Originally published August 20, 2008 at 01:31p.m., updated August 20, 2008 at 07:55p.m.

Freshman Jayhawk basketball player gets court date after BB gun incident

KU coach Self: 'We take this matter very seriously'

Incoming Kansas University basketball player Markieff Morris is accused of shooting an Airsoft rifle BB gun out of his university dorm room, possibly hitting a woman in the courtyard below, according to the KU Public Safety office.

Morris accused of shooting woman with BB gun

Incoming Kansas University basketball player Markieff Morris is accused of shooting an Airsoft rifle BB gun out of his university dorm room, possibly hitting a woman in the courtyard below, the KU Public Safety office said.

An incoming Kansas University basketball player is accused of shooting an Airsoft rifle BB gun out of his university dorm room, possibly hitting a woman in the courtyard below, the KU Public Safety office said.

Markieff Morris, 18, was issued a notice to appear in court after the incident, which the KU Public Safety office said occurred about 11:15 p.m. Saturday at Jayhawker Towers. According to a report from the KU Public Safety Office, Morris was suspected of using alcohol.

A 47-year-old woman from Mequon, Wis., was shot in the arm with a plastic BB in the courtyard of the building, police said in a report. She received minor injuries.

Morris was found in a nearby building, where he admitted to shooting the BB from the window of his residence at Jayhawker Towers, police said.

Officers seized a 3-foot-long black Airsoft rifle, valued at $100, and a medium-sized plastic bag of BBs, a police report states.

The Kansas University Student Housing Department is conducting its own investigation into the incident, said Jim Marchiony, KU associate athletics director.

"We're not going to have any comment until that process is complete," he said. "The fact-finding is ongoing."

Kansas University spokeswoman Jill Jess said information about the university's investigation would not be made public, in accordance with law.

Police charged Morris with battery, court records indicate, which is defined by city code as "intentionally or recklessly causing bodily harm to another person; or intentionally causing physical contact with another person when done in a rude, insulting or angry manner."

He is scheduled to appear at 1 p.m. Sept. 10 in Lawrence Municipal Court. The case was not sent to the Douglas County district attorney for consideration of charges, a spokeswoman said.

On Wednesday night, Kansas men's basketball coach Bill Self addressed the situation:

"We take this matter very seriously. Poor judgment was used by ever bringing an Airsoft gun, (one) that can be purchased at Wal-Mart, on campus that can shoot plastic BBs," he said.

Self also addressed the possibility of alcohol being involved.

"I would say concerning any alcoholic consumption, we do not condone that either. I am still gathering information to see if that actually occurred."

As far as possible disciplinary action against Morris, Self said, "This matter will be handled in-house."

Markieff Morris and his twin brother, Marcus Morris, known as "The Twins," came to KU from Philadelphia in late June. As of Wednesday night, the NCAA hadn't determined if they are academically eligible to play basketball this season.

Self said, if eligibility is granted, the twins would be at practice Thursday when KU begins preparing for its exhibition trip to Canada over the Labor Day Weekend.

Comments

kevbo 6 years ago

Airsoft WAY different from BB...they bounce right off. Still...pretty dumb.

bmkjayhawk 6 years ago

Off the topic, I'm not an insider on rivals.com, so I can't read the story that probably tells about whether or not John Wall is considering a visit to Kansas. Any input from anyone who has read this story?And I know he's probably leaning toward Baylor, but until he commits there, I wouldn't count us out, especially if he takes a visit to Lawrence.

sdoyel 6 years ago

How much damage can PLASTIC BB's do? Sounds like a kid being a kid, we used to shoot each other with paintballs and bottle rockets.... Is that battery?

Joe Joseph 6 years ago

How stoopid can you be?

97jhawk 6 years ago

Guess that part about being a representative for the entire university hasn't really sunk in yet. Sure, he's a frosh, but really, maybe he should concentrate more on studies than horseplay considering their academic woes. This is so lame. It's one thing to be messing around with air guns, but when you've been drinking and underage is another. Not good.

afilmer 6 years ago

what bothers me most is that the "suspect was intoxicated." i have a feeling that young morris wouldn't have been shooting BB's at people had he been sober. we all make stupid mistakes, but when you drink underage, you take a deliberate step towards stupid mistakes.i'm not perfect, and i don't expect 18 year old college kids to be perfect either, but the discipline should be swift and harsh to help this kid think through the next four years of his life.

truefan 6 years ago

The difference is that when you were young the spotlight wasn't on you at all times. You can't do stupid stuff like this when you are under a microscope like Markeiff. He's got to learn quickly to make better decisions.

jcepp 6 years ago

he shoulda just exposed his-self in the 'vator.

LAJayhawk 6 years ago

I will say, first off, that I am glad to hear from some of you that these "airsoft" guns are different and apparently less dangerous than regular BB guns. I have not seen one myself, so I cannot speak to that.What I do know is BB guns can be very dangerous. Actually deadly. I had a friend in Junior High who was killed when another friend jokingly shot him in the chest with a BB gun. It lodged in close to his heart, and after a day or so a blood clot formed and killed him.He was 12.And the other boy who shot him has maintained a drug-filled life with constant run-ins with authority ever since. The guilt of his mistake has clearly wrecked his life. And he cost his family (the father being the superintendent of an affluent school district of a Chicago suburb) an enormous sum of money in the lawsuit that followed.Now, clearly this situation is slightly different. At that range, there was a very minimal chance at a very serious injury, but that really shouldn't cause anyone to shrug it off as simply youthful indiscretion. It was a stupid, reckless, and immature act that could have had much worse consequences. Yes, he is a young college kid, and he will make mistakes (I certainly did), but this is more than that. And he should be punished.Now, personally, I don't think he should be kicked off the team. That would be too harsh. I do appreciate the fact that he admitted to it immediately. He now should stand tall and take whatever punishment is given to him by the court (I would guess probation with community service) and face severe punishment from the athletic department (suspension for several games, and, of course, whatever Coach dreams up).Take the punishment and learn from it. The respect will come back.Just stop being stupid.

dnvrhawk 6 years ago

Great start to the year....

sdoyel 6 years ago

I'm not saying it wasn't "battery", but I'm sure not ready to send him packing to Philly for shooting someone with a plastic BB.

Jacobpaul81 6 years ago

Somebody's going to be runnin' on the treadmill all year long.

BCRavenJHawkfan 6 years ago

Okay, the good news here is he quickly admitted to it when questioned.The bad news is the obvious, the all round poor judgement.The old news is, THE TWINS ARE STILL WORKING ON ACADEMIC ELIGIBILITY. Please, get a tutor, anything, and end this study hall.

jayhawkgolden 6 years ago

You would have thought the Journal-World would omit the kid's phone number and driver's license number before posting a copy of the complaint. Classy move JW.

Joe Ross 6 years ago

Observations:Morris' accuser deserves respect. If you dont know where this observation comes from then you havent been around the last couple of months.Secondly, these kids need to be educated on the traditions at KU...one of which is CLASS. Third, and finally, I for one am really worried about these Morris twins. Academic eligibility in question, minor in possession, charges pending for reckless endangerment. What the hell is in the mind of a kid who would bring a BB gun to campus anyway??? Yes, im worried about these kids. I hope we dont have another CJ or JR on our hands. Get Xavier here...he'll show em.

cklarock 6 years ago

Maybe he was shooting at whichever woman turned down her elevator audience with Sherron's danglies? Kind of a sniper exhibitionist overwatch?I bet she decided to call KU security when her boyfriend stomped up there to confront the lone shooter on the grassy knoll and found out he was 6-8".In all seriousness, this is the kind of non-story that wouldn't have made the news 20 years ago, and it shouldn't now. 18-year-olds do dumb stuff sometimes, and intoxicated 18-year-olds moreso. In other news, water is still wet.

Dyrk Dugan 6 years ago

this is not good. it's one thing to be in a compromising situation....it's quite another to physically hoist yourself into an incident....a "battery charge" at that. he better confess fully, beg for forgiveness, and keep his nose clean for as long as he is here.and how about getting eligible...haven't classes at KU already started?

Jason Spangler 6 years ago

you can take the kid out the sticks but you can't take the sticks out the kid

Andy Hess 6 years ago

yea boot him out of here... good lord, you people are ridiculous. it's a PLASTIC pellet gun. i had one when i was a kid. Markieff is 18 and a college freshman. Freshmen do that sh!t (and much worse) all the time. just punish him and move on.

rdjayhawk 6 years ago

send them to school and they eat the books!

KU 6 years ago

Kansaspike.....If you are referring to "A Christmas Story", it's: "You'll SHOOT your eye out with that thing."

jayhawkinATL 6 years ago

Great!!!!! Not even qualified yet and you're already causing trouble on campus. F-ing idiot!!!!!

buddy2me 6 years ago

does it really matter how much damage a plastic bb can do? No it doesn't. he is under age and drinking and shooting people out his window. How can anyone see how this is no big deal. i would bet that when the people on here are talking about their kids shooting each other with platic BBs and that they maybe use to do it, it doesn't matter, he was drinking. He should be spending this extra time on becoming eligible!

Larry Smith 6 years ago

The thing that kills me are the people who keep talking about him doing something to become eligible. Either you are not paying attention or your are not very smart.He has done everything possible. They are not working on anything, because there is nothing for them to work on. There is nothing more he can do other than wait on the ncaa clearinghouse.

kansaspike 6 years ago

You'll poke your eye out!

BigTamale 6 years ago

You've got to be kidding me...he better grow up quick.

bryan123456789 6 years ago

you guys are already comparing him to CJ Giles, hell Giles was already elidible and practicing by this time him freshman year, Giles didn't get in trouble until after his first year, and I for one would drag a girl out of my bedroom by her ankles if my girlfriend was about to be up there and she wouldnt leave. I say kick both the twins off the team and save the scholorships for some MsDonalds all americans next year. We've still got Kleinman to help anchor our front line with Cole and Q.Thomas...lol

rockchalkblock 6 years ago

HAHAHA the rediculous thing is that the woman reported it, i mean come on, this reminds me of when I was younger and had bb gun wars.

Drew Bender 6 years ago

"If you drink alcohol, your not commited to basketball?"I cant even count how many times I saw the players from last years NC team out at the bars... One night I saw every team member out drinking at a certain hot spot... Even though they had a couple cocktails it still turned out pretty good for everybody... Its college... Let them enjoy it however they like and just hope they dont do anything extremely stupid (shoot somebody)... They are human like everyone else and also enjoy having a good time and fitting in with new friends... The only exception with these kids is that everything they do gets put under a huge microscopeie. Tyler Hansbrough (sucks) jumping off a balcony into a pool at a frat party

KUJayhawk70 6 years ago

Sure hope he shoots as well on the court! ;-)

jerhawk 6 years ago

coach self will be right on top of it- look at his quote. he is a being and sometimes they make mistakes. the ad will deal with it- coming off a great season in sports- they will deal with it. rock chalk

Larry Smith 6 years ago

I don't know if I should laugh or be upset. First off, all my kids have airsoft guns as do half the kids in our neighborhood. They are constantly running around shooting each other. It's a plastic bb, and at that distance how much velocity could it have when it hit someone in the arm. On the other hand, I would be reaming my kids butt if they were to do this . If the person is not a willing participant, you just can't do it. It was a bad decision and I am sure coach Self will handle accordingly.

jayhawkinATL 6 years ago

He's the suckier twin anyway, right??? Good riddance.

WilburNether 6 years ago

It is absolutely disgusting to see idiots make excuses for this punk and his conduct.

Larry Smith 6 years ago

typo your should be you

Martin Rosenblum 6 years ago

Are there no cameras mounted outside dorms like there are in most places these days? If there were, the footage should be reviewed and possibly a "second gunman" would be questioned. After all, we don't know the trajectory of the bull.. no, pellet. Could there have been an accomplise? If no cameras are there, I bet somebody was filming something else nearby, "Zapruder-ish", and we'd know the truth about this incident! Then again, maybe we'll never really know unless Oliver Stone gets involved.

slatkins 6 years ago

Yes, bottle rockets and paint balls at an unwilling participant/victim is battery.

yates33333 6 years ago

He's a big kid. These things are toys not real guns or not even Red Ryder BB guns. The pellet is slightly larger than a BB and plastic. It hurts and could do damage if hit by it in the eye. But weren't most of these individuals, who are commenting here, ever kids? Kids do nutty, dumb things even if KU recruits them as basketball players. The spotlight does make them vulnerable to criticisms most kids could or would avoid. Get real, have a heart. Scold him severely but let it ride.

Eurekahwk 6 years ago

Sounds like he has an ornery streak. I think that hood comment was completely inappropriate. My stupid little cousin does the same crap and he lives in a town of 2500. And he's white. He and his friends have those airsoft guns. I just hope our new guys can take a lesson in responsibility from this.

Jeff Worthington 6 years ago

Get ready to get razzed at every road game for the rest of your life for this one. Smooth move.

Mr_Sandman 6 years ago

Those airsoft guns piss me off. Two of my buddies had them in the dorms when I was an undergrad. I hid them from those guys all the time. They don't hurt too bad but can leave a nice mark. Anyway, strike one man. Pretty stupid move when this new class of Hawks needs to make a good impression. Get your head on straight, you are playing for the defending National Champs!

rockchalkjayhawk4ku11 6 years ago

what the hell. this is so stupid of him. Now we have to worry about sherron and the Morris kid

Eurekahwk 6 years ago

If you drink alcohol, your not commited to basketball? So is alcohol the reason none of our teams in the mid 90s won the NC? Because I'm sure they enjoyed a few. I know that they did in the early 2000s.

5DecadeHawk 6 years ago

Regardless of how Markiff is punished, I'm very very thankful that the victim only received "minor injuries." I'm saddened that anyone got hurt at all, however minor.I trust Bill Self will handle this situation appropriately.If his own investigation coroborates this article, I suspect that Kiff has forfeited his plane ticket to Canada. Perhaps more. Missing out on this trip will likely put Kiff well behind other players in earning playing time. He only has himself to blame.Lew Perkins:I renew my request for an UPGRADE in the athletic department's student athlete conduct education. We need to be teaching these student athletes how to become role models better than we currently are. Every athlete should be taught about how to avoid situations that can lead to problems. Some situations are created by the athletes themselves, some situations are created by overzealous fans, and still more situations are created by low lifes trying to take advantage of star athletes. (I'm NOT implying the latter is the case for the victim of this incident.)The moment student athletes arrive on campus, the education must begin. We cannot afford to wait until classes begin. Some kind of week long Role Model Orientation and Boot Camp for every athlete in every sport might be appropriate in the weeks before classes start. This could coincide with some field trips to area hospitals, nursing homes, and other places for 'on the job training' after they have been taught proper behaviours and the expectations of KU.Every athlete should have a mentor, especially Freshmen and new Transfers.Our recent successes and upgrades on the courts and playing fields must have a cooresponding upgrade in all the support structure for our athletes.GET ER DONE LEW! It's very cheap insurance.

Brett Gaul 6 years ago

It's "you'll shoot your eye out." I wonder if it was a Red Ryder BB gun??

JHawk252 6 years ago

Welcome to the bigs, kid. Get smart quick or get your talented body off to some community college. The learning curve here has to do with a lot more than just an orange ball.

KUFan90 6 years ago

No worries about Sherron. His court date isn't until April.

JBurtin 6 years ago

5DecadeHawkSounds like a hell of an idea. Especially the part about the mentor. They ought to assign each of the older players a younger player so they can teach them how to have fun without doing something stupid. I'm not asking them to be saints, and I certainly don't think an incident with an Airsoft gun is all that serious, but he could have easily had just as much fun that night without doing something to get himself noticed.They have training for all the coaches on NCAA rules, some orientation for new players definitely sounds like it's in order now too.

dannyxo 6 years ago

At least now we know he can shoot from inside and outside and has great long distance accuracy.Shooting a BB gun out the window is typical college behavior. Choosing people as targets is the thing that worries me.

Jason Spangler 6 years ago

you can take the kid out the hood but never the hood out the kid

FlashyThundercat 6 years ago

They should let the woman shoot him with the same gun, see how it feels.

longhawk 6 years ago

Yeah, it's the "drunk" part that bothers me. Frankly, I don't care about college freshmen drinking, per se (know it's illegal and all). But athletes SHOULD be held to a higher standard. And when it affects your behavior, you went TOO far.

ajs10 6 years ago

well, lets hope he makes his court date...

Jason Spangler 6 years ago

kevbo, they don't "bounce right off" your eyeball

NH_JHawk 6 years ago

Lord knows I did plenty of stupid stuff when I was 18 and far away from home. Having said that, this certainly ranks right up there with one of the dumbest things you can do. Hopefully this incident will serve as a wake up call to young Markieff, and the other newbies, that it's time to grow up and start behaving like men.

JBurtin 6 years ago

"They should let the woman shoot him with the same gun, see how it feels."If he owns an airsoft gun, he's probably been shot by it many, many times. I've been shot by one and it's nothing to get worked up about.I think people's reactions would be much more in line with the reality of the situation if they had actually used an airsoft gun a time or two. Calling it a BB gun is simply a misrepresentation of the facts. Kids shoot each other with airsoft guns all the time and it doesn't cause anything more than a temporary mild sting. Of course it could have done more damage if it had hit her in the eye, so obviously it was a stupid and irresponsible thing to do. I just don't think it's anything to get all worked up about. The legal system and Bill Self will handle the situation, and he'll most likely learn his lesson. If he doesn't, then maybe you have a problem.

WisconsinJayhawk 6 years ago

A few things: kid is barely eligible to begin with (IF he IS eligible) and so ought to realize he needs to be doing things differently than what he's done before. 2) He's only been here a few weeks and already he's getting in trouble. It's like stealing a stapler on your first day at a new job-- dumb! 3) Drinking not permitted; you cannot be 100% committed to BB if you're getting drunk and getting into mischief, ESPECIALLY before you've done or proving ANYTHING.Its the fact that he's barely clinging to being on the team tos start with (academics) and it doesnt seem to mean enough to him just to be here-- its an honor he doesnt seem to appreciate. If he'd had a season or 2 of 'credit" to his name w/ no trouble, it wouldnt bother me nearly so much. I think this need to be punished stiffly, lest he get the wrong idea. Nip it in the bud!

DSommersby 6 years ago

Come on Markieff. You have to be smarter than pulling this sort of stupid stunt. You are VERY lucky that you did not hit the lady in the face and hurt her much worse. Please be smart, use your head, and represent yourself and KANSAS in a much more positive manner. I will chalk this up to very youthful indiscretion for a new freshmen, but you better learn fast and make more intelligent decisions. Get it together! All newcomers have been warned. Markieff just used the mulligan for all new guys. Hope the lady is doing fine and we are all sorry for this screw up!

rcaltrider 6 years ago

This was definitely a stupid thing to do, but these idiots on here calling for him to be booted off of the team are ridiculous. He's 18 or 19 years old. He should be punished and hopefully learn from this but this is not something he should be booted off of the team for. I did plenty of stupid things when I was a kid and a young adult as have most people. The difference is, we didn't get all of our stupid acts spread around in the paper and on the internet. Give him a break and hope he learns from this.

LAJayhawk 6 years ago

Jhaux,Thanks for the info. That makes it slightly less terrible in my eyes. Still an remarkably stupid move, though.

Martin Rosenblum 6 years ago

He's lucky there wasn't some law enforcement person who saw him pointing a gun out of a window. Some of those airsoft guns look exactly like assault weapons up close, much less sticking out of a window on an upper floor. He could have been the unfortunate victim of some campus cop or LPD officer's reaction.

KEITHMILES05 6 years ago

Good gawd kid. This ain't Philadelphia. Grow up.

Lance Hobson 6 years ago

Just the shear amount of comments on this should be a lesson to him. This ain't the hood, it's college. Grow up and use some sense. I see a CJ Giles history beginning...

Shazam 6 years ago

Markieff just made front-runner for the C.J Giles award.

jayhawkliz 6 years ago

Self needs to kick his bouttie!

ku98 6 years ago

Coach Self is going to have his hands full this year.

jayhawksnumber1 6 years ago

This is where the upperclassmen need to assert themselves and since we don't have many then the 'leaders' need to step forward. If the team learns from this then it will serve a purpose, if not and s**t continues, then we have problems. For you younger readers you might not have of heard about Barry Switzer's problems with his football players at OU, the rat tat tat of machine guns and other shananigans. Switzer basically looked the other way for too long because of the pressure to win. Hopefully Coach Self will not allow that to happen here at KU. Now for the fun news, KU is starting practice today and although I have enjoyed being able to toast the National Basketball Champions, I look forward to the new season with excitement and anticipation. Rock Chalk JayHawk Babyyyyyyyy!!!

KGphoto 6 years ago

Or maybe we could just show him a picture book of the "minor injuries" caused by the "weapon". I'm sure he would be horrified by the red dot on her arm, and would never do it again.Not nearly as upset about the physical act, as I am about the mental gaff by a player who's basically on pre-academic probation.Jeremy Case! Where are you?

KGphoto 6 years ago

Wow austenarcher! Out on parole are you?

klineisanazi 6 years ago

I don't really care about the incident itself. It does appear to be typical college freshman drunken stupidity. But no matter what the NCAA or KU tells you, these aren't normal freshman. These are or will become the most recognizable students on campus, and starting in November they will be defending national champions, with almost every game televised, playing one of the toughest schedules in recent memory. You think teams wanted to beat KU before? Just wait. And they won't care a bit that only two players of note return from the 2008 team. Do you think KU fans cared that its first victory over Nebraska in nearly 40 years came over one of the worst Nebraska teams in 40 years? Strap it on guys.

KirkwoodHawk 6 years ago

Apparently most folks commenting here don't have kids this age, and didn't live in a dorm at KU. My son got woken up at 5am this morning before the 1st day of classes because someone pulled the fire alarm in his dorm. I have a college freshman and a high school junior, and if I don't have a "proud parenting moment" from at least one of them each week, I am shocked. It has something with their frontal lobes not being fully developed until they are 23 - 25 years old. When I lived in a dorm at KU, we had people throw wet wads of toilet paper out of the 10th floor window, cracking a windshield on one car and denting the roof on another. We had a kid shooting his bb gun down the hall at the trash chute and almost hit a kid coming out of his room. We had another kid rip out button panels on both elevators and set an RA's door on fire. City refused to prosecute him. They did, however, prosecute the kid who set off the pipe bomb in the Naismith stairwell. This isn't new stuff for 18-21 year olds going to college.

Brady Swenson 6 years ago

The Jayhawks need to hire a Director of Freshman Babysitting.

Rick Arnoldy 6 years ago

I doubt we'll see Markieff in Canada regardless if he is eligible. I have no doubt his practice time will consist of more running than normal. It was a stupid thing to do by a incoming freshman. Coach and the upper classmen will come down hard on him and that will be the end of it (but kept on file). Those calling for his ouster are way over reacting at this point.

JBurtin 6 years ago

"At least now we know he can shoot from inside and outside and has great long distance accuracy."+20Funniest thing I've read in a long time. It's so obvious I can't believe nobody else said it before you.

KGphoto 6 years ago

Too bad the kid can't read. This post might help straighten him out.

cobweb 6 years ago

I'm sure Markieff was just bored from studying so much.

mr_lawrence 6 years ago

Boys will be boys? It deserves a harsh punishment, to be sure. Kansas, especially national champion Kansas, does not need problem athletes, and I hope the whole team learns a lesson from this. This is a bit of a test for Bill, just into a big, new contract. I say, 10 game suspension; next time, the boot. It'll be interesting to see what the court says.

FlaHawk 6 years ago

COach Self should punish him, if he becomes elgible, by leavinghim home on the Canada trip. These kids are not here to think or act mature. They are here to play BB. Sit his ass to allow him to understand discipline and rules.On a lighter side, at least he left the "heat" back in Philly/Cherry Hills NJ.Don't the dorms ban any for of a gun? I am surprised the Towers did not kick him out or at least put him on probation. How the heck do you have dorm security ala VaTech?

austenarcher 6 years ago

He was stupid for admitting to doing it. Duh, the law cant charge you without immediate evidence unless you admit to it.

Kman_blue 6 years ago

I think the under-aged drinking is the more serious part of this story. I also think he should be punished however the University/Coach see fit, but booting him would be a horrible knee-jerk reaction, almost as irresponsible as the act itself.With that said, these airsoft "guns" are nothing like a BB gun, not even the cheapo $15 pump and shoot type BB guns. At point blank range they can't do more than leave a small red mark and make you go "OUCH!". At the range the woman was shot at, you'd be like "What was that? Did a big bug just fly into me or what?". My nephew and his friends have wars with these guns all the time, so much so their neighborhood is littered with the little plastic/rubber BB's. The worst injury in 3 or 4 years of wars, one kid got a red mark on his back that didn't go away after an hour or so, but took a day or two to go away. He got it point blank in the back. Also, most of these "guns" are brightly colored and/or largely transparent so you can see the brightly colored plastic/rubber BB's inside. That's no excuse for what Markieff did, but put it in some perspective for cry'in out loud. When I was living in a dorm at KU, people were launching water balloons from the parking lot of Naismith with those 3 man sling shots, up and over Naismith Hall, over Naismith Drive, over Oliver Hall, and hitting people and cars in the parking lot behind and people in Oliver were doing the same back at Naismith. Some people even started launching them out of the 10th floor windows across Naismith at the other dorm. Talk about battery run amuck! Yet, no charges, no court cases, no permanent damage, but a lot of wet shocked people(from not having any idea how they got hit until afterwards). Kids do dumb things at college, you grow up and move on.Fires were also being constantly set in trash cans, constant false fire alarms being pulled at 4am or 5am...then again that kid was a pyromaniac and eventually got caught, charged, kicked out of school and the dorm after he continued to do it after he got caught the first time. lol