Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Coach Bill Self looks to KU bench for more production

The Kansas bench celebrates a late bucket against UCLA during the second half Tuesday, Nov. 22, 2011 at the Lahaina Civic Center.

Kansas University basketball coach Bill Self has certain numbers in mind when it comes to production from his key reserves.

“Realistically, if we could get close to 50 minutes out of our bench, I’d be happy with that,” said Self, who used three subs (Conner Teahan, Naadir Tharpe, Justin Wesley), who combined for 30 minutes in last Wednesday’s 68-61 loss to Duke. The Blue Devils’ three subs, coincidentally, also played 30 minutes in the Maui Invitational title game.

“That’d be a couple guys getting 15 each and a couple 10 each,” Self added. “If we could get to where you are having a productive 50, I think we’d be in pretty good shape.”

Of junior forward Kevin Young, who didn’t play versus Duke, Self said: “He is still thinking, not reacting. I think he can be more aggressive. I mean that in a positive way, having more of a presence out there and getting his hands on balls, carrying out assignments, doing things we know he can do. When he starts doing those things, he’ll start scoring a little more, no question.”

The 6-foot-9 Wesley said his foul trouble was “something that’s very correctable and something I think I’ll have (corrected) by the game Wednesday. I shouldn’t have used my hands like that.”

Asked about his penchant for fouling, Wesley said: “I think it was just sitting out a year (after transferring from Lamar). In practice we don’t call fouls,” he said with a smile. “We don’t have out of bounds, so people don’t get around me too much in practice. I’ve got to get out of that habit (holding), and I will.”

Jayla update

Jayla Paris, sister of KU’s Thomas Robinson, will continue to live with her birth father, James Paris, it was decided Tuesday in circuit court in Prince George County, Md. A complaint for custody of Jayla by the stepbrother of the late Lisa Robinson (mother of Thomas and Jayla) was dismissed by consent on Tuesday. An attorney in the case told the Journal-World that Jayla “is doing terrific in school in D.C., is an honor-roll student, taking piano lessons. She is doing great. Life is progressing well.”

Stats, facts

KU won the only previous meeting with tonight’s foe, Florida Atlantic, 87-49, on Nov. 27, 2007. The Owls were coached by former KU guard Rex Walters. ... Robinson has five straight double-doubles, which ties for third on the consecutive double-double list at KU. The record is seven set twice before by Raef LaFrentz (1998) and Drew Gooden (2002). Robinson is the first Jayhawk to record five-straight double-doubles since Wayne Simien in 2005.

Comments

kusayzone 10 years, 5 months ago

great news all around.....great to be a KU fan

REHawk 10 years, 5 months ago

If it is to be written in stone that bench players tonight will get 50 minutes or thereabouts, I'm hoping to see Naadir get 15 or more, running the point.

ClydeTurnbuckle 10 years, 5 months ago

This was as difficult a first month of basketball as I can remember KU ever playing. These bench guys had it rough right out of the gate. The slate of confidence boosters we have lined up should get them more comfortable.

Ron Prichard 10 years, 5 months ago

I'm glad to hear TRob's little sister, Jayla, is doing well. I know it's really none of our business, but I think the update was well written. The court filings are public record and the short attorney comment stayed away from anything too personal. When I see TRob's twitter pic of Jayla it reminds me there is more to life than sports and basketball and we all need to have a little perspective. Great to know things are going well.

Now...let's put a beat down on FAU!

RCJH!

Clarence Haynes 10 years, 5 months ago

Hope that she gets a chance to see her brother play at AFH!

mandomax 10 years, 5 months ago

no question that Robinson shatters the consecutive double-double record with the next three opponents coming up at home!

Thad Daugherty 10 years, 5 months ago

Let me start by saying I love KUBB and we are very fortunate to have HCBS. And, I also know I am going to get my hand slapped. But, I DO NOT understand why, when TOT (Turn Over Tyshawn) is losing the handle on the rock and making bad decisions he gets such a long rope. You want to get Naadir Tharpe and Kevin Young (he hasnt looked terrible in the games I've watched) more minutes? You control who goes into the game. I have a lot of respect for what Teehan has accomplished but he just looks a couple of steps slower than everyone else. If he isn't knocking down treys maybe we need to sub for him. I am not a coach or have delusions that I could. I just needed to vent a little.

Jack Wilson 10 years, 5 months ago

From the article --- Of sophomore forward Justin Wesley, who had five fouls in 10 minutes versus Duke, Self said: “Keeping his hands off the opponent would be a good start. When I was here coaching as a GA (grad assistant under Larry Brown), we had a guy named (Greg) Dreiling and (Danny) Manning who played inside. They (refs) didn’t call fouls on them, but as soon as (Chris) Piper checked in, he got three quick whistles and didn’t do half as much as the other guys do. I do believe bench guys don’t get the same respect starters do. We’ve got to be better than that (in not fouling).”

He is exactly right. This is why refs/umpires/officials suck, in general. I mentioned in a prior post how Wesley seemed to be the guy that got the quick whistle. They balance out the fouls. They made calls for reasons unrelated to what is actually occurring. And they are not accountable for their egregious failures .. see the phantom call vs. Withey. The officials, as a group, every sport, every level . fall back on the lame excuses "it's a hard job" and "we're human." Folks get fired from "hard jobs" all the time, many times because "they're human" and make mistakes. Officials seem to be untouchable. And the sports leagues sanction it .. again, at all levels. It is seems as if officiating failures are accepted.

I maintain that the official that called the foul on Withey should be suspended or fired. My guess is that has occurred many other times.

Being around officials at many levels, and many sports .. and being one myself in the past .. I have heard the talk. "Let's get this game over with"; "That coach is going to wish he didn't say that to me" .. as well as witnessing and hearing multiple things completely out of line for officials. Lots of personal opinions and biases that cause calls or non-calls, that influence how they handle the game. I have seen incompetent, horrible officials continue to get important games because they're buddies with the scheduling supervisor. I've seen supervisors argue that a rule isn't really "the rule" unless the official says it is.

I have maintained this for a long time .. given all of the NCAA officials, you are telling me that some of these guys aren't crooks? Aren't taking payments for influencing the outcome of games? I firmly believe that this is going on. After all, fraud and theft and committing illegal acts occurs in all other phases of life. The all mighty dollar is a powerful influence everywhere else; why not related to NCAA officials? Unlike the NFL, there is no all encompassing security force that police officials.

(cont)

Jack Wilson 10 years, 5 months ago

(cont)

And you don't think organized crime has the claws into some of these guys?

One of the games I look back on was Baylor/Duke game in the Elite 8 in 2010. There are many, many other suspicous things that we all of seen watching sports.

And remember, it's not always the game result .. it's the spread. It can be a prop bet. It can be anything someone .. legal or illegal .. is taking bets on.

I have seen some excellent officials. Great guys. Diligent about rules. But as a group .. not all, of course .. but as a group . officials are the absolute worst part about sports at any level.

Kye Clark 10 years, 5 months ago

That Duke/Baylor game was the worst officiated game I can remember. Was thinking about that the other day when we got hosed on some of the calls.

Michael Bratisax 10 years, 5 months ago

Really hope you are wrong on any point shaving and related activities but too realistic to believe no one is complicit. I think if we are to get more minutes from the bench, Wesley and Tharpe are the ones who will do it. As much as I like Conner, I think he is a liability on the court...just too slow and is struggling from the 3. Maybe Kevin Young can step up.

Alohahawk 10 years, 5 months ago

Much as I appreciate Teahan's support and efforts over his five years, sad to say, I have to agree. He is definitely a liability. Other than having Self's x's and o's memorized better than the rest of the bench, so far, it ain't been happening for him against teams with decent defenders. His footspeed is just too slow. And his 3's have been anything but consistent. Good against Division II teams, but Division I's eat him up.

BCRavenJHawkfan 10 years, 5 months ago

HEM, I'm with you lock step on the possibility of crooked officials. You are absolutely correct that other people in all walks of life have taken more risk for far less reward. Money will make a person do unthinkable things. We've got reality shows now that prove it!