Thursday, July 20, 2006

A banner day for KU barn

New signage unfurled in Allen Fieldhouse

Bill Self, on a late-afternoon stroll Wednesday in Allen Fieldhouse, gazed at the building's four new national championship banners hanging high in the north rafters.

"They look great. It certainly does a much better job of paying honor to those respective teams," Self, Kansas University's men's basketball coach, said of the 1988, 1952, 1923 and 1922 title squads, now memorialized with 9-feet-by-13-feet banners situated under a new "Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of the Phog" sign.

"I think it's certainly a big improvement, something to enhance the fieldhouse."

Also, new jersey retirement banners - which have added the years the players competed at KU and years broadcaster Max Falkenstien covered KU - have been hung in the south rafters.

The center rafters now have banners depicting KU's conference titles and Final Fours.

Also, a state of Kansas flag hangs with an American flag and KU flag in the south rafters.

"I know the administration is doing a good job of trying to do things to improve the building," Self said of the newly renovated fieldhouse.

"This is not a huge deal, but certainly one our fans will notice and recruits will notice. Fans will enjoy coming by and taking a look."

photo

New, bigger banners memorializing Kansas University's national champions - and a new "Beware of 'the Phog'" banner - were unfurled in Allen Fieldhouse in this photo from July 2006. A new banner commemorating the 2008 national championship will join these four Tuesday night.

The New England Flag and Banner company was provided a picture of the original "Beware of the Phog" banner and was able to create a homemade look to that particular sign.

"We think the banners do a good job of accentuating the best of the history of Kansas basketball," KU associate athletic director Jim Marchiony said.

"I think the 'Phog' banner updates that banner, makes it easier to read, but also keeps the tradition of the banner. It's what we wanted to do in renovating the fieldhouse itself - make it fresh, but not change it."

Marchiony said he did not know what the athletic department would do with all the old banners, which currently are being stored in the building.

It's possible they could be sold or displayed somewhere in the Booth Family Hall of Athletics.

photo

Banners honoring former KU greats also went up - on the fieldhouse's south wall.

¢ Fans interfere with recruiting: The University of Kentucky has self-reported a secondary NCAA violation involving UK fans making posts on a recruit's MySpace.com Web page.

UK fans posted comments trying to entice Huntington, W.V., recruit Patrick Patterson to attend Kentucky. Rules prohibit fans from interacting with prospective players.

KU coach Self, like all coaches, is hoping his team's fans will not invade personal Web pages of prospects and commit violations.

"I think fans are great. They certainly want to help for the most part," Self said Wednesday. "They can show their support by supporting their program : by not actually talking to recruits or trying to have correspondence with them. That's totally out of the realm of what fans can do.

"I believe the biggest way fans can help recruit is be so supportive of the program that people can't help but notice that."

¢ More on schedule: KU will play rival Kansas State at 8 p.m., Feb. 19, in Manhattan as part of ESPN's Big Monday. The KU-KSU game at Allen Fieldhouse will be at 8 p.m., Feb. 7, on ESPN-Plus.

¢ Select A Seat week: Pencil in the week of Aug. 21 for the next Select A Seat program at Allen Fieldhouse in which ticket holders will either show up in person or call in to secure their seats for the 2006-07 season.

¢ Bulls-Sonics update: Williams Fund members have received ticket order forms for the Chicago Bulls-Seattle SuperSonics NBA exhibition set for Oct. 15 at Allen Fieldhouse. Prices will be $60, $50, $40 and $25 depending on the location, with parking pass going for $15. Remaining tickets will be put on sale at a date yet to be determined.

Comments

DocBean 12 years, 11 months ago

That new banner is horrible. What the hell? They didn't update anything, they just make it look bad. Why didn't they just go to a local sign company that understands the tradition of KU basketball and the original banner??? or phone the graphic design department and let them whip one out?

They should have duplicated the original. I can imagine the Art Directors at New England Flag and Banner Company - "No, No that one's not quite right yet, make the top more like the original, and the bottom - more like a child made it.... Yeah, that's it."

jacqueshock 12 years, 11 months ago

The new banners look great. My first thought about the Beware of the Phog Banner was, "Wow, it looks like the original." I think it was a great idea to provide a picture of the original to the New England Flag and Banner company. They did a great job.

Mackadoo 12 years, 11 months ago

DocBean, what drugs are you on? It looks exactly like the original. I had the hardest time looking up at that plastic replacement banner with the shiny new letters when it arrived a few years ago. Who would be intimidated by something that looks like it was made at Kinko's?

jakejayhawk 12 years, 11 months ago

Kudos to the Sports Administration folks who continue to honor what makes Allen such a special environment. The signs look great in the photos and I cannot wait to see them in person. It is rare that decision-makers understand the value of legacy as do the folks at KU. It is one thing to have those great traditions, but it is something else to maintain and perpetuate the same. Thanks to all involved for keeping it special and unique.

jayhawkdan78 12 years, 11 months ago

they should have hired me and a daycare class for half the cost...

JayCeph 12 years, 11 months ago

I'm in DocBean's corner... the banner resembles the original but is harder to read due to the cruddy muddling of the old English typeface. The rest is okay but I didn't see anything about it that made me think that there was money well spent. In this case, props to the Atheletic dept. for their intent... it's the actual physical manifestation that is a little under-whelming.

DocBean 12 years, 11 months ago

I stand by my comments. I looked up the original, and it is similar, but the original was bolder, it filled up the entire space, had heavier letterforms, and had more impact. here's a link to the original: http://www.rockchalk.com/john/john/phog.html

It is closer than I remembered from my days at KU (studying design), but I think it could have been better. The banner should have been taller - the lines could be brought apart a bit and everything enlarged.

And why didn't they find a local company to do it? Support your town Sports Administration.

kmart81 12 years, 11 months ago

docbean...have you ever seen the original????this one is pretty damn close...close enough not to rip on it.

wwwalsh 12 years, 11 months ago

With all due respect to past traditions, the new Phog banner looks terrible. We use three different fonts on a banner that only contains 9 words. Besides looking amateurish, as a few of you have already noted, it looks incredibly unprofessional to underline, bold and put a phrase in quotations. They teach that in grammar and marketing 101 and it's in pretty much every design book ever written. It really does look like someone created the sign at their house a half-hour before the KU/Missou game. Not good. Using a bunch of fonts and word processing tools does not make a banner classy. Yikes KU.

robzimmerman 12 years, 11 months ago

Apparently when wwwalsh says "With all due respect to past traditions..."

What he really means is "with NO respect to past traditions whatsoever..."

Kyle Rohde 12 years, 11 months ago

Walsh, the banner is suppoed to look amateurish, it was handmade by students originally, not by some professional company.

wwwalsh 12 years, 11 months ago

All due respects to past traditions = the traditional wording of the sign is as good as it gets (who doesn't love the Pay Heed ... ?). The traditional way of aesthetically displaying the words on the sign is unprofessional.

Just because something has always been done a particular way, doesn't make it necessarily right.

jayhawktownie 12 years, 11 months ago

the new one looks terrible!

sure, the first one looked amateurish because it was, but this one combines the amateurish art with the plasticky fabricated look of the recently retired banner.

if we are going to have a professional banner, let's make it look professional.

if we want to keep the vibe of the old banner, let some art students redo it every few years.

wwwalsh 12 years, 11 months ago

Back in the 80's, I'm sure the banner was stellar. But now that we have better tools for the students to use, and that banner is shown to a national audience every time KU is on TV, we should ask ourselves, do we want KU to reflect amateurism or professionalism? For me, I'd prefer the latter.

youngitized 12 years, 11 months ago

I would agree with DocBean, the new banners look horrible. I just wonder what the athletic department was thinking, then again look who is the AD. When I see that I think...figures.

robzimmerman 12 years, 11 months ago

You said it, man... and while we're updating things... can we get rid of all those stupid latin mottos the school bandies about? I mean we've got english now; shouldn't we use it!?

The argument that the banner doesn't conform to traditional typographic rules is irrelevant. The vernacular style gives it a mysterious and slightly ominous quality... It's conceptually on target in that it conveys Allen as a pretty wild place to play ball. In this case, the intent of the message is reinforced by the form it is taking.

neverwrong 12 years, 11 months ago

It's pretty easy, folks. The original will NEVER be duplicated. This sign is much better than the last plastic one. An improvement indeed. I'm surprised some of you haven't complained about the statue not looking like Phog Allen.

tis4tim 12 years, 11 months ago

I tend to be a traditionalist when it comes to things. However, I understand the need to update from time to time. I guess, though, we HAD something that looked amateurish, because it was done by amateurs. If we're going to pay professionals, we should make it look professional, otherwise just leave it alone until the sign begins to look like a dirty dish rag and detracts from the overall appearance of the fieldhouse.

I fail to see the idea of paying a professional to make it look amateurish. That's what amateurs are for. That's kind of like spending two hours and $7.73 in hair gel to make it look like you just rolled out of bed. Why? The bed can achieve more accurate and natural results for free.

tdub 12 years, 11 months ago

Enough about the banner, does anyone that's not a Williams Fund member think they have a snowballs chance to get tickets to the Sonics/Bulls game. What about ticket allotments for the students? Once again, the new sports administration does its best to supress the student body.

jayhawkdan78 12 years, 11 months ago

DEAR RobZimmerman,

What the hell did you just say?

sincerely, the rest of the world

wwwalsh 12 years, 11 months ago

RobZimmerman - So if the banner used incorrect grammar, would you say the use of "traditional grammar rules are irrelevant ... the intent of the message is reinforced by the form it is taking?"

I guess certain fans prefer KU to display professionally done signs that look amateurish, over professionally done signs that look professional (by the way, well said tis4tim). Personally, I think KU should always try to look elite and professional.

Oh, and Latin mottos are generally not considered amateurish warrants mentioning.

KUastrofunk 12 years, 11 months ago

Wow you people complain a lot...I love the new sign. It remains true to the original and looks ten times better than the last imitation. Also, I'm glad we're promoting the 1922 and 23 championships. Nationally, people usually recognize KU as having won only two. Rock Chalk mi gente.

jayhawkdan78 12 years, 11 months ago

big WORDS= a need to sound smart...(yet not funny or witty)

...but everyone has their own demons...errrr...reasons for posting comments i guess

StarHawk92 12 years, 11 months ago

Bottom Line for me: The "Pay Heed . . ." Banner should be the biggest banner (WALL to WALL) in the entire fieldhouse. It should be big and intimidating and ominous. The original was more that way; I hope the next will be.

fletch 12 years, 11 months ago

That new Phog banner is horrid. It looks like some 12 year old discovered his computer had multiple fonts. Uggg. Put the old one back up.

JayCeph 12 years, 11 months ago

I love the fact that the '22 and '23 championships are being addressed as well. Maybe we'll get to see an '07 and '08 one in the not-too-distant future.

Jacobpaul81 12 years, 11 months ago

I must be in the minority, but I like the new banners. I do wish they'd have made the new "beware" banner larger. I love the lettering! It's just as it was back when it was hung in the rafters. The banner is a huge part of Allen's history and charm. That banner shows to the rest of America, just how tradition rich the University of Kansas is. We aren't concerned with glitz and glammer, fancy new arenas that seat a bazillion people, but with maintaining and improving on our great traditions and the Barn which we love.

I think a few people, complaining about professionalism, are a bit un-professional in their postings. I agree with rob that the typefaces chosen really convey the message loud and clear. Allen is the loudest, most hectic, and most difficult barn on earth for an athlete to step in and win within, and that is conveyed admirably with this banner. As I stated previously, my only complaint is I wish they'd made it larger so it would really stand out.

PhogFan76 12 years, 11 months ago

Jacobpaul - I'm not sure what your Friday and Saturday nights consist of, but I really don't consider crazy fonts and neat lettering a wild and hectic time! Maybe on the next banner we can get really out of control and italicize "Phog," or maybe we should use the shadow feature, small caps, superscript or subscript, or double bold the entire banner - then every team would be super-intimidated when playing at the Field House. We'd never lose!

DocBean 12 years, 11 months ago

wow, sorry I said anything at all, settle down people.

jayhawkdan78 12 years, 11 months ago

Jacobpaul...you are the weakest link...goodbye

jayhawkdan78 12 years, 11 months ago

does anyone think KU wishes they would have retired #12 now instead of #4?

wtarush 12 years, 11 months ago

"Fans interfere with recruiting" -With the anonimity of the internet, what would keep someone from declaring fanhood to another school and emailing their recruits with the intent of piling on the "secondary violations"? Go Tarheels! No, I would never do such a thing, but it may answer the question as to where phog went. I hope this Rose kid doesn't have a web page.

JBurtin 12 years, 11 months ago

Wtarush, I thought of exactly the same thing when I read the story on Kentucky. How do they know who is contacting the recruits and what school they come from? You could always lie on your profile and make yourself look like a fan of a rival school to give them NCAA violations. The NCAA would have to research each and every person who contacted the recruit to see if they were lying. If it became common enough it would be impossible to investigate all of the violations.

I don't hate the new banner, but if you wanted to recreate the original I think you have to hire a fan of the school who will make it a labor of love. My fiance is a very talented graphic designer (she loves KU) and she could definitely do it better. Maybe we can offer to redo it in a few years when this one gets old.

P.S Are there any Family Guy fans in the house. Stewie rips on a little girl really bad when she uses that stupid you are the weakest link thing to try and insult him. I cracked up when I saw jayhawkdan78 use it earlier. Somebody should really tell him that quoting that show wasn't even cool five years ago when it came out.

Then again, I wouldn't expect anything less from jayhawkdan. (1) He rips on Kirk Hinrich because he is one of a million annoying fans that approaches him every day, (2) he can't read big words (I understood what Robzimmerman said just fine, try reading a book sometime), (3) makes sweeping assumptions about the brothers of Derrick Rose despite the fact that he has never met them. What a D-bag.

Jacobpaul81 12 years, 11 months ago

That's funny jayhawkdan78. As far as I can tell, your 0 for 6 on responses that anyone in their right mind felt like reading.

As for your wild and hectic time Phogfan76.... you apparently didn't understand what i said... The point was that the sign conveys the tradition of Allen Fieldhouse... not that fonts are a "wild and hectic time" as you so uneloquintly put it.

that_guy 12 years, 11 months ago

Piss and moan, piss and moan....oh don't mind me, i'm still not happy they put up a video board at Memorial ::rolls eyes:: There is a small group of you, that will never be pleased no matter what this school does.

pjdeanwag 12 years, 11 months ago

Just put the old one back up. You can't get any more original than the original. Hung with love by students that made the dang thing out of shower curtains and house paint, the sign should never have gone anywhere. It should have been restored and put back right where it belongs. Why athletic department....why?

jayhawkdan78 12 years, 11 months ago

ok... 1) yeah i ripped on kirk...what you call an "annoying" fan is what i call a fan...its the basic formula of supply and demand...although he is a person, i challenge you to ask an nba owner what he is...a product...which requires a demand to sale...that demand= me, the fan...you, the fan...little kids, the fan...i still think it was a lame way to respond to a "fan" and thats that.

2) yeah, ive had the occasion to read a book, book and a half or so and have no problem understanding what ROB said...for the record i thought it just sounded a littl..a lot nerdish so i decided to rip on him too...sorry i failed to take into account the sensitivity of his sidekicks.

3) it's okay to make "sweeping assumptions" about stories or persons relayed in the stories...its called an opinion, which is what this comment board is for.

p.s.- JBurtin...once you have grammatically committed to "ONE in a million blah blah blah...i'm pretty sure you have to drop the -es on the end of approach to keep the singular continuity of the sentence.

note to self: Family Guy quotes and D-bag are much better comebacks than game show references.

drum1984 12 years, 11 months ago

This discussion has gotten as childish as the new banner looks.

hawker00 12 years, 11 months ago

It doesn't matter what the sign looks like, there are going to be people who like it and those that don't. Maybe the athletic department should start a new tradition. Hold a contest each year for students to make a banner. The winner gets their banner hung in the rafters for the season.

jayhawksnumber1 12 years, 11 months ago

Great to see everyone is "fanatical" enough to give their opinions about the banners. I can sense it is going to be a great year as well as an entertaining one!

DocBean, thanks for giving us a site to view the old Phog banner.

As to how the original compares to the new, and I stress that this is only my opinion, it does not seem as intimidating as the old one.

Even though I am mildly disappointed in the Phog sign, what is worse is that the championship banners are only in blue and white. I would have preferred a little crimson on them since our colors are "crimson and blue". The blue and white reminds me of Kentucky's colors and I sure don't want anybody confusing KU and UK.

Thanks for reading....GO JAYHAWKS !!!

jayhawkox 12 years, 11 months ago

I'm not really too concerned with how the banners look since everyone who comes into the Fieldhouse to play us should be a little more focused on trying not to get their butts handed to them on a silver platter by the team that Bill AND new AD Perkins have assembled. This isn't a democracy where moaning about every little change helps to foster debate. The money's already spent so worry about making the Fieldhouse as raucous as ever, not about whether they should have used Arial Bold, Helvetica, or Comic Sans to write out lettering on the new version of the banner. The fact that we have those banners at all is more than most school's can say about anything they have.

JBurtin 12 years, 11 months ago

This is absolutely priceless, jayhawkdan tries to correct my grammar and proves exactly how little he knows about the english language. I said one of a million fans not one in a million. Once again dan, read a book sometime, you might learn something.

jayhawkdan78 12 years, 11 months ago

JBurtin...your wrong, im write

ROCK CHALK!

Tubaman 12 years, 11 months ago

The new sign seems fine. How about one that says KU - the Home of the 12 foot baskets. ? ? ?

truefan 12 years, 11 months ago

No jayhawkdan78, actually jburtin is correct. You're an idiot.

JBurtin 12 years, 11 months ago

Hey jayhawkdan, it should be

you're wrong, I'm right

NOT

your wrong, im write

Quit while you're behind you're just making yourself look stupid.

Martin Shupert 12 years, 11 months ago

I don't know. Seems to me the best sign I ever saw in the Big (well... it was the Big Eight) was Colorado's altitude sign right at the free throw line for any visitor shooting a throw to see and think about. Maybe we should have a very small font across the free throw line, so small, only the shooting player would notice it.

jayhawkdan78 12 years, 11 months ago

JBUtt burnin...thanx fo da corekshun...i kant beleeve i spaled rite,wrong

ur so observent! we neede mor spel chekers lyke you

god, im so dum