Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Kansas football (gasp!) hits road

Jayhawks actually leaving the state for the first time

Reesing hoping to extend perfect record

After six collegiate starts, sophomore Todd Reesing still owns a perfect record as KU's QB.

Seven weeks and six games for Kansas University's football team so far have produced a travel log of about 80 miles.

Hey, nobody is apologizing. There's not a team in college football who wouldn't want to stay home all the time if given the opportunity.

But the 15th-ranked Jayhawks are going to be leaving the state of Kansas for the first time this week, when they travel to play a 4:45 p.m. Saturday game against Colorado in Boulder, Colo. It looks to put a slight hitch in what's becoming a routine around Lawrence.

So far, Kansas (6-0 overall, 2-0 Big 12 Conference play) has played five games at Memorial Stadium and one at Kansas State in Manhattan.

KU coach Mark Mangino, though, said leaving the Sunflower State shouldn't pose any problem.

"It's not like we're going all the way to West Coast or the East Coast," Mangino said. "We're just flying an hour and a half : it's not that big of a deal."

The Jayhawks did do the normal road-game routine for Kansas State. They left Friday afternoon after a walk-through in Lawrence and visited Bill Snyder Family Stadium before crashing in a Manhattan hotel. Kansas won the game the next day, 30-24, in front of a hostile crowd of 50,924.

This week, it'll be a plane flight instead of a bus ride.

Kansas better get used to the routine on the road. Three of KU's next four games are away from Lawrence, including showdowns at Colorado, Texas A&M (Oct. 27) and Oklahoma State (Nov. 10). Only a home game against Nebraska on Nov. 3 breaks up the travel splurge.

Comments

Displayhawk 6 years, 9 months ago

Rock on Guys! ......I will be there in Boulder to root for you guys against the Buffboys!

Kevin Long 6 years, 9 months ago

It seems like KU gets a big showing in Boulder for football and basketball. There must be a lot of alumni out there. I really hope to see a lot of blue in the stands, this one could be tough.

What is the deal with Kyle Tucker this year??? He has been fine his first 3 years and now he is just terrible! Is he hurt?

Migady 6 years, 9 months ago

Denver is Lawrence West. I know a bunch of people headed to Boulder for this game. There should be plenty of blue to represent.

sevenyearhawk 6 years, 9 months ago

There are a LOT of Jayhawks in western Kansas, I couldn't BELIEVE the blue in the stands two years ago, and of course we pretty much own their arena in basketball ...

chezlog 6 years, 9 months ago

Kyle Tucker is fine. He was assigned to punt poorly in the games against weak opponents. This has fooled every team scouting us into thinking that we need Kerry Meier punt. Of course we are really going to use Kerry to get a first down every time we need one on 4th and long. (Sorry coaches - I know you wanted this to be kept a secret but I thought the other fans needed to know.)

Kevin Long 6 years, 9 months ago

If that is what they are doing with Tucker, I have never heard of anything like it.

I remember that sevenyear. The Rock Chalk Chant was almost as loud as at home. It was cool.

bmcmich1 6 years, 9 months ago

Besides KC, Denver is the place where most of the people I knew at KU ended up. Just like Chicago, Dallas, and LA, there are a ton of alums out there who come to the games in droves. I've gotten several emails from friends out there who are pretty excited about getting to see the 'hawks. Jayhawk nation is everywhere.

Michael Leiker 6 years, 9 months ago

chezlog - where you getting your info? That sounds almost plausible.

I've been over on the boulder newpaper site posting a little bit and there are a lot of buff fans who are chalking this one up in the L column already. Pretty interesting......and realistic.

Rick Arnoldy 6 years, 9 months ago

Posted by chezlog "(Sorry coaches - I know you wanted this to be kept a secret but I thought the other fans needed to know.)"

Too late. We already read it in the "VIP Connection".

Mike Hart 6 years, 9 months ago

Hopefully, the Jayhawks won't show up, start turning the ball over, and choke the game away late. That's Kansas tradition.

Nutflush21 6 years, 9 months ago

Hopefully CU will have some recruits in, party with some skanky stippers and go on a drinking binge. All while using stolen slush fund money from brokeass footbal camps. Afterall, thats CU tradition.

okjhok 6 years, 9 months ago

I saw you over there, Leikness. I put in my two cents as well. For the most part, they seem to know what they're talking about. Chezlog...that's pretty good. Almost too good...

JayCeph 6 years, 9 months ago

SportsIllustrated's football power rankings: KU, MU, and KState all are in the top 20. Wow!

okjhok 6 years, 9 months ago

Good link, JayCeph, but obviously SI doesn't do it's homework. They wrote that KSU beat CU in Boulder.

bmcmich1 6 years, 9 months ago

Yeah, first time in history that KU, KSuck, and MU have all been ranked at the same time.

That Mandel guy is a moron, though, in his capsule on KSU he put that they beat CU in Boulder, elaborating that they fared better than OU did there. Hey Stewie, the game was in MANHATTAN.

Michael Leiker 6 years, 9 months ago

ok - I'd say they're more reasonable than us a-holes in general actually. But I'll take us a-holes anyday.

sevenyearhawk 6 years, 9 months ago

Should be another great weekend of football!

I've got a couple pounds of ground buffalo sitting in my fridge right now! :D

okjhok 6 years, 9 months ago

I hear ya, Leikness. 7...while buffalo may the good choice this weekend, I wouldn't recommend it for the long haul. Too lean for me.

daverinoku 6 years, 9 months ago

Pardon me for maybe being clueless, but is there any online site to watch highlights or full games after the KU football games are over?

My wife is a big Sooner fan and soonersports.com has all this sort of thing. We seem to be lacking...

Thanks for any leads (URL's).

JBurtin 6 years, 9 months ago

7 this week

5 different polls have us ranked #1 and our lowest is #35.

sevenyearhawk 6 years, 9 months ago

okjhok,

if you haven't seen a picture of me, a little lean meat might not hurt! :D

I'm only about 100-150 lbs from Coach Mangino ...

6 years, 9 months ago

Display, troutsee, and the rest of the KU fans making the trek to Boulder, if you have never been there before, watch out for some of their fans. I hear it can get fairly "interesting" at times. fabio, if you are going, be sure to wear sevenyear's hardhat!

troutsee 6 years, 9 months ago

I've been there 3 times before without problems but I know they are known for their drunk, obnoxious fans, especially the student body. I will keep my head and eyes up.

bmcmich1 6 years, 9 months ago

The fans and students that actually do support their team are indeed borderline psychotic. This probably has to do with the fact that EVERYONE from the age of 18-80 is absolutely HAMMERED!! Those fans, on the whole, get more retarded drunk at their games than any fanbase I've ever seen. That usually doesn't equal good things if you are wearing opposing colors.

On the other hand, you have CU students who are encased in a cloud of smoke, going "deeuud, didn't we like have a football geeem err something todeeey, pass the Doritos, bra."

All in all, I think it should be okay. For all you going, try to hit up 'The Sink' postgame if you get a chance. It is a classic dive bar that's been around forever. Great spot to have a cold one after the game!

6 years, 9 months ago

bmcmich1, that is too funny. I think they actually used to serve beer at the stadium. I'm not sure if they still do.

"Ah, the college road trip. What better way to spread beer-fueled mayhem?"

okjhok 6 years, 9 months ago

hilarious...I know, I have in-laws that went there and currently go there...good guys, but you're right about the substance (ab)use...not knockin' it, just saying

okjhok 6 years, 9 months ago

Check it out: http://collegefootball.rivals.com/viewCFSE.asp?selposition=4 There are other Jayhawks on the various other lists as well, but this really caught my eye. He won't be underrated on the national scene much longer if this keeps up.

bmcmich1 6 years, 9 months ago

tx,

It's been a while since they served beer at fooball games, however they served it at the Coors Event Center right up until last year. Unfortunately, this will be the first that they don't sell beer at either, which means I will have to stick to my usual practice of having enough before and after to make up for it!

sevenyearhawk 6 years, 9 months ago

maybe they get drunker, faster in the thin air!

their hoops arena IS named after Coors, right?

EVERYONE needs a KU hardhat:

I got mine at the SportsDome down on Mass St - I believe the owner is named Brian or Chris ...

bmcmich1 6 years, 9 months ago

Good spot okjok,

Some good representation at all positions and O and D coord. too, all well deserved.

I like the hardhat thing too sevenyear! Only two places you can wear one and not look like an idiot, a jobsite and a football game!

seattlehawk_78 6 years, 9 months ago

Thanks 7. I've been searching for a KU trailer hitch for what seems like an eternity. Don't know how I've managed without one for so long.

What do CU fans throw at opposing fans that would require one to wear a hardhat?

rgreene 6 years, 9 months ago

Go to the Sportsdome to get it. Brian is the owner. I used to work there while I was in college. He's a great guy who runs a great business. Good plug, seven. You the man.

bmcmich1 6 years, 9 months ago

They get pretty creative, seattle--anything from smuggled-in beer/booze bottles to batteries, etc...

But let's not paint the picture that KU fans are walking into Thunderdome or anything; these are isolated incidents that, while more severe actions than committed by us on gamedays, happen once in a blue moon there, and usually against Nebraska.

At least they haven't reached the level of the classy Southern Belle at Ole Miss who threw her heels onto the field last weekend--I mean who throws a shoe, honestly??? =)

vmwskywalk 6 years, 9 months ago

I'm a KU alum here in Denver. Just for the record there are something like 7000 recorded alumni in the Denver area. Probably more. I see KU stickers on cars about as often as I see CU stickers. I'm not worried about turnout. There will be plenty of crimson and blue in the stands.

On another note, I have to agree that the CU crowd is pretty worried about the game. We are getting no lack of respect. I work with several Buff faithful, and they seem to have given up on the game already.

Anyway, it will be good to see all the Hawk faithful. Go Rockies and

GO HAWKS!

Michael Leiker 6 years, 9 months ago

Two years ago, we were tossing one of those mini footballs around from the pre-season open practice while walking along a busy Boulder Boulevard and it rolled up in front of a CU fan. He rared back and gave it a mighty kick out into the middle of the street. We walked 3 feet behind him and yelled obscenities the rest of the way to the stadium.

I WANT REVENGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and my mini football back

That's my only bad CU fan experience.

6 years, 9 months ago

leikness, if you are attending the game this weekend, I hope you are able to gain a measure of revenge and defend your mini football's honor!

Thanks for the update, skywalk. I know there are some concerned KU fans as well. It's going to be a good game.

bmcmich1, you are on today!

actorman 6 years, 9 months ago

I'm trying to not get too excited about this team and assume things are already in the bag. The fact is that there's a reason KU is only a 4 1/2-point favorite. I fully expect KU to win, but I'm still a little nervous.

I'm also tired of having to constantly defend KU's weak schedule when I talk to my friend who's an Oregon alum. He's always talking about how much better the Pac-10 is than the Big XII and how KU hasn't done anything to impress him. The 'Hawks need to dominate CU and win big, just to shut my friend up if for no other reason.

sevenyearhawk 6 years, 9 months ago

I love it that we're incorporating movie references here!

Great Austin Power's ref, bmc! yeah, baby!

100 6 years, 9 months ago

Coach Mangino, Players and Fans (including me): Show up early if possible. Respect them. Play your hearts out. Shake their hands. They are really good people, just like us.

sevenyearhawk 6 years, 9 months ago

Ryan,

Had no idea, glad I did right by the SportsDome!

I looked at all the places around, Jock's Nitch, Jayhawk Spirit, Kansas Sampler, the various bookstores ...

that was the ONLY place that had the RIGHT helmets first, not sure since ... I actually made a couple myself, you'd be surprised how hard it is to find BLUE hardhats!

Beak 'em, folks ... and put on your hardhats! :D

William James 6 years, 9 months ago

Dont worry guys, me and Jimmy Dean will be dawning the hard hats on Saturday. Those things have brought our defense nothing but good luck. Im really looking forward to a strong turnout Saturday from KU fans. I was at the game in Manhattan and our turnout there was pitiful. The ones that where there at least steped up to the plate late in the game and got real involved. Hopefully, with our numbers we wont be waiting till the 4th Qtr to get involved. The D needs to know we are there in force! bmcmich-Thanks for the bar info. This is my first trip to Boulder. I might run into you at The Sink and not even know it.

scootja32 6 years, 9 months ago