.

“Jeff is very humble, very coachable. He’s always been the best player on his team but you would never know it. Everyone who knows Jeff is head over heels about him.”

Mitchell was asked if Withey reminds him of any other player.

“Probably defensively and everything he is a skilled Alonzo Mourning,” Mitchell said. “because he blocks shots and gets up and down the floor.”

Arizona hated to see Withey go. The school’s athletic director for several weeks refused to grant him a release from his scholarship agreement, finally agreeing to let him move on.

“(I’ll) let bygones be bygones,” Withey said, indicating he has no ill-will toward Arizona. “Everything happens for a reason. I’m really excited about coming to Kansas.

“I’m excited about the snow. I’m actually looking forward to that and becoming a Jayhawk.”

Notes: Withey said, of course, he does have NBA dreams. So how many years will he be a Jayhawk? “I just go season by season. I’d love to play in the NBA. There’s not any pressure to go right away,” he said. ... Withey said his mom, a teacher, and dad, who works in construction, would be moving to Lawrence, but not until next school year. They currently live in Tucson. ... KU currently has 14 scholarships awarded for next season, meaning at least one player will move on. Teams are granted 13 scholarships. KU has signed Elijah Johnson, a point guard out of Las Vegas Cheyenne High and Thomas Robinson, a power forward out of Brewster Academy in Wolfeboro, N.H. The Jayhawks are recruiting John Wall, a point guard out of Word of God Christian Academy in Raleigh, N.C., and Lance Stephenson, a 6-5 forward out of Lincoln High in Brooklyn, N.Y.

The Journal-World’s Eric Sorrentino contributed to this report and wrote the initial Withey transfer story on KUsports.com.

Comments

Ben Kane 11 years, 2 months ago

NJGBFG my friend...Not Just Great But F*ing Great!

kubasketball0809 11 years, 2 months ago

Heck Yes we could use a big man down low to help out Aldrich..... This is great news..... I am axious to see how good he is...

Nick Cole 11 years, 2 months ago

Agreed chuckberry.Too bad he won't be available to play until next year. I say we redshirt Little this year. We do that and get one more recruit for the coming season and we are going to be a stacked force to be reckoned with in 2009-10. RCJGKU!!

kubasketball0809 11 years, 2 months ago

He will be able to play after christmas break.... After a few practices at that note

kubasketball0809 11 years, 2 months ago

Never mind i read it wrong guys whoops my bad but i agree we will be loaded.... for 200-2010 season

cjmcjm 11 years, 2 months ago

stinks we don't get him this year, but a great pick up.

Ben Kane 11 years, 2 months ago

Yep, I said last night that I believe red-shirting little is probably the best thing for the team at this point.I still think we are a tourney team this year, but realistically I'd be very pleased if we make it past the first weekend.

Lance Hobson 11 years, 2 months ago

I hope he's good. We have a ton of ok players but no real star right now. Collins is out of control and Aldrich layed an egg last night against his first real competition. I guess Self knows where to put him. Does this mean we're still going after Wall and Stephenson?

Nick Cole 11 years, 2 months ago

It will be good that he can practice with the team immediately. That will help Cole out this season.

actorman 11 years, 2 months ago

I have mixed feelings about redshirting Little. I can certainly understand the idea of wanting him available for the next two years. On the other hand, if he's as good as people are saying he is, he could be a tremendous addition to this year's team and give us a much better chance to be a serious contender. I'm not sure I'm quite ready to write off this year yet based on a few growing pains. And unless you believe Little would be leaving after this year, we would still be loaded for next year; it would only be the year after next that would be affected.As for the addition of Withey, as SF GIants fans used to say in the '80s: "Humm-Baby!"

irish2255 11 years, 2 months ago

The best thing is he gets to start practicing after break. With a year of learning the system and banging with Cole he should be ready next January.

Nick Cole 11 years, 2 months ago

I hope we are still going after Wall and Stephenson, even if we don't have any scholarships "available". I believe Morningstar's dad has offered to pay his tuition in order to free up a scholarship if it will help the team, which the addition of Wall or Stephenson will definitely help this team next year.

rawkhawk 11 years, 2 months ago

This makes me feel a little better about losing the game to Arizona...

Nick Cole 11 years, 2 months ago

Little will play two years (unless he just completely balls out for 30+ ppg). That is why I want him to readshirt. We are not winning a NC this year with or without Little and the transition form a JuCo to Kansas is not an easy one (i.e. learning a new system, level of competition, and "gellin" with new teammates). With Withey and Little (pending a redshirt) getting a ton of practice under their belt this year, they will be itching to play next season.

Drew Bender 11 years, 2 months ago

I hope this is a wake up call to all of our current post players

David Reed 11 years, 2 months ago

wooo the possibility of 2 7 footers = awesome

Dan Harris 11 years, 2 months ago

What a great christmas present! Welcome Mr. Withey!

4jhawks4ku 11 years, 2 months ago

Seven footers don't grow on trees. Plus , if Aldrich stays four years, like he should, to get more moves and improve, we are set for centers for a long time. We just need a good three man right now and Brady, bless his heart, would be a star on a mid major but not in the big leagues. Bring in Little in a couple weeks so we can at least go to the dance this year and challenge next year. Right or Wrong?

jayhawkinATL 11 years, 2 months ago

Yep, must have noticed how much we needed his help based on the crappy play of our "big" men last night!!!

Duke Christoffersen 11 years, 2 months ago

Withey says he's unsure of his major, but he has already shown an aptitude for math:(Self + Manning + Great Tradition) x 4 years = Good Chance at Another Rock Chalk Championship ...and a much better chance at getting the most coveted degree of all...the NBA.

wischalk 11 years, 2 months ago

Very excited about this. Withey only loses one semester of eligibility, but will come in with a full year of prep time working with the team and hitting the weights. He definitely moves great for a guy his size, has good hands, and likes to turn it up on the defensive end. The guy will be gold for Self. Now... can anyone help me out with the scholarship situation? If I am not mistaken, we had just two to give, and they went to Johnson and Robinson. Is that right? So regardless of whether or not we still have a shot at Wall or Stephenson... we already need another scholarship for Withey. I'm not worried about that as I'm sure it will shake out somewhere, but I don't know if we can find another one for Wall/Stephenson (a shame since I actually believe Wall wants to be here). There may well be transfers on the horizon, but I can't think of who it would be (Releford would seem likely, but he's a local KU guy and I don't see him leaving; Thomas is possible, etc.). Yes, it has been widely reported that the Morningstar family would be willing to pay Brady's tuition, but I don't see Self taking such an offer (if it exists) with the role Brady has taken on this year. The hustle and dedication he has shown more than earns him a scholarship (the guy literally shadowed Christmas and the much bigger/more athletic Budinger, keeping them from even getting the ball most possessions). That leaves the "who's going pro" debate. I still think Cole will be a guaranteed first round pick if he wants, though whether he can touch the lottery as has been predicted by some services depends on him making some significant strides this season (they are hopefully coming if he can stay on the floor, but he definitely struggled against Hill yesterday). He has great touch and has been shooting well, but he could be so much better in the post. He rarely reacts quickly enough to make his move before a double comes... and there have been numerous times this season he has made a great post move that got the announcers all wet... only to brick a bunny. Even though he's first round material, I don't necessarily see Cole as a guy who's leaving after this year. He loves being at KU and definitely knows he has a lot of room to improve. I think Sherron is unlikely to be projected in the first round by the end of this season, even with the extremely weak draft class this year. A guy that short and with his history of injuries and weight problems needs to show the goods for more than one healthy year (he is an NBA talent, but not if GMs don't think he can handle an 82 game season, and he needs to control his urge to jack it up**). That doesn't mean he isn't leaving... just that he probably shouldn't, for his benefit. So anyone else have thoughts about how we could find TWO scholarships?

wischalk 11 years, 2 months ago

** In regards to my Sherron comment, there is no one I would rather have shooting on this team and I'm not arguing Self's 18 a game idea or Sherron's trying to get there... but there seem to always be 3-4 shots a game that are ridiculously bad. If the shot clock is down then sure, get him the ball and let him do whatever he wants... but the way-behind-the-arc threes without anyone in position to rebound and the terribly off-balance runners over three guys are just not the greatest ideas.

bvrams 11 years, 2 months ago

from watching the youtube videos on this kid, he actually does something that very few of our jayhawks have done this season... dunk the ball. i realize that these are just highlights, but i am very happy to see a kid that is willing to go hard and finish hard. Welcome to KU!!

LAJayhawk 11 years, 2 months ago

How ironic to find this out immediately following the 'Zona game. Very good news.Personally, I am for Little coming back this season and not red shirting. This team has talent, but is severely lacking a 3 man like Little who can score. Whether or not we are actually a "title contender" to those who want to define such things really doesn't matter to me. I want to see a good and successful season, and Little would be a big part of that.Plus he would be around next year for a legitimate run.And wischalk, nice post.

Joe Ross 11 years, 2 months ago

fihsch...I dont know why your first sentence made me chuckle, but I laughed a good while. truth be told, I think the morris twins just play small. some players dont use their length and really extend their bodies. is it just me or do you agree that they tend to play below the rim? the twins strike me that way.

chicagoeddie 11 years, 2 months ago

merry Christmas coach self! cant get a better present than that.... well besides a 5 star and 4 star recruit.... WE ARE GONNA BE STACKED WITH THE DEEPEST TEAM IN THE NATION!!! =)

Michael Auchard 11 years, 2 months ago

Hey, at least the Arizona debacle wasn't a total loss!!!

hayshawk2123 11 years, 2 months ago

Everyone will love this 7 footer. I can't really think of the last guy we had that was this tall, we've managed 6'11" guys but damn, this kids gonna be a player who stays for four years. I'm excited to see Withey in a Jayhawk Uniform come next season. Welcome to the greatest program in the country, good choice.

CoachG 11 years, 2 months ago

I love our freshmen. They hustle, play hard, and try to do whatever Coach Self asks them to do. As this season progresses, other teams will realize that our freshmen are much more talented than theirs. There is a huge learning curve with these guys. It will take time. These young men have done just as well, if not better than every other freshman who has played for us. Looking forward to the KU - TN game.

emphawker 11 years, 2 months ago

I've been saying for months that I thought we needed another big man. Many responses to that said we had plenty of depth already. Apparently, now those folks have realized that we would've been way under sized in the post. I'm glad Self picked this guy up, we would've been in bad shape w/o another big man. As good as the coaching staff is, you can't teach size. I'm very happy with the way things turned out in this situation.

jaybate 11 years, 2 months ago

There is nothing wrong with playing below the rim, if you are effective there on offense, defense and rebounding.The Twins combined line was 19/12; that is darned good for a frosh combo on the blocks; and that indicates they are effective offensively and on the boards, even though they were getting clubbed around pretty bad. As Self has said repeatedly, they can score.But Self has never said the Twins are leapers. The Twins are not leapers, so far, anyway, and so they are going to have to bulk up in the off season and learn the horizontal game. They can do it. There are many bigs who have had long careers that had to play the horizontal game. There is nothing wrong with these two fine players that 25 pounds of cut muscle won't cure.Persons who continue to say Brady can't play at this level just are not watching the same player I am. First, he's playing out of position at the three and he's still the best defensive player on our team. Second, he's going up against guys 2 to 5 inches taller and handling them.Third, he's as green as any of the guys on the team and yet he's playing more steadily and fulfilling his role as well as anyone is. Let's get real here. In the game last night against UA, Little would NOT have taken ANY minutes away from Brady. For long stretches of the game, Brady was the ONLY bright spot on the floor. Little would have been taking big minutes at the 4 vs. UA. Little would have been the guy Self would have gone to in hopes of muscling Horne out of the production. Little would have been playing in place of Marcus Morris. Increasingly, it appears Marcus is the guy who is going to lose minutes to Little. I didn't give Brady a plugged nickel's chance of stopping Chase Budinger. Man, was I wrong. Even though UA was decoying with Budinger and playing through Hill and Jordan and Horne, Budinger was 1 for 9 on the shots he did take. And Brady was a huge part of that. There are two things people are not giving Brady credit for: 1) he is incredibly quick on his feet and a natural defender; and 2) he jumps very well. Oh, and he's got a short neck, so he plays taller than his height.Finally, landing Withey is the recruiting equivalent of kicking ass and taking names later. Self is just out-manned a ton of coaches. KU's recruiting class is now as good as anyone's in my opinion, with Thomas Robinson, Elijah Johnson and Jeff Withey. Add Wall, or Stephenson, and KU just went murderers row. KU is going to be so good next year it is going to be sick.I mean it is enough to make your head swoon.As late as a month ago I was still dreaming of a Fab 4 or 5. But lately I thought: no way! But with Bill Self, here is what you always do: BELIEVE!!!!!!!!

100 11 years, 2 months ago

Wow. Just what many of us thought would happen, pick up a star who leaves a program, although nothing nearly this big. This is huge. Makes you wonder how long Self has known about this.The greatest part is we get a "freshman" next year who will have practiced with the team for an ENTIRE year (against Aldrich and coached by Manning) before he starts playing in games (at the critical part of the season).Boy, if Collins stays next year, with or without, Wall or Stephenson, watch out... we're gonna be good. I said it once, I'll say it again -- boy did X Henry make a mistake. He just changed the entire outcome of his life. I really do feel bad for him.

Chadus 11 years, 2 months ago

Even though the Hawks lost in Arizona, boy did they win a big time recruit. On top of that he's a real down to earth guy.Arizona showed no class whatsoever when they denied his release.I met this kid while working at the Nike Global Challenge a couple summers ago in Portland, OR. Funny, he showed up to the 3 day event with nothing more than a daypack knowing full well Nike was gonna hook him up with loads of gear.Well done KU coaches!!!Merry Christmas y'all.

joeloveshawks 11 years, 2 months ago

This is great news for next year. Our lack of rebounding has been shown numerous times this year (especially against Arizona) so it is fantastic to have another big man in practice. I don't think we should red-shirt Little. He is supposed to be an outstanding talent and could really help us win games this year and next year.

Tony Bandle 11 years, 2 months ago

May I join the rest of you in wishing every one a Happy Holiday Season and, if the economy improves as much as KU's team for next year, we will be in great shape.I defer to my friend Jaybate but let's take a crack at the scholarship situation:No question, I think Collins goes NBA [ I personally don't think he is ready but I think his personal situation dictates this move.]. No way Aldrich should leave after this year....but, given the attitude of NBA GMs, he might.I think Brady will return the scholarship to improve the team. His dad was a "leave it all out there" player and Brady, despite possibly being the guy currently most earning his schloarship, is cut from the same cloth, "whatever it takes". Great kid, great family, great Jayawks. Transfers. Ladies and gentlemen, this is the source of additional scholarship availability and this is the area of speculation. All I can say for sure is look who is on the team now, look who is coming next year, compare positions , divide by PT and review results.Possible names of those who see minutes this year in serious PT jeopardy next year :are Appleton, Reed, Q.Thomas, Teahan, Teleford to name a few.With Withey, Robinson, Johnson, probably Little and maybe Wall/Stephenson coming next year, someone is leaving. Right now only HCBS may have the answer.When the dust settles and 2009/2010 season begins, KU is going to have one hell of a tteam!!!!!!!

mbmerriman 11 years, 2 months ago

WE SHOULD NOT RED SHIRT LITTLE, he will be back right when we get to the most important part of the season and when the young players start to fade. Getting Little back will be huge for this team, just because you guys have already given up on this year doesnt mean bill has

milwaukeeJAYHAWK 11 years, 2 months ago

when was the last time we had a 7-footer? Chenowith? Ostertag?

Nick Cole 11 years, 2 months ago

Me wanting Little to redshirt does not mean I have given up on this season. I might not think we are going win another NC this year (with or without Little), but that does not mean this season is a bust as long as we make it to the tourney. With Little redshirted, it gives him more time to heal, learn the system, practice with the players, bulk up, get these froshies more PT (which they desperately need more than Little does), and it will give us TWO FULL SEASONS with Little playing ball (i.e. Back to Back as long as others from this class and the next stay at KU). If anyone disagrees with any of the above, you have been sipping on a little too much eggnog.

Gary Denning 11 years, 2 months ago

Withey's Youtube highlights are great. He finishes strong, plays good off ball defense, and his shot looks good. He appears to move well for a 7' player. I'd like to see some highlights of him playing against some tall, strong kids to see how well he plays on ball defense against a guy his size. The year of sitting out after the transfer should help him a lot.He appears to have a lot more tools than say, Sasha Kaun.

100 11 years, 2 months ago

Check out the you tube stuff. Keep in mind much of this footage he was 17. This guy is a young Alonzo Mourning. Great skill set. Great athleticism. Relatively big and strong. Likes (loves) to get up and down. And, his leaping ability is great for a 7 footer. Fantastic jump shot. Wants to improve at the best school possible. Was sad when his team (Arizona) lost to KU. What more can be said about this guy? He and Aldrich together could be big trouble after a year of practice -- lots of back pick alley oops in 12 months. I'm so glad we didn't sign X. Best KU Xmas news ever.

LAJayhawk 11 years, 2 months ago

jaybate,I agree completely with regards to Brady. When I suggested that we badly need Little, I was doing so under the assumption that Brady's minutes wouldn't drop too significantly. My guess is he picks up some minutes at the 2, subbing for either Taylor or Sherron, and switches to the 3 to sub Little, or when Little plays some 4. I don't think Brady will continue to start with Little back (unless he completely outplays him in practice), but I still think he sees the floor most of the same amount of time. The odd man out appears to be Reed, and I agree that the twins time probably gets smaller -- unless they find a way to improve their strength which I don't see happening until the off season.Brady has proven himself in many areas including defensively and as an outside threat. He has made a few bad decisions with the ball, but mostly he's trustworthy on offense. He doesn't seem to have the ability to drive, however, which is supposed to be Little's game. With that element, I think this team sees much more success.

Chris Shaw 11 years, 2 months ago

Jaybate: Completely agree with you about Morningstar. KU fans have been hard on that kid. Keep up the good work Morningstar! He's been one of the few bright spots on the season. You got to love a kid who competes and you could see it in his eyes at the end of the game on the bench. Keep plugging and working Brady!

mbmerriman 11 years, 2 months ago

bleedcandb: i completely disagree with and i havent been drinking to much eggnog, the freshmen will be gassed once we get halfway into conference right when Little will be back, he will be a great breathe of fresh air. Little has already been in the system for three months and has already been in college for two years and looks like a pretty big kid who doesnt need bulk. Little coming back could be the difference between a good team and a mediocre team

Dirk Medema 11 years, 2 months ago

Gotta love that he's a VB player. All that jumping is great conditioning, and apparently has paid great dividends in blockd shots.

Nick Cole 11 years, 2 months ago

mbmerriman: You make some alright points. He has already been in college for two years and he has had about 3 months to learn the new system. But every athlete at this level gets better with experience. The longer we have him in our system, the more he will learn and the better he will get. You can't argue with that. Also, he is already a pretty big player. However, if he is redshirted, he will definitely have more time to hit the weight room to get stronger (and bigger). It never hurts when an athlete get stronger. You can't argue with that. If the freshman are gassed about halfway into conference play, one player will not substitute for four or five tired freshman, so having Little available to play in this regard probably will not benefit our team enough to make that much of a difference. Remember when Rush, Chalmers, and Wright were freshman? I believe they got significant PT and we won 19 of our last 22 games that season. I am sure HCBS has these kids (or will get them) conditioned enough and rest them at the right times for them to handle conference play. You can't argue with that. We each have our own opinions. I do see some benefit to not redsirting him. I would just rather the opposite happen considering the situation. I will trust in whatever decision Self makes. I have been dying to see Little play all season and I must admit that if we do redshirt him, it will be tough not getting to see him play this year. Either way, I know Self will make the right decision for this team right now and in the future. Rock Chalk!

SweedishHamma 11 years, 2 months ago

I think Appleton is a pretty obvious canidate to transfer. He doesn't seem quite cut out to get significant minutes this year, and that is before we add EJ. Even if Sherron leaves(at this point, he shouldn't as he doesn't look like a 1st rounder), Taylor and the uber athletic Elijah Johnson will hold the PG/SG spots. If Sherron does return, you are already putting one of Taylor/Johnson on the bench, Then, look at two other scholarship guards who are already coming off the bench before him, if not starting: Reed and Morningstar - who has earned every bit of his scholarship. I think Quintrell Thomas is the next most likely canidate to transfer. He's from the East Coast and he just isn't getting any PT. If you look at our team, next year we can reasonably project Cole and both Marcus and Markieff Morris to return. Then, we add in Thomas Robinson and now Jeff Withey. That is 4 big men who should all be ahead of Thomas on the depth chart. Last year, we had a big man rotation of 4 guys, with the 4th being seldom used Cole Aldrich. Even if you want to slide Marcus to the 3, you have to remember that Little will be healthy (crossing fingers) and that we are very high with Lance Stephenson. While I won't ever count a recruit before he commits, Brady has show the defensive ability to play the SF spot. So, You can use a 3 man rotation, in any order you chose of: Marcus Morris, Brady Morningstarr, Mario Little. It's important to note that all of my "projections" don't even get into what Releford might prove or develop into.I think we are likely to see 2-3 transfers/early entries and the most likely guys I can see on our team are the above-mentioned Appleton and Thomas. I could see Thomas excelling at a mid-major type school while I don't think Appleton is cut out for DI basketball honestly. He might catch on with a mid-major, but I can't see him earning much PT.

100 11 years, 2 months ago

Think about next year's starting 5 at the beginning of March Madness: wow. This is a killer NBA team. Imagine 6'11" Aldrich (very seasoned by this point), 7 foot Withey (seasoned after a year+ of KU practices and 3 months of games), 6'9" M.Morris (ready for primetime, used outside). Sherron Collins gets a starting spot, whether it's at point guard or not it's hard to forsee. The last starting spot on a power team like this would be up for grabs, depending on who is acquired also. Could be Taylor. Could be Little. This looks like a team that could easily win the whole thing next year and send 5 more off to the NBA.

Zona_Cats 11 years, 1 month ago

Withey has mad a very bad mistake Zona will get one of the best coach's in the country and be a power house once again and the little trader will wish he stayed. That just shows his true character he can’t commit and bails out when the going gets tough hope the little pansies leaves for the NBA early on you guys. Break a leg Withley at Kansas (fingers crossed)

jaytrey 11 years, 1 month ago

this is in regard to the debate about what we should do about the two scholarships. well my idea is that if we have no sholarships available for stephenson or wall then we're on course for a great year next year. see everyone's thinking all these freshmen are going to be like rose, beasley, durant, etc. when the possibility they turn out more like kyle singler's are more common. To me having sherron for a fourth year would be more valuable to our team than having wall or stephenson so no scholarships equals national title run to me. I mean do you want a proven fourth year senior whose just as talented as these guys running the show or some one year(so called phenom) talented but unproven kid manning your team. i mean you gotta figure with the experience the freshmen get this year they'll be ready for big things next year add sherron and cole to that mixture with two very talented freshmen already signed and a big man out of Arizona who would be a five star this year, and you have a recipe for something very special but i'm was just thinking so any comments please feel free

Tony Bandle 11 years, 1 month ago

jaytreyI don't diagree with you however you must at least admit to the possibility of Sherron's personal situation { son, family needs, etc.] may very well dictate he take the money and run if the NBA knocks on his door. Frankly, I haven't seen "lottery" anywhere in Sherron's game so a fourth year would be beneficial to all....if it weren't for the money.I truly think Sherron will declare after this season, ready or not. Anybody out there think I'm out in left field or am I standing on home plate???

jaytrey 11 years, 1 month ago

oakvillejhawk your very right also but the possibility that he sees those kinds of dollars guaranteed are slim to none. all he has to do is look at mario and realize how extremely tough it's going to be to get on a team in the nba let alone flourish. sherron reminds me of a poor man's version of will bynum formerly of arizona and georgia tech now with the Pistons(after a stint in the D league)he just seems to be on the out of control border to often for me, but if he works with the decision making process this year and next who knows what he could turn into.