Thursday, September 27, 2007

KU cracks top 10 in preseason magazines

Predictions from various organizations and publications are starting to surface with the Oct. 12 beginning of college basketball season rapidly approaching.

One of the most respected of all the preseason magazines - Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook - taps the Jayhawks seventh in the country, tops in the Big 12 Conference.

North Carolina is No. 1, followed by UCLA, Georgetown, Tennessee, Memphis and Michigan State. After KU, Louisville, Indiana and Marquette complete the Top 10. At No. 19, Texas is the only other league team in the top 25.

Lindy's Magazine has KU No. 8 in its preseason poll. UCLA is No. 1, followed by UNC, Tennessee, Memphis, Louisville, Georgetown and Washington State. Michigan State is No. 9 and Indiana 10. Mark Turgeon's Texas A&M; team garners a No. 14 ranking and Texas No. 20. Lindy's also claims KU will win the Big 12.

Athlon Sports says KU will reach the Elite Eight. It predicts a national title game of North Carolina versus UCLA. According to Athlon, KU wins the league title, followed by Texas, Texas A&M;, Kansas State, Missouri, Baylor, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Nebraska, Texas Tech, Colorado and Iowa State.

ESPN's Fran Fraschilla, meanwhile, predicts KU will win the conference title, followed by Texas A&M;, Texas, Missouri, Kansas State, Oklahoma, Baylor, Texas Tech, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Colorado and Iowa State.

¢ Recruiting: Marcus and Markieff Morris, 6-foot-7 and 6-8 forwards from APEX Academy in Pennsauken, N.J., tell Rivals.com they are considering six schools: KU, LaSalle, Rutgers, St. John's, Villanova and West Virginia. ... KU coach Bill Self recently traveled to Cowley County CC to visit with 6-6 sophomore Montrell McDonald, who recently transferred to the Arkansas City junior college from George Washington University. He is a native of Fort Worth, Texas. ... J'Mison Morgan, 6-10 from Dallas' South Oak Cliff High tells Rivals.com he will make an official visit to Alabama. He's already visited KU, LSU and UCLA. Kentucky remains on his list. He will announce his college choice on his birthday, which is Nov. 2. ... Mario Little, 6-5 from Chipola (Fla.) CC, will visit Illinois this weekend. His other finalists are KU and Kansas State. The Chicago native told Rivals.com he'll pick a school within a week of his U of I visit. ... KU's Self was at South Kent High in Connecticut on Wednesday recruiting 7-foot senior center Assane Sene, who hails from Senegal. UConn, Syracuse and Virginia are three of the many schools recruiting Sene.

Comments

Ray March 12 years, 5 months ago

yeah, i don't consider "cracking the top 10" any love either. i guess those pubs are downgrading due to brush's injury. whatev........they're all shmoes anyway.

okjhok 12 years, 5 months ago

Doesn't appear to be much love for the Jayhawks from those pubs, unless you consider just being in the top-10 as getting love. I don't. MSU ahead of KU is laughable, and Tennessee ahead of KU is almost laughable. I see UNC as a clear-cut #1, with UCLA, Memphis, G'town, and KU in any order after that. So, no love from them, but time will tell...still a little more interested in football right now. Can't wait for 6 October.

okjhok 12 years, 5 months ago

Oh yeah, Wazzu and Padgettville ahead of KU.....laughable as well.

Kyle Crenshaw 12 years, 5 months ago

o well, these polls dont matter at all. id trade 7th in preseason for 1st at the end any year and with b rush due back in dec. we should be good

hobrauer 12 years, 5 months ago

I agree with you both, but remember that the analysts predominately see that KU lost Julian and that Brandon is still a rather large question mark. I'm not saying Brandon won't be great, because I think he will - I just think that analysts use every reason they can to be cautious in their forecasting.

danimal33 12 years, 5 months ago

I expect big things from our hawks this year. I don't think any of these jokers got their rankings right. I see a clear cut top 3 of UNC, Memphis, and KU in any order. They are all head and shoulders above the other teams listed here. Having Louisville ranked ahead of ku is just assinine. Can't wait for Oct. 6, should be fun watching the hawks beat up on the kittycats.

Rock Chalk!

Timmay97 12 years, 5 months ago

The fact they have Georgetown ahead of KU is insane. Georgetown lost Green, which (for that team) is a MUCH bigger loss than KU losing Wright. We have an immediate EXPERIENCED replacement in Arthur. Who does Georgetown have? Hibbert is still, in my opinion overrated.

UCLA, Memphis and UNC are the only ones that "could" be ranked ahead of Kansas. The Jayhawks are way more experienced this year having a ton of seniors and really only one freshman who could possibly make an impact THIS year (Aldrich).

Let them run and gun with the guard play......let's get this season started.

justanotherfan 12 years, 5 months ago

I'm surprised at these rankings because most every magazine that I saw early in the summer was saying that Memphis and UNC were 1-2. UCLA moving up despite losing Afflalo is surprising. Georgetown also lost Green, who was their best player. We lost Julian, who was one of our top players, and will probably be without Brandon for at least the first couple of games, so based on that, I could see us sitting outside the top 5, but its a stretch. Michigan State didn't do much last year and unless one of their recruits is the second coming, I don't understand their rank.

On another note, where did Assane Sene fall from the sky? You don't usually see 7-footers just suddenly pop up on the radar. He must be a little raw. Merits looking into.

JayCeph 12 years, 5 months ago

A national championship game between the good guys and NC would be solid! I know how I'd want that to end up... KU winning the whole enchilada at the stripe.

Whew... I just got goosebumps.

I don't give a $h*t about NC. tee hee hee

billiken_hawk 12 years, 5 months ago

that would be the biggest game of the last few years (if not decade) if it were to happen. just think of all the storylines... roy v ku for the first time.... the two most prolific teams of basketball.... it just goes on and on... as long as we dont lose in 3ot. >: (

JayCeph 12 years, 5 months ago

Football season? Not in this article's message board.

caddie733 12 years, 5 months ago

I agree that these rankings are based solely on Wright's departure and Rush's health. In a way, I'm kind of glad to lose Wright because of his inconsistency and the fact that he wasn't a true #4. I think with Arthur, we gain a lot offensively and can run a more traditional set with a little more size up front. I think the whole season rests on the knee of Rush. He is the key to how far this team will go. We need him healthy, more for his defense than offense.

caddie733 12 years, 5 months ago

Also, I find it odd and somewhat sad when someone posts something like "who cares?" If you don't care, why even be on this message board and comment. Other people commenting don't affect you at all. By the way, the story links have little icons next to them to tell you what sport the story is about, so just don't click on a basketball icon if you don't care since it is football season. Besides, last time I checked, KU is still a basketball school, so wake me up when the football team is considered as having a down year when being ranked as a preseason top 10 team.

seattlehawk_78 12 years, 5 months ago

Given that we lost Julian and Brandon is hurt I'd say they were pretty kind to us. But, this is not football so the rankings mean nothing.

Between UCLA and UNC in the title game I can't decide who I like less.

WisconsinJayhawk 12 years, 5 months ago

Who cares aobut basketball when its cross country and volleyball season? I thought the icon was a little orange volleyball.

kutravis 12 years, 5 months ago

We shouldn't be discussing football, basketball, volleyball, or cross country......NASCAR is in KC this weekend.....now that's a sport. Grown men sitting in a car for hours, without going to the bathroom, making left hand turns, talk about skill. Man, now thats excitement if there ever was.

I mean, OCT. 12th!

billiken_hawk 12 years, 5 months ago

it really doesnt matter. we'd be belly aching about these if they ranked us 3. besides weve been ranked 1 before and how many times has that worked out for us? we should not care. itll put a chip on our guys shoulder and they will play their way to one by the end of the season.

William James 12 years, 5 months ago

Hey madmangine, where ya been? You got a prediction on the game that is now, less than 10 days away?

ralsterKUMed95 12 years, 5 months ago

KU vs UNC: Hmmm, our atheletes teach their atheletes about what happens when you add a smooth halfcourt, zone-bustin' offense and killer defense to run,run,run transition ball. We can run with anyone, including UNC, but can they handle our defense? Will they be able to handle DArthur (& DJackson) down low? The FL girls clearly could not, and Arthur was but a frosh...now he is experienced, more confident, and has gotten alot of reps and work in--lookout! Who cares about preseason polls, we know the depth and talent of our team. We just have to overcome the weakness of our BigXII opponents and be able to hammer out 60min of ball game after game after game in late March and April, games where every possession and every FT matter.

Dirk Medema 12 years, 5 months ago

The grown men of NASCAR sitting in a car for hours do go to the bathroom. Their jump suits are just sealed at the ankles.

Marcia Parsons 12 years, 5 months ago

"...hammer out 60min of ball game after game after game..." Sixty minutes? Isn't it 40?

ralsterKUMed95 12 years, 5 months ago

yup! Oops! I've been talking about NFL football with the guys at work right before that post--60min fball, and 40min of bball....

OwenJarvisIII 12 years, 5 months ago

It doesn't matter where we're ranked until Slick Billy Self steps up his X's & O's game...

Championship or Bust... This is KU Basketball, let's see if Self finally puts all that recruiting he's done to some good use...