Wednesday, March 11, 2015

TCU tops K-State at Big 12 tourney, will play KU on Thursday

TCU head coach Trent Johnson encourages his players during the first half of an NCAA college basketball game against West Virginia, Saturday, Jan. 24, 2015, in Morgantown, W.Va. West Virginia defeated TCU 86-85 in overtime.

Chris Washburn and Kyan Anderson scored 16 points apiece, and TCU held on down the stretch to beat Kansas State 67-65 on Wednesday night for its first Big 12 tournament victory.

Trey Zeigler added 15 points for the ninth-seeded Horned Frogs (18-14), who had been one-and-done in their first two trips to the Sprint Center.

TCU will play No. 1 seed Kansas in the quarterfinal at 1:30 p.m. Thursday afternoon.

Thomas Gipson had 16 points and Nino Williams finished with 13 for the No. 8 seed Wildcats (15-17), who finished the season with a losing record for the first time since 2003.

TCU had built a 58-46 lead with 6 1/2 minutes left, but the Wildcats managed to trim it to 64-62 when Williams converted a three-point play with about a minute to go.

Zeigler slashed to the rim at the other end and took a no-look pass from Anderson, getting fouled in the process. He calmly made both foul shots to give the Horned Frogs a four-point cushion, and Williams missed a long 3-pointer at the other end that put the game away.

The Horned Frogs improved to 4-0 against the Wildcats in postseason play.

It was a disappointing end to a frustrating season for Kansas State, one marked by a series of injuries to key players and the suspensions of several others. Kansas State had its full complement back for the Big 12 tournament, but it didn't seem to matter.

The Horned Frogs went on a 16-2 run in the first half while Williams and Gipson were on the bench with two fouls apiece to build a 35-27 lead by the break. Washburn added a jumper right out of the locker room, keeping a heavily pro-Kansas State crowd silent.

That's when Kansas State made its first run of the game.

Williams and Gipson did most of the work, but diminutive guard Jevon Thomas -- briefly kicked off the team last week -- also contributed a basket. By the time Gipson missed a layup and Thomas got a rare putback, the Wildcats had crept within 41-39 with 16 minutes to go.

TCU regained control after Anderson knocked down a deep 3-pointer, taking advantage of a stretch in which the Wildcats went 2 for 16 from the field to push its lead to 12.

That's when Kansas State made its second run of the game.

Just about everyone got into the act this time, Williams and Wesley Iwundu getting to the foul line and Gipson continuing to work inside. The Wildcats cut the lead down to 64-62 when Williams converted a three-point play, but TCU put the game away in the final minute.

Comments

Aaron Paisley 7 years, 8 months ago

I was really hoping KU could be the one to end KSU's season tomorrow, oh well.

Walter Bridges 7 years, 8 months ago

That's what I wanted but when watching the game, I couldn't help but cheer for TCU.

Dirk Medema 7 years, 8 months ago

Aren't they just a year removed from being conference champs? Didn't that buy him an extension to go with the DVD?

It is sort of fun to see them return to the good ol days. And while they may have snyderly visions of grandeur, my guess is they are more princely.

Jonathan Briles 7 years, 8 months ago

I was at the game and there were a lot of KSU fans. Almost all of which were calling for Webber to be fired after the game. They were not happy at all. TCU will not go down quietly tomorrow so I hope we come ready to play.

Gerry Butler 7 years, 8 months ago

Truly believe a lot of how this turns out today is going to be decided on how we keep Anderson in check. have to be able to limit his dribble penetration, pretty decent player, just can't let him dictate the game, and then the other area is we have to compete and win the rebound battle they have beat us both times on the boards. hope Perry will be ok, I kinda waver on whether he should play or not. I mean on one hand would like to see him play and do well, but having said that do we play him and risk the possibility of him re-injuring his knee and then out for the NCAA'S or should we let him sit and just take our chances in the Big 12 post tourney and then him be ready for the NCAA'S don't know which. Guess that's why I'm no dam coach lol. anyways hoping for the best, now time to shore up, play solid GO HAWKS

Russ McCaig 7 years, 8 months ago

Didnt get to watch the game... No mention of Foster in the article...???

Dirk Medema 7 years, 8 months ago

That looks like excerpts from the ESPN article, which I believe said he was 0-5.

Walter Bridges 7 years, 8 months ago

Yeah... He sat far more than he played. Fellow Leavenworth grad Nino Williams played well. 2nd round draft pick?

Forrest Ranjer 7 years, 8 months ago

My wife and I were planning to storm the court last night, but the sea of purple Cats storming the exit aisles were too overwhelming. What a bunch of crybabies. A friend from Western Kansas gave us tickets to last nights games and little did we know he was laughing the whole time. We were in the middle of the K-State alumni section. All purple except for our Jayhawk gear.

Before we sat down, I commented to my wife that it looked like the whole section mixed their colors in the wash. Then some lady asked me who I was going to root for. I just smiled and let them all laugh. I responded "the purple team, of course".

The next two hours was spent in hell. Every time TCU got the ball, the section was yelling that they traveled. Then they'd scream when they didn't get a rebound. It was pathetic. Someone complained about Weber and I replied that I kinda liked having him in the Big 12. The guy looked at me stunned. Dude, Self practically owns Weber! We appreciate having a 75% LOSER in our league.

Anyway, really wish there was a Jayhawk contingency that could have started chanting "Not Invited - to Anything", but alas, it didn't happen. And darn we wanted to storm the court. Had even picked out the security guard we felt we could overtake.