Saturday, December 12, 2015

Kansas among nation’s best shooting squads

Kansas head coach Bill Self directs his offense during the second half on Wednesday, Nov. 4, 2015 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Kansas University’s basketball team scored 75 points — third-lowest mark of the season — against Harvard the day after it was revealed the Jayhawks ranked second in the country in points per game.

Currently the fourth-most productive team in the land, the Jayhawks (7-1), who average 91.0 ppg, enter today’s 7 p.m. Sprint Center tip against Oregon State (6-1) as the nation’s leading three-point-shooting team at 47.2 percent from beyond the arc.

Oklahoma is second at 46.5 percent.

“I didn’t know that. That shows you how much I look at stats,” KU coach Bill Self said Friday. “I think (it means) we’re probably taking good shots. We’ve got multiple guys who can make a shot. We’ve got six good three-point shooters in my opinion,” he added, presumably meaning Wayne Selden Jr., (fourth in the country in three-point percentage, 59.5), Brannen Greene (8 of 9 on season, not enough attempts to be included on NCAA charts), Devonté Graham, Frank Mason III, Svi Mykhailiuk and Perry Ellis.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Bill Self on Gary Payton Jr., court-storming and more

Kansas basketball coach Bill Self discusses the No. 2-ranked Jayhawks' Saturday game versus Oregon State. The Beavers are led by Gary Payton Jr., son of a former NBA All-Star point guard, and Self says the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree. Plus, the Kansas coach revisits the idea ...

Download podcast

“Perry (4-of-11) hasn’t made a ton of ’em yet. He’s a very capable three-point shooter,” Self stated. “That’s good, but we don’t need to live on that. If we do, we won’t ever max out as a team. A lot of times making shots is a way to basically camouflage some other ills, but it does pay to have some guys that can step up and make a shot.”

The Jayhawks are a confident bunch in letting shots fly.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Perry Ellis talks playing in K.C., KU's offense and more

Kansas senior forward Perry Ellis speaks with reporters about playing in Kansas City, Missouri, at Sprint Center (venue for Saturday's KU game against Oregon State), the Jayhawks' three-point prowess and more.

Download podcast

“We have a team that can shoot it well,” Ellis said. “That’s not something I believe we want to live on. We’re knocking down shots right now (sixth in country overall at 52.0 percent). We’re still trying to do other things, also.”

As far as the inside game, KU is expected to have six bigs available tonight. Landen Lucas (toe) and Jamari Traylor (ankle) may not be 100 percent yet, but are expected to play, along with Ellis, Hunter Mickelson, Cheick Diallo and Carlton Bragg. Self said Friday he was leaning toward starting Mickelson a second-straight game, but had not made an official decision yet.

Podcast episode

Spodcasters

Sizing up the KU hoops season so far

Spodcasters Matt Tait and Benton Smith breakdown the good, the bad and the surprising from the first eight games of the KU men's basketball team's 2015-16 season. Second-ranked KU has jumped out to a 7-1 start, with its only loss coming to No. 1 Michigan State.

Download podcast

“We should have a full complement of players. That makes it really good. That also makes it difficult until you figure out who you can play,” Self said. “Perry gets his 27 or 30 (minutes). Everybody else gets 10 and you are at 80. It’s not going to be like that (all year). Hopefully we can find three or four playing well at the same time.

“Our fans will be frustrated some this year,” Self added, “because some guys will play some in some games. Situations may dictate in other games they don’t play as much. If you need energy, Mari is the best guy to have out there. If you need a low post heavy defender/defensive rebounder, Landen is the best guy. If you need a pick and pop person, Hunter is the best guy. Cheick and Carlton over time have a chance to be the best prospects. We have some things we have to figure out without question. The big thing is those guys need to be playing around Perry (14.5 ppg, second to Selden’s team-leading 15.9 mark). Nobody brings to the table what Perry does from a scoring or presence standpoint especially when he’s aggressive and playing well.”

Payton leads Beavers: Oregon State is led by Gary Payton II, son of the Hall of Famer with the same name. Payton, a 6-3 senior from Seattle, averages 16.1 points, 8.1 rebounds and 4.9 assists a game. He recently broke his dad’s record by recording at least one steal in 38 consecutive games.

“He’s a good player. Where he’s probably the most dangerous just like his father is on the defensive end,” Self said. “It seems like Wayne would be the best matchup for him because of size. (But) you put Wayne on him you take away pressure in a lot of ways. I do believe this is the type of player that both Frank and Devonté will probably have to take turns guarding. The numbers show he’s a great anticipator.”

OSU is coached by Wayne Tinkle, who has a 23-15 record in two seasons at the Corvallis, Oregon school.

Court storming: The Big 12 said on Friday it would issue no penalties to Iowa State for the court storming after Thursday’s win over Iowa.

“I didn’t see it (court storming). I heard about it. That’s too bad,” Self said of Des Moines Register reporter Randy Peterson breaking his leg as the fans charged the court after the final horn. “I watched the tail end of the game. It was an unbelievable finish. I’m happy for our league Iowa State won the game. It was unfortunate anybody would be injured.”

Last year, Self was pinned against the scorer’s table for a moment during a storming incident after a loss at Kansas State.

“No, no. I was never (in danger). My life was never threatened or my health in any way, shape or form,” Self said.

Of the area by the table in which KSU coach Bruce Weber tried to pull Self to safety, Self said: “It was a crowded house. I would say the fire marshal would have probably thought there were too many people in that respective area if they were to check it out,” Self added, smiling. “It was not a big deal.”

This, that: Landen Lucas’ dad, Richard, played for the University of Oregon from 1987-91. Lucas was recruited by Oregon State. ... Oregon State was picked to finish sixth in the Pac-12 in a preseason vote of league media. Arizona was first, followed by California, Utah, Oregon, UCLA, OSU, Colorado, Arizona State, Stanford, USC, Washington and Washington State. ... A win would give (6-1) Oregon State its best start through eight games since the 1980-81 team opened 26-0. The 1984-85 and 86-87 teams opened 7-1. ... KU is the highest-ranked nonconference team OSU has faced since Nov. 30, 1977 when the Beavers lost at No. 2 North Carolina, 90-64. OSU’s last win over a top-five team came in 2000 (OSU 70, No. 3 Arizona 69), and the last over a top-five team away from Corvallis was 1981 (No. 20 OSU 62, No. 3 Louisville 56 in Japan).

... Gary Payton II broke the Oregon State record for consecutive games with a steal (38) and is closing in on the school record for consecutive games with multiple steals (16). His dad holds the previous records. ... KU has won the only previous meeting, 84-78, on Nov. 30, 2012 also in Sprint Center. ... In Tinkle’s first year, OSU went 17-14 and finished seventh in the Pac-12 after being picked last in the preseason poll. OSU beat No. 7 Arizona for its first win over a top-10 team in 15 years.

Probable Starters

OREGON STATE (6-1)

F — Drew Eubanks (6-10, Fr.)

F — Olaf Schaftenaar (6-10, Sr.)

G — Langston Morris-Walker (6-5, Sr.)

G — Malcolm Duvivier (6-2, Jr.)

G — Gary Payton II (6-3, Sr.)

KANSAS (7-1)

F — Perry Ellis (6-8, Sr.)

F — Hunter Mickelson (6-10, Sr.)

G — Frank Mason III (5-11, Jr.)

G — Wayne Selden Jr. (6-5, Jr.)

G — Devonté Graham (6-2, Soph.)

Comments

Rodney Crain 6 years, 5 months ago

Great win for Woman's Volleyball!!! Congrats!!! USC is going to be tough but I think we have a chance to get to the final four. Go Lady Hawks!!!

Basketball - Scoring is great and we have a lot of weapons but rebounding and defense are the keys for us controlling games if there is a lid on the basket.

We can play great at both ends if we want to. I agree with Aaron without any dominating teams this year we have as good a shot for the final four and beyond as any one else. It is all down to if we play to our potential like we did when HC eroded our lead. Within a few minutes the lead was back at 10 points and we never looked back. We will see if form holds with better teams, but we have the pieces to make this a special year.

Jared Reeves 6 years, 5 months ago

Great comments by BS! He is one of the best coaches in the nation. Although I wish he was more of a stats guy. Stats can be deceiving, but if you know how to read them, they can be a great way to critically evaluate the team, and see if what you are trying to do is effective.

Defense is great and we have a lot of athletes, but scoring and dribble penetration are the key for us controlling games when an opposing player is getting hot (see Valentine of Michigan St, late in the game).

Steve Grimm 6 years, 5 months ago

Jared, I am pretty sure HCBS looks at and understands a large array of player and team stats.. Lol. He would never have this HOF history of success by just gut instinct. I think you are referring to his comment about not paying attention national ranking stats. I don't doubt that at all. Those are stats that 1) has no bearing at any game level preparation and 2) he has no control over.
If pressed, i do believe he would have guessed KU was a nationally high ranking shooting team though.

Jared Reeves 6 years, 5 months ago

Steve, BS said, "I didn't know that. That shows you how much I look at stats."

I understand your interpretation but I disagree. When BS said "I didn't know that," he was referring to the specifics (opponents 3 pt shooting percentage and/or their national ranking). Then he made a general statement, "(t)hat shows you how much I look at stats.

You might be right that BS looks at stats a lot, but I take him at his word. Also, this is not the first to BS has downplayed the value of stats. For example, “(y)ou know, stats can sometimes be very overrated,” Self said.

Dirk Medema 6 years, 5 months ago

I think you're talking about 2 different things:

1. National or conference stats - comparing our team to other teams.

2. Team stats - how our team is performing.

There is a difference. Coach was obviously talking about the former that he doesn't pay attention to.

Kit Duncan 6 years, 5 months ago

Coach Self is a stats guy, he just feigns ignorance sometimes. He's more attentive to individual player stats and which five players match up best against the opposing five. Self doesn't care whether KU leads the nation in any stat, just that they continue to play the way he wants, and that they win.

Jared Reeves 6 years, 5 months ago

Kit, you might be right, but the only stats I hear BS citing consistently are rebounds and opponents field goal percentage. I would be interested in any evidence you can find that shows BS is stats guy. Over the years, it seems, BS has consistently downplayed most stats.

Jay Scott 6 years, 5 months ago

" I would be interested in any evidence you can find that shows BS is stats guy."

Even among your endless stream of absurd comments. That stands above. What would such evidence look like Jared? A report from Google that Self spends 25% more time web searching stats than Roy Williams? A photo showing that Self's home is actually full of file cabinets containing stats? A recent win by Self on an unreleased ESPN stats quiz tournament? An affidavit from Self staffers that he demands to be referred to as "stats guy" What?

I'm sure you'll whine and cry about someone pointing out how absurd your comment is. You'll undoubtedly want to use your go to insult of "troll". Your question was textbook trolling.

Kent Richardson 6 years, 5 months ago

I know Jared probably doesn't see the humor in this but, Jay, statistically speaking you scored:

Four sarcastic comments

Three personal Jared comments

Two direct questions, and

One observation statement.

Lol

Jay Scott 6 years, 5 months ago

Like hitting for the cycle? It seems kind of unfair. He's inclined toward the absurd at the best of times. His first comment on this article was just past 4 AM. He's likely one of: tired, drunk, hungover or grouchy because he's up working the breakfast shift on a Saturday.

Kent Richardson 6 years, 5 months ago

Hitting for the cycle, nice.

I personally have been all of the things you describe including the dreaded breakfast shift on a Saturday. Nice way to pick up chicks. Lol. Jared may have been on a south sea island and it was only midnight.

Jay Scott 6 years, 5 months ago

Posting online nonsense at midnight on a south sea island? That would be sad.

Jared Reeves 6 years, 5 months ago

Kent, I don't think he realizes you aren't complimenting him, LOL. Where is the partridge in the pear tree?

Kent Richardson 6 years, 5 months ago

Partridge in a pear tree? Topical and seasonal! I wish I would have said that.

Jared Reeves 6 years, 5 months ago

Jay you insist on trolling me. How many times to I have to tell you I will not converse with you. I will talk with, and explain my arguments to anyone else. I am sure everyone else knows the simple difference between a asking for evidence to someone else's claim (whether BS is a stats guy), and making my own claim. Clearly, asking for, or providing, evidence to back up an argument is a foreign concept to some people; otherwise they wouldn't ask what evidence is necessary to defend a claim.

(Feel free to have the last word)

Jared Reeves 6 years, 5 months ago

Rodney, I appreciate the advice. I am trying a different strategy first. If it doesn't work, I may follow your advice.

Marius Rowlanski 6 years, 5 months ago

RC was thought of being a troll even though the vast majority of his comments were directed at what someone had posted and not who posted it.

I think most people have finally realized that RC just isn't going to go along with the "infallibility of HCBS" or worry about being called a "the sky is falling chicken" when he can statistically backup most of his comments.

Jared – IMO, the best strategy is to completely disregard Jay until Jay starts to argue the facts and not ad hominem attacks against the poster instead of the merit of his comment.

I also think that just about everyone goes through a period of being attacked at some point or another. It's extremely hard for me to do but if you can, never respond. Know that your comments actually add to the conversation.

Brett McCabe 6 years, 5 months ago

That is one heavy dose of revisionist history. And it smells a little rotten.

Marius Rowlanski 6 years, 5 months ago

Brett - I feel that you are also someone who can go from very insightful viewpoints to an all out attack on a poster. Revisionist history? I am probably guilty or at least guilty to generalizations or even glossing over the facts.

I don't think we've ever had any issues. I've learned to let most things go that aren't related to the facts or viewpoints from my post. If someone wants to call me a moron or an idiot then they are certainly welcome to do so.

Jay Scott 6 years, 5 months ago

Still waiting for your example of a viable comment from Jared. What's your great example of his insight? Anything?

Do you consider his childish side door attacks something that "add to the conversation"?

Seriously. are you his therapist?

Jared Reeves 6 years, 5 months ago

Marius, I appreciate the advice. My dilemma is that I enjoy discussing KU basketball, and enjoy when my opinion is challenged (civilly) and want to be clear that I will respond to others. I don't want a non-response to trolls to give the appearance that I don't enjoy responding to critical comments/attacks. Oddly enough, I enjoy the pushback (from non-trolls). Since I am new here, once people figure that out, I will not respond to the troll.

On a side note...what I have found interesting about trolls, is that they think they are uniquely witty--as if any half-wit couldn't do exactly what they do.

Jay Scott 6 years, 5 months ago

Jared. Enough of the crying and the side door attacks."Any half wit"? You cry like a baby when someone makes a similar comment that might in any way be relevant to your comments. Grow up.

You say stupid things, When ANYONE questions your stupid comment, you make yourself look even more stupid by asking something like "I would be interested in any evidence you can find that shows BS is stats guy." Alternatively you attack people who make simple concise points that counter your idiotic statements. News flash. Disagreeing with you isn't trolling. Grow up.

If you don't want people to examine your comments, don't make them publicly. It's that simple. BE a man, stop crying. Show something more adult than another trolling insult.

Alan Dickey 6 years, 5 months ago

Who is "Mari"--the energy guy mentioned in the article?

Robert Brock 6 years, 5 months ago

Glad you get it - Traylor is in his fifth year at KU.

Kent Richardson 6 years, 5 months ago

If Traylor had excelled in Maui like Selden did in Korea we could have had used JaMaui and Soeul Man all year. Missed opportunities. Drat.

Alan Dickey 6 years, 5 months ago

I'm glad you're glad. I follow KU pretty heartily, but don't fallow all nicknames religiously, and generally refer to Traylor as "Traylor" as you just called him. He didn't play much tonight, which is good, given that Mickelson is better.

Dirk Medema 6 years, 5 months ago

What's religious about reading articles and paying attention to how teammates refer to one another?

Alan Dickey 6 years, 5 months ago

I don't pay enough attention to that to satisfy you I'm sure. I do pay attention to the things that matter. I don't know if they all call each other "whammy" or "whippy," but I do not know for sure without occasionally asking a question about that. I follow the Jayhawks pretty diligently for a sane person. I am raising a family of two fine sons, have increasingly successful business interests, and just bought some beautiful mountain property in Colorado that I am developing. But I'm sure spending more time thinking about nicknames to avoid your condemnation would serve me better. I'll spend more focus on sport nicknames in the future. Much importance.

Kent Richardson 6 years, 5 months ago

Okay team, here is a chance to see if we have improved on defense since Valentine. OSU's Payton leads the Beavers in scoring, rebounds, assists and steals. I haven't seen a locker downer emerge yet. It's probably going to be Frank or DeVonte on him, for awhile at least.

The Beavers may use the Oedipus Complex strategy against us. Payton Jr, son of NBA Gary, Thompson Jr., son of Syracuse, 7th leading all time scorer, star Stephen Thompson who is coach at Cal State Los Angeles and, former CBA player, Coach Tinkle's son Tres Tinkle. That's 38 ppg the Gods have allowed the Beavers. We have to find their Achilles heel I guess.

OSU will also be a full strength since the return from a broken foot of 6'7" senior forward Jarmal Reid who last week played 22 minutes against Nevada putting up 7 pts, 5 boards and 4 assists. Maybe Perry can post him up.

Jared Reeves 6 years, 5 months ago

Oedipus Complex strategy, LOL. Great stuff as always Kent.

Rodney Crain 6 years, 5 months ago

Up all night again Kent? lol Love the post.

It will be a nice challange tonight for sure. Looking forward to it.

Jay Scott 6 years, 5 months ago

Rolling Oedipus and "locker downer" into one...how about the job by Devonte holding Bryce Alford to 1/6?

Kent Richardson 6 years, 5 months ago

We could roll Bryce into the Oedipus team. I would love to see Devonte be that guy. I didn't watch the UCLA game. Parker was a stud against Kentucky but according to what I heard he wasn't really against us. When it's that early....

Marius Rowlanski 6 years, 5 months ago

Payton Jr, was pretty much a steal for Oregon. I've only seen him once (last night) but he certainly looks like he has NBA potential.

Martin Rosenblum 6 years, 5 months ago

"... I haven't seen a locker downer emerge yet..." Love that Kent!

How bout a "stepper backer" who tries to boost his 3pt stats? Or, a "picker/popper"? Could go on forever.......

Barry Weiss 6 years, 5 months ago

I hope Cheick starts soon. He is one alpha dog that is for sure.

Matt Gonzo 6 years, 5 months ago

Heck yeah they stormed the court! Huge huge win against an unranked opponent. Much to be proud of. Mr Weatherwax must be excited.

Chad Smith 6 years, 5 months ago

Iowa State storms the court after beating IOWA??? Cmon. You are ranked 4th in the country and won a game at home you were expected to win. I know it's a rivalry game, but even after KU beat Missouri(2012) the last game of the season in the last installment of the rivalry to decide who won the Big 12, KU fans didn't storm the court.

Iowa State just lost some hilton magic in my mind.

Kent Richardson 6 years, 5 months ago

it has been a serious downhill run for Mizzou since those days.

Michael Lorraine 6 years, 5 months ago

What does it say about your program when your head coach leaves for Tulsa.

Jay Scott 6 years, 5 months ago

BREAKING NEWS! - STAT MAN sighting.

Irrefutable proof that Bill Self is indeed "Stat Man" was observed today. A masked superhero burst through the front doors at Dempsey's during the lunch hour. He was wearing a crimson and blue cape, mask and tights with yellow accent piping and "STAT MAN" emblazoned on his chest and cape back. He made his way to the bar and declared "all these lunch tabs are on me!" pulling out his plastic.

As he left out onto Vermont Street he declared, "this is for you Jared!"

The name on the credit card? Bill Self.

Brett McCabe 6 years, 5 months ago

Excellent analysis and contribution to the story. Not only thoughtful, but mature, respectful and purposeful. Are you sure that diploma doesn't say KSU?

Jay Scott 6 years, 5 months ago

Didn't read the other comments Brett? All your comments are strictly based on the article and not the discussion? Then why did you respond?

Marius Rowlanski 6 years, 5 months ago

Some positive recruiting information: Josh Jackson will be making an official visit to Kansas January 16, 2016. That's fairly close to when we got our first commitment for the class of 2015 when Bragg committed to Kansas.

I think we are clearly in the lead with Jarrett Allen. Josh Jackson, Jarrett Allen and either Marques Bolden or Udoka Azubuike would certainly move us up to the top five in the team rankings. I don't see Bragg leaving, most of his draft predictions aren't in the first or second round. Selden is a late second rounder but if his play continues, he will certainly move up. Ellis is either a late second rounder or not listed. I personally think he can make a strong contribution in the NBA IF he is in the right position with the right team.

Kent Richardson 6 years, 5 months ago

It will be interesting how the recruiting plays out. Jackson would be a monster three guy.

With the small ball fad in the NBA someone will pick up Selden for sure. Perry is a better than average D1 player who always seems to be more valuable scoring and rebounding during conference. His time is coming and we need him to. He was better with more inside help and maybe is more impacted by the three guard change than I realize.

Jared Reeves 6 years, 5 months ago

Marius, that's great news. Thanks for the info.

Rodney Crain 6 years, 5 months ago

Tick Tick Tick, excellent news Marius at this point I would love anyone, really anyone - Bueller, Bueller. Bueller...