Tuesday, November 7, 2006

Giles cited for battery

Incident comes days after KU player reinstated to basketball team

Kansas University basketball forward C.J. Giles was cited by police for battering a female KU student Monday night, days after he was reinstated to the team following a suspension for personal problems.

According a KU police report, the 20-year-old woman told police she was in Giles' apartment in Jayhawker Towers Monday night when he got a phone call from another woman, and told her to leave. She asked why, according to a report, and he told her his girlfriend was on her way to his room.

She told officers she didn't know Giles had a girlfriend, and that when she asked him about it, he got angry, grabbed her by the ankles and dragged her off his bed onto the floor. She told officers he continued to drag her into the hallway as she tried to get away, and that he then "struck her in the left side of her head by her ear" with his closed fist. She left the apartment and reported the incident to police at 11:30 p.m.

Giles admitted to police that he dragged the woman across the floor, the report says, but denied hitting her in the head. He was not taken into custody but was given a notice to appear in municipal court for battery.

KU spokesman Jim Marchiony confirmed the university is aware of the situation, and is gathering information. Marchiony had no other comment.

Comments

MaryKatesPillStash 13 years, 2 months ago

If this is true, CJ needs some anger management.

Also, though, the girl is stupid for thinking that a basketball player wanted a monogomous relationship with her.

FlaHawk 13 years, 2 months ago

CJ does not get it. It is not about did he do it or not.Life is about perceptions! CJ had built a reputation and Self was willing to let him have a chance to change it. Life is not fair and to be a BB player makes you a public target.

tis4tim 13 years, 2 months ago

Wow. I inadvertently did my best Nostradamus impression in my post yesterday about the CJ reinstatement article. I was on the case of someone who said "we are all human and we make mistakes".

A couple of excerpts (my previous statements in quotes):

"You can't just boil it down to the "Oh, we've all made mistakes" level. Of course we've all made mistakes. But, there's a deep chasm of difference between a travelling call...or punching your sister in the head because she took the last juice box, and some of the things C.J. has done (or not done in this case). It is a question of degree."

I thought I was being funny with the juice box thing. Substitute "sister" with "other woman" and "took the last juice box" with "happened to be half-naked on my bed when my girlfriend's sixth sense kicked in and she called"

Some more:

"I don't think reinstating him so quickly is going to teach CJ anything. Sure, he may have rectified some things and that's great. But he should have done that regardless. Doing what you should have done in the first place is not punishment. Maybe he will learn something from this. Unfortunately, some people never learn. I guess we'll find out a lot about CJ in the coming months."

I know all I need to know about him now. All the facts aren't in about this latest incident, but if trouble were iron fillings, CJ appears to be a large, powerful magnet.

One more:

"Some of these kids never learn because they've never been admonished for poor behavior or told "no". How many chances should a Lawrence Phillips get before a foot is lowered? Now, CJ is NOT Lawrence Phillips by any stretch, but at what point do athleticism and stats take a back seat to responsibility?"

CJ is CERTAINLY approaching Lawrence Phillips territory by smacking around girls like that.

Disappointing. As much as I was on him about everything, I always hoped he could turn it around. I suppose if he had turned it around he would have just punched it in the face anyway.

78jayhawkdan 13 years, 2 months ago

ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE!!!!

CJ...WHY?

how can this guy get a date anyway...oh wait, it wasnt a date...she was just laying on the bed...hoping something magical would sparkle between them and she would be mrs. giles in some perfect ceremony sometime down the road....errrrrrr...get drug off the bed not so ceremoniously!...i agree with only one point the guy above made...girl, get a clue, read the papers, or for god sake, just listen to the buzz on campus...cj has a kid and apparently a full schedule...you are not the one so just dog him out...it will be way worse than the ear slapping..... and for his actions....i was waiving the 2nd chance flag higher than anyone...(atleast to myself) hoping he would get back on the team... this is rediculous....adios amigo

your pimp hand is way strong, but your ability to make sound moral and decent decisions is not

tis4tim...its good to here from you

Michael Foulston 13 years, 2 months ago

I guess it's all academic now...according to ESPN, curiously not up on KUsports yet... http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2653005

I was hoping for the best, hell, I still hope for the best for JR...hey...maybe that's it...we gotta stop recruiting guys who use intitials as their names!

Oh well. Good luck to CJ wherever he lands, and hopefully it's on his feet.

Hawker, what's sad is the way people jump to conclusions when they weren't there and don't know what happened, and then spout their vitriole for everyone to see on a message board. This one is certainly generating plenty, and I don't defend the guy for dragging the girl or slapping her, if he really did. I'm certainly not defending him for putting himself in a bad situation, which is why I'm not attacking Coach Self for dismissing him.

Michael Class of '93

JayCeph 13 years, 2 months ago

Bayarea, good points but, this isn't the first time something like this has come up. If one person tells you that you have a tail, chances are you won't bother to stop and turn around to check. However, if many people at different times and places tell you that you have a tail, chances are you are going to find a nice quiet place to examine yourself. Given this logic, there are just too many people out there telling us that CJ has a tail. It is time we removed this albatross from around our collective asses and walked away from this silly drama. We don't need it.

FlaHawk 13 years, 2 months ago

Does anyone know his family background other than Chester moved down last year? CJ has some growing up to do and he does not know how good he has/had it compared to Chester in his day. CJ has tarnished the KU program at many levels. I hope Self reads the riot act to the team. They are even bigger targets now with JR and CJ (do we have anyone else that is referenced by inititals). Everyone needs to be on their best behavior NOW or a great season will go by the wayside! Self needs to step it up now or lose control of the program. Wonder what Lew had to say about all this!

mbowers 13 years, 2 months ago

bill self needed to take his own advice and give cj time to deal with his issues. if these allegations turn out to be true, it is going to look negatively on the jayhawk program.

if cj is innocent, then he should fulfill his commitment to the team. if he is found guilty, then he needs to be removed immediately from the team and make a public appology.

-bowers

cklarock 13 years, 2 months ago

Well, that's the end of that. Hopefully, he'll get his stuff together one of these days, but it won't be at KU.

Saad Saifeddine 13 years, 2 months ago

To be honest with u all, I dont really care whether or not he did what he's accused of....all i'm concerned about is that this might create some negative vibe in the team! I really hope it doesn't.. and I trust coach self on how to deal with this whole thing. Rock Chalk Jayhawk!!

JayCeph 13 years, 2 months ago

She was on the bed, getting boxed in the ears!

frompekka2sasha 13 years, 2 months ago

I feel sorry for his parents who were model citizens at KU. This guy has a couple of screws lose and needs to find religion in New Mexico with his buddy JR Giddens. I hope they revoke his scholarship immediately and give it to a walk-on who is busting his ass to be a Jayhawk.

Disappointed in CJ has turned to DONE with CJ. Get the hell out of Lawrence immediately!

brichwine 13 years, 2 months ago

what a butthole...the team doesn't need his distractions. Out. CJ, out! You blew it!!!

TKELuke 13 years, 2 months ago

That is not someone I want to represent me and my university. Its to bad that this happened but I think KU will be a better place without CJ.

CMKUbLu304 13 years, 2 months ago

Damn...I really thought CJ would have learned something from that whole ordeal...and start thinking before he does things, but I guess not. That was a stupid thing for him to go and do. I was happy for him when Self let him back because I thought it would help the team. This isn't going to help the team and I am pretty sure Self is done with him. He gave him a 2nd chance and he blew it, three days later??? I don't get it. Although once again, it hasn't been proven, and who knows if it really went that far...but in any case I don't see any more light in the tunnel for CJ. It's kind of sad.

TrueJayhawkChick05 13 years, 2 months ago

I'm utterly disappointed and disgusted by CJ's behavior, and I really don't want someone like him wearing "Kansas" across his chest. He does not deserve to represent my alma mater. Granted, any given student athlete at KU has plenty of skeletons in the closet, just like the entire student body, but being a student athlete comes with the understanding that you are a University ambassador and when you are a men's basketball player, you are also a public figure and local celebrity. I am definitely in favor of helping a troubled young man through a rough patch in his life, but KU should not continue to take the fall for his poor judgement. I want CJ OUT. Bill Self has given him enough chances, lest he risk comparisons to whatever-it-takes-to-win fellow BIG 12 coach Bob Huggins. CJ clearly needs to take time out and focus on pulling himself together in the personal arena - paying for the support of his children, controlling his anger issues, understanding the value of his scholarship-paid education and what have you. This team does not need a poor role model and distraction in its midst. CJ has got to go.

JayCeph 13 years, 2 months ago

Wow. Had to drag her off his bed? This guy must be something else... so many women and so little time. I know I am a guy but I just don't see the attraction.

Honestly, sounds like this guy needs to enroll @ Miz-zero or Oklahoma or something. Not KU.

Cut 'em loose! Too much baggage! Without having all the facts, the pieces still add up to being just way too creepy.

JBrownMD 13 years, 2 months ago

Perhaps the recruitment tactic of mentioning "Wilt was here" isn't the best tool... CJ seems to be following Wilt's lead, good and bad...

JayCeph 13 years, 2 months ago

Hey Bowers,

He already admitted to dragging her off his bed and into the hall.

Chico always said a 'pat on the back' is just a few inches away from being a 'kick in the a$$.'

Rivethead 13 years, 2 months ago

CJ was one of the seven that jumped and kicked the sh*t out of gangster boy while he was on the ground at Moon Bar.

We all know that JR got all the rap for that, but I was surprised nothing happened to CJ over that deal.

I guess we should not be surprised by this additional violence.

Once a thug......always a thug.

Teapot9 13 years, 2 months ago

CJ Giles is the poor man's Maurice Clarett

MaryKatesPillStash 13 years, 2 months ago

I am pretty confident that if Bill Self will remove CJ from the team, TrueJayhawkChick.

thelastjhawk 13 years, 2 months ago

Now MU has an answer for all those Clemens jeers

Saad Saifeddine 13 years, 2 months ago

Too bad!!! u blew your 2nd chance CJ! Maybe it's best for you and for Jayhawk BB that u leave the team and learn from all this. Damn it man you are an adult... act like one!

84Hawk 13 years, 2 months ago

CJ, Have your people call Huggins people at K-State. You'll be a perfect addition to his group of hoodlums. Or there's always Mizzou. They need some players! Or there's New Mexico. You and JR seem to be "two peas in a pod". Even if you didn't hit this girl in the head, the fact that you drug her out of your apartment by her ankles proves you are no smarter than a caveman. Is that how you treat women? You're mother would be so proud........ KU will be fine without you. Rock Chalk!!!

Dale Kroening 13 years, 2 months ago

So long CJ.Get reinstated,apologize to your teammates and then you slap a ho.Really smart after getting a second chance.You deserved a second chance but now you deserve to go!

JayCeph 13 years, 2 months ago

Does CJ stand for 'Convict Jayhawk?' Get him out of here before he stains the program any further!

jayhawk20 13 years, 2 months ago

So long CJ, have fun playing at Gonzaga.

Kyle Crenshaw 13 years, 2 months ago

what a way to take advantage of a second chance. i was really in favor of bill self given him another shot but he just blew it!

dbgjayhawk 13 years, 2 months ago

i hate to say this cuz i wish cj would have gotten his act together, but we should send him over to manhattan since i'm sure he'd fit in perfectly with huggins and the type of people he recruits. the k-state players will threaten to stab you if you beat them in basketball and then they mug you and steal your car anyways.

lionhawk87 13 years, 2 months ago

What an idiot!

Get off my bed b%*ch!! I have to knock up another woman and she's going to be here any minute.

Michael Foulston 13 years, 2 months ago

Damn fellas, is this how you all cope with disappointment? Lashing out in anger? I admit, this looks horrible for CJ, and I won't be surprised at all if/when Coach Self has to let CJ go, but this is still just an allegation, and we have no idea what else happened in that room. Yeah, he's probably done at KU, but the message board denizens are not the executioners.

It appears Giles is capable of making terrible decisions regarding his personal assocaitions and behavior, but that doesn't make him a thug or a criminal. Hell, maybe she hit him first when she found out she wasn't going to get hers so he had to forcibly remove her. It was his place, not hers.

And how much restraint would any of you boys be able to show with the quantity and quality of tail that throws itself at the jock-elite?

Like I said, it looks bad and if he's done, he's done and be gone with him. But let's not throw him under the bus just yet.

Michael Class of '93

rockbrooklynchalk 13 years, 2 months ago

Well that's that. No doubt about it now--CJ Giles is a deadbeat loser.

quigley 13 years, 2 months ago

This might be the most pathetic thing a KU basketball players has done while in lawrence. First everyone hates him for being an idiot and getting kicked off the team(which I understand),but then the town starts to forgive him, including self who gives him a chance to change his miserable life around, and then what does he do? kicks the whole town of lawrence in the collective nuts on monday night, Thanks CJ, but look at the bright side, follow your current trends, and you will probably be first picked in your prison pick up game!!!

dinney 13 years, 2 months ago

What a huge disappointment ! I was hoping with a second chance that Giles would get his @(#$*together but obviously he is more interested in all the women then getting a good education and improving his bb career. Self needs to send him down the road, KU does NOT need the type of BAD publicity that Giles is giving . Go Jayhawks ! Too bad for you Giles, you blew it big time.

Eric Beightel 13 years, 2 months ago

CJ, CJ, CJ. So much promise, so little smarts. You, sir, are a waste of a good scholarship. Thank you for realizing your full potential as a f@#k up and freeing up that valuable scholarship for potential recruits with a better skill set both on the court and in life.

They can't kick you off the team soon enough.

hawker00 13 years, 2 months ago

93jayhawk, How can we not throw him under the bus yet? Yes, it is just an allegation right now that Giles hit her, which he is denying. However, it is not an allegation that he dragged her off his bed and out into the hallway, he admitted to it! It is kind of sad that you are half-way standing up for him after what he has done. And using the excuse about the 'quantity and quality of tail that throws itself at the jock elite' is ridiculous. I understand it is probably hard for them, but when you are in deep s**t already, don't you think he might think about making better choices?

bayareajhawk 13 years, 2 months ago

Some of you people need to take it easy a little bit. I'm not yet convinced that C.J. is the only one to take blame here. The last time I heard a story like this where a basketball player was accused of striking a girl in his dorm room, it came out later that she was lying and had actually called the police because she was mad that he wouldn't watch a movie with her (David Moss at Indiana State, if anyone's interested). So firstly, we should wait until the facts come out before saying all these nasty things about the man.

Secondly, why are girls so stupid? You're on some guy's bed and he tells you to leave because his girlfriend is coming. At this point, it is clear that you are being played like a violin. Get out, don't talk to him again and tell everyone you know that he is a jerk. It's pretty simple. But this is not what most women do. The old saying about "hell hath no fury like a woman scorned" is true. Quick, recent example: at a friend's party the other night, a really drunk girl kept trying to pull me into the back room to make out with her. When I declined for about the 500th time, she got super pissed off and started making a huge embarrassing scene in front of everyone there. Her friends ended up dragging her out of the place while she was yelling at me and calling me names. I don't think I did anything wrong in this situation, but I'm sure it looked like I had done to the average onlooker. Also, I don't know what she told her friends but they clearly have no respect for me after that night -- when, if anything, they should be thanking me for not taking advantage of their drunk friend. The bottom line is, with "crimes of passion" like these, the only two people who really know what happened are the two people who were involved. Don't convict C.J. yet. The guy is definitely a player, but college athletes who aren't are the exceptions.

milehighhawk 13 years, 2 months ago

This just in: CJ Giles is a blasted idiot.

"Naw, man...I didn't hit her...I just dragged her a$$ out of my room."

lionhawk87 13 years, 2 months ago

Just get this clown out of my home town before he accepts some $$$ from a supporter and get the whole team in trouble again. We are already under suspension, let's not add to it.

davidmac 13 years, 2 months ago

It is really sad when a guy is given a chance to be someone and never takes the opportunity. It is time for the pink slip. I would also hope that Coach Self would have a long talk with the rest of the team.

Teapot9 13 years, 2 months ago

CJ has a girlfriend? Wonder who it is since he's always dancing with someone new at either Quintons or the Hawk.

mumpy1 13 years, 2 months ago

CJ you blew it! Didn't your parents teach you to think before you acted. No more opportunities for you at KU! Bye bye!

rockhawk84cp 13 years, 2 months ago

I have been a pretty supportive fan of CJ since his freshman season, even going as far to say that with some work and maturity that he could be the next in the long line of great KU bigs... however in light of recent events I must say that I support Coach Self's decision to kick CJ off the team... I thought it was commendable of Coach to reinstate Giles to the team, however CJ must have known that he would be under a very watchful eye and he screwed up again... I understand that it appears that CJ has issues that he needs to take care of and that the school should support him as much as they can, HOWEVER when it becomes apparent that either the indivdual doesnt want help or blatently disregards the help, well in my opinion then its time to cut the losses. Throughout the country KU is a respected program and one with a fairly clean cut image, and I would hate to see one person ruin that image. Cut CJ loose with the hope that he can improve his life and get his head on right, and if he does and has eligibility left welcome him back with open arms but a short leash.